3834 replies to this topic

#1101 mad

mad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,023 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:19 PM

Amazed that all skippers don't spend some amount of time in the shed before leaving, must make life easier when having to carry out repairs. Especially if you can't get shore support.

from my understanding, most skippers are very involved in the preps/ refit of the boat for this very reason. these guys all seemed pretty knowledgeable on how their boat was put together and how to fix it when it breaks, but it's still gotta be nice to consult with your team's own composite engineer, electrical engineer, etc etc

If you say so? Let's hope that's as bad as it gets.

#1102 forss

forss

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:47 PM

Mybe I missed the official announcement, but is Gutek heading for Madeira to get sorted? Otherwise his track is 90 degrees off.

wondering same thing

Still fixing the kite wrap round the forestay I guess.

Gutek fixed the kite mess and now heading to east because of the wind direction. That what I read from polish facebook page (rough bing translation)
He also updated autopilot software, but not sure if autopilot works correctly now.

#1103 ronnie_simpson

ronnie_simpson

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts
  • Interests:i break boats

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:34 PM

He also updated autopilot software, but not sure if autopilot works correctly now.

yeah, if you're good, you can store the file for software updates on your laptop and transfer via a USB cable to the B&G autopilot brain. You can also get pretty good at calibrating instruments, etc, on the fly, using outside aides like GPS and stuff. One of the biggest problems he might have is being able to "swing" the compass since the boat has no access to an engine, with which to drive large, smooth circles. the AP will lose a very significant amount of performance if you don't swing the compass when re-calibrating/ updating. Wonder how Gutek will try to solve this. Anyone know of any fancy tricks?

#1104 Icedtea

Icedtea

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:47 PM

Have to feel for Gutek... seems like a great guy who's stuck just trying to get around!

#1105 nkb

nkb

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Interests:Mostly ocean racing.

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:52 PM

Have to feel for Gutek... seems like a great guy who's stuck just trying to get around!

They are ALL great guys just trying to get around....

#1106 Icedtea

Icedtea

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:57 PM

They are ALL great guys just trying to get around....

Very true, but every obstacle in the world has popped up in front of the guy...

#1107 nkb

nkb

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Interests:Mostly ocean racing.

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:15 AM

http://www.dailymoti...=1#.UKo26nBTNRQ

The great tiller mending on Hugo Boss

It's like rolling sushi at 19 knots.

AT seems pretty unfazed which is cool to see. Go The Boss.

(damn hydros)

I'm sorry but I'm not so impressed.
If you can't fix something as simple as it (putting back together 2 broken pieces with some glue and some carbon) you should not go for a Vendee Globe.
Okay, at 18 knots, it must be pretty shaky, but it's not as amazing as they are selling it
However, good job still

Wow you guys are fucking harsh. I'd love to see someone else do the same repair and make it look perfect. Ok, so he's not a composite expert, he still made the repair whilst the boat was keeping up decent speed and keeping up as the only 'older' boat with the new generation team.

I have no idea why there is this 'we hate Alex' BS but you all should give it a rest and respect the guy for doing what he does. He has kept the same sponsor since 2003, he has promoted the IMOCA class throughout that time and he keeps his sponsor happy regardless of disappointing racing results.

Is anyone going to wake up to the fact that this is one team who know how to give their sponsor enough ROI before the race starts that no matter what happens during the race, HB are happy with the result.

Fuck.

Go Alex. You deserve it.

#1108 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,162 posts
  • Interests:My ride: An OCD designed Class 40

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:30 AM

(damn hydros)

If you can't fix something as simple as it (putting back together 2 broken pieces with some glue and some carbon) you should not go for a Vendee Globe.
Okay, at 18 knots, it must be pretty shaky, but it's not as amazing as they are selling it
However, good job still

Wow you guys are fucking harsh. I'd love to see someone else do the same repair and make it look perfect. Ok, so he's not a composite expert, he still made the repair whilst the boat was keeping up decent speed and keeping up as the only 'older' boat with the new generation team.

I have no idea why there is this 'we hate Alex' BS but you all should give it a rest and respect the guy for doing what he does. He has kept the same sponsor since 2003, he has promoted the IMOCA class throughout that time and he keeps his sponsor happy regardless of disappointing racing results.

Is anyone going to wake up to the fact that this is one team who know how to give their sponsor enough ROI before the race starts that no matter what happens during the race, HB are happy with the result.

Fuck.

Go Alex. You deserve it.

Amen. This place gets a bad case of Tall Poppy when it comes to AT. Kinda funny for a bunch of internet tough guys.

#1109 Trickypig

Trickypig

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,913 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:34 AM

(damn hydros)

However, good job still

Fuck.

Go Alex. You deserve it.

I just read what they wrote and they weren't `fucking harsh' .... sheesh.

I think most of us were thinking, I could-a done that... nothing too hard or `amazing' about it. That's all.

#1110 GnarlyItWas

GnarlyItWas

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:13 AM

How many of you thought I could do that. I'll admit it. If I was alone on an IMOCA at 20kts I would paralized with fear, eyes like dinner plates and wouldn't move from the tiller or mainsheet.

I probably could carry out the tiller bar repair in workshop and yes I would need e-mailed instructions.

#1111 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,487 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:07 AM

Amen. This place gets a bad case of Tall Poppy when it comes to AT. Kinda funny for a bunch of internet tough guys.

Talked to Alex about just that; he's not bothered. Go look at how many facebook fans he has compared to the rest of the fleet; the simple fact is that if you put yourself out there, the detractors are never far behind. AT has definitely put himself out there; he knows what that means.

We both laughed at the reality behind something Tracy Morgan said. "I'll start worrying when they stop talking shit about me."

#1112 popo

popo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • Interests:sailing of course

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:52 AM

Are you people able to read ?
where in the hell did I critisized AT ?
I just find that the fixing as been oversold by the race organisation or AT's Team. ("Amazing Repair", and the way they were psyched up at the vacation with it)
Never said I would have done better or even that I could have done it.

#1113 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,307 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:56 AM

Talked to Alex about just that; he's not bothered. Go look at how many facebook fans he has compared to the rest of the fleet; the simple fact is that if you put yourself out there, the detractors are never far behind. AT has definitely put himself out there; he knows what that means.

We both laughed at the reality behind something Tracy Morgan said. "I'll start worrying when they stop talking shit about me."

I like that, I'm borrowing it.

#1114 onimod

onimod

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts
  • Interests:Cannot be left blank

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:29 AM

overnight (FR time): Riou on a ladder and Stamm on on a snake
Armel continuing on out front but leaving the inside open for a pass

#1115 DtM

DtM

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:34 AM

Somewhere I read that Gutek fixed his kite issue from the deck which must have been a great blessing with everything else he has to deal with.

#1116 Potter

Potter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:43 AM

(damn hydros)

However, good job still

agree...funny he needed assistance by his technical team for this repair

not wanting to stir shit, just wanting to learn.... how is that not considered outside assistance?

It is an oddity of the Vendee, they do not like the skippers to talk about getting help from their technical team, but everyone does it. There was a case of Mich Desj getting advice on how to set up a pulley system, he then gybed the boat to jump start his engine...his boat captain was one Vincent Riou!

Basically if they could not ask for technical advice then even less of them would finish.

#1117 onimod

onimod

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts
  • Interests:Cannot be left blank

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:59 AM

5 sailors appear to have decided a race restart is in order.
Armel Le Cléac'h seems not to have received an invitation.

#1118 Presuming Ed

Presuming Ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,034 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:11 AM

...He has kept the same sponsor since 2003, he has promoted the IMOCA class throughout that time and he keeps his sponsor happy....

Absolutely.

#1119 Presuming Ed

Presuming Ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,034 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:31 AM

Go look at how many facebook fans he has compared to the rest of the fleet

Not sure I can be bothered to find out, but I wonder if he has more fans than the rest of the fleet put together. And how that calculation looks for twitter / youtube.

#1120 steinbrenner

steinbrenner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Interests:comics

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:49 AM

It is an oddity of the Vendee, they do not like the skippers to talk about getting help from their technical team, but everyone does it. There was a case of Mich Desj getting advice on how to set up a pulley system, he then gybed the boat to jump start his engine...his boat captain was one Vincent Riou!

Basically if they could not ask for technical advice then even less of them would finish.

i tought this kind of help was in some way regulated by race rules, so allowed, and only not allowed was taking physical assistance from outside as well as receiving weather forecast files beside official ones?

#1121 steinbrenner

steinbrenner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:53 AM

another video by beyou :

http://www.dailymoti...rt#.UKkKYnBTNRQ

"The boat is filling with water, the pumps are in action, and it was very hard so we really need to make a stop.

It's the life."

His team said that piece should never broke as it is designed for 120 tons pressure, and it's never submitted to more than 40 tons.

evn if he can secure the keel, he should'nt meet the vendee requirement to be able to recover with the keel if the boat capsizes.

the part was revised last winter and was ok.

Pumps are working non stop and they can barely cope with the flux of water

somebody to know what about boats not having canting keel? i think team plastique doesn't have it, so how can she pass the capsize test if she can not move the keel?

#1122 Presuming Ed

Presuming Ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,034 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:55 AM

AIUI, normal method for fixed keel boats to pass the capsize test is by filling ballast tanks.

#1123 Terrorvision

Terrorvision

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,843 posts
  • Interests:Taking 'the' out of Psychotherapist

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:27 AM

Are you people able to read ?
where in the hell did I critisized AT ?
I just find that the fixing as been oversold by the race organisation or AT's Team. ("Amazing Repair", and the way they were psyched up at the vacation with it)
Never said I would have done better or even that I could have done it.

Popo- it is not just your quote that led to the comments about AT. Over the course of the last few years there have been many comments about his ability to finish a race or get results. Don't take it personally!

Reality is that AT is the only skipper that can trace his timeline back almost 10 years with the same sponsor and one of the few that has managed to steal headlines at a golf tournament!

#1124 Presuming Ed

Presuming Ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,034 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:29 AM

not wanting to stir shit, just wanting to learn.... how is that not considered outside assistance?

I guess they're not overly worried about it, because even with all the advice in the world, the bloke on the boat still has to do all the work. The one area where they are explicit is in banning external routing, because that is an area where you can actually do the work off the boat.

#1125 Cyrille Hydrogene

Cyrille Hydrogene

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:53 AM

another video by beyou :

http://www.dailymoti...rt#.UKkKYnBTNRQ

"The boat is filling with water, the pumps are in action, and it was very hard so we really need to make a stop.

It's the life."

His team said that piece should never broke as it is designed for 120 tons pressure, and it's never submitted to more than 40 tons.

evn if he can secure the keel, he should'nt meet the vendee requirement to be able to recover with the keel if the boat capsizes.

the part was revised last winter and was ok.

Pumps are working non stop and they can barely cope with the flux of water

somebody to know what about boats not having canting keel? i think team plastique doesn't have it, so how can she pass the capsize test if she can not move the keel?

The lack of power (a consequence of the fixed keel) is very well illustrated on François Chevalier illustration of the 20 boats at the start of the race:
http://chevaliertagl...queurs-des.html
Posted Image

#1126 Damers

Damers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:13 AM

(damn hydros)

However, good job still

Fuck.

Go Alex. You deserve it.

That's the reality of it. Just envious because of his shiny sponsorship and marketing team. People fail to realise how much hard work it takes to get (and continuing hard work to maintain) loyal sponsors.

I've been impressed with him this edition and have him for a podium.

#1127 moody frog

moody frog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,662 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:19 AM

11.00 GMT Poll,

5 boats within 1.5 NM (2 to 6, Riou, Thomson, Gabart, Dick & Stamm) !

Talk about close racing !

(even with one 2007 boat ;))

#1128 Damers

Damers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:41 AM

Big back coming by the looks of the VG weather files. Armel needs to harden up soon or he wil be sailing extra miles and upwind.

Hell of a restart for the others. Only 13nm separation.

#1129 Big Show

Big Show

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,389 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:55 PM

Popo. We can read. As a few noted, people love to pile on AT so perhaps there exists some defensiveness there.

However, for these guys a tiller arm repair doing 20knots is all in a day's work. That's what amazing people do. Make situations like this look everyday.

The truth is - it's all @#$%ing amazing isn't it?

As for Boss' PR machine... That's their job. And good on them.

#1130 Big Show

Big Show

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,389 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:58 PM

Man what a race! The five of them are so tight I think we're going to need an umpire boat. "Pardon me, have you any Grey Poupon?"

Anyone know how the COLREGS work should these boats come together? Starboard over port... And?

#1131 popo

popo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:26 PM

the three grandpa's (Le Cam, Wavre and Golding) are cathing up nicely too !

edit :

Yeah, nice try to "Sam Daviessing" yourself, but it was really better with her !

#1132 Speng

Speng

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,172 posts
  • Interests:stuff with sails

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:49 PM

The hydrogenerators are all produced by Watt & Sea.

They make two models, one they call "Crusing" and one "Rracing". The weight difference between the two is 1 kilo, so not so large. The major difference is that the Racing version has a dynamically pitched prop that is controlled based on the boat speed. The cruising version (which I and most of the Class 40's have) will match demand around 4 or 5 knots of boat speed, start to throw off excess power at 5+ knots of boat speed and top out production at about 12 knots of boat speed. I made it across the Atlantic without having to run the engine for anything other than throwing off some heat when we were off Newfoundland.

There is a crazy amount of pressure that wants to cause the leg to kick up. To give you some perspective - I have a 24:1 purchase system to haul the leg into place before it gets locked off on a Spinlock PXR clutch. While I am a huge fan of the hydrogenerator, I would be the first to tell you that the mounting system is a challenge and every owner seems to have come up with their own solution. I am on gen 2 of my own mounting solution and we are coming up with gen 3.

I have a sneaking suspicion that what happened to Alex was that he had deployed the generator, and that it was not properly locked down or that the haul down line parted. The leg kicked up as a result, and in getting kicked up it came into contact with the rudder tie bar.

Yeah the Racing model looks like overkill - hydraulically pitched blades (?!). A more cost effective alternative is just to have a couple different props for different speeds. I reckon you probably can't handle the power when youre doing much over 15 knots anyway because a fixed pitch prop makes power on a cubic curve... I prefer the look of the Duogen if i was going to kit out my hypothetical fast cruising cat (That new 47 foot Chris White... sigh). I like the idea of the same kit for wind and water. As far a holding the thing down you could try a slightly pitched down airfoil on the leg to help resist the load on whatever hold down mechanism (and if it fails it might help prevent it banging up).

#1133 forss

forss

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:08 PM

IMOCA60 is just 60 foot laser

Posted Image

#1134 popo

popo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:13 PM

she found a "First Class 8" seven meters mast on a crashed boat in a port north from Funchal.
She said that it's really important for her to come back by sea, with her boat.
It's both for her sailor's sensitivity and to keep her active, so she doesn't watch the race's ranking and keep a good mood

(might also help to keep the sponsor happy, as long as she's at sea, people will keep speaking of her)

#1135 Speng

Speng

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,172 posts
  • Interests:stuff with sails

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:42 PM

yeah too bad Sam's out it's definitely the lattitude of little clothes. Unfortunately it's hairy geezers in banana hammocks... As long an none of them does a Conrad Humphries (IIRC) and sends in a bare ass video.

#1136 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,487 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:48 PM

The hydrogenerators are all produced by Watt & Sea.

They make two models, one they call "Crusing" and one "Rracing". The weight difference between the two is 1 kilo, so not so large. The major difference is that the Racing version has a dynamically pitched prop that is controlled based on the boat speed. The cruising version (which I and most of the Class 40's have) will match demand around 4 or 5 knots of boat speed, start to throw off excess power at 5+ knots of boat speed and top out production at about 12 knots of boat speed. I made it across the Atlantic without having to run the engine for anything other than throwing off some heat when we were off Newfoundland.

There is a crazy amount of pressure that wants to cause the leg to kick up. To give you some perspective - I have a 24:1 purchase system to haul the leg into place before it gets locked off on a Spinlock PXR clutch. While I am a huge fan of the hydrogenerator, I would be the first to tell you that the mounting system is a challenge and every owner seems to have come up with their own solution. I am on gen 2 of my own mounting solution and we are coming up with gen 3.

I have a sneaking suspicion that what happened to Alex was that he had deployed the generator, and that it was not properly locked down or that the haul down line parted. The leg kicked up as a result, and in getting kicked up it came into contact with the rudder tie bar.

Yeah the Racing model looks like overkill - hydraulically pitched blades (?!). A more cost effective alternative is just to have a couple different props for different speeds. I reckon you probably can't handle the power when youre doing much over 15 knots anyway because a fixed pitch prop makes power on a cubic curve... I prefer the look of the Duogen if i was going to kit out my hypothetical fast cruising cat (That new 47 foot Chris White... sigh). I like the idea of the same kit for wind and water. As far a holding the thing down you could try a slightly pitched down airfoil on the leg to help resist the load on whatever hold down mechanism (and if it fails it might help prevent it banging up).

The W&S hydrogenerateur is so much more efficient in terms of power vs. drag and overall power compared to any other hydro-powered generator that it's not even a valid comparison. You'd only use another brand if you were going <6 knots a lot of the time. There's a reason that the O60 fleet finally adopted hydrogens on a fleetwide basis even though basic hydro units have been around for decades; Bestaven's W&S units truly are a quantum leap forward in the realm of high-speed power generation.

#1137 Foolish

Foolish

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:54 PM

I was just watching some of the Vendee videos and thinking about how the internet has changed the whole experience. I started following these races (and dreaming of my own race) in the late 80's. At that time the only way to get news was by telephoning a long distance number every day to get the position reports. I used pins on a big world map on my wall.

I remember when Isabelle Autissier capsized and I was amazed that because of the internet, we were able to get news of her rescue within a few hours of it happening. I was raving to people about this new Internet thing, and how it gave up to the minute (or at least 2 hours old) news.

Now, we get fully edited, long videos.

What a wonderful world.

#1138 LeoV

LeoV

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,004 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:59 PM

Foolish, I had them by fax, what a luxury, once a day.

This race is a good one, 1 leader with two groups behind him, lets bring the St Helena high and see what happens.
Last time some almost hit Argentina :) (if memory is correct)

#1139 ronnie_simpson

ronnie_simpson

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:59 PM

The boat preps were saying that the Watt & Sea hydro's were making a full 40 amps (!!!!) at 12-16 knots boat speed. Most teams had a cross-over point below that where they would bring the Hydro out of the water. The things are amazingly efficient and low-drag, truly a game changer. Most boats in the fleet reckon they could go most of the way around with just the hydro and not the diesel anymore.

#1140 GnarlyItWas

GnarlyItWas

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:15 PM

I maybe wrong....... but Alex's tie bar repair. Would it need to be exactly the same length as before to avoid having the rudder toed in or out, like a beachcat ?

#1141 Carboninit

Carboninit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,200 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:31 PM

hopefully they would have adjustment on them . As to the repair well don Alex on the repair and the vid at 20 knots with a diamond cutter. As to the pricks on here saying thats easy go ahead try it , Its fucking hard to do a repair let alone trying to stand up on a 60 at speed. If it goes again will he use a bunk strutt? Looking at the weather down south, that looks one hell of a ride there in for.As to swinging a compass just do it under main.

#1142 popo

popo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:34 PM

Don't know about his boat, but I know some can pinch or spread the angle between the ruders (Mich Dej had it on his boat and was apparently using it a lot, he was saying that it helped the autopilot a lot !)

#1143 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,307 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:35 PM

I saw a couple boats with spare tie bars in a few of ronnies videos. After the damage that's happened in the past and the relative inexpensive, lightweight nature of these critical pieces I'm surprised that spares aren't mandatory as a fleet preservation measure.

#1144 roca

roca

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:35 PM

Popo- it is not just your quote that led to the comments about AT. Over the course of the last few years there have been many comments about his ability to finish a race or get results. Don't take it personally!

AT is a professional sport sailor and delivered no results. Comments about his ability to finish a race or get result are appropriate for a professional sailor and his, untill now, have been incredibly poor (even more if you consider the budgets he succeded in putting together).

Reality is that AT is the only skipper that can trace his timeline back almost 10 years with the same sponsor

As regard his ability in putting on nice programs and keeping a good sponsor despite his results it is true, but you must correct :
"Reality is that AT is the only skipper that can trace his timeline back almost 10 years with the same sponsor with so poor results"

Frank Cammas is sailng for groupama since 1997 and he delivered a bit more , do you agree?
JPD is with virbac paprec since 2001
Loik peyron had 8 years sponsorship with lada poch and then more than 10 with fujifilm
etc. etc. etc.
many good professional sailors have and had long collaborations with a single sponsor and had their sponsor happy with them, he is not the ONLY ONE
so I do not know what you are talking about

We could contact Tina Fay for suggesting a very amusing new chartcter called Alex Phomson for a tv series about solo sailing ;) He is a star, he is impredictable, he makes a show

"The tracy jordan fo solo sailing" I like it
OK he can be the Tracy Mordan of solo sailing

#1145 popo

popo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:54 PM

Haha, you anglo-saxon people seems to be really sensitive about AT.

It reminds me a bit arguments we were having on french forums about Mich Desjoyeaux being a dick or not last Vendee Globe (stupid question, this guy is a GOD !)

By the way, did the "keel walk" campaign got edited ? I've seen the rushes, but never seen it on paper, TV or whatever.

over and out for me on the AT's subject

#1146 polarbear

polarbear

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:01 PM

Haha, you anglo-saxon people seems to be really sensitive about AT.

It reminds me a bit arguments we were having on french forums about Mich Desjoyeaux being a dick or not last Vendee Globe (stupid question, this guy is a GOD !)

By the way, did the "keel walk" campaign got edited ? I've seen the rushes, but never seen it on paper, TV or whatever.

over and out for me on the AT's subject

MichDej is a god, irrespective of whether he is a dick or not.

#1147 polarbear

polarbear

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:57 PM

What's happening with the ruling on violating the exclusion zone?

#1148 Icedtea

Icedtea

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:21 PM

Em...what someone said above about JPD being with paprec since 2001.... He owns Virbac so they only paid for half a campaign, possibly not the best example to use!

#1149 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,487 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:44 PM

I don't believe he is the owner; rather it is his family's business. (veterinary pharmaceuticals IIRC)

#1150 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,487 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:46 PM

AT is a professional sport sailor and delivered no results.

The people who continue to pay his salary apparently disagree

#1151 Clovis

Clovis

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:13 AM

Em...what someone said above about JPD being with paprec since 2001.... He owns Virbac so they only paid for half a campaign, possibly not the best example to use!

As for Paprec, it's a continuously growing company, and a great and loyal sponsor of sailing.
The owner has (had?) and IRCized TP52, and his son (who graduated from a top school iirc) has quite successfully campaigned a J80 while sponsoring fun regattas in Normandy and raising funds for African children.
Good people i'd say.

C.

#1152 Francis Vaughan

Francis Vaughan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:38 AM

Exactly. I was talking to my brother about the IMOCA class, something he takes almost no interest in. He said "Oh Hugo Boss had that". He didn't know HB was an IMOCA 60, but he sure knew the boat. As far as delivering results to the sponsor Alex and HB are in a different class. Worldwide, people who take a broad interest in sport, but are not sailors, know HB. That is not something any other IMOCA sponsor could claim.

#1153 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,162 posts
  • Interests:My ride: An OCD designed Class 40

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:43 AM

The boat preps were saying that the Watt & Sea hydro's were making a full 40 amps (!!!!) at 12-16 knots boat speed. Most teams had a cross-over point below that where they would bring the Hydro out of the water. The things are amazingly efficient and low-drag, truly a game changer. Most boats in the fleet reckon they could go most of the way around with just the hydro and not the diesel anymore.

The cruising version tops out at about 30 amps of power at about 12 knots of boat speed, although it differs a bit depending on point of sail. It is most efficient on near reach, and least when running deep,.

When it gets north of 12 knots of boat speed, I don't leave it in very long since the drag increases exponentially.

#1154 Potter

Potter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:23 AM

Exactly. I was talking to my brother about the IMOCA class, something he takes almost no interest in. He said "Oh Hugo Boss had that". He didn't know HB was an IMOCA 60, but he sure knew the boat. As far as delivering results to the sponsor Alex and HB are in a different class. Worldwide, people who take a broad interest in sport, but are not sailors, know HB. That is not something any other IMOCA sponsor could claim.

That last comment is spot on. Alex has worked incredibly hard for years to keep the sponsor engaged. Admittedly HB do not need to pay the full amount as there is a private backer, but that is beside the point. He has still worked very hard to keep a cool (and demanding) sponsor in the sport.

Alex gets a lot of grief because he originally rocked up to the 2004 Vendee Globe telling everyone he was going to kick their butts. 8 years later, and this is his 3rd Vendee Globe, after a 5 Oceans, and 2 Barcelona Races he really does stand a chance and seems a lot more humble.
Let's be honest, he has not exactly endeared hiimself by making some silly decisions along the way, he has pushed too hard at times, spent money on the wrong boat, made some bizarre design decisions, after 8 goes at sailing around the world he has succeeded twice (Clipper and BWR) and never non-stop.
That is why he gets the grief, but his attitude towards this addition is completely different, and he deserves to be a podium bet.

#1155 Presuming Ed

Presuming Ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,034 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:53 AM

As regard his ability in putting on nice programs and keeping a good sponsor despite his results it is true, but you must correct :
"Reality is that AT is the only skipper that can trace his timeline back almost 10 years with the same sponsor with so poor results"

Depends what you call results.

His job is to market Hugo Boss. That's what he gets paid for. Race results have very little to do with it. It's all about the RoI.

AT excels at his job.

#1156 Carboninit

Carboninit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,200 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:10 AM

How close do you go to the Brazilian coast? Must feel strange staying close to that coast on the way round. When will they hang a left to get the trades? Are the trades further west than normal or is it just the weather system at the time ?

#1157 DtM

DtM

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:11 AM

Thank you Potter and P Ed Spot on

#1158 moody frog

moody frog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,662 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:17 AM

I don't believe he is the owner; rather it is his family's business. (veterinary pharmaceuticals IIRC)

Virbac is a public company, and a successful and profitable one with revenues over $ 800 M.
Dick's mother and her children own roughly 50% of the company their husband and father founded but one should guess that the sponsoring agreement is dealt at arm's length or the stock-exchange regulators would not be too happy.

#1159 steinbrenner

steinbrenner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:24 AM

wasnt alex second in bwr and tjv? only what i can recall at the moment

#1160 aquila

aquila

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Interests:Sailing - what did you expect?

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:11 AM

if the boats are so close together (the update said some are within 1nm of eachother) why havn't the filmed some of eachother? or is it that they havn't uploaded it yet.

#1161 Cyrille Hydrogene

Cyrille Hydrogene

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:49 AM

Depends what you call results.

His job is to market Hugo Boss. That's what he gets paid for. Race results have very little to do with it. It's all about the RoI.

AT excels at his job.

That's exactly what the CEO of Cheminees Poujoulat said before the race. Even without any race victory for Bernard Stamm in the last five years, their ROI was very good during the hard times: the hard landing in the Kerguelen in the last Vendee and the boat cracked open in two hlaves in the last tansat Jacques Vabre. They got a lot of media coverage...
Sporting success isn't necessary for the investment to be worth it in sailing.

#1162 Janarto

Janarto

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:54 AM

if the boats are so close together (the update said some are within 1nm of eachother) why havn't the filmed some of eachother? or is it that they havn't uploaded it yet.

I guess they were busy tilling all the way

#1163 Presuming Ed

Presuming Ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,034 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:26 AM

Don't know about his boat, but I know some can pinch or spread the angle between the ruders (Mich Dej had it on his boat and was apparently using it a lot, he was saying that it helped the autopilot a lot !)

I suppose that in order to have the windward rudder in line with water flow, you need the angle between the rudders to (?) equal the leeway angle plus the angle of helm from weather helm (if any), So as leeway changes with point of sail, you need to adjust the toe in.

#1164 wardy89

wardy89

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:15 PM

It has just been announced that the boats that violated the traffic separation scheme at cape finisterre are to be penalised. is good to see that the racers a being taught they are not above the law!!

#1165 Sebyseb

Sebyseb

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Interests:Rhum, roots reggae, chicks and not breaking boats.

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:19 PM

VG qualified AT's repair as no less than incredible (Hello Yves Parlier!), but not a word about Bertand de Broc, who is steadily catching-up with the rest of fleet after his delayed departure and boat not in her prime.

Not that he can make another Coup de Trafalgar à la Desjoyaux, but this is In the meantime, he's having a superb race without sponsorship.

#1166 forss

forss

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:44 PM

Gutek is out :(

Today I need to officially announce what I’ve been thinking about for days. Being brave is not only about fighting, it is also about knowing where to stop.
I know I did everything I could, working on my electronics issues for many days.
I know my team and friends did their best as well. And I am extremely grateful for the huge support I got.
But I can’t carry on like that. Having no autopilot means I can’t race, and if I can’t race, I have to retire.
That’s a tough decision, one of toughest in my life. But that’s Vendee Globe, that’s the power of the ocean and you can’t fight it.

It’s like driving at night on a road you don’t know, a road with many turns, surrounded with trees. Suddenly your lights go off and you can’t slow down. How many chances do you have to survive?
That’s what is happening with my autopilot, if you replace the road and the trees with the ocean and the waves…

Zbigniew “Gutek” Gutkowski, Energa Sailing Team

http://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/news/article/4027/gutek-retires-from-the-race.html

#1167 Large Thomas

Large Thomas

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,661 posts
  • Interests:Naval Architecture
    Boatbuilding
    Minitransat / Transat 650
    IMOCA (Open) 60
    Class40
    Photography
    Rock Climbing

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:50 PM

Sorry to see him go, must have been a hard hit for him. Underdog projects seem to fare badly in the last few Vendees.

#1168 popo

popo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:13 PM

filmed I don't know, but Gabart took a picture of JP Dick

Posted Image

#1169 tacksea

tacksea

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:56 PM

Gutek is out :(/>

Sorry to see him go, must have been a hard hit for him. Underdog projects seem to fare badly in the last few Vendees.

Sorry to see all these good guys and girl out . Hoping the next one will be this big Ahole Thomson .

#1170 popo

popo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:57 PM

hahaha nice one Lexpat !

#1171 USA 5184

USA 5184

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:09 PM

IMOCA60 is just 60 foot laser

Posted Image

That laser needs More vang more outhaul. She should probably get the line upgrade if she plans on doing any real competitive sailing with that laser 60.

#1172 popo

popo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:17 PM

That laser needs More vang more outhaul. She should probably get the line upgrade if she plans on doing any real competitive sailing with that laser 60.

Sail number doesn't seems to match hull number either !
and what about nationality ?
Chicks and sailing ...

#1173 Laurent

Laurent

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:38 PM

Comments from Jean Le Cam during the daily radio com... My comments in italic.

Talking about the 5 skippers in the group in front of him:
" For sure, they sailed very East (to pass the Doldrums); that was risky... Well, that's one of the advantages to be behind them... we are the hunters, they are the hunted! We've go the shot gun, and they run in all directions!Well they ran in the wrong direction... It's not the first time, it won't be the last time... I hope!

The journalist, taking pleasure, obviously, to tease him: "so did you shoot several times, with the shot gun, to make them run amok?"

Jean Le Cam:"yeah, for sure! On top of that, they all stayed together, so it's easier to shot, ah, ah, ah!!! Not one of them is coming out of the flock, so it's easier! It's easier to hunt the flock than individuals!!!"

The other journalist: "it should be easier now (in the South trade winds), it' kind of "going straight", so it is a good time to get some rest?..."
Jean Le Cam: " tell me about it! Last night, I heard the snorring of all the skippers around me. The Golding, what a snorer!! It's incredible! And the Swiss, same thing! They snore so much, I couldn't sleep!"

Pure Le Cam...

#1174 Presuming Ed

Presuming Ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,034 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:55 PM

TSS violation protest penalties announced:

http://www.vendeeglo...en-penalty.html

Following a protest from both HUGO BOSS and the Race Committee, several skippers were expecting the international Race Jury's decision regading the way they sailed in or trough the Finisterre Traffic Separation Scheme (TSS). The jury's decision is as follows:
Synerciel, Mirabaud, Acciona, Initiatives Coeur and Energa are given a 2-hour penalty.
Gamesa is given a 30-minute penalty.
Virbac Paprec 3 is given a 20-minute penalty.

Details regarding the penalty implementation will be determined by the Race Management in consultation with the skippers. Grounds for the decision can be found in the race's official notice board.

#1175 Guillame

Guillame

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:07 PM

In the last tracker update Dom Wavre - Mirabaud is heading up North at 0,9 kts :(.... Smells bad, but hope it's just a data issue...

#1176 popo

popo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:15 PM

Contraint à l’abandon après neuf jours de course, Jérémie Beyou (Maître CoQ) aurait trouvé une hypothèse crédible quant à la cause de la casse de la tête de vérin de sa quille : « Cela a dû se produire à la sortie du front que nous avons négocié au large des Canaries. Il y avait 40 nœuds de vent et une mer croisée très dure. J'étais tribord amure, la tige de vérin était sortie de ce côté-là. En retombant d'une vague, j'ai dû taper un OFNI sur le côté du bulbe, car on voit clairement un impact à cet endroit-là. Ce choc de côté a généré un effort inhabituel sur la tête de quille.Ensuite, le temps a fait son œuvre et deux à trois jours plus tard, la tête de vérin, affaiblie par le choc, a cassé.Après analyse de la pièce et échanges avec les experts, c'est l'hypothèse la plus vraisemblable. ».

Forced to withdraw after nine days of race, Jeremie Beyou (Maître Coq) might have found a credible hypothesis towards the ram's head break. : "this might have happened after the front we had offshore Canary. There was 40 knots of wind and a hard and crossed sea. I was starboard tack, the ram's rod was out this side. When falling from a wave, I might have hit an UFO (Unidentified floating objects), on the bulb's side, cause we can clearly see an impact there. This hit produced an unusual force on the keel's head. After,time making its work, two or three days later, the ram's head, weakened by the hit, broke. After the parts analysis, and chat with the experts, it's the most probable hypothesis.

edit : @Guillame : il n'était pas localisé au dernier pointage je crois, il a peut être un problème de balise (j'espère)

#1177 MSafiri

MSafiri

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:24 PM

Today I need to officially announce what I’ve been thinking about for days. Being brave is not only about fighting, it is also about knowing where to stop.
I know I did everything I could, working on my electronics issues for many days.
I know my team and friends did their best as well. And I am extremely grateful for the huge support I got.
But I can’t carry on like that. Having no autopilot means I can’t race, and if I can’t race, I have to retire.
That’s a tough decision, one of toughest in my life. But that’s Vendee Globe, that’s the power of the ocean and you can’t fight it.

It’s like driving at night on a road you don’t know, a road with many turns, surrounded with trees. Suddenly your lights go off and you can’t slow down. How many chances do you have to survive?
That’s what is happening with my autopilot, if you replace the road and the trees with the ocean and the waves…

Zbigniew “Gutek” Gutkowski, Energa Sailing Team

http://www.vendeeglo...m-the-race.html

Damn! For some strange reason, - though all of them are cool - I tend to root more for Gutek, Alessandro and Bernard, than the 'heros' with new, well founded boats. What that 3 are doing is the real Vendee - at least for me......

#1178 cric

cric

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:41 PM

In the last tracker update Dom Wavre - Mirabaud is heading up North at 0,9 kts :(.... Smells bad, but hope it's just a data issue...

I think is just in the middle of his 2 hour penalty
Jean Le Cam (and others) will have to do it aswell

#1179 popo

popo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:49 PM

no cops on view, you can drink as you want !

#1180 popo

popo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:53 PM

there is one in fact !

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xv98t5_jean-pierre-dick-et-francois-gabart-cote-a-cote_sport

#1181 Guillame

Guillame

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:55 PM

edit : @Guillame : il n'était pas localisé au dernier pointage je crois, il a peut être un problème de balise (j'espère)

For those of us who don't speak french ;), you're just saying that you think he wasn't located in the [penultimate] ranking, and you hope that it's just a transmitter (or whatever you call it !) problem. ;-)

I just hope one of you is right !

#1182 ronnie_simpson

ronnie_simpson

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:56 PM

but not a word about Bertand de Broc, who is steadily catching-up with the rest of fleet after his delayed departure and boat not in her prime.

Not to take anything away from Bertrand, but that boat is definitely not a slouch. Ex-Brit Air that got second in the last Vendee with cleac'h. Supposedly was in great shape and is a very good all around boat.

#1183 richie

richie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:03 PM

I guess 2 months of preparations is not enough...hope the sponsor will stay and we will see Gutek in the next big race...Barcelona maybe?!...but the most important,he did his job as a sailor...sad to see him gone of the tracking chart :(

#1184 popo

popo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:07 PM

cheers !

#1185 LeoV

LeoV

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,004 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:32 PM

MSsafari,

the not big funded boats are more then the ones you mentioned:
Tanguy and Arnaud. So you know who to support now :)

And big LOL for the remarks of Le Cam

#1186 Large Thomas

Large Thomas

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,661 posts
    Boatbuilding
    IMOCA (Open) 60
    Class40
    Photography
    Rock Climbing

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:39 PM

Pure Le Cam...

Him and Bilou are jokers before the Lord. Let's hope that Le Cam stays in the race, few people can make the race as entertaining as him.

I guess 2 months of preparations is not enough...hope the sponsor will stay and we will see Gutek in the next big race...Barcelona maybe?!...but the most important,he did his job as a sailor...sad to see him gone of the tracking chart :(

There's a lot that can be done in two months, but I will be honest, if you have enough, and good enough people to learn run the show for you you have a much higher chance to get away with a good enough preparation. Then again, two months including testing, etc... hard.

#1187 micha571

micha571

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:41 PM

What's up with Dominique Wavre/Mirabaud? Tracker shows him heading north at 9 deg with 0,9 knots speed..?

#1188 Large Thomas

Large Thomas

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,661 posts
    Boatbuilding
    IMOCA (Open) 60
    Class40
    Photography
    Rock Climbing

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:44 PM

What's up with Dominique Wavre/Mirabaud? Tracker shows him heading north at 9 deg with 0,9 knots speed..?

We suppose he's doing his time penalty, but...

#1189 forss

forss

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:45 PM

Rough Bing translation from Mirabaud facebook:

Penalty carried out Dominique Wavre, and six of his colleagues were peanlises by the race Committee for sailing in a zone of separation of maritime traffic ago ten days off the coast of Cape Finistere.

Dominique was forced to stop for two hours, what it has done around 16 h 00. He was therefore arrested at the time of the statement of official rankings and on the mapping of the Vendée Globe, but all is well aboard the Mirabaud and his skipper handed over the foot to the floor, heading of 220 °

Someone already mentioned it in this thread, but I did not know that such rule exist.
Hope they enjoy their 2hour sleep :D

#1190 Large Thomas

Large Thomas

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,661 posts
    Boatbuilding
    IMOCA (Open) 60
    Class40
    Photography
    Rock Climbing

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:47 PM

Rough Bing translation from Mirabaud facebook:

Penalty carried out Dominique Wavre, and six of his colleagues were peanlises by the race Committee for sailing in a zone of separation of maritime traffic ago ten days off the coast of Cape Finistere.

Dominique was forced to stop for two hours, what it has done around 16 h 00. He was therefore arrested at the time of the statement of official rankings and on the mapping of the Vendée Globe, but all is well aboard the Mirabaud and his skipper handed over the foot to the floor, heading of 220 °

Someone already mentioned it in this thread, but I did not know that such rule exist.
Hope they enjoy their 2hour sleep :D

It's a general sea traffic rule, you have to abide by a few regulations when you cross busy waterways, even when you think that you're immune (see Marco being wanted by Interpol for double violation of the traffic rules in the English Channel ;))

#1191 forss

forss

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:50 PM

It's a general sea traffic rule, you have to abide by a few regulations when you cross busy waterways, even when you think that you're immune (see Marco being wanted by Interpol for double violation of the traffic rules in the English Channel ;))

Yes, I know that.

But I was surprised that they have to stop for 2 hours. I thought that after finish they just get + 2 hours.

#1192 Large Thomas

Large Thomas

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,661 posts
    Boatbuilding
    IMOCA (Open) 60
    Class40
    Photography
    Rock Climbing

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:53 PM

Yes, I know that.

But I was surprised that they have to stop for 2 hours. I thought that after finish they just get + 2 hours.

Would be unfair towards the others. if they'd be allowed to continue they might just be gaining an unfair advantage by being able to catch more favourable weather systems they weren't "supposed to" catch if they'd have been two hours behind at this point.

#1193 Guillame

Guillame

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:54 PM

so you were right !

Edit : just read on VG website that skippers have to execut their penalties before tomorrow 23:00 TU.

#1194 Carboninit

Carboninit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,200 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:22 PM

What's happening with the Polish ? Out because of Autohelm ! Instruments not calibrated? That is ridiculous. Fruit did not make the start line because the engine was too small. Feck . Surely you can beg borrow or steal to get this sorted before you leave . Find a company to do it and stick a logo on the boat for your efforts. Engine , likewise ,Companies would jump at the chance.

#1195 Large Thomas

Large Thomas

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,661 posts
    Boatbuilding
    IMOCA (Open) 60
    Class40
    Photography
    Rock Climbing

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:53 PM

What's happening with the Polish ? Out because of Autohelm ! Instruments not calibrated? That is ridiculous. Fruit did not make the start line because the engine was too small. Feck . Surely you can beg borrow or steal to get this sorted before you leave . Find a company to do it and stick a logo on the boat for your efforts. Engine , likewise ,Companies would jump at the chance.

You would think they would. Unfortunately they do not. Such a thing alone is a hard fight. And an autopilot failure isn't too uncommon a reason to back out of a race. It worked fine up to one point and then simply fucked up. Bye bye, micro sleep, and hello complete sleep deprivation.

Also: Posts no. 1500 ;)

#1196 Presuming Ed

Presuming Ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,034 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:00 PM

Given the precedents for penalties for TSS violations in the Dover straits, I wonder if the Spanish authorities will take any further action?

#1197 Large Thomas

Large Thomas

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,661 posts
    Boatbuilding
    IMOCA (Open) 60
    Class40
    Photography
    Rock Climbing

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:08 PM

Given the precedents for penalties for TSS violations in the Dover straits, I wonder if the Spanish authorities will take any further action?

I was joking about a British frigate standing ready to intercept Marco once he's outside of French territorial waters, but with a Spanish warship thrown into the mix...

#1198 popo

popo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:45 PM

what kind of seeds exactly did you plowed ???

#1199 popo

popo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:09 PM

Damn! For some strange reason, - though all of them are cool - I tend to root more for Gutek, Alessandro and Bernard, than the 'heros' with new, well founded boats. What that 3 are doing is the real Vendee - at least for me......

Can't remember exactly if it was before or after the 2008 Vendee Globe, but Mich Dej (always him) said that for him, a third of the fleet is ready and here to win, an other third is just here to complete the race, not very concerned by positions, and the last third are hippys (quite what he said) who will be really lucky to complete the race / not jeopardise too much their life.
(made him a lot of friends, for sure)
He also hates when people are calling him and adventurer, he is a professional, he tries to live nothing up to chance, and prepares his wins as much onshore that offshore

#1200 MSafiri

MSafiri

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:31 PM

Can't remember exactly if it was before or after the 2008 Vendee Globe, but Mich Dej (always him) said that for him, a third of the fleet is ready and here to win, an other third is just here to complete the race, not very concerned by positions, and the last third are hippys (quite what he said) who will be really lucky to complete the race / not jeopardise too much their life.
(made him a lot of friends, for sure)
He also hates when people are calling him and adventurer, he is a professional, he tries to live nothing up to chance, and prepares his wins as much onshore that offshore

Hoopla, now I know, that GOD is actually a DICK (sorry JP).........Well, he is a pro, no question about it and he showed that last time.

Always thought that this race is about seamanship.... No matter which third you are in, this is an enormous challenge and all who made it to the start are pros. How many so called 'pros' were out before the race ended before???

I would be happy to be able to say 'fcuk, I did the VG.....' would be in the hippy group for sure.......

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users