• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#1 Bump-n-Grind

Bump-n-Grind

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,428 posts
  • Interests:Boats: J35, Chesapeake 20 ,Laser , 47' ChrisCraft Commander, Mainship 34, Volkl P10's 205's, Fischer Big Stix 185's, K2 Recons, K2 Xplorers, Rosi Phantoms, other boats and powder boards to be named later

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:24 PM

what's the skinny on "big" boat racing on Tahoe?
they do wednesday night stuff there? weekend regattas?

been pondering chucking it all and moving somewhere that I dont have to fly to to ski and can still get my keelboat racing fix. How long is the sailing season out there?

edit: duplicate post in Dingy Anarchy. Did a search on Tahoe and didn't look to see where I ended up :ph34r:

#2 craigiri

craigiri

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,340 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Innovation, Web Development, Writing, etc.

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:34 PM

With global warming, Rhode Island and Ma are becoming downright balmy (6 month sailing season) - and it's a short drive up to NH or VT.....

Of course, if you are a Vail guy you might not like east coast skiing.

#3 bmiller

bmiller

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:39 PM

What about Iceland?

Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 some dude

some dude

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,048 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:46 PM

been pondering chucking it all and moving somewhere that I dont have to fly to to ski and can still get my keelboat racing fix. How long is the sailing season out there?

edit: duplicate post in Dingy Anarchy. Did a search on Tahoe and didn't look to see where I ended up :ph34r:

come on out. a lot of the boats move down to SF Bay in winter, making for year round sailing.

#5 Schnick

Schnick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,099 posts

Seattle or Vancouver BC would be pretty good bets. Seattle's big boat scene is great.

#6 Silverbullet

Silverbullet

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,588 posts

I've sailed, skied, or played golf pretty much every weekend since Dec., and we're due for another dump this weekend.

#7 jewing

jewing

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Interests:If you're on this site, probably not that much different than yours

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:12 PM

With global warming, Rhode Island and Ma are becoming downright balmy (6 month sailing season) - and it's a short drive up to NH or VT.....

Raced dinghies last Sunday in Boston Harbor, then drove two hours Monday morning for a full day's skiing in NH. Back in Boston by dinnertime.

#8 Foreverslow

Foreverslow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, racing sailboats,and working on sailboats.

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:25 PM

Couple locales you can do both within 30 minutes of each other.

Sunapee NH

Wolfboro NH

Burlington VT (stowe)

Lake Dillon Co

#9 Rudder Madness

Rudder Madness

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:45 PM

Seattle or Vancouver BC would be pretty good bets. Seattle's big boat scene is great.

Agree that Seattle would be the best climate to both ski and sail. The ski resorts are all within 1-2 hours drive and the temperature on the Sound is not nearly as cold as it would be in Tahoe.

#10 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,361 posts
  • Interests:SA is DEAD

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:15 PM

Wind sucks on the Sound!

Tahoe skiing and living sailors generally pick their San Francisco events and their Tahoe events and do both. They generally sail a midwinters program in SF Bay during the winter and spend the rest of the week skiing most locals in Tahoe avoid skiing on the weekends unless they have kids in ski programs.

Tahoe in the summer they have an active beer can racing scene and a pretty decent regatta program. They generally have a few big boats - Melges - and others up there during the summers Antrim 27 etc. Most of those guys are pretty active and good sailors down on the SF Bay also.

Real Estate prices in Tahoe area are freaking dirt cheap now! Had the wife and I reconsidering our idea of some lake front property for retirement interest in the future. LOL

#11 WCB

WCB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,628 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:18 PM

We can't compare to the size lake of Tahoe but Park City, UT is an option. You don't even have to own a boat, just pay the season long charter fee of $250 to use a J22 anytime you want. Skiing at Deer Valley, Park City Mountain Resort or the Canyons. Lake to the Canyons is 20 minutes. Lake to a lift at DV, hmmm, maybe 2 minutes.

We have the SkiGatta March 31/April 1. I'll find you a loaner Laser. Ski racing is at PCMR.

www.sailparkcity.org

#12 Shaggy

Shaggy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,654 posts
  • Interests:This is SA, you figure it out.......

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:23 PM

Believe it or not the sailing on Dillon is really compeditive. You really aren't going to get it done in the same day as the lake freezes, but the season lasts from june to oct and skiing speaks for itself.

#13 Maxx Baqustae

Maxx Baqustae

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,007 posts
  • Interests:Ummmm......sailboat racing

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:29 PM

What Schick said.

If you are an American try Seattle vicinity or after lake country try Coeur d'Alene in Idaho. Lots of skiing like Sun Valley but there's lakes like Lake Chelan in Washington state. Skiing is no brainer with Snoqualmie, Mt. Baker, Stevens pass etc. All from an hour drive or so from Seattle. Lots of big boat sailing in Puget Sound. There's something going on all the time and it never freezes.

Vancouver vicinity has a stone throw from 3 mountains almost downtown. You can play tennis in the morning, sail in the afternoon and ski at night. All with in 45 minutes of each other. We had that Winter Olympic thingee awhile ago. I can't find the pic but we were motoring out for racing while it was going on and we went right by the Olympic torch downtown.

My backyard - I can see the ski hill from my office.
Attached File  img064.jpg   86.63K   31 downloads

The ski hill - looking out to English Bay where we race & sail. All year.
Attached File  PEAKVCR.jpg   30.69K   35 downloads

My club
Attached File  Club XMAS06.jpg   160.17K   30 downloads

If you want more rural there's Squamish at the end of Howe Sound on the Sea to Sky highway. It's the gateway for Whislter/Blackcomb area. All with within 45 minutes of each other.

But crikee - don't tell anyone!

#14 Rum Runner

Rum Runner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:38 PM

+1 for Vancouver BC. Great weather most of the year and killer skiing nearby. Also, smaller that Seattle and more manageable.

#15 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,361 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:49 PM

+1 for Vancouver BC. Great weather most of the year and killer skiing nearby. Also, smaller that Seattle and more manageable.

They have GOV funded health care too!

#16 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:32 PM

GOV funded?

Do you mean your healthcare funded by other taxpayers?

#17 Irish River

Irish River

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • Interests:sailing, skiing

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:28 AM

Yep, we pay medical premiums just like you Yanks. I think the biggest difference is Canada's is not for profit.

A year ago Feb, I sailed, golfed and try to ski in one day. The skiing sucked due to rain, actually so did the golf, but the sailing was nice, o ya it rained for that too. I'm going to giver a go again this weekend.

Dubai, you can ski indoors, the sailing there is alright (never been, but have heard).

#18 Ballast Technician

Ballast Technician

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:32 AM

GOV funded?

At least it is funded...

#19 Bump-n-Grind

Bump-n-Grind

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,428 posts
  • Interests:Boats: J35, Chesapeake 20 ,Laser , 47' ChrisCraft Commander, Mainship 34, Volkl P10's 205's, Fischer Big Stix 185's, K2 Recons, K2 Xplorers, Rosi Phantoms, other boats and powder boards to be named later

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:39 AM

Believe it or not the sailing on Dillon is really compeditive. You really aren't going to get it done in the same day as the lake freezes, but the season lasts from june to oct and skiing speaks for itself.

iv'e sailed on Dillon.. as I recall the wind direction and velocity changed about every 15 seconds :ph34r:
had a buddy in Vail that kept a soling there.. and oddly enough the J24 I owned in the mid 90's came from there. I think I need a slightly bigger body of water.

PNW might fill the bill.. but still think I need to look at the Tahoe area.. wish they were having a better season. Was hoping to take my kid out there in April, but doesn't look like much will still be open by then.

#20 Shaggy

Shaggy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,654 posts
  • Interests:This is SA, you figure it out.......

Posted 24 February 2012 - 06:05 AM

Yse it is small, but when you get stuck drifting for an hr between the 30 knot gusts, at least the view is palatable.....;)

#21 Bump-n-Grind

Bump-n-Grind

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,428 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 06:34 AM

Yse it is small, but when you get stuck drifting for an hr between the 30 knot gusts, at least the view is palatable.....;)

heheheh

#22 RocNoggin

RocNoggin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:16 AM

Of course, if you are a Vail guy you might not like east coast skiing.

does anyone actually "like" east coast skiing??? ;)

#23 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,204 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:07 AM

Wind sucks on the Sound!

If it sounds like a parrot....it probably is....Polly want a qwacker?

South Sound can indeed be light....

North Sound and on up Admiralty Inlet has changed more then a few sailors opinions that the conditions are relatively tame around here...

#24 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,838 posts
  • Interests:Racing in all forms.

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:30 AM

does anyone actually "like" east coast skiing??? Posted Image

It's better than a weekend in the city. In my limited experience.

#25 Moonduster

Moonduster

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,378 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:18 AM

I grew up (not really) in New England sailing on Buzzard's Bay, Vineyard Sound and a good bit of the coast north and south. I also thought I'd learned to ski in New England - New Hampshire and Vermont seemed to offer so much.

But the reality is that the hills of New England have nothing to offer in terms of skiiing. It took me 15 years on the West Coast to realize that skiiing is best done on snow, not ice, and that mountains are substantially different from the hills that beckon those in New England to strap on skis and pray for conditions that look like snow but are really either ice or rock.

There's never been skiing East of the Rockies and west of the Alps. Sure, you can pretend and bitch and whine and scream - but you're mistaken.

Similarly, there's no real cruising south of Seattle and West of - say - the Merrimack until one gets to Mexico, French Polyenesia and beyond.

Sure, some people swear by the Great Lakes and the "3rd Coast", but who really cares for swearing? That might be where they're stuck, and what's available, but that's like saying that Republicans can think. It's just collateral damage and it's best ignored and forgotten.

Bottom line - you can't cruise the west coast south of Juan De Fuca Straits and you can't ski East of Vail.

#26 Vogel515

Vogel515

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, snowboarding, skiing

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:21 PM

If you can ski the east, it will make you appreciate skiing ANYWHERE.

I sail in Boston and ski in NH, VT, ME... the skiing on average is fairly decent, it does get icy... and when it's really icy, it is polished concrete. You will get your powder / white room days, however the steepness and elevation changes are nothing compared to being out west. I typically get out skiing 15-20 times a season, and I spend close to 100 on the water...

#27 Bump-n-Grind

Bump-n-Grind

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,428 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:37 PM

Wind sucks on the Sound!

Tahoe skiing and living sailors generally pick their San Francisco events and their Tahoe events and do both. They generally sail a midwinters program in SF Bay during the winter and spend the rest of the week skiing most locals in Tahoe avoid skiing on the weekends unless they have kids in ski programs.

Tahoe in the summer they have an active beer can racing scene and a pretty decent regatta program. They generally have a few big boats - Melges - and others up there during the summers Antrim 27 etc. Most of those guys are pretty active and good sailors down on the SF Bay also.

Real Estate prices in Tahoe area are freaking dirt cheap now! Had the wife and I reconsidering our idea of some lake front property for retirement interest in the future. LOL

Thanks for taking a stab at actually answering my questions. It was the price of real estate that first got me thinking about Tahoe. I have a waterfront house in MD now. Saw listings in Tahoe that would give me a similar arrangement for about 1/4th - 1/3rd the cost. which opened up the retirement option. The rest of these places, while probably fine for a younger person or someone with more $$ than I, just do not fit the bill. Nice places to visit but can't afford to live there.

Skiing situation there seems similar to CO. The last few years I've gotten in 35-50 days on the mountain, very little weekend skiing unless with friends visiting from elsewhere.

#28 Bump-n-Grind

Bump-n-Grind

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,428 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:40 PM

does anyone actually "like" east coast skiing??? Posted Image

It's better than a weekend in the city. In my limited experience.

marginally

#29 sailingjunky

sailingjunky

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:39 AM

GOV funded?

Isn't that what we have right here in the good ole USA?

#30 sumpin

sumpin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,956 posts
  • Interests:scallop mining and rudder fairing
    stair falling book cover mending

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:00 PM

seattle, move there

#31 ducky

ducky

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:12 PM

seattle, move there

I heard they have hot russian chicks there!

#32 Bump-n-Grind

Bump-n-Grind

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,428 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 04:06 PM

seattle, move there

not likely

#33 sumpin

sumpin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,956 posts
  • Interests:scallop mining and rudder fairing
    stair falling book cover mending

Posted 27 February 2012 - 04:07 PM

lot's...
Got to watch for the weather changes. When it looks like a quick ski trip but turns to warm rain within an hour. Boarding in a muddy gutter not my idea of fun.
Have tried a few times to go for a sail on the sound and something always ruins it, no wind, constant drizzle or just downright depressing days of gray.
The locals love it though.

#34 sunseeker

sunseeker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:17 PM

lot's...
Got to watch for the weather changes. When it looks like a quick ski trip but turns to warm rain within an hour. Boarding in a muddy gutter not my idea of fun.
Have tried a few times to go for a sail on the sound and something always ruins it, no wind, constant drizzle or just downright depressing days of gray.

The locals everywhere love wherever they are, otherwise they'd move.

Seattle is hardly a retirement hot spot. Big Bear would make more sense than Seattle. But not necessarily for skiing, especially on weekends.

Nevada side of Tahoe. No state income tax.

#35 WHL

WHL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,690 posts
  • Interests:Offshore, Star, Farr 30, R Boat racing, and gunkholing in classic daysailers

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:31 PM

Although I agree with the other Vancouverites about ski/sail/golf/tennis & scuba on the same day, there's not much up here in terms of reliable wind, that competes with the sailing/racing in San Francisco Bay. It's also not that far to drive to Tahoe for a weekend, particularly if you live on the east side of the bay e.g. Walnut Creek area

#36 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,361 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:40 PM

Wind sucks on the Sound!

Thanks for taking a stab at actually answering my questions. It was the price of real estate that first got me thinking about Tahoe. I have a waterfront house in MD now. Saw listings in Tahoe that would give me a similar arrangement for about 1/4th - 1/3rd the cost. which opened up the retirement option. The rest of these places, while probably fine for a younger person or someone with more $$ than I, just do not fit the bill. Nice places to visit but can't afford to live there.

Skiing situation there seems similar to CO. The last few years I've gotten in 35-50 days on the mountain, very little weekend skiing unless with friends visiting from elsewhere.

Well last year they were skiing from Mid December through July in Tahoe. For retirement you want to spy the Nevada side homes given Nevada has lower taxes and non income tax vs CA does etc. Having said that our favorite areas around the lake are the North end to the North East side which puts you close to lots of big mountains North Star - Mt Rose etc etc. Plus your a short hop over to high way 80 for the trip down to the bay. Bit easier than Highway 50 at the south end.. Having said that south lake is getting a major make over in coming years and is really going after the village concept making the places like the Tahoe Keys and some of the other interesting areas along the lake at the south end look interesting another couple of years and those properties will be up there in price much like Incline Village area at the north end only with more services etc. The big mountain at the south end is Heavenly which has a tram that runs from down town south lake to the top which is cool. Kirkwood is a bit of a drive and can be tough to get to some times but the snow up there tends to be epic I recall last year they were pushing 32+ft of snow base! Yes thats why they were skiing till July!

Given the choice though I think the wife and I would probably end up at the north end some where between Tahoe City and Incline Village given the wife is so Anti South Lake for some reason. Though the right Tahoe Keys house with a dock outback on the lake would probably change her mind. HA HA

#37 craigiri

craigiri

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,340 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Innovation, Web Development, Writing, etc.

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:46 PM

does anyone actually "like" east coast skiing??? ;)

A lot of the pros do since they tend to come from there...turns out if you learn how to ski in ice, rocks, rain and sleet.....you do better when you go to the olympics.

New England skiing is great if you are a "pick your days" person, where you can go mid-week, etc.

It sucks if you have to do weekend only and pre-plan.

#38 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,361 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:49 PM

lot's...

Seattle is hardly a retirement hot spot. Big Bear would make more sense than Seattle. But not necessarily for skiing, especially on weekends.

We have a family cabin in Big Bear it compares in No manner what so ever to Tahoe. It is more like a cheap Donner Lake type location. The single ski resort was partially funded by my wifes family they had a designated parking spot right up front and golden tickets. LOL The family spends time up there during the summers now even then the lake can be down so far its just a few weeks from being a mud pit. LOL The down hill Mt biking off the lift is fun though.

#39 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,361 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:57 PM

Another idea would be Donner lake but the lake front homes tend to be pretty pricy and fewer to choose from generally regarding inventory on the market. We stayed up there last August at a friends place just one street up from the lake. Super mellow family oriented type area very low key traffic vs Tahoe all the towns can get pretty intense with traffic around the lake during the winter and key summer months.

Summer time is when most rentals are booked for the longest period of time winter time the rentals generally only see solid rental time around Newyears and thats about it. So from a rental potential stand point its not a bad idea to target places that have more summer rental appeal than winter ski rental appeal which is funny because most people think Tahoe is only a winter destination which if you go by the actual rental profits and how booked things are the Summer months are the busiest months. LOL

#40 crash

crash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:21 PM

lot's...

Too many pretend skiers/party gamblers clogging up Heavenly. If no state income tax, they just tax something else to make up for it....If your serious about skiing, stay on the California North Shore

#41 jrpytlak

jrpytlak

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,731 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:14 PM

You wanna check out the bay area, you can stay in our guest room. We're less than 45 minutes to any of the YC's and we're 3.5 hours from sout Tahoe. If you want better skiing and less party, Squaw is 3 hours 20 from my place. You'll find the sailing..... Different out here.

#42 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,361 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:21 PM

To give you rough ideas on distances

Concord to ski resorts runs 3hr to 3hr 20-30 minutes pending when you leave and the weather.
Vacaville is about an hour closer to the slopes
Davis is about 45 minutes closer
Sacramento is about an hour 30 min

Not counting the mad rush to and fro on Friday's or Sundays which case those drives can range from 4-7hrs.
The Tahoe folks who sail are always going opposite direction of the Ski rush thats in part by design if you ask the Tahoe Based sailors about it LOL.

Another area that is nice but not lake front is Truckee there are some really nice properties to be had at a good price and your close or possibly on the river if you take that approach.

#43 foulbottom

foulbottom

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:38 PM

Another idea would be Donner lake but the lake front homes tend to be pretty pricy and fewer to choose from generally regarding inventory on the market. We stayed up there last August at a friends place just one street up from the lake. Super mellow family oriented type area very low key traffic vs Tahoe all the towns can get pretty intense with traffic around the lake during the winter and key summer months.

Summer time is when most rentals are booked for the longest period of time winter time the rentals generally only see solid rental time around Newyears and thats about it. So from a rental potential stand point its not a bad idea to target places that have more summer rental appeal than winter ski rental appeal which is funny because most people think Tahoe is only a winter destination which if you go by the actual rental profits and how booked things are the Summer months are the busiest months. LOL

Exact opposite rental situation at my place at Squaw. 90% of the business is Christmas through March, 10% summer. It all depends on location.

Skiing at Squaw and Alpine last weekend was a lot like a good day in Vermont and New Hampshire - icy and lots of rocks. Some winters are good, some are great, last year was knee deep power on Memorial Day and skiing the Palisades in shorts on July 4. Some not so good - like this year so far, but it looks like the pattern is about to change. I have had more sick powder days in Tahoe in one month than I had in 12 years in New England. Now that I think about it - I don't think I had any sick powder days in New England.

The weather stat often cited for Tahoe is 300 sunny days/year. I don't know if that's true but the year I lived up there it sure seemed like it. The only downside to sailing on Tahoe is the water is COLD year round. Donner Lake is cold too though it warms up down by the west end in summer time. Check out Tahoe Donner, they have an awesome community rec center and a beach club on Donner Lake.

#44 Beau.Vrolyk

Beau.Vrolyk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,269 posts
  • Interests:Sailing on any and everything that floats. Skiing when the rainfall turns semi-solid and white.

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:26 AM

Bump-n-Grind

After living in San Francisco and Skiing at Lake Tahoe for most of my life, we decided to have a place at the beach in Santa Cruz, a small place in San Francisco for "city living" and we actually spend most of our skiing time at Alta (near Salt Lake) or Jackson Hole, WY. The "travel time" door-to-door from San Francisco to Alta is the same, including going through TSA and getting the shuttle from SLC airport to Alta, as it is to drive from San Francisco to Tahoe on a Friday night when it's snowing.

But as soon as The Admiral works her way out of a job, we're seriously considering a place at Tahoe because we can travel on week days and ski on week days. Weekends are crowded. In my opinion, the snow in Alta and Jackson is WAY better than anything along either coast, east or west. Much lighter and a heap more powder. Alta's average snowfall is 500" per year and it's almost always real powder. You get more feet at places in the PNW like Mt. Bachelor but it gets quite heavy and wet from being at a lower altitude and closer to the Ocean.

We have never found a single place we want to live year around and have chosen to have multiple places that are a lot smaller. Living in the snow in the winter is "fun" for a year or two but once the novelty wears off and the joints get older, it starts to suck. Better to visit.

Our 2Cents,

BV

#45 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,361 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:45 AM

Bump-n-Grind

After living in San Francisco and Skiing at Lake Tahoe for most of my life, we decided to have a place at the beach in Santa Cruz, a small place in San Francisco for "city living" and we actually spend most of our skiing time at Alta (near Salt Lake) or Jackson Hole, WY. The "travel time" door-to-door from San Francisco to Alta is the same, including going through TSA and getting the shuttle from SLC airport to Alta, as it is to drive from San Francisco to Tahoe on a Friday night when it's snowing.

But as soon as The Admiral works her way out of a job, we're seriously considering a place at Tahoe because we can travel on week days and ski on week days. Weekends are crowded. In my opinion, the snow in Alta and Jackson is WAY better than anything along either coast, east or west. Much lighter and a heap more powder. Alta's average snowfall is 500" per year and it's almost always real powder. You get more feet at places in the PNW like Mt. Bachelor but it gets quite heavy and wet from being at a lower altitude and closer to the Ocean.

We have never found a single place we want to live year around and have chosen to have multiple places that are a lot smaller. Living in the snow in the winter is "fun" for a year or two but once the novelty wears off and the joints get older, it starts to suck. Better to visit.

Our 2Cents,

BV

Condo's are great for that - super nice place in the village at one of the Tahoe resorts just walk to the lift and go. Then a nice little place near the YC some place around the Bay Area. Good way to go for sure! When the wife and I retire shooting for 58 when the kids bail for college the big ol family house gets sold and we go find a fun little place to park it or maybe even a house with a dock outback next to the yacht club? HA HA

#46 riracer

riracer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts
  • Interests:You're on SA and wondering???

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:45 AM

Fun thread for me to live/dream vicariously! I ski NE because I live in RI and I love sailing here ... and retirement isn't in the next few years. I can make good cases for either SLC or Tahoe. And San Francisco is accessible for both for big boat racing. I like the Wasatch snow better most of the time, but a good powder dump is still that.

Keep on posting and poking around the idea!

#47 Silverbullet

Silverbullet

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,588 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 02:40 AM

This thread has devolved into justifying a 4-7 hour drive to get to sailing/skiing. The OP asked the question and there is still no better option than Seattle or Vancouver if you want both without having to spend 8-14 hrs in a car RT to get to one or the other.

This little gem in 90 min from DT Seattle and has seen 30 feet of snowfall year-to-date. It was 18 deg. at the summit today.
Posted Image

Or you could've seen Rainier from another angle where it was blowing 17-19 this afternoon.

Posted Image

#48 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,204 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 02:49 AM

Beautiful day wasn't it...were you flying today Silverbullet or was that taken from above Gig Harbor.

#49 Bump-n-Grind

Bump-n-Grind

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,428 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:52 AM

This thread has devolved into justifying a 4-7 hour drive to get to sailing/skiing. The OP asked the question and there is still no better option than Seattle or Vancouver if you want both without having to spend 8-14 hrs in a car RT to get to one or the other.

This little gem in 90 min from DT Seattle and has seen 30 feet of snowfall year-to-date. It was 18 deg. at the summit today.

actually the OP, me, asked the original question:

and so far i've only had one person attempt to answer the original question.

I ski 35-50 days a season now and get in probably twice that on the water.
where I live now we do wed nights from Mid-April thru Sept. the weekend stuff goes another few weeks into November. I dont need or want year round sailing.. i'd rather go to the Caribbean to sail in the winter. I'm in my mid 50's and don't need to be bustin' my silly ass every weekend in big ass air in San Fransisco. Lake Tahoe looks big enough to have some fun sailing on, Lake Dillon not so much.

is there any sort of unified regatta schedule for Tahoe on a website anywhere?

#50 RocNoggin

RocNoggin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:17 AM

Posted Image

Or you could've seen Rainier from another angle where it was blowing 17-19 this afternoon.

Posted Image

it may have been 18 deg at the top of Crystal today but the problem with PNW skiing is that it could have just as easily been 38 deg at the top as it too often is around here.

you do a lot of racing around here so I am pretty sure you were out for Winter Vashon, Duwamish Head and Toliva Shoal. where was the 17-19 knots then? all of those races were shortened. as it has already been mentioned in the thread the Puget Sound is a light air venue and all too often the racing here can be pretty disappointing.

but when the sun shines it sure is beautiful and the skiing yesterday rocked! what an awesome day! LOL

#51 RocNoggin

RocNoggin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:37 AM

where I live now we do wed nights from Mid-April thru Sept. the weekend stuff goes another few weeks into November. I dont need or want year round sailing.. i'd rather go to the Caribbean to sail in the winter. I'm in my mid 50's and don't need to be bustin' my silly ass every weekend in big ass air in San Fransisco. Lake Tahoe looks big enough to have some fun sailing on, Lake Dillon not so much.

couldn't find a unified schedule but did find these:

http://tahoeyc.com/under-sail.html

http://www.southlaketahoeyachtclub.com/events_calendar.htm

http://tahoewindjammers.com/racing.htm

from those links I would say: yes, there are Wednesday night races; yes, they do have weekend regattas; "big" boat races? guess that depends on what's your idea of a "big" boat. I did see mention of an Express 27 one-design class. could be fun.

interesting thread by the way.

#52 Silverbullet

Silverbullet

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,588 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:09 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

it may have been 18 deg at the top of Crystal today but the problem with PNW skiing is that it could have just as easily been 38 deg at the top as it too often is around here.

you do a lot of racing around here so I am pretty sure you were out for Winter Vashon, Duwamish Head and Toliva Shoal. where was the 17-19 knots then? all of those races were shortened. as it has already been mentioned in the thread the Puget Sound is a light air venue and all too often the racing here can be pretty disappointing.

but when the sun shines it sure is beautiful and the skiing yesterday rocked! what an awesome day! LOL

I fully understand that we can have 18 or 38 deg at the summit of Crystal, and I embrace that. That's essentially my point - we have the option in the winter to hit the slopes or the saltwater , all within an hour +/- of each other. I'm not saying we have Utah conditions, but at the same time our sailing venues aren't frozen over come Nov. Nor are we travelling 4 hrs. to get in on a dump.

And our wind...in spite of what the guy who thinks the world revolves around SF Bay says, it doesn't quite "suck".
It can suck, and it certainly has lately during some normally good winter racing that usually sees whitecaps and busy sailmakers the day after. The funny thing is this winter we've seen more mid-week storms blow through while our weekend have been relatively tame. Anyhow, we have plenty of med-big air days to keep it interesting, and I feel that light-air days make for good drinking and laughs and it won't scare off any cute girls new to the boat.

#53 X X-Yachter

X X-Yachter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:49 PM

Reality check folks: average US worker won't be retiring anytime soon. So for those of us who don't have condos in Aspen and a Swan 53 in St Martin- you are still looking at weekend based events with 3-4 hr driving range likely. You get older you don't want to spend your time in a car.
So my vote is find a place to work, ski, and sail. And do them all like you have stolen every minute of your existence from the grim reaper.

#54 Activator

Activator

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:56 PM

Perth in Scotland. Ski at Glenshee in the morning, it's a one hour drive then back to Perth Sailing Club in the afternoon to sail your Laser, or perhaps play a round at Rosemount or Gleneagles instead, perfect!

http://www.ski-glens...co.uk/index.php

#55 Bump-n-Grind

Bump-n-Grind

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,428 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:13 PM

from those links I would say: yes, there are Wednesday night races; yes, they do have weekend regattas; "big" boat races? guess that depends on what's your idea of a "big" boat. I did see mention of an Express 27 one-design class. could be fun.

Thanks for the links. Helpful.

yeah.. interesting mix.. moore 24s melges 24's Farr 36's j125s a couple antrims and a varied array of 4ksb's

was actually tempted by the left coast dart auction a few times as probably a good boat for Tahoe.
would have made Tahoe Keys a very viable option. I doubt there too many houses in there I could afford that could accommodate a J35 :blink:

was never really considering taking my two bigger boats up there anyway.

#56 foulbottom

foulbottom

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:58 PM

yeah.. interesting mix.. moore 24s melges 24's Farr 36's j125s a couple antrims and a varied array of 4ksb's

was actually tempted by the left coast dart auction a few times as probably a good boat for Tahoe.
would have made Tahoe Keys a very viable option. I doubt there too many houses in there I could afford that could accommodate a J35 :blink:

As I think you have realized, another thing to consider about Tahoe is that there are few marinas, and moorings are expensive. You'll likely have to haul the boat in the winter, so unless you're rich, a trailerable boat is probably the way to go.

#57 Maxx Baqustae

Maxx Baqustae

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,007 posts
  • Interests:Ummmm......sailboat racing

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:24 PM

I think that if it's a boat of any size - like above trailerable - moorage is a big issue in Tahoe.

#58 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,361 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:02 PM

Tahoe isn't that bad regarding summer month in water parking. Just takes planning and some thought you can't just show up on opening day and expect a parking spot. If your smart enough to afford purchasing property in Tahoe you can sort out a boat solution for summer sailing. Not really a big deal. The only challenge are in low lake level years getting boats out of the lake that draw any sort of water beyond a skiff gets very hard. But thats easily predictable given you can see when the water levels are going to be an issue.

#59 jrpytlak

jrpytlak

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,731 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:31 PM

Lotta the Tahoe guys bring their boats down to SF for the winter. If ya want an Antrim 27, I can help ya out with one.

#60 Guitar

Guitar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,433 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, gold mining, meteorite hunting.

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:27 PM

Tahoe requires inspections now for the zebra clam infestation, I hear it is about $65.00? Launching is also expensive, in and out.

Look at the foothills east of Sacramento, either the Hiway 50 (Placerville) or Hiway 80 (Auburn) corridor, or places north and south of those towns.

2 hours from downtown SF, 1hour and change to Squaw or SLT/Heavenly.

Sail out of Richmond and it is under 2 hours drive.

If you live below the 2000 ft. elevation you will be above the valley fog and below the snowline.

#61 Bump-n-Grind

Bump-n-Grind

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,428 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:42 AM

Flying out to Tahoe for a long labor day weekend to look at houses.
I see on one of the Calendars that there is a race on Sept 2.
If anybody knows anyone up there that is doing the race,
a pm on here with contact info would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

#62 HikeOut

HikeOut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:32 PM

Lake Dillon area is the way to go. You are 5 min to the lake with great fleets of J22's, J24, J80, and Stars and you are 5-10 min from Keystone, Breck, Copper...oh geez, 15 long minutes to Vail. Best of both worlds. Damn I miss it.

#63 Bump-n-Grind

Bump-n-Grind

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,428 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:46 PM

Lake Dillon area is the way to go. You are 5 min to the lake with great fleets of J22's, J24, J80, and Stars and you are 5-10 min from Keystone, Breck, Copper...oh geez, 15 long minutes to Vail. Best of both worlds. Damn I miss it.

been there done that, no thanks. Already have a place in Vail.. looking for something new.

#64 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,361 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:54 PM

Thanks in advance.

Took the family up to Tahoe Keys for a week in June. Had a great time the homes up there on the market have been sitting for a long time 1 yr plus! The RE Agents we talked with said that the sellers were all in la la land and they were not expecting to sell anything unless someone off their rocker was ready to over pay.

Tahoe Keys HOA was $1400 a year - includes two pools one outside at the club beach and one very nice indoor year around pool + small work out facility. $1900 a year you get water service. We stayed in a home along the back side the houses across the street were the last houses on the canal system. Took the wife and I about 14 minutes to paddle the 16foot kevlar canoe at a good pace out to the lake. For sure with the right negotiation and RE Agent there are deals to be found in the Keys. Wife is now into the idea of a Keys House instead of a North lake house up off the lake in the pines. Rough market guesses had us thinking $380K to say $450K would get you a decent place in the Keys if you could shake a seller into selling and they didn't buy in the 06-08 mad times. The home we rented the owner payed $850K and its value was probably around $450K they would never sell it at current market values.

#65 Bump-n-Grind

Bump-n-Grind

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,428 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 07:42 PM

Thanks in advance.

Took the family up to Tahoe Keys for a week in June. Had a great time the homes up there on the market have been sitting for a long time 1 yr plus! The RE Agents we talked with said that the sellers were all in la la land and they were not expecting to sell anything unless someone off their rocker was ready to over pay.

Tahoe Keys HOA was $1400 a year - includes two pools one outside at the club beach and one very nice indoor year around pool + small work out facility. $1900 a year you get water service. We stayed in a home along the back side the houses across the street were the last houses on the canal system. Took the wife and I about 14 minutes to paddle the 16foot kevlar canoe at a good pace out to the lake. For sure with the right negotiation and RE Agent there are deals to be found in the Keys. Wife is now into the idea of a Keys House instead of a North lake house up off the lake in the pines. Rough market guesses had us thinking $380K to say $450K would get you a decent place in the Keys if you could shake a seller into selling and they didn't buy in the 06-08 mad times. The home we rented the owner payed $850K and its value was probably around $450K they would never sell it at current market values.

U20, Thanks for staying on topic LOL
I'm finding the same things. I've actually shifted gears a little bit away from Tahoe Keys also.
have found a few interesting shorts in incline and near stateline that I will be looking at when I fly out over labor day. I've still got to get a condo and a piece of land sold in VA. The condo should go in a month, the land .. well.. it may take a while.. If I think I can afford to take a loss on the condo in Vail I can get it sold in a week. just depends on how much loss I can stomach.. but as Kenny Rogers once said so eloquently, "ya got know when to fold em"

If I get the two condos sold I could probably snatch up a couple places out there and still be able to pull of the retirement and take my time selling off the rest of the east coast property.
Now I'm wishing I'd bid on that left coast dart. I think that would have been an ideal boat for the lake with trailoring options all over the left coast. oh well..

#66 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,361 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 07:56 PM

Thanks in advance.

I'm finding the same things. I've actually shifted gears a little bit away from Tahoe Keys also.
have found a few interesting shorts in incline and near stateline that I will be looking at when I fly out over labor day. I've still got to get a condo and a piece of land sold in VA. The condo should go in a month, the land .. well.. it may take a while.. If I think I can afford to take a loss on the condo in Vail I can get it sold in a week. just depends on how much loss I can stomach.. but as Kenny Rogers once said so eloquently, "ya got know when to fold em"

If I get the two condos sold I could probably snatch up a couple places out there and still be able to pull of the retirement and take my time selling off the rest of the east coast property.
Now I'm wishing I'd bid on that left coast dart. I think that would have been an ideal boat for the lake with trailoring options all over the left coast. oh well..

I spoke with a broker at lunch when we were at the Beacon over in Richardsons Resort. He warned me that NV areas around the lake were passing steep parcel taxes and that in some cases staying in CA might be cheaper tax wise. He highly advised to do your home work on the parcel taxes being levied on the homes in NV.

Also we have a couple of friends who have places in Incline their major complaint is the added 1hr 30min to 3hrs to SF from Incline pending weather and season etc. On the flip side MT Rose is just up the road very close to Incline and is a fun place to ski. I have done some of the best skiing there on weekends buying a half day pass and skiing my ass off with zero lines at the lifts.

#67 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,361 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 07:59 PM

Thanks in advance.

The Dart is cool and that deal was hard to pass up! No Doubt my other choice would be keeping an eye and thumb on the SF U24's very similar idea to the Dart and great Tahoe and SF boat Easy to tow also. U20 is smaller we really enjoyed ours and there is one local Tahoe U20 good friends of ours they do Tahoe with it all the time. Great boat

#68 r22tahoe

r22tahoe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:Boat work, snow shoveling, PHRF scoring debates

Posted 08 August 2012 - 12:23 AM

Thanks in advance.

pm sent.

#69 Bump-n-Grind

Bump-n-Grind

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,428 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 03:57 AM

Thanks in advance.

pm sent.

Thanks mate!

#70 Bump-n-Grind

Bump-n-Grind

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,428 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 05:58 PM

Posted Image

#71 One eye Jack

One eye Jack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts
  • Location:Reno,Nv. San Francisco Bay , Santa Cruz,Ca. Tahoe,Nv
  • Interests:Sailing. I shot a man in Reno.. Just to watch him die..

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:31 PM

1344369409[/url]' post='3816345']

1344368572[/url]' post='3816329']

1344365681[/url]' post='3816264']

1344318154[/url]' post='3815569']

Thanks in advance.

I spoke with a broker at lunch when we were at the Beacon over in Richardsons Resort. He warned me that NV areas around the lake were passing steep parcel taxes and that in some cases staying in CA might be cheaper tax wise. He highly advised to do your home work on the parcel taxes being levied on the homes in NV.

Also we have a couple of friends who have places in Incline their major complaint is the added 1hr 30min to 3hrs to SF from Incline pending weather and season etc. On the flip side MT Rose is just up the road very close to Incline and is a fun place to ski. I have done some of the best skiing there on weekends buying a half day pass and skiing my ass off with zero lines at the lifts.

Parcel tax? Are you talking about property tax? Nevada has a limit on taxes for property.. It is about 1% of the appraised Value of he land and home..my tax has gone down with the devaluation of my property.. Once the value goes up, the tax increase will follow. one thing to watch is starting January first is the carbon credit tax in California.. You might want to check that out. Not many know about it but they will..they are talking that gasoline in the state will rise to about $6.00.. But time will tell..plus. California is in a major finanual bind.. Nevada isnt quite in the black, but we are near even.. As you also bring up travel time to the bay.. Most of California takes 50.. Some is close to Truckee and 80.. With a four wheel 99% of the time you don't need to chain up, and across 80 more than 50% of the time...chain control/ or FWD is from Donner lake to Kingvale, basically just the summit..but then again every once in a while , but very seldom I have seen chain control from Nv/Ca border to Auburn.. That is the worst and won't last for long.. Maybe a few hours.. And that is the worst..California has a special highway district just for Donner pass, to keep it open for the trucking..How important? One day Donner is close, is one week of screwed up food supply at Hunts Point produce dist in New York.. 50 is a little different as the route isn't as important.. Good luck finding a place. Ohhh and Nevada has no income tax if you are going to work in Nevada.

#72 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,361 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:40 PM

PARCEL TAX - do I need to say it again? Its a property Parcel tax levied on each property for a given area. The broker lived east shore NV side and said that his area had not been hit by the trend of levying parcel taxes on each property yet but he knew of at least two NV areas along Tahoe that had several of them added in recent years some of which were not cheap. Parcel TAX is the new way for local governments to get money to cover local costs given our GOV or STATES are going broke and not giving various funds back to the local agencies and gov's. In CA the parcel tax is the new anti CA GOV method for keeping local tax money local vs having the STATE collect it and then sit around wondering if the State agencies will give any back or possibly just put it some place and forget about it and beg for more tax money etc. LOL

So yes be sure to check parcel taxes on any NV property to make sure your not ending up with a bunch of locally levied taxes you were not told about up front.

#73 Bump-n-Grind

Bump-n-Grind

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,428 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 08:10 PM

noted.... Parcel Tax

#74 Bump-n-Grind

Bump-n-Grind

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,428 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 04:28 AM

Having a real nice long weekend in Tahoe. Great day on the water today courtesy of R22tahoe.
Thanks mate.
Back to looking at houses tomorrow.
Now to find a boat that ramp launches .....

Having a real nice long weekend in Tahoe. Great day on the water today courtesy of R22tahoe.
Thanks mate.
Back to looking at houses tomorrow.
Now to find a boat that ramp launches .....

#75 miscut jib

miscut jib

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 05:35 PM

Ohhh and Nevada has no income tax if you are going to work in Nevada.

Or earn any sort of income at all, California will claw and grab for every cent.

Washington has imo better skiing than Tahoe, more diversity of water, and ... no income tax as well. Yes, it can get warm.... so can tahoe. It can also get colder and drier than Tahoe. Closer to BC for road trips as well. Large variety of waterfront property

#76 Bump-n-Grind

Bump-n-Grind

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,428 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:52 AM

washington would take 10 years to look at all the possibilities. I've found some interesting options on houses up here in Tahoe. Not making any offers on anything this trip but have a pretty good idea of what's out there and what I want. now back to the salt mine.....

#77 jim lee

jim lee

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 05:20 AM

And to complete your plan, the trailer sailor you need..

http://smu.gs/PEQjjs <- pic link

-jim lee

#78 tigger12

tigger12

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 06:01 AM

washington would take 10 years to look at all the possibilities. I've found some interesting options on houses up here in Tahoe. Not making any offers on anything this trip but have a pretty good idea of what's out there and what I want. now back to the salt mine.....

The advantage of the Washington option would be the ability to bolt a BBQ on the rail of your keelboat of choice and head out for a month in the San Juans, Gulf Islands, and Desolation Sound. Feeling frisky? Go around the Island. Bellingham might be an option--University town, not too big, cost of living a fraction of Vancouver (and Seattle too, I would guess) but still close to the major centers. Just a thought. Skiing? Well, Mount Baker is close, but like Whistler is (I think, anyway) just too close to the coast to produce the kind of snow conditions I'm guessing you are looking for. The interior mountains of BC (Apex, Big White, Silver Star, and Sun Peaks) have excellent skiing in real snow, and while not a day trip can be reached in 5 - 6 hours from Bellingham. Happy Hunting--Cheers.

#79 Bump-n-Grind

Bump-n-Grind

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,428 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:53 PM

And to complete your plan, the trailer sailor you need..

http://smu.gs/PEQjjs <- pic link

-jim lee

I gotta hook back up with Mark and go for a ride on #3

#80 Lynch

Lynch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Interests:Sailing! Beer Wine Winning occasionally

Posted 05 September 2012 - 09:05 AM

I lived in Portland OR a long time ago. Fantastic skiing on Mount Hood, all year round if you can take the altitude. Sailing on the Columbia often in big breeze and the ocean is only an hour West.
It's a fantastic city and at the time there was no sales tax. Not sure if that still applies. A lot of my colleagues lived just north of the state line in Washington where there was no property tax!

#81 Wess

Wess

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,995 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 11:26 AM

Need more options than one place can provide.

My plan - T minus 6 years till execution - is a one bedroom cabin outside Jackson Hole for skiiing, horses and climbing, a used Chris White Atlatic 42 catamaran for blue water adventures, and a Laser on a truck roof mount for lake sailing.

Five years, 363 days and counting.

Wess

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users