247 replies to this topic

#101 Squalamax

Squalamax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:42 PM

Espo you seem to be an unhappy angry little man. If an alchemist converted your character to plutonium it would't even light a match.

And if brains were dynamite you couldn't blow your nose.

#102 Squalamax

Squalamax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:44 PM

Ok you two. Lets not lose the integrity of this thread. If you must continue I will start a separate thread just for you two and maybe squalamax will join.

It's great to see the class gaining momentum in the right direction and the NA's happening for the first time in many years. The guys in NS have done a great job putting this event together so support them and hope they will come to New England next year for some events.

+1000.

The NS guys have done a great job and it is great to see a resurgence.

#103 jesposito

jesposito

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,647 posts
  • Interests:cycling, skiing and depressing the competition on the race course

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:31 AM

Ok you two. Lets not lose the integrity of this thread. If you must continue I will start a separate thread just for you two and maybe squalamax will join.

It's great to see the class gaining momentum in the right direction and the NA's happening for the first time in many years. The guys in NS have done a great job putting this event together so support them and hope they will come to New England next year for some events.

Shut up! :angry:

#104 jesposito

jesposito

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,647 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:34 AM

Espo you seem to be an unhappy angry little man. If an alchemist converted your character to plutonium it would't even light a match.

This coming from a piece shit who trims jib a a Farr 40.
What a douche

#105 Snaggletooth

Snaggletooth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,392 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:34 AM

I bette hese talliere then youu!!! :)

#106 C-Rock

C-Rock

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:41 AM

I just love this shit throwing no holding back.

#107 Punani Jackson

Punani Jackson

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts
  • Interests:Cigars, booze and easy women.

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:58 AM

I just love this shit throwing no holding back.

I want to see punches thrown and bets placed!

#108 C-Rock

C-Rock

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:27 AM

Hey what about having to be a member of the class association?? Hows this panning out? Class rules say your have to be a member to race everybody a member???? Everybody got there Union Card??

#109 Green Bastard

Green Bastard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Interests:Cigrets 'n' dope...

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:11 PM

....bla bla bla...

Who's having more fun, who's the better sailor, which boats are better....who cares.

We're going to have a great regatta in Lunenburg. The boats will all be well prepared and well sailed....and about the fun part, yeah, we don't do that in Nova Scotia ;)
Ask Uncle Al how much fun he had the night he ended up sleeping on a park bench after a race.

#110 Folding prop

Folding prop

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Pissing off
    self-centered
    liberal jerks

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:54 PM

I want to be clear that I respect the efforts it takes to run a successful NA regatta and the good people on this thread. However, Espo and his minions consistently defecate on other threads where they have no real interest. They've been doing it for years. Now that someone comes in and does it to them, they go absolutely balastic. Their selective morality is rather shocking you'd have to agree. Good luck with your NAs and may the best sailed boat come out on top.

#111 sailman

sailman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,785 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:10 PM

I want to be clear that I respect the efforts it takes to run a successful NA regatta and the good people on this thread. However, Espo and his minions consistently defecate on other threads where they have no real interest. They've been doing it for years. Now that someone comes in and does it to them, they go absolutely balastic. Their selective morality is rather shocking you'd have to agree. Good luck with your NAs and may the best sailed boat come out on top.

Espo yells at people. He says bad things. My pussy hurts.

Boo Freakin' Hoo!

#112 Holdmycourse!

Holdmycourse!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:17 PM

Espo, you sling a lot of shit at everyone else but get a little sensitive when it comes your way. What is up with that? Next thing you know Dorag will be crying that he is getting picked on! The world must be coming to an end soon. :P

#113 jesposito

jesposito

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,647 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 12:15 AM

Espo, you sling a lot of shit at everyone else but get a little sensitive when it comes your way. What is up with that? Next thing you know Dorag will be crying that he is getting picked on! The world must be coming to an end soon. :P

I really don't give a shit what people say about me, or think of me. I am not here or race sailboats to make friends ;) I would hope you figured that out from my years on sailing anarchy. I also wish and pray one of you pussies that hide behind your alias would actually have the balls to confront me one day.
All I did here on this thread was confront some PUSSY/CUNTnamed Folding Prop that seems to have a hard on for the J/29, must be because they sail by him when he gives them head start in his Farr 40 :D
Now go crawl back under your rock unless you want to post under your name

#114 Uncle_Al

Uncle_Al

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 01:12 AM

....bla bla bla...

Who's having more fun, who's the better sailor, which boats are better....who cares.

We're going to have a great regatta in Lunenburg. The boats will all be well prepared and well sailed....and about the fun part, yeah, we don't do that in Nova Scotia ;)
Ask Uncle Al how much fun he had the night he ended up sleeping on a park bench after a race.

Technically that park bench was in France, but it was a good experience. Park benches make decent accommodations if the only option is the cockpit of a 29. I anticipate another night this year where the chicks at the YC party will be having a contest to sleep with a 29 sailor in order to get their team shirt.

#115 Green Bastard

Green Bastard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 05:19 AM

....bla bla bla...

Technically that park bench was in France, but it was a good experience. Park benches make decent accommodations if the only option is the cockpit of a 29. I anticipate another night this year where the chicks at the YC party will be having a contest to sleep with a 29 sailor in order to get their team shirt.

You mean this team shirt Uncle Al?
http://lynngray.ifp3.../j29lunwm-6605/

Those shirts are a hot commodity and don't get handed out to just anyone....however exceptions can be made if the young ladies at the Yacht Club party are willing to work for it ;)

#116 Cape Breton Wind Talker

Cape Breton Wind Talker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 03:24 PM

Preregistration is up to 12!

#117 Green Bastard

Green Bastard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 03:39 PM

Preregistration is up to 12!

12 posted, but 13 actual....we got confirmation from J2K in Charlottetown the other day. They will be posted this weekend. There's at least 7 regulars from the local fleet that aren't posted yet. Looks like we'll hit 20+ boats. Sweet!

#118 Luca Brasi

Luca Brasi

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 04:24 PM

Question: if it's all local boats showing up then why does it need to be made NA. Why don't you all call it J/29 Canadian Championships and be done with it.

#119 Folding prop

Folding prop

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts
    self-centered
    liberal jerks

Posted 16 March 2012 - 05:24 PM

I really don't give a shit what people say about me, or think of me. I am not here or race sailboats to make friends ;) I would hope you figured that out from my years on sailing anarchy. I also wish and pray one of you pussies that hide behind your alias would actually have the balls to confront me one day.
All I did here on this thread was confront some PUSSY/CUNTnamed Folding Prop that seems to have a hard on for the J/29, must be because they sail by him when he gives them head start in his Farr 40 :D

Espo. You know me and I unfortunately know you. Maybe if you spent more time reading what I say in my posts rather than jumping in with your usual rants, you'd figure out who I am. You can't be that stupid. Here's a clue.... reality is .... I never sailed on a J/29 and it's been 10 years since I've been on a Farr 40. Have a nice weekend.

#120 jesposito

jesposito

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,647 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:09 PM

Espo. You know me and I unfortunately know you. Maybe if you spent more time reading what I say in my posts rather than jumping in with your usual rants, you'd figure out who I am. You can't be that stupid. Here's a clue.... reality is .... I never sailed on a J/29 and it's been 10 years since I've been on a Farr 40. Have a nice weekend.

I could give a shit if I know you or not, if you know me have the balls to come see me in person.
Have a shitty weekend

#121 'moondance44

'moondance44

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,165 posts
  • Location:Dodgy Bit Of Stamford, CT and The Cows, Graveyard of LIS where bluefish get blown off wire leaders

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:53 PM

I could give a shit if I know you or not, if you know me have the balls to come see me in person.
Have a shitty weekend

HOLY SHIT ESPO.. I THINK YOU;RE TALKING TO DENNIS CONNOR!

#122 Green Bastard

Green Bastard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:16 PM

Question: if it's all local boats showing up then why does it need to be made NA. Why don't you all call it J/29 Canadian Championships and be done with it.

Because the goal is to put on a great regatta to bring together as many J/29s as possible. We race against the local fleet all the time. Sure, the local fleet will be well represented, but we're hoping that is one of the draws that brings boats from away - we can assure them that they're coming to a regatta that will be well attended.

We've got confirmation from 2 US boats and interest from another 6.....that's called a North American Championship.

#123 Folding prop

Folding prop

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts
    self-centered
    liberal jerks

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:29 PM

Espo, let's say somehow you mustered up enough courage to tow your cheater J/29 up to NS, and with your self proclaimed above average driving skills you managed to crash on the Parkway. Now imagine that you're trapped and the mess starts to burn. If by some random chance I was driving by, I would't stop to piss on you and risk the chance I might accidently extinguish the fire.

#124 Green Bastard

Green Bastard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:10 PM

Gentlemen,

Thank you both for your participation in the J/29 North American Championship thread. We're very happy that the thread has created over 3,000 views for the event. Our volunteers are really working hard to make sure we get the information out to as many J/29 sailors as possible, and this thread has been a great way to do that.

Our goal with the thread is to promote positive and informative discussion about the event, and to have a few laughs among the great community of J/Boat sailors. Some of the recent comments do not support the goals of the organizing committee. Kindly respect the wishes of the organizing committee and contribute positive, informative or humour posts to the thread.

Cheers!

#125 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,222 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 05:04 AM

Our goal with the thread is to promote positive and informative discussion about the event, and to have a few laughs among the great community of J/Boat sailors. Some of the recent comments do not support the goals of the organizing committee. Kindly respect the wishes of the organizing committee and contribute positive, informative or humour posts to the thread.

I don't think you "get" how this works?

#126 'moondance44

'moondance44

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,165 posts
  • Location:Dodgy Bit Of Stamford, CT and The Cows, Graveyard of LIS where bluefish get blown off wire leaders

Posted 17 March 2012 - 02:13 PM

]

Espo, let's say somehow you mustered up enough courage to tow your cheater J/29 up to NS, and with your self proclaimed above average driving skills you managed to crash on the Parkway. Now imagine that you're trapped and the mess starts to burn. If by some random chance I was driving by, I would't stop to piss on you and risk the chance I might accidently extinguish the fire.

Could never happen!

Posted Image

#127 Fogbound

Fogbound

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:23 PM

Nice to see someone try to get this thread back to its original purpose. Mahone Bay is a fantastic setting for what sounds like a great regatta. It's one of the most beautiful settings for sailing in North America and in August the wind and weather are generally excellent.

Move the childish antics to another feed.

Gentlemen,

Thank you both for your participation in the J/29 North American Championship thread. We're very happy that the thread has created over 3,000 views for the event. Our volunteers are really working hard to make sure we get the information out to as many J/29 sailors as possible, and this thread has been a great way to do that.

Cheers!

#128 hermetic

hermetic

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:36 PM

Trailers are not allowed on the Parkway.

It would have to happen on the Thruway - couldn't happen in Canada, all their roads are dirt so you can't get up to crashing speed.

#129 jesposito

jesposito

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,647 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 02:49 AM

You would first have to find your little cock, and since you have NO balls to post your name I doubt you could find it. So I guess I"m fucked either way.
I guess I'll have to take my chances like I have been since 1993 .
Now go back to being the cunt that you are ;)

#130 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,222 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 03:18 AM

]

Could never happen!

%20<a%20href=

At least the mast is lashed down properly

Hey cliff, why don't you charter Hustler for the NA's?

#131 'moondance44

'moondance44

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,165 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 01:35 PM

]

Could never happen!

%20<a%20href=

i would rather smash myself in the temple with a ballpeen hammer
nice boat though!

#132 jesposito

jesposito

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,647 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 06:03 PM

]

Could never happen!

%20<a%20href=

i would rather smash myself in the temple with a ballpeen hammer
nice boat though!

Me too! :D

#133 Green Bastard

Green Bastard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:35 AM

***UPDATE - REGATTA WEIGH-IN INSTITUTED***

The regatta committee for the the J/29 North American Championship met to consider a regatta weigh-in, and has decided to make the following changes to the Notice of Race:

A weigh-in shall be held for this event during registration on Thursday, August 9th and Friday, August 10th. All boats competing in the regatta shall attend the weigh-in. An official amendment to the Notice of Race shall be issued shortly and posted on the regatta website (http://j29northamerican2012.com/) and on this thread.

The weigh-in shall be held to ensure that the regatta is run to the requisite standards of a North American Championship and the J/29 Class rules.

#134 crashtestdummy

crashtestdummy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:50 AM

The regatta committee for the the J/29 North American Championship met to consider a regatta weigh-in, and has decided to make the following changes to the Notice of Race:

A weigh-in shall be held for this event during registration on Thursday, August 9th and Friday, August 10th. All boats competing in the regatta shall attend the weigh-in. An official amendment to the Notice of Race shall be issued shortly and posted on the regatta website (http://j29northamerican2012.com/) and on this thread.

The weigh-in shall be held to ensure that the regatta is run to the requisite standards of a North American Championship and the J/29 Class rules.

Well done! Nice to see the committee read the posts and do the right thing. This will eliminate any post race issues. Off to start eating salads for the next few months.

#135 jesposito

jesposito

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,647 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:17 AM

Well done! Nice to see the committee read the posts and do the right thing. This will eliminate any post race issues. Off to start eating salads for the next few months.

It'snot you that needs to eat the salads, it's your fat skipper :lol:

#136 Green Bastard

Green Bastard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:55 PM

Does anyone know the record for the largest J/29 one design regatta of all time? Our webmaster has thrown down the challenge in the blog on the regatta website.
We're at 15 confirmed (13 on the Competitors list and 2 more to be added shortly) with at least a half dozen local regulars still in hibernation for thinking about sailing...

#137 jesposito

jesposito

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,647 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:42 PM

Does anyone know the record for the largest J/29 one design regatta of all time? Our webmaster has thrown down the challenge in the blog on the regatta website.
We're at 15 confirmed (13 on the Competitors list and 2 more to be added shortly) with at least a half dozen local regulars still in hibernation for thinking about sailing...

18 in KW one year

#138 NutCase27

NutCase27

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:59 PM

"The weigh-in shall be held to ensure that the regatta is run to the requisite standards of a North American Championship and the J/29 Class rules."

Are you running your J/29 Frac boats with SPL=12.5 feet and limiting your spinnaker to 180% of J and headsail to 155% of J as per North American Class rules? Most of the Nova Scotia and PEI boats are running 200% spinnakers.

Just curious

#139 sailman

sailman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,785 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:46 PM

18 in KW one year

16/17 in Rochester?

#140 Squalamax

Squalamax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:44 AM

"The weigh-in shall be held to ensure that the regatta is run to the requisite standards of a North American Championship and the J/29 Class rules."

Are you running your J/29 Frac boats with SPL=12.5 feet and limiting your spinnaker to 180% of J and headsail to 155% of J as per North American Class rules? Most of the Nova Scotia and PEI boats are running 200% spinnakers.

Just curious

They're also sailing even rated with the MH's so no real issue.

#141 v-max

v-max

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts
  • Interests:Vary daily

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:20 AM

Just curious

Nice work Mike!

As always. ;)

#142 Green Bastard

Green Bastard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 03:25 PM

An updated Notice of Race has been posted on the event website (http://j29northamerican2012.com/) to reflect the requirement and schedule of the weigh-in.

A direct link to the NOR is here - http://j29northameri...j29-na-nor1.pdf

We're also up to 17 boats on the Competitors list!

#143 Green Bastard

Green Bastard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 07:57 PM

Below is the latest blog on the regatta website and the link - http://j29northameri...e-biggest-ever/ Posted Image

The J29 one design record is supposed to be 18 boats at Key West, although we don't know when. I was witness to a 17-boat fleet at Chester Race Week some year like 2006. Either way, we are going to have more boats at this year's North Americans.

It was just days ago that we had thirteen committed boats and I was hoping we could make it to 15. I was speculating, though, that we might have the biggest J29 regatta of all time in the works and was rhetorically asking if we couldn't make this year's North Americans the biggest J29 regatta of all time.

In the week or so since, we've blown through 15 and now stand at 17 competitors committed to come to Lunenburg. We have boats coming from all three Maritime provinces as well as three competitors from the United States. There is a lively thread concerning our event on Sailing Anarchy where one participant has suggested that 18 boats at Key West at some indeterminate year in the past is the J29 one design regatta record. For the mathematically challenged, that's one more boat than we have on our current competitors list.

What we obviously need is two more boats. There are at least half a dozen good prospects in our own North Atlantic backyard and God knows how many possibilities elsewhere in Canada and the US. I don't for a second doubt that we are going to get two more, although I'd like to post the names on this site ASAP. We have five months to get to August and I see no reason why we can't get 20 boats on the line. A more aspirational goal, in fact, might be 25, which would guarantee a very rare one design experience that could extend over two regattas (Chester Race Week as well as the North Americans).

For those remaining on the fence, there are lots of options to contribute to the dream. There are several good boats available in the Maritimes that might be available for charter. We can't speak for the owners but if you have sails for a fractional J29 or even for a masthead, one or two owners may well be willing to make a buck off you. If you need crew, we've had one or two folks in the area express an interest and there are likely many more who would be interested in being part of a 20-boat plus one design keelboat fleet. I've even spoken to two former Canadian J24 Champions based in Nova Scotia, who have expressed an interest in the event if someone wants to give them the stick.

The Halifax BMW 2012 J29 North American Championship is going to be a big event and we want it to be bigger. If you are reading this blog and would like to be part of a truly special keelboat event, get in touch with super organizer Matt Stokes and we'll try to help you make it happen.

#144 lakeracer29

lakeracer29

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:58 PM

18 in KW one year

16/17 in Rochester?

We had over 20 boats in Deltaville, VA

#145 v-max

v-max

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:15 AM

18 in KW one year

16/17 in Rochester?

Youngstown?

#146 bob d

bob d

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:00 AM

Hey what about having to be a member of the class association?? Hows this panning out? Class rules say your have to be a member to race everybody a member???? Everybody got there Union Card??

C-Rock -
Number of entrants to date: 17
Number of entrants who are members: 0

#147 jesposito

jesposito

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,647 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:13 PM

C-Rock -
Number of entrants to date: 17
Number of entrants who are members: 0

Membership is over rated

#148 C-Rock

C-Rock

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:09 PM

Membership might be over rated but them are the rules of the class. Web site needs to be supported some how.

C-Rock

#149 Snaggletooth

Snaggletooth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,392 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:49 PM

oviouslley a maijere disconnecte betweene the classe and ist mebbers, hoppe theye gette ttegethere soone. :)

#150 v-max

v-max

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:41 PM

Any local boats available for charter?

I'm sure there's some interest from elsewhere to come here and sail and they just don't want to drag a J-29 from the West coast etc.

#151 Green Bastard

Green Bastard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:52 PM

Any local boats available for charter?

I'm sure there's some interest from elsewhere to come here and sail and they just don't want to drag a J-29 from the West coast etc.

We're working on finding charters for interested racers. Stay tuned. We will post the results when we have them.

#152 jesposito

jesposito

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,647 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:20 PM

Sorry to report some sad news, but my close friend and toughest competitor John Lavin Owner of Dirty Harry suddenly passed away last week from a stroke.

I have been battling John on the race course for 18 years and with always a friendly competitive manner. He has driven Hustler to victory at 2 SORC's and I have sailed on The Dirty Harry.

I will miss John tremendously on and off the water. I will mostly miss his ball breaking emails I would get monthly.

Fair winds John you will be missed by all!

Espo

#153 Green Bastard

Green Bastard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 04:39 AM

Sorry to report some sad news, but my close friend and toughest competitor John Lavin Owner of Dirty Harry suddenly passed away last week from a stroke.

I have been battling John on the race course for 18 years and with always a friendly competitive manner. He has driven Hustler to victory at 2 SORC's and I have sailed on The Dirty Harry.

I will miss John tremendously on and off the water. I will mostly miss his ball breaking emails I would get monthly.

Fair winds John you will be missed by all!

Espo

Espo,

Well written. We heard of John's passing from one of his friends. We were really looking forward to hosting John and his team in Nova Scotia this summer. He was an enthusiastic supporter of this event from the beginning and we appreciated his support. He will be missed by his friends in the sailing community.

#154 VMac

VMac

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:27 PM

Well done Espo. It was appropriate for you to give this news as you guys battled a lot longer than we did.

John Lavin was one in a million...definately one of god's own prototypes! Having raced with him on the 29 when I was a junior sailor (hiding this fact from my father as he was totally against it) all the way to our weekly 2 boat J29 one design races at EGYC over the past few years, racing with and against John and Dirty Harry was always one of the highlights of my seasons. The boat was remarkably consistant over the years and you could never, NEVER, count them out in any race -- no matter how far ahead you thought you were. He had a devoted core group of sailors that made Dirty Harry a formitable boat wherever it went. The list of wins that John accumulated over 2 decades is too long to list...a 2004 Rolex BOTW at NYYC race week was the icing on the cake of a fantastic sailing career.

Narragansett Bay is going to miss the old man.

Vin

#155 Squalamax

Squalamax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:06 PM

That's sad to hear. I've only sailed against him once, but have heard many, many stories. He was an active supporter of the class and spirited competitor.

#156 Green Bastard

Green Bastard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:41 PM

Congratulations to the J/29's at Charleston Race Week. It was looking like a clean sweep for the 29's until the J/92 spoiled the party on the final day.
Ira Perry's fame on the J/29 Class Website was well deserved - Congrats on the PHRF - F win Ira. Looking forward to sailing against Seefest in Nova Scotia this summer!

#157 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,353 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:51 PM

Anyone have a pic of John?

#158 sailman

sailman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,785 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:50 PM

Anyone have a pic of John?

Here is his obituary. VMac might have a better pic.

#159 bob d

bob d

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:40 AM

18 in KW one year

16/17 in Rochester?

Youngstown?

Speaking of the history of the NA's, here is a photo of one of the more interesting events during the 2006 NA's in Oxford, MD

Posted Image

#160 sailman

sailman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,785 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:39 PM

18 in KW one year

16/17 in Rochester?

Youngstown?

Speaking of the history of the NA's, here is a photo of one of the more interesting events during the 2006 NA's in Oxford, MD

Posted Image

A fitting example of how poorly that regatta was run and the hospitality of the host club.

#161 jesposito

jesposito

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,647 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:14 PM

Also a fine example of the race committee and how they conducted themselves on and off the water

#162 Snaggletooth

Snaggletooth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,392 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:27 PM

Also a fine example of the race committee and how they conducted themselves on and off the water

They our trying to gette you madde and raiving, I niew they coudente gette a rise oute you. Goode jobb! :)

#163 Notorious B.I.G

Notorious B.I.G

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:05 PM

But payback was a bitch when I pissed all over the contents of the culprits unlocked dock box. Oh yeah we never told them about that.......

#164 Green Bastard

Green Bastard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 05:12 PM

Below is the latest blog on the regatta website - http://j29northamerican2012.com/

Good Start
POSTED ON MAY 1, 2012

The 2012 sailing season has started. The weather here in Nova Scotia has been enough to convert a climate change skeptic. There wasn’t enough snow to shut down the school buses more than twice a week.

At the Royal Nova Scotia Yacht Squadron, where I sail, we started Wednesday Night races this week. No problem getting crew out. It was sunny and warm, which you don’t usually get around here in April. We are, of course, looking forward to more warmth as the sun stays longer and stronger.

Our friends to the south are, naturally, that much farther along. The regatta scene is active south of the Mason Dixon line and throughout the Caribbean. One of the biggest spring events is Charleston Race Week in Charleston, South Carolina.

The event has traditionally attracted a good J29 turnout. This year four showed up for the PHRF F class and dominated the competition. In a fleet of ten, the four 29s tied up places 1, 3, 4, and 5. The winner was Ira Perry, who has done it beforein Charleston.

Ira managed to hold off the hard charging J92 Amigos without winning a race. He also had to deal with the strong performances of fellow J29 competitors Jim Mackevich, Steve Thurston, and John Amyot. Thurston in Mighty Puffin won the first two races and Amyot in Blitz! won the fourth race but it was Perry’s ability to stay within the top four in every race that closed the deal.

Both Ira Perry and Steve Thurston are committed for the North Americans in August. The Atlantic Canadian contingent will have three months and two local regattas to get ready for them. We look forward to their challenge and, we hope, the competition of other United States J29 sailors who can help us make this year’s event the biggest and best ever.

#165 Green Bastard

Green Bastard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 04:31 PM

Below is the latest blog on the J/29 North American Championship website - http://j29northamerican2012.com/
Many thanks to everyone who has helped to organize this event so far. Looking forward to as many J/29's as possible in Lunenburg this summer.

First Prize
POSTED ON MAY 19, 2012

Posted Image

Co-Presidents Evan Petley-Jone (left) and Andrew Childs (right) worked hard with Matt Stokes to bring J29 North American Championship to Nova Scotia for the biggest class event ever.

To have a championship — a legitimate championship — you need a couple of things. Apart from capable organizers and a quality venue, which we clearly have in Lunenburg, you need a nod of approval from the sanctioning body, whoever they might be, and possesion of the trophy/cup/belt or whatever it is that gets handed from winner to winner.

Atlantic J29 sailors have wanted to host the North American Championship for a few years now. We have our own good thing going but many of us have asked ourselves "how do we make the class better….". Rules aside, the only conclusion we came to was to get more boats out, and the best way to do it was to host a big event. In the J29 class the only event that we can have in Atlantic Canada that is bigger than our annual regattas in Charlottetown, Lunenburg, and Chester, is the North American Championship; the event recognized by all as the pinnacle of class competition.

I took a run at it during my two years as Atlantic Canadian pooh bah but the initiative fell apart on issues so picayune they would embarrass participants in a third world border war. Fortunately, Matt Stokes, who crews with Halifax Golden Boy Andrew Childs on Silver Woman, didn't want to give it up. Last fall he basically convinced Andrew and Evan to give him a few months to chase the opportunity to host the North Americans. He knew the trophy hadn't been competed for in a few years and had to be gathering dust in someone's basement. So he figured that if I could get a hold of the right people in the US J29 Class, it wouldn't be too hard to convince them to let us have a crack at the trophy for one year …. especially considering that we unquestionably have the most active J29 fleet in North America.

After about a month of chasing, Matt found the location of the trophy and began negotiations on the terms of the event. He figured out that John Edwards was a lifetime member of the class because of his years of service, so he started with John, who coached Matt in the right direction. It also turned out that John had the trophy on the wall in his billiard room, being the winner of the last edition of the event in 2007. Most of the rest of Matt's work was with John Esposito, who has long been a class leader and was the only other class officer who responded to Matt's harassment.

Matt says he had the benefit of the map to the minefield that I defined but I think that the key was probably his combination of persistence and diplomacy. Since securing the event and getting Lunenburg YC to host it, Matt's been doing a marketing campaign directed to J29 owners to let them know that there is going to be a North Americans this year and convince them to come. Co-Atlantic Canadian Presidents Andrew Childs and Evan Petley-Jones have been in charge of liasing with LYC which has been fantastic in their support, reflecting the high standard they have repeatedly achieved as hosts of the annual Lunenburg J class event.

We've also had good support from our friends to the south. Ira Perry and Steve Thurston have already committed to compete and John Edwards has sent up the half model that we'll all be trying to win.

With the sanction of the class we have all that we need.

Matt's campaign has gone pretty well so far. We have several months to go yet but we have commitments from 16 J29 crews including Steve and Ira. Our first goal now is to surpass the J29 one design record of 18 boats. The longer term goal is 20+ J29′s. Our ultimate dream is 25+ boats for which we need more US participants and, hopefully, a few travellers from Central Canada. For those who are just thinking about it, we have interested crew, potential charter opportunities, convenient and inexpensive accommodations, and all the help and hospitality we can provide.

Posted Image

Evan and Andrew, as well as Matt can be pleased with their campaign so far as we push to increase from 16 committed boats to an all time record of more than 20.

#166 Green Bastard

Green Bastard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 04:34 PM

This is the latest blog entry on the J/29 North American Championship Website. We've started an exchange forum on the website for everything from crew, accommodations and charters. If you're looking for something, please post a wanted ad. If you have something available, please let everyone know.

We've started it off with a great cottage for rent just down the street from the Lunenburg Yacht Club.

Do You Wanta Dance?
POSTED ON MAY 28, 2012

You have to pull together a lot of pieces to participate in a major regatta. You need a decent boat to start with. You also need a decent crew not to mention enough of them to do all the jobs involved. You also have to get to the event, which can be the single biggest challenge if the event is not in your own backyard. If you are travelling from away, furthermore, you will likely need a place to stay, which can also be a substantial challenge if you have a large crew and are, perhaps, going to a smaller place where they don’t have an 11-storey Marriott to accommodate everyone together.

We have 16 committed boats for the J29 North Americans in Lunenburg. We want at least 20. We know there are lots of competitive boats that have not tossed their “hats” in the ring. Several of them are in Atlantic Canada and several of those are floating right on Mahone Bay where the regatta will take place. There are also good sailors interested. I’ve spoken with a top Laser sailor who once finished in the top three in the world, has sailed many big boats since, and has strong Nova Scotia connections, and he has expressed an interest in coming to Lunenburg to mix it up. We’ve also had notification from many local keelboat crew of their interest in filling out crews. These include good local keelboat helmspersons, foredeck people, pit monsters, and others of varied size and capability who can do everything from sit quietly but effectively on the side of a boat to run the whole show.

We realize that if we are going to get the 5 to 10 boats that we would really like to add to our list we are going to have to bring some things together. Consequently, we are starting an Exchange page today where we will post any notice you want us to have concerning the J29 NAs. Its kicking off with a notice about Joe Blair’s cottage on Second Peninsula, which sounds like a lovely place to put up a J29 crew for a week or so during the North Americans and Chester Race Week.

We are interested in adding other information and offers. We have a form for formal offers and the page allows the entry of comments. You can offer stuff for rent or sale, or your services or the services of others. You can also enter a comment to indicate your interest in getting organized with others perhaps as the leader of a potential team, the provider of a boat for loan or charter, or as filler for someone who has 1,400 lbs of crew but figures it would be useful to get a bit closer to the 1,600 lbs maximum. We’ll try to organize the concrete offers under headings like Accommodations, Boat Charters, Crew, and so on, so that folks can find what they need quickly to meet their needs.

We are having a party and we want everyone to come out. If you don’t have the clothes, the limo, the date, or the after party venue, we are here to help. Put it on the wall and see who you can work with.

TAGGED ACCOMMODATION, CREW, J29, J29 NORTH AMERICANS, LUNENBURG, NORTH AMERICANS, SAILING

#167 Green Bastard

Green Bastard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:42 PM

J/29 One Design results from the Opening Regatta at the Royal Nova Scotia Yacht Squadron.
Congratulations to our webmaster, John Heseltine on the win with J-ZeusII9. Tight racing with perennial season champs Satisfaction in 4th.

J/29 OD Fleet
Sailed: 7, Discards: 1, To count: 6, Entries: 6, Scoring system: Appendix A

Rank Fleet Boat Class SailNo Club Helm Name R1 R2 R3 R4 R5 R6 R7 Total Nett
1st J29OD J-Zeus II9 J29 72 RNSYS John Hesltine 2.0 2.0 1.0 1.0 (5.0) 3.0 1.0 15.0 10.0
2nd J29OD Silver Woman J29 84675 RNSYS Andrew Childs 1.0 3.0 (4.0)4.0 2.0 2.0 2.0 18.0 14.0
3rd J29OD Colmonell J29 135 RNSYS Scott Chrstie 3.0 1.0 2.0 2.0 3.0 (4.0) 4.0 19.0 15.0
4th J29OD Satisfaction J29 63 RNSYS Jim Mason 4.0 4.0 3.0 (5.0) 1.0 1.0 3.0 21.0 16.0
5th J29OD Shift J29 117 RNSYS Don Williams 5.0 5.0 5.0 3.0 4.0 6.0 (7.0 OCS) 35.0 28.0
6th J29OD Fox Fire J29 57 RNSYS Mac Morrison (6.0) 6.0 6.0 6.0 6.0 5.0 5.0 40.0 34.0

#168 XPHRFer

XPHRFer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:56 AM

Ok so maybe I missed the reason in this thread
But WHY...... Are you not going to Nova Scotia Espo?

Sailing in Long Island is basically no challenge what so ever For u on a this PHRF boat?
You have dominated here forever and this fleet is absolutely no competition for you in this boat.... Go up there and do some one design and have some fun
You must be so bored racing PHRF with all the biased politics .
You have a rare chance to race almost 20 some what equal boats and really prove your mettle
Unless I missed the reason here ?

#169 jesposito

jesposito

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,647 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 03:00 PM

Sailing in Long Island is basically no challenge what so ever For u on a this PHRF boat?
You have dominated here forever and this fleet is absolutely no competition for you in this boat.... Go up there and do some one design and have some fun
You have a rare chance to race almost 20 some what equal boats and really prove your mettle

Possibly not
I have already won it 5 times, what is there to prove?

#170 Green Bastard

Green Bastard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 03:57 PM

Hey Espo,

This is as good a reason as any to come to Nova Scotia - check out the latest blog on the regatta website below. Come up and try to beat these guys:

Good Catch
POSTED ON JUNE 3, 2012

Posted Image

Scotch Mist IV at Lunenburg last year. The red patch was a quicky repair following a starting line incident. SMIV finished second, despite the setback, and followed up with a win a Chester Race Week.

The organizers of the 2012 J29 North Americans are pleased to announce that our entry is back up to 17 boats with a very important addition to the fleet. Chris MacDonald and Mike O'Connor the brain trust behind four-time Atlantic champion Scotch Mist IV have officially announced their intention to compete.

We always hoped and expected that SMIV would be in. She is after all based at Lunenburg Yacht Club and has sailed every Lunenburg Regatta and Chester Race Week event in memory. Chris was, in fact, the Papa Doc Duvalier of our class, ruling as "President for Life" through the first decade of the century.

Scotch Mist IV won championships consecutively in 2005, 2006, and 2007, as well as an isolated win in 2001. They haven't really lost a thing since their run of dominance. They've got a big crew and are especially tough when it blows hard, as it does at times in Lunenburg. The boat, unfortunately, suffered some damage this winter, which was the cause of their delayed entry but its apparently getting dealt with and the boys will be ready to go in their home waters this August.

We are thrilled to have SMIV in the fold and to be back to the brink of having the largest J29 fleet of all time. Just one more will put us in a tie and two will secure the record. With so many good 29s sailing PHRF events in the US and Central Canada, there have to be two more that would like to test themselves in a major one design event.

#171 XPHRFer

XPHRFer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:07 PM

Possibly not

No Nothing to prove at all
Thats not what Im saying we all know no one can beat you..........Everyone knows that the proof is in the pudding!!
Im just saying you gotta be bored down here, you must feel stir crazy sailing against these guys in PHRF all the time
collecting all these pickle dishes(BTW what do u do with them all?)
Why not go up there and sail one design, these kind of events are few and far between?
Unless theres a reason you cant go?
Do it Man
This way all of us armchair sailors have some entertainment down here in LI...............LOL

#172 jesposito

jesposito

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,647 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:27 PM

Possibly not

Thats not what Im saying we all know no one can beat you..........Everyone knows that the proof is in the pudding!!
Im just saying you gotta be bored down here, you must feel stir crazy sailing against these guys in PHRF all the time
Why not go up there and sail one design, these kind of events are few and far between?
Do it Man
This way all of us armchair sailors have some entertainment down here in LI...............LOL

The pickle dishes get distributed to the crew. Then there are boxes full of them in my attic and basement.
I am working on getting there, I have to work my family vacation around around my 9 year old being in camp the month of July, and my 14 year old being in field hockey camp and Lax camp, in Aug. Then to top it off they start field hockey practice all day the last week of Aug. I am afraid the only week to go to the beach is the week of the NA's but we are still working out dates.

#173 Squalamax

Squalamax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:54 PM

Possibly not

Do it Man

He throws lesser trophy's out.

Possibly not

That you still have it?
You don't want some other boats name on the trophy for the latest NA's do you? Wait, Edwards name has been on there since 2007 so I guess it doesn't bother you.

#174 jesposito

jesposito

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,647 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:33 PM

Nope, don't really care to much anymore.
Didn't really care much then knowing we won 7 0ut of 10 races. Edwards needed the local RC to help him win. Look at how he's done since winning that
Trying to sail less and less

#175 usa1136

usa1136

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 11:26 AM

throws out lesser trophies? Based on previous posts I think he pisses on them first!

#176 isma

isma

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 11:42 AM

Didn't really care much then knowing we won 7 0ut of 10 races. Edwards needed the local RC to help him win. Look at how he's done since winning that

Yeah, look at him. He had the guts to step into a different class...and you? Still beating a small handful of boats in a handicap division. Valedictorian of summer school.

#177 jesposito

jesposito

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,647 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 06:59 PM

Yeah, look at him. He had the guts to step into a different class...and you? Still beating a small handful of boats in a handicap division. Valedictorian of summer school.

Didn't I tell you to go do something.
Besides I'm still waiting for my steak dinner,CUNT!

#178 the grand wizard

the grand wizard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 06:38 PM

Did local RC know that you're a sailing legend when they called you OCS

#179 sailman

sailman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,785 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 06:58 PM

If we were not the exception of being called over there would not have been a problem.

#180 jesposito

jesposito

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,647 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:06 PM

Of course they did, that is why they did it. They knew it was the only way we could be beat. B)

#181 Squalamax

Squalamax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:19 PM

throws out lesser trophies? Based on previous posts I think he pisses on them first!

He pisses in them and passes the "beer" off to his competitors.

#182 sailsouth48

sailsouth48

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 05:46 PM

Trying to convince my boat partner on Uno Mas (the one that's a good sailor) to sack up and make the trip North. If you know him give him hell.

#183 Green Bastard

Green Bastard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 03:47 PM

Below is the latest blog posting on the regatta website - Enjoy!

6 weeks to go...

Let's Go Espo!
POSTED ON JUNE 26, 2012

Posted Image

John Esposito's Hustler windsurfing this spring in Rye, NY

We are about seven weeks away from the 2012 J29 North Americans. As I noted in my last blog welcoming the crew of Scotch Mist IV to the event, we sit one boat short of the all-time J29 regatta record. There are several 29s in Atlantic Canada that may yet join in and get us there either because their owners decide it just doesn't make sense to sit on the sidelines or because an outside competitor decides to pick them up as a charter.

I've been campaigning informally to encourage a charter or two and I think Matt Stokes has probably been putting more effort into it than I have. Both of us, however, have a holy grail that we are seeking that would truly make this year's North Americans the best ever.

The boat we would like to see above all others is John Esposito's famous Hustler. I have never met Mr. Esposito but I have had the pleasure of corresponding a bit. Matt has been in even more communication lately thanks largely to the ongoingJ29 North Americans thread on the Sailing Anarchy Forum, in which both John and Matt participate.

I've made mention of John too in connection with the unfortunate passing of his friend John Lavin, who was the first American to commit to the Lunenburg event after it was approved. In that article, I mentioned that John was a "many time" North American Champion. He is, in fact, a seven-time winner the North American Championship, which makes him the unquestioned Gretzky of our class.

John's name, of course, invites hockey analogies. Like the hockey Esposito (Phil not Tony), he is also direct. He had a major role in negotiations concerning the North Americans, making it clear what conditions he wanted for his compatriots. He got most of them too. He'll also tell you that he's accustomed to winning on the race course and usually does.

John has in fact been keeping Matt up-to-date on his recent successes. Like a lot of our American friends he's been doing pretty well in PHRF events. In spring, he let us know that he won the 11-race American Yacht Club Spring Series in Rye, New York, as illustrated above. This week, he added that he won Block Island Race Week with bullets in 7 out of 9 races. Among his victims was the Mighty Puffin "with Quantum loft owner Steve Thurston and Etchells NA Champion and partner at Hall rigging Phil Garland aboard." [Espo quote]

That's pretty damned good John and it just adds to the argument that YOU ARE THE MAN who should be coming north this August to show us Canucks how it's done. We've got world champs, national champs, club champs, sailmakers, riggers, and fibreglas repair experts by the yard for you to beat up on. For us it's our chance to beat the man who beat the man. For you, it's a chance to beat the bunch of us all at once and settle once and for all who is the best J29 sailor the world has ever seen.

TAGGED HUSTLER, J29, J29 NORTH AMERICANS, JOHN ESPOSITO, LUNENBURG, NORTH AMERICANS, SAILING

#184 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,222 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 03:59 PM

Wow........

#185 Kevlar Edge

Kevlar Edge

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,855 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:21 PM

Damn!

#186 Punani Jackson

Punani Jackson

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts
  • Interests:Cigars, booze and easy women.

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:51 PM

Sounds like somebody has a man-crush on Espo.

#187 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,222 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 03:23 AM

Gauntlet = Thrown Down

#188 Green Bastard

Green Bastard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 10:25 PM

Just a friendly reminder that the early bird deadline for regatta registration is July 10, 2012. The entry form can be obtained here - http://j29northameri...entry_form1.pdf

$150.00 covers regatta entry fee, dockage at LYC, lots of free drinks, live music, prizes, and a regatta to tell your grandkids about...

Cheers!!

#189 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,222 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 03:11 AM

Just a friendly reminder that the early bird deadline for regatta registration is July 10, 2012. The entry form can be obtained here - http://j29northameri...entry_form1.pdf

$150.00 covers regatta entry fee, dockage at LYC, lots of free drinks, live music, prizes, and a regatta to tell your grandkids about...

Cheers!!

$150 for all that? Jesus that's a deal...

#190 Green Bastard

Green Bastard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 06:26 PM

Cheers!!

$150 for all that? Jesus that's a deal...

We're not F-ing around here....no excuses....come out and sail J/29'ers.

#191 Green Bastard

Green Bastard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 02:09 AM

Below is the latest blog on the regatta website:

Show Us the Money
Posted on July 1, 2012 by John Heseltine 0

It’s always amazing how time rolls along. You start planning for an event like the J29 North Americans while they’re still running the bubbler down at the yacht club and everything seems so far off.

It’s not like the event is upon is yet either but it is now only six weeks. It was beautifully sunny and 29 degrees today in Halifax (Centigrade, which is a roasting temperature for our part of the world). Blowing a comfortable 15 knots or so too.

Tomorrow is Canada Day and lots of clubs will be running events here to commemorate the decision of our forefathers to maintain the world’s longest and friendliest border instead of becoming states 38 through 41 (our four original provinces, including Nova Scotia, could have followed Nebraska and beaten out Colorado in 1867). At my club, the Royal Nova Scotian, we have a race and roast a pig. I have no idea why we roast a pig.

It’s kind of a marker day, though, when we know summer has really started and we are going to be able to go outside without gloves for awhile.

For participants in the North Americans, it also represents the last ten sleeps while our registration sale is on. The fee to register for the North Americans when they start on August 10 will be $200. Until July 10, however, you can register for a mere $150. If you are an American (Espo!?), as a matter of fact, its more like $145 as our dollar (the “loonie” as we call it) has been sliding back to its traditional fraction of the greenback. That’s enough saving to buy a night at the Windjammer during Chester Race Week (excluding HST, I have to acknowledge).

It’s a deal too good to pass up. The registration form is conveniently accessible on the sidebar to the right and you can pay with major credit cards as well as a cheque, or the coin of the realm (greenbacks at par). You can even get BBQ tickets for $10 (US$9.50) instead of $12. You’re only getting 2 per cent on your money these days anyway, so spend it now and make a commitment to the best J29 event so far this century.

Tagged J29, J29 North Americans, Norh Americans, Sailing

#192 XPHRFer

XPHRFer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:45 AM

I think if you guys pay his entry fee,travel expenses,hotel charges,food for him and his crew he may strongly consider coming?
Keep your fingers crossed and put the offer on the table.You never know? If that don't work offer him $$$$ whatever these Rockstar Pros get to do a regatta nowadays ;)...............

#193 isma

isma

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:09 AM

From what I've gleaned from Espo's posts is that he might not know where Canada is. He's not only a Dick, but a moron as well.

#194 jesposito

jesposito

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,647 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:18 PM

From what I've gleaned from Espo's posts is that he might not know where Canada is. He's not only a Dick, but a moron as well.

Hey Cunt,
Didn't I tell you to go fuck your mother?

#195 Green Bastard

Green Bastard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:20 PM

Below is the latest blog on the regatta website.
Also a quick shout out to all the competitors in the Route Halifax - St. Pierre Ocean Race finishing on the French islands of St. Pierre et Miquelon today. Well done guys!! http://www.routehali...aintpierre.com/

Managerial Experience
POSTED ON JULY 9, 2012

Posted Image

Andreas Josenhans does his version of the “running man” on a Soling foredeck in the 1970s

I’m not sure how long it is now — I’m going to guess five or six years — that Atlantic J29 sailors have assembled in Lunenburg for what I consider it the number one class event in our region. There were regattas in Lunenburg even farther back. The picture on our masthead comes from the J29 page on the J Boats and is tagged as Lunenburg 2000.

I wasn’t a J29 sailor in 2000, though. I started a few years later and, at the time, we used Halifax’s Metro Regatta to feed into Chester Race Week. As much fun as Metro could be, it rotated among the Halifax clubs, which made race management unreliable. It is also a multi-class event in which our large fleet was something of a sideshow.

The move to Lunenburg gave us a one class only regatta. More importantly, it gave us a top flight Race Committee. Every year of the event, Andreas Josenhans has managed racing. Andreas taught me as well as many others to sail in the 1970s but thats a very minor footnote in his long sailing CV. As most readers of this blog will know, Andreas sailed to two Soling class World Championships (with helmsman Glen Dexter, who has been sailing 29s for three years now, and Sandy MacMillan, who often helps Andreas out with race management) and two Star World Championships (with someone called Buddy Melges). He also handled the mainsheet on America’s Cup winner America3 in 1992.

Andreas had a long career with North Sails that overlapped many of his accomplishments as a competitive sailor. He’s still a consultant with North from what I see on the web. Seems like he’s a special projects guy who handles the tough stuff. He knows a thing or two about sailboat racing, in other words. Whether its five years or six in Lunenburg, I can’t think of a single race that I would question under his management.

Anyway you look at it, “Lunenburg” is where North Atlantic J29s assemble to get it on: first for the Halifax BMW One Design Regatta at Lunenburg Yacht Club and then for Chester Race Week, which Sailing World recognized last year as Canada’s largest keelboat regatta and Nova Scotia’s biggest party. For the last four years, Andreas has also managed our course at Chester Race Week, where he’ll be pleased to know, I also give his race management an A++.

There are only two days left to save $50 on registration for the North Americans. The form is near the top of the sidebar to your right. You can register for Chester Race Week at the same time. There isn’t quite the urgency because the $100 surcharge they levy on late registrations doesn’t kick in until August 2. Until then Race Week registration is CDN$200. They are a bargain together for two weeks of top notch competition with the best Race Committee in Eastern Canada.

TAGGED ANDREAS JOSENHANS, J29, J29 NORTH AMERICANS, LUNENBURG, NORH AMERICANS, RACE COMMITTEE,SAILING

#196 C-Rock

C-Rock

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:04 AM

I have not met Espo but would consider his boat to be the best ever sailed J 29, we have had a few emails and recently about his choice of sailmaker. I am not able to make the trip but if it was even remotely close I would go and get spanked just for the chance to sail in this fleet with my J 29 and would then steal all the rig setting's on the Frac boat so I could copy them. To do this all I would need to do is start a rumor that Gretsky was getting beer at the drive through. I am sure the town would clear out, Do they have drive throughs in NS? I also considered going to just watch, my wife was up for it and if only we could get Gary Jobson and ESPN to air it.

There has been allot of crap going on here to get Espo to go. But I can only think that who ever wins it might feel that it is a little hollow because Hustler was not there. Kind of like Apollo Greed after Rocky gave him a beating in the 1st fight. So I am going to start the "Please Espo YOU MUST GO" Fund and will gladly donate $20.00 to make this happen. I will drop $20.00 in the mail in the morning and just need an address. If not for that do it for all those puppies at the pound who don't have a home or all those toys on that Island that Santa flies by every year.

I know you have won it many times and were truly robbed in the last one and I hope you change your mind about going. I wish I could be there to buy you a beer shake your hand and say good job your truly the best sailed J 29 boat EVER.

Cliff Ruckstuhl Hull # 82

#197 Notorious B.I.G

Notorious B.I.G

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 01:06 PM

True Dat!!

In For $20 "PLease Espo You Must Go!!"

#198 C-Rock

C-Rock

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:32 PM

ESPO ESPO ESPO ESPO ESPO ESPO I can see it now you win the trophy and are carried through the streets. All of a sudden you get a call from Francis Ford Coppola and he talks about a Womper and wants to tell your life story some crew member gets a nose job and know one knows who he is and gets laughed out of sailing. Disney jumps in wanting to bank roll the whole thing, that worked well for CAPTAIN Jack Sparrow . All of a sudden your on the cover of a Wheaties box. The Today show call's Jimmy Kimmel Live wants you and you tell Jay Lenno to go Fuck himself. Now your on fire SNL bumps Dennis Conner to get you on the show. Then a record company calls they want you to put out an album, like David Soul and Don Johnson a little "Don't Give up on us Baby" or "Heartbeat" with a rap twist "NOOOOOOO DON"T DO THAT!!!!!!"

ESPO ESPO ESPO ESPO

Cliff

#199 C-Rock

C-Rock

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:04 PM

Just tucked a $20.00 in an envelope where do I send it?

#200 Kevlar Edge

Kevlar Edge

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,855 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:22 PM

Yeah and lets get this moved to the front page and to the sailing anarchy forum, this one has wheels and big hit potential. :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users