• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 De Plano

De Plano

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:09 PM

It is the centerboard design rather than the full keel. Fine for most areas, but I would be sailing in Humboldt Bay (N. Cal.) and would like to be able to sail out of the bay when the weather permits.

The guy who owns it is a meticulous old man, but hasn't sailed it in a while so there will be some issues once under sail.

Basically how do you think it will handle far Northern California sailing without a full keel (assuming everything is in good condition)? Not planning on sailing around the world, but we do get some weather around here.

Sorry on a phone and about to look at a slip so I am not providing as much info as I should

It is mid sixties btw

#2 reis123

reis123

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:33 PM

It is the centerboard design rather than the full keel. Fine for most areas, but I would be sailing in Humboldt Bay (N. Cal.) and would like to be able to sail out of the bay when the weather permits.

The guy who owns it is a meticulous old man, but hasn't sailed it in a while so there will be some issues once under sail.

Basically how do you think it will handle far Northern California sailing without a full keel (assuming everything is in good condition)? Not planning on sailing around the world, but we do get some weather around here.

Sorry on a phone and about to look at a slip so I am not providing as much info as I should

It is mid sixties btw

People here can get pretty smarmy, so, look out.

Most important to buying an old boat is not necessarily its design, but its condition instead. Most ocean going boats designed the last generation are free of full keels, by the way. But do not think any boat is safe going to sea, even a day sail...CONDITION is everything here, well, this and sailing experience...

I've heard so many first hand accounts of bad old boats it would make your head spin and wonder. People LIE about selling a bad boat to an unknowledgeable sailor.

Here is the beginning of what to look for. Condition of chain plate attachments to the hull, condition of shrouds and stays, condition of rigging, condition of sails, condition of engine, is the keel solidly laying against the hull or are there cracks, condition of where deck hardware is attatched to the deck, condition of hull, blistering, soggy decks and or delamination, condition of keel to hull attachments, and on and on and on and on...

GET THE BOAT SURVEYED, until you do, it is playing boat roulette...

#3 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,707 posts
  • Interests:SWMBO

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:46 PM

GET THE BOAT SURVEYED, until you do, it is playing boat roulette...

PLUS ONE!!!!

#4 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,325 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:19 PM

<snip>

smarmy: Hypocritically, complacently, or effusively earnest; unctuous.

I don't think anyone here is smarmy. We may be offensive, impolite and flatulent, but never smarmy.

#5 reis123

reis123

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:26 PM

<snip>

I don't think anyone here is smarmy. We may be offensive, impolite and flatulent, but never smarmy.

You really should put a blouse on...

#6 SereneSpeed

SereneSpeed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Interests:this stuff and other stuff

Posted 03 March 2012 - 12:32 AM

<snip>

#7 slap

slap

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,146 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 03:00 AM

<snip>

+1

#8 austin1972

austin1972

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,853 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 03:04 AM

<snip>

Yeah, smugness is met by a HTFU sandwich. Impolite and offensive behavior, especially with flatulence involved is greatly appreciated and calls for a toast.

#9 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,704 posts
  • Interests:It's Obvious!

Posted 03 March 2012 - 04:22 AM

It is mid sixties btw

That keel setup reminds me of the Tartan 27 and they sail well enough. If you don't want to pay for a survey, at least haul it out for a look-see, inspect all the through-hulls, the rudder gear and all the centerboard gear. Tap around on the deck to make sure it's not waterlogged. If it's like my old Coronado, it'll be a solid glass hull, but a plywood cored deck. Thick.

It won't be fast, it won't point really high, but it'll have a bit of room down below. I don't see why it would be unsafe as long as you keep an eye on the weather.

#10 De Plano

De Plano

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 06:47 PM

Thanks for the advice. Not sure if we would pay for a survey but would take a friend who has plenty of sailing experience and fixed his boat when needed.

Just bought a book about the entrance to Humboldt Bay. I think it is the second most dangerous harbor entrance on the West coast (lower 48).

Anyway, thanks again for the advice

#11 Team America!

Team America!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Interests:World Police

Posted 05 March 2012 - 03:05 PM

Thanks for the advice. Not sure if we would pay for a survey but would take a friend who has plenty of sailing experience and fixed his boat when needed.

Just bought a book about the entrance to Humboldt Bay. I think it is the second most dangerous harbor entrance on the West coast (lower 48).

Anyway, thanks again for the advice

Let me tell you something about boats that you may not know. It's not how much you pay at the beginning, it's what it will cost at the end. You may think you are getting a smokin' deal on this thing, maintained by a knowledgeable old salt, and you may. Or you may not, and as you put more, and more, and more, and yet still MORE!!1!! of yourself and your money into it, you will realize, you could have had a newer, nicer boat for less, and spent more time sailing, and less time upside down in the bilge covered in paint, grease and smegma.

Don't ask me how I know.

#12 Tucky

Tucky

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,685 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 03:23 PM

upside down in the bilge covered in paint, grease and smegma.

Now that is smarmy.

#13 De Plano

De Plano

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:26 PM

I have bought plenty of expensive cheap cars. At this point it has taught me to walk away. In all honesty I have a basket case of a boat in the barn, I am not doing that again (I really hope).

Although I am rethinking the surveyor now I was more intersted in the sea worthiness of the boat assuming it is in good condition.

#14 jim lee

jim lee

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:00 PM

"It is mid sixties btw"

For an old used 33' boat?

Before you plunk down your cash, even for a survey, go see what the going price for used boats are.

-jim lee

#15 BayRacer

BayRacer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:32 PM

"It is mid sixties btw"

For an old used 33' boat?

Before you plunk down your cash, even for a survey, go see what the going price for used boats are.

-jim lee

Methinks he meant the vintage, not price. Or maybe he meant the temp was in the mid 60's at the time :)

#16 De Plano

De Plano

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:37 PM

Vintage. The boat is fairly well under $10,000

#17 jim lee

jim lee

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip