• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 amtdys

amtdys

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:25 PM

I'm in the market for a race-ready MHOB J-29, preferably somewhere on the east coast. Does anyone know of one that's potentially for sale? Saw on an earlier post that only one more entry is needed for a OD division at Charleston, which I could definitely help with...

#2 Flying Fish

Flying Fish

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Interests:the next boat

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:40 PM

Great choice. There are a few on the market at the moment and all under 14,000. Forget which sites but should be easy to find

I owned one a few years ago and one of the best boats I have ever had. Almost all have some core wetness in spots and need some repairs around the shroud and mast areas. The rudder pintles also go through a core of wood and the lower holes are usually a problem which leads to the entire section needing replaced. It is isolated and not a problem.

If J boats had built one version it would have been one of the best one designs ever.

#3 amtdys

amtdys

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:49 PM

Great choice. There are a few on the market at the moment and all under 14,000. Forget which sites but should be easy to find

I owned one a few years ago and one of the best boats I have ever had. Almost all have some core wetness in spots and need some repairs around the shroud and mast areas. The rudder pintles also go through a core of wood and the lower holes are usually a problem which leads to the entire section needing replaced. It is isolated and not a problem.

If J boats had built one version it would have been one of the best one designs ever.

Yeah... I figure any 20+ year old boat will have some wet spots - chalk that up to the cost of doing business. I've checked the usual suspects in terms of website classifieds, but have come across only west coast boats, fractional/inboards, or ones that look like they'll need quite a bit of TLC (and definitely won't be race ready by springtime).

Thanks for the advice... when I eventually find one, I'll definitely pass it on to the surveyor...

#4 C-Rock

C-Rock

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:57 AM

I know of one that should be up for sale on a trailer. Owner bought a J 105, but I have not heard of it going up for sale yet. I bought the boat 1st from Massachusetts Maritime Academy had a new trailer made for it and like an idiot sold it, but have bought another. Call Freemen Eckley at 440-967-0260 ask for Al Parell He should know whats going on. I have some pictures of it when I bought it a few years ago. Boat is now in Vermillion Ohio on Lake Erie. It has quite a sail inventory and new instruments I saw it last summer looked good still. Current owner had it surveyed so he should have it still and I think it was from October of 2010. I am sure they did the bottom it has a 9.9 electric start so I am thinking you would drive up pick it up and start racing.

Cliff

#5 RobbieB

RobbieB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:07 PM

Just sent a PM to you. There's one in Charleston. "Mongo". Good boat and already there for CRW!

216 now.

#6 jesposito

jesposito

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,643 posts
  • Interests:cycling, skiing and depressing the competition on the race course

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:00 PM

The fastest most successful J/29 in the WORLD Hustler could be had for 50K with new sails and trailer ;)

#7 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:42 PM

The fastest most successful J/29 in the WORLD Hustler could be had for 50K with new sails and trailer ;)

Then you could move up to a J105!

#8 jesposito

jesposito

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,643 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:20 PM

I would buy golf clubs first, and I hate golf. Go for root canal and a colonoscopy first ;)

#9 Matt B

Matt B

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 12:37 AM

Funny thing is John, if new sails and a trailer were worth anything, your number is probably not far off. If a good boat(yours) was worth $20k, Trailer $6k, then you would only need about $25k more in sails, which I am sure you have, unless Neil takes them back after you use them 2 or 3 times. What does a full set cost? Your third generation main is probably better than anything that comes on a $15,000 boat
How about $40k?

#10 jesposito

jesposito

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,643 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 02:00 AM

Funny thing is John, if new sails and a trailer were worth anything, your number is probably not far off. If a good boat(yours) was worth $20k, Trailer $6k, then you would only need about $25k more in sails, which I am sure you have, unless Neil takes them back after you use them 2 or 3 times. What does a full set cost? Your third generation main is probably better than anything that comes on a $15,000 boat
How about $40k?

Don't forget get the faired bottom , keel and rudder

#11 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,211 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 05:46 AM

How about $40k?

If he doesn't use them for wood pile covers he sells his 1 regatta old sails to other programs for them to use. I"ve seen Hustler sails on 2 other J/29's and raced with some of them recut for a S2 9.1.

Helps funs Neil's hooker and blow budget.

#12 amtdys

amtdys

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:12 PM

I know of one that should be up for sale on a trailer. Owner bought a J 105, but I have not heard of it going up for sale yet. I bought the boat 1st from Massachusetts Maritime Academy had a new trailer made for it and like an idiot sold it, but have bought another. Call Freemen Eckley at 440-967-0260 ask for Al Parell He should know whats going on. I have some pictures of it when I bought it a few years ago. Boat is now in Vermillion Ohio on Lake Erie. It has quite a sail inventory and new instruments I saw it last summer looked good still. Current owner had it surveyed so he should have it still and I think it was from October of 2010. I am sure they did the bottom it has a 9.9 electric start so I am thinking you would drive up pick it up and start racing.

Cliff

Thanks for the leads from Cliff and Robbie... I'll follow up ASAP and see what's available.

Sound's like even if I find a good boat, I'll be losing all local events to Hustler anyway...

While I can't swing $50K, how many hookers would it take to get some tuning tips?

#13 jesposito

jesposito

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,643 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:41 PM

Cliff

Thanks for the leads from Cliff and Robbie... I'll follow up ASAP and see what's available.

Sound's like even if I find a good boat, I'll be losing all local events to Hustler anyway...

While I can't swing $50K, how many hookers would it take to get some tuning tips?

Neil doesn't do the tuning I do.

#14 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 10:47 PM

How about $40k?

Soooooo, your boat is not class legal?

#15 jesposito

jesposito

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,643 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:15 PM

How about $40k?

I guess not

#16 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:55 AM

How about $40k?

I guess not

Sounds like the J105 class.

#17 Folding prop

Folding prop

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • Interests:Pissing off
    self-centered
    liberal jerks

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:38 PM

We use J 29s for RC work. They're just the best. We actually use them as marks. They come in a variety of colors, they're cheaper than inflatable marks, and most of all they're so slow we don't even have to use ground tackle to keep them in place. We leave them out over night and they're always there the next morning. There is even talk that they may replace the standard marks used in most regattas world wide. Once they no longer function as a mark, we convert them to giant ice chests. We sell the lead keels and buy beer. Just fill the whole inside with ice and seven or eight kegs. We have several taps installed just above the waterline. The J 29s really have made our racing program much more successful.

#18 L14719

L14719

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:00 AM

I'm in the market for a race-ready MHOB J-29, preferably somewhere on the east coast. Does anyone know of one that's potentially for sale? Saw on an earlier post that only one more entry is needed for a OD division at Charleston, which I could definitely help with...

I sail on a boat that fits your criteria. PM sent. Great boats.

Bill

#19 Green Bastard

Green Bastard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Interests:Cigrets 'n' dope...

Posted 08 March 2012 - 05:02 PM

Wow! With all of Espo's new sails/keel/hull/rudder, how embarrassing is it going to be when he gets beat by those country bumpkins in Atlantic Canada with their old fractional rig boats this summer!

#20 jesposito

jesposito

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,643 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 05:51 PM

Wow! With all of Espo's new sails/keel/hull/rudder, how embarrassing is it going to be when he gets beat by those country bumpkins in Atlantic Canada with their old fractional rig boats this summer!

You are forgetting a few years back when Cool Breeze came up there and got 2nd. Well let's put it this way they never beat me. I could here all you Canadians bitching now how we should have owed you time. Before you worry about getting up to my level ,working on trying to beat Seefest first ;)

#21 Kevlar Edge

Kevlar Edge

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,855 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 06:00 PM

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

#22 Green Bastard

Green Bastard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 06:25 PM

You are forgetting a few years back when Cool Breeze came up there and got 2nd. Well let's put it this way they never beat me. I could here all you Canadians bitching now how we should have owed you time. Before you worry about getting up to my level ,working on trying to beat Seefest first ;)

Espo - We would absolutely love for you to come and show us how fast you are this summer....and if you beat us, that's fantastic. We'll share some drinks and have a laugh about it. I assure you, there will be no griping about time owed....fracs are what we've got, so I guess that's what we have to roll with. You'll be beating former Olympians and World Champs, so all the power to ya!

Cheers!

#23 Inter 20

Inter 20

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:12 PM

I'm surprised you don't have shoulder problems since you seem to constantly pat yourself on the back. What other contortions can you perform?

#24 jesposito

jesposito

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,643 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:43 PM

I'm surprised you don't have shoulder problems since you seem to constantly pat yourself on the back. What other contortions can you perform?

No shoulder problems here, and 21 years of results to back it up ;)

#25 Inter 20

Inter 20

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:57 PM

Cool. I only have 2 World, 3 US Nat'l, 1 Australian Nat'l, 1 European, and 1 All-Japan Championship. Drove Sleds on many West Coast distance races. Skippered a VX 40 in Balt. Raced regattas in 24 different US states. Now I'm currently racing my J105 to pad my sailing resume.

#26 Squalamax

Squalamax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:12 PM

Espo - We would absolutely love for you to come and show us how fast you are this summer....and if you beat us, that's fantastic. We'll share some drinks and have a laugh about it. I assure you, there will be no griping about time owed....fracs are what we've got, so I guess that's what we have to roll with. You'll be beating former Olympians and World Champs, so all the power to ya!

Cheers!

Wouldn't be the first time Hustler has beat AC sailors/Olympians/World champs!

#27 Green Bastard

Green Bastard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:13 PM

Cheers!

I don't doubt it! We're just looking forward to lining up against him. When you're on top, everyone wants to take a swing at you! Should be fun...

Wouldn't be the first time Hustler has beat AC sailors/Olympians/World champs!

#28 Snaggletooth

Snaggletooth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,361 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 03:02 PM

A derame come triue!! :)

#29 jesposito

jesposito

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,643 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 03:13 PM

Cool. I only have 2 World, 3 US Nat'l, 1 Australian Nat'l, 1 European, and 1 All-Japan Championship. Drove Sleds on many West Coast distance races. Skippered a VX 40 in Balt. Raced regattas in 24 different US states. Now I'm currently racing my J105 to pad my sailing resume.

All that sailing you have done, means you probably don't work.
I am not sure sailing a j/105 is padding your resume, it tells me that is what you have been reduced too in your sailing career

#30 Inter 20

Inter 20

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 06:57 PM

Actually I work for one of those evil Wall Street firms, have 2 young boys, and enjoy sailing. I am an extreme high wind junkie which traces back to my cat and sailboard days. I found the J105 to be the best all-around boat in over 25 knots of true wind. We race in conditions that most clubs would cancel. Last month we raced in the open ocean with gusts into the mid 30s. The Farr 400 said they saw gusts to 42 knots true. I'm not sure if I believe that number. Not one boat of any design flew a kite. Several boats retired due to failures. About half of the 30 boats in the series never left the harbor. We hit 16.5 on the run and were under control the entire time. For us it was a great day of sailing and that is the bottom line. Bashing the J105 and those who sail them indicates to me a high level of ignorance or some form of envy. It's time to let it go. You're flogging a dead horse.

#31 Green Bastard

Green Bastard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 07:07 PM

Actually I work for one of those evil Wall Street firms, have 2 young boys, and enjoy sailing. I am an extreme high wind junkie which traces back to my cat and sailboard days. I found the J105 to be the best all-around boat in over 25 knots of true wind. We race in conditions that most clubs would cancel. Last month we raced in the open ocean with gusts into the mid 30s. The Farr 400 said they saw gusts to 42 knots true. I'm not sure if I believe that number. Not one boat of any design flew a kite. Several boats retired due to failures. About half of the 30 boats in the series never left the harbor. We hit 16.5 on the run and were under control the entire time. For us it was a great day of sailing and that is the bottom line. Bashing the J105 and those who sail them indicates to me a high level of ignorance or some form of envy. It's time to let it go. You're flogging a dead horse.

You should charter a J/29 for the 2012 North Americans and show us how it's done! We'd love to have you in Lunenburg and Chester this summer!

#32 jesposito

jesposito

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,643 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:12 PM

You should charter a J/29 for the 2012 North Americans and show us how it's done! We'd love to have you in Lunenburg and Chester this summer!

Blowhards won't come and charter a boat, they will just sit behind there keyboards and tell us how great they are and the big boats they've sailed on, and how fast they sailed there J/105.
The 105 class is still the biggest colllection of wingnut in the country next to the Beneslow 36.7's

#33 Inter 20

Inter 20

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:51 PM

Every successful one-design class has a certain percentage of wooden ducks. Some more than others. It's important to remember that when you scan the fleet and you can't spot the wooden ducks then.....

#34 Inter 20

Inter 20

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 09:53 PM

If I were inclined to spend $20,000 plus a charter fee to go race, it probably wouldn't be to race J29s 3000 miles from home. I am thinking of a new F-18 NACRA Infusion for the Worlds in Long Beach. A new boat costs about the same. That would be a better allocation of my resources. After the regatta, I still own the Infusion. Unless you have sailed a F-18, it's hard to imagine how much fun it is. Why is the AC now in cats?

#35 Green Bastard

Green Bastard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 10:07 PM

If I were inclined to spend $20,000 plus a charter fee to go race, it probably wouldn't be to race J29s 3000 miles from home. I am thinking of a new F-18 NACRA Infusion for the Worlds in Long Beach. A new boat costs about the same. That would be a better allocation of my resources. After the regatta, I still own the Infusion. Unless you have sailed a F-18, it's hard to imagine how much fun it is. Why is the AC now in cats?

I agree....beach cats are a blast, and F-18s are the way to go.
For so many reasons its hard to justify racing 25 year old boats at 6 knots....but then again, buying a new boat is not on everyone's radar. In the Atlantic J/29 fleet, the racing it tight, the people are friendly, and those are the boats we have. C'est la vie....

#36 Snaggletooth

Snaggletooth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,361 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:07 AM

Bashing the J105 and those who sail them indicates to me a high level of ignorance or some form of envy. It's time to let it go. You're flogging a dead horse.

You cante saye thate abote Expo!! Hese a worlde classe salior!! He wonne a rollxe ounce!! :)

Blowhards won't come and charter a boat, they will just sit behind there keyboards and tell us how great they are

Expo is cominge!!! You beste wache oute an dprepaire to bebeetten Novva Scottiens!!! :)

#37 Squalamax

Squalamax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:17 AM

$20,000??? Are you going to buy one of the 29's? $5000 should do it, and thats chump change for one of you wall street types. Put together a crew and do it. Its Nova Scotia, not San Diego. Everything is pretty cheap! $150 entrance fees and $300 launch and haul is unheard of.

#38 Inter 20

Inter 20

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:22 PM

$20,000??? Are you going to buy one of the 29's? $5000 should do it, and thats chump change for one of you wall street types. Put together a crew and do it. Its Nova Scotia, not San Diego. Everything is pretty cheap! $150 entrance fees and $300 launch and haul is unheard of.

I guess you don't pay for your crews' expenses. My crew would jump at the chance to sail a J29 in Nova Scotia. I mean that's got to be a chance of a lifetime for them. With such a short sailing season I can understand your enthusiasm. Our club has already had 10 days of racing this year and this Wednesday is the first of that series which ends in October. I live 12 minutes from my boat and the starting line is about another 10 minutes.

#39 'moondance44

'moondance44

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,165 posts
  • Location:Dodgy Bit Of Stamford, CT and The Cows, Graveyard of LIS where bluefish get blown off wire leaders

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:53 PM

If you were in the ocean running before 30+ knots of wind I would imagine you would be surfing better than 16.5kts. Why so slow?

#40 Inter 20

Inter 20

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:04 PM

If you were in the ocean running before 30+ knots of wind I would imagine you would be surfing better than 16.5kts. Why so slow?

Jib only on the run. The course was not square so the run was a deep reach with only one jibe at the weather mark. The wind was NNW and the ground swell was from the west therefore surfing didn't give you much extra speed. Our top speed was attained in a rather flat section with a big gust. All the forecast models did not predict this extreme wind event. Luckily the seas hadn't had a chance to build. If we had raced a day or two later it would have been a different story on the runs.

#41 Folding prop

Folding prop

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts
    self-centered
    liberal jerks

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:55 PM

It's a J/105,don't ya know?

#42 'moondance44

'moondance44

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,165 posts
  • Location:Dodgy Bit Of Stamford, CT and The Cows, Graveyard of LIS where bluefish get blown off wire leaders

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:02 PM

It's a J/105,don't ya know?

yeah.. probably pre scrimp or whatever the hell they call those sponges
NTTAWWT.

#43 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,624 posts
  • Interests:margaritas, hippie chicks, durable flying discs for retriever dog play

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:06 AM

Kurt has a nice fractional rig j-29 he would love to sell at AYC. Unless there is somespecial reason you want a mast ehad rig, I think there are good cases to be made that either rig is just fine.

i will find you and your crew EACH a loaner boat for the weekend.

Why doncha come down and sail the Easter regatta and tow teh J-29 home??

#44 jesposito

jesposito

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,643 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:03 PM

Kurt has a nice fractional rig j-29 he would love to sell at AYC. Unless there is somespecial reason you want a mast ehad rig, I think there are good cases to be made that either rig is just fine.

i will find you and your crew EACH a loaner boat for the weekend.

Why doncha come down and sail the Easter regatta and tow teh J-29 home??

Finally someone with a brain.

#45 Folding prop

Folding prop

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts
    self-centered
    liberal jerks

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:56 PM

With all these versions of J/29s out there, do you use ratings when racing in so-called one-design regattas? Isn't winning the J/29 NAs like taking your sister to the prom and then banging her when you get back home to the trailer park. Seems about as hollow as a Chocolate Easter Bunny.

#46 Snaggletooth

Snaggletooth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,361 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 05:04 PM

With all these versions of J/29s out there, do you use ratings when racing in so-called one-design regattas? Isn't winning the J/29 NAs like taking your sister to the prom and then banging her when you get back home to the trailer park. Seems about as hollow as a Chocolate Easter Bunny.

picts ore it didente happende :)

#47 WCB

WCB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,624 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 05:51 PM

Take a look at sailingtexas.com if somebody is still looking for a J29. There's one on there from MD for $9,800

#48 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,624 posts
  • Interests:margaritas, hippie chicks, durable flying discs for retriever dog play

Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:23 AM

Seems about as hollow as a Chocolate Easter Bunny.

Which is why I always pass out solid chocolate bunnies as prizes ....

#49 kevlar®

kevlar®

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,697 posts
  • Interests:Poor taste.

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:02 AM

Jammin may still be over in Keyport NJ. I haven't been over there in a while.. forget if its a masthead or not.

#50 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,624 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:46 AM

Jammin may still be over in Keyport NJ. I haven't been over there in a while.. forget if its a masthead or not.

Jammin is here in Austin and as far as I know is not currently on the market.

#51 Squalamax

Squalamax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:28 AM

I guess you don't pay for your crews' expenses. My crew would jump at the chance to sail a J29 in Nova Scotia. I mean that's got to be a chance of a lifetime for them. With such a short sailing season I can understand your enthusiasm. Our club has already had 10 days of racing this year and this Wednesday is the first of that series which ends in October. I live 12 minutes from my boat and the starting line is about another 10 minutes.

I pay for most expenses except airfair. That includes several years of Key West trips, CRW, Annapolis and Detroit NOODS. Airfair for 7 guys adds another 4K or so depending on the airfair deals, so still under 10K for the trip.

I'm not from NS, I'm from South Dartmouth, Ma. on Buzzards Bay. We have a 6 month sailing season here, but we always travel during the winter, so I always get my fix.

#52 amtdys

amtdys

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 07:16 PM

Thanks to everyone who replied to this original post for their advice, and big thanks to Rick Swann and Scott Willard for selling me my new (1985) MHOB! Because the boat was previously raced without the spinnaker, I'm in the market for downwind deck hardware. In reading prior threads, it seems people are split between single-line systems with a twing, and double-line systems with lazy sheets/guys. The air is usually really light where I'll be racing, so I think I'm going to stick with the twing setup. So my question to the collective is, what do I need to get? Do people use snatch blocks or rings for the twing? Where do you put the block/cleat... T-track, or snap shackle to stanchion base?
Thanks for the help, and I'm sure I'll have any more questions going forward... Next project is re-wiring.

#53 Sailing_Rugger

Sailing_Rugger

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:03 PM

Someone started a thread asking to get INTO a sailing class... cockfighting ensued for no reason at all but to measure each other's dick...

and we wonder why sailing is on the decline?

Props to you though, amtdys, for finding a good one! I grew up (literally, from age 8 to 18) sailing on my family's J/29 MHIB here in Cleveland and it was a phenomenal time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users