99 replies to this topic

#1 DaveK

DaveK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,773 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:46 PM

I got into real estate about a year and a half ago. One of the hardest thing to actually get into ever. I kept my day job in engineering but still dabbled. I'm sure some people would say, well it isn't that big of deal to sell a house..... I do it all the time. Well given todays market and enviroment, it is extremely hard. You can get listings, but they just sit. You can find buyers but they don't qualify. And to find these people is really really hard to begin with.

So I got a lead from a newsletter I started about a neighborhood near me. After giving them a listing presentation and market analysis from 2 months ago, they finally called back and said yes, list house. I don't care who you are, the first time you list a house is daunting. And there is a bunch to do. So I double check myself for 2 days before making the listing active. I activate it yesterday at 4pm. At 5pm, it has a showing.. At 6pm, I have verbal contract that offer will be made. At 7pm, I have another verbal contract with no specific price. At 5am, I'm awoken with shudders of WTF do I do with contract. Real Estate to me is very much non procedural undescribed work with huge legal boundries that are vaguely defined. I finally get up and go to my day job wondering whats about to happen.

At 8am agent 1 makes verbal offer 1 which is full price. 159,900. At 9am, written offer 1 comes in at 163,000. At 930am Agent 2 makes verbal offer at 157000. I tell agent 2, by sellers approval, that we have another offer. I never told offer 1 that I had another offer and they marked the price up above list since they want the house so bad. I'm shitting my pants at this moment. Realize people that I've never negotiated a house with one buyer much less 2. This isn't suppose to happen! And one of them got into a price war all by themselves! In the end, I submit both offers to seller and they select offer 1. All is good so far but that was a crazy 24 hours for my first listing. It happened to fast really. But I'm gonna go slap a pending in 24 hours sign on it!!

I still have no idea what I'm doing but the title company better cover my ass now!!

#2 El Mariachi

El Mariachi

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,193 posts
  • Interests:Not dying.

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:54 PM

Go The You!......

#3 On the Hard

On the Hard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,146 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:56 PM

1. Congratulations on getting the listing

2. COngratulations on getting multiple offers.

3. But most of all, congratulations on convincing your seller to set a realistic offering price. Houses sit because people are unrealistic about what their house will sell for and feel like they need to leave room to negotiate. I think the hardest thing about being a realtor (other than finding the listings) is when you do a market analysis and the owner says, Yeah, but I want to list it for XXXXX anyway. Winds up being a waste of your time and theirs.

I'm hoping to list my house in a couple of years (after daughter graduates) and I really hope I can take my own advice!

#4 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,361 posts
  • Interests:SA is DEAD

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:58 PM

Nice now you need to move into selling property that pays to sell. LOL As one friend put it she could keep teaching kinder garden making peanuts renting a room from a old college roommate who has a huge house now - or she could move to Tahoe sell one or two homes a year and double or triple her income and take the rest of the year off and go snow skiing and sit on a beach in Mexico. LOL

#5 Norm

Norm

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:01 AM

So, different countries, different processes.

You list the property and then you let other agents show it to their buyers and then you and the selling agent share the comm. ? Is that how it works ?

#6 4knotSB

4knotSB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,748 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:02 AM

Stop selling Real Estate right this very minute. You're having too much fun, and you're hopelessly addicted. Last year, my mom finally stopped selling RE at the age of eighty.

Oh, and best of luck to you.

#7 chinabald

chinabald

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,530 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:05 AM

I got into real estate about a year and a half ago. One of the hardest thing to actually get into ever. I kept my day job in engineering but still dabbled. I'm sure some people would say, well it isn't that big of deal to sell a house..... I do it all the time. Well given todays market and enviroment, it is extremely hard. You can get listings, but they just sit. You can find buyers but they don't qualify. And to find these people is really really hard to begin with.

So I got a lead from a newsletter I started about a neighborhood near me. After giving them a listing presentation and market analysis from 2 months ago, they finally called back and said yes, list house. I don't care who you are, the first time you list a house is daunting. And there is a bunch to do. So I double check myself for 2 days before making the listing active. I activate it yesterday at 4pm. At 5pm, it has a showing.. At 6pm, I have verbal contract that offer will be made. At 7pm, I have another verbal contract with no specific price. At 5am, I'm awoken with shudders of WTF do I do with contract. Real Estate to me is very much non procedural undescribed work with huge legal boundries that are vaguely defined. I finally get up and go to my day job wondering whats about to happen.

At 8am agent 1 makes verbal offer 1 which is full price. 159,900. At 9am, written offer 1 comes in at 163,000. At 930am Agent 2 makes verbal offer at 157000. I tell agent 2, by sellers approval, that we have another offer. I never told offer 1 that I had another offer and they marked the price up above list since they want the house so bad. I'm shitting my pants at this moment. Realize people that I've never negotiated a house with one buyer much less 2. This isn't suppose to happen! And one of them got into a price war all by themselves! In the end, I submit both offers to seller and they select offer 1. All is good so far but that was a crazy 24 hours for my first listing. It happened to fast really. But I'm gonna go slap a pending in 24 hours sign on it!!

I still have no idea what I'm doing but the title company better cover my ass now!!

Congratulations

What great word of mouth advertising that is going to get you.

"He listed our house and within a day we received 2 offers including one that was for more then we asked. He really did a great job for us" Whatever you do don't let them know it was dumb luck.

#8 MoeAlfa

MoeAlfa

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,322 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:11 AM

Excellent, Dave!

We are getting ready to put our house in the market in April. Do those plastic St. Joseph statues work?

#9 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,361 posts
  • Interests:SA is DEAD

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:16 AM

I feel like I should go get my license. August I spent three weeks prepping and putting a family house on the market in Ann Arbor Mich. Actually found a very skilled dry wall guy through SA contacts! I spent a year prior watching the market in this one very compact area and when the agent sat down to set up the paperwork and set the price she disagreed very much so with the price I told her the house would sell for. She was thinking 30K less. Side note I had picked up on this particular area that RE Agents were under valuing and pricing homes to get fast sales because of how few homes were selling for the past few years - it was more about a quick paycheck than a proper list price. I told her this is our list price either go with us on it or we find an agent that will. She agreed. We had two offers at ASK two days after listing it and a third offer over ASK by Day three.

It really doesn't take rocket science to sort out a value on a home even with very limited comps.

Prior to that we bought a home in 09 offered 26% below ask which had not changed for 4 months - seller accepted it and the appraisal was $1500 from the sale price! Since then we have refinanced four times at our loan agents request running the numbers she was right there was a very good reason to refi. In all 4 cases the appraisal has very gradually gone up some since 09 but is no where close to what the original sellers ask price was. LOL

Currently selling another family home in Socal I left the pricing up to the Agent and the elder family member. Price was WAY OFF THE CHARTS! And they listed it two weeks before Christmas? I nearly shot the agent. We are finally in contract 40grand lower than the original ask price and about dead on with what I had comp numbers for. LOL

#10 Icedtea

Icedtea

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,205 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:27 AM

Congrats Dave !

Now go and spend the commission on a huge motha fuckin a sail for your $40 Craigslist shitter....

#11 Windward

Windward

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,294 posts
  • Interests:Building and managing websites using the Umbraco CMS

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:36 AM

I'm waiting for the funny youtube video that DaveK posts.

Something like the Gross point blank movie where the guy has to help a couple buying a house with a 'decision making disorder"

Good job Dave!

#12 El Mariachi

El Mariachi

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,193 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:40 AM

I'm waiting for the funny youtube video that DaveK posts.

Something like the Gross point blank movie where the guy has to help a couple buying a house with a 'decision making disorder"

Good job Dave!

His sailing videos suck......but his cooking vids rock...... :lol:

#13 plchacker

plchacker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:42 AM

congrats!!

#14 Recidivist

Recidivist

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,496 posts
  • Interests:sailing, building sailing boats, cruising, racing, day sailing.

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:48 AM

So, different countries, different processes.

You list the property and then you let other agents show it to their buyers and then you and the selling agent share the comm. ? Is that how it works ?

I'm interested also, but I think in the states it's common to use buyer's agents. I think that's who Dave is talking about. Prospective purchasers use an agent to find homes that are in their interst and price ranges, they view the property and then the buyer's agent offers and negotiates with the "traditional" seller's agent.

Is that it Dave?

#15 4knotSB

4knotSB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,748 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:48 AM

Excellent, Dave!

We are getting ready to put our house in the market in April. Do those plastic St. Joseph statues work?

They have to be genuine plaster, blessed with holy water, and buried at least 1 foot deep.

#16 MoeAlfa

MoeAlfa

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,322 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:52 AM

Excellent, Dave!

They have to be genuine plaster, blessed with holy water, and buried at least 1 foot deep.

So, like, can you get rid of your neighbors if you do it in their yard?

#17 4knotSB

4knotSB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,748 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:57 AM

Excellent, Dave!

I'm shocked, but yes, apparently so.
the question
I see third on the page is "Catholic Supply".

#18 I'moutahere

I'moutahere

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,810 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:02 AM

I have to ask, if it sold so easily & quickly, could the asking price have been too low?

#19 El Mariachi

El Mariachi

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,193 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:04 AM

I have to ask, if it sold so easily & quickly, could the asking price have been too low?

Not when a bidding war occurs. We started our sales price at $485k....then got nine counter offers above that. Two days later we sold for five and a quarter.....

#20 water ratz

water ratz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts
  • Interests:Sailing...

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:08 AM

Congrats on your first "sail"! Posted Image Don't forget to consult with an accountant as uncle (bleed you dry) same is going to want his cut.

#21 chinabald

chinabald

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,530 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:52 AM

Excellent, Dave!

There is a different religious symbol that works for that.

A cross, on fire.

#22 DaveK

DaveK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,773 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:09 AM

Not when a bidding war occurs. We started our sales price at $485k....then got nine counter offers above that. Two days later we sold for five and a quarter.....

No... this wasn't easy. CMA said 155 and I talked her up to 159,900. El lives in Marachi pricing!

It's not a done deal yet but thanks ..... just crazy for first listing.

http://www.teamprice...3-clover-ridge/

#23 puffyjman

puffyjman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,675 posts
  • Interests:j-boats, growing jalapenos and other horticultural experiments, chocolate labs,(R.I.P. Dexter my friend) bitching and complaining

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:15 AM

Artist, engineer, husband, father, Weta owner and now real estate mogul. Is there nothing you can't do? Let me guess... you don't often drink beer but when you do its Dos Equis right?
My Hero! :P

#24 On the Hard

On the Hard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,146 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:01 AM

No... this wasn't easy. CMA said 155 and I talked her up to 159,900. El lives in Marachi pricing!

It's not a done deal yet but thanks ..... just crazy for first listing.

http://www.teamprice...3-clover-ridge/

Nice looking house for not a lot of money. Way to go.

#25 RedTuna

RedTuna

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 968 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:58 AM

Outstanding, Dave. I know it's been a long time coming so it's gotta feel really good. Congrats!

#26 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,905 posts
  • Interests:boats, cars, girls....

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:34 PM

Congrats on your first "sail"! Posted Image Don't forget to consult with an accountant as uncle (bleed you dry) same is going to want his cut.

I would advise to get a separate checking account and credit card for business income and expenses. Easire tax prep. Might be worth having an LLC for liability.

Congrats!

#27 Mojo Risin

Mojo Risin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,917 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:46 PM

Nice job Dave! Looks like you got the seller a very good price.

Editorial comment to other posters - Cedar Park is not near as pricey as other parts of the country. $110/ft for that size and quality of finish is a great seller's price for that area.

#28 DaveK

DaveK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,773 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:13 PM

Editorial comment to other posters - Cedar Park is not near as pricey as other parts of the country. $110/ft for that size and quality of finish is a great seller's price for that area.

Thanks for the nice comments.... I just hope the buyer doesn't walk during the option period. They actually had it inspected this morning so they are moving along.

And Mojo, most homes in this part of Austin go for around $90/sqft and I don't like to price homes that way but the lot sizes in this case are all the same, .13 acres. This house however, got an executed contract for $112/sqft.

#29 Mojo Risin

Mojo Risin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,917 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:41 PM

Thanks for the nice comments.... I just hope the buyer doesn't walk during the option period. They actually had it inspected this morning so they are moving along.

And Mojo, most homes in this part of Austin go for around $90/sqft and I don't like to price homes that way but the lot sizes in this case are all the same, .13 acres. This house however, got an executed contract for $112/sqft.

That's similar to here for that type of house. That's also why I commented that you got your client a great selling price. Job well done!

#30 DaveK

DaveK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,773 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 12:00 AM

That's similar to here for that type of house. That's also why I commented that you got your client a great selling price. Job well done!

Well.... I really got lucky! The owners cleaned, prepped, painted and fixed everything. That's what sold the house.

#31 Mojo Risin

Mojo Risin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,917 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 12:54 AM

Now get out there and find them a new house - commissions both ways.

You know what happens when you hire a broker?

They make you broker!

:lol:

#32 El Mariachi

El Mariachi

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,193 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:18 AM

Now get out there and find them a new house - commissions both ways.

You know what happens when you hire a broker?

They make you broker!

:lol:

Hey, be respectful & bow to your knees----Dave is now one of the 3 Percenters......

#33 jkdubs808

jkdubs808

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,761 posts
  • Interests:Sportboats and offshore supply vessels......and bow girls.

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:51 AM

Nice job, Dave. I often think about selling RE if for some reason this whole merchant marine officer thing falls through someday. I think I'd be pretty decent at it.

But then again, my brother owns his own insurance company and wants to do marine insurance down the road, so maybe I'll do that lol.

Either way congrats dude!

#34 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,905 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 12:40 PM

Well.... I really got lucky! The owners cleaned, prepped, painted and fixed everything. That's what sold the house.

Biggest mistake Sellers make is refusing to paint and refinish wood floors and replace worn carpeting. You had a smart seller.

#35 Crump's Brother

Crump's Brother

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 03:26 PM

Way to go DaveK! You should get in the used car business too!

KB

#36 Bill E Goat

Bill E Goat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 08:19 AM

Wow I can't believe you can buy a house for $163K

#37 Evo

Evo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,961 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:11 AM

you want to see incredible....get yourself a recent copy of Chesapeake Bay magazine

#38 DaveK

DaveK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,773 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 02:36 PM

What does the average middle class house cost in Sydney? Prices do vary a bit around here. You couldn't touch a 1 bed condo in downtown Austin for under 250k. Crumps brother who post on here is looking in old town Georgetown and those homes start at 350k, 150/sqft, and some are in shitty shape built in early 1900s. But Texas real estate is affordable compared to California or north east area's like Boston. All have been hit really hard by the housing crunch and even our housing values are what they were in 2004 currently.

#39 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,905 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 02:56 PM

I'm told you can get one for 20k in Detroit? Condos two blocks from South Beach Miami were 50k a couple years ago. Location, location, location!

#40 DaveK

DaveK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,773 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 04:06 PM

I also meant to mention that I partner with an internet lead company for buyer leads. This means they give me warm leads for people looking and if we close on a house, I give the company 30% of my money. But there is a couple of rules, I have to call client within 4 hours of being text with lead AND I cannot refuse to work with client based on things like price. So yesterday I got one of those leads and today I get to go show a $36k house in Florence, TX. Personally, I don't care and it'll be interesting.

Here's the house.

http://www.trulia.co...orence-TX-76527

#41 El Mariachi

El Mariachi

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,193 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 04:40 PM

I also meant to mention that I partner with an internet lead company for buyer leads. This means they give me warm leads for people looking and if we close on a house, I give the company 30% of my money. But there is a couple of rules, I have to call client within 4 hours of being text with lead AND I cannot refuse to work with client based on things like price. So yesterday I got one of those leads and today I get to go show a $36k house in Florence, TX. Personally, I don't care and it'll be interesting.

Here's the house.

Jeezis, that house is going for about what a commission is on the sale of your average South Bay-within-a-mile-of-the-beach-home is here in Hell-A.....

#42 DaveK

DaveK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,773 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 05:04 PM

Here's the house.

Jeezis, that house is going for about what a commission is on the sale of your average South Bay-within-a-mile-of-the-beach-home is here in Hell-A.....

And to think I could just get a nice dinner from what my commission would be. :(

#43 El Mariachi

El Mariachi

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,193 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 05:07 PM

Here's the house.

And to think I could just get a nice dinner from what my commission would be. :(

Don't feel bad----the first home I sold in Cabo went for $18,500 USD. Think I ended up with just enough commission money for six tacos, a case of Pacifico and two bars of wax.....

#44 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,905 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 05:11 PM

Here's the house.

Just closed on my cheapest ever sale. Double wide trailer in a park for 48k. Commish to me should be around 700; just a tad more than I paid for the Mini 14 in SS with scope!!:lol:

A far cry from selling Katherine Hepburns place for 6 mill some years back.....

#45 El Mariachi

El Mariachi

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,193 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 05:14 PM

Here's the house.

Just did my cheapest ever sale. Double trailer in a park for 48k. Commish to me should be around 700; just a tad more than I paid for the Mini 14 in SS with scope!!:lol:

Didja ever take a magnet to that barrel & receiver? You might be in for a bit of surprise...... :lol:

#46 Mojo Risin

Mojo Risin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,917 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 06:46 PM

Here's the house.

Just LUV!!! the kitchen!!!

#47 MoeAlfa

MoeAlfa

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,322 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:49 PM

Here's the house.

That's about what we expect to get for 900K in NW DC when we move.

#48 Mojo Risin

Mojo Risin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,917 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:44 AM

Here's the house.

Really?

I guess we're spoiled. $900K in some of the burbs outside Dallas or Fort Worth will get you about 6-7,000 sq. ft. fully decked out.

#49 MoeAlfa

MoeAlfa

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,322 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:54 AM

Here's the house.

Really?

I guess we're spoiled. $900K in some of the burbs outside Dallas or Fort Worth will get you about 6-7,000 sq. ft. fully decked out.

Slight exaggeration, but we're downsizing to the 2000 sq. ft. range.

#50 Crump's Brother

Crump's Brother

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:14 AM

Here's the house.

Looks just like the one you showed Mrs Crumps and I last week! Glad to see it's beginning to happen for ya, just remember in sales, "when you're green your gold"

KB

#51 DaveK

DaveK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,773 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:17 AM

My client today upgraded to 55-65k range. It's fun to watch their expression when I opened that 36k house. We looked at a 40k house that had original early 1900's wood floors with 12' ceilings that was kinda cool. Were talking 60 miles NW outside of Austin in the Hill country. I've never showed homes out there. I wish I could live in the boonies but it's a crazy place.

#52 On the Hard

On the Hard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,146 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:10 PM

so did your buyers qualify? Home inspection go OK> (i'd imagine so, looks like a nice home.)

On the lead thing, I'd keep track of your time and mileage in working these leads. You might find it's just not worth it, particularly after giving up 30% of the commish. By the way, I've never sold a home in my life, so I really don't know what the Hell i'm talking about.

#53 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,905 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:45 PM

We get solicited all the time from companies trolling the net that want to sell us leads. NO way!! Happy to pay referral fee after closing; but not paying for bogus leads.

#54 DaveK

DaveK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,773 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 05:17 PM

so did your buyers qualify? Home inspection go OK> (i'd imagine so, looks like a nice home.)

On the lead thing, I'd keep track of your time and mileage in working these leads. You might find it's just not worth it, particularly after giving up 30% of the commish. By the way, I've never sold a home in my life, so I really don't know what the Hell i'm talking about.

I'm actually going through HELL right now with this. My seller is being very EXTREMLY unreasonable about repairs to the roof where tree branches rubbed on shingles. Roof is only 3 years old and my roofer gave quote to replace back section for $1000. He got his roofer to give an estimate that would only replace a few shingles. Buyer said fine but if my inspector doesn't like it, we walk. Seller is retired, has nothing better to do and could give a rats ass if they do walk. It all about his control. He doesn't care that we would still be $2k over list or that our price per sqft is out of this world, he has to show what a tough guy he is at negotiating. I extended the option period to clarify with inspector what the scope of repairs are needed. Inspector is on a fuking a cruise ship right now!!

#55 Mojo Risin

Mojo Risin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,917 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 05:35 PM

I'm actually going through HELL right now with this. My seller is being very EXTREMLY unreasonable about repairs to the roof where tree branches rubbed on shingles. Roof is only 3 years old and my roofer gave quote to replace back section for $1000. He got his roofer to give an estimate that would only replace a few shingles. Buyer said fine but if my inspector doesn't like it, we walk. Seller is retired, has nothing better to do and could give a rats ass if they do walk. It all about his control. He doesn't care that we would still be $2k over list or that our price per sqft is out of this world, he has to show what a tough guy he is at negotiating. I extended the option period to clarify with inspector what the scope of repairs are needed. Inspector is on a fuking a cruise ship right now!!

Must learn to manage expectations! Tell sellers before the thing is listed that they can expect anywhere from $1K to $5K of repairs after the inspector gets done writing it up. Then, when it comes in at $1K or less, you look like a hero. Condition them from the start to expect to pay some money for repairs.

#56 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,202 posts
  • Location:I'm in Sunny..-. Warm..& ..Dry San Diego . and your not :-)
  • Interests:Prime + 1 3/4

COUGARS COUGARS & More COUGARS

Posted 29 February 2012 - 05:41 PM

think of it like you are starting off as a charter captain in a new area full of Local Longtime Charter Captins

your chance of being handed a "Sweet Deal" are like .000%

you are going to be pointed in the direction no one else wants to go [/read no one wants to go but if you happen to close something they get a cut]

by the time you figure it all out you will be long gone or have carved a nitch

& shall look to those in your present position to unload the deadbeat, unrealistic & un-qualified

yer a nOOb and have much to learn

Like - the term "Sold a House"

to a nOOb = opened escrow / day one till day of closing

after losing your first 10 "Sold Houses"

"Sold a House" shall only be considered after funding and the giving of keys to the New Actual Owner and you have received your commission check

of note Realtor's Do Not understand the lending market & Loan officers Do Not understand the Housing market

Most Unfortunately the interaction of both drives the market = why we are where we are at this point Posted Image

#57 On the Hard

On the Hard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,146 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 07:47 PM

Anything come from this contract? I hope you've gotten it closed, with somebody if not the original buyer. Any more deals come up? You can sell mine if you can get the same market premium on my decidedly unpremium casa....

#58 DaveK

DaveK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,773 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:19 PM

Anything come from this contract? I hope you've gotten it closed, with somebody if not the original buyer. Any more deals come up? You can sell mine if you can get the same market premium on my decidedly unpremium casa....

Ueah... that one finally closed. Thank god. I also closed on my neighbors house http://www.zillow.co.../29562516_zpid/ on Monday. I also have an 18 acre ranch house that closes June 1. You can see that one http://www.realtor.c...1722?source=web HERE.

It's really become a decidely sellers market here and everything is selling at full price on what I've dealt with. At least we got the tractor with 18 acres but that was a pretty good deal anyways.

I don't have anything else but a few scattered buyers. I need to market myself more though.

#59 dreaded

dreaded

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:24 PM

. I also have an 18 acre ranch house ...

that's a huge house..

#60 DaveK

DaveK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,773 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:53 PM

It's not incredibly big but it's nice. Was really well built by a home builder who lived there. All the exterior walls are really thick and it stays cool inside. Lot's of wild life out there. The turkeys were coming to their backyard to sleep for the evening.

#61 President Eisenhowler

President Eisenhowler

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,477 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:12 PM

Many people ask that very question. The answer is almost always, "no."

The buyers have been circling around; they've looked at everything on the market, they know what the prices are and what they are supposed to be, so that when a properly priced house comes on the market it usually sells quickly.

#62 bljones

bljones

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:54 PM

It's not incredibly big but it's nice. Was really well built by a home builder who lived there. All the exterior walls are really thick and it stays cool inside. Lot's of wild life out there. The turkeys were coming to their backyard to sleep for the evening.

Vrrrooowwwwmmmm! Right over the treeline.

#63 DaveK

DaveK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,773 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 11:15 PM

It's also a realtors job to price a house reasonable considering the market and what the owner expects. So most are. I somehow ended up with this Pakistani couple that have drug me all over town for a couple of months now. I just wish they really owned a gas station. Anyways, they are older, have an extended family here and want either a rental property or for them. In any case, they want a rock bottom deal that looks brand new built 2004 or newer at 2200 sqft for $150k. But there are a ton of homes in suburbs around Austin that fit this description for 165-180k. The point here is that this typical not so small house built newer varies little in price < 10% and I've looked at them day after day. I lost my appeal for any of it very quickly. Those fking micro lots where you can touch 12 of your neighbors suck. I'd rather live in a apartment than walk out into my micro backyard and have 30 dogs barking at me. But that's Austin suburbs and where people live. This couple will end up buying a short sell or a HUD and even so I mentioned it's a sellers market, theirs still lots of under foreclosed shit out there and I need to learn how to deal with it. So at least these people will give me that oppertunity. Just wish they owned a gas station :)

#64 Bowgirl

Bowgirl

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,481 posts
  • Interests:Heineken HPDO, Tempest sailing, tending orchids

Posted 25 May 2012 - 01:07 AM

Go The You!......

That's about the best response, right there.

And a "F*g A!" for good measure! :)

#65 On the Hard

On the Hard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,146 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 06:18 PM

Well good for you! A lot of people have more trouble getting off the mark in that business and you've made a strong start. I wish you continued success. (you might want to look again at the comment about an 18 acre ranch house being really big. I think there's a joke in there somewhere)

#66 DaveK

DaveK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,773 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 11:17 PM

I got another one this weekend. I represented the buyer for this one and we executed today. Really really clean home but the laminate wood flooring and the tile kinda boring. The amazing thing is the 80 yo man who bought it!! He looks and acts likes my age and is very understanding unlike most crotchety old farts!!

http://www.trulia.co...r-Park-TX-78613

#67 bmiller

bmiller

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 11:51 PM

Curious, what was the sale price? It was listed at 296, did you save him much money?

Eit to add:

Holy taxman 5815 in taxes? Please tell that includes hookers.

#68 dreaded

dreaded

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 11:58 PM

Curious, what was the sale price? It was listed at 296, did you save him much money?

Eit to add:

fuck, that's cheap for property taxes..

#69 Innocent Bystander

Innocent Bystander

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,785 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 12:01 AM

Eit to add:

That because you don't have state income taxes. It's about twice the rate of property taxes here.

#70 DaveK

DaveK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,773 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 12:31 AM

Eit to add:

Texas isn't a great retirement state because of that but a whole lot of people still move here even so, including this person. I even told him about that, and that traffic sucks and it's hot and so on. And then he, 80 yo man who lived in his house for the past 40 years, hopped in his car and drove out here from gods country (Bankrupt) San Diego and bought a house in 2 days. Just amazed me though!

I'll say that it sold less than that but not saying exactly as of now.

#71 MoeAlfa

MoeAlfa

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,322 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 12:37 AM

Just signed the contract to buy a little house in town, on Friday. We agreed to the sellers' counter-offer and the number was actually written on the contract, but somehow, after the agents got done with their secret negotiations and, evidently, putting the arm to the sellers on our behalf, the price was 10,000 lower. What a strange business.

#72 DaveK

DaveK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,773 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 01:22 AM

Just signed the contract to buy a little house in town, on Friday. We agreed to the sellers' counter-offer and the number was actually written on the contract, but somehow, after the agents got done with their secret negotiations and, evidently, putting the arm to the sellers on our behalf, the price was 10,000 lower. What a strange business.

That's fuked up Moe! Communication didn't happen!!!!

#73 MoeAlfa

MoeAlfa

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,322 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 01:46 AM

Fortunately, we'll never know what happened. My wife thinks it was all innocent.

We stumbled on some much more overtly crooked stuff in the course of this search, too, and were able to steer clear with the help of this agent. I didn't appreciate the fact going in, but it could have cost us quite a bit extra to buy a house in this market without top notch, insider, representation.

#74 Innocent Bystander

Innocent Bystander

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,785 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 02:05 AM

Fortunately, we'll never know what happened. My wife thinks it was all innocent.

We stumbled on some much more overtly crooked stuff in the course of this search, too, and were able to steer clear with the help of this agent. I didn't appreciate the fact going in, but it could have cost us quite a bit extra to buy a house in this market without top notch, insider, representation.

Where did you buy,Moe?

#75 bmiller

bmiller

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 02:13 AM

Eit to add:

That because you don't have state income taxes. It's about twice the rate of property taxes here.

Taxes on my place in Chaffee county CO are right at 1,200. Property is on 2 acres and valued around 300.

And the weather doesn't suck.

#76 MoeAlfa

MoeAlfa

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,322 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 12:07 PM

Where did you buy,Moe?

Bethesda, within walking distance of J's office in Friendship Heights.

#77 Innocent Bystander

Innocent Bystander

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,785 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 12:18 PM

Where did you buy,Moe?

Bethesda, within walking distance of J's office in Friendship Heights.

Nice. Great place.

#78 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,436 posts
  • Interests:~~/)/)~~

Posted 16 July 2012 - 02:29 PM

It doesn't seem all that innocent to me, but I was just a lowly used boat salesman. I was supposed to present the offer I was given in written form. A counter offer was supposed to be initialed and presented back to the original party in the same form. Repeat as needed.

Working on commission, it never occurred to me to work on a lower price once a deal was agreed. I tended to start working on a closing. Odd behavior. I can't imagine why they would want to do that.

Oh well, enjoy and try not to scale up the new terlit. ;)

#79 DaveK

DaveK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,773 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:40 PM

Got another one today... finally.

http://www.zillow.co.../29374944_zpid/

Posted Image

#80 Nacradriver

Nacradriver

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,453 posts
  • Interests:Fast things

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:14 PM

Got another one today... finally.

http://www.zillow.co.../29374944_zpid/

Posted Image

Congrats!

#81 DaveK

DaveK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,773 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:29 PM

Thanks Nacra

#82 chinabald

chinabald

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,530 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:47 PM

I have my first one pending right now. Need to sweat it out until it closes.

Around here we have a lot of people who are qualified and looking for homes, but not enough homes on the market. The demand is pushing prices up, but its frustrating at times. A house goes on the market and there are 10 showings the first day. I had a guy who wanted to look at a house the day it was listed, they already had accepted an offer, within 3 hours of the house hitting the market, they had a full price cash offer and it was off the market.

#83 DaveK

DaveK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,773 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:53 PM

Around here we have a lot of people who are qualified and looking for homes, but not enough homes on the market. The demand is pushing prices up, but its frustrating at times. A house goes on the market and there are 10 showings the first day. I had a guy who wanted to look at a house the day it was listed, they already had accepted an offer, within 3 hours of the house hitting the market, they had a full price cash offer and it was off the market.

whoa! I thought you were in the Detroit area?? Thats awesome!

#84 RedTuna

RedTuna

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 968 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:55 PM

Cool beans, Dave. Nice way to close out the year.

#85 jerseyguy

jerseyguy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:20 AM

Don't know where you are, but my younger son's best friend was recently transferred to Raleigh, NC. Pretty much the same thing. Look at a house, 2 days later an 'accepted' offer.He finally bought a place that he looked at, made the offer on the spot and told his wife about it later

#86 DaveK

DaveK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,773 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:54 AM

The seller of my house is moving to NC..... sounds like the market is good nationwide.

#87 chinabald

chinabald

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,530 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:36 AM

i am in the Detroit area. I haven't shown a house in Detroit I work mostly north of the city

#88 DaveK

DaveK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,773 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:02 AM

i am in the Detroit area. I haven't shown a house in Detroit I work mostly north of the city

Ok... um, didn't know y'all were doing so well. :ph34r:

Once the capital of the U.S. auto industry, which almost single-handedly helped to create the American middle-class, Detroit has been crippled by the closing of factories, falling home prices, the exodus of tens of thousands of residents, rampant violent crime and massive poverty.

#89 chinabald

chinabald

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,530 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:05 PM

Detroit proper is still in the crapper but things are getting better in other places. In many cases people who were working went into bunker mode and saved money in case. Now they have a bundle of cash and low interest rates so they are buying. Just not enough inventory

#90 Crump's Brother

Crump's Brother

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:02 AM

I spend Christ-masses and parts of the summer in New Baltimore with in-lawz, seems good up there, but I aint moving north. Is there sailing on Lake St Claire in summers?

Oh good luck Dave wid yo sale bro!!! I'll take it but don't run my credit....

KB

#91 DaveK

DaveK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,773 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:16 AM

Your wifes credit works for me KB!!

I'll be by to list your house this week!

#92 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,948 posts
  • Interests:margaritas, hippie chicks, durable flying discs for retriever dog play

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:52 AM

Posted Image

#93 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,905 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:48 PM

The seller of my house is moving to NC..... sounds like the market is good nationwide.

Still in the crapper in SE CT. Hopefully next year we can sell our family home of 27 years on the water and downsize into something affordable. Then, I will happily quit the business for good. It was okay ten years ago when we had a dozen agents and two offices. But the Bush policies that ruined the economy and Wall Street banksers killed us......

#94 derelicte

derelicte

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:40 PM

Posted Image

is massachusetts, too.

nice work, gouv.

#95 DaveK

DaveK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,773 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:15 PM

Posted Image

is massachusetts, too.

nice work, gouv.

lol..... slight problem with license plate

#96 Mojo Risin

Mojo Risin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,917 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:42 PM

Posted Image

is massachusetts, too.

nice work, gouv.

lol..... slight problem with license plate

Austin's not so green these days, either.

#97 derelicte

derelicte

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:08 PM

Austin's not so green these days, either.

neither is mass this time of year.

#98 DaveK

DaveK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,773 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 08:56 PM

Yay... another one

http://www.movoto.co...404_7490556.htm

#99 chinabald

chinabald

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,530 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 09:49 PM

No longer on the site you posted

Congrats on the sale.

#100 R Booze

R Booze

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,151 posts
  • Interests:Postponing my funeral 'til tomorrow....

Posted 16 August 2013 - 03:30 AM

Yay... another one

Go The You!...... :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users