#1 water ratz

water ratz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts
  • Interests:Sailing...

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:05 AM

Looking to purchase a new vacuum at a reasonable price. Anybody have any recommendations for a decent inexpensive vacuum that will have the capacity to handle pet hair?

#2 bmiller

bmiller

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,875 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:08 AM

They all suck.

#3 water ratz

water ratz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:09 AM

They all suck.

LOL, But I want the one that "sucks" the most!

#4 puffyjman

puffyjman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,632 posts
  • Interests:j-boats, growing jalapenos and other horticultural experiments, chocolate labs,(R.I.P. Dexter my friend) bitching and complaining

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:14 AM

We use a Dyson here for the 2 labs but Dysons are rather expensive.

#5 Snaggletooth

Snaggletooth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,579 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:15 AM

Caftsman Vacume
:)

#6 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,319 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:17 AM

A Roomba at 220V is the best at shedding pets.

#7 water ratz

water ratz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:18 AM

Yeah, Dyson has been considered, but it is a little out of my budget. The canine in question is a lab as well. I think she sheds an entire coat of fur every week!

Snaggie, that made me laugh. When I was growing up we had three labs. Our vacuum cleaner broke (we went through one ever couple of years), and before we could replace it we were using my Dad's shop vac!

#8 Shaggy

Shaggy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,614 posts
  • Interests:This is SA, you figure it out.......

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:27 AM

Dyson Animal, well worth the price, we have had ours 7 yrs and counting with 2 dogs and shagg carpets...... Get it at Kohls with one of those 25% off thingies when they come in the mail and it brings it to manageable levels. Get the line of credit and you get another 15%..... Much better than buying one every yr or so IMHO.......

#9 silent bob

silent bob

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,440 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:48 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

#10 Recidivist

Recidivist

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,485 posts
  • Interests:sailing, building sailing boats, cruising, racing, day sailing.

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:08 AM

F*cking VACUUM CLEANERS !! What's happened to this place ???:angry:

(Sorry ratz - someoone had to say it :P )

#11 Life Buoy 15

Life Buoy 15

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,240 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:38 AM

Dead right mate.

Let me help get this thread back on track - http://nude-cleaners.co.uk/

This is not a prostitution service - no sexual services are offered whatsoever. This is a display service for voyeurs.

Nude cleaners are just that - nude when pretending to do the work. They are usually young women (sometimes couples), generally under 25 year of age, for women or men to hire.

They are called cleaners but that is to supply a 'reason' for them to be there and doing something, even rather badly, rather than just standing there naked for you to look at for one or two hours. She can stretch, and bend over and sit cross-legged on the floor while you watch (very closely if you like) - and she can role play a little. She can be photographed or filmed for an extra fee.

Posted Image

#12 highndry

highndry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts
  • Interests:inshore / offshore, cruising, travel, retirement

Posted 24 February 2012 - 06:36 AM

ever been to a chinese restaurant ?

the food always is the same as the menu pictures / fake food in the front window ?

#13 egon

egon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  • Interests:Recursion, acronyms, and recursive acronyms.

Posted 24 February 2012 - 06:50 AM

Posted Image

...she's gone from suck to blow!

#14 Figment

Figment

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:35 PM

Dyson Animal, well worth the price, we have had ours 7 yrs and counting with 2 dogs and shagg carpets...... Get it at Kohls with one of those 25% off thingies when they come in the mail and it brings it to manageable levels. Get the line of credit and you get another 15%..... Much better than buying one every yr or so IMHO.......

+1 They're pricey but they're worth it.
Read the fine print on the coupons before you buy, big-ticket items like Dysons are often excluded.

#15 The Shadow

The Shadow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:44 PM

First weapon of choice against sheding pets...................

wood chipper.

#16 TPG

TPG

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,757 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:52 PM

First weapon of choice against sheding pets...................

wood chipper.

Fire also works.
(I'm gonna get hit)

#17 tommays

tommays

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:08 PM

Dyson for sure LOOK around as there dumping some of the older models at great prices

#18 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,839 posts
  • Interests:boats, cars, girls....

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:12 PM

We got a Hoover "wind tunnel" bagless that works pretty good with the cat hair. Around 50 bucks at Walmart. Oreck is the worst, and they cost a fortune to pay for all the national advertising they do. Had the Kirby salesman over for free demo. Told him I would pay the full asking price of $1,400.00 so long as he would come round once a week and drive it around the whole house!!:lol:

#19 Snaggletooth

Snaggletooth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,579 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:14 PM

Fire also works.
(I'm gonna get hit)

Foure the haire or ist sorse??

#20 TPG

TPG

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,757 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:05 PM

Fire also works.
(I'm gonna get hit)

Foure the haire or ist sorse??

The hair.... yeah....

#21 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,839 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:08 PM

Caramel, a Belgian Forest Cat, sheds with the best of them. Missus Backstay says she could knit a new cat once a week with the hair she swiffers off the wood floors!:lol:

Posted Image

#22 dudewood

dudewood

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:18 PM

Dyson DC41. Not inexpensive. I never thought I would appreciate the cost, but it was well worth it. The best.

#23 Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,645 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:20 PM

This certainly is not what I expected when opening a thread about vacuum cleaners on a Friday morning....

#24 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,839 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:37 PM

This certainly is not what I expected when opening a thread about vacuum cleaners on a Friday morning....

I did post a pic of my pussy!!:lol:

#25 hard aground

hard aground

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,318 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:26 PM

Where did Derek Grebe end up? He had some opinions on Dyson product.

#26 The Shadow

The Shadow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:18 PM

I miss Grebe. Great sense of humor. This place is less without him.

#27 dreaded

dreaded

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,571 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 06:27 PM

Bissel Cleanview Helix... three stage filtering w/ hepa.. can be had for less than $100... try Wallyworld... mostly plastic, not too noisy..

My link

Posted Image

#28 Innocent Bystander

Innocent Bystander

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,645 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:08 PM

Read the fine print on the coupons before you buy, big-ticket items like Dysons are often excluded.

+2. Bought one when the last pos vac died and I think it collected 1/2 of a cat first pass. 6 years old and still sucks well.

#29 austin1972

austin1972

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,844 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:14 PM

+2. Bought one when the last pos vac died and I think it collected 1/2 of a cat first pass. 6 years old and still sucks well.

Yeah, unfortunately it's true. When our last Dyson finally died we had a professional crew come clean the house and asked them what they're recommend.
They said get a Bissel Animal. Cheap, less kickback than a Dyson etc etc.

4 months killed it.
Bought the new purple Dyson. Spent more time emptying the cannister than vacuuming. The Bissel was missing that much crap.
The amount of dander it pulled up was pretty revolting.

#30 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,317 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 11:35 PM

Yeah, unfortunately it's true. When our last Dyson finally died we had a professional crew come clean the house and asked them what they're recommend.

4 months killed it.
Bought the new purple Dyson. Spent more time emptying the cannister than vacuuming. The Bissel was missing that much crap.

Another vote for the Dyson animal. We also got ours on sale and it's incredible. 3 cats in the household means extreme levels of shedding all over furnature, carpets, everything. Ever since picking it up our neighbors, who are allergic to cats, have noted that they no longer have a reaction to the dander in our household.

4 years later and it's still going as strong as the day we bought it. The suction is truly unreal.

Also the Dyson addressed the little things that you didn't know you hated about normal vacuums. The cord is 2-3 times longer than normal, The handle is incredibly comfortable to use, etc. Engineered beautifully and just smart to use.

#31 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,839 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 11:44 PM

4 months killed it.

Another vote for the Dyson animal. We also got ours on sale and it's incredible. 3 cats in the household means extreme levels of shedding all over furnature, carpets, everything. Ever since picking it up our neighbors, who are allergic to cats, have noted that they no longer have a reaction to the dander in our household.

4 years later and it's still going as strong as the day we bought it. The suction is truly unreal.

Also the Dyson addressed the little things that you didn't know you hated about normal vacuums. The cord is 2-3 times longer than normal, The handle is incredibly comfortable to use, etc. Engineered beautifully and just smart to use.

But, can it suck a golf ball through a garden hose, Weasley???:lol: :lol:

#32 Kiwi

Kiwi

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 11:50 PM

4 months killed it.

Dyson Animal again. Three dogs, two cats, wife and daughter both ride horses so come home with saddle pads, breeches etc covered in horse hair. The first time we went through the house with the Dyson it was absolutely unbelievable how much hair and dust it picked up. Highly recommended.

#33 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,317 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 11:58 PM

But, can it suck a golf ball through a garden hose, Weasley???:lol: :lol:

Don't worry Billy, I haven't met anyone who could do that better than you. ;)

#34 Monkey

Monkey

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,372 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 11:59 PM

I'll join in with the others. My lab/ridgeback mix sheds so much I could have built a spare dog by now with all the hair I've had to clean up. Dyson Animal is the way to go.

I've tried the Dyson rollerball thing. It was awful. I was shocked how useless it was compared to the Animal.

#35 dreaded

dreaded

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,571 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:42 AM

4 months killed it.

Best vacuum hands down is a Rainbow.. it has a water tank where everything gets sucked into... you can get various size tanks.. you won't believe how much dirt it picks up... works great with pet hair / dander etc.. multitude of attachments for it.. not cheap though..

#36 riracer

riracer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts
  • Interests:You're on SA and wondering???

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:50 PM

Bissel Cleanview Helix... three stage filtering w/ hepa.. can be had for less than $100... try Wallyworld... mostly plastic, not too noisy..

My link

Posted Image

OK, I'm now afraid. One because I'm reading the thread (yeah WR, I did look as it was yours) and two, because that's the vacuum I have. And I used it myself today for the first time (except Xmas with the tree) in years. I am down to one housekeeping visit a month to free up more cash for the new boat!

#37 water ratz

water ratz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:29 AM

So I guess the Dyson Animal is the one. I've looked into it, and should be able to get a refurbished one for about $350. Not quite sure if that's the route I want to go. May just save the pennies a bit longer and get a new one.

Thanks for all of the very helpful input!Posted Image

#38 Monkey

Monkey

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,372 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 01:00 AM

So I guess the Dyson Animal is the one. I've looked into it, and should be able to get a refurbished one for about $350. Not quite sure if that's the route I want to go. May just save the pennies a bit longer and get a new one.

Thanks for all of the very helpful input!Posted Image

Mine was a refurb. Going on almost three years without any issues.

#39 southportK2

southportK2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 01:28 AM

how well do the dyson/bissle work on hardwood floors? I have a dirtdevil POS that I got for free and all it seems to do is spread all the dirt on the hardwood all over the room rather than sucking it up.

#40 crankcall

crankcall

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:34 AM

we pulled out all the carpets, have two labs, two cats. Its all ceramic and hardwood now. We bought a Dyson. It made us feel bad because we thought we were clean people. Its a fantastic product.

#41 coelacanth2

coelacanth2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fishing, sailing gardening and exposing my son to all of the above

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:00 AM

Had a refurbished Electrolux (cost a hundred bux)for years, handle finally broke past fixing. Replaced it with a Miele tank vac. Paid a
Pretty penny but it is engineered well. I'd look for a refurbed Electrolux or Miele.

#42 dreaded

dreaded

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,571 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:53 PM

Actually you just need to hire a UofFla grad , cause they are the suckiest of the sucking suckers that could ever suck

#43 A_guy_in_the_Chesapeake

A_guy_in_the_Chesapeake

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,488 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:14 PM

Yeah, Dyson has been considered, but it is a little out of my budget. The canine in question is a lab as well. I think she sheds an entire coat of fur every week!

Snaggie, that made me laugh. When I was growing up we had three labs. Our vacuum cleaner broke (we went through one ever couple of years), and before we could replace it we were using my Dad's shop vac!

Get the Dyson - infinitely repairable (I've got 4 kids and two dogs in the house, and haven't NEEDED to in 5 years, but, they've got factory support for parts/service that are equivalent to Harley Davidson), they work, and no expensive bags to mess with.

#44 Figment

Figment

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:36 PM

how well do the dyson/bissle work on hardwood floors? I have a dirtdevil POS that I got for free and all it seems to do is spread all the dirt on the hardwood all over the room rather than sucking it up.

Hoover Floormate with the spinning scrubing brushes.
Go slowly, pretend you're shampooing a carpet.
If you can't dump it directly outdoors, dump the wastewater bin down the toilet, not the sink.

#45 Shibby

Shibby

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:41 PM

Beam central vac

#46 Shaggy

Shaggy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,614 posts
  • Interests:This is SA, you figure it out.......

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:46 PM

It works great on hardwoods. Ripped out the Shagg in most of the house a couple of years ago after the dog died (since have 2 more) so now 80% hardwoods. Thing still sucks like madd and actually gets more than a dry swiffer. You will be amazed at how much it picks up even on hard surfaces. Shopvac level suckage when using the attachments as well..... Tree needles on the mantle had no chance last month..........:lol:

#47 dsquared

dsquared

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:38 PM

FYI, I saw the Dyson dc25 Animal at Costco for $299 FWIW

#48 Rhino 15

Rhino 15

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 05:17 PM

A couple of years back I was looking to buy a new vacuum, and while searching around on the internet I came across a forum for vacuum cleaner geeks. I can't find it any more (probably closed down), but its mere existence was pretty mindblowing.

What I learned from it:

Most vac shop owners and people who work on them think the Dyson is a faddish POS. They point to consumer reports reviews that show that much cheaper vacs do a better job (at that time the best ranked was the Hoover Windtunnel). Also that other vacs in its price range did as good or better of a job and lasted much longer. They also said that the bagless models like the Dyson rely on the HEPA filter much more than bagged models - The HEPA filter plugs quicker, and it's expensive and people don't replace it often enough leading to loss of suction.

A few people had the view that Dyson is a fine vacuum and the vac shop owners didn't like it just because it was sold in big box stores that they couldn't compete with.

Just about everyone agreed that the brushroll is more important than suction (measured in airwatts, not PSI!), or at least that most vacuums suck just fine but that the brushroll differentiates between a great product and an OK one. American houses tend to have thinker pile carpets than commercial buildings or European households, and that vacuums with brushrolls designed for those settings tend to do a poor job in a US house.

Everybody agreed that Rainbows are trash - poor filtration so it ends up putting a lot of the dust and dirt it picks up back into the air. Oreks are OK but way overpriced, and the blower is prone to jamming/clogging. Kirbys are very good, but the sales model is cultish and rips most people off.

#49 dreaded

dreaded

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,571 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:11 PM

Everybody agreed that Rainbows are trash - poor filtration so it ends up putting a lot of the dust and dirt it picks up back into the air.

really, never had my rainbow put out any dust.. ever...

#50 Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,645 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:59 PM

Posted Image

Has to be near the top of the list.

#51 dreaded

dreaded

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,571 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:58 PM

Has to be near the top of the list.

somewhere below

Posted Image

#52 Evo

Evo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,961 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:04 AM

Posted Image

#53 water ratz

water ratz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 12:56 AM

Dyson DC41 ANIMAL... It is an animal! 20% off at Home Depot. I didn't think our old carpet could get this clean. I may start to enjoy vacuuming now!!! :wub:

#54 Shibby

Shibby

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 01:06 AM

http:///uberhumor.co...12/05/1szhX.gif

twice in one year, one hose replacement one repair and six stitches...

#55 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,317 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 01:14 AM

Dyson DC41 ANIMAL... It is an animal! 20% off at Home Depot. I didn't think our old carpet could get this clean. I may start to enjoy vacuuming now!!! :wub:

See! the best...

#56 Cherie320

Cherie320

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • Interests:...

Posted 12 May 2012 - 01:36 AM

Dyson - Price goes down with the refurb. Fry's had them for $199. Have two, because I was convinced they would die on me. They both work well. Easier to dump the dust bin than to drive around trying to find bags. Do not like the tool or cord storage, but then I never have liked those features on any other vacuum either.

#57 water ratz

water ratz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 02:10 AM

Dyson - Price goes down with the refurb. Fry's had them for $199. Have two, because I was convinced they would die on me. They both work well. Easier to dump the dust bin than to drive around trying to find bags. Do not like the tool or cord storage, but then I never have liked those features on any other vacuum either.

I dumped the dust bin on the kitchen floor!!! Wound up getting a new one for 20% off and it's got a 5 year warranty. This makes me happy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users