• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Q'z

Q'z

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 07:02 PM

The 2012 Stonington to Boothbay Harbor Race will occur Friday July 27, 2012 through July 31, 2012.

This Category 2 Ocean Race starts off Stonington, CT and proceeds around Cape Cod and Nantucket Shoal and finishes off Burnt Island near Boothbay Harbor, ME.

This year represents the third running of the race which has become known as The Lobster Run! The race is sponsored by The Corinthian Endowment Fund, with host facilities at Stonington Harbor Yacht Club and Boothbay Harbor Yacht Club.

The Notice of Race and Registration details are available at
www.lobsterrun.org . Please check us out!

#2 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,225 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 07:52 PM

This seems like a cool race to do but conflicts with the Around MV Race for me this year :(

#3 mr_ryano

mr_ryano

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,967 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:24 PM

This seems like a cool race to do but conflicts with the Around MV Race for me this year :(

It's a very fun race. Wish it would catch on with more of the racing fleet. As of now, it's mostly cruisers

#4 Christian

Christian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,331 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:29 AM

It's a very fun race. Wish it would catch on with more of the racing fleet. As of now, it's mostly cruisers

Yeah - damn those cigar smoking Bostonians and the mouse infested sail inventories one gets to witness on this summer excursion.

But damn - the weather can be kinda cool

Posted Image

#5 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,225 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 02:25 AM

I would like to think that there's hope for a more active racing fleet what with Dragon and Blazer racing previously.

My grandfather was a Corinthian for most of his life, organized the annual cruise a few times (I want to say 2000?). I've toyed with the idea of applying for Junior membership some day and do the race in his memory.

#6 mr_ryano

mr_ryano

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,967 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:44 PM

Yeah - damn those cigar smoking Bostonians and the mouse infested sail inventories one gets to witness on this summer excursion.

Posted Image

Can we do it on Wanda this year?

#7 Christian

Christian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,331 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:55 AM

Posted Image

Can we do it on Wanda this year?

Yeah - double handed

#8 mr_ryano

mr_ryano

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,967 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 02:05 AM

I'm game if you are

#9 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,155 posts
  • Interests:My ride: An OCD designed Class 40

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:28 PM

Dragon is planning on doing it again. Gotta defend the title.

Ryano - I know I owe you an email. Sorry, been a bit busy. Junior has also been out of the country and just got back, in case you have been trying to get in touch with him.

#10 tiptonav

tiptonav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Interests:Blowing things up with my mind, making carbon into anything and everything I can in an attempt to have an indestructible house.

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:35 PM

+1 on it being a great race, had a blast with it in 2010!

#11 redboat

redboat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,278 posts
  • Interests:none

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:57 PM

Any prospect of opening it up to Class Mini's? Might be a good course for them, unless of course a stinky Northeaster is blowing. But that wouldn't be fun for anyone.

#12 Samba301

Samba301

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:02 PM

The "yacht eligibitly" requirments are pretty ridiculous. No?

So is my spelling...

#13 Samba301

Samba301

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:17 PM

I'm sorry, if I had actually read all of the NOR I would have seen 3.2b....there's hope!

#14 Greyhawk

Greyhawk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts
  • Interests:cruising and racing on the Gulf of Maine and beyond

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:09 AM

Samba,

It is a fun race.

Did it in 2010 with crew; we were the only boat FROM Boothbay Harbor in the race.

#15 Alec McC

Alec McC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Interests:family, exercise, reading, music, soccer, too many hobbies...

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:21 AM

I remember that! But it was on the way back from Halifax!
-Alec

Posted Image

#16 Greyhawk

Greyhawk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:25 AM

Greyhawk is in! double-handed phrf -- who are we racing against?

#17 Greyhawk

Greyhawk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:22 AM

The countdown clock says 10 days and change before the start of this race, and my question from 4 months ago remains -- who are we racing against?

#18 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,155 posts
  • Interests:My ride: An OCD designed Class 40

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:27 PM

Unfortunately, not Dragon. Still figuring out what I am going to do about the sprit I broke in Newport Bermuda.

Greyhawk - let me know if you need any help with logistics in Mystic / Stonington.

#19 No.6

No.6

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,064 posts
  • Interests:Danger

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:13 PM

The Corinthians, their membership, used to be very active in racing. That has faded over the past 30 years.

My grandfather was a Corinthian for most of his life, organized the annual cruise a few times (I want to say 2000?). I've toyed with the idea of applying for Junior membership some day and do the race in his memory.

Bill Thomas is your grandfather?

If you are seriously thinking about joining, let my know a couple of months in advance so I can have my membership reinstated......

so I can blackball you!

#20 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,225 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 03:10 AM

The Corinthians, their membership, used to be very active in racing. That has faded over the past 30 years.

Bill Thomas is your grandfather?

If you are seriously thinking about joining, let my know a couple of months in advance so I can have my membership reinstated......

so I can blackball you!

My grandfather was Emmett Eaton.

Normally I would say that I don't want to join any club that would have you but not one which was so close to a loved one's heart.

#21 No.6

No.6

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,064 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:54 AM

Emmett was your grandad? Wow. My father (and I) were good friends with Emmett. So your mom is an Eaton? I'll bet I have known her from back in the 70's then.
Small world.

#22 'moondance44

'moondance44

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,165 posts
  • Location:Dodgy Bit Of Stamford, CT and The Cows, Graveyard of LIS where bluefish get blown off wire leaders

Posted 18 July 2012 - 03:33 PM

Emmett was your grandad? Wow. My father (and I) were good friends with Emmett. So your mom is an Eaton? I'll bet I have known her from back in the 70's then.
Small world.

this could get ugly

#23 No.6

No.6

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,064 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:29 PM

He has gone awfully quiet.

#24 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,225 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 11:41 AM

I've actually been racing for the past few days rather than shit flinging on SA. Amazing isn't it?

Yes, Emmett was my Granddad. He seemed to be able to make friends with everyone so I'm not surprised that he counted you and your father among his friends

#25 Greyhawk

Greyhawk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:02 PM

Back to the race in question, a preliminary participants list has finally been published, although they are still trying to sort out who is PHRF vs. ORR and Spinnaker vs. Non-Spinnaker (just over a week to go...)

#26 No.6

No.6

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,064 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:17 PM

Good luck to all.
GO GADZOOKS!

#27 No.6

No.6

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,064 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 03:47 PM

I've actually been racing for the past few days rather than shit flinging on SA. Amazing isn't it?

Yes, Emmett was my Granddad. He seemed to be able to make friends with everyone so I'm not surprised that he counted you and your father among his friends

You shouldn't throw your grandfather under the bus so quickly.

#28 Greyhawk

Greyhawk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:41 AM

We're going to be beating into it hard on the nose tomorrow into Tuesday to get the boat down to Connecticut for this race :( But some really great racing up here in Boothbay Harbor this weekend! (There should be a prize for best combined performance in the BHYC Regatta and the Lobster Run -- would probably go to Panache this year).

#29 Q'z

Q'z

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:11 PM

The Corinthians are still a very active bunch, but I will admit that most of the beards have a touch of grey. I was pleased to see them take the steps to create a Cat 2 race a few years back., and it has attracted some young blood.
Looks like this years race will launch with about 15 yachts, participants are listed on the website and the race's Facebook page.
P.S. Emmett Eaton was a great guy, and he is deeply missed by the Corinthians, and most everyone it appears.
Q'z

#30 Greyhawk

Greyhawk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 07:07 PM

Sorry GREYHAWK had to drop out before the race started. We ran hard into a rock on the way down. Not sure yet what the damage is to the keel -- diver said "a big chunk" was missing -- but fortunately the hull (frames, floors, etc...) is intact (a very rugged build). We nursed the boat back home while we had favorable winds, although they died before we got here, so we finally got back in late yesterday evening. Independently, our engine started leaking diesel into the bilges in a big way, so we've got our work cut out for us to get the boat back into race shape... Good luck to the fleet, we'll be watching you on the tracker. (Go Apparition!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users