7 replies to this topic

#1 Quirky Torok

Quirky Torok

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Interests:I like any thing wet..

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:24 PM

I know sailing can't be a well paid job.. What i want to know is this.. Apart from advertising fgs (cigerettes to our colonial friends) why has Ian "Beardy" Percy decided to advertise a "health" drink now???

He's the bearded one on the left.. I am tempted to ask on his Facebook page... heck i will.. lets see how long it takes to get taken off.

#2 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,249 posts
  • Interests:Racing in all forms.

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:10 AM

I know sailing can't be a well paid job.. What i want to know is this.. Apart from advertising fgs (cigerettes to our colonial friends) why has Ian "Beardy" Percy decided to advertise a "health" drink now???

That's Iain Percy to you mate and you just answered your own question.

#3 umpire

umpire

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:29 AM

I think he had been to the pub before posting this, the spelling is terrible, even one in the title!

#4 Quirky Torok

Quirky Torok

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Interests:I like any thing wet..

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:07 AM

Well wouldn't you know it.. I admit I made 2 spelling mistakes in my post. Yes they past me by. So imagine my surprise and delight when I opened up this thread this morning to find two pedantic f**kwits picking me up on my spelling. You may have guessed this but I rather took these comments to heart and had myself tested today and indeed I do show signs of dyslexia. It didn't come as much as a shock t me, but it did rather put my mind at rest.

I then did a quick google of dyslexia and wouldn't you know it, many of the great minds of this century have this learning difficulty. this link should be of use to you to find out exactly has this "gift" (There words not mine)
http://www.dyslexia.com/famous.htm

I also found a link that may be of interest should your hectic lifestyles permit you to take time to read
http://propercourse.blogspot.com/2011/10/are-sailors-dyslexic.html

I can only assume that umpire and dogwatch are either old style teachers or the kind of Daily Telegraph reader that take delight in correcting spelling and punctuation on graffiti instead of getting a investing there valuable time in a direction that is more useful to mankind. such as not breathing. Or maybe curing your addiction for forum trolling.

In fact Mr Umpire Edenbridge is close to me, if you would like to furnish me with your address I would be only too happy come round and personally discuss your methods of belittling poster on this forum.

#5 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,763 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:13 AM

The Health Drink ad runs a little counter to his Dunhill fags endorsement (for which there is a video too) but it's hard to take issue with his taking advantage. I hope it pays him well, why not?

#6 umpire

umpire

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:01 AM

QT, welcome to SA!!

But isn't his Dunhill advertising for the clothing and not the cigarette side of the company?
From TDS 13/2/12

''One of Skandia Team GBR's top hopes for claiming gold at London 2012 this year is British Star sailor Iain Percy. Percy is part of the luxury menswear brand Alfred Dunhill's Voice 2012 campaign, together with quadruple Coxless Four/Pair gold medallist Matthew Pinsent and gymnast Louis Smith, who in Beijing won bronze on the 'pummel horse', becoming the first Brit to win a medal in an individual gymnastic event since 1908.''

For the logrolling the actors were Darren Hudson and Jason Burkart.

Read more http://www.kgbanswer...5#ixzz1n0cYDwLE

But good luck to him anyway.

#7 kiwi_jon

kiwi_jon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,615 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:10 AM

^^^^

The Dunhill brand cigarette is owned by British American Tobacoo. Alfred Dunhill Ltd is the luxury mens clothing and goods. The nearest Alfred Dunhill Ltd get to cigarettes is their lighters.

For years I thought that golfs Dunhill Cup was sponsored by the cigarette company and could never understand it as sports and tobacoo advertising/sponsorship has been a no-no for for a long time now. The Dunhill Cup is actually the Alfred Dunhill Cup and is sponsored by the clothing company.

You live and learn.

#8 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,763 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 02:50 PM

You live and learn.

Yep, new to me.
--

New IP interview

edit: original source
http://www.americascup.com/en/Latest/Features/2012/2/Voyage-of-discovery/

America's Cup : Ian Percy Voyage of discovery
Tuesday, 21 February 2012

America's Cup sailor Iain Percy could only be a yachtsman. Tanned, bearded and possessed of a hybrid international accent that sounds part American, part Australian and only fleetingly English, he could have strolled onto the quay anywhere in the world. Instead, he's in his adopted home of Weymouth preparing to take on the world on his home surf at the 2012 Olympics.

contd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users