52 replies to this topic

#1 radicalcy

radicalcy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:sailing, day sailing, weekend cruising, Chesapeake Bay

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:33 AM

I'm looking at a new cruising main, and have a quote from Peak Sails in Washington state. Anyone have any experience with or knowledge of the company and their products?
http://www.peaksails.com/welcome/
Larry Wilson
RIchmond,Va
Columbia 8.7

#2 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,041 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:53 AM

You are right up by the Banks Portland loft. I would get a quote through them for sure.

#3 OBW

OBW

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:23 PM

Have been told that Peaksails is owned by Art Kelly who closed down Kelly Hanson sails and started this.

#4 silversailor

silversailor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:32 PM

Take a look at Somerset Sails.

#5 silversailor

silversailor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:36 PM

Take a look at Somerset Sails.

#6 dogbone

dogbone

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:sailing, cars, and shooting things

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:22 PM

They do not have a loft, they order there sails from Asia. cheap sail= cheap cloth

#7 numnic22

numnic22

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:My Beautiful Wife, Sailing, Sailing, My graden.

Posted 25 February 2012 - 04:23 PM

I'm looking at a new cruising main, and have a quote from Peak Sails in Washington state. Anyone have any experience with or knowledge of the company and their products?
Larry Wilson
RIchmond,Va
Columbia 8.7

Call Cliff hunter @ Lee sails in Portland, Oregon. I am very pleased with the product and preformance. 800-448-2278

#8 IrieMon

IrieMon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 12:55 PM

they order there sails from Asia. cheap sail= cheap cloth

Would probably be simpler to list lofts that don't source their sails in Asia..............

#9 Peacefrog

Peacefrog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,420 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:40 PM

We don't :)

#10 CrushDigital

CrushDigital

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,810 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:54 PM

This is brilliant the guy asks for any info SA might have on Peak Sails and instead gets the peanut gallery recommending every other boutique loft under the sun and barely even mentioning Peak.

Damnit do I love this place.

#11 D.M.D.

D.M.D.

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:41 PM

Who's "We don't?"

#12 IrieMon

IrieMon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 05:47 PM

Who's "We don't?"

yeah... "peacefrog sails" comes up with nuttin' on Bing.....

This is brilliant the guy asks for any info SA might have on Peak Sails and instead gets the peanut gallery

The continuing banter provides alternative solutions and keeps the topic alive.... Is that so wrong ?

#13 Peacefrog

Peacefrog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,420 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:50 PM

www.doyleboston.com

#14 radicalmove

radicalmove

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 12:54 AM

OK, so I'm confused(nothing new). You say a sail quote from Washington State, yet
your handle and other info, says Richmond, VA.
If you are in Washington State and are interested in the best cruising sails you
can find, just about anywhere, I'd recommend you talk with Carol Hasse at
Port Townsend Sails. The Seven Seas Cruising Assoc. has endorsed her and
her work. And she gives a ton back to the sport.

#15 Reemul

Reemul

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 07:35 PM

+1 Love my Doyle Boston sails. Best I've ever owned.

www.doyleboston.com

#16 gone

gone

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 03:44 AM

Larry Wilson
RIchmond,Va
Columbia 8.7

Never heard of them but here are some thoughts to guide your decision...

To compare apples to apples with your quotes, make sure they tell you where the cloth is coming from. As others have said, cheap cloth = cheap sail.

Shipping a sail across the country is not inexpensive either.

Who is taking the measurements of your boat? Measuring a boat is not the most complicated thing but if a measurement is wrong the mistake can be expensive.

Make sure you have a strong understanding of their build process.

#17 ghillman

ghillman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:52 PM

I sent Peak Sails with a PO Box in Washington a payment for a headsail in early February and never received it nor will they grant a refund, return my calls or emails. Buyers beware.

#18 learningj24

learningj24

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 11:49 AM

You are right up by the Banks Portland loft. I would get a quote through them for sure.

Vernon, you might want to put in a disclaimer that you're repping Banks.

#19 two cold dogs

two cold dogs

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:58 PM

You might want to check out this thread

http://www.sailnet.c...nson-sails.html

#20 ghillman

ghillman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 05:21 PM

As a follow-up to my original post I received my sail from Peak Sails yesterday and rolled it out todayPosted Image. It is correct in size and the quality is as stated on their website. At this point I believe the sail is a good value for the price and would recommend them. If they would have communicated better with me and cut down on the delivery time I never would have made the first post. I was able to speak with a rep on Saturday after my post and seems they do want to do a good job and deliver a good product.

#21 CJV

CJV

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:26 PM

Just ordered an ATN sleeve from them. Spent time chatting w/ the proprietor. So far I'm.pleased. I recall him strongly defending US cloth makers, though, so I don't know what to make of the earlier comments about the cloth....

#22 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:09 AM

They do not have a loft, they order there sails from Asia. cheap sail= cheap cloth

..."there sails".....

WTF?

You Asian?

#23 oldestoldersailor

oldestoldersailor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:sailing and fixing my GOB

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:51 PM

I ordered a new main and 115% lapper for my 4 kn. Catalina 30 from Peak Sails in Seattle in early March. The sails were delivered to me in Canada in middle of May, not too bad considering the time of year, and bent on the boat just in the last few days. The fit, and quality of the sails is exactly as promised and at the price I paid, in my opinion, represent very good value. The sails were shipped by Corvus Marine in Colorado and I assume were built in the US as there was not duty charged on them by Canada Customs as there would have been if they had been built outside of North America. My communications with Peter, the salesman in Seattle, Suzanne, customer service, in Seattle, and Trey, shipper, in Colorado, were certainly satisfactory. The cloth appears to be of good quality with good feel and crispness and only time will tell how it stands up to my, at times, inept handling of my sails.

MAN CANNOT CHANGE THE DIRECTION OF THE WIND BUT HE CAN ADJUST HIS SAILS

#24 ocs

ocs

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 01:26 AM

http://www.sailnet.c...peak-sails.html

#25 Black Dog

Black Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 09:47 PM

Who's "We don't?"

www.doyleboston.com

Alright I will bite, if I ordered a Membrane sail from you where would the membrane come from? Boston?

#26 rushsails

rushsails

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Snow Skiing

Posted 06 June 2012 - 01:20 AM

I have received a call from a Peak Sails customer wondering if I know anything about them or how to contact them. The customer had ordered a sail and sent a deposit, but had not received the sail or been able to contact Peak. They do not have a physical address.

I have also heard that the owner of Peak Sails also operated in CO as Kelly Hansen Sails. I have also heard that Kelly Hansen Sails had a number of customer complaints for taking deposits and not delivering the sails.

If the above is all true, it is really sad. Getting new people involved in sailing is hard enough without having them ripped off by shady businesses. There has been a number of sail lofts in the past that taken deposits and then gone out of business or using the deposits for other expenses and not building the sails.

Scott Rush
Rush Sails, Inc.
NW Agent for Neil Pryde Sails

#27 12 Meter Freak

12 Meter Freak

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:What else?

Posted 10 June 2012 - 04:32 PM

Figured I would add my opinion as I have actually done business with the company.

I ordered a new radial full battened mainsail and matching 150% genoa in Challenge Radial cloth from Peak about six weeks ago.

They designed the sails in-house as I received 3-D drawings after placing the order to approve.

The sails arrived within five weeks from the date I ordered them and they are beautiful. I received quotes from North, Quantum and Ullman and the prices were not even close.

Here is what I don't understand. I bought their sails on their payment program. I put down 25% when I ordered them and then they charge my credit card each month for another three months. How can anyone get screwed in a deal like this. From what I can see the only people that can are Peak as they are shipping sails not even paid for.

As far as the dude from Pryde. PM me with the name of the customer who supposedly did not receive their sails. I would be more than happy to call Peter Murphy in the morning and find out if this is the case.

#28 ndj

ndj

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 01:29 AM

Figured I would add my opinion as I have actually done business with the company.

I ordered a new radial full battened mainsail and matching 150% genoa in Challenge Radial cloth from Peak about six weeks ago.

They designed the sails in-house as I received 3-D drawings after placing the order to approve.

The sails arrived within five weeks from the date I ordered them and they are beautiful. I received quotes from North, Quantum and Ullman and the prices were not even close.

Here is what I don't understand. I bought their sails on their payment program. I put down 25% when I ordered them and then they charge my credit card each month for another three months. How can anyone get screwed in a deal like this. From what I can see the only people that can are Peak as they are shipping sails not even paid for.

As far as the dude from Pryde. PM me with the name of the customer who supposedly did not receive their sails. I would be more than happy to call Peter Murphy in the morning and find out if this is the case.

12 Meter,

Can you tell us how much you paid for your mainsail and genoa and for what size boat? Which Radial cloth from Challenge did they use? Warp-Drive or a racing laminate or a cruising laminate?
How much were the qotes from North, Quantum and Ullman, and what cloth were they using for the quotes?

#29 rushsails

rushsails

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Snow Skiing

Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:12 AM

Check out the business rating of the owner of Peak Sails befor he moved to Seattle. http://www.bbb.org/d...1#reasonrating"

#30 OBW

OBW

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 11:24 PM

Check out the business rating of the owner of Peak Sails befor he moved to Seattle. http://www.bbb.org/d...1#reasonrating"

WOW

#31 MSA

MSA

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 12:20 AM

I would hate to see the BBB rating for something like the state Gas, water or Power companies, or a telecommunication provider..
I never pay attention to those type of sites. Not sticking up for the guy or business, but talking to people who have used their services is better than the new trend of "googling" how good/bad they are.

#32 boatpimp

boatpimp

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 12:46 AM

Larry,
There is a very nice sailmaker in Deltaville Va, who turns out a nice product, often an economical option. I don't know where you keep your boat, but that could be more convenient than shipping sails, depending on where you sail.

Latell Sails
Deltaville Va
*not affiliated in any way with the above business, just want to see more folks sailing.

PM with q's

Mark

#33 EmoryM

EmoryM

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:Boats,horses and my woman, not in that order!

Posted 28 August 2012 - 02:24 AM

I realize that this reply might be somewhat dated, but I just have too!
I just resolved an issue with the most difficult company to deal with. Peak Sails in Wa. state is on the list of "do not do business with".
I ordered a set of sails, main and a big jib the end of May. This company does not belive in true customer service. It took me 90 days to get this resolved. They refused to return most of my email requests and would not answer their phone. I was lied to about shipping dates and progress on my sails. I was quoted 3 to 4 weeks, however I do accept the fact that sometimes production scheds or delivery from Asia can get fouled up. So i gave them a little more time, my mistake! I got my money refunded thru my CC company in just days. I'm going to use a loft in Monterey. Lowest price does not mean acceptable service. Don't do business with Peak Sails, odds are they will screw you.

#34 Zephuros

Zephuros

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:Music, art, gardening, Eufaula Lake Ok. sailing and canoeing.

Posted 15 October 2012 - 01:17 AM

I bought 2 sails from Peak Sails for my DC 15 one design sloop. My old ones were burned by an arsonist a long time ago so I had little reference but memory to work with. The new sails don't use slugs like the original sail, but a boltrope to put in the groove the slugs previously went in. The sails are an unusual material i have never seen before, like a stiff plastic that makes a lot of noise when handling. I cannot get any response to emails or telephone to get information on how to tension and use these sails.

#35 head injuries

head injuries

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:fronting rockbands and sailing at night after a gig

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:41 AM

Ok well i just bought a set of sails for my dancer 19 they were great to deal with delivered to my door in australia inside the time frame they stated
they fit perfect look great are top quality and here is the best bit
the cheapest sails in the world and i got quotes from everyone
tasker would not honour the price match policy and gave me every bullshit excuse they could come up with
I was so impressed i wanna sell there sails for them.

#36 WHL

WHL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,689 posts
  • Interests:Offshore, Star, Farr 30, R Boat racing, and gunkholing in classic daysailers

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:19 PM

Ok well i just bought a set of sails for my dancer 19 they were great to deal with delivered to my door in australia inside the time frame they stated
tasker would not honour the price match policy and gave me every bullshit excuse they could come up with

You have to be a troll or a Peak Sails sock puppet to endorse these.

First you need to learn to spell. use punctuation and learn some grammar before you can sell. Perhaps the education "peaked" too soon :lol:

#37 ocs

ocs

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:05 AM

sounds a good career move !!!

#38 gaijin

gaijin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:some

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:30 PM

I had ordered a sail for my T 22, in September, I had had no response or sail after 6 weeks (from Peter) I contacted my credit card company and they refunded the automated withdrawals and cancelled my credit card.
I am now expecting a sail from Precision Sails from Victoria/Saanich ,BC, any time NOW.
Already prepaid.
Waiting with baited breath.

#39 gaijin

gaijin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:some

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:11 AM

Had a discussion tonight with Daryl H.from Precision Sails. He E-mailed me some pictures and said my sail would be shipped tomorrow or Monday.

#40 Sailior Stu

Sailior Stu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Sailing and, Sailing

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:34 AM

Just a heads up

Had a discussion tonight with Daryl H.from Precision Sails. He E-mailed me some pictures and said my sail would be shipped tomorrow or Monday.

Just a heads up I went and tried to find their location in Victoria (I live less than 2 miles from the address listed), loft is not at the address listed online... Their website does not show a single picture of a boat actually sailing with their sails. Also this Daryl character is totally unknown to everyone in the area. He claimed to be a Martin 242 expert to several of my friends that sail in that fleet. But know one has heard of him.

To be fair I'm in the business in Victoria so I have an interest in the matter, but equally I'm not in a race to the bottom for pricing. We try to offer good service at a fair price. I don't want to see anyone get ripped off. It would be good if you posted some pictures of your own once the sails arrive. Did he tell you where the sails were being made?

#41 Schnick

Schnick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:51 PM

I found the Precision website section for 'testimonials' kind of funny too. First a Hunter 31, that sounds legit I guess. Next a Martin 242 sailor talking about the genoa he bought - um, nope. No genoas on 242s and its worded like its written by the guy who wanted to send his agents to pick up my last boat and ship it to Nigeria.

Finally, a Macgregor 26 owner to fill up the page.

#42 head injuries

head injuries

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:fronting rockbands and sailing at night after a gig

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:57 AM

For the attentions of those above that feel the need to engage there mouth before putting their brain in gear My apologies for my punctuation grammar and spelling mistakes in my post I didn’t realize I was dealing with such an astute well-read educated person.Generally that type of well educated person would seek to understand before placing their foot in their mouthI was simply letting the member of this forum know of my positive experience with Peak sails that was seeking information on Peak Sails so as they in turn could make an informed decision based on the facts that they could obtain.As far as my ability to sell you don’t build run and sell a successful Garage door business then spend over ten years in the leadership team of Australia’s most successful home handyman DIY store’s without having some small idea of how to not only sell but do that with integrity I originality obtained a quote from Ben Gemmel who made the original sails when he worked under the Burke sails banner Tasker sails as stated in my original post and some of the other Asian based companies.Many lofts or companies didn’t even reply to my enquires Prices ranged from 3k to around 1.8k my peak Sails cost $850.0 delivered to my door with invoice paperwork and warranty So no I am not a troll or a sock puppet ,My name is Murray Jefferys I live on the south coast of Australia and if you Google my name you will find a storey the local paper did on myself and my little yacht So MSA and WHL I would be happy to discuss any other discrepancies you may have with my post in person if you have the stomach for that.However i would guess you are the type that enjoy the safety of hiding behind a keyboard
It’s not that I don’t care about you; it’s just that you are insignificant

Regards Murray Jefferys

#43 WHL

WHL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,689 posts
  • Interests:Offshore, Star, Farr 30, R Boat racing, and gunkholing in classic daysailers

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:48 PM

Murray. in the immortal words of Ronnie Johns... HTFU. This is anarchy after all. Considering that, and the fact you want to represent a company that no longer exists, dishonours orders, charges for non-delivered product, and you can't read the links in this thread to the history of this guy Kelly, you got off easy. It was a mild rebuke for either showing obvious signs of a Peak Sails sock puppet, or being somewhat thick and brain damaged to even consider representing an elusive, alleged con artist.

Righto matey... have a noice day and good luck with you finding someone to race. With one boat on the lake, don't "peak" too soon :D

#44 NYBOZO1

NYBOZO1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:17 PM

Anybody wanna talk about the thief RD McCarten who ran VMG Sails in So. Cal?

He simply ran off with the money leaving his customers and employees high and dry.

Prick.

#45 peak sails

peak sails

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:06 AM

strange how things work out

Peak sails announces opening of new Australian office

Press Release

January 13 2013

Peak Sails North America announced the opening of its first international location today.

Chris Stevens, a company spokesman, advised the office is located south of Sydney in Ulladulla New South Wales and offers the entire line of Peak custom and stock sails

Murray A Jefferys has been selected as Director for the operation and will oversee all marketing and sales.

Peak sails Australia

7 McKail St

Ulladulla New South Wales 2539

Australia

Phone .02 44544610

EMAIL. customerservice@peaksails.com.au

#46 ndj

ndj

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:32 PM

Peak Sails Acquired By International Partnership

Press Release
January 11, 2013

An international partnership currently involved in sail design and production announced the acquisition of Peak Sails LLC today.

Chris Stevens, a spokesperson for the new partnership, advised that Peak Sails has achieved tremendous success in the design and production of quality built cruising sails in the North American market for the past five years.

As a result, the acquisition makes an excellent fit for the partnership as most of their current retail business originates from Europe. Peak will assist in accessing both the U.S. and Canadian markets.

Peak Sails North America has been incorporated in the state of Nevada. The new entity will be responsible for sail design, new product development and world-wide sales and distribution. Production has been transferred to a recently constructed 31,000 s.f. loft based in Hong Kong.

Stevens advised that Peak Sails received orders for over 1,400 sails in 2012. During that time, the company lost over 10% of their business due to a group of individuals who systematically "manufactured" and posted false information about the company and it's previous owners on several large sailing internet forums. Most of the site owners took steps to remove the false content but the company received over 150 order cancellations during a 90 day timeframe. The loss of revenue adversely affected the company and previous management was unable to fully recover.

New ownership has committed financial, legal, technological and production resources to ensure the company grows into a major international sailmaker.

#47 ndj

ndj

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:45 PM

Strange how things work out:

On December 17, 2012, the BBB posted the following statement. A month later, Peak Sails announced that they had reincorporated as Peak Sail NA in Nevada, had opened an office in Virginia, closed the old website and opened a new website under a different URL.

From BBB in Washington:

On December 17, 2012, BBB recognized a pattern of complaints from consumers regarding delivery and customer service issues. Consumers allege products they have ordered from Peak Sails are delivered late or not at all. Consumers claim the company does not respond to phone calls, e-mails or chat requests from its Web site.
Reason for Rating

BBB rating is based on 16 factors. Get the details about the factors considered.
Factors that lowered Peak Sails' rating include:
  • 14 complaints filed against business
  • Failure to respond to 12 complaints filed against business.
  • 9 serious complaints filed against business.
  • One complaint filed against business that was not resolved.
  • BBB does not have sufficient information to determine size of business. BBB evaluation of business is based on rating formula's smallest size classification.
  • BBB does not have sufficient information to determine how long this business has been operating.
  • BBB does not have sufficient background information on this business. BBB made one or more requests for background information from the business. BBB has not received a response from this business and/or has not been able to verify information received from this business.

#48 R Boooth

R Boooth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:36 AM

You are going to get what you pay for.... Don't be cheap or the loft will make all that money back come year 4,5&6...

#49 R Boooth

R Boooth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:58 AM

If everyone here is a sock puppet does

This is a mighty strange thread. It was started by a sockpuppet or troll and most of the replies have been from sockpuppets or trolls.I don't even know or care whether the original question was serious or just a troll getting his rocks off.

There are a ton of well known sailmakers and sail suppliers in the USA.

There are literally thousands of people who you could contact to see where they got their sails and how the supplier performed.

I find it hard to believe that anyone wealth enough to purchase sails is so fucking stupid he would just send some money to some unknown mail order supplier.

if any one of you reading this is sumultanelously that conceited and that stupid...You deserve whaat you get.

I can name at least a dozen great guys who build sails. I have known each of them for at least 30 years. There is no way in hell I would EVER sign a contract with ANYBODY to have sails for my boat built without that contractor carrying the blessing of at least one of the well known sailmakers with whom I have dealt for the last 50 years.

That blessing might be as loose as . "Yeah Norm has found a loft in Afganistan and they have been making his rags since 2011. You get what you pay for."

but. I damn certain wouoldn't buy any sail from anybody without some personal knowledge indicating I would get EXACTLY waht I paid for.

if you want some new sails...why don't you go ask around and find out where all your friends have bought theirs??

Who is your local repair guy? Doesn't he deserve your business?

if not. Don't you feel any need what to ever to mend that relationship for when you do need his services??

If everyone here is a sock puppet does that make you one to you? Your reply says otherwise, sock puppet no, fucking dumb ass YES. You are worse than dumb, because the information you give out you honestly think is good, go back to general anarchy fuck wit.

#50 R Boooth

R Boooth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:03 AM

Get a good suit, don't buy cheap. get custom sails, made with good cloth backed by a good company that will honor their product. do it once, do it right.

#51 R Boooth

R Boooth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:07 AM

bump

#52 islandplanet

islandplanet

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:29 AM

What amazes me is the anonymity. I remember seeing the Peak site and they had a PO Box and revealed no names of anyone involved with the company. Look at practically any legitimate sailmaker website, and you can easily find the name of the owner or whoever is managing the company.

And why the hell would a "international partnership currently involved in sail design and production" want to acquire a company with a reputation for defrauding consumers? The only asset is likely the website. If this "international partnership" is a legitimate enterprise in Europe, why wouldn't they simply expand into the US market?

The claim from the spokesperson that Peak was in the market five years is pretty interesting considering they initially registered the website name in September of 2011.

#53 WHL

WHL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:46 AM

It smells; the reputation smells, the elusive nature smells, the reportts of poor service smell, so it defetas any logic as to why anyone would ever buy anything from them, let alone get all misty eyed by representing them. There are way too many good sailmakers out there with good reputations to bother with something with this smelly history

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users