61 replies to this topic

#1 aja

aja

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:17 PM

Let me start by saying I am crushed by this heart wrenching move but it appears to be slowly grinding ahead.
We have owned our 6KSB for the past 11 seasons and I cannot have asked for a better boat for where we sail. She is a fantastic blend of 80's racer-cruiser which has had good success on the race course while offing tremendous comfort and amenities while cruising. I have done so much work in the time we have owned her so she is more than just a boat to me. While it was actually my wife's idea to buy this sailboat in the first place her interest in sailing has waned to the point where sails are now spent stewing about how slow the boat is compared with various friends in power boats who in the past number of years we end up rafted with most every night out. We have a 9YO son who really enjoys spending time on the boat but seems limited in his interest in running he boat - I know he is still young so don't push him too hard but if he were older or that circumstance were different it might change the formula here.
Anyways, the reason I bring it up here is for the first time in my life I really have no interest in shopping or having anything to do with this next vessel. Those that I might like we could not afford and those which we can afford will probably end up being some sort of horrendous Sea Ray crap or equivalent. Even if we end up with this thing I have no interest whatsoever in maintaining, cleaning, upgrading as I have spent so much time and effort doing in the past. Please don't mention fuel since that is just adding salt to a gaping, infected wound. I guess on the bright side it would be nice to have more free time for biking, hiking, motorcycling and other non-water activities, but this really is a huge change for us where we have been such water rats for so long.
I guess my reason for bringing my sob story to this group is to learn if others had been through similar situations and even if there could be any suggestions on decent power boats to replace our 33' ride.

#2 DRIFTW00D

DRIFTW00D

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,381 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:29 PM

Whats your fuel budget?

#3 Dorado

Dorado

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,439 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:30 PM

Well, do you fish?

#4 Damaged Goods

Damaged Goods

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts
  • Interests:Community organizing.

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:30 PM

Here's my suggestions:

1. Buy an ad
2. Get a new wife
3. Move to the Med

#5 Schnick

Schnick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,101 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:32 PM

I have often thought I would get more sailing in a 2 week summer holiday with a quick 30'ish powerboat with a laser and an opti on the roof, than what I get out of a Catalina 36 pulling a power dinghy around. Fuel budget aside, it doesn't sound all that bad.

#6 CyberBOB

CyberBOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:34 PM

Let me start by saying I am crushed by this heart wrenching move but it appears to be slowly grinding ahead.
We have owned our 6KSB for the past 11 seasons and I cannot have asked for a better boat for where we sail. She is a fantastic blend of 80's racer-cruiser which has had good success on the race course while offing tremendous comfort and amenities while cruising. I have done so much work in the time we have owned her so she is more than just a boat to me. While it was actually my wife's idea to buy this sailboat in the first place her interest in sailing has waned to the point where sails are now spent stewing about how slow the boat is compared with various friends in power boats who in the past number of years we end up rafted with most every night out. We have a 9YO son who really enjoys spending time on the boat but seems limited in his interest in running he boat - I know he is still young so don't push him too hard but if he were older or that circumstance were different it might change the formula here.
Anyways, the reason I bring it up here is for the first time in my life I really have no interest in shopping or having anything to do with this next vessel. Those that I might like we could not afford and those which we can afford will probably end up being some sort of horrendous Sea Ray crap or equivalent. Even if we end up with this thing I have no interest whatsoever in maintaining, cleaning, upgrading as I have spent so much time and effort doing in the past. Please don't mention fuel since that is just adding salt to a gaping, infected wound. I guess on the bright side it would be nice to have more free time for biking, hiking, motorcycling and other non-water activities, but this really is a huge change for us where we have been such water rats for so long.
I guess my reason for bringing my sob story to this group is to learn if others had been through similar situations and even if there could be any suggestions on decent power boats to replace our 33' ride.

That really sucks aja. But it sometimes is more fun boating with the whole family than by yourself.

But it might not be as bad as you think, I've done my fair share of powerboating. The big difference is the journey is no fun on a powerboat, but you will have just as much fun once you reach your destination. With luck, you can get a nice sailing dinghy to go with your boat, which in turn might make a bigger impact on your son. 9yo is about the age where having the freedom to do something by themselves will make a huge impact.

Good luck.

#7 stolpsTDI

stolpsTDI

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:41 PM

Get the power boat your wife wants.

Buy something smaller to sail and race with your son.

#8 WarBird

WarBird

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:43 PM

My sailboat partner/brother has a 37' express cruiser, twin big diesels, deepish V. We trully have almost as much fun on that boat. We idle at 6-7 knots, enjoy a rum, chat, laugh, anchor and swim. Daughter, nieces and nephews, friends enjoy the low hassle aspect. The deisels are not huge guzzlers idleing or WOT really. Pre partnership, he and I compared my annual sail purchase $ against his fuel $. Sails cost more than deisel! Do not despair, you will still be on the water, your seamanship aquired sailing will allow you to laugh at many of the fellow powerboaters ineptitude. Many sailboats will still welcome you for Weds nites and weekends if you choose. You will get frequent offer to perform the glorious R/C duty and even get a thank you from some if not all racers. Sized right, you can keep your current slip!

#9 Spyder

Spyder

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:47 PM

I bought a decent and by that I mean respectable from a seasoned boater perspective (think classic Bertram)smaller powerboat (26 feet)to accompany the sail boat. We keep them directly across from one another and pick the best tool for the job. If there is no wind or my son wants to go tubing or we want to raft off with others for a sunset dinner we take the power boat. If we are racing or the night is perfect or the company prefers we take the sailboat. I don't feel obligated to buy the biggest powerboat and lug three bedrooms that rarely get used along and if we raft off we can always lounge in someone elses plush saloon.

#10 Animal Kingdom

Animal Kingdom

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:01 PM

This is exactly what I did last summer. Sold the 30' racer cruiser because the family wasn't spending much time on it, and I didn't need a boat that big for beer can racing and the rare overnight. I put half the money into an 18' center console fishing boat, which has worked out great. My 6 year old son and I fished off it almost every weekend after we bought it last summer, we took friends out for rides, explored local creeks, etc. No regrets at all. I think I spent about $80 in gas which is a bummer but I can live with it.

WRT what kind of boat, depends on what you'll do with it. CCs are good all purpose boats and hold their values best. Dual consoles/bow riders are more comfortable for more people, but not as good for fishing if that's your thing. Don't bother with a cuddy unless you plan to sleep on it - takes up too much room. PM me if you want advice on builders, etc.

BTW, still have the other half of the money I got out of the last sailboat and am shopping for my next beer can racer now. Hopefully I can have it both ways.......

#11 SmartPig

SmartPig

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:50 PM

I'm a sailor

But -- I've never had anything against stink pots. Recently, I've gotten an itch to go buy a 23' Grady White Gulfstream.

http://www.gradywhite.com/232/

While I'm not a fisherman, maybe I could be enticed into becoming one -- and I do want something like this beauty to be able to tour every nook and crany of the Chesapeake Bay and to also offer to assist in our major regattas here at my club. My problem is just the opposite of yours -- I can't talk my wife into it! (let alone the fact that I can't afford a new one -- cost is way in excess of 100 big ones)

#12 Animal Kingdom

Animal Kingdom

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 12:05 AM

I'm a sailor

But -- I've never had anything against stink pots. Recently, I've gotten an itch to go buy a 23' Grady White Gulfstream.

http://www.gradywhite.com/232/

While I'm not a fisherman, maybe I could be enticed into becoming one -- and I do want something like this beauty to be able to tour every nook and crany of the Chesapeake Bay and to also offer to assist in our major regattas here at my club. My problem is just the opposite of yours -- I can't talk my wife into it! (let alone the fact that I can't afford a new one -- cost is way in excess of 100 big ones)

If cuddys are your thing, take a look at this Steiger. I've seen her up close and she's gorgeous. Priced cheap too. I might trade my CC for her if I wasn't saving for a beer can racer (and needed a cuddy).

http://www.daremarina.com/pre_owned_detail.asp?sid=01037256X2K24K2012J6I03I07JPMQ6915R0&veh=2478677

#13 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,459 posts
  • Interests:~~/)/)~~

Posted 25 February 2012 - 12:08 AM

Waaaah!

Hope this helps.

#14 From the Helm

From the Helm

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 12:23 AM

I've always had both, center console, go fast, little go fast, day boat, and overnight capable power boat.

One fun thing about having a good cc is doing RC work, mark set, and taking kids out for water sports.
Wife will want head, fridge, sun-cover, windshield.

Get a Pursuit Denali 2860

#15 Touch of Gray

Touch of Gray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,835 posts
  • Interests:SA

Posted 25 February 2012 - 12:44 AM

Dexter's "Slice of Life"

http://1.bp.blogspot...exters_boat.jpg

#16 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,361 posts
  • Interests:SA is DEAD

Posted 25 February 2012 - 12:53 AM

Hey - no doubt when your like the rest of the working stiffs in the US with 2weeks off a year if your lucky. The last thing you want to do is spend most of your time in transit between the marina and where you like going with the boat.

Which is why a power boat is what it is. Gets you to point B quick you spend most of your time at point B then you get back home to point A quick. Which is why faster sailboats are pretty damn attractive ha ha..............

#17 Black Jack

Black Jack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:04 AM

1330121856[/url]' post='3599276']

Time to consider some other options too. Become crew on another sailboat.
The money you save each year on the boat - you can vacation sail with the family in some pretty spectaular places.

Besides it's time you start riding the motorcycle and doing some land adventures.

#18 clamslapper

clamslapper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:12 AM

Don't beat yourself up too bad. For one thing, it will be a better chick platform. And you can fish and stuff. I shudder at the cost of fuel, but then again a new set of sails every year for my stupid J24 is probably a lot more expensive. I mean, 6 grand is , what, 1500 gallons of gas ... no way you'll burn that much in one summer.

I honestly don't know anything about powerboats but I am sure it will be a blast. You will laugh at us when there is no wind, that's for sure.

#19 SmartPig

SmartPig

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:21 AM

Dexter's "Slice of Life"

http://1.bp.blogspot...exters_boat.jpg

I've had my eye on Dexter's boat for -- what is it, six seasons now?

#20 SmartPig

SmartPig

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:22 AM

If cuddys are your thing, take a look at this Steiger. I've seen her up close and she's gorgeous. Priced cheap too. I might trade my CC for her if I wasn't saving for a beer can racer (and needed a cuddy).

http://www.daremarin...5R0&veh=2478677

Thanks Dude -- that is a good looking boat. Might just fit the bill, and the price is certainly right .. plus Yorktown is only about an hour away from me.

#21 Kent H

Kent H

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,860 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:40 AM

I used to work for Volvo and was on the Genmar customer service project. I have listened to literally thousands of problems as well as happy power boat folks.

What does your wife want?

Costs are a big deal. Usually buyers from Donald Trump to Joe the Plumber buy too much loan, too low NMPG and the wrong engine or boat.

The Pursuit is a nice boat btw.

If you are flush with cash the most successful Powerboat trio during the crash of 2008 right up to today is Mark Lindsey, Doug Zurn and some guy named Johnstone who was involved in some fly by night sailboat brand in the 70's called J boats....MJM Yachts

If not flush there are a lot of books and great stuff on the web based on used boat surveys that will help out. Good place to start for Powerboats is..

Yacht Survey . com

There are some surprises on boats that you would think to ignore but are worth your time to look. A lot more surprises on boats that you would think are great and should be avoided....Grady White...not so sure ...depends on model and year.

If you are trying to go cheap try Yamaha outboard except the HPDI carborated crap. Mercury four cycle prior to Dorado was Yamaha as well. The Genmar Triumph and Logic boats powered by either the Mercury four cycle or any Yamaha except HPDI were extremely well liked by owners as well as Sea Tow. They are now very inexpensive on the used market. Look for the 21 footer.

Single engine Diesel for the US East Coast is a good deal. The Intercoastal as well as numerous other places is a lot of fun and it does not have to be extremely expensive Check out the Beneteau 34 for the future of diesel cruising. Bob Perry has a custom Picnic Boat type that is designed for extremely good mpg on his web page. But there are many older Trawlers and other single engine diesel boats on the used market. Just google the boat and then the engine. Numerous web pages from current and past owners of these boats and yes they talk about carrying a sailboat.

Well it was nice to have you on Sailing Anarchy you will be missed. Enjoy your new friends on Power Boat Anarchy ~ "Where we are the Status Quo"

#22 Fiasco 1

Fiasco 1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Interests:Racing my Ross 930 (Interim)

Anarchy is not about a lack of rules.

Its about decreasing the rulers.

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:55 AM

I know that story exact same thing happened to me. Sold cruising Sailboat bought 37 ft power had that for 6 years. I spent my non power weekends as race crew on a local boat. When she became tired of the power boat and kids no longer wanted to go out i sold it. And bought myself the boat i always wanted to race. When you add up the Fuel, Batteries, Zincs, Props ect . Its just like buying new sails every two years. I fiqured as long as i was on the water who cares . Getting rid of her for sure means no boat.

#23 j24vt

j24vt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,855 posts
  • Interests:J24s

Posted 25 February 2012 - 03:58 AM

Noooooooooooooooooo

#24 jerseyguy

jerseyguy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 04:02 AM

Let your son invite a friend or two along to go sailing. He will have to show his friends all the cool things he knows and can do on the sailboat. With any luck, one or more of his friends will get bitten by the sailing bug and you will have the perfect excuse to keep the boat.

I had almost the same issue with my son (now 35) when he was a bit older than your son's age. No one in his school sailed but him. Hard to get your middle school friend interested in what you are doing when none of them do it. He invited a couple of friends along for a Wed night beer can race. He ran the foredeck while he friends watched in awe. One of them got interested enough to start crewing on a J-35 a year or two later.

#25 WarBird

WarBird

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 04:23 AM

Well it was nice to have you on Sailing Anarchy you will be missed.

Nice brush off....

#26 Cherie320

Cherie320

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • Interests:...

Posted 25 February 2012 - 04:24 AM

Family is king. Find a solution that works. Sounds like what your wife enjoys is the social interaction with your power boat friends. What is it you like? If it's the maintenance try looking at the wooden boat plywood solutions. If its the sailing you might try splitting up and rejoining at the destination......leave early and get there first. The old suggestion to trade your 33 in for two 16's might just be the ticket......or maybe two 20's if that works better. Good luck and maybe look on the bright side. Sounds like she still want's a boat.

#27 Black Jack

Black Jack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 04:42 AM

Interesteringly enough, he expressed his dominished his passion for sailing nor does he have the heartily support of his wife to continue in this fun but expensive endeavor.
I identify with him. He is a man of many interests and a young family. obviously he enjoys doing adventurous things. Perhaps he will return to sailing boat ownership. But a boat during baseball season, soccer practice, Wednesday nights and Saturday races take thier toll and time. and frankly given the fact our children have such a short time with us before they turn to adults, he should do what he can for balance.

sailing like golf, make most husbands absentee. very few families are willing to sacrifice for a day of sailing when there is so much more they all can do and experience.

#28 Bump-n-Grind

Bump-n-Grind

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,436 posts
  • Interests:Boats: J35, Chesapeake 20 ,Laser , 47' ChrisCraft Commander, Mainship 34, Volkl P10's 205's, Fischer Big Stix 185's, K2 Recons, K2 Xplorers, Rosi Phantoms, other boats and powder boards to be named later

Posted 25 February 2012 - 04:52 AM

I wish I had the ability to get rid of a boat before I bought another one :huh:
I just keep adding to the navy. J35, Mainship 34, Mako 22, 15.5 Whaler.. laser, rubber dingy.. yada yada yada... .. the Mainship 34 is a fun little cruiser. 2.5 -3 gals of deisel an hour tops..
the Mako sucks a lot a gas thru a 200 yamaha.
the funnest boat in the fleet is the whaler.. 70 evinrude on a 15' boat is almost too fast.

#29 B.J. Porter

B.J. Porter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,081 posts
  • Interests:Hallberg-Rassy 53 "Evenstar"

Posted 25 February 2012 - 05:29 AM

Sounds like you may be burned out on boating in general.

Maybe it's time to spend a season without a boat? Crew on others maybe, but take a vacation to the grand canyon or something else you can't do on a boat, learn to play golf, go on a fishing charter, charter a powerboat for a week, etc. etc. - get a taste of a boatless life and see how it feels. You may hate it and figure out what you want next for a boat. You may realize something else too in terms of where you are in life vis-a-vis boats.

Just a thought. Moving from a boat you are tired of to something expensive you aren't excited by may not end well.

#30 Dawg Gonit

Dawg Gonit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,073 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 05:42 AM

Power Boats are going for Pennies on the Dollar right now.

We are prepping an Albin 41 right now for shipping to Japan. Easily A $250K, Gorgeous boat with an immaculate interior, for $79,000 so I am told.

#31 bljones

bljones

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 25 February 2012 - 12:24 PM

Now you know why McGregor sells as many of those gawdammed things as they do.

#32 GMiller

GMiller

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:19 PM

I wish I had the ability to get rid of a boat before I bought another one :huh:
I just keep adding to the navy. J35, Mainship 34, Mako 22, 15.5 Whaler.. laser, rubber dingy.. yada yada yada... .. the Mainship 34 is a fun little cruiser. 2.5 -3 gals of deisel an hour tops..
the Mako sucks a lot a gas thru a 200 yamaha.
the funnest boat in the fleet is the whaler.. 70 evinrude on a 15' boat is almost too fast.

A man after my own heart. Ellis 28 flybridge, Lindenberg 26, Edgewater 200cc, sunfish x2, Bic O'pen, Hobie 16 plus several other "yard art" hulls in the yard.

#33 Black Jack

Black Jack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 02:12 PM

One more thought -
It might be time to change your focus and get the kids into it. as for you, A world of optis and other small sport boat sailing is a interesting pursuit for all the family. do you belong to a family friendly yacht club with a good youth sailing program? Having social inclusion with good amenities changes the boating dynamics. For example.. A pool, a bar, a fleet of club boats, dinners & bbq and nice families really make a good club. Having a power boat or sailboat then has other purposes.

#34 hobie17li

hobie17li

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 02:14 PM

Don't get a fxxxing Searay or other slimy piece of shit floating
winnabago. Get a nice Down East cruiser if you must.. Hinckley
picnic boats are nice if you got 1/2 a mil..
smaller boats like Parker are also nice. I prefer outboards
than IOs...keep sailing something: kiteboard, windsurf.
good luck. can't get my wife to go out on anything

#35 kent_island_sailor

kent_island_sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,537 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 05:41 PM

My 10 year old son talked a friend into doing Optis with him last summer. I spent 2 weeks anchored in front of the club watching them have a blast. Now the friend's father is bitching I ruined his son for powerboats and all he wants to do is sail :lol:

That said, you may want to do a little strategic thinking. A nice trawler type with some fun dinghies on deck or towing behind might work out well. Whatever you do - DO NOT GET AN I/O and DO NOT get a SeaWellBayLine POS boat that any true sailor would hate to be aboard for 5 seconds!

Also you really need to think on the fuel costs. My powerboating friends almost never raft with me because they can't afford the gas to go the places I go. They mostly stay at the dock if the boat is big or the small ones go in about a 10 mile radius of home port. In any size planing powerboat anything but the shortest trip is a multiple of $100 bills for gas :o I used to run a Hatteras 36 with twin Chrysler big blocks and it was like throwing gas over with a bucket. 20 GPH *per engine* if memory serves.

Here are a few powerboats that a sailor can look at without puking:
http://www.yachtworl...I/United-States
http://www.yachtworl...E/United-States
http://www.yachtworl...L/United-States
http://www.yachtworl...I/United-States

Obviously you have the whole Monk/Grand Banks/DeFever line to look at as well.
Bertram makes rock-solid sportfishing boats. The only real issue the gas ones have is ethanol disolves the integral fuel tanks.
http://www.yachtworl...J/United-States

I have NEVER been boat-less really ever in my entire life and can't imagine I ever could be. One of my earliest memories is steering one of those old mahogany antique Chris Craft boats at about age 3 sitting in my grandfather's lap and getting a little assistance to avoid hitting things B) Running my son and his friends to the Narrows for a burger in the dinghy beats ANYTHING I can think of on land that can be discussed in public ;)

#36 Animal Kingdom

Animal Kingdom

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 06:24 PM

The best power boat site I've found is thehulltruth.com - you should check it out. The forums there are kind of like SA (with fewer assholes) - pretty much every boat has been discussed at some point and there's lots of great advice.

Regarding I/Os vs. outboards - I agree with Kent if you're keeping it in the water. I think I/Os can be fine if kept on a trailer, although I do prefer OBs. I have a 90HP Yamaha two stroke OB on my 2003 Sea Pro 1800 CC - the motor is bulletproof and the boat is simple and easy to maintain. If you're interested in CCs, Parkers are among the best but pricey. Maycraft is a good mid-level boat that won't break the bank - 1900 is fairly roomy and there are very nice used ones around for $8-10K with Yammy 115s.

#37 Flying Wasp

Flying Wasp

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:51 PM

If you want something that has nice lines and is offshore capable, you can't go wrong with a Bertram 31. Lots of them on the market right now.

http://www.yachtworl...&url=&imc=pg-fs

I've got two little guys right now (3 yo and 6 months) and will be entering the sail vs power debate in the coming years. Really want them to learn how to sail, but also need to balance that with overall family fun factor. Not a fisherman at heart, but if the boys are into it and the wife wants to be on the water then that might be a new hobby I acquire.

#38 Corley

Corley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:18 PM

No mention of budget but another option you might consider is a powercat like a seawind or lightwave heaps of room onboard a flat platform for family living with a big sheltered cockpit and saloon and comfortable double berths. If the wife could be convinced maybe a motorsailer like the lightwave 47 they have good tankage for diesel, nice fitout and a 800km range at 15 knots you can also pull the sails up and enjoy the wind when it suits. The downside is you probably have to pay for a bigger slip but that would probably still be cheaper than paying for two?

#39 DRIFTW00D

DRIFTW00D

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,381 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:59 PM

Wife quit sail boat racing wanted to go Yellow Perch fishing ? We wanted a Whaler now we got a 13' SS 1985 and a real head turner a 16.5 ' Classic Nausent 1966 /88hp 1999

Johnson. So I crew on races when ever and we fish on days off .

#40 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,404 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:03 PM

When you're 9 you want to go fast on a big, noisy, powerful, power boat. I know I was the same way. Now however, if I had to choose between getting a powerboat and a racing sailboat it wouldn't be a question.

In fact, when I was 9 we started looking at boats for our family and I was all about the powerboats, sailboats were slow and boring to me; ultimately we wound up with a great runabout that was awesome for our family and has served us well. It's still a fine piece of boating hardware and is rock solid. That said if we did that same search today I would be lying if I said I wouldn't try to go for a racing sailboat.

So if your family wants a stinkpot... don't think it's the end and definitely go looking for one that makes everyone happy. Do everything you can to introduce your son to sailing on the side and see where his interests lay in a decade .

#41 jet 203

jet 203

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:18 AM

Went this route two years ago in the Fall. Been a sailor for 30 years and sold my beloved boat. Almost like new...but that's another long story. Bought a low hours Pursuit Denali 2460. Race on a 1D 35, cruise with friends on their Beneteau. We have fished, lots of family outings and the litle ones enjoys the cuddy cabin, wife enjoys the shade. Not a single regret. Cost for fuel...a lot less than the new sails and rigging that we put on yearly.

#42 Kent H

Kent H

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,860 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:29 AM

If you have or can get a truck to tow, buy a boat from a fresh water lake. Especially if you are going for an inboard outboard. But I agree with the others about a outboard especially a Yamaha. Volvo builds a inboard outboard that is used for their diesels and is intended for salt water. I do not know much about it but I suspect that the boats that these units are used on are outside your price range.

The remarks about not wanting to do upkeep or the other work sounds like a nearly new boat is for you. But do consider that suggestion about the Cape Dory 28 trawler. If the survey is good that could be a lot of fun. It could also end up costing a lot of cash if it needs an engine and transmission. Rebuilds are not cheap either!

A Bertram is another good choice. Just keep in mind that those are older boats. I think the last small Bertram was built over 20 years ago.

I like that Cape Dory 28!

#43 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,459 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:27 AM

A Bertram is another good choice. Just keep in mind that those are older boats. I think the last small Bertram was built over 20 years ago.

There is no such thing as a new one, but also no such thing as a cheap one. For that reason, it is actually economically viable to rebuild them, and many have been. There are better than new ones out there. They are REALLY not cheap. I can't name another production powerboat that holds value as well.

#44 hermetic

hermetic

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:08 PM

There is no such thing as a new one, but also no such thing as a cheap one. For that reason, it is actually economically viable to rebuild them, and many have been. There are better than new ones out there. They are REALLY not cheap. I can't name another production powerboat that holds value as well.

Hunt. Mine is worth amost exactly what I paid for it 6 years ago.

#45 From the Helm

From the Helm

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 04:27 PM

If you are comparing costs of racing a sailboat, then cruising it, compared to just running a powerboat and racing on other peoples boats, a 1 MPG powerboat doesn't cost that much to run for a season. Yes you will have $2500-3500 in gas for a summer, but then if you buy a new racing sail every year and go 1500 miles a year on your sailboat the cost per mile is just insane. So look at cost per hour....that doesn't work either, powerboats are not running all the time.

I found running my 33 pursuit with twin 300 HPDi's (35 knot VMG) was not that expensive in the yearly budget, they needed nothing in 350 hours of running other than fuel. You don't wear out blocks, sheets, halyards.......then you have the vacu-flush head (no odor no instructions needed) the huge ass cockpit for 10 people to hang around in, the ability to just go when and where you want. A boat that stays flat for all the non-sailors on the guest list. All good things.

My kids think jumping off the hard top is more fun than jumping from a halyard, though now that they are older they like racing sailboats more than powerboats.

Finally, you will be so much better at the seamanship part of powerboating than 90% of the other powerboats you can set a good example.

#46 aja

aja

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:36 PM

Some details I didn't mention include that we already own a Whaler outrage 18 And while the wife first thought to sell that and own both the sailboat and a power boat big enough to cruise, I cannot stand that additional maintenance and having that much $$$ tied up in boats so the one being piicked seems to be the power boat for now. When the dust clears I expect our budget to be around $60-70k so hopefully we can do something reasonable with that in a buyers market.

Meanwhile my signature tag line seems to fit the situation well so time will tell where it all ends up.

#47 Rusty

Rusty

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 05:47 AM

As a life long sailor who has been rocking a stink potter for the last 4 years, I thought I'd pass along some thoughts. First of all, while i empathize with your plight, fret not - it ain't all that bad.

Some context, I have a Pursuit 2870 (see pic). It's a been a great boat and has served my family and friends very well.

Some highlights:

Turns out that that the features that make a good fishing boat make for an excellent race spectating/support boat. That which keeps fish/bait fresh, keeps drinks cold. Secondly, having a power boat suddenly makes you very popular with your sailing brothers and sisters. You mentioned that you have an 18' Whaler so you probably understand. Showing to up to the sailing/yacht club with your own power boat is like being the first one of your friends to get a pick up truck - suddenly everyone has a piano to move. Fuel - well, there's no way to sugar coat it - fuel costs. But you get the right power plant and use some common sense and you can mitigate spending more than you have to. I can tell you this - I spent less on fuel for my dual, 4 stroke outboards than friends of mine spent on sails for their J24. The convenience that comes with power might get you out on the water more - never a bad thing.

And finally, just because you're getting a power boat, doesn't mean that your buddies are following suit. You can still can your sailing/racing fix on OPBs (other people's boats).

In the interests of full disclosure, it's probably worth mentioning that we are selling our Pursuit to make room for our next boat - a G&T 30-something keel boat. But if money was not a consideration, I'd keep our power boat. It's been a tonne of fun.

+1 on the recommendation of Pursuit. Excellent boats. Also - another +1 for the Hull Truth. Great resource for researching boats, etc. Good luck on your hunt.

Attached Files

#48 Flying Fish

Flying Fish

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Interests:the next boat

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:43 PM

To AJA - the original poster. All good ideas in the prior posts but the main things to consider are how will you use the boat? If you only plan on overnighting three times a summer then give it up and go smaller. If you want to overnight all the time then you need air conditioning, genertor, etc.

It sounds like you have many other hobbies as do many of us. I have gone the big boat route and the small boat route, power and sail and like many posted here still own many boats at the same time.

My biggest piece of advice? Go for quality and go for the smallest your wife will agree to. The most fun boat owners have had (in powerboats) is their smallest boat. A prior post mentioned a 15 footer with a large engine. A 9 year old (and his buddies) want to crab, ski, tube, wakeboard, fish, etc and preferably on their own without dad. A 23 foot boat with a single 250 outboard on the stern is tough to beat for all around fun. Pursuit is a great boat. I have two gradys but they are balsa cored and over priced.

If you have to go with the larger boat you better buy a 13 foot whaler for your son to run around in or he will get bored real quick and spend his time down below with some electronic game. I would also buy him a laser and rig it somehow to the boat. You will enjoy it also.

So buy small, use your other toys, and buy quality. Go with an outboard with digital controls and buy lots of inflatable toys.

#49 prozak

prozak

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 01:07 PM

Sell the wife. Keep the boat.

#50 Squalamax

Squalamax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 01:12 PM

This is exactly what I did last summer. Sold the 30' racer cruiser because the family wasn't spending much time on it, and I didn't need a boat that big for beer can racing and the rare overnight. I put half the money into an 18' center console fishing boat, which has worked out great. My 6 year old son and I fished off it almost every weekend after we bought it last summer, we took friends out for rides, explored local creeks, etc. No regrets at all. I think I spent about $80 in gas which is a bummer but I can live with it.

WRT what kind of boat, depends on what you'll do with it. CCs are good all purpose boats and hold their values best. Dual consoles/bow riders are more comfortable for more people, but not as good for fishing if that's your thing. Don't bother with a cuddy unless you plan to sleep on it - takes up too much room. PM me if you want advice on builders, etc.

BTW, still have the other half of the money I got out of the last sailboat and am shopping for my next beer can racer now. Hopefully I can have it both ways.......

$80 in gas? Did you ever leave the harbor? When I had my 20 foot center console, it was at least $100 every time we went out.

I do agree with the above poster that sails ARE more expensive than gas. I read an article once that sailors(although claiming to be thrfty), actually spend more on their boats than comparable power boaters do.

I suggest keep the sailboat, and get a 20-22 foot center console to blast out to meet your friends quickly and easily.

#51 Squalamax

Squalamax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 01:20 PM

Sounds like you may be burned out on boating in general.

Maybe it's time to spend a season without a boat? Crew on others maybe, but take a vacation to the grand canyon or something else you can't do on a boat, learn to play golf, go on a fishing charter, charter a powerboat for a week, etc. etc. - get a taste of a boatless life and see how it feels. You may hate it and figure out what you want next for a boat. You may realize something else too in terms of where you are in life vis-a-vis boats.

Just a thought. Moving from a boat you are tired of to something expensive you aren't excited by may not end well.

+1000. I think you hit the nail on the head.

#52 kent_island_sailor

kent_island_sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,537 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 01:50 PM

Just an aside:
Sails vs. gas the way you guys figure it is like comparing the costs of running an Indy 500 car to a custom Harley and deciding the Harley is cheaper and therefore a used civic is also way more expensive than a custom bike to run. :rolleyes:
Outside of racing, people buy sails that last for a DECADE or more, not a year or two. Do you thing a 1999 Catalina is on her 5th or 10th set of sails. I would guess 99% are on the 1st or 2nd.

As for gas, I guess I go places and think a bit different, but anything outside of the smallest powerboats use a shitload of gas which is now on track to be over $4/gal by April. My friends 22 foot powerboat holds 50 gallons - so say $150/$200 - and that will easily be gone in one weekend if you go anyplace. Shit - my DINGHY goes through 20 gallons or more a year.

#53 Omer

Omer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:15 PM

Buy the powerboat but keep the sailboat. When your son grows a bit older, you shall need your own space.If he takes on sailing, he will adopt the sailboat and bash it around. If he doesnt, then you will have a boat to sail while he is off to the horizon with a bunch of friends.

#54 Lee G

Lee G

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 04:56 PM

When you're 9 you want to go fast on a big, noisy, powerful, power boat. I know I was the same way. Now however, if I had to choose between getting a powerboat and a racing sailboat it wouldn't be a question.

In fact, when I was 9 we started looking at boats for our family and I was all about the powerboats, sailboats were slow and boring to me; ultimately we wound up with a great runabout that was awesome for our family and has served us well. It's still a fine piece of boating hardware and is rock solid. That said if we did that same search today I would be lying if I said I wouldn't try to go for a racing sailboat.

So if your family wants a stinkpot... don't think it's the end and definitely go looking for one that makes everyone happy. Do everything you can to introduce your son to sailing on the side and see where his interests lay in a decade .

Wow, such a change of heart in only a year?

I prefer owning a small center console (21 ft), because it is so much less of a pain in the ass to hop on board with a bunch of novices after work for a quick run around the sound. There are plenty of other peoples sailboats out there for me to play on.

Edit - if I had your budget, I would be looking at a Fortier 26. I LOVE the lines on those things, and will own one someday.

#55 trenace

trenace

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,282 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 05:14 PM

My biggest piece of advice? Go for quality and go for the smallest your wife will agree to. The most fun boat owners have had (in powerboats) is their smallest boat.

I would agree 100%

#56 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,204 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 05:26 PM

My biggest piece of advice? Go for quality and go for the smallest your wife will agree to. The most fun boat owners have had (in powerboats) is their smallest boat.

I concur...

#57 kent_island_sailor

kent_island_sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,537 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 05:35 PM

It depends.
The gap between the weather that was miserable in my 16 foot I/O and the weather that was miserable in my 18 foot Grady White covered a LOT of trips in my area. It was amazing what the extra 2 feet did for you.
I'd still have the 18 if the engine hadn't put a rod through the block :( on Christmas day :o

#58 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,204 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 05:54 PM

No doubt 18-22 is a lot more comfortable then 16',but it also depends on the hull...had a 18' custom aluminum power dory that handled that the knarly stuff pretty well...when the wind would be kicking up and many headed for the comfort of a marina...that boat handled the conditions well.

Had a bud back in the day who had a 20' tri-hull...now that baby could handle the steep chop well at speed...try that in a single hull 18-20' and you'll pound the floorboards and your fillings loose.

#59 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,204 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:02 PM

Small boats both power and sail are a lot of fun,especially to me right around 24-26'...if I was getting a power boat for cruising,I would want something bigger,ideally at least 32-34'...if it was just the wife and I cruising,the minimum I would want would be about 28',but preferably larger.

#60 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,459 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:20 PM

... anything outside of the smallest powerboats use a shitload of gas which is now on track to be over $4/gal by April. My friends 22 foot powerboat holds 50 gallons - so say $150/$200

The Cowmaran is changing that math. 27 feet and holds 9 gallons = about 10 hrs = about 100 nm.

Posted Image

#61 trenace

trenace

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,282 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:44 PM

Bieker has a really interesting, efficient powerboat: http://www.biekerboa...s/PT_Skiff.html

Posted Image

For a 25 footer, http://www.biekerboa.../25_Footer.html

Posted Image

Of course, there's no competing with used prices, but Paul could have you covered here too: http://www.biekerboa...Boats/Nemo.html

Posted Image

#62 the_abandoned_brane

the_abandoned_brane

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,207 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:21 AM

Power Boats are going for Pennies on the Dollar right now.

yep. too costly to run. a friend has a 35' carver with twin 502s. 2 gallons per mile cruising. he doesnt leave the dock very often anymore.

Don't get a fxxxing Searay or other slimy piece of shit floating
winnabago.

the pre brunswick sea rays were great boats. well designed and built. I had my old amberjack in 7 footers and never got wet.

the moppies are legendary.

others to look at are tiara and rampage. the tiara opens were my dream boat when I was into power boating.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users