• Please log in to reply
289 replies to this topic

#1 Hatin' life

Hatin' life

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts
  • Interests:Screwing, nailing, other woodworking activities.

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:46 AM

Early last year my girlfriend and I decided to part ways. Seriously, it was about that simple, just too many differences and goals in life to make a go at anything truly long term.

She kept the house.

I was/am poor, (or at least I'd rather spend money on sailboats/jet-ski's/motorcycles/diesel pickups/firearms than on an expensive place to take my morning pooh), and I couldn't spend a shit ton of money on a house. Thank god for a horribly depressed housing market! I bought a relatively straight, 111 year old house for a bit less than $40k. Three decent sized bedrooms, one shitter, a big ass living room, and a decent sized kitchen. I didn't take out a traditional mortgage mostly because I bank at a small town bank, and I wanted somebody to talk to should shit hit the proverbial fan and I couldn't make a payment for a few months I wasn't going to be homeless. So I borrowed $30k against some investments to buy the house. I think I'm the only one of my friends that owns his house outright, which is kinda cool in my book at 31 years old.

I would like to add at this point, that if you are one of the shithooks that owned this house in the past 112 years, I'm coming for ya. Dead or alive, you will pay for you sins. Plus interest.

I'm a cabinet maker. I own my own shop. Its pretty well equipped, and can handle just about anything. After getting the mechanical sorted out I dug into the kitchen. The mechanical was a mess. It wasn't winterized properly so there was popped lines everywhere, the water heater wasn't vented at all, and the furnace took some tuning by a HVAC buddy to run, and the toilet trap was cracked. FUCK.

anyway, the kitchen. The kitchen has an odd ceiling height, 9ft, 8in's, so it got height going for it, and its basically 13ft by 13ft. Not huge, but not tiny either.

The classy box cabinets that were in there:
Also note the awesome drop down ceiling....
Posted Image

Posted Image

The backsplash on the countertop sits above the window opening. jesus christ kids.....
Posted Image

I tore all of the old flooring out.
There was:
1. Peel n' stick linoleum tiles (classy)
2. Linoleum (whatever)
3. 3/8" MDF underlayment (which was the whole reason I opened up the floor, there was a big bubble in the middle of the kitchen)
4. Some tiles made from something that rhymes with pestos
5. Wood flooring (Fir or something, not worth salvaging
6. Planking

All of which totaled up to 2-1/4" thick, and according to the county dump, weighed 1700#'s. We burned up two circular saw blades, and damn near a worm gear framing saw hacking it up into manageable pieces. There was absolutely no way we could've peeled the layers. Millions of nails, and I might be a bit conservative on the guess. It took three of us an entire day to find the joists...... and a cistern well under the kitchen.
Posted Image

Since I had the floor opened up, we pulled three new circuits, and re-plumbed the kitchen sink. The tragically stupid fuck who plumbed it before had 1/4" soft copper running to the sink.
Posted Image

#2 Hatin' life

Hatin' life

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:51 AM

All but one of the joists was in pretty damn good shape. We sistered a piece onto it, and braced it up to one of its buddies next to it, and all was good. Somewhere I figured out that there is no bottom plate to the wall. A sense of panic set in, but there was just enough of the original planking left we ran one layer of plywood up too it, and ran another over the top. We went through nine big tubes of PL400, and screwed it down about every 8", with the second layer being screwed on a grid of also about 8". Its actually pretty solid, and most of the joist planed out fairly well. Especially after cutting out a pipe from the cistern that was holding a joist up high. Fucktards.
Posted Image

The bathroom is fairly big. I haven't really touched it yet other than getting the shitter operating. The bathroom is in the orginal part of the house, and the whole center of the house sags a little bit. I'm going to through an I-beam in the basement with some jacks and slowly push it back up. Once the kitchen is done I'm going to tackle the bathroom. I'm going to need a lot of self leveling concrete to get a tile-able surface no matter what.
Posted Image

Front of the house. Steel siding, its ugly, but in decent shape. I won't be doing anything to the siding. The porch is fucked though.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 Hatin' life

Hatin' life

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:55 AM

See? Fucked.
Posted Image

Back side of the house. Notice the dead bolt where the refucks from the property management company used a crowbar to get in. Those concrete steps will be going away this summer as well. They aren't sitting level, I don't want to jack them level, and I want a deck.
Posted Image

refucks.
Posted Image

Small, but functional laundry room off of the kitchen
Posted Image

I'll be tearing out those awesome (sarcasm) cabinets as well.
Posted Image

#4 Hatin' life

Hatin' life

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:57 AM

ah yes. The front porch. As I said. Fucked. There was almost zero wood that wasn't rotten.
Posted Image

Posted Image

New back door.
Posted Image

Inside of new back door.
Posted Image

Corner of the window and door casing. I'm never doing this again. Way too much work to jack mitre those corners and have them come out perfectly. Even in the shop its a god damn Greek tragedy putting them together.
Posted Image

#5 dde

dde

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,957 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:00 AM

No pain, no gain.

#6 Hatin' life

Hatin' life

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:02 AM

Between the back entry and the laundry room there was a little transom window type thing. I wanted to just re-trim it, but after peeling the casing off, there wasn't anything salvageable about it, so I just made a new window to go in.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Here you can see my OCD kicking into full speed. Dovetailed jambs? What kind of nut job likes this kind of torture? I guess I do. Itís actually not too bad, once you get rolling it doesn't take a hell of a lot longer to dovetail them, than it does to just rabbet them, and the result is absolutely solid. When some poor schmuck tears into this hell hole, hopefully they take notice of some attempt to bring some craftsmanship in.
Posted Image

This god damn thing. I love this sink. Itís made my life a bit hellish. Itís a hand hammered copper unit, and pictures do not do it justice. But I had to change the cabinet mid-build, and now I pretty much have to go with something impervious to water for a countertop which = more money out of my liver destruction fund. On top of spending $800 on a bloody sink.
Posted Image

#7 plchacker

plchacker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,710 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:06 AM

Fun, Ain't it?

:D

#8 Hatin' life

Hatin' life

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:08 AM

Posted Image

A thread without tits is like a day without sunshine.
Posted Image

Cabinets at the finisher's shop. Have I mentioned I hate staining? Well, I hate staining.
Posted Image

Cabinets stacked up in the dining area. Barely enough room. I have a sense of how the Vietcong felt because now my house is a series of intricate tunnels.
Posted Image

The starts of the wine rack going over the kitchen sink. I totally pulled this thing outta my ass. No real set plan other than it had to be X tall, X wide.
Posted Image

#9 plchacker

plchacker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,710 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:09 AM

Between the back entry and the laundry room there was a little transom window type thing. I wanted to just re-trim it, but after peeling the casing off, there wasn't anything salvageable about it, so I just made a new window to go in.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Here you can see my OCD kicking into full speed. Dovetailed jambs? What kind of nut job likes this kind of torture? I guess I do. Itís actually not too bad, once you get rolling it doesn't take a hell of a lot longer to dovetail them, than it does to just rabbet them, and the result is absolutely solid. When some poor schmuck tears into this hell hole, hopefully they take notice of some attempt to bring some craftsmanship in.
Posted Image

This god damn thing. I love this sink. Itís made my life a bit hellish. Itís a hand hammered copper unit, and pictures do not do it justice. But I had to change the cabinet mid-build, and now I pretty much have to go with something impervious to water for a countertop which = more money out of my liver destruction fund. On top of spending $800 on a bloody sink.
Posted Image

Those sinks are great. I've had my eye on those for a while now.

#10 Hatin' life

Hatin' life

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:11 AM

Stringers for the bottom deck of the wine rack.
Posted Image

Stringers with beadboard applied.
Posted Image

Box assembled.
Posted Image

Details routed in, and the keystone temporarily mounted.
Posted Image

The corner detail is kinda cool to me. Done by running a 1/2" beading bit on both faces of the box.
Posted Image

#11 Hatin' life

Hatin' life

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:14 AM

Fuck I hate making lattice. I had to do this over and over again. My brain went dumb. repeatedly.
Posted Image

Hooray, lattice done, sanity restored.
Posted Image

Angled doors are also a pain to make, this one fortunately wasn't that horrid. Mostly because I didn't give a rats ass if it was off a squeak.
Posted Image

Some entertainment for the next schmuck.
Posted Image

All of the upper cabinets hung. Notice the giant holes cut in the wall so I could run wire. I'm not fixing those. Hindsite being 20/20, I wish I would've gutted this room down to the bare studs. Would've made many, many things much easier. The walls were just as fucked as a the floor, and it this point I'm so demoralized I just couldn't do it.
Posted Image

#12 puffyjman

puffyjman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts
  • Interests:j-boats, growing jalapenos and other horticultural experiments, chocolate labs,(R.I.P. Dexter my friend) bitching and complaining

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:16 AM

Looks like your gonna have $80k in cabinets in a $40k house.
Keep up the good work.

#13 tikipete

tikipete

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,990 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:21 AM

Gee, you need a 40' full keel something or other so you can do all the bright work and cabinetry!

#14 Hatin' life

Hatin' life

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:23 AM

Looks like your gonna have $80k in cabinets in a $40k house.
Keep up the good work.

I've got less than $10k into the kitchen cabinets. I really haven't been keeping track, though I should be.

Window trim in the bathroom.
Posted Image

First few rows of wood flooring thrown down in the kitchen. I went with birch because it was cheap. and the kitchen is going to have a lot of wood in it, black appliances and I didn't want the room to end up being a dark hole.
Posted Image

My first wood floor is actually going pretty well at this point. The last few rows would've been a motherfucker, but I just ran it barely under the cabinets. I also shot from the hip on making it straight, and things came out really nicely on toe kick on the other side of the room.
Posted Image

#15 plchacker

plchacker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,710 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:23 AM

Fuck I hate making lattice. I had to do this over and over again. My brain went dumb. repeatedly.
Posted Image

Hooray, lattice done, sanity restored.
Posted Image

Angled doors are also a pain to make, this one fortunately wasn't that horrid. Mostly because I didn't give a rats ass if it was off a squeak.
Posted Image

Some entertainment for the next schmuck.
Posted Image

All of the upper cabinets hung. Notice the giant holes cut in the wall so I could run wire. I'm not fixing those. Hindsite being 20/20, I wish I would've gutted this room down to the bare studs. Would've made many, many things much easier. The walls were just as fucked as a the floor, and it this point I'm so demoralized I just couldn't do it.
Posted Image

Great work. You should be proud.

#16 Hatin' life

Hatin' life

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:31 AM

Wood floor finished, and most of the base cabinets installed.
Posted Image

Lots of outlets.
Posted Image

Not a great picture, but the backside of the island.
Posted Image

The front side of the island. The left hole will have a pair of roll out trays, the right will have a trash roll out.
Posted Image

I ran out of hinges for the doors, so this is all thatís been hung.
Posted Image

#17 tigerregis

tigerregis

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:53 AM

Your complaint forgot the architect. Nice work, I hope you live there for a long time, as your improvements justify it.

#18 water ratz

water ratz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts
  • Interests:Sailing...

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:56 AM

Beautiful work! You may be hating this now, but you will have years to enjoy all of your labors.

#19 Hatin' life

Hatin' life

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 02:06 AM

Your complaint forgot the architect. Nice work, I hope you live there for a long time, as your improvements justify it.

Beautiful work! You may be hating this now, but you will have years to enjoy all of your labors.

I'm actually just looking to flip it. Before I owned it, the last time this house sold was in 2008 I believe, and it sold for $128K. I'm hoping, (fingers crossed, pretty-fucking-please), that I won't have more than $80k all said and done into the house and I'll throw it back on the market for $130k, and I'll take anything over $100k. I've actually kicked around being a smart ass, and if someone makes an offer of $114,500, I'd counter at $114,000..... But, when I do get everything finished, and it does go back on the market, if the real estate agent tells me to list it for $150, I'm not going to argue. I don't have to sell it, I need someplace to put my stuff, and I'm not a huge fan of moving. So if I sit on it a while, its not the end of the world. I'm just hoping to do this a couple of times and maybe be able to put in enough sweat equity here and there to make a lake house affordable.

Plus it gives me something to do when the shop is slow.

#20 v21sailor

v21sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 02:17 AM

Roof looks in good shape. What does the underside of the sheathing look like?

#21 slap

slap

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 03:20 AM

Find any sash weights when you tore things apart?

#22 austin1972

austin1972

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,614 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:58 AM

Being the owner of an old house where lots of what you mention is a little too familiar...
1. I'm not surprised at your hate for the place. The only things worse than old houses are the people that own them.
2. I'm jealous of your skills.
3. The sill plate behind the concrete (I hope it's not pure Portland cement) steps is probably gone. I bet the steps settled back towards the house and are holding water against it.
Don't work too hard on leveling the house until you get in there and replace the sill plate.

Nice work dude. Wish I knew how to do a lot of that stuff.

#23 El Mariachi

El Mariachi

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,193 posts
  • Interests:Not dying.

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:54 AM

Thread of the fuking Year nomination. There's so much shit going on here that I can't stop laughing long enough to get into it right now. But really? D/tailed door jambs? Frickin klassic......... :lol:

#24 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,301 posts
  • Location:I'm in Sunny..-. Warm..& ..Dry San Diego . and your not :-)
  • Interests:Prime + 1 3/4

COUGARS COUGARS & More COUGARS

Posted 21 February 2012 - 07:50 AM

Find any sash weights when you tore things apart?

EXACTFACKTUALY What I was thinkin

less i see a pisser, I won't believe this has come from more than an invertebrate = swan69 Posted Image

#25 hobot

hobot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,360 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:15 AM

Great workmanship HL, I dream of doing of having the ability to make the perfect mitre cut but sadly I'm still a hack.

Thank you for posting this and please keep it rolling along.

#26 mikewof

mikewof

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,781 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:48 AM

Through all this I kept imagining how sweet if all that beautiful labor went into a boat instead of a house.

#27 jocal505

jocal505

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts
  • Interests:performance sailing, downhill skiing, music

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:56 AM

Posted Image

Nice mitre HL. Get four of 'em?

#28 Shibby

Shibby

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,121 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:12 PM

All that work in a house... Do you really like MN that much?

#29 hard aground

hard aground

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,124 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:34 PM

Being the owner of an old house where lots of what you mention is a little too familiar...
1. I'm not surprised at your hate for the place. The only things worse than old houses are the people that own them.
2. I'm jealous of your skills.
3. The sill plate behind the concrete (I hope it's not pure Portland cement) steps is probably gone. I bet the steps settled back towards the house and are holding water against it.
Don't work too hard on leveling the house until you get in there and replace the sill plate.

Nice work dude. Wish I knew how to do a lot of that stuff.

exactly what I was thinking

#30 tuf-luf

tuf-luf

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,571 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:41 PM

The dovetail work on those jambs is glamour dude! Very nice.

Keep updating the thread. Love following this! :)

#31 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,105 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:08 PM

Karl,I admire people who do fine work like you do...it's all good and the neat thing is you get visual enjoyment of it all.

#32 Throatwarbler-Mangrove

Throatwarbler-Mangrove

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,054 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:43 PM

I'm actually just looking to flip it. Before I owned it, the last time this house sold was in 2008 I believe, and it sold for $128K. I'm hoping, (fingers crossed, pretty-fucking-please), that I won't have more than $80k all said and done into the house and I'll throw it back on the market for $130k, and I'll take anything over $100k. I've actually kicked around being a smart ass, and if someone makes an offer of $114,500, I'd counter at $114,000..... But, when I do get everything finished, and it does go back on the market, if the real estate agent tells me to list it for $150, I'm not going to argue. I don't have to sell it, I need someplace to put my stuff, and I'm not a huge fan of moving. So if I sit on it a while, its not the end of the world. I'm just hoping to do this a couple of times and maybe be able to put in enough sweat equity here and there to make a lake house affordable.

Beautiful work. Especially that wine rack. Nice design and fine craftsmanship. Belongs in a shelter porn magazine.

Hope you've gotten good advice on the real estate side. People have made good money turning ugly ducklings into swans. It's also been known to go the other way. Good real estate people know what does and doesn't return investment.

Two other things this project has going for you. It's a great showpiece for your business - web site, brochures, scrap book, client tours if you remember to put away the breakfast dishes.

Also, if you've got any interest in replacing your ex-.... Nothing like a great kitchen to trigger the nesting instinct. Lots of women will take one look at that and book a U-Haul. Keep photos on your phone. Better yet, take some kitchen photos with a puppy and keep them on your phone.

#33 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,989 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:45 PM

Beautiful work. Especially that wine rack. Nice design and fine craftsmanship. Belongs in a shelter porn magazine.

Hope you've gotten good advice on the real estate side. People have made good money turning ugly ducklings into swans. It's also been known to go the other way. Good real estate people know what does and doesn't return investment.

Two other things this project has going for you. It's a great showpiece for your business - web site, brochures, scrap book, client tours if you remember to put away the breakfast dishes.

Also, if you've got any interest in replacing your ex-.... Nothing like a great kitchen to trigger the nesting instinct. Lots of women will take one look at that and book a U-Haul. Keep photos on your phone. Better yet, take some kitchen photos with a puppy and keep them on your phone.

Aren't you married?

#34 Throatwarbler-Mangrove

Throatwarbler-Mangrove

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,054 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:07 PM

Aren't you married?

Uh, yeah. Happily.

Aren't you a virgin?

#35 dreaded

dreaded

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,239 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:16 PM

you buy a 100 year old house, then complain about having to fix it? at least you got the tools and skills while the rest of us have to deal with contractor and sub-contractors... thieves the lot of them..

#36 El Mariachi

El Mariachi

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,193 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:20 PM

you buy a 100 year old house, then complain about having to fix it? at least you got the tools and skills while the rest of us have to deal with contractor and sub-contractors... thieves the lot of them..

It only feels that way 'cuz you can't do it yourself. Kinda the same reason I had the surgeon remove The Nursetta's thyroid, in lieu of trying to do it myself.....

#37 Mojo Risin

Mojo Risin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,747 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:20 PM

And keep pictures of nieces and nephews and puppy dogs on the fridge. If you don't have any good looking nieces and nephews, buy some picture frames and take the pictures out and use those.

#38 President Eisenhowler

President Eisenhowler

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,444 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:37 PM

I've got a 160 year old house. Every time I open something up to do a project, I note that the original workmanship is holding up much better than the crap someone did in the 1970s.

#39 Streetwise

Streetwise

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts
  • Interests:Viper 640 #18

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:09 PM

Great thread and great work on your house!

I did notice that you can put two Viper logos in your new door, and one in the wine rack. ;)

Cheers!

#40 El Mariachi

El Mariachi

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,193 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:11 PM

Great thread and great work on your house!

I did notice that you can put two Viper logos in your new door, and one in the wine rack. ;)

Cheers!

The entry door needs an S/A symbol. Should help to keep the Jehovahs & the Amish away......

#41 austin1972

austin1972

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,614 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:26 PM

I've got a 160 year old house. Every time I open something up to do a project, I note that the original workmanship is holding up much better than the crap someone did in the 1970s.

No doubt.

#42 Shibby

Shibby

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,121 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:45 PM

electricians are the worst!

#43 El Mariachi

El Mariachi

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,193 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:47 PM

Yeah, got it. 'Cuz any douche-wit from the Appalachians can wire a fuking house professionally & safely......

#44 ropetrick

ropetrick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:00 PM

Yeah, got it. 'Cuz any douche-wit from the Appalachians can wire a fuking house professionally & safely......

Hot on the left. Cold on the right.

What's so hard about lectricity?

#45 El Mariachi

El Mariachi

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,193 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:05 PM

If I was your home insurance company and saw this, I'd drop your ass like a muriatic acid soaked tampon.....

#46 Throatwarbler-Mangrove

Throatwarbler-Mangrove

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,054 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:22 PM

It's amazing how many douche-wits from the Appalachians have a license to wire a fuking house. Cannot begin to describe some of the copper rats nests I've seen that were supposedly done by licensed electricians.

#47 austin1972

austin1972

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,614 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:24 PM

Matching wire gauge to amps and fetch come to mind. Load balancing would be another.
Replacing an outlet or installing a fixture is a little different than wiring a house.

#48 President Eisenhowler

President Eisenhowler

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,444 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:28 PM

I'm gonna have to save that honor for the plumbers, for their utter lack of problem-solving mentality and their complete disregard for the other trades. I used to have a great plumber and not understand why everyone complained about plumbers; he retired and since then I've been through about 5 of them looking for someone who can just get the job done. I've got a spot where some previous owner's plumber 30 years ago was running half inch copper water pipe across a joist and, instead of running out to his truck for an auger, used what must have been an axe to chop a six inch by six inch notch in the joist to make room for it. Need to open up a wall? Screw taking the 30 seconds to use a utility knife on the sheetrock to cut a square that could be put back in afterwards; just hit it a couple of times with a pipe wrench. Run a vent line right across the wall at eye level above the bathroom sink, right where any moron could predict a medicine cabinet was going to need to be installed (Plenty of room to do it above or below that and still have adequate pitch). Fail to read and understand the code; skip installing a backflow preventer at the service entrance, and then get pissy and want to charge the homeowner extra when the building inspector fails the job. Replace an under sink disposal; forget to re-attach the drain line from the dishwasher, causing the dishwasher to pump its entire contents onto the floor. Come back, attach the drain line, but forget to punch out the knockout that actually allows the water to flow into the drain line. Miscalculate the angles on a steam radiator; just use muscle to try to transform a 90 degree ell into a 92 degree ell; stand there scratching your ass wondering why it leaks like a sieve.

#49 President Eisenhowler

President Eisenhowler

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,444 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:32 PM

Don't forget the black electrical tape. Put lots of that on every connection and you're good to go.

#50 Hatin' life

Hatin' life

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:31 AM

Thread of the fuking Year nomination. There's so much shit going on here that I can't stop laughing long enough to get into it right now. But really? D/tailed door jambs? Frickin klassic.........

I swear to god on this, not much more effort than doing it with just a rabbet. After the pins and tails are cut, a bit of glue, and you pound em' together and they are done, and like I said. Solid. No tear out to deal with when rabbeting them with either a dado head in the tablesaw, or with a bit in a router.

Posted Image

Nice mitre HL. Get four of 'em?

Yep. But not on the first try. To make this joint I set up two table saws, a mitrebox, and my regular chop box. I made a jig to hold the top and bottom rails at 45* on the table saw, and to get the mitre started at the right point. You just saw in until you are almost at the ledge, then go over to the other tablesaw and cut along that ledge to remove it all. The stiles you just cut to length, then hack off the 45*, kinda making a male part to go into the other. Once the piece are cut I pocket screw the ends of the stiles and lay them face up on a table.
My first iteration of doing it this way, I've got a 5'x12' table for assembling face frames, I just threw the parts together and pocket screwed them on the face frame assembly table. The result vaguely resembled Elisabeth Shue's asshole in Leaving Las Vegas, a bloody mess.
The second round went better. This time I put them face down on a regular table in the shop, glued and bar clamped them, then pocket screwed them together. It was better, but still rather wretched.
So, what I finally ended up doing was clamping them face up. I'd get everything lined up perfectly, clamped up with bar clamps, and then I'd either flip the whole mess over while clamped if it was a smaller one, or I'd slide it to the edge of the table so I could get under it, and put in the pocket screws. Glue really only needs a couple of minutes with a clamp on it to get that initial tack to hold, after that the screws take over and its hunky dory until the glue sets. This takes a long, ass, time. The results are very good though, so I can't complain too much. I just thought I had a slick way of putting it together when I planned out the profiles, and I'm just pissed I was wrong. I shouldn't be, I'm only right about a quarter of the time any way. Fuck. I'm probably wrong about that too.

Its some of the seriously off the wall,"how the hell did you come to that conclusion", fixes that have been driving me nuts. And some of the craftsmanship has left a lot to be desired, but that's how it goes. Like the kitchen walls. Somebody went to all the effort of beating the plaster off of the wall, (not complaining, I hate plaster, but then the waterheads sheet rocked over the lathe! As an added bonus, the walls were taped after the cabinets were installed. Its shit of that nature that makes me want to chase the mongoloid down, lock him in porta-potty, and light the fucker on fire. If I would've been smart, I would've torn the walls down to bare studs, torn the ceiling out, and spray foamed it back together. But, I did not see a viable return on it. If I were planning on making this my permanent address I definitely would have. I hung most of the boxes with 5" screws because there was 1/2" sheet rock, about 3/8" of lathe, then 7/8" planking before I got to the stud cavity. My normal screw is 3-1/8" long for this duty.

The house has replacement windows. Cheap slip in replacement windows. Thats fine, but do you really have to layer on four different kinds of mouldings, then slap on some poorly assembled 2-1/4" casing? I've torn most of the window casing off. The shit I haven't gotten around to putting new casing on, looks better than the half assed job done previously. I kinda want to leave the dope responsible for the window abortion bleeding in the moonlight.

(edit)- Once the kitchen is done, the bathroom won't be too bad, I've already got the cabinets done for in there. It'll be just tearing out my new toilet the horrid cabinets that are in there, floating the floor, tiling it, and throwing it back together. I'm hoping to be shitting at the neighbors house and the gas station for just a few days. I'll let you know how the two months with out a bathroom goes when I cross that bridge...... :lol:
After that everything is a cakewalk. Build a bench for the back entry, a couple of cabinets for the laundry room, re-trim the first floor, then I'm going to wainscot the entire stairwell, and the upstairs hallway, and panel the ceiling in the hallway. Build a closet in each of the two bedrooms that don't have one. Then new carpet through out, and I'm slapping this bitch back on the market. Hopefully by next spring. There's a few other dumb things I'm going to do. The front entry is getting a kind of fanned bead board. That shouldn't be too difficult. I'll do most of it in the shop, then just nail it up in the house, and hide all of the edges with some crown.

I can't wait to get the kitchen ceiling done. It will be stunning.

#51 hard aground

hard aground

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,124 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:19 AM

Doors or drawers on your base cabinets in the corner? Any concerns about them getting banged up opening into each other?

#52 Hatin' life

Hatin' life

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:32 AM

Drawers. I put very few doors in base cabinets. Only an issue if you open two at a time on adjacent walls. I put a larger stile on the corners so there is room to clear even really big hardware. I'm going to put just knobs on, so that won't be an issue either.

#53 President Eisenhowler

President Eisenhowler

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,444 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 02:20 AM

Posted Image

That's a thing of beauty. Every time your eye lands on it, you're gonna feel good about yourself. Great stuff!

#54 Heavy Metal

Heavy Metal

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 02:25 AM

Holy farkin cow - US$40,000 for that!!!!

A single car carpark in my town sells for US$100,000.

#55 El Mariachi

El Mariachi

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,193 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 02:31 AM

Holy farkin cow - US$40,000 for that!!!!

A single car carpark in my town sells for US$100,000.

It's all relative, dude----in So Cal the only thing you can buy for $40k is a half way decent car....or a city councilman.....

#56 BarePoles

BarePoles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts
  • Interests:sailing, architecture, running, Texans

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:47 AM

This is good shit, both handiwork and verbiage. You should have a fucking carpentry show!

#57 tuf-luf

tuf-luf

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,571 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:17 AM

Hey HL, if you keep ripping up floors / opening walls...you might just find Swan.

:ph34r:

#58 El Mariachi

El Mariachi

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,193 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:29 AM

Hey HL, if you keep ripping up floors / opening walls...you might just find Swan.

:ph34r:

Is his 'Vette red perchance?....

#59 Windward

Windward

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts
  • Interests:Building and managing websites using the Umbraco CMS

Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:59 PM

Poor maligned Swannie... Does he lurk here with a sock puppet?

#60 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,105 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 06:35 PM

He's probably spends some time lurking around here...

and haven't seen his sock puppets since he doesn't need them for a backup anymore... :lol:

#61 hard aground

hard aground

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,124 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 06:41 PM

This is good shit, both handiwork and verbiage. You should have a fucking carpentry show!

What a fantastic idea. Thursdays at 9 on HGTV, new episodes of "Reno Retards". Our helpful host hatin' life helps home owners of older homes both repair shoddy renovations by previous owners and actually find said previous owners and assist in their beating. Parental discretion advised due to adult language and scenes of violence and possible nudity. Look out Mike Holmes there's a new contractor on the tube.

#62 Hatin' life

Hatin' life

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 07:06 PM

What a fantastic idea. Thursdays at 9 on HGTV, new episodes of "Reno Retards". Our helpful host hatin' life helps home owners of older homes both repair shoddy renovations by previous owners and actually find said previous owners and assist in their beating. Parental discretion advised due to adult language and scenes of violence and possible nudity. Look out Mike Holmes there's a new contractor on the tube.

Don't forget the mutilation of remains, grave defacing, and/or defecation as well.

Unfortunately even my mother says I've got a face for radio.

#63 dreaded

dreaded

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,239 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 07:32 PM

It only feels that way 'cuz you can't do it yourself. Kinda the same reason I had the surgeon remove The Nursetta's thyroid, in lieu of trying to do it myself.....

I can do most of it, but don't have the tools... and dallas's city code book is about 6" thick and no two inspectors will interpret a code the same... it will make you want to use all your ammo..

btw HL, I do love the work you've shown... golf clap..

#64 dreaded

dreaded

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,239 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 07:33 PM

second only to the inspectors..

#65 Mojo Risin

Mojo Risin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,747 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 08:31 PM

I can do most of it, but don't have the tools... and dallas's city code book is about 6" thick and no two inspectors will interpret a code the same... it will make you want to use all your ammo..

btw HL, I do love the work you've shown... golf clap..

You must not be talking their language. If you watch any TV, you'll see there is only one language spoken among Dallas civil servants.

#66 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,105 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 08:43 PM

Take care of them and it's all good...

#67 Mojo Risin

Mojo Risin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,747 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 08:44 PM

Take care of them and it's all good...

We may have to spell it out.

#68 BarePoles

BarePoles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts
  • Interests:sailing, architecture, running, Texans

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:01 PM

Don't forget the mutilation of remains, grave defacing, and/or defecation as well.

Unfortunately even my mother says I've got a face for radio.

People will lose it when you go around dove tailing the shit out of everything! Even the jambs!!!!! :lol: :lol:

#69 Shibby

Shibby

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,121 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:49 AM

inspectors are retards (no offense intended) but ffs

#70 chinabald

chinabald

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,386 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:20 PM

Posted Image

And a day without sunshine is like.

Night

#71 Shibby

Shibby

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,121 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 01:29 PM

you should work for lazzara yachts or some like that...
Will you build me a log cabin?

#72 plchacker

plchacker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,710 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:13 PM

HVAC techs in my book. They seem to be worse that used car salesmen around here. I guess it depends on where you live. And, I am a bit biased. Keeping up with a code that has had major changes for the past few cycles is expensive. Sense the 2005 code, the code alone as doubled the cost of wiring a house. Further, not very much of that extra cost is making your home any safer.

#73 kmccabe

kmccabe

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,510 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:35 PM

Posted Image

perfect.

#74 Hatin' life

Hatin' life

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:49 PM

I finally ordered more door hinges...... Most of the stuff the shop produces is inset, and these are overlay, so I haven't ordered any hinges for a while. I decided to stop carrying the self closing type, and now will just carry the self close/soft close variation. MFer those things are expensive, even wholesale its $3.06 a pop for the hinge! Yikes.

Posted Image

I need to finish up a few loose stiles then I can hang the last few doors, and put my refrigerator in. I can finally start on the ceiling then too. The cabinets, and the other two walls are getting a moulding with a simple bead in the edge nailed up. Then I can make the false beams, and then the panels that will go in between the beams. Then crown the whole mess. I should've dropped the cabinets another couple of inches from the ceiling. Originally I was going to just put up a bead board, then that changed to doing a panels, then panels with false beams. There's a 7-1/2" Crown that I just love, but there just isn't enough room to run it anymore. The first layer of moulding, the crown, and the beams will be painted white, the panels will be stained to match the rest of the woodwork, and will have the same detail as the doors/paneled ends on the cabinets. I can't wait!

I'm also taking donations for the: "Karl needs countertops and granite is to much god damn money" fund.

No? Well, I tried.....

#75 tikipete

tikipete

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,990 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:12 PM

My wife decided not to go with granite, not worth the trouble (expense?), went with Silestone instead. It's been two years this month, no complaints.

#76 hobot

hobot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,360 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:14 PM

Pretty awesome stuff, when you get done maybe you can build a new house around the interior.

Just sayin'

#77 El Mariachi

El Mariachi

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,193 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:38 PM

Pour yourself some black concrete slab counters with crushed oyster shells and ground-up green glass in it. Just beef up your base sub tops, build some forms, one or two elevated/floating layers of 2" x 2" wire over it, mix it up smoothe & wet and have a couple of concrete finish guys on hand to tune the pour and the finish.....

#78 Monkey

Monkey

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,158 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:08 AM

I went through all your issues myself a few years ago. So much of what you've said made me wonder if our previous owners hired the same contractors!! I had to basically gut about half the interior and do a serious overhaul on the exterior. Can't complain though. Ended up with a decent home a block off Lake Michigan and five minutes from the boat for an investment under 100K. Plus there's the pride factor of having done most of the work. I wish I would have had your cabinetry skills.
Posted Image

#79 Hatin' life

Hatin' life

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:14 AM

My wife decided not to go with granite, not worth the trouble (expense?), went with Silestone instead. It's been two years this month, no complaints.

Silestone costs more than granite here. Granite was my least exoensuve option unfortunately. I might cast a concrete top for the island just to save $900 there. If it looks like dick I can just take it out and redo it in granite later.

#80 hard aground

hard aground

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,124 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:25 AM

Any thoughts too doing granite tile instead of a slab? I picked up 30 12x12 black granite tiles for $30 at an auction a while ago. Fortunately I only have a just under 20 square foot counter to do.

#81 El Mariachi

El Mariachi

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,193 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:26 AM

Silestone costs more than granite here. Granite was my least exoensuve option unfortunately. I might cast a concrete top for the island just to save $900 there. If it looks like dick I can just take it out and redo it in granite later.

Silestone, Caeserstone, Sly Stone, Phakestone, Coldstone, et al all look like absolute shit to me. I'd rather have counter tops made of dichondra or crunchy peanut butter....

#82 WarBird

WarBird

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:00 AM

Didn't follow the whole thread, did the porch get expanded a bit or even wrap-around in front? That might look nice.

#83 sailingk8

sailingk8

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,308 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:59 PM

Excellent work. Randy and I own a remodeling company so I feel your pain. We just finished a marble bathroom at a beach house and the floor slope deviated 3" from one wall to the other. Plumbing was a mess too. Always fun when you peel off the outer layer and see the surprises underneath! What did you cover the kitchen floor with?

#84 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,250 posts
  • Interests:boats, cars, girls....

Posted 27 February 2012 - 01:10 PM

Awesome workmanship!! Word of caution though: if you overbuild for the neighborhood, you may not recoup as much as you otherwise would.

#85 Mojo Risin

Mojo Risin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,747 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:01 PM

What trouble is there with granite? We've had it for twelve years with no trouble. It's only trouble when a skull makes sudden contact. Expense I can understand, but it is no more expensive than other "stone" tops.

#86 tikipete

tikipete

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,990 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 04:18 PM

It's porous and subject to staining.

#87 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,250 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 04:24 PM

Corian and Marble are, but granite is not if you seal it and keep it clean.

#88 Mojo Risin

Mojo Risin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,747 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 04:26 PM

Never had a stain through two kitchens and now bathrooms. We have a busy house as well with kids and lots of their friends. Spills are pretty common - everything from red wine to colas to markers to paint. Still, never a stain.

#89 Hatin' life

Hatin' life

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:25 PM

Granite can stain. Granite also needs to be sealed fairly often as well. Everything has advantages/dis-advantages. I wanted to do soapstone, as you can work it pretty easily with woodworking tools, but that shit doesn't hold up very well at all to staining, scratches, or dings. I wanted to do that for the main tops, and a end grain butcher block for the island. That would've been sweet looking, but not real practical for a whole mess of reasons. The main one being I didn't want to build an end grain butcher block.

I actually pitch people to buy laminate countertops. Why? You can tear them out and redo them when you're sick of the color at least twice before you're even close to the cost of anything else. A new set of tops every 10 years can really change the look of a kitchen easily.

but, laminate isn't a good option when you have an undermount sink. That's where concrete, cultured stone, or stone appeals to me.

I'm a little shocked BusDriver hasn't weighed in.

I'll let you guys know if I find either Swan, or a mystery box somewhere. I invited the last mystery box over, she was full of surprises..... :blink: :ph34r:

#90 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,105 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:30 PM

Hope that was a good thang... B)

#91 Brian

Brian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:30 PM

Nice work! Important question on the house is how big is the garage?

#92 Guitar

Guitar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,101 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, gold detecting, meteorite hunting.

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:02 PM

Still not done but wanted to sneak a pic in here on my roof . Love working with steel shingles on a dome. Well, sometimes, ok only when I drive down the road and look at it.
Posted Image

#93 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,250 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:17 PM

That dome has got to be the most labor intensive roof install ever!!:blink:

#94 Guitar

Guitar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,101 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:22 PM

uh, yep. All from a 28' ladder except the top.

#95 El Mariachi

El Mariachi

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,193 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:29 PM

Still not done but wanted to sneak a pic in here on my roof . Love working with steel shingles on a dome. Well, sometimes, ok only when I drive down the road and look at it.
Posted Image

When did Chrysler move their headquarters?....

#96 Shibby

Shibby

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,121 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:33 PM

wood, slate and copper countertops

#97 Shibby

Shibby

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,121 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:37 PM

Posted Image

When did Chrysler move their headquarters?....

tff

#98 Guitar

Guitar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,101 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:58 PM

Thinking of having a copper cap made for the very top to hide my "Eye" bolts I am leaving in for any trips up to the top to connect safety lines to.
6 hexagons, 5 pentagons = 60 triangles.
1800+ square feet figured in with 25% waste but I have held the waste down to about 9% so far.

Have been trying to talk the wife into stainless or copper counter tops.

#99 President Eisenhowler

President Eisenhowler

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,444 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:50 PM

Pour yourself some black concrete slab counters with crushed oyster shells and ground-up green glass in it. Just beef up your base sub tops, build some forms, one or two elevated/floating layers of 2" x 2" wire over it, mix it up smoothe & wet and have a couple of concrete finish guys on hand to tune the pour and the finish.....

As the pour is completed, you don't want bubbles. Call out "Vibrator! I need a vibrator!" Mrs. Homeowner comes running from the bedroom, blushingly carrying some petite pink battery-powered novelty item. You, channeling Crocodile Dundee, sneer at it, saying, "Vibrator? That's not a vibrator...," and, as your assistant comes in from the truck lugging some concrete-encrusted solid steel ten amp thing made by Milwaukee, you say, "now that's a vibrator."

#100 Bus Driver

Bus Driver

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,458 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:58 PM

Granite can stain. Granite also needs to be sealed fairly often as well. Everything has advantages/dis-advantages. I wanted to do soapstone, as you can work it pretty easily with woodworking tools, but that shit doesn't hold up very well at all to staining, scratches, or dings. I wanted to do that for the main tops, and a end grain butcher block for the island. That would've been sweet looking, but not real practical for a whole mess of reasons. The main one being I didn't want to build an end grain butcher block.

I actually pitch people to buy laminate countertops. Why? You can tear them out and redo them when you're sick of the color at least twice before you're even close to the cost of anything else. A new set of tops every 10 years can really change the look of a kitchen easily.

but, laminate isn't a good option when you have an undermount sink. That's where concrete, cultured stone, or stone appeals to me.

I'm a little shocked BusDriver hasn't weighed in.

I'll let you guys know if I find either Swan, or a mystery box somewhere. I invited the last mystery box over, she was full of surprises..... :blink: :ph34r:

To be honest, I've been lurking, looking at your work, and drooling. You do some seriously bad-ass work and I want to hire you when we do the kitchen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users