23 replies to this topic

#1 TalonF4U

TalonF4U

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:48 PM

OK....the IC's are awesome boats and the class is full of stalwarts with 20+ years in the class. So, I'm the noob, but I'm thinking about the 2014 Worlds in Richmond and how to make them awesome and use them for an excuse for a general canoe resurgance in the US. Get things kicking this summer and we have a chance to get some more fresh hulls and faces on the line in '14.

Problems & Solutions, by Steve (Feel free to insert your own...as if I really have to say that on SA)

The monster in the room is Problem #1: Getting more boats on the water

a) If you own a canoe, take it sailing. If you aren't interested in sailing it, sell it to someone who is.
B) To get folks sailing, we need events. This is going to happen, initially, by some kind of consensus amongst the three regional collections of boats (East coast, West coast, Gulf coast) whereby they all call each other and get some commitments. Once regattas start happening, even with small fleets, more will come. Props to the Gulf guys for setting up a Midwinters. East coast, West coast, when are the races???
c) We need to get the old boats out of the woodwork. I know most people contend that the Nethercotts are obsolote compared to the new rules boats, but they are certianly close enough together in most conditions to make it fun, and there is going to be a One-Design class at the worlds. So, to you prospective canoeists, you can win a class at Worlds with that Nethercott. So...Let's, as a class, track down those old boats and get them on the market. I will happily buy an older boat in need of some TLC, put it together, and loan it out locally until I sell it to a new addict.
d) We need to make newer boats available to those who might have some scratch but be unwilling/unable to put in the time & effort for a full build. I know that on the West Coast, there is talk of building the major peices (hull, seat, carriage, etc) and putting them up on the market for someone to finish out. Anyone interested?
e) Once again, I can't emphasise enough how important it is to get those older boats sailing. Get someone hooked via a boat loan, like Bill got me hooked by loaning me a boat, and eventually they'll end up building themselves a new boat, like I'm doing. And, really, can anyone think of a way to go faster for less than a used Canoe?

Problem #2: Organization of the class, to help solve problem #1
a) We need a website to get general intrest and points of refrence. The old one crashed. I will build this website and pay for it. Tell me what things you want on it, but I've got a good idea. I'm thinking www.international-canoe-usa.org, which is available. A forum for classifieds and discussion, boatbuilding photos and class specs, regattas and events, history, Worlds info, a news feed, etc. Comments?
B) We need...some kind of class organziation. It's been there in the past, but it has fallen through. I think this class would benifit from young, dumb excitement like mine, but needs to rely on some of the serious experience that's around for senior leadership. So, you old guys, call each other and figure out who's in charge. Tell me where to send the check for my dues. We'll worry about the newsletter later.

Now, discuss....but first, rig up the boat and go sailing. Then post.

#2 ortegakid

ortegakid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts
  • Interests:High performance sailing, motorcycle road racing.

Posted 29 February 2012 - 05:35 PM

Oustanding!, and as another IC newb, just what we need! I bought mine and had it shipped across country very reasonably. Any one ever in my area(dfw Texas), happy to let try, she is pretty bullet proof now.

#3 Steve Clark

Steve Clark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,154 posts
  • Interests:Human folly.

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:17 PM

ATG was the gatekeeper to the web stuff. But I think most of it was lost in the last hack.
One of the guiding principles of ICs is that enthusiasm trumps all.
Go for it.
SHC

#4 Del Olsen

Del Olsen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:19 AM

Well I'd hoped to have a few more cats hurded into the corral before going public with a 'Schedule' but here goes.
Just remember it's Preliminary and subject to additions or deletions based on popular demand.

IC West 2012 Prelininary Schedule

March 3 RYC Sail-a-Small-Boat-Day
March 4 RYC Midwinters #4
April 1 Sail-a-Canoe-Day
April14-15 RYC Big Dinghy
May 27-27 Whiskeytown Regatta, Redding CA
June 30/
July1 Training Weekend, Clear Lake
Sept 15-16 US National, RYC
Sept 30 Sail-a-Canoe-Day
Oct 14 Training Day
Nov 4 Training day
Dec 2 RYC Mid-winters #1

3-1-12

#5 MountainCat

MountainCat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Interests:A-cats, Windsurfing, Skiing and Trail Running.

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:56 AM

Oustanding!, and as another IC newb, just what we need! I bought mine and had it shipped across country very reasonably. Any one ever in my area(dfw Texas), happy to let try, she is pretty bullet proof now.

ortegakid,

Please PM me with information about shipping IC's across the US. Thanks.

#6 ortegakid

ortegakid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 04:21 AM

Thx Del!, will try and make it out there for at least one of the days! And MC; U-ship is the place for transport, at least was for me!

#7 richklein

richklein

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Interests:By trade: animation, photography, digital compositing, retouching
    For distraction: cycling, acoustic design, audio recording, interactive projection, contemporary art

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:48 AM

As a brand new newbie I am very very excited to be part of promoting the class. I am a commercial photographer/animator and am volunteering my services for any image editing/ enhancement/formatting and or shooting and or video editing needed for the website or any print materials. I would to see us produce illustrated/video tuning guides, video maneuver tutorials and interviews with the top sailors, designers and builders. In ICs those are many times the same people.

I remember looking at the tutorials for the Contender and ended up with a real feel for the boat and came away wantIng to know more about it. I was able to get a close up view of the boat underway and it was the next best thing to sailing one. It was nice to see the support and community on the web.

We have a great group of long time, top notch, loyal to the class sailors generously sharing knowledge in the forums and I would like to see that come through the website as part of our branding. The community is a powerful asset to go with such a great boat. Remember that younger sailors are very used to seeing web videos and it would help to demystify the boat and make them more likely to seek out a ride.

#8 JimC

JimC

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,706 posts
  • Interests:Dinghies, especially box rule classes.

Posted 03 March 2012 - 12:06 PM

I can't think of much that would be more valuable than a really good set of how-to videos. Sadly I have neither the facilities nor the cat herding talents to do anything about it. We can always host them on the International site, so that's not an issue unless you produce something really huge.

I could do with some contributions for the International Website while I'm at it. Its intended mainly just to point to the nations, but there's a post on the forum about things I need, history and some graphics for example.

#9 MountainCat

MountainCat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Interests:A-cats, Windsurfing, Skiing and Trail Running.

Posted 04 March 2012 - 04:19 AM

OK....the IC's are awesome boats and the class is full of stalwarts with 20+ years in the class. So, I'm the noob, but I'm thinking about the 2014 Worlds in Richmond and how to make them awesome and use them for an excuse for a general canoe resurgance in the US. Get things kicking this summer and we have a chance to get some more fresh hulls and faces on the line in '14.

a) We need a website to get general intrest and points of refrence. The old one crashed. I will build this website and pay for it. Tell me what things you want on it, but I've got a good idea. I'm thinking www.international-canoe-usa.org, which is available. A forum for classifieds and discussion, boatbuilding photos and class specs, regattas and events, history, Worlds info, a news feed, etc. Comments?

We need...some kind of class organziation. It's been there in the past, but it has fallen through. I think this class would benifit from young, dumb excitement like mine, but needs to rely on some of the serious experience that's around for senior leadership. So, you old guys, call each other and figure out who's in charge. Tell me where to send the check for my dues. We'll worry about the newsletter later.

Excellent Post.

I don't even qualify as a noob. I haven't even had my first ride on an IC yet. One thing holding me back from buying a boat tomorrow is the lack of organization. The other is that there are no other IC's within 800 miles. Despite those issues, I am very excited to purchase a boat, start sailing and begin building a new rules boat.

As a pre-noob, I found the class to be very mysterious. No US builder with a web site. No new boats for sale. No racing schedules. No US web site. No listing of used boats for sale. Beyond the SA forum, there seamed to be no US organization at all. At first, I had no idea how to become involved.

I agree with TalonF4U that a good web site is crucial to class growth. It sure would have helped me along the way.

I have been in far too many bureaucratic membership organizations with exorbitant dues that have lost touch with the members. As a result, I am not in favor of paid dues or legal organizations that require officers and expensive insurance for liability. In this age of free communication, I don't think a dues collecting organization is necessary. Newsletters can be distributed for free by email or just posted and web sites can be hosted for no charge as well.

I spent a day creating a North American IC Interest Group web site at http://icna.jumpwiki.../wiki/Main_Page.

It's pretty basic with not much content, but it answers many of the questions I had when I first learned about IC's. Check it out and let me know what you think. Better yet, change it to make it better. Being a wiki, anyone can add content or edit the pages. I think that will encourage participation and also spread the work load of keeping it maintained. The small ads pay for the site. For $20 a year, the ads can be removed.

If there is interest, the look of the site can be improved with a customized style sheet.

mcat

#10 ortegakid

ortegakid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 04:59 AM

Thx, will post asap!

#11 ortegakid

ortegakid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 05:00 AM

And Thx Rich!, any time you need pix of how not to do it, hit me up!

#12 usa7776

usa7776

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 05:21 AM

One thing you should consider w any website is linking it to Facebook. Custom websites tend to not be as lively because the community usually has a hard time posting their content. facebook provides an easy and quick way to do that. it also makes it easy to share pictures and posts w other friends and people outside the canoe interest group. 90% of what you want to accomplish can be done on facebook. I think you still need your base website as an anchor for info and activity.

#13 JimC

JimC

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:59 AM

90% of what you want to accomplish can be done on facebook.

But you eliminate a good number of people who won't go near it. I don't for example. There's a lot to be said for being completely open standards and independant from the latest fad.

#14 usa7776

usa7776

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 02:51 PM

No you don't eliminate anyone. it's a part of what your site is. Jim, sailanarchy has about 20k "followers" on facebook. the decision is yours(the canoe organization), but it's a great tool when used properly.
I have been able to expose friends to various sailing experiences who would never have even looked had it not been for facebook. Some were sailors some not.

Young people use it a lot.
Keep in mind the US canoe organization lost visibility because they couldn't maintain their site. it's not an uncommon problem.

You want to post pictures, regatta schedules, add comments to various topics, that's all facebook is.

Again, it's not in place of a main site, but have a site that is simple and requires little maintenance and use FB for quick postings, discussions and pictures.
I think all the major lofts use it to some extent, many classes use it, SA users use it.
I'm not breaking new ground here.

I see where people are asking for pictures and videos about the IC, No easier way to get them out to a bunch of people then FB and facilitate discussion.
I have a small circle of FB friends, but they have seen what a canoe is and have had discussion because I posted a video and pictures.
A canoe site will attract people interested in canoes. Fb has the potential to show people who aren't looking at canoes what a canoe is.

#15 richklein

richklein

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Interests:By trade: animation, photography, digital compositing, retouching
    For distraction: cycling, acoustic design, audio recording, interactive projection, contemporary art

Posted 04 March 2012 - 04:27 PM

The bad news for anyone trying to get the word out about somethjng great these days is that the target audiences are fractured up by modes of communication. It takes a multi pronged approach to reach everybody. The good news is that the tools are available for little cost (just your personal search info and posts) and anyone can use them. It used to cost Flying Scot loads of cash to program a web site that users could change the content on, now we have FB. It is used by everyone under 30, Remember it started life (like texting) as a way to talk to your friends in secret from your parents. We need a US IC site as an anchor with material that is timeless with links to FB. People coming in through the international site will find the US site, find basic good info abour the boat and find links to FB and the Sailing Anachy threads, and wiki threads. Each has it strenths and we need a mix. Once everybody comes up to speed on what info is where ie sticky items like how to tutorials on the US site, day to say user posts on SA and FB, FB for broadcasting announcements to a friends group and having people stumble upon us things will smooth out. When someone searchs it is good to have a handful of links pop up and using all avanues make that more likely. The problem is there is more to keep track of but in the long run it apreads out the workload to the community and let's everyone participate. This thread is case in point.

#16 Steve Clark

Steve Clark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,154 posts
  • Interests:Human folly.

Posted 04 March 2012 - 05:54 PM

IC Facebook page:
http://www.facebook....146397738706331
SHC

#17 usa7776

usa7776

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 06:06 PM

Maybe I am missing something, but I can't seem to post. Maybe it needs to be a group?

#18 usa7776

usa7776

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 06:14 PM

Here try this, I just set it up.
http://www.facebook.com/USICSailing
Feel free to join, post pictures get things rolling.

#19 ortegakid

ortegakid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:26 PM

Ok, I posted on FB, now everyone else plz do also! And Big D, post some vid from yesterday!

#20 TalonF4U

TalonF4U

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:46 AM

Ok gents, the very basic site is up : www.international-canoe-usa.org

By basic, I mean I literally have arranged hosting and started working on it half an hour ago. Did I mention I'm a web noob? Yeah, so give me a minute to get it kicking. But what I need from YOU: Hi-res photos of canoes kicking ass. send 'em to me at talonf4u@gmail.com so I can get some basic canoe content going.

East Coast guys, who's in charge over there? When are your events?

No Coast guys, when are your events? Post 'em here and I'll put 'em on the site.

#21 c maas

c maas

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:19 AM

That's an excellent start Mr G. Well done. Thanks.

#22 JimC

JimC

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:21 PM

That's an excellent start Mr G. Well done. Thanks.

USA guys, do you want me to change the link on www.intcanoe.org to this one?

Mr G, suggest you consider these links for your forum and history stuff:

History:
Think you could ue either of these as a start location...
http://www.intcanoe.org/ichistory2000.php
http://www.intcanoe.org/ichistory1850.php

or even link to all 4 - the others are
http://www.intcanoe.org/ichistory1900.php
http://www.intcanoe.org/ichistory1950.php

Forum:
http://www.intcanoe.org/forum2/ [general]
http://www.intcanoe.org/forum2/viewforum.php?f=12 [US Area]

regards, Jim C

#23 eliboat

eliboat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:47 PM

Nice going on getting the website going. I'm charged with doing the 110 class site, and I do a very shitty job because the reality is that it is hard work and I don't have the time! At any rate, setting up a forum is pretty easy and takes about five clicks of the mouse through your web host Cpanel. With forums, you really need to stay on top of moderating so that russian spammers and penis pump salesmen don't take over, and you need to do this on a couple of fronts. I agree that Facebook is a great way to keep the conversation active. We use it with the 110's, and it has been a really good way to build momentum within the class and encourage discussion. Del, as far as staying away from Facebook, I completely understand your stance on that, and my attitude is similar, although I do have a profile...that I never update and it doesn't contain any personal information and it isn't linked to an email address that has anything to do with me. Going that route allows participation to the degree that you might want without all the other creepy bullshit.

#24 wee mcp

wee mcp

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:42 PM

ATG was the gatekeeper to the web stuff. But I think most of it was lost in the last hack.
One of the guiding principles of ICs is that enthusiasm trumps all.
Go for it.
SHC

Hi Guys,
Have you tried to get some archived stuff from the old site by using "the wayback machine" at http://web.archive.org
I've had a quick look and there appears to be over 60 snapshots of www.intcanoe.us mainly between 2004 - 2007. Still, it may give you some historical stuf for you to work with.

Ian McP

IC GBR305

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users