• Interests:.

Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:37 AM

Rum, check.
Harness, check.
Spanish, check.
Inmarsat Bgan, check.
Computer, check.
Fuel to charge batteries, check.

Race starts at 11 AM tomorrow local time, and I'll be reporting with daily videos, photos, and reports.

More to come.

http://www.caribbean600.rorc.org

#2 SR CHIEF (RET)

SR CHIEF (RET)

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:51 AM

I can't think of a better skipper in Jaime Torres , to race with! You guys will do well! All the best, sail fast , be safe will join up with you guys next month! Can't wait. Don't break the boat. :)

#3 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:31 AM

Thanks Chief.

The plan is to do a VOR style daily video for the front page, along with anything else interesting there is to report. Ben and the boys on Class 40 Icarus will be checking in via phone, and I'll include their stuff too. I'll also try to post some updates here, either in person if the bandwidth isn't too nasty, or more likely, via Mer.

#4 SR CHIEF (RET)

SR CHIEF (RET)

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:45 AM

Thanks Chief.

The plan is to do a VOR style daily video for the front page, along with anything else interesting there is to report. Ben and the boys on Class 40 Icarus will be checking in via phone, and I'll include their stuff too. I'll also try to post some updates here, either in person if the bandwidth isn't too nasty, or more likely, via Mer.

Thanks man, can't wait!

#5 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:04 PM

Clean Report* Links stripped from this version, satellite time now!

smiling

My head is spinning a little right now, and it has almost nothing to do with the DonQ rum drinks chef/boat captain Carlo Hernandez has been pouring all night. Effective as that may have been, the spinning is coming from something more powerful still, an emotional state I haven’t been in for far too long. It’s pre-race jitters.

I know I’m pretty lucky when it comes to sailing opportunities, and I’m pretty sure I have one of the world’s best jobs. Just yesterday I was in Miami with one of sailing’s legends, flying a hull at the helm of the newest super-beach cat on the market, and tonight I’m overlooking the Caribbean in an Antiguan villa on the eve of an ocean race. It doesn’t suck.

Except for the part where I hardly ever race anymore. It’s so easy to be seduced by monster boats and exotic teams, and over the past couple of years, I failed to make just racing boats – whatever boats were around – a priority. Even as a lowly media person, sailing Open 60s and MOD 70s and Volvo 70s is a rush – but if you’re not part of the crew, it just doesn’t work the same magic on your spirit that racing as part of a team does. And once bitten by the racing bug, I think we need that magic to feel sane. I certainly do.

So I made a decision this year to start racing again, enjoying sailing the way I did when I wrote my first story for Sailing Anarchy more than 7 years ago. And the first step on my road to recovery is here in Antigua, where I’ll be racing with the Puerto Rico’s National Offshore Team aboard Jaime Torres’ Beneteau First 40, Smile And Wave. “Just a little cruise around the islands,” Jaime joked about the 600 NM loop of the Eastern Caribbean ahead. It’s a race that, in just four short years, has gone from an unlikely gamble to an instant classic. It’s the Caribbean 600, run by England’s RORC and the Antigua Yacht Club, and the challenging and picturesque course, brisk winds, and utterly perfect weather have rocketed this race to the top of many sailors’ bucket lists during its short life. About the length of the Fastnet or Sydney Hobart, the entry list for this year’s C600 includes full raceboats like Ran and Rambler and the Class 40s, superyachts like the 200+ foot Hetairos and Sojana, classics Adela and Windrose , and cruiser/racers like our humble little Bendyslow, the second-smallest in the fleet.

Torres is an interesting character – the San Juan native and watersports shopowner is fiercely proud of the program he’s put together in just a year and change, with podium finishes at nearly every regatta they’ve entered and a great vibe that they’ve spread across the Caribbean. Jaime brought me in to share that vibe – he wants everyone to see just what their brand of ‘real Caribbean racing’ means.

It’s a panic of a crew, one that I’ll get to know along with you as the race goes on. Five non-stop comedians from Puerto Rico are already meshing well with the five gringos aboard (including North Sails Lauderdale’s Anson Mulder and Line Honors’ Bob Hillier), and there’s no shortage of experience, athleticism, or latin fire aboard this boat. They want the win, and they want it bad.

Media Crew Monster

I can’t do it like the Volvo guys for this one, if I’m not able to drive or trim or peel or pack I’ll lose it – I am here first and foremost to race, and hopefully, to win. That being said, I can’t let the magic box supplied to me by Andy Cool from Explorer Satellite go to waste, so I’m going to do my best Rick Deppe impression for the next three and a half days as bowman/media bitch. We’ll be sending in daily edited videos along with photos and written reports from aboard Smile And Wave, and they’ll be right here on Sailing Anarchy every morning, as well as in the Ocean Racing Anarchy thread. Those reports and others will also be available at the C600 website, where organizers have put together a slick reporting system for the fleet. It’s worth checking out, and we hope you enjoy. Personally, I’m hoping to bring onboard, ocean racing coverage from a little boat to the next level. Or at least to make some of you laugh as hard as we’ll be laughing in the cockpit.

We look forward to having you all aboard for the ride.

You can follow the team on Facebook here, and a special shout out to Smile And Wave’s sponsors: Banco Popular, the Caribbean’s largest banking institution, Discovery Bay Resort & Marina , Sebago, and Line Honors.

#6 TimFordi550#87

TimFordi550#87

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:11 PM

Excellent! Have a great race, Clean. Looking forward to reports.

#7 Sailor90

Sailor90

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,935 posts
  • Interests:A Scow racer, Melges 24's, Laser, and big boats in Chicago.

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:57 PM

Ran is hot on the trail of Rambler 90.

Those Ran boys really know how to push their boat hard and fast.

#8 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,998 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:37 PM

Rambler is also close to 10 years old on the design side.

#9 Sailor90

Sailor90

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:27 PM

Rambler is also close to 10 years old on the design side.

Ok…

She’s being raced by a crew full of tested professionals. Built out of carbon, has been updated and maintained rigorously, and has 3di Sails.

Both boats are faster the almost any other racing boat on the water.

Ran is sailing faster.

#10 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:40 AM

I'm sure Ran is having a blast. I am NOT, but only because I have been wrestling with the satellite for an hour trying to get signal strong enough to upload this video I made. We just turned the corner at Saba, headed to St. whatever next. 15 knots on the nose for the moment.

This race is awesome.

#11 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:51 AM

We have had 17 sail changes in 17 hours. Wind from 5 S to 17 N. Crazy stuff, but holy crap what an amazingly pretty race course, and an awesome group of Puerto ricans and adopted Puerto Ricans. Chicken/potato/cheese burritos and espresso for breakfast. Just finished transfering video, mer will load and post here and front page. I think you'll like!

#12 MER

MER

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:27 PM

Today's report includes an introduction to the a few of the teammates of Smile and Wave, their preparation for the race and the start of the 600 mile race in paradise.

#13 MER

MER

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:36 PM

A shot from Smile and Wave during the start...

Attached Files

#14 Presuming Ed

Presuming Ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,641 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 03:06 PM

http://caribbean600.rorc.org/

Tracker: http://caribbean600....t-tracking.html
Ranking: http://yb.tl/Leaderboard/c600-2012

Some start photos here

#15 Sailor90

Sailor90

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 03:49 PM

Anyone think Hetairos can catch Rambler before they get down to Les Saintes?

#16 MER

MER

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:29 PM

Alan's view from Day 1...

The 4th Caribbean 600 got off with nary a hitch Monday morning, the diverse fleet beating off the line in 10-12 knots and warm sunshine, with the forecast 15-20 just a flight of fancy. PUR (Puerto Rico) 11, little Smile and Wave won the mixed IRC start and proceeded to hold off most of the IRC fleet for hours.

We've been through about one sail change per hour for the first 18, it is gorgeous rounding these lush islands every few hours, and everyone, everywhere should do this race! All the distance of the Fastnet or Hobart, even better scenery and breeze, and one tenth the clothing.

I'm going to get a little sleep now, hope you keep tracking the race and enjoy this little intro and day one video of Puerto Rico's stars!

#17 Samba301

Samba301

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 07:53 PM

Anyone think Hetairos can catch Rambler before they get down to Les Saintes?

You called it...she did pass Rambler. Damn that's a cool mega yacht!

#18 'moondance44

'moondance44

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,165 posts
  • Location:Dodgy Bit Of Stamford, CT and The Cows, Graveyard of LIS where bluefish get blown off wire leaders

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:55 PM

We have had 17 sail changes in 17 hours. Wind from 5 S to 17 N. Crazy stuff, but holy crap what an amazingly pretty race course, and an awesome group of Puerto ricans and adopted Puerto Ricans. Chicken/potato/cheese burritos and espresso for breakfast. Just finished transfering video, mer will load and post here and front page. I think you'll like!

Don't wake up Fernando when he's off watch sleeping, or he'll cut you.

#19 Port Tack Approach

Port Tack Approach

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:13 PM

Don't wake up Fernando when he's off watch sleeping, or he'll cut you.

Beware the Padro!

#20 SR CHIEF (RET)

SR CHIEF (RET)

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 02:04 AM

Those guys are a blast to sail with!

#21 YOOHOO

YOOHOO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 02:33 AM

Love the fact that there has not been a single mention of the little angry fifty once again smokin along go boys

#22 Sailor90

Sailor90

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 06:57 AM

Love the fact that there has not been a single mention of the little angry fifty once again smokin along go boys

Who Privateer? Those guys always do well, come on Lucky!

Props to Hetairos, looks like she's going to take Line Honors. Fun to see a beautiful super yacht take the prize.

#23 crashtestdummy

crashtestdummy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:18 PM

Props to Hetairos, looks like she's going to take Line Honors. Fun to see a beautiful super yacht take the prize.

Great owner and great crew on board. Fun to party with off the water too. They have been sailing the boat for awhile now so are due for some victories. Would/Should of won Key West feeder race overall but made an unusual mistake.

#24 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:58 PM

Fernando is a hell of a sailor. Carlitos too. Owner is even pretty good! X-Files has really impressed me too. In fact, everyone is pulling their weight, and Jaime is dedicated to improving and training the two less experienced sailors too. All around, an admirable little program.

Had a bit of a problem last night, nasty fucking close reaching (AWA 45-55) in open ocean made it impossible for me to get my video done. You know the deal: You open a hatch up to clear out a tiny bit of 40 hours of feet and ass and sweat smell, and a wave douses you and runs down your back. i was very angry at everyone and every thing after 4 hours of trying to make that work.

Couldn't do it on deck, couldn't do anything if I get sick, so I did all the importing and tagging and I'll wait for the lee of Guadaloupe to get some vid done from day 2. Lots and lots of beating yesterday ending in the 175-mile reach to Guadaloupe, but I had a good amount of helm time and got some of the most fun conditions, 14-16 with the big kite up on the west side of St. Maarten. Good times, thanks for checking in.

#25 YOOHOO

YOOHOO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:26 PM

Anybody know why Privateer is now listed as DNS on race web site? please tell me this is a error

#26 mR-P

mR-P

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, sailing, sailing

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:37 PM

Anybody know why Privateer is now listed as DNS on race web site? please tell me this is a error

That wouldn't make sense, in any case it would have to say DNF (for a boat that started, but did not finish the race). If you click on the Privateer graphic though, its still giving you their ranking on the diff. categories...

#27 YOOHOO

YOOHOO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:48 PM

Check latest 600 website posting failed to start correctly along with one the Open 40's. Therefore DNS gutted for the boys that's two in a row.

#28 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 07:08 PM

absolutely crazy couple of hours in the lee of Guadeloupe, rode a thermal in and then a katabatic squall around. I think we are first in class, hopefully that's the last of the flukey stuff! Have had it ALL. Every sail used multiple times, even ran the staysail at the top of the mast like a flying jib to catch the zephyrs. Dolphin, big ass whale, turtles, tuna boils...i think this is the coolest race ever.

Mer has day 2 video, hope it makes you laugh!

#29 MER

MER

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 07:43 PM

Alan's video update from Day 2...Enjoy!

#30 SR CHIEF (RET)

SR CHIEF (RET)

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:44 AM

Posted Yesterday, 09:30 PM

I will be joining Jaime Torres and the boyz in less than a month, can't wait! I knew Clean would would mesh well (the guy speaks like 10 languages), and looks Puerto Rican. Not hard to have a great time and race on a professionally maintained boat, and an awesome crew! Great video Clean and thanks to Mer for putting it together. Yo Ed., need to come sail with us next month, YOU will have fun! I'll take you to some of Sr Chief's dive bars, trust me way more fun than the homo mt. gay red hat parties... and the women are WAY more funner! Alan, the Videos are AWESOME!!!!

#31 DtM

DtM

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:57 AM

Thanks Dad B)

#32 Port Tack Approach

Port Tack Approach

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 01:34 PM

one of the coolest things about this race (at least last year) was the welcoming committee. Before we even tied up at the dock after the finish, there was a case of Carib delivered by the welcoming committee.

#33 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:39 AM

Just finished off that box of Carib, so very cool, especially after a super gnarly final 30 NM beat in 25 knots and hardcore seas. Why can't I ever finish a race at happy hour, in the sun, with a kite up?

Somehow we salvaged a third in IRC-1 and a 4th overall in CSA. Very happy, and already hammered on rum drinks, waiting for late, late night dinner!

It will take me a day to put together the final video, but I have so many funny clips that I am stoked to get it done. Thanks for following!

#34 SR CHIEF (RET)

SR CHIEF (RET)

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:19 PM

Great job!!!

#35 LINE HONORS

LINE HONORS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 02:33 AM

Nice sailing with you Clean...see you in St. Maarten!

Smile & Wave

#36 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 07:25 PM

Thanks Napster! Great to sail with you, you are one hell of a driver...and sleeper!

BTW, we won Caribbean Boat of the Week and got a big old cask of rum for our trouble. Noice!

Final vid will be done maybe Monday night, will have you laughing your asses off.

#37 ldj

ldj

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 02:01 AM

Clean, you suck horse cock. I want to laugh tonight motherfucker.

I am knowing Joey the mouth fucked up every gybe ever !!! I'll use my own shackles.

#38 mR-P

mR-P

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 02:59 AM

Clean, we are waiting!!!! We know you're having fun @ St. Maarten, but get to work! We want to see the final video!!!

#39 Port Tack Approach

Port Tack Approach

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:51 PM

Clean, we are waiting!!!! We know you're having fun @ St. Maarten, but get to work! We want to see the final video!!!

those barrels of rum take time to recover from

#40 DtM

DtM

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:42 PM

We know he is alive because he posted on another thread just a while ago!!!

#41 mR-P

mR-P

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 01:26 AM

C'mon Clean! When are you going to post that last video?! Can't wait to see it!

#42 Mosquito

Mosquito

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:42 PM

C 600 WRAP UP VIDEO?!!!!!!!

Clean, Great sailing with you!!

Next time in PR give us a call..........

Smile & Wave

#43 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:42 PM

it's on the list folks...sorry!

#44 mr_ryano

mr_ryano

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,966 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:15 AM

it's on the list folks...sorry!

I'll get BC to kick your ass if you don't get it done

#45 Johndeeredriver

Johndeeredriver

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 06:29 AM

Great owner and great crew on board. Fun to party with off the water too. They have been sailing the boat for awhile now so are due for some victories. Would/Should of won Key West feeder race overall but made an unusual mistake.

Thanks Walshy....good Bird

#46 ConstanceDavisson

ConstanceDavisson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 06:52 AM

You guys will do well!Posted Image

#47 DtM

DtM

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 01:46 AM

Where is the report????

Clean, you could have been doing this instead of wasting your time supporting Nicloe Scott.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users