129 replies to this topic

#1 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,778 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:33 PM

A couple weeks ago I had some major chest pain. Thought for sure I was or was about to have a heart attack. I don't consider myself in poor health, to the contrary though I'm overweight, I do consider myself to be pretty healthy. But from the stuff you read these days, it seems you could be the most fit athlete in the world and suddenly drop dead for 'no reason'.

The pain subsided the next day, but kept recurring though not as intense. Finally decided to have it checked out. Lots of poking and prodding. Finally a stress test proved that my ticker is just fine. Most likely some sort of digestive issue or possibly nerves. In any case, it passed.

But I will tell you the last 2 weeks really had me thinking. After my family, sailing consumes me. All I could think about was not being able to sail any more. After the somewhat good news that I'm not about to keel over, I have a renewed enthusiasm for this passion. And it's not just for sailing. It's for the boats and the people behind them. It's for the friends I've made who share this passion. It's for HTFU, tightening the sheets, and plowing headlong into the foaming main.

Just wanted to get that out there. I know a lot of you place sailing in such high regard. And that's why I like it here.

Attached Files

#2 smackdaddy

smackdaddy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:44 PM

+1 Sonadora. I know exactly what you mean.

I'm glad to hear you're gonna be able to keep enjoying it. Now lay off the brats and mayo.

#3 slap

slap

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,145 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:45 PM

You can't go until you have finished your work on your boat. :D

#4 Amati

Amati

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,660 posts
  • Interests:0 (t) = 0

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:14 PM

Which means you can never die.

#5 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,065 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:17 PM

Take care of yourself Rick.

#6 Jose Carumba

Jose Carumba

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:22 PM

I'm glad to hear things turned out OK Rick. Keep yourself well.

#7 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,778 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:36 PM

This...

You can't go until you have finished your work on your boat. :D

Which means you can never die.

is exactly what I was thinking!

Thanks for the kind words, guys. The biggest problem with stuff like this is easy access to information. My god, everything I read about 'chest pain' pretty much said I needed to get someone over right away to read me my last rites. I honestly think it was just because I had increased my coffee intake over the past couple of months. Gonna cut back to my two cups in the morning that I've had since I was 19.

Getting into the worst part of the year here in MN. But now, more than ever, I'm motivated to get Soņadora ready for splashdown in June. Hoping to have the deck 90% done before the end of this month. Then exterior brightwork and electrical done in March/April. Then April/May interior work and finishing touches. Still seems a long way off, but I'm pretty excited about it.

#8 cap10ed

cap10ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:delete account

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:38 PM

Nothing like a little health scare to help you prioritize life's list. Don't forget those annual check ups!!

#9 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,704 posts
  • Interests:It's Obvious!

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:39 PM

Working your ass off to provide a warm home for your family, and all it's attendant luxuries, a future for your children, and then, finally squeezing in a hobby to preserve your sanity is the source of a huge amount of stress. Life-ending stress.

My friend, make time for "you". Learn to use the word "no". Use your vacation time, and spend some of your money. You can't take any of this shit with you, and I don't support the myth that you have to leave a huge inheritence to your children, beyond college tuition to help them build a good life for themselves. It's definitely a learned skill to be able to not worry, and get upset about everything.

Be well, my friend.

#10 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,778 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:46 PM

Working your ass off to provide a warm home for your family, and all it's attendant luxuries, a future for your children, and then, finally squeezing in a hobby to preserve your sanity is the source of a huge amount of stress. Life-ending stress.

My friend, make time for "you". Learn to use the word "no". Use your vacation time, and spend some of your money. You can't take any of this shit with you, and I don't support the myth that you have to leave a huge inheritence to your children, beyond college tuition to help them build a good life for themselves. It's definitely a learned skill to be able to not worry, and get upset about everything.

Be well, my friend.

definitely on board with that and our kids are well aware of it.

y'know, it's funny. I'm probably one of the most laid back cats you'd ever find. Maybe not 'Shaggy and Scooby' laid back, but pretty relaxed. In fact, when I went in for my stress test, the nurses were concerned because my resting heart rate was pretty low. They were concerned that it was going to take a long time to get my heart up to the point where it was stressed. I ended up with the 'record' for stress tests yesterday - longest duration and highest resistance.

I think the biggest factor has been that I had been skipping sleep a lot and consuming a lot of coffee to compensate. My body just got pissed off and told me enough is enough. This week I've been getting 6-8 hrs of sleep and I feel really good.

#11 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,704 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:01 PM

Be well, my friend.

definitely on board with that and our kids are well aware of it.

y'know, it's funny. I'm probably one of the most laid back cats you'd ever find. Maybe not 'Shaggy and Scooby' laid back, but pretty relaxed. In fact, when I went in for my stress test, the nurses were concerned because my resting heart rate was pretty low. They were concerned that it was going to take a long time to get my heart up to the point where it was stressed. I ended up with the 'record' for stress tests yesterday - longest duration and highest resistance.

I think the biggest factor has been that I had been skipping sleep a lot and consuming a lot of coffee to compensate. My body just got pissed off and told me enough is enough. This week I've been getting 6-8 hrs of sleep and I feel really good.

Glad to hear it. Now maybe you can teach me how to follow my own advice. :rolleyes:

#12 CyberBOB

CyberBOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:00 PM

I know where your coming from Sons. Had a chest pain scare a number of years ago, with shortness of breath, and pain down my left arm. Thought I was a goner. I was in reasonably good shape. During the battery of tests, my doctor asked me how much I jogged every day, as I had an extremely low cholestoral count. Turned out to be a reflux issue that was swelling the valve at the top of my stomach. This was pressing on a nerve that follows some arteries, which gave me symptoms in the same place as a heart attack.

It was an eye opener. If you suspect digestion issues, be sure to cut down on your trigger foods - acidic food, caffeine, fats, alcohol. It may have been the extra coffee you were drinking, which is both acidic and has caffeine. A samll change now can have a big impact later on.

Be sure to take some time to relax as well. Self imposed deadlines are good at getting the work finished, but if you are too wound up by your June deadline, you aren't going to enjoy the boat as much. I'm not saying to get rid of the deadline, just be willing to extend it if something goes pear shaped. And don't be too proud to ask for a little help at times either. You will find that a lot of people will be willing to give you a hand if you just ask.

Good luck!

#13 MisterMoon

MisterMoon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:11 PM

I know what you mean, Sons. I had a cancer scare last summer and while I was laying in the hospital for 6 days, I was pretty PO'ed thinking I still had a lot of stuff to do that I might not be able to. And sailing was a big part of the things still undone.

#14 reis123

reis123

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:15 PM

Had different, but similar event a few years back. Decided to tighten up the diet, exercise like there is no tomorrow, and not think about it. Advice is too easy to give here, and everyone is different, but, I feel terrific, lost weight, and am in the best shape one can be in given age and general wear and tear of the middle aged, so to speak...

#15 Joli

Joli

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:32 PM

Glad you are OK Sons and you had it checked out. I have too many friends that have waited and now live in a diminished capacity. Don't fuck around if you are not feeling well, get it checked.

Regarding life philosophies. We own Joli because Polly and I enjoy sailing and we are healthy enough to run the boat, fuck the costs. 13 years ago my perfectly healthy dad passed at the ripe old age of 67 from Lou Gherigs. There is nothing like holding your dad up in the shower, changing his diapers, feeding him through a stomach tube, or cleaning his lungs through a trach to alter your outlook on life. It hurt and still hurts, mom was devastated and we all still miss him.

Sons, enjoy your time on and around boats, if it costs a couple bucks so what. We only get one ride around this marble, enjoy it.

#16 holla619

holla619

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 06:18 PM

I became a huge fitness guy when I got into my 30's. No matter what's going on I spend an hour a day 5-7 days a week lifting weights and doing martial arts. Never did anything like it before, and now I couldn't live without it. Healthy people drop dead, but folks with obesity, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol drop dead a hell of a lot more often.

You can't control all the variables but making fitness the #1 priority in your life is in your control, and you will increase your chances of living a longer life and honestly one that you'll enjoy more than otherwise. There's a guy here in San Diego in his late 50's, overweight, who suffered a stroke and doesn't have the balance or coordination to sail anymore. Boat's listed with a brokerage.

#17 holla619

holla619

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 06:19 PM

Had different, but similar event a few years back. Decided to tighten up the diet, exercise like there is no tomorrow, and not think about it. Advice is too easy to give here, and everyone is different, but, I feel terrific, lost weight, and am in the best shape one can be in given age and general wear and tear of the middle aged, so to speak...

Good feeling, isn't it? Posted Image

#18 Shoalcove

Shoalcove

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 06:47 PM

It's good to hear that things are OK Sons. Those little reminders are sometimes needed to help focus and priorize what's important. I got my own this winter and there is no doubt that it has changed my views on a few things. Take care and enjoy!
Shoal

#19 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,778 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:06 PM

Just got back from a 3 mi run. Damn that felt good.

#20 holla619

holla619

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:58 PM

That's awesome bro. I've dragged my feet and felt unmotivated plenty of times before lifting/running/swimming/whatever-ing, but 100% of the time afterwards I'm happy I did it. Endorphins and the pride in accomplishment are hell of a drug, man.

#21 Maxx Baqustae

Maxx Baqustae

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,007 posts
  • Interests:Ummmm......sailboat racing

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:21 PM

Take care of yourself please!

If you are dead because of a heart attack your dead. It's the quality of life can be an issue.

I've been healthy my whole life. A pro skier in formative years. Sailed, raced, cruised, hiked. swam, dove etc. Not a poster boy for triathlon or anything nor did I care to be. However, in 2007 I started to feel odd. It felt like a cold/flu that I've had before that passes. After a couple of weeks I wasn't getting any better - it's all I could do to walk down the dock. My old doctor had retired and a dock mate in our club so I've not felt the need for a new one at that time.

Turns out that cold/flu was walking pneumonia brought on by a insidious virus as well. I was carted away to Emergency by my new doctor as there was something very wrong. After being tested etc. I was suffering from a bicuspid aortic valve that had let go. It's a birth defect - nothing to do with my general health really but it what have gone eventually. After almost a month in the hospital I was well enough to under go surgery for the valve. They put in the porcine replacement (pig valve - a lot of my cohorts and competitors said: ya, so? It makes perfect sense!). It was successful I guess - I'm still here - but it takes 6 months of rehabilitation to feel somewhat normal again. What I wasn't prepared for that it takes months for the anesthetics to ware off. Who knew until you have been there.

Why am I'm telling you my tale of woe? It's a cautionary tale that's all. With me it wouldn't have made much difference as the surgery would be have been in the card at some point but: "GET CHECKED OUT!"

There's a corollary to this story but I won't bore you with it.

#22 4knotSB

4knotSB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:29 PM

OMG, I was gonna wait til the end of the thread to comment, but this can't wait. Remember Jim Fix? Famous runner dude, like 20 years ago, went running and it killed him stone cold dead. Whatever ya do, don't exercise.

Just kidding be well, enjoy life and when it's over it's over, No point in stressing over that.

#23 holla619

holla619

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:05 PM

OMG, I was gonna wait til the end of the thread to comment, but this can't wait. Remember Jim Fix? Famous runner dude, like 20 years ago, went running and it killed him stone cold dead. Whatever ya do, don't exercise.

Just kidding be well, enjoy life and when it's over it's over, No point in stressing over that.

There's always some guy eating deep fried bacon slathered in butter talking about how Jim Fix died at 52.

#24 Great Red Shark

Great Red Shark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,646 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:14 PM

Everytime I think about being more conservative with my finances I think of my parents - who worked so hard a saved for the 'golden years' - neither one of which lived to see 60. Life is the thing that's happening right now.

#25 Jose Carumba

Jose Carumba

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:20 PM

There's always some guy eating deep fried bacon slathered in butter talking about how Jim Fix died at 52.

My grandfather would eat the fat and gristle etc at dinner yet was fit, almost gaunt, until he died at 96. My dad was the same way and died at 93. I can look at a pat of butter and gain 5 lbs. Go figure.

#26 holla619

holla619

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:01 PM

There's always the beer guzzling smoker who eats like shit and lives to be 100, and the fitness guy with his diet dialed in dropping dead at 45. It's probably one of the most anecdotal arguments out there (not saying you're making it, but many do).

#27 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,778 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:32 PM

I had a buddy who's grandpa smoked up until the day they told him he couldn't have another cigarette. He died a few days later at age 99.

W.T.F.

#28 Jose Carumba

Jose Carumba

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:43 PM

There's always the beer guzzling smoker who eats like shit and lives to be 100, and the fitness guy with his diet dialed in dropping dead at 45. It's probably one of the most anecdotal arguments out there (not saying you're making it, but many do).

It happens. Probably genetic according to my doctor.

#29 Salazar

Salazar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Photography, Stage Lighting, etc.

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:50 PM

I'm glad you're doing fine Rick. And perhaps that little scare was for the good. Refocus perhaps?

This next bit may perhaps be a bit off topic?

We sailed for 10 years of more on OPB (other peoples boats). It was a great introduction to "Big Boats" both racing and cruising, coming from Lasers and other dinghies. We had fun and we made good friends. But we kept putting off getting one of our own. Then a couple of good friends passed away and a few other things happened and we thought, why do we keep waiting to buy this boat? So we bought it. We can afford it, just barely, because I can do much of the work myself and because we live in a part of Canada where costs of berthing, storing and mooring a boat are much lower than where most of you live. We have to give up a few things to own Salazar but it's worth it we think.

Now if summer would only get here...

#30 WHL

WHL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,690 posts
  • Interests:Offshore, Star, Farr 30, R Boat racing, and gunkholing in classic daysailers

Posted 25 February 2012 - 12:06 AM

Good to hear you're ok Sons.

I've always been in good health, active and not overweight, but I had one of those scares in 2005 during a stormy overnight race. It was about midnight on a screaming plane in 30+ knots right behind Maxx B who was on a competing boat. Suddenly I couldn't focus in one eye. I thought it was salt water in my eye from spray, but after a few minutes, I developed headaches and became dizzy and disoriented. I went below and was out like a light for hours. After waking briefly to do some nav, i fell asleep again and woke when the boat was at a dock in a different port. Apparently we had retired along with most of the fleet. All the symptoms had gone. I took a ferry home and saw my doc who immediately thought I had had a stroke. After a day in hospital and a zillion tests, they could find nothing. From the description, they diagnosed it as TIA, a forerunner of a stroke. uh oh... here comes the Lipitor. I guess it was a warning to cut back on the bacon sammies.

You just never know what surprises our bodies have for us despite clean living, active sports, and good diets.

#31 kdh

kdh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,561 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 12:13 AM

It happens. Probably genetic according to my doctor.

I agree with your doctor. In the case of heart disease genetics can cause high lipoprotein A levels; a simple blood test is needed to rule it out. A calcium scoring CT scan is the best way to find out how age and lifestyle have affected the heart. Eating like shit means eating a lot of sugar and bread and other simple carbohydrates. Most fats (not trans-fats) and proteins are good for us. We should be eating healthy animals. The industrial food cows that are stuffed with corn are not healthy, for example. Eggs from chickens that eat bugs and worms and toads (I've seen this) lay nutritious eggs. Most people are deficient in Vitamin D; it's worth taking a supplement.

Anyone else sing this tune? holla, other than exercise, how do you define healthy living? Just curious, not challenging you in any way.

#32 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,077 posts
  • Interests:~~/)/)~~

Posted 25 February 2012 - 12:15 AM

Nothing like a little health scare to help you prioritize life's list. Don't forget those annual check ups!!

I skipped ten in a row and my doctor disowned me. I'm still OK, for the moment.

#33 Hike, Bitches!

Hike, Bitches!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,579 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:57 AM

Sons..I am going to work on the boat tomorrow...hope you are too. :)

Oh...and I am watching NASCAR with my buddies on Sunday. B)

#34 sculpin

sculpin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Beer, and power tools.

Posted 25 February 2012 - 02:20 AM

We own the boat we have due to two events
- friends bought their retirement / cruise south boat, and midway through the refit of the boat the husband died from complications after surgery to take out a tumor (found 3 weeks earlier).
- my mother died in a freak accident, while still healthy and enjoying travel and life.
At which point I decided to buy the boat I wanted now, and not wait. Can I afford it? Barely. Would I give it up? No way.

You only go 'round once, no second chances or do-overs.

#35 Paps

Paps

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,024 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 03:11 AM

Glad to hear you'r OK Sons. Make the most of it.

Had to take the other half to emergency on Monday. Blood pressure 200/100, she's OK now but scared the shit out of us both.

#36 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,778 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 03:28 AM

Wow Sculpin. Tough story.

We own Soņadora. We have 3 kids, 2 of whom will be in college in 4 years. I'm envying the 3rd kid. She'll be 11 when the 2nd kid leaves. We are making plans for a long sabbatical.

And all of that seemed like it was slipping away.

Sure, we never know what's going to happen. It would be great to drop everything and go after that dream. Truth is though, I'm living a dream today.

I'll be at the boat tomorrow. Doing a final clean on the deck seams, followed with taping. Will probably be able to get the sealant in on Saturday/Sunday. Or at least finish it during the week. Still need to re-seat the screws, new bungs, then final sand. Yeah...all of that stuff has a new meaning now. Much brighter.

#37 Salazar

Salazar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Photography, Stage Lighting, etc.

Posted 25 February 2012 - 03:30 AM

We own the boat we have due to two events
- friends bought their retirement / cruise south boat, and midway through the refit of the boat the husband died from complications after surgery to take out a tumor (found 3 weeks earlier).
- my mother died in a freak accident, while still healthy and enjoying travel and life.
At which point I decided to buy the boat I wanted now, and not wait. Can I afford it? Barely. Would I give it up? No way.

You only go 'round once, no second chances or do-overs.

My mother drowned in a back yard pool when she was 52. She loved to swim. Just an accident. I'm 51 now. I thought I'd better just go out and buy the boat I wanted now. You don't know what will happen tomorrow.

#38 Amati

Amati

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,660 posts
  • Interests:0 (t) = 0

Posted 25 February 2012 - 03:36 AM

OK, going to be serious here- on December 12 my wife and partner in crime felt nauseous, collapsed, and if the medics hadn't delivered her to the ER in 15 minutes she would be dead. She was at work. Cardio Myopathy. If you don't die during the event, recovery is expected. 10% die, 90% recover. Her heart stopped 5 times. I was there for 3 *. Sons, you should NOT have waited. Better to be embarrassed than...... well, the alternative.

DO NOT WAIT. Get thee to an ER.

We are more glad than ever that we have a Bob Boat and did not sell her.

Although one of the lighter ways we have to deal with all this is part of the Monty Python skit 'Mary Queen of Scots'.

"I think she's dead!"

"No I'm not!"

Bang bang. Thump thump.

But seriously, don't gut this sort of thing out. GET HELP. Right Away. Really. Death may be the next step, but having been next to it 3 times, IT SUCKS. Having been next to my wife, holding her hand and wondering what the hell was going to happen next SUCKS.

As others have said, you have to give yourself a chance. Seriously.

Paul

.*\

NOT.

#39 Maxx Baqustae

Maxx Baqustae

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,007 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 03:47 AM

I've always been in good health, active and not overweight, but I had one of those scares in 2005 during a stormy overnight race. It was about midnight on a screaming plane in 30+ knots right behind Maxx B who was on a competing boat. Suddenly I couldn't focus in one eye. I thought it was salt water in my eye from spray, but after a few minutes, I developed headaches and became dizzy and disoriented. I went below and was out like a light for hours. After waking briefly to do some nav, i fell asleep again and woke when the boat was at a dock in a different port. Apparently we had retired along with most of the fleet. All the symptoms had gone. I took a ferry home and saw my doc who immediately thought I had had a stroke. After a day in hospital and a zillion tests, they could find nothing. From the description, they diagnosed it as TIA, a forerunner of a stroke. uh oh... here comes the Lipitor. I guess it was a warning to cut back on the bacon sammies.

You just never know what surprises our bodies have for us despite clean living, active sports, and good diets.

I understand WHL. Unfortunately completely.

I wasn't going to say it but my corollary to my story was a TIA. About of two years after my surgery my heart had an electrical hiccup. It's fairly routine to put you into cardio unit and give you a shot to dial you up. I was outta there in 2 or 3 hours with no worries. About 2 months later I was cruising at our outstation, reading the morning newspaper, when I felt very funny so I went below. Next thing I know some of the other members that were firemen/para's etc. that I have a problem. I can't see straight or talk normally; I think a bad ice cube from the night before. They call the coast guard and next thing I know I get a hovercraft ride to the hospital. By that point I felt a little better and was able to hop off the hovercraft on to the beach with no incident. They took me to the emergency and I was poked, prodded, scanned and observed for a few hours then they sent me home. Next morning I sat down with my morning coffee and guess what? I can't read the newspaper - at all. Off to emergency again to be poked, prodded and scanned but the doctors on duty ( it was Sunday afternoon at that point) thought I had a TIA and I'm being observed overnight. On Monday, early, my internalist arrived but at first blush he said, with out further testing yet, that I've had a severe TIA or mini-stroke and that happens 1% of the time when you get a shot to get your heart dialed up. Sorry about that.

Terrific. I've been dealing with my TIA for 2 1/2 years. I have severe aphasia and I couldn't talk much for a year. Or read much of DA-WOODY's posts that were over the top more than usual. Hell, I didn't know where I was for about a year. You don't understand how debilitating it is not being able to talk or express yourself. In my business I have to talk for a living so it's been an interesting ride. I'm getting there with the help of the former crew on OR, the Pus, good friends, Boomberries and with the wonders of neuro-acupuncture I might be a real pain ass on the race course again soon!

TIA's happen to people all the time; usually you don't know you had one. I didn't know what a TIA was until I had one. But my second cautionary tale is if you have a situation like WHL or me seek medical help immediately before it's too late. It was too late for me but that's not the point.

Phew - sorry. I just thought I'd share this with the class. Or our family. It's the Addams family or the Mason family at best but a family all the same.

Maxx

#40 WHL

WHL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,690 posts
  • Interests:Offshore, Star, Farr 30, R Boat racing, and gunkholing in classic daysailers

Posted 25 February 2012 - 03:59 AM

Maxx, I knew you had had a bad one which took you out of circulation for a while. Good to see you coming back. Are you doing the Southern Straits Race in April?

#41 Hike, Bitches!

Hike, Bitches!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,579 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 04:02 AM

In addition to watching my mother widdling from dementia, I have a co-worker (mother, wife, etc.) I've known for years that was t-boned on the way to work last summer (July) and is still on a feeding tube. The point was about my comments is that , I am enjoying life while I can because you never know when your 'day' is gonna be. Perhaps I wasn't clear enough, and I hope I wasn't coming across as not being serious. It was about enjoying every day you have.

Sons....glad you are OK. I have recently started running again to drop a few pounds and I can't wait for spring to get on my road bike again.

#42 isma

isma

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 04:35 AM

In addition to watching my mother widdling from dementia, I have a co-worker (mother, wife, etc.) I've known for years that was t-boned on the way to work last summer (July) and is still on a feeding tube. The point was about my comments is that , I am enjoying life while I can because you never know when your 'day' is gonna be. Perhaps I wasn't clear enough, and I hope I wasn't coming across as not being serious. It was about enjoying every day you have.

Sons....glad you are OK. I have recently started running again to drop a few pounds and I can't wait for spring to get on my road bike again.

It's a Grass Roots moment...I don't have the internet skills but the song was something like " live for today" and they caught hell for it.

Shit, not that hard today...

#43 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,778 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 06:45 AM

gotta say I'm a bit moved by all this. Thanks so much for sharing.

I'm reminded of the Steumers. Wife noticed a small spot on her skin. Diagnosed as melanoma. They removed it, but it was enough of a scare that they decided to just sell up and sail. 4 years later and after a circumnavigation, she died of cancer. Was really tough on the family, especially the middle kid. At 18 he was charged with attempted murder of his father.

#44 Paps

Paps

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,024 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:55 AM

I'm reminded of the Steumers. Wife noticed a small spot on her skin. Diagnosed as melanoma. They removed it, but it was enough of a scare that they decided to just sell up and sail. 4 years later and after a circumnavigation, she died of cancer. Was really tough on the family, especially the middle kid. At 18 he was charged with attempted murder of his father.

Sons, I think we need the rest of that story. There seems to be a large hole in there somewhere. Start at the moms passing.

Or maybe I'm just being dense, "surprise". So the kid was so affected it manifested later with the old man?

#45 Whisper

Whisper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 05:50 PM

Good news, Rick!

#46 Maxx Baqustae

Maxx Baqustae

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,007 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:59 PM

Maxx, I knew you had had a bad one which took you out of circulation for a while. Good to see you coming back. Are you doing the Southern Straits Race in April?

Thanks WHL,

After 9 years of one of the most successful programs in the area I don't have a ride these days. A little M24 sailing but that's about it. For Straits I'll likely sail with my Seattle contingent. I raced in Seattle for about 8 years in the '90's before OR came along with another great program and people. I'll do Straits in some form.

#47 Solen

Solen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, tweaking, fixing, sailing.

Posted 25 February 2012 - 11:27 PM

It is the sugar your body converts to plaque, or fat, whatever it wants.

I had a TIA two years ago so I am rigging my boat for ONE handed sailing. While I was driving on the freeway in a Minneapolis suburb my left side went limb - I knew what i was so I was not scared - I decided that when I cant sail I'll go back to school, who knows maybe a doctorate in philosophy and in linguistics with a specialty in sailors vernacular.

#48 Hike, Bitches!

Hike, Bitches!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,579 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 02:12 AM

Good news, Rick!

Whisper!! You're still alive too...Jesus! They are all coming out of the woodwork! :unsure:

#49 mainsheetgirl

mainsheetgirl

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,357 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 02:47 AM

Please, please, please get a colonoscopy, if you haven't already. Please.

~this has been an MSG public service announcement. we now return to your regularly scheduled thread~

#50 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,778 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 02:58 AM

1330160153[/url]' post='3599924']

1330152352[/url]' post='3599836']

Sons, I think we need the rest of that story. There seems to be a large hole in there somewhere. Start at the moms passing.

Or maybe I'm just being dense, "surprise". So the kid was so affected it manifested later with the old man?

Paps...story here

#51 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,290 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 03:12 AM

Please, please, please get a colonoscopy, if you haven't already. Please.

~this has been an MSG public service announcement. we now return to your regularly scheduled thread~

I had one last year, one tiny polyp which they cut off. It's...interesting. I'll leave it at that.

#52 12 metre

12 metre

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 04:13 AM

I understand WHL. Unfortunately completely.

I wasn't going to say it but my corollary to my story was a TIA. About of two years after my surgery my heart had an electrical hiccup. It's fairly routine to put you into cardio unit and give you a shot to dial you up. I was outta there in 2 or 3 hours with no worries. About 2 months later I was cruising at our outstation, reading the morning newspaper, when I felt very funny so I went below. Next thing I know some of the other members that were firemen/para's etc. that I have a problem. I can't see straight or talk normally; I think a bad ice cube from the night before. They call the coast guard and next thing I know I get a hovercraft ride to the hospital. By that point I felt a little better and was able to hop off the hovercraft on to the beach with no incident. They took me to the emergency and I was poked, prodded, scanned and observed for a few hours then they sent me home. Next morning I sat down with my morning coffee and guess what? I can't read the newspaper - at all. Off to emergency again to be poked, prodded and scanned but the doctors on duty ( it was Sunday afternoon at that point) thought I had a TIA and I'm being observed overnight. On Monday, early, my internalist arrived but at first blush he said, with out further testing yet, that I've had a severe TIA or mini-stroke and that happens 1% of the time when you get a shot to get your heart dialed up. Sorry about that.

Terrific. I've been dealing with my TIA for 2 1/2 years. I have severe aphasia and I couldn't talk much for a year. Or read much of DA-WOODY's posts that were over the top more than usual. Hell, I didn't know where I was for about a year. You don't understand how debilitating it is not being able to talk or express yourself. In my business I have to talk for a living so it's been an interesting ride. I'm getting there with the help of the former crew on OR, the Pus, good friends, Boomberries and with the wonders of neuro-acupuncture I might be a real pain ass on the race course again soon!

TIA's happen to people all the time; usually you don't know you had one. I didn't know what a TIA was until I had one. But my second cautionary tale is if you have a situation like WHL or me seek medical help immediately before it's too late. It was too late for me but that's not the point.

Phew - sorry. I just thought I'd share this with the class. Or our family. It's the Addams family or the Mason family at best but a family all the same.

Maxx

Figured I’d add my story here as well. Last spring I had a pain migrate from my lower stomach to lower back. I went to the ER. They did a quick urine test, determined it wasn’t food poisoning and sent me home as well. I checked back into the ER a few hours later and they did X-Ray, CT, and finally MRI. Found I had a blood clot in a kidney, but it was too late by then, so i’m down to one kidney now. They put me on Pradax (or Pradaxa in the US), which is advertised as the newest, latest, and greatest anti-coagulent.

Anyways, just before Hallowe’en, I experienced tingling in my right hand while working on a friend’s boat. Went to the ER and found I had an embolism (clot) in my right arm. They yanked the clot out of my arm, and a couple of days later while in recovery, I suffered a stroke. I guess if you're going to have a stroke, the hospital is the best place to have one. My biggest concern was that even though I was on an anti-coagulant, this was my third clot related event in six months. The doctors were puzzled as to how this could happen since I was on Pradax. Mind you it seems that I experience AF every now and then (I`m on meds to control that too) which apparently can trigger the formation of clots, but the Pradax was supposed to stop them from actually forming (at least that is my understanding).

The hematologist changed me from Pradax to Warfarin, but couldn’t give me any assurance that Warfarin would be any more effective. So I was pretty down at first, thinking there is nothing to prevent clots from forming. While that may be true, I have a much better attitude now, but I’ll admit that it still sits in the back of my mind.

On the bright side, the stroke hasn’t created too many deficits. I had mild aphasia at first (transposing letters and words in my case, I recall saying ‘ flibregas’ instead of ‘fibreglass ) as well as some neglect in my visual fields, but both of these have improved a lot and I’m pretty much normal in those regards. My worst deficit was the loss of the sense of touch in my left hand and arm. Both of these are showing signs of improvement, but very slightly and very slowly and I doubt they will ever approach normal. I can do pretty much anything I used to be able to do with my left hand as long I can see what I’m doing. I remember one of my first reactions was, how will I be able to get a socket or wrench on hidden nuts that I have to use my left hand to find? On an even brighter side, while I haven’t had the boat out sailing yet (I did move it from one slip to another) I am able to get on and off the boat as easily as before. So, I’m hoping to get the boat out racing at some point his year. Single handing may be a challenge, especially raising (headboard hangs up on the runners) and flaking the rather large main.

Glad to hear you’re on the road to recovery Maxx. If you`re interested in around the cans, you’d be welcome on my boat, although I’m certain it’s not the type of boat or program you’re used to. Slightly better than a 4ktsb – but barely.

Finally, as others here have said, if you experience any warning signs, don`t slough them off or wait until the symptoms get worse - get yourself to an ER.

#53 Hike, Bitches!

Hike, Bitches!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,579 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 04:43 AM

HI MSG....so glad to see you checking in! B)

#54 Maxx Baqustae

Maxx Baqustae

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,007 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:54 PM

Thanks 12 meter. I might take you up on it sometime. I'd pretty much retired going back to my Seattle days but 9 years later I was still at it. Program's gone as far as I'm concerned but I will sail with people I like and have fun - and not having to sail with assholes! Bin der; dun dat. It's hard enough to communicate with me at the best of times - it's the quiet sarcasm but put a speech issue in the way - yikes.

I do Pradax now too and I found Warfarin (rat poison) was too invasive with all the blood testing. It's not something you can do at home. But I say again the acupuncture has worked wonders. My speech mainly and I have a noise issue. Not that I can't hear but I hear too much. That's subsiding due to the acupuncture as well.

Maybe we can start a TIA gang? What ya think?

#55 Weyalan

Weyalan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:11 AM

I was sitting here, at my desk, wondering if we were too busy for my wife and I to justify jumping on the boat on Friday evening and heading off down the channel, just for the weekend. Then I read this thread. Now we are definitely going down the channel this weekend. Life is too short.

#56 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,197 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:43 AM

Yes it is...enjoy it while you can...

Some eye opening posts on this thread...makes me think about seeing my Doc,even though I had a physical a year ago.

#57 Maxx Baqustae

Maxx Baqustae

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,007 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:20 AM

Good idea Boomer; go for it. But in some cases I'm not sure it helps much. I know a friend that had brain aneurysm while driving downtown. Another was driving on 401 highway near Oakville, Ont. and had the sense something was wrong so he stopped then passed out. He was in the boat business for a million years but now? Last time I heard he was still recovering at home but not all that well. It's been a year or more since I've heard about him.

Both of them were pretty much normal guys.

Like my old saying: Life is short - get one!

#58 Shoalcove

Shoalcove

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:07 PM

"Life is short - get one!" How true! My moment of truth happened about 14 years ago when I listened to a loaded MD-11 crash about 5 miles from my folks house during a visit. I spent my last weekend in Nova Scotia before moving out west recovering body parts from the shore infront of the house.
I can assure you that an event like that helps you to focus on life's priorities. It took a couple years to get back but I owned a boat before we bought a house. The stories I've been reading here reinforce my views. Thanks for sharing.
Shoal

#59 blackjenner

blackjenner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,593 posts
  • Interests:MrsBlack, Brigadoon, freedom

Posted 28 February 2012 - 06:09 PM

Sons,

I'm really glad you are OK.

Every time I feel some odd pain, it gives me pause.

Every single male in my family has had a heart attack before the age of 50. My father had his first at 48. My grandfather died at 52.

I am 53.

I exercise. I've pretty much stopped drinking. I eat a whole foods plant based diet based on the research of Eggleston (see the movie: Forks Over Knives) to reduce the chances of heart disease being a "food borne illness."

I've decided that it makes no sense to own Brigadoon if I won't be able to sail away in her in a few years.

Besides, I promised my Kerry that I'd live forever. :)

So, good news for you. Take care of yourself. People care about you.

#60 blackjenner

blackjenner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,593 posts
  • Interests:MrsBlack, Brigadoon, freedom

Posted 28 February 2012 - 06:13 PM

And it doesn't mean anything more than we attach to it.

You are better off eating better, not smoking, drinking less and exercising.

#61 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,704 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:07 PM

Yesterday, a neighbor saw me fiddling with my boat in the afternoon. He yelled "Jesus, don't you every work??" I actually felt guilty for a moment, but I should have yelled back "Yeah, just barely enough!"

#62 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,197 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:29 PM

Good idea Boomer; go for it. But in some cases I'm not sure it helps much. I know a friend that had brain aneurysm while driving downtown. Another was driving on 401 highway near Oakville, Ont. and had the sense something was wrong so he stopped then passed out. He was in the boat business for a million years but now? Last time I heard he was still recovering at home but not all that well. It's been a year or more since I've heard about him.

Both of them were pretty much normal guys.

Like my old saying: Life is short - get one!

The older we get,the more we think about self preservation...my wife and I always were hyper conscious about eating natural,organic or home grown food including livestock and fowl and rarely the junk food store bought crap but for special occasions...combined with working out and staying in shape has been a big help in maintaining our health and I'd like to think more youthful appearance...but still you never know when your times up.

The last couple of years we've concentrated on even more on a higher intake of vegetables and fruits with less beef and more fish and chicken.Though beets aren't a favorite,for the past three years been juicing or steaming beets for a regular part of our diet,not only is this good for cardiovascular and internal health,it also opens the prostate more(three years ago didn't have near the piss pressure of my youth,now I pee freely (ha).

Never been a pill popper,but the past couple of years take the essential vitamins including omega 3 and curcumin with bioperine> Novel Turmeric Compound Delivers Much More Curcumin to the Blood

Doctor's Best Best Curcumin

Recently retired...hope to get a few more decades under my belt before my number is up.My old man is still kicking around in his late 80's,his father lived to almost 90...But you never know,I could keel over tomorrow...

#63 12 metre

12 metre

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 07:59 AM

Thanks 12 meter. I might take you up on it sometime. I'd pretty much retired going back to my Seattle days but 9 years later I was still at it. Program's gone as far as I'm concerned but I will sail with people I like and have fun - and not having to sail with assholes! Bin der; dun dat. It's hard enough to communicate with me at the best of times - it's the quiet sarcasm but put a speech issue in the way - yikes.

I do Pradax now too and I found Warfarin (rat poison) was too invasive with all the blood testing. It's not something you can do at home. But I say again the acupuncture has worked wonders. My speech mainly and I have a noise issue. Not that I can't hear but I hear too much. That's subsiding due to the acupuncture as well.

A TIA gang might be interesting – certainly might confuse the competition. I can see myself saying something like “mop the drain” instead of “drop the main” Yeah, the rat poison is a pain in the rear, with all the testing involved and diet restrictions (which isn’t as bad as it first seemed), which is why I originally went with the Pradax. Unfortunately, for me anyways, it seems the Pradax didn’t quite work as advertised.

It would be great to have you out when the weather warms up a bit Maxx (or anyone else who wants to be part of a local TIA gang for that matter) – I’m sure I would learn a lot. I’m not working at the moment (not so much due to the stroke, but because I quit my job shortly before the stroke) so I have a lot of free time at the moment.

#64 memopad

memopad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:32 PM

Sons when you get that boat back in the water and in cruise mode... try and make it east of the keweenaw sometime and stop by Marquette. I'll buy you a beer. Same goes for JD if he ever gets his new fancy pants boat over here.

#65 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,065 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:34 PM

Mems:
Make sure it's a light beer.

#66 memopad

memopad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:47 PM

Mems:
Make sure it's a light beer.

I can have winecoolers on standby if the situation deteriorates lol

#67 kidkodine

kidkodine

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts
  • Interests:Water
    Sailing
    Neruo-
    pharmacology
    Nootropics
    Epsom salt
    Old BMW, and Diesel Benzez
    Wet plate photography
    Text based web sites
    crush on elle...

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:40 PM

Colonoscopy - get one - I get them every 5 years. Also get you PSA done every year - I know there has been some dont do the PSA press recently - fuck that - just do it and keep track of your numbers. If it starts to rise every year - go to the doc with the BIG finger and get it checked out -

Back on topic - Psyllium Husk - take it every day. Its been about 3 years now sine I found the religion and I cannot ever say enough. Its been a revelation. Doing a poo now is like a devout Catholic going to confession. No, that is not a good analogy. Think about an Olympic diver doing a 10 dive. No splash - just a swoosh and that's it - sometimes you don't even need paper its such a clean nip! No more pine cones or slushies. No fear of the dreaded office BM. The 10am rush to the stalls accompanied by the explosive sound of "bowels gone wild". I have a smug smile on my face.

These are such easy things to do.

my 2 cents

I have reservations about posting this, but WTF...God I miss Lesbian Robot.

#68 Maxx Baqustae

Maxx Baqustae

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,007 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:57 AM

A TIA gang might be interesting – certainly might confuse the competition. I can see myself saying something like "mop the drain" instead of "drop the main" Yeah, the rat poison is a pain in the rear, with all the testing involved and diet restrictions (which isn't as bad as it first seemed), which is why I originally went with the Pradax. Unfortunately, for me anyways, it seems the Pradax didn't quite work as advertised.

It would be great to have you out when the weather warms up a bit Maxx (or anyone else who wants to be part of a local TIA gang for that matter) – I'm sure I would learn a lot. I'm not working at the moment (not so much due to the stroke, but because I quit my job shortly before the stroke) so I have a lot of free time at the moment.

I saw my internalist today and I'll fight for another day. I did the whole meal deal over the last two weeks and apparently I'm in good health - no issues or not upping anything in my medication regime. And yes, sometimes Pradax can be an issue for some people; not me. I went through that when they upped my Lipitor a couple of years ago. I thought I was going to die; check that - "wanted" to die! That wasn't working for me so they gave me Crestor and no issues since.

I've been dealing my speech issues for 2 1/2 years. I couldn't answer the phone as people think I'm drunk or just batty. If been through the speech deal with the aphasia and it's not a lot of fun. Not talking and not being able to find the words to express yourself is a bear. Our race crew just didn't even blink or even talk about my temporary disabilities. It was just another day in the office to them; for that I'm eternally grateful - you know who you are! However I've been laughed at , verbally abused on the net, don't understand about my medical issues or the fact that I'm "recovering" not going in the other direction. A lot of clients & so call friends of mine quietly disappeared and gone on to other things. At the end of day: Fuck'em! I don't get mad - I get even.

Now that I coughed that hairball out (sorry all): 12 Meter - are you still dealing with a speech issue? Last July I decided to try something as I was getting impatient so I researched it as I tried neuro-acupunture. Franky, It's made the difference in the world for me. It takes awhile but you get improvement by every session. Even my medical professional friends say "wow" - what a difference if they haven't seen me for a couple of weeks. The side benefit is my energy is much improved. My balance is back and there's a lot of little things. I had a bit a arthritic hand that was bugging me since skiing days, bashing into moguls in my early 20's, so I asked my acupuncture doctor while he was treating me for the aphasia I said: While your up, your doing this anyway, can you fix my hand? One session I could feel the difference, by two I was 80% better now the pain is totally gone. After 35 year of dealing with it? Wow. If your interested IM me - the doctor is in West Van on Bellevue.

Sorry about the long winded epistle campers - maybe it will help others. I couldn't write this a year ago.

And kidkodine: I take Psyllium too. But did you have to go there; with a vid? Fack me! :P

#69 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,197 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:22 AM

My wife suggested an acupuncture clinic to her mother.She has been going three times a week since November for a few problems she was dealing with....the results have been remarkable to say the least and quite an eye-opener.

of note-Robert Doane One of the founders of this clinic is a sailor.

Acupucture & Wellness Center

#70 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,778 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:46 AM

Sons when you get that boat back in the water and in cruise mode... try and make it east of the keweenaw sometime and stop by Marquette. I'll buy you a beer. Same goes for JD if he ever gets his new fancy pants boat over here.

It's funny you mention that. I've been trying to keep track of who here lies on the shores of the Great Lakes. When the time comes, I'll be asking around.

Thanks Mems

#71 Maxx Baqustae

Maxx Baqustae

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,007 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 12:51 AM

My wife suggested an acupuncture clinic to her mother.She has been going three times a week since November for a few problems she was dealing with....the results have been remarkable to say the least and quite an eye-opener.

of note-Robert Doane One of the founders of this clinic is a sailor.

Acupucture & Wellness Center

I've been focused with my own bigger issues but after this I will be the first guy to try acupuncture for normal aches and pains rather than the mainstream of medication, physio etc. What I've seen so far is quite remarkable.

#72 SaucySailoress

SaucySailoress

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:Erm. Sailing.

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:23 PM

A couple of years ago I had a bad riding accident, woke up in ICU. That changed my outlook - too much unfortunately. When I got back to work, I told my boss to fuck off, and got the sack from my job as a teacher. Got an easier job as a safety diver, so at least I'm working on the sea now, and have more time to spend on the boat.... Plus having already lost my career job, that gives me one less thing to give up when we finally cast off the dock lines!!!

Sonadora - Sorry for your scare - but here's one for your new lease on life! Go for it!!!

#73 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,778 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 03:41 PM

A couple of years ago I had a bad riding accident, woke up in ICU. That changed my outlook - too much unfortunately. When I got back to work, I told my boss to fuck off, and got the sack from my job as a teacher. Got an easier job as a safety diver, so at least I'm working on the sea now, and have more time to spend on the boat.... Plus having already lost my career job, that gives me one less thing to give up when we finally cast off the dock lines!!!

Sonadora - Sorry for your scare - but here's one for your new lease on life! Go for it!!!

your avatar helps ;)

You should post here more often. We're much more fun than CF

#74 Hike, Bitches!

Hike, Bitches!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,579 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 12:16 AM

jesus...we need to tell SS to show us some tits and with 11 posts send her to the "Attention Newbies" thread. B)

http://forums.sailin...howtopic=132221

#75 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,778 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 01:19 AM

jesus...we need to tell SS to show us some tits and with 11 posts send her to the "Attention Newbies" thread. B)

http://forums.sailin...howtopic=132221

oh, she's been 'greeted' already. She would be a real asset around here but I think she's in a committed relationship with Cruiser's Forum.

#76 Hike, Bitches!

Hike, Bitches!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,579 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 03:49 AM

roger, Sons..I am admittedly a little out of the loop.

#77 Balder

Balder

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, and currently trying to configure my career to sail more, may be able to pull it off.

Posted 12 June 2012 - 01:22 AM

Don't know how I missed this when it came up. I am going to chime in now. I have recently become a nurse. And I want to tell all you about chest pain - go to the Hospital! DON'T wait two days to see what it does. I have 2x called amublances for people in an office who were having pretty severe shest pain radiating in the arm who were refusing to go to the hospital. So I let them argue with the EMT, short argument, they were both treated for minor heart attacks. Had they waited 2 days, it would have been MUCH worse.

If you ARE having a heart attack - TIME EQUALS MUSCLE. That is the equation. You go to the HOSPITAL - NOT THE DOCTOR! IT's the time thing, doctors aren't set up to treat you as quickly. You DO NOT WAIT TWO FUCKING DAYS! :angry:

From the Mayo Clinic -

Heart-related chest pain
Although chest pain is commonly attributed to heart disease, many heart patients experience a vague discomfort and they often specifically mention that pain does not seem to be an adequate description. In general, chest discomfort related to a heart attack or another heart problem may be associated with one or more of the following:

Pressure, fullness or tightness in your chest
Crushing or searing pain that radiates to your back, neck, jaw, shoulders and arms — particularly your left arm

Pain that lasts more than a few minutes, goes away and comes back or varies in intensity

Shortness of breath, sweating, dizziness or nausea

Other types of chest pain
It can be difficult to distinguish chest pain due to a heart problem from other types of chest pain. However, chest pain that is less likely due to a heart problem is more often associated with:

A sour taste or a sensation of food re-entering your mouth

Trouble swallowing

Pain that gets better or worse when you change your body position

Pain that intensifies when you breathe deeply or cough

Tenderness when you push on your chest

The classic symptoms of heartburn — a painful, burning sensation behind your breastbone — can be caused by problems with your heart or your stomach.

When to see a doctor
If you have new or unexplained chest pain or suspect you're having a heart attack, call for emergency medical help immediately.

If you post on this board you are having the type of heart related chest pain, I will track you down and send an ambulance to your house and you can argue with the EMT's, so far they are 2 for 2 for me.

Men are notorious for putting off going to the doctor and losing that muscle, no one is that tough.

Glad your OK.

Next lecture scheduled for sometime later this year. Stay tuned.

#78 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,778 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 02:19 AM

Point taken. First step is to realize I'm not 24 any more. Not sure WTF happened, but here I am.

#79 Cruisin Loser

Cruisin Loser

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,645 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, rock climbing, skiing, steatopygia, stuff

Posted 12 June 2012 - 02:59 PM

I've always been pretty healthy, played rugby for years, rock climbing, ski double blacks. At spring break with my son I came down with appendicitis, had it out, no worries. A few weeks later my doc called, in reviewing the CT scan taken for the appendicitis they noticed a spot on my lung. I've never smoked cigs, some herb in college but that was a while ago (I'm 57). They CT scanned it again last week and the spot had about doubled in size. Running a PET scan tomorrow to try and figure out if I've got a problem. I haven't told the family, since there's no sense in worrying them if it's nothing.

If it's a problem, it makes buying the sailboat look like an ever more brilliant decision. I bought the Hinckley when I figured out that this isn't dress rehearsal, we've got one shot and if we don't have a shitload of fun it's our own damn fault. I've had a shitload of fun with that boat. Same reason I flogged that varnish hog to Bermuda with Booms and WHL last summer. If not now, when?

#80 WHL

WHL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,690 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 04:22 PM

Sorry to hear that CL. I hope for the best for you.

#81 kdh

kdh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,561 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 04:59 PM

Best wishes, CL.

#82 Peter M

Peter M

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:23 PM

Good luck CL. Hopefully you don't have a problem. Can relate to your attitude with respect to buying the Hinckley. I have always felt the same way.

I've always been pretty healthy, played rugby for years, rock climbing, ski double blacks. At spring break with my son I came down with appendicitis, had it out, no worries. A few weeks later my doc called, in reviewing the CT scan taken for the appendicitis they noticed a spot on my lung. I've never smoked cigs, some herb in college but that was a while ago (I'm 57). They CT scanned it again last week and the spot had about doubled in size. Running a PET scan tomorrow to try and figure out if I've got a problem. I haven't told the family, since there's no sense in worrying them if it's nothing.

If it's a problem, it makes buying the sailboat look like an ever more brilliant decision. I bought the Hinckley when I figured out that this isn't dress rehearsal, we've got one shot and if we don't have a shitload of fun it's our own damn fault. I've had a shitload of fun with that boat. Same reason I flogged that varnish hog to Bermuda with Booms and WHL last summer. If not now, when?

#83 sculpin

sculpin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Beer, and power tools.

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:27 PM

Good luck tomorrow CL.

#84 Boomberries

Boomberries

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,042 posts
  • Interests:Offshore and coastal sailing and racing. Classic wooden boats.

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:01 PM

CL, I sent you an email. You know you have to only call if you need a friend to talk to. Hugs and best thoughts. You are a young, strong, healthy fella to fight no matter what (if anything) comes your way. Stay positive, my friend : ) Booms

#85 jackdaw

jackdaw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts
  • Interests:The usual stuff.

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:08 PM

All the best CL......

#86 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,778 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:23 PM

dang CL! Just saw this.

none of this 'had a shitload of fun'

You're going to keep having a shitload of fun!

Good thoughts your way.

#87 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,675 posts
  • Interests:SWMBO

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:36 PM

dang CL! Just saw this.

Good thoughts your way.

+1

#88 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,290 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:21 PM

dang CL! Just saw this.

Good thoughts your way.

+1

+2

#89 Innocent Bystander

Innocent Bystander

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,572 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:08 AM

CL

Fingers crossed. Best wishes.

#90 PNW Matt B

PNW Matt B

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:29 AM

Good luck CL. Here's hoping tomorrow's news is excellent.

#91 Jose Carumba

Jose Carumba

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:49 AM

Rooting fof you CL. Best of luck.

#92 Maxx Baqustae

Maxx Baqustae

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,007 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:12 AM

The best of luck CL. Keep us posted from us in the SA clinic!

#93 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,077 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:43 AM

Good luck, CL. My parents don't share every detail of their aging bodies for fear of worrying me. I worry anyway, and really no more when I'm informed than when I'm just making up stuff to worry about. Worrying together can be a good experience. I had a PET scan once. Scary experience. I'd have told them.

#94 Cruisin Loser

Cruisin Loser

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,645 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:24 PM

Thanks for the thoughts guys (and Boom). Off to the imaging center.

#95 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,704 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:52 PM

Thanks for the thoughts guys (and Boom). Off to the imaging center.

My best wishes for you too. You have to stick around, so you can meet up with me when I finally get to Maine!!

#96 bmiller

bmiller

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 01:18 AM

Best of luck to you CL.

#97 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,704 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 02:35 PM

Well CL, tomorrow is today and you're making me worry.

What's up?

#98 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,077 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 02:52 PM

A PET scan produces a whole bunch of images, all of which must be carefully scrutinized by a very busy person.

#99 MoeAlfa

MoeAlfa

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,322 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 03:30 PM

Missed this. Thinking of you, CL. PET's not that complicated (it's often just a little ambiguous) and for what that busy person is getting paid, (s)he can scrutinize the damn thing pronto.

#100 Cruisin Loser

Cruisin Loser

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,645 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 03:23 PM

Looks like smooth water on a beam reach for the ol' Loser, no signs of cancer. Seems all the good wishes from here worked, thanks for the thoughts, guys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users