18 replies to this topic

#1 RobbieB

RobbieB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 05:29 PM

It's a fucking shame and a testimate to the state of professional sailing in the US that this 80' masterpiece of monohull speed sailing is sitting in the harbor of the best sailing town in the Southeast and hardly anyone knows or cares about it.

Maybe it's the corporate sponsor "Maserati" who wants to keep it quiet in the US. Maybe its getting play in the european news, but what little play it's getting here is dicey and inaccurate.

After a 3 minute conversation w/one of the 2 Italian crew members who were on board today servicing winches when I found her, (and jamming to Dire Straights) here's what I got.

They set the transatlantic monohull record for the run Bermuda in 10 days, (some hours and some minutes). Average speed was over 17 knots. There are 8 of them sailing which looks like a big handfull for 8 guys.

Next up is the 24hr speed/distance record to be sailed out of Charleston! Yes, they will start right fucking here and I have not heard word 1 about this. Again, perhaps Maserati has no concern for possible US press from this.

After that they will make a run on the New York/Lizzard Point record.

At some point they will go to Maimi to entertain Maserati execs and allow them on the boat for tours and rides. However, beyond the crew and the Maserati people no one else will be allowed on board. That was a bummer. I would have loved to see down below, but I was not going to push. The guys seemed pretty intent on their work and least I be the one that caused a distraction where something got missed on a winch that caused a record ending breakdown along the way.

So, respect to the crew and the boat, but WTF with any kind of PR on this program? I snapped 4 decent pics and have them on my facebook page. Don't know how to get them here and honestly not interested in doing so as I feel I've already given SA enough free stuff to encourage the clicks they get paid for.

How's that for disgruntled?

If you want to see the pics just send a friend request to me. Let me know you saw this on SA and I'll hit the accept button.

#2 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts
  • Interests:boats, cars, girls....

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:10 PM

It's parked outside the law office where our 22 yo daughter works. She says the Eye-talian sailors are HOT!!:lol:

2 minute vid clip
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=rVdzzVIhR2w

#3 trenace

trenace

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,282 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:29 PM

Well, it's all pretty much as RobbieB is suggesting: Pics of the boat, and any information the team has about the boat, are undoubtedly a pretty hot commodity. One doesn't just put that stuff out for the plebians to consume, or worse, masturbate to.

They are probably saving the info about the boat for folk with bluer blood. Good plan.

#4 trenace

trenace

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,282 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:36 PM

More seriously, but as guesswork:

The plan may have been pitched as providing material for Maserati themselves to employ in their own marketing work, in whatever way.

It might have been realized that relatively little direct media attention can be expected anyway, so perhaps that was never part of the pitch, and Maserati was never looking for it.

At least two of the three records you mention are in no way newsworthy, because there is no existing record being broken, let alone a famous record that is challenging to beat.

#5 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:51 PM

Google only finds snippets mostly on auto sites. One would think that Brad van Liew would be working the media on this one??

#6 trenace

trenace

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,282 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:52 PM

What should he say? "News flash, I'm trying to break a record that doesn't exist... this is big stuff, you might want to stop the presses"?

Edit: not "break" but "set"

Basically, the news of this transatlantic "record" is that he successfully made this particular voyage. It could have been done in a Beneslow and still would have been "record-setting" so long as they ever arrived at all and the documentation and any other requirements had been met.

It may be wise to use this particular record-setting only in auto advertisements and articles for the automobile audience, rather than try to seriously make big noise about it.

Hopefully they will be doing more meaningful record runs in the future. Perhaps they are waiting till then to really broadcast their accomplishments and attempts.

#7 barefoot children

barefoot children

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts
  • Interests:Carbon boats and carbon golf clubs

Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:38 PM

Too bad that there's not more press here, Baker motors locally even has a Maserati dealership.
Do you think they don't even know about the boat???

#8 trenace

trenace

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,282 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:41 PM

Actually that could be an idea, and I wonder why they aren't doing it...

Similarly to the Volvo event having as a main feature the opportunity for Volvo to host people at the stop overs, why not use the Maserati stopovers as invitation events for customers and prospects, and perks for dealers and high performing salesmen. Invite them to see the boat, meet Brad van Liew, meet some interesting people from Maserati, ogle the Maserati babes that have been brought in, have some wine and food, see the latest Maseratis that are brought to the site and are on display, etc.

Perhaps they are waiting on actually-meaningful record runs, and are just now getting warmed up?

#9 Remodel

Remodel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,388 posts
  • Interests:Sailboat racing and long distance cruising

Posted 22 February 2012 - 07:50 PM

I've heard that they've lightened the boat somehwere between 10% and 15%. Any idea what was removed?

#10 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 08:16 PM

I've heard that they've lightened the boat somehwere between 10% and 15%. Any idea what was removed?

Brads ego?? Just Kidding!!!:lol:

#11 BFD

BFD

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:44 PM

Brads ego?? Just Kidding!!!:lol:

That would have lightened it alot more than that!!

#12 Life Buoy 15

Life Buoy 15

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,225 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 11:40 PM

Maserati - because bald middle aged guys with small dicks need loving too.

#13 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:53 AM

That's why Boner Pills are major sponsors at NASCAR!!:lol:

#14 Swanno (Ohf Shore)

Swanno (Ohf Shore)

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,782 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:09 AM

Deeper lighter keel perhaps.

#15 casc27

casc27

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:03 PM

That's why Boner Pills are major sponsors at NASCAR!!:lol:

Bald middle aged guys with beer guts for NASCAR. I have been wondering how long it will be ere one of the boner pill makers picks up Tiger Woods. Seems like a natural.

#16 Blur

Blur

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:25 PM

Actually better footage than the VOR...

#17 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:13 PM

Great video, thanks!! Got to get mighty uncomfortable spending much time on such a wet boat. Like being inside a washing machine!!

#18 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,218 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 06:35 PM

Great video

#19 doghouse

doghouse

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,145 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 06:41 PM

The real story is nobody cares all that much about a generation old Volvo boat not sailing against other Volvo boats, or any boats for that matter.

Now Maserati Rick on the other hand, he was awesome...

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users