How does it work? What's it good for?

#2 dde

dde

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,957 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:11 PM

"Professional" Facebook. I personally hate it and the hacks at the Career Center here praise it up and down.

#3 Shibby

Shibby

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:12 PM

its for the currently unemployed

#4 bsainsbury

bsainsbury

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • Interests:Sail boating

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:45 PM

Not good for anything

#5 notallthere

notallthere

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,667 posts
  • Interests:any sport that starts with S

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:56 PM

It is annoying as fuck. You will get nonstop emails, and be utterly pissed off.

I can't figure out how to unsubscribe to the whole fuckin' mess!

#6 #13

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,656 posts
  • Interests:Antrim 27 and Mercury owner

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:58 PM

LinkedIn is a professional network. Simply put, you post your resume online. A more fleshed-out profile will include endorsements from past employers and colleagues, you link to colleagues and friends, and you can then leverage that network as you try to sell into companies (your friend is linked to someone working at a company).

All of that without taking into account the "power users": recruiters and HR folks. Not a month doesn't go by where I'm not approached by at least one recruiter asking if I'm interested in a change, and it never hurts to find out if you are getting paid what you are worth, so of course have a chat with them.

Well worth it.

#7 Rum Runner

Rum Runner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,193 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:59 PM

All you assholes are idiots. Go back to your Ass-Book site and post pictures of your drunken faces.

Linkedin is for people who really have jobs and work for a living.

#8 Throatwarbler-Mangrove

Throatwarbler-Mangrove

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,146 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:04 PM

Very useful if you're a professional, especially when you're in job search or in sales or business development. It takes some effort, but over time you can connect with almost everybody you've ever worked with or done business with or went to school with. If you need to get your resume to the top of the pile, or get the attention of somebody buried in an organization, it always helps to know somebody inside, or at least somebody who knows somebody inside. Also, recruiters do searches on LinkedIn.

Best to keep personal friends out of your LinkedIn network unless they're also professional friends. And do actively manage your privacy and email settings.

#9 12345

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 07:55 PM

Its a tool to use and you get out of it what you put into it. I only link to people I know or have done business with unlike some that have friend collections.

#10 mad

mad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,046 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:17 PM

Exactly as the last 2 posts say, use it for what it is and it can be very useful, especially if you don't/won't do the facebook thing.

As 12345 says, it's not a friend collecting tool, its a business tool. Linking to hundreds of people doesn't fool anyone.

#11 dde

dde

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,957 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:17 PM

All you assholes are idiots. Go back to your Ass-Book site and post pictures of your drunken faces.

Pot meet kettle with a statement like that.

#12 mad

mad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,046 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:22 PM

Pot meet kettle with a statement like that.

:lol: :lol:

#13 D.M.D.

D.M.D.

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:24 PM

But again, how do you unsuscribe from it?

#14 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,204 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:32 PM

Had the same problem...till I started spamming them back with some nasty schitt.

#15 mad

mad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,046 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:35 PM

But again, how do you unsuscribe from it?

From the site;

- Sign in to the account you want to close
- Move your cursor over your name in the top right of your home page and click 'Settings'
- Under the Account section, click 'Close Your Account'
- Select a reason for closing your account and click 'Continue'

Send an email to the support as well, they have always been good for the few times I dealt with them.

#16 mad

mad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,046 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:37 PM

Had the same problem...till I started spamming them back with some nasty schitt.

Details required B) but for another deserving recipient. You still getting cold working outside? Seem to remember you were threatening to take a break and go somewhere warm.

#17 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,204 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:31 PM

Details required...

Use your imagination or use the multitude of nasty shitt available on the net...

You still getting cold working outside? Seem to remember you were threatening to take a break and go somewhere warm.

Dressing for the conditions,never got cold working outside.

It was the November wet that encouraged the escape....

Been a pretty mild winter here overall as across most of the US...went to Maui,going back in another week or so...

Been enjoying the leisurely life as much as possible and called for my retirement papers yesterday.

#18 robalex117

robalex117

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:44 PM

It is gods gift to head hunters and in house recruiters. That also means if you are looking for a job it could be helpfull for you.

linkedin?

#19 Life Buoy 15

Life Buoy 15

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,240 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:31 AM

Linkedin is for people attention whores who can't get a have job.

Fixed. Linkedin is fail book for unemployed people who want to wear a tie to work.
The professional recruiters I know only go on it for laughs.

Unless you like to be contacted by some loser you went to school with trying to sell you life insurance.

Then it is fantastic.

#20 Throatwarbler-Mangrove

Throatwarbler-Mangrove

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,146 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:28 AM

The professional recruiters you know work the parking lot at Home Depot.

#21 Life Buoy 15

Life Buoy 15

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,240 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:38 AM

The professional recruiters you know work the parking lot at Home Depot.

Touched a nerve I see. Don't worry mate. Something will come along.

#22 B.J. Porter

B.J. Porter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,008 posts
  • Interests:Hallberg-Rassy 53 "Evenstar"

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:12 AM

Fixed. Linkedin is fail book for unemployed people who want to wear a tie to work.

Unless you like to be contacted by some loser you went to school with trying to sell you life insurance.

Then it is fantastic.

Funny, I just did a quick scan through my linked in contacts. Only about 75, and with the exception of me and one person who is now deceased they're all pretty much gainfully employed. Maybe I don't take on the losers and deadbeats? I wore a tie to work for many years, lots of my LinkedIn contacts are from those years and are now "VP of this" and "Senior That".

No one has tried to sell me anything. There is this one Marine Trades guy that keeps trying to Connect with me, but I keep telling him to piss off because I don't know him.

Of course I may be a completely useless contact for others, except in that I know people that know people even if I no longer have employees or staff under me - so I have provided a few networked connections to people. I don't really use it much, but figure it's worth building the network as a fallback if I need it.

The only thing that is a touch disturbing is that every few months it suggests Bull Gator as a contact.

#23 austin1972

austin1972

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,843 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:16 AM

Kinda funny to read people on an online social media site bash social media sites.
LinkedIn is a social media site just like SA except it's for business.

You meet nice people. You meet informative people. You meet douche nozzles. You meet attention whores...You meet some people you actually want to meet.
Pretty much the same concept as SA is to sailing.

No Friday on LinkedIn that I've found yet.

#24 dde

dde

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,957 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:46 AM

Kinda funny to read people on an online social media site bash social media sites.

Funny you say that, because SA is literally the only social media outlet that I don't hate. Hate Facebook. Hate LinkedIn. Starting to hate Twitter a little but I'm addicted to it nonetheless. Never got into Tumblr or Foursquare because I'm not artsy and I don't like to call myself the 'Mayor of the second stall in the Computer Building'. Pinterest is a rip-off of Tumblr, but that goes back to the artsy thing. Never really had the patience for other forums because either it's full of retards or I've gotten flicked because most forums aren't as lax as SA. Myspace was cool when I was 13. Soundcloud is decent, but I don't personally use it/I'm not that into music enough to follow links to it. I just used Crackberry today and thought it was a shithole. Yeah...SA is alright.

#25 BarePoles

BarePoles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts
  • Interests:sailing, surfing, architecture, Texas Forever

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:49 AM

Very useful at developing contacts in your profession you might otherwise not meet. Kinda like the fella that pokes his head into Crew Pool Anarchy even though he/she owns a boat or races regularly with a group, it's always helpful to build the network.

#26 hobot

hobot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,055 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:09 AM

Then it is fantastic.

Funny, I just did a quick scan through my linked in contacts. Only about 75, and with the exception of me and one person who is now deceased they're all pretty much gainfully employed. Maybe I don't take on the losers and deadbeats? I wore a tie to work for many years, lots of my LinkedIn contacts are from those years and are now "VP of this" and "Senior That".

No one has tried to sell me anything. There is this one Marine Trades guy that keeps trying to Connect with me, but I keep telling him to piss off because I don't know him.

Of course I may be a completely useless contact for others, except in that I know people that know people even if I no longer have employees or staff under me - so I have provided a few networked connections to people. I don't really use it much, but figure it's worth building the network as a fallback if I need it.

The only thing that is a touch disturbing is that every few months it suggests Bull Gator as a contact.

Cree Pee.

(oh hell, there goes my lent promise)

#27 Bad Andy

Bad Andy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Interests:SAILING

Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:24 AM

That cracks me up. Part of my job is head hunting and I get some hilarious replies to e-mails we send out on linked in. Most of the hate mail is so bad, its hilarious, it goes on the wall of shame next to the Seymo Johnson Resume and the guy who claimed to be a Ninja who can't speak American.

Linked has its uses for recruiting, but still has not got me hooked. More conventional methods work better most of the time. I am trying it for business development next, we'll see how that goes.

Details required...

Use your imagination or use the multitude of nasty shitt available on the net...

You still getting cold working outside? Seem to remember you were threatening to take a break and go somewhere warm.

Dressing for the conditions,never got cold working outside.

It was the November wet that encouraged the escape....

Been a pretty mild winter here overall as across most of the US...went to Maui,going back in another week or so...

Been enjoying the leisurely life as much as possible and called for my retirement papers yesterday.

#28 B.J. Porter

B.J. Porter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,008 posts
  • Interests:Hallberg-Rassy 53 "Evenstar"

Posted 22 February 2012 - 11:39 AM

Then it is fantastic.

Cree Pee.

(oh hell, there goes my lent promise)

Nine minutes! What fortitude. Once again this year I will have to endure another 40 beet-less days.

#29 Innocent Bystander

Innocent Bystander

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,643 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:18 PM

It's a tool. I've been headhunted a couple of times from there and reconnected with some old business and personal contacts through it.

I'd like to delete a couple of contacts who "Spam" several times a day but overall, it's more useful than not.

#30 tizak

tizak

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:11 PM

I find it handy as one of many tools available for business development. Joined a few groups (there are several sailing related) and have found some new products to explore and companies to arrange partnerships with. Never used it for recruiting and I think a lot of people slide around this intended purpose - complaints of non-recruiting discussions occur occasionally.

#31 CharlieCobra

CharlieCobra

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 07:01 PM

It's ok, got a couple of contacts off of it when I was on UN-enjoyment. Mighty picky about my contacts though.

#32 Steve Adolph

Steve Adolph

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 07:17 PM

there are times when it helps to know who is checking out your profile...

#33 kmccabe

kmccabe

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,033 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:37 PM

there are times when it helps to know who is checking out your profile...

I live by that site.

#34 Guitar

Guitar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,386 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, gold mining, meteorite hunting.

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:10 PM

I have found it very useful in making contacts globally and to reconnect with old work buddies. If used correctly it is a valuable tool for business. I have a link on my contact page on my site to my profile on Linkedin. As Kevin said, it is interesting on who is watching you.

1200+ contacts and still growing.

Posted Image
This is one contact I really enjoyed getting. Her profile pic. Yummmm.

#35 kmccabe

kmccabe

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,033 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:27 PM

I have found it very useful in making contacts globally and to reconnect with old work buddies. If used correctly it is a valuable tool for business. I have a link on my contact page on my site to my profile on Linkedin. As Kevin said, it is interesting on who is watching you.

1200+ contacts and still growing.

Posted Image
This is one contact I really enjoyed getting. Her profile pic. Yummmm.

on the topic of checking out profiles...

#36 craigiri

craigiri

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,340 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Innovation, Web Development, Writing, etc.

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:30 PM

linkedin?

Generally good for nothing....except maybe shorting the stock when it climbs high.....

#37 USA 236

USA 236

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 03:16 AM

"Professional" Facebook. I personally hate it and the hacks at the Career Center here praise it up and down.

Amen

#38 yowie

yowie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,371 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 11:18 AM

Linkin' to Professional Russian Wives?

#39 duncan (the other one)

duncan (the other one)

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 11:28 AM

Go back to your Ass-Book site and post pictures of your drunken faces.

I like that... might start up a social networking site ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users