62 replies to this topic

#1 Munter

Munter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 02:30 AM

I'm looking at boats in the 7-9 m range (east coast Australia) for mostly day sailing with occassional overnighters with the family. The Young 88 looks like a pretty good compromise between speed, comfort & price. Is there anything in particular I should look at before I go to have a look at one? What are their common problems?

Other than the Young 88 what else is on the market <$60k AU that is worth looking at? Stripped out racing interiors won't work with the family but I don't want something more than a 2ksb. No need to trailer.

#2 dolphinmaster

dolphinmaster

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 02:51 AM

I'm looking at boats in the 7-9 m range (east coast Australia) for mostly day sailing with occassional overnighters with the family. The Young 88 looks like a pretty good compromise between speed, comfort & price. Is there anything in particular I should look at before I go to have a look at one? What are their common problems?

Other than the Young 88 what else is on the market <$60k AU that is worth looking at? Stripped out racing interiors won't work with the family but I don't want something more than a 2ksb. No need to trailer.

Come-on dude, yer like the little 8 yr old who won't look more than 2 additional seconds for his other shoe.

http://www.tboat.com/T870/T870.html

Found more, a used one in your price range, size, and roomy .......... scroll down on the first link, then you have to click on the pic to get the additional info. Pretty looking boat.

http://web.aanet.com.au/lamoore/yachtlistings.html

http://web.aanet.com.au/lamoore/frameyachtlistings.html

One of few Thompson 8.7's in Australia
2004 model lightly used
Epoxy construction
Lightly used sail wardrobe
Solid rig
Roomy cockpit
Easily Handled
$55,000

Broker's Comment:Be at the front of the pack in this giant killer
Want more info? Email us.
Listed through our Lake Macquarie office
If you want to inspect, phone Lamoore Lake Macquarie on (02) 49763535

#3 Weyalan

Weyalan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 02:57 AM

Young 88s are a good boat IMO. For what it is worth, there is a modified (extended by circa 1m, with new Lyons keel & rudder) for sale in Hobart, Tas. Abolute A-1 condition, beautifully built and fitted out. Called Kosher (or maybe "Kosha")... well worth a look. N.B. No vested interest, just know the boat.

#4 jc172528

jc172528

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,007 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:29 AM

Ross 830, Ross 930 or an Elliott 9.6 (sweet unit if you can find one and stretch to a few more dollars).

#5 MSA

MSA

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:40 AM

S97, Farr 9.2.. Keep looking there is heaps.

But it completely depends on what level of racing/speed you want. Farr 9.2 is best comfort but Slow. S97 have some pace and I know a mate that lives on one. lots a bunk space and a decent TV!

#6 Stubby

Stubby

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:48 AM

I know where you can fine an elliott 9.6 if you do so desire. Sweet boat, used to race on one, infact the one that I used to race on is for sale. Was always looked after amazingly well and raced very competitively.

Linky

#7 GybeSet®

GybeSet®

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,230 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:01 AM

Cav 28 (davidson) is an option too, not as racy looking as the above,

also the Ross780 interior may surprise you

#8 ColinG

ColinG

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:47 AM

Cav 28 (davidson) is an option too, not as racy looking as the above,

also the Ross780 interior may surprise you

cav 28s have class racing on Sydney Harbour which may be a plus too. Bit old school though, with big genoas and smallish mains

#9 HILLY

HILLY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 07:43 AM

A Masrm 920 could be worth a look.
2 X quarter berths, V-berth, small galley, enclosed head, inboard.
Good all round boat, in that size range.

#10 Windward Mark

Windward Mark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:33 AM

A but bigger than your preference but a Farr 1020 is worth a look, Great boats.

#11 TD Floater

TD Floater

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:11 AM

How ya doin Munter?

#12 kiwi_jon

kiwi_jon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,623 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:53 AM

I will have owned an 88 for 25 years this year. Built it up from hull and decks. For the first half of its life it was stripped out in race mode but now it is very much a cruising 88. It now sports a furling headsail, dodger and now the the wife and I are now on the downhill side to 60, an anchor winch. :rolleyes:

It is easily handled by the two of us. It is a simple rig with no running backstays to worry about, unlike the Ross 930. Am seriously looking at getting a fractional gennaker made.

The cockpit is made for cruising, plenty of space and the open transom is just made for swimming and fishing. I built a deep cockpit locker which was perfect for storing dive tanks upright, the outboard and a lot of other accumulated crap.

Down below I have one double quarter berth and one single quarter berth due to the deep locker. While the quarter berths are stated as being double that is really only the case for skinny people who a really really really friendly. The saloon berths are singles but I have a table that drops into the U saloon berth and an extra squab that makes it into a big berth. I have had 2 adults sleep up forward in the Vee berth but it really is only kid sized.

When I built the 88 there was a lot of deliberation as to which diesel engine to install. A lot of the 88 were hitting the water with lightweight Yanmar 12's, Bukh 10's and Nanni 10's to keep the weight down. In the end I went with the 18 hp Yanmar 2GM20 and saildrive and I still ended up under class weight but still had the horsepower to punch me through waves that would have stopped the lightweight engines plus the 88's with the larger engines held their prices better as they were more in demand.

#13 Munter

Munter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:43 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've been busy googling. The t boat and Elliot 9.6 both look sweet but my missus will complain that they are too spartan below.

The Ross' s look close but they seem to have funny deck arrangements around he cockpit. Not quite as functional as the open rear of the young. A Ross would probably do the job though.

The cav fleet racing is appealing but the boat itself looks a bit old school. I'd like to go a few notches up in performance.

There is a Beale 850 for sale up in qld. The seller looks increasingly keen to shift it. Advantages would be newness and modern rig. Bit of a white elephant though. Anyone know anything about that boat?

Im still leaning towards a young 88. They seem to range from low 30's to 70k. Are there important differences between boats in that range or will it just come down to wear and tear and quality of fittings/sails?

Thanks for the comments so far.

#14 jc172528

jc172528

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,007 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:43 PM

I know where you can fine an elliott 9.6 if you do so desire. Sweet boat, used to race on one, infact the one that I used to race on is for sale. Was always looked after amazingly well and raced very competitively.

Linky

That my friend looks like one very sweet ride...if only I was cashed up

#15 Shaggy

Shaggy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,659 posts
  • Interests:This is SA, you figure it out.......

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:33 AM

God... I and I bet a bunch of others would kill for any of those in the states... We suck...... ;)

#16 jc172528

jc172528

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,007 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:35 AM

God... I and I bet a bunch of others would kill for any of those in the states... We suck...... ;)

Just remember that price is Australian dollars....Posted Image

#17 Stubby

Stubby

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:40 AM

Linky

That my friend looks like one very sweet ride...if only I was cashed up

It's like a big dinghy going down hill, awesome fun.

#18 floating dutchman

floating dutchman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,893 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:57 AM

I spent a season doing bow on a Ross 830, loved that boat But felt it to light and finicky for a family cruiser for my family, We would beat a Y88 on line on a regular baises.

http://www.trademe.c...n-352099904.htm

Never sailed a 930 but at this price how could you go wrong?

The 830 realy pays with smart sailing and punishes poor sailing and I understand that the 930 is the same. It would be my pick over the 88.

#19 juniordave nz

juniordave nz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:49 AM

88's are better for cruising than a ross930. Check the decks and glass quality, they can start to get a bit soft. They have short rudders, gota watch round ups in heavy wind. Good boats though. Not sure what the class racing is like in AUS, but in NZ its about the only keel boat class racing that exists around the country.

#20 Obsessed

Obsessed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:37 AM

88's are better for cruising than a ross930. Check the decks and glass quality, they can start to get a bit soft. They have short rudders, gota watch round ups in heavy wind. Good boats though. Not sure what the class racing is like in AUS, but in NZ its about the only keel boat class racing that exists around the country.

What about Farr 1020 they have class racing in NZ don't they?

You can alway slow a boat down for family cruising you can't always speed one up for racing.

#21 Cheesy

Cheesy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:50 PM

Picture of rudder and keel 7th one down..... it was pretty windy though

http://forums.sailin...1

#22 juniordave nz

juniordave nz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:01 PM

Picture of rudder and keel 7th one down..... it was pretty windy though

http://forums.sailin...1

That regatta was great fun, I was bow on a different 88 (Smokey), we managed not to fuck up.

1020's are a great boat as well. Tend to be a bit more expensive than 88's. There is a bit of class racing in those, mainly in Auckland though I think, not much down south, there are a few boats around though. A popular racing version of the 1020 is the MRX, which has the same hull shape but different everything else.

If your looking for a family boat that you can do a bit of racing in then either the 1020 or 88 are great boats for that. I know people who use both boats for that type of use.

#23 Munter

Munter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:15 PM

A Farr 1020 looks perfect but too pricey. Unless I could find a cheap one I couldn't do it.
The swabricks look ok but maybe a bit spartan and old.

I think I'll keep looking for a Young.

#24 Melbourne A31

Melbourne A31

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:26 AM

If your heart is still set on a Young 88 there is a really nice one for sale that is based at Sandringham Yacht Club in Melbourne. It's called Young Lion and I've got no idea where it is advertised or it's price but the owners name is Michael Manson so if you are interested it shouldn't be too hard to track him down.

#25 Rawhide

Rawhide

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 985 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:15 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've been busy googling. The t boat and Elliot 9.6 both look sweet but my missus will complain that they are too spartan below.

The Ross' s look close but they seem to have funny deck arrangements around he cockpit. Not quite as functional as the open rear of the young. A Ross would probably do the job though.

The cav fleet racing is appealing but the boat itself looks a bit old school. I'd like to go a few notches up in performance.

There is a Beale 850 for sale up in qld. The seller looks increasingly keen to shift it. Advantages would be newness and modern rig. Bit of a white elephant though. Anyone know anything about that boat?

Im still leaning towards a young 88. They seem to range from low 30's to 70k. Are there important differences between boats in that range or will it just come down to wear and tear and quality of fittings/sails?

Thanks for the comments so far.

There is a Clubman 30 for sale which is in your price range that looks a good buy.

And can you lot stop using "Old School" in any thing other than a complimentary context.

#26 GybeSet®

GybeSet®

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,230 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:19 AM

It's like a big dinghy going down hill ....

Things bowmen Yachties Say

>
>
>
>.

Posted Image

#27 Stubby

Stubby

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 12:42 PM

It's like a big dinghy going down hill ....

Things bowmen Yachties Say

>
>
>
>.

Posted Image

That pic would be great... If I could actually see it.

#28 GybeSet®

GybeSet®

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,230 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:23 PM

More Things bowmen Yachties Say

That . would be great... If I could actually see it.

? :lol: :lol:

#29 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:37 AM

Get a Y88 you'll never regret it.

Bring it to the lake for a Y88 regatta on the 16th to 18th March

http://www.lmyc.com....es/1045264.docx

PS You just missed the fastest one going around. Went for a song!!

M
Z

#30 rumpig

rumpig

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 10:17 AM

Come-on dude, yer like the little 8 yr old who won't look more than 2 additional seconds for his other shoe.

http://www.tboat.com/T870/T870.html

Found more, a used one in your price range, size, and roomy .......... scroll down on the first link, then you have to click on the pic to get the additional info. Pretty looking boat.

http://web.aanet.com.au/lamoore/yachtlistings.html

http://web.aanet.com.au/lamoore/frameyachtlistings.html

One of few Thompson 8.7's in Australia
2004 model lightly used
Epoxy construction
Lightly used sail wardrobe
Solid rig
Roomy cockpit
Easily Handled
$55,000

Broker's Comment:Be at the front of the pack in this giant killer
Want more info? Email us.
Listed through our Lake Macquarie office
If you want to inspect, phone Lamoore Lake Macquarie on (02) 49763535

is that the one on a mooring down at sunshine. have sailed that one before its not too bad

#31 Jono

Jono

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 04:34 AM

The Y88 is far better than the Clubman or Beale.
Lots of NZ boats are in cruise mode over summer and race mode the rest of the year. Also guys who have plenty of fun tokens and race hard pre kids still keep their boats and dial back the racing as the years progress.

#32 SYCFCC

SYCFCC

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:31 AM

If your heart is still set on a Young 88 there is a really nice one for sale that is based at Sandringham Yacht Club in Melbourne. It's called Young Lion and I've got no idea where it is advertised or it's price but the owners name is Michael Manson so if you are interested it shouldn't be too hard to track him down.

Although A31 and I don't generally agree on things he is spot on with this one.

Great boat, sensational record on Port Phiilip and very well cared for.

Cream of the crop (if still available)

#33 Munter

Munter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:07 PM

I had a look at the listing for young lion and it does look like a very tidy boat. The price is too high though. I think I'll have to settle for something a little older and without all the nice to have bits.

#34 Obsessed

Obsessed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:58 PM

Buyers market, make an offer...

#35 juniordave nz

juniordave nz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:48 PM

Can you post a link to the listing? It would be interesting to see the difference in value between the aus boats and the nz boats, if there is any.

Cheers

#36 Munter

Munter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 01:52 AM

I see that there are quite a few for sale in NZ for around $50k NZ. I wonder if it would be worth importing?

How does YL below compare to a $50k NZ boat dave?

http://www.boatpoint...aspx?R=10356229

#37 juniordave nz

juniordave nz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 03:13 AM

It's quite a nice looking boat, but in NZD I'd say over priced. A very top boat sells for 70-80k NZ. You wont get any more than that for them over here.

http://www.trademe.c...n-448790832.htm
This looks like a good cruising boat. The wooden boats tend to be a bit stiffer than the glass ones, a little heavier though. Has a nice big engine too.

http://www.trademe.c...n-435852888.htm
This is a nice boat I've raced against. The guy that did it up owns built the nicest Shaw 650 in the country.

I wouldn't go for one of the top ones with all the newest kit if all you really want is a good cruising boat.
Also watch out for boats that have been raced hard, often they are stripped out and raced to their max and often not up kept to what they should.

#38 Jono

Jono

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 04:21 AM

First questions for NZ boats should be how old is the mast, how old the rigging, and what motor/ when installed.
There is an early glass boat with an as new rig Cantilta which is a good 2nd tier boat on Trade Me, otherwise the La Tosca is a good buy for a wood boat. They can be sailed over but allow 1 month - 1 week getting ready, 1 week for weather and 2 weeks sailing. Dockwise is expensive but simple.

#39 Flatbag

Flatbag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,128 posts
  • Interests:Shattering illusions

Posted 06 March 2012 - 05:22 AM

First questions for NZ boats should be how old is the mast, how old the rigging, and what motor/ when installed.
There is an early glass boat with an as new rig Cantilta which is a good 2nd tier boat on Trade Me, otherwise the La Tosca is a good buy for a wood boat. They can be sailed over but allow 1 month - 1 week getting ready, 1 week for weather and 2 weeks sailing. Dockwise is expensive but simple.

You neglected to tell him he will have to have the boat up to Cat 1 offshore to be allowed to depart NZ. That will likely add a $hitload to his co$t$. Great article appeared in Boating NZ March 2001 issue (if you can still find it) about sailing a Y88 from NZ to Sydney. Crew included James Morrison, the famous Jazz trumpeter. They made it but it was a horror trip. Bloody big ask for a little boat not really designed to cross oceans and would need plenty of experience in the crew to take that trip on. Buy local mate!

#40 Rohanoz

Rohanoz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts
  • Interests:A bad day sailing is still better than a good day at work.

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:05 AM

You neglected to tell him he will have to have the boat up to Cat 1 offshore to be allowed to depart NZ. That will likely add a $hitload to his co$t$. Great article appeared in Boating NZ March 2001 issue (if you can still find it) about sailing a Y88 from NZ to Sydney. Crew included James Morrison, the famous Jazz trumpeter. They made it but it was a horror trip. Bloody big ask for a little boat not really designed to cross oceans and would need plenty of experience in the crew to take that trip on. Buy local mate!

Where's your sense of adventure?!!

But, you are spot on. Just getting to Cat 1 with life rafts, medical kit and other safeties would be a $3-5K exercise (at best). There goes the money you saved.
You will get stories out of it, it could be an awesome experience, many have done it in worse boats, but I'd be VERY careful with the weather window. And in all honesty, planning to go North from NZ first, then around a few islands to line up with the QLD coast would be a safer trip - not during cyclone season however.
You would certainly know the boat well by the time you got it to Aus.

#41 SYCFCC

SYCFCC

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 06 March 2012 - 07:03 AM

I would grab YL if I was you before the owner changes his mind and puts his new boat on the market.

The boat was/is extremely competative and very well decked out with a really good sail inventory.

Will be sorry to see it leave SYC. (if it does)

#42 Cheesy

Cheesy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 07:13 AM

Just a heads up, there is a wooden lifting keel one that seems to pop up on trademe from time to time which is probably not what you want. As mentioned the wooden hulls can be quite a bit stiffer, Ive also only sailed on one with a soft deck

#43 Chris 249

Chris 249

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,486 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 08:43 AM

We won the NSW JOGgies on Young Lion Back In The Day. She was super tidy then; it's good to know she's still being looked after.

Fantastic boats. Yeah, some other designs are quicker but since when is any small leadmine really quick? It's all comparative and for its rig size, cost, simplicity and interior the 88 is very very hard to beat.

One story on YL was about the time a well known designer came on board to check it and got narked because even decades after it was designed, it's bloody hard to design a boat that is better for the Y88's niche.

#44 kiwi_jon

kiwi_jon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,623 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:27 AM

But, you are spot on. Just getting to Cat 1 with life rafts, medical kit and other safeties would be a $3-5K exercise (at best). There goes the money you saved.
You will get stories out of it, it could be an awesome experience, many have done it in worse boats, but I'd be VERY careful with the weather window. And in all honesty, planning to go North from NZ first, then around a few islands to line up with the QLD coast would be a safer trip - not during cyclone season however.

Years ago, I'm talking 20+, Boots 'n' All was looking at doing the Auckland - Suva Race. iirc to get Cat 1 they were going to have to add a couple of extra bulkheads, extra stringers and re-do the hull/deck join and through bolt it. They decided it wasn't worth it.

#45 Munter

Munter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 11:58 AM

Sailing across the ditch is probably beyond my experience. Shipping across might be viable though?

#46 SPORTSCAR

SPORTSCAR

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,535 posts
  • Interests:sailing (duh!)

Posted 06 March 2012 - 11:08 PM

We won the NSW JOGgies on Young Lion Back In The Day. She was super tidy then; it's good to know she's still being looked after.

Fantastic boats. Yeah, some other designs are quicker but since when is any small leadmine really quick? It's all comparative and for its rig size, cost, simplicity and interior the 88 is very very hard to beat.

One story on YL was about the time a well known designer came on board to check it and got narked because even decades after it was designed, it's bloody hard to design a boat that is better for the Y88's niche.

I was working at Westernport Marina, then the agents for Roger Land's NZ built Y88s, and I helped put YL together for her first owner (John Medley) after she arrived as basic hull and deck mouldings way back in 1984! She was well set up from the start and I know Mike Manson hasn't skimped on looking after her all these years later. She has been a regular Div 3 Club Champ at Sandringham over recent years and certainly lacks for nothing in the sails department. An excellent choice for a versatile family boat - consistently competitive under IRC and family friendly for a weekend away. Y88 is a design that was many years ahead of its time.

#47 juniordave nz

juniordave nz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 02:53 AM

Beginning to sound like you should put an offer in on YL. And if that doesn't work then possibly look at shipping from NZ, although I'd guess you'd have to pay a fair bit of tax when you bring the boat into AUS (or do you guys not have to deal with that sort of thing?)

The thing about an offer is the worst that can happen is that they turn it down...

#48 Jono

Jono

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:58 AM

Agreed. A 50k NZD Boat will become a 60k AUD boat very quickly. Plus you will use up a year's worth of annual leave so you can't cruise it when it arrives.
A couple of points re Cat 1. The trick is to reregister the boat to your state and then you don't need official NZ Cat 1. There have been several Y88s sailed over. No structural work was done to them. Similarly if you can borrow an AYF Cat 1 raft and first aid you aren't up for too much extra cash. Even better if you can find an S80 low hoist main, or suchlike to save the Y88 main.
just sayin....

#49 jc172528

jc172528

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,007 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 05:27 AM

Hey Munter looks good...
http://yachthub.com/...young-88/110333

#50 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:57 AM

Hey Munter looks good...

I'd definitely look at this one.

Now the guff. (my opinion only)

Aussie Y88's come in modified and unmodified, though some of our unmodified would struggle to make class rules in UnZud

Once in the groove they are both as quick as each other. It is just the groove is wider with the modified.

Mods include extended keels, different rudder and/or mast with extra spreaders.

Older masts get a bit weak at the cap shrouds. (And sometimes fall over.)

Interiors don't vary too much other than in condition.

There is a annual Y88 regatta out of Amateurs which is the bomb! And now another on the lake. (Can't beat class racing to show how shit you are)

If you go for a holiday to UnZud take an extra backpack and stuff it with one of their sail - bees knees!

You'll be mixing it with much bigger boat.

They do well offshore, particularly if you are going the right way.

Not sure how many race on the harbour or Pittwater, but there are at least 7 active on the lake.

Easy to set up for cruising as long as you don't have a dozen rugrats.

PS

Any of you lot coming to the lake for the Y88 regatta? Channel is open. Contact me for the best way in!

#51 Munter

Munter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:19 AM

Hey Munter looks good...

I might go have a look. It looks clean but maybe a bit basic in the rigging? Halyards kept at the mast instead of lead back to the cockpit like I've seen on other boats. Maybe that explains why it is many $ less than YL?

#52 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:41 AM

Jeez, hard to please.

Try this one.

http://yachthub.com/...young-88/101608

M
Z

#53 TD Floater

TD Floater

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:38 AM

least he knows what he wants :)

#54 8Y8

8Y8

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:55 AM

Years ago, I'm talking 20+, Boots 'n' All was looking at doing the Auckland - Suva Race. iirc to get Cat 1 they were going to have to add a couple of extra bulkheads, extra stringers and re-do the hull/deck join and through bolt it. They decided it wasn't worth it.

OK so i'm that goose who sailed the Y88 from NZ (Tauranga) to Sydney, the Cat1 thing out of NZ is only applicable to NZ registered yachts, I figured that it was AUS registered since id owned it for a couple of months :) No one really checks anyway .... NOT THAT I WOULD RECOMMEND THE TRIP IN ANY 29 foot boat.

I still own her, and as far as I'm concerned there are very few if any boats that will serve you better for what you want to do.

WATCH OUT FOR WOODEN VERSIONS for sale in Australia posing as Young 88s they are often for sale in Tas and SA for some reason.

A few of the boats have extended keels/new rudders dovel? maybe modded masts. I took the builder (roger land) for a trip around sydney one day to look at the modded boats, his only comment was that they look all bound up :)

Here is a not so up to date list of the glass young's in AUS I think there may be another 6 or so that I don't know of.

0 Boat Name Hull
1 Wholesailer 10
2 Bandit 15
3 Hombre 28
5 Summersalt II 29
6 Young at Heart 37
7 Fifth Avenue 43
8 Rapid Transit 54
9 War Canoe 55
10 Young Coralie 59
11 Cantina 62
12 Young Generation 64
13 Scaramouche 68
14 Young Pretender 73
15 Smooth As 76
16 Fantasy Island 79
17 Young Blokes 89
18 Vasco da Granga 134
19 Mosar 135
20 Agent 88 140
21 FAST COMPANY
22 SPEEDWELL
23 VASCO 134

Below is some info on the boats. (I stand to be corrected, but I believe Bruce Farr was working for/with Jim Young at the time) Pretty decent pedigree either way :)

Designer Jim Young describes the origins of the Young 88 class:
“I had for some time cherished the idea of a boat around the size of the Half Tonner Mama Cass, which I had designed for the late Merv Elliott, father of Bruce and Greg and sister Sue Satherwaite - a boat which would feature the good points of Mama Cass, but with a broad yet nicely proportioned stern penalised under the IOR rule. It would be much more practical for both cruising and racing and faster, yet well behaved, and with a sensible, easily handled fractional rig, all unspoiled by the Northern Hemisphere rule.
The opportunity came when I found myself dealing with Sue and Russell Satherwaite at the same time as a company known as Moonraker Yachts, which was interested in the design as a production yacht. Negotiations with Moonraker stalled, however, and Moonraker subsequently went on to produce their own version.
In the meantime, friend Roger Land had become interested, and this led very successfully to an agreement between us over the use of the design by Roger as a production yacht.
The first 88 hull was strip-planked under my supervision by Greg Elliott for the Satherwaites in Roger Land’s yard, under an arrangement whereby Roger took a GRP hull mould from the plug, before handing it over to the Satherwaites.
Tickled Pink was therefore not only the first 88, but also it has the distinction of being the first yacht to be built using a new construction method, which subsequently revolutionised custom boat building. This was the now standard technique of using a strip-planked core as a former for a special fibreglass and epoxy covering, inside and out which possessed enormous strength. This is now popularly known as the West System, after the material suppliers (The original Rocket 31 was also built this way, in 1983.)
The first GRP hull was built for Bob Walker, and Ross Field’s successful Paddy Wagon was the first 88 launched.
For the record, the deck mould was also built under my supervision as designer in the Land yard, with no design input from anyone other than Roger Land, who painstakingly attended to detail and faithfully observed the design philosophy throughout the whole development of the Young 88. The cabin was later slightly lengthened to improve cruising comfort (the Mark II cabin).
The Young 88 association in NZ currently owns the moulds. I retain the copyright.”

I have a bunch more info on young's in Australia if you are interested message me dbmgreen (at) me (dot) com

#55 Stubby

Stubby

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 02:40 AM

While we are on the topic of Y88's does anyone know where Red Rum is? Day used to race on it back in the day out of Royal Port Nicholson YC.

#56 juniordave nz

juniordave nz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 03:57 AM

While we are on the topic of Y88's does anyone know where Red Rum is? Day used to race on it back in the day out of Royal Port Nicholson YC.

Was out racing the other day according to racetrack. In Auckland now though.
http://racetrack.org...php?boatid=2373

#57 SPORTSCAR

SPORTSCAR

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,535 posts
  • Interests:sailing (duh!)

Posted 09 March 2012 - 06:27 AM

OK so i'm that goose who sailed the Y88 from NZ (Tauranga) to Sydney, the Cat1 thing out of NZ is only applicable to NZ registered yachts, I figured that it was AUS registered since id owned it for a couple of months :) No one really checks anyway .... NOT THAT I WOULD RECOMMEND THE TRIP IN ANY 29 foot boat.

I still own her, and as far as I'm concerned there are very few if any boats that will serve you better for what you want to do.

WATCH OUT FOR WOODEN VERSIONS for sale in Australia posing as Young 88s they are often for sale in Tas and SA for some reason.

A few of the boats have extended keels/new rudders dovel? maybe modded masts. I took the builder (roger land) for a trip around sydney one day to look at the modded boats, his only comment was that they look all bound up :)

Here is a not so up to date list of the glass young's in AUS I think there may be another 6 or so that I don't know of.

0 Boat Name Hull
1 Wholesailer 10
2 Bandit 15
3 Hombre 28
5 Summersalt II 29
6 Young at Heart 37
7 Fifth Avenue 43
8 Rapid Transit 54
9 War Canoe 55
10 Young Coralie 59
11 Cantina 62
12 Young Generation 64
13 Scaramouche 68
14 Young Pretender 73
15 Smooth As 76
16 Fantasy Island 79
17 Young Blokes 89
18 Vasco da Granga 134
19 Mosar 135
20 Agent 88 140
21 FAST COMPANY
22 SPEEDWELL
23 VASCO 134

Below is some info on the boats. (I stand to be corrected, but I believe Bruce Farr was working for/with Jim Young at the time) Pretty decent pedigree either way :)

Designer Jim Young describes the origins of the Young 88 class:
“I had for some time cherished the idea of a boat around the size of the Half Tonner Mama Cass, which I had designed for the late Merv Elliott, father of Bruce and Greg and sister Sue Satherwaite - a boat which would feature the good points of Mama Cass, but with a broad yet nicely proportioned stern penalised under the IOR rule. It would be much more practical for both cruising and racing and faster, yet well behaved, and with a sensible, easily handled fractional rig, all unspoiled by the Northern Hemisphere rule.
The opportunity came when I found myself dealing with Sue and Russell Satherwaite at the same time as a company known as Moonraker Yachts, which was interested in the design as a production yacht. Negotiations with Moonraker stalled, however, and Moonraker subsequently went on to produce their own version.
In the meantime, friend Roger Land had become interested, and this led very successfully to an agreement between us over the use of the design by Roger as a production yacht.
The first 88 hull was strip-planked under my supervision by Greg Elliott for the Satherwaites in Roger Land’s yard, under an arrangement whereby Roger took a GRP hull mould from the plug, before handing it over to the Satherwaites.
Tickled Pink was therefore not only the first 88, but also it has the distinction of being the first yacht to be built using a new construction method, which subsequently revolutionised custom boat building. This was the now standard technique of using a strip-planked core as a former for a special fibreglass and epoxy covering, inside and out which possessed enormous strength. This is now popularly known as the West System, after the material suppliers (The original Rocket 31 was also built this way, in 1983.)
The first GRP hull was built for Bob Walker, and Ross Field’s successful Paddy Wagon was the first 88 launched.
For the record, the deck mould was also built under my supervision as designer in the Land yard, with no design input from anyone other than Roger Land, who painstakingly attended to detail and faithfully observed the design philosophy throughout the whole development of the Young 88. The cabin was later slightly lengthened to improve cruising comfort (the Mark II cabin).
The Young 88 association in NZ currently owns the moulds. I retain the copyright.”

I have a bunch more info on young's in Australia if you are interested message me dbmgreen (at) me (dot) com

Melbourne Y88s
Young Lion was imported into Melbourne at much the same time as Young at Heart, both in 1984. Both are here in Melbourne. Rapid Transit was originally a cntreboard version, later changed to a fixed keel and renamed Final Fling. I sold her a couple of years ago and she is now renamed again Pretty Young Thing and sails out of Royal Brighton. We have two more Y88s at Sandringham; Watermark 11 which was a late import from Wellington and Carbine which is ex Hanky Panky, one of the very last boats built.

#58 Munter

Munter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:14 AM

So I'm still looking for a boat. A broker has suggested a Robertson 950. A little bigger than the Young and a little more modern. I can't find much about them on the interweb - what does SA know about the Robertson 950? It seems like a modern, lightweight design but does it actually go?

http://www.yachtandb...-sail-boats-nsw

#59 Stubby

Stubby

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 04:11 AM

So I'm still looking for a boat. A broker has suggested a Robertson 950. A little bigger than the Young and a little more modern. I can't find much about them on the interweb - what does SA know about the Robertson 950? It seems like a modern, lightweight design but does it actually go?

http://www.yachtandb...-sail-boats-nsw

Modern might be a bit of a stretch looking at those pictures... Posted Image

#60 Stubby

Stubby

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 04:19 AM

Linky

I wouldn't discount this one, I used to race on it when I first started out on big boats. It's sitting at Sandringham YC waiting to be sold, the owner really wants to see it go to a good home. The pictures actually make it look more spartan than it is downstairs, it's not quite a bene, but its still comfy.

#61 Melbourne A31

Melbourne A31

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 04:58 AM

For the same sort of money as the Robertson I would have thought that Young Lion was worth looking at.
For something a bit different try this http://www.sundancem...ed-yacht/?id=60

#62 Pokey uh da LBC

Pokey uh da LBC

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:53 PM

One cool thing about the Young 88 is you could call it Crazy 88 and get Gogo to work foredeck and be your post race enforcer.

#63 jc172528

jc172528

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,007 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:42 PM

Munter what did you end up with?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users