163 replies to this topic

#1 DaveK

DaveK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,745 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:24 PM

What's the news??? Haven't seen a thread yet and the race starts tomorrow. Had breakfast with the Weta distributor from Florida this morning and he mentioned the race with 2 Wetas again attempting this.

One of my favorite reads about racing so please post updates!! And pics.... And where's Tom Ray?? You going to the start?

#2 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,094 posts
  • Interests:~~/)/)~~

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:39 PM

Yes, I'm loading up my stuff right now to depart. Lots of interesting entries as usual, but by far the craziest award this year has to go to reigning Sun Cat National Champion Scott W, who is doing the race in a Puddle Duck Racer. There is a picture of it on Dogslife's blog and here is Scott's write up about it.

#3 DaveK

DaveK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,745 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:50 PM

That's crazy in the puddle duck although I did see a sunfish had registered.

Please post pics Tom!!

#4 MisterMoon

MisterMoon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:08 PM

I'm at the skippers meeting right now. Posting updates on twitter @MisterMoon_CS17.

Big group here. Some very cool boats and very cool folks.

#5 DaveK

DaveK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,745 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:31 PM

I have never used or followed anyone on twitter but here goes

#6 MisterMoon

MisterMoon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 01:42 AM

I only use twitter once a year for this.

sitting here mulling the weather and not liking my choices. Going to be hard first day tomorrow. I expect a lot of attrition.

#7 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,094 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 02:04 AM

I figure quite a few will just leave Saturday night or Sunday. I think that's what I would do. The forecast from wxunderground:

Saturday South winds around 20 knots. Seas 3 to 5 feet. Bay and inland waters choppy. Patchy fog in the morning. A chance of thunderstorms in the afternoon. Saturday Night West winds around 20 knots becoming northwest 25 knots toward morning with gusts to gale force. Seas 5 to 7 feet. Bay and inland waters rough. A slight chance of showers in the evening...then showers likely after midnight.

Once the front moves through, it will be beautiful with a tailwind. Before it goes through, it will be tough. While it's going through, it will be a good time to be on land.

#8 Rasputin22

Rasputin22

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 02:55 AM

I figure quite a few will just leave Saturday night or Sunday. I think that's what I would do. The forecast from wxunderground:

Saturday South winds around 20 knots. Seas 3 to 5 feet. Bay and inland waters choppy. Patchy fog in the morning. A chance of thunderstorms in the afternoon. Saturday Night West winds around 20 knots becoming northwest 25 knots toward morning with gusts to gale force. Seas 5 to 7 feet. Bay and inland waters rough. A slight chance of showers in the evening...then showers likely after midnight.

Once the front moves through, it will be beautiful with a tailwind. Before it goes through, it will be tough. While it's going through, it will be a good time to be on land.

Front just came through here in the Alabama Gulf coast just west of Pensacola. The first blast as the shift started was pretty sudden and vigorous, but should fill in real nice for record setting NW winds. Just be careful during the front passage. Like mentioned above, you might be best on the beach resting while the shit hits the fan, and then head out with the wind shift. Timing looks pretty good for your start in the morning... Good luck to all you wacko's!

#9 DaveK

DaveK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,745 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 02:46 PM

I only use twitter once a year for this.

sitting here mulling the weather and not liking my choices. Going to be hard first day tomorrow. I expect a lot of attrition.

Mistermoon is off and running!! I'll be watching ya since I'm actually following someone on Twitter....lol. I like the SPOT updates.

http://www.findmespo...ation/?id=7CwkX

#10 Crump's Brother

Crump's Brother

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 03:01 PM

Any word on Sew Sew (Randy Smyth?) Either he didn't make the start, or forgot to turn his SPOT on.

KB

#11 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 03:50 PM

I'm at the skippers meeting right now. Posting updates on twitter @MisterMoon_CS17.

Big group here. Some very cool boats and very cool folks.

Very cool....

#12 DaveK

DaveK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,745 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 03:51 PM

Bumpy and macho man are out front in a Tornado

#13 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,094 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 05:46 PM

Sew Sew started. I have it on video. He quickly blasted out of sight.

I'm going to have to retract my earlier statement about Scott being craziest in his Puddle Duck. There was a Sunfish and some little blue thing that had him beat, IMO, and what appeared to be another Puddle Duck. Or something. Pics and video to follow.

#14 zerothehero

zerothehero

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,388 posts
  • Interests:sailing. Duh.

Posted 04 March 2012 - 04:12 AM

I have been at the start and all the pre race prep for the last 2 days. Some very cool boats. Who flunked the sanity test? For starters, the nutshell pram going to Key Largo????? The Sunfish going to CP1 (but he has done it before), The E scow complete with water ballast and 2 crew (pics to follow), oh and everyone who launched today. It was carnage and hats off to whoever is still out there. The Tornado took off like a bullet (as expected), the Prindle 19 giving good chase. As of this posting many boats are just past the bay, to the south, in the IC. Today headwinds were 15-20 right on the nose. Waves on the bay were short and very steep. One Hobie Tandem Island was holed when their drive breached the hull. There were other casualties as well (broken rigs, busted eguip.) and a few that went home before launching to live to fight another day. Tonight a front comes through with a shift to the north/north west with 20+ expected. I have about 100 pics including SewSew, Meade G, Slider, MisterMoon, the tornado ,the H18,16, custom boats, and others. Will post when home. Came down to scope it out. Before you judge, remember its 300+- miles with certain filters to keep out certain types of boats. Sailing at night is expected. Right now it is 15+ out of the south here on ST. Pete Beach with 4-8 foot wind chop swell, very short frequency ( at 11.10 pm). Some of the boats may look like garage projects but remember..... They are here, you are not. Some have finished before taking very good care of the crew. Most have put in countless hours to get here in the first place, and all have a drive, not to sail what is normal and predictable, but what is unique, personally challenging and able (hopefully) to go 300+ miles in less than 8 days.

#15 Multihauler

Multihauler

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 04:32 AM

I have been at the start and all the pre race prep for the last 2 days.......

Guys,

Thanks for the updates.

Please keep 'em coming!!!

-MH

#16 joey g

joey g

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:21 PM

Looks like bumpy pulled into the beach for the night.

Joe

#17 Fat Point Jack

Fat Point Jack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:24 PM

I'm about 20 miles from checkpoint 1. The wind starting blowing real hard at 2AM, 20+. The front with rain came thru about 6:30. A tough night for a sail. The start for today's Conquistador Cup reverse handicap has been delayed 1 hour.

#18 MisterMoon

MisterMoon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:55 PM

We're on the downwind side of siesta key bridge. Epic day yesterday, blowing 30+ now. Going to sit tight for a couple hours.

#19 DaveK

DaveK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,745 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 02:15 PM

We're on the downwind side of siesta key bridge. Epic day yesterday, blowing 30+ now. Going to sit tight for a couple hours.

I can't seem to find your SPOT? Do you know if it's working? And how do you do your updates and keep whatever your updating with charged?

#20 DaveK

DaveK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,745 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 02:19 PM

The Hobie 18 and Tornado are parked together on the same beach.

#21 RedTuna

RedTuna

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 02:21 PM

WaterTribe Tracking

http://www.watertrib...engeMapper.aspx

#22 Crump's Brother

Crump's Brother

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 02:30 PM

#23 JMD

JMD

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,393 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 02:57 PM

Wouldn't want to end up alone in the vicinity of one of the war canoes. Liable to be cannibalism.

Perhaps a stupid question, but why is a Sunfish any more crazy than all of the 1KSB home builds and kayaks? Other than the total lack of stowage space.

Edit: And I can't tell for certain from the graininess of this picture and the rear-only view but the Sunfish seems to have reached a key demographic:
Posted Image

#24 MisterMoon

MisterMoon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 03:06 PM

That's his daughter. To see me you have to select the event UM2012.

#25 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,094 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 03:07 PM

The Sunfish is more crazy mostly because of the lack of space, but when I wrote that I did not know that he is only going to checkpoint one. That's not that crazy.

#26 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,094 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 03:18 PM

Posted Image

#27 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,094 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 03:42 PM

Walking the beach at daybreak before the start. Sorry I'm lousy at holding it still.

#28 Steam Flyer

Steam Flyer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,019 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 03:46 PM

Awesome event!

Thanks Tom and seriously, my hat is off to all those competing in this.

FB- Doug

#29 DaveK

DaveK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,745 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 04:17 PM

That's his daughter. To see me you have to select the event UM2012.

So your the smart one only doing 67 miles! That's the only way I could do this.

#30 TimFordi550#87

TimFordi550#87

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,032 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 04:20 PM

Walking the beach at daybreak before the start. Sorry I'm lousy at holding it still.

Great video....it's like watching something that Phil Bolger would dream around 4 a.m.
Thanks for posting it!

#31 JMD

JMD

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,393 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 04:24 PM

That's his daughter.

Retracted and apologies then...

#32 Steve Clark

Steve Clark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,191 posts
  • Interests:Human folly.

Posted 04 March 2012 - 04:25 PM

This Sunfish is sailed by Phil Garland, which makes it completely sane.
Much saner than Randy's lash up or almost anything else on the beach.
Phil has many thousand ocean miles. Bermuda races, Fastnets, Solo Twins etc.
Won quite a few of them.
His 'fish isn't factory direct, but is all sorted by Phil who happens to own part of Hall Spars.
So this isn't crazy at all.
If Phil got flicked, I think it was a huge miscalculation by Water tribe.
SHC

#33 DaveK

DaveK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,745 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 04:27 PM

Thanks Tom! And wtf is that big ass brown tri at the end that says murrays.com on it???

#34 DaveK

DaveK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,745 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 04:34 PM

This Sunfish is sailed by Phil Garland, which makes it completely sane.
Much saner than Randy's lash up or almost anything else on the beach.
Phil has many thousand ocean miles. Bermuda races, Fastnets, Solo Twins etc.
Won quite a few of them.
His 'fish isn't factory direct, but is all sorted by Phil who happens to own part of Hall Spars.
So this isn't crazy at all.
If Phil got flicked, I think it was a huge miscalculation by Water tribe.
SHC

Who said the fish got flicked?

#35 DaveK

DaveK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,745 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 04:45 PM

Wow... at 9am it was blowing 38mph at Venice, FL.

Attached File  ec2012 Venice.jpg   316.95K   10 downloads

#36 CrazyR

CrazyR

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 04:50 PM

Thanks Tom! And wtf is that big ass brown tri at the end that says murrays.com on it???

It is a boat of SandyBottom and SOS, they are in Ultimate Florida Challenge - 1200 milkes loop around Florida, same one Randy Smyth (SewSew) doing.
SOS (Alan Steward) is known as Alanosaurus in beach cat racing.
http://sailnaway.blogspot.com/

BTW why would Sunfish got flicked? Watertribe is most inclusive group of people.

#37 MisterMoon

MisterMoon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 05:00 PM

Phil is doing the shorter UM like me. He loaned me his beach rollers and aim grateful.

Meant ' I am grateful.'

#38 DaveK

DaveK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,745 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 05:06 PM

It is a boat of SandyBottom and SOS, they are in Ultimate Florida Challenge - 1200 milkes loop around Florida, same one Randy Smyth (SewSew) doing.

BTW why would Sunfish got flicked? Watertribe is most inclusive group of people.

Finally found Sewsew and he hasn't taken off like the tornado. He is located around mistermoon.

And how is Sandybottom gonna do the 40 mile portage?

#39 CrazyR

CrazyR

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 05:13 PM

Finally found Sewsew and he hasn't taken off like the tornado. He is located around mistermoon.

And how is Sandybottom gonna do the 40 mile portage?

Randy had problems with the boat last night. His SPOT didn't work either.
Watertribe has very controvertial role allowing boat switching for river/portage part of UF. Both Randy and SandyBotton planning to get into canoe for upper rivers

#40 Steve Clark

Steve Clark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,191 posts
  • Interests:Human folly.

Posted 04 March 2012 - 05:17 PM

Maybe I mis-read the "flunked the sanity" test to mean "FAILED SAFETY INSPECTION."
Then I couldn't find them on the SPOT track, so leapt o a conclusion.
I stand corrected.
SHC

#41 CrazyR

CrazyR

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 07:51 PM

Maybe I mis-read the "flunked the sanity" test to mean "FAILED SAFETY INSPECTION."
Then I couldn't find them on the SPOT track, so leapt o a conclusion.
I stand corrected.
SHC

Steve,his track is in UM2012 Event of the Mapper. His tribal name is Lightnin. It looks like he is on Pine Island,and his track broke sometimes last night near Venice. I guess he dropped out. No official results yet on Ultra Marathon (short race)

#42 CrazyR

CrazyR

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:03 PM

It seems like JustAnotherSailor team on Hobie 18 Magnum taking a lead. They are sailing in open Gulf. Past winners Lumpy and Machoman on Tornado are staying in more protected Pine Island Sound on ICWW. Leading kayakers are about 15-20 miles behind. Leading sailing monohull (modified Lighting) is approaching checkpoint 1 some 25 miles behind

#43 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,094 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:41 PM

I spoke to Alan, the young man who designed it and is sailing it with his mom in the UFC, assuming they got off. They were not planning to leave yesterday when we spoke.

He said it started smaller and simpler. I think I recall it starting as a catamaran on the B&B forum. Maybe he just put a vaka in the middle to make the larger tri, I don't know.

If you recall my vid from last year, he and his father were sailing the Core Sound 20 named Dawn Patrol. He remarked that he has done a few EC's but has never really watched the start before.

I started talking to him because I saw him putting duct tape around a waterstay. It did not look like it would keep water out. He was not trying to keep water out. He made a little duct tape cup around the waterstay and filled it with water, trying to ID which one was leaking.

He said he achieved 16 knots sailing around from the ramp on Friday with lots of things wrong/out of tune. That's all for now. Back to throwing away pictures.

Edit: here's what Alan has to say today (scroll down). They have not left yet, but will leave in the morning.

#44 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,094 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:09 PM

You people will know this:

What are those black things on the deck of this E-Scow?

Posted Image

I don't know anything about these boats. It's obviously fast, but can it take the conditions on the course?

#45 CrazyR

CrazyR

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:42 PM

Looks like battery operated navigation lights

I don't know anything about these boats. It's obviously fast, but can it take the conditions on the course?

Well, this particular boat retired after a few hours. quite a few leaks opened after Tampa bay crossing.

#46 Cavandish

Cavandish

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:19 PM

That guy in the sunfish may be wishing he were in the puddle duck, that thing looks like a tank, albeit a rather slow tank.

Posted Image - linked to article, additional article with videos here

#47 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,094 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:56 PM

Looks like battery operated navigation lights

Well, this particular boat retired after a few hours. quite a few leaks opened after Tampa bay crossing.

Sorry to hear that. It did not look ready for the steep chop that would be out there on a day like that.

I did not mean the lights. I meant the 4 black tube looking things. I grabbed one and they are secured fast to the deck. They have some foam rubber and duct tape on them. WTF are they?

#48 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,094 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:19 PM

#49 tikipete

tikipete

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,464 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:44 PM

Posted Image

Looks like a C-scow. Back in the day I sailed one on the local river. Really pounded in a chop.

#50 Steam Flyer

Steam Flyer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,019 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:48 PM

Posted Image

??

Never saw the like before, not standard E-scow equipment. Maybe it's knee padding for paddlers stationed on the foredeck?

Putting traps on +1 also not standard on E-scows... these things are really fast offwind, they can go fairly well upwind but the traps will help. Obvioously it's not a strong open-water boat for big chop or waves.

If they'd had better luck with the weather, I'd expect them to set a new course record.

FB- Doug

#51 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,094 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:57 PM

Never saw the like before, not standard E-scow equipment. Maybe it's knee padding for paddlers stationed on the foredeck?

I don't think so. They are too close to the wood splash guard. I think it only had a crew of two. I looked at the rig and the runners and wondered how they expected to keep the mast up, but I guess they knew how. Their friend told me they are from the NY Finger Lakes. I guess they probably learned what a sand fly is.

#52 zerothehero

zerothehero

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,388 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:07 AM

trying to catch up, bneen flying all day and that isn't great for keeping up. The E scow, black things are surfboard racks. They did a surf trip on the thing which gave them the idea that this was a good idea. The Sunfish, my comment reflects my own experience with sunfish. That guy has 65 miles to go and day 1 was upwind in 20+. Those must be some abs! Day 2 downwind with 25-30 could be "quick". :ph34r: . I want to make clear by "failed the sanity test" I am not dissing anyone there. It is probably the most commonly uttered phrase on the beach, everyone gets it from someone and everyone, competitors and cheerleaders labels it on someone. Truth is all of us have failed it if we have a desire to try this out. And yes there are plenty of repeat offenders out there. B)

#53 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,094 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:13 AM

I want to make clear by "failed the sanity test" I am not dissing anyone there. It is probably the most commonly uttered phrase on the beach, everyone gets it from someone and everyone, competitors and cheerleaders labels it on someone. Truth is all of us have failed it if we have a desire to try this out. And yes there are plenty of repeat offenders out there. B)

Warning: it seems to be contagious.

#54 DaveK

DaveK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,745 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:20 AM

Funny in the vid when Randy took off and here comes the 6 person row boat. :blink: It's like really!

#55 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,094 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:27 AM

Funny in the vid when Randy took off and here comes the 6 person row boat. :blink: It's like really!

Funnier that his rudder was still in the air and his daggerboard laying on the net when it happened. He was steering pretty well with the sails and no undercarriage at all. I didn't quite catch the part where he somehow climbed out onto the stern of that thing to flip his rudder down.

#56 zerothehero

zerothehero

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,388 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:30 AM

he doesn't climb out, there is a line for that.

How many anarchists were on that beach anyway, I am guessing 8-12? Tom, were you with anybody or alone

I'll post my pics soon. I was paying close attention to the Cats and tris as my boat will need mods that they have already done.

#57 zerothehero

zerothehero

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,388 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:34 AM

sorry, these are from the iphone, just testing with 1 at first. Meade G. edit still trying. hold on

#58 zerothehero

zerothehero

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,388 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:37 AM

2nd try Crap!

#59 zerothehero

zerothehero

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,388 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:40 AM

maybe now

Attached Files

#60 SoAPieceOfStringWalksIntoABar...

SoAPieceOfStringWalksIntoABar...

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:51 AM

Great video....it's like watching something that Phil Bolger would dream around 4 a.m.
Thanks for posting it!

Didn't see PRoss' boat. Did he not make it?

#61 zerothehero

zerothehero

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,388 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:51 AM

saw this boat near mote Marine Aquarium around 3 pm on Sat. They were doing well. Helped carry it to the high tide line for the launch. Heavy but with a mirage drive in each hull and really comfy seats

Attached Files

#62 zerothehero

zerothehero

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,388 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:54 AM

steerswithbeers prindle 19, doing well last I checked. Neat bags sewn into the tramp on this one. Killed their cell phones with a capsize on day 1

Attached Files

#63 zerothehero

zerothehero

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,388 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:57 AM

justanothersailor, Hobie 18. Great guys, very friendly and helpful as my boat is close to this in systems

Attached Files

#64 zerothehero

zerothehero

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,388 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 01:04 AM

Thanks for posting it!

Didn't see PRoss' boat. Did he not make it?

The first boat, Slider, packed up to live to fight another day. The Precision 13 you zoomed in on also called it a day while still on the beach. Early in the lineup on your vid there is a narrow mono with heavily crowned decks, a Scirracco? They lost their rig less than an hour after the stat and were back before I left. The yellow 16 foot mono with cuddy was still trying to go when I left. The A class had just gotten going. One Hobie TI was holed (the mirage drive poked a hole in the slot) and were back at the start to try and get a new hull to get back out there. I think they did but am not sure.

#65 SoAPieceOfStringWalksIntoABar...

SoAPieceOfStringWalksIntoABar...

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 01:10 AM

He planned to attend in a boat that was similar to last year's Canary. Hadn't heard, was curious to see if he made it.

Edit, found entry list, and he doesn't seem there.

#66 zerothehero

zerothehero

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,388 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 01:16 AM

there was nothing like Canary on the beach

#67 zerothehero

zerothehero

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,388 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 01:19 AM

go to watertribe.org and go to"features", then "tracking map link" that gets you the map. Based on Spot data it seems to have a few holes as one competitor I am following has yet to show that I have seen

#68 joey g

joey g

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 02:11 AM

How do the reefing systems on these cats work? I know its not like a conventional main because most cats have the lock on the top of the rig. Do they have multiple hooks on the mast?

Joe

#69 zerothehero

zerothehero

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,388 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 02:52 AM

Joey,
There is no standard solution. The Hobie 18 has a 2/1 main halyard with no additional hooks. The Tornado had reef points but I never saw anything different at the top of the mast. The A class cat had 2 hooks. The Windrider tri had a lazy jack system. I didn't see what the 2 H16's had

#70 zerothehero

zerothehero

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,388 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 02:53 AM

looks like the hobie 18 is chasing the Tornado as they close in on checkpoint 2, a few miles behind. The prindle looks to be camped however the Spot system and times are a little "loose".

#71 MisterMoon

MisterMoon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 05:39 AM

I finally made it CP1 about 20 mins ago. Lots of adventures to tell about evil lee shores (concrete bulkheads really) and 30 knots and two heroic tribers who saved my boat from certain destruction. All in all, epic.

#72 CrazyR

CrazyR

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:15 AM

Joey,
There is no standard solution. The Hobie 18 has a 2/1 main halyard with no additional hooks. The Tornado had reef points but I never saw anything different at the top of the mast. The A class cat had 2 hooks. The Windrider tri had a lazy jack system. I didn't see what the 2 H16's had

When I did EC on my old A-cat many years ago, I used same system as on early Hobie 14s. Wire halyard with balls and fork in front of the mast. Ball goes into fork and locks.

#73 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,094 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:48 AM

he doesn't climb out, there is a line for that.

How many anarchists were on that beach anyway, I am guessing 8-12? Tom, were you with anybody or alone

Randy's rudder downhaul must have been jammed or something. In my video you can see him start toward the stern. I turned the camera onto something else, but he then climbed even further back and flicked it or kicked it or something.

I was with a friend, but he does not visit this site. He's a good sailor and does not know to quit when it doesn't seem like fun any more, so he'll make great crew when/if I ever do the Challenge.

#74 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,094 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:38 AM

I finally made it CP1 about 20 mins ago. Lots of adventures to tell about evil lee shores (concrete bulkheads really) and 30 knots and two heroic tribers who saved my boat from certain destruction. All in all, epic.

I really need to pay more attention to screen names and tribal names, but I'm guessing this is you departing the beach? Really nice looking boat! Love the bright finished deck. Glad I don't have to maintain it! ;)

Posted Image

#75 zerothehero

zerothehero

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,388 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 03:18 PM

Glad to hear you are ok Mr Moon

#76 tikipete

tikipete

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,464 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 03:51 PM

Is there a map showing the Check points?

#77 TimFordi550#87

TimFordi550#87

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,032 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 05:16 PM

http://www.watertrib...x?RaceID=EC2012

website(s) are a bit clunky.

#78 tikipete

tikipete

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,464 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 05:24 PM

Yeh,I couldn't find the check points for the competitors. Was wondering if the CPs are secret? Not revealed until race time?

#79 SemiSalt

SemiSalt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 05:31 PM

All event info here: http://watertribe.co...ge/Default.aspx
There is a tab for each checkpoint: cp1, cp2, etc.

#80 TimFordi550#87

TimFordi550#87

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,032 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:11 PM

somebody pushed the HELP button. Wonder if that helps? (off Pompano Street, Ft. Meyers Beach)

#81 tikipete

tikipete

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,464 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:21 PM

Ping me if you figure it out, I'm 45 minute away.

#82 chessiebaysailor

chessiebaysailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:30 PM

I really need to pay more attention to screen names and tribal names, but I'm guessing this is you departing the beach? Really nice looking boat! Love the bright finished deck. Glad I don't have to maintain it! ;)

Posted Image

That is one of the Core Sound 17s. Stitch and glue ply/epoxy designed by Graham Byrnes (B & B Yacht Design), also a competitor in many ECs. I got a ride on one from a owner/builder at a small craft meet and they have a lot to recommend them. I only had a light air sail, and the guy was still sorting it out but it was a nicely balanced craft. I'm sorely tempted to try my hand at one, but even w/ a hull kit, it's more of a build than the canoe I did before.

#83 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,094 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:32 PM

A few later departures...

Latest I heard is that almost half of the fleet has withdrawn from the race, which is not unusual for an EC in bad conditions. Finishing the race is the challenge, winning is gravy.

#84 Bow Down

Bow Down

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:56 PM

any pics info re the faster boats?

#85 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,094 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:00 PM

Last I looked, the first boat was about to finish. The next two will probably finish before sundown, I'd guess.

I'm more focused on the slow boats. The Puddle Duck is charging down Pine Island Sound. That's awesome. B)

I joke that my Adventure Island is a toy trimaran, but several are getting set to finish ahead of some pretty capable boats, as they did last year. No joke! :P

#86 joey g

joey g

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:58 PM

It looks like Bumpy and MachoMan (Tornado) have finished the race.

SewSew (Randy Smyth) now has his spot working and he was just approaching the Everglades City CP when his SPOT last sent data at like 4pm.

Joe

#87 CrazyR

CrazyR

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 01:47 AM

any pics info re the faster boats?

There has been a battle between Tornado catamaran and custom trimaran in Class 5 last few years. Trimaran is discussed here
http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=101366&st=0&p=2645237&hl=+randy%20+smyth%20+trimaran&fromsearch=1&#entry2645237

In class 4(sailing monohulls), larger variety of boats finished first over years, boats from BandByachtdesigns.com have strong winning history, one boat designed purposefully for the EC and named after the Challenge:
http://bandbyachtdesigns.com/ec22.htm

There is a guy, called Wizard. he sails small (and I mean small) homebuilt boats and he normally gets ahead of most competitors.
http://www.microcruising.com/pictures.htm

There are always a group of extremely skillful and fast kayakers.

Different boats,different strategies, lots of fun. Race is addictive. It is very interesting group of people with so much experience coming from different water sports. The course is navigational labyrinth with every possible coastal hazard presented – shallow water, deep water, narrow channels, open crossings, etc…Fun...

#88 zerothehero

zerothehero

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,388 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 02:55 AM

I am going to try and get some photos of the faster boats up soon. Also check out the B andB website or google any of their boats, Core Sound17,20,or the EC22.

#89 zerothehero

zerothehero

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,388 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 03:33 AM

here is mosquito, purpose built for the 1200 mile UF. This boat is very cool. It didn't start till early on day three as they were still building it on the beach and had a few issues but I would give my left nut for this one!

Attached Files

#90 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,094 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 12:51 PM

Mosquito is a really neat boat. It is doing the Ultimate Florida Challenge (circumnavigation of the state) under the new WaterTribe rules that allow competitors to switch boats for the river portion in the northern part of the state. I was wondering how they would portage that thing, or deal with it in a river.

I finished posting my pictures, videos and comments on the Everglades Challenge 2012 Start

If anyone can fill in or correct details I have omitted or gotten wrong, let me know!

#91 Bow Down

Bow Down

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 02:12 PM

here is mosquito, purpose built for the 1200 mile UF. This boat is very cool. It didn't start till early on day three as they were still building it on the beach and had a few issues but I would give my left nut for this one!

That's a seriously good looking tri. How big? How did it do vs prindle and tornado?

#92 Bow Down

Bow Down

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 02:22 PM

Mosquito is a really neat boat. It is doing the Ultimate Florida Challenge (circumnavigation of the state) under the new WaterTribe rules that allow competitors to switch boats for the river portion in the northern part of the state. I was wondering how they would portage that thing, or deal with it in a river.

I finished posting my pictures, videos and comments on the Everglades Challenge 2012 Start

If anyone can fill in or correct details I have omitted or gotten wrong, let me know!

Nice write up and pics

#93 DaveK

DaveK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,745 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 03:50 PM

Thanks Tom!! Awesome job as usual! That Mosquito is all wood??? Would love to see pics of construction. I'll have to do a hunt.

And Mistermoon, what happened? Tell us about it???

#94 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,094 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 04:24 PM

Thanks Tom!! Awesome job as usual! That Mosquito is all wood??? Would love to see pics of construction. I'll have to do a hunt.

Thanks! Yes, apart from some carbon fiber here and there and aluminum beams, the Mosquito is wood. Check out Alan's blog for more.

#95 MisterMoon

MisterMoon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 04:45 PM

And Mistermoon, what happened? Tell us about it???

I got home at 5am after driving all night... I've got a truck and boat load of crap to deal with today... Give me a few days. Glad I was only doing the shorter UM this year. My heroes of the whole trip are Ridgerunner and Greybeard, who are nearing Flamingo just now. They saved my ass a couple of times. Go Doug and Michael!

My audio commentaries are posted at http://www.duckworksmagazine.com if you want to hear some in-the-moment stuff. I have no idea how coherent it is, though...

#96 MisterMoon

MisterMoon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 04:48 PM

Posted Image

That is one of the Core Sound 17s. Stitch and glue ply/epoxy designed by Graham Byrnes (B & B Yacht Design), also a competitor in many ECs. I got a ride on one from a owner/builder at a small craft meet and they have a lot to recommend them. I only had a light air sail, and the guy was still sorting it out but it was a nicely balanced craft. I'm sorely tempted to try my hand at one, but even w/ a hull kit, it's more of a build than the canoe I did before.

That's my boat. Cool, the first sailing picture of BANDALOOP I've ever seen.

These are marvelous boats, BTW. My only complaint is the are WET going to windward, kind of like being in a saltwater shower. My GPS and VHF succumbed to dousing, unfortunately. Did I say they are wet?

#97 MisterMoon

MisterMoon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 04:54 PM

Posted Image

??

Putting traps on +1 also not standard on E-scows... these things are really fast offwind, they can go fairly well upwind but the traps will help. Obvioously it's not a strong open-water boat for big chop or waves.

If they'd had better luck with the weather, I'd expect them to set a new course record.

FB- Doug

THose guys had some sort of waterballast system on board. I think that is part of the plumbing they used to fill the bladders.

#98 MisterMoon

MisterMoon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 05:15 PM

Just talked to Plumbcrazy in the PDRacer... He capsized and is withdrawing. He's on the beach and is OK, though.

#99 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,094 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 05:42 PM

Sorry to hear that! I called Scott to let him know I can provide logistical help if needed, but he says fellow WaterTribers have him covered. Last SPOT shows him on the beach in Estero, about an hour south of my place.

#100 DaveK

DaveK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,745 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:34 PM

I got home at 5am after driving all night... I've got a truck and boat load of crap to deal with today... Give me a few days. Glad I was only doing the shorter UM this year. My heroes of the whole trip are Ridgerunner and Greybeard, who are nearing Flamingo just now. They saved my ass a couple of times. Go Doug and Michael!

My audio commentaries are posted at http://www.duckworksmagazine.com if you want to hear some in-the-moment stuff. I have no idea how coherent it is, though...

After 2.5 days of hell, you decided to drive home all night!!?? I would have found the nearest hotel and collapsed. I really liked listening to your thoughts on the drive home. Love the big black dog chasing you hallucination!!

Thanks for the insight!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users