#201 jesposito

jesposito

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,537 posts
  • Interests:cycling, skiing and depressing the competition on the race course

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:59 PM

Yeah and lets get this moved to the front page and to the sailing anarchy forum, this one has wheels and big hit potential. :lol:

Yeah maybe someone will donate a set of Quantum Fusion M's for the event

#202 Green Bastard

Green Bastard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Interests:Cigrets 'n' dope...

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:28 PM

Yeah and lets get this moved to the front page and to the sailing anarchy forum, this one has wheels and big hit potential. :lol:

Yeah maybe someone will donate a set of Quantum Fusion M's for the event

John Whynacht has the new Quantum Loft in Lunenburg....I think he's got himself a ride for this event too. Drop him a line and maybe he'll do you a good deal to get you on the start line!

#203 C-Rock

C-Rock

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:13 PM

I am just curious as to why the middle of August was picked for this regatta? Only because that for me is the time frame we take our vacation with our family. It was not posted here until March 4th and not on the class web site at all until I jumped in for that. I am so glad that it is going to happen but just to far for me to go, Maybe next year it could get bumped back 3-4 weeks so as to not interfere with family vacation and having allot more time to plan on it. Our Race Schedule on Lake Erie comes out about that same time but we have the same regattas around the same time every year so we know not to plan for say the 3rd weekend in July for a regatta.

Cliff

#204 Green Bastard

Green Bastard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:22 PM

I am just curious as to why the middle of August was picked for this regatta? Only because that for me is the time frame we take our vacation with our family. It was not posted here until March 4th and not on the class web site at all until I jumped in for that. I am so glad that it is going to happen but just to far for me to go, Maybe next year it could get bumped back 3-4 weeks so as to not interfere with family vacation and having allot more time to plan on it. Our Race Schedule on Lake Erie comes out about that same time but we have the same regattas around the same time every year so we know not to plan for say the 3rd weekend in July for a regatta.

Cliff

The timing was simply a function of regatta scheduling in Nova Scotia. In order to hold this event, we needed a yacht club to come on board who was both willing and capable of doing it. Lunenburg holds their annual J/Boats regatta on this weekend every year and they were keen to up their game to North Americans standard for the event....not that their game needed upping on the race management front, but there are some extra logistics and expenses of running a North American Championships.

Timing is also convenient to Chester Race Week across the bay which starts on the following Wednesday and will have the same fleet of J/29's. People drag their boats to the area and get two great regattas out of it.

Unfortunately that's the nature of regatta scheduling and it kind of is what it is. We knew it wouldn't work for everyone, but it's the best date we could come up with.

#205 Chaise Lounge

Chaise Lounge

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Interests:sailing! and taking photographs

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:48 AM

Cliff

The timing was simply a function of regatta scheduling in Nova Scotia. In order to hold this event, we needed a yacht club to come on board who was both willing and capable of doing it. Lunenburg holds their annual J/Boats regatta on this weekend every year and they were keen to up their game to North Americans standard for the event....not that their game needed upping on the race management front, but there are some extra logistics and expenses of running a North American Championships.

Timing is also convenient to Chester Race Week across the bay which starts on the following Wednesday and will have the same fleet of J/29's. People drag their boats to the area and get two great regattas out of it.

Unfortunately that's the nature of regatta scheduling and it kind of is what it is. We knew it wouldn't work for everyone, but it's the best date we could come up with.

As a bluenoser living out of town, province and country, and happily sailing a J/80, not a j/29, I am still transfixed by all this Espo crap... Don't look back.. Let Espo go..If I can make it up for the races I will just to watch... Friends have a place at Indian Point, with a bubble boat so we could zoom over.
Have a great Regatta!

#206 Green Bastard

Green Bastard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:57 PM

Cliff

As a bluenoser living out of town, province and country, and happily sailing a J/80, not a j/29, I am still transfixed by all this Espo crap... Don't look back.. Let Espo go..If I can make it up for the races I will just to watch... Friends have a place at Indian Point, with a bubble boat so we could zoom over.
Have a great Regatta!

Great stuff. Edgewater Powerboats is an event sponsor, so Sandy MacMillan will probably have a few of those zipping around for press, spectators and boat repairs if you want a ride out to the race course.

#207 C-Rock

C-Rock

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 02:52 AM

Any chance of getting highlights on U Tube after every race?? How about updates every day? So much has been generated here I sure don't want to be left out in the cold or read about it in Sports Illustrated weeks after it is over, because I can't be there

Cliff

#208 Green Bastard

Green Bastard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 04:20 PM

We have an event photographer who will be posting pics, and I expect daily results will be posted online.
I'll see if we can get some video as well....stay tuned....

#209 Green Bastard

Green Bastard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:41 PM

The plan is to post daily photos and results each evening on the LYC Facebook page. This will be linked through the regatta website. The regatta website will also have daily blog updates reporting the day's action on the water from one of the competitors.

After the event, a complete list of results and photos will be posted on the regatta website.

#210 C-Rock

C-Rock

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:58 PM

Perfect

#211 Green Bastard

Green Bastard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 03:10 PM

Below is the latest blog on the regatta website. There's a few local boats still on the fence that could push us over the magic number of 20...

On the Record
POSTED ON JULY 21, 2012

Posted Image

Maestral, shown here in Shediac, has us on the brink of J29 history

We`ve been campaigning since the initial influx of competitors in spring to make this year`s North American Championship the biggest J29 regatta of all time. The record, I`ve been told and have been repeating ever since, is 18. Its unofficial but I read it in Sailing Anarchy so it must be true.

We were within hailing distance early at 17 but John Lavin`s untimely death subtracted one boat and we have inched back with the stellar Scotch Mist IVgetting us back to 17 a month or so ago and, yesterday, Bill Ftch`s Maestral getting us to the magic 18.

Bill is bringing his masthead inboard from Shediac, New Brunswick. He had the misfortune of breaking his mast at Charlottetown Race Week last year, so I assume he will be sporting a new mast.

We, of course, have to get all the boats that have indicated their interest registered and in Lunenburg for August 9 when we will be holding the weigh in. Ten Nova Scotia boats pre-registered before the early registration deadlline and I know of one other boat that simply missed the date and will definitely be joining the fray. That`s a decent one-design fleet and there is no reason to expect that the remaining seven boats on our list won`t follow through to give us a record tying event.

We still hold out hope to break the record. I have a special candle in the window for John Esposito but I`ll be happy for anyone who wants to join us and make this year`s event the best of all time.

#212 crashtestdummy

crashtestdummy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 04:45 PM

Below is the latest blog on the regatta website. There's a few local boats still on the fence that could push us over the magic number of 20...

On the Record
POSTED ON JULY 21, 2012

Posted Image

We`ve been campaigning since the initial influx of competitors in spring to make this year`s North American Championship the biggest J29 regatta of all time. The record, I`ve been told and have been repeating ever since, is 18. Its unofficial but I read it in Sailing Anarchy so it must be true.

We were within hailing distance early at 17 but John Lavin`s untimely death subtracted one boat and we have inched back with the stellar Scotch Mist IVgetting us back to 17 a month or so ago and, yesterday, Bill Ftch`s Maestral getting us to the magic 18.

Bill is bringing his masthead inboard from Shediac, New Brunswick. He had the misfortune of breaking his mast at Charlottetown Race Week last year, so I assume he will be sporting a new mast.

We, of course, have to get all the boats that have indicated their interest registered and in Lunenburg for August 9 when we will be holding the weigh in. Ten Nova Scotia boats pre-registered before the early registration deadlline and I know of one other boat that simply missed the date and will definitely be joining the fray. That`s a decent one-design fleet and there is no reason to expect that the remaining seven boats on our list won`t follow through to give us a record tying event.

We still hold out hope to break the record. I have a special candle in the window for John Esposito but I`ll be happy for anyone who wants to join us and make this year`s event the best of all time.

With all your talk of wanting Espo to join you are ruining the integrity of the event. Without espo you are making it a second tier event so why should we want to attend?

#213 Green Bastard

Green Bastard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:42 AM

On the Record
POSTED ON JULY 21, 2012

Posted Image

With all your talk of wanting Espo to join you are ruining the integrity of the event. Without espo you are making it a second tier event so why should we want to attend?

Thanks for your completely bonehead comment. Why do we want Espo to attend? Because he's a good sailor and talks a big game. Why wouldn't we want him to attend? We want all J/29'ers to attend.
Why should you want to attend? Because the J/29 NA's haven't been held since 2007....we have a world class PRO at the helm...and 18 (or more) J/29's penciled in.

The winner of this event will not be a second tier sailor. Throw your hat in the ring if you want to find out...

#214 jesposito

jesposito

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,537 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 01:07 AM

On the Record
POSTED ON JULY 21, 2012

Posted Image

Thanks for your completely bonehead comment. Why do we want Espo to attend? Because he's a good sailor and talks a big game. Why wouldn't we want him to attend? We want all J/29'ers to attend.
Why should you want to attend? Because the J/29 NA's haven't been held since 2007....we have a world class PRO at the helm...and 18 (or more) J/29's penciled in.

The winner of this event will not be a second tier sailor. Throw your hat in the ring if you want to find out...

He's just bitter, because in the last 16 races they have only beaten us in 2 of them.

#215 jesposito

jesposito

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,537 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 01:11 AM

On the Record
POSTED ON JULY 21, 2012

Posted Image

Because without me it is a second tier event. Maybe if you are lucky enough to win, you can count how many times Hustler is on the half model. Matter of fact they should change the color scheme on the model to gray with white water line and brown bottom

#216 No.6

No.6

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,697 posts
  • Interests:Danger

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:41 PM

Because without me it is a second tier event. Maybe if you are lucky enough to win, you can count how many times Hustler is on the half model. Matter of fact they should change the color scheme on the model to gray with white water line and brown bottom

King Dick has spoken people.
Besides, johnnie didn't win any of those, his father did. He just likes to take credit for it all.

#217 jesposito

jesposito

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,537 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 06:26 PM

King Dick has spoken people.
Besides, johnnie didn't win any of those, his father did. He just likes to take credit for it all.

I haven't heard much from you in the last week, I thought you might of gotten a job. NOT! How foolish of me to think someone would actually hire you with you past employment record.
Anyhow if you are ever lucky to see the trophy you will see both names. Unlike your dad mine actually likes sailing with me and including me in all the glory. Again glory, none of which you experienced with your father. Since I haven't seen your names on to many or any at all overall trophy's.
Now if all of us here on SA are only lucky enough, you will be washed oeverboard in the Around Long Is Race during a squall, never to be recovered.

#218 No.6

No.6

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,697 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:31 PM

Well the old man did win the C&C 35 Class Championship twice back in the 70's IIRC. Mostly he and his friends were out for a good time when I raced with him as a little kid.. Come 1500 hrs they would start singing "It's Gin and Tonic time, it's Gin and Tonic time, someone please pass a lime, because it is Gin and Tonic time." So as a 10-14 year old, the boat would be turned over to me to sail single handed through the night until they woke up sometime just before dawn. Learned a great deal about sailing at night.
Can't believe you would crowd out your old man's name on a trophy johnnie. Bad enough you do that crap on scratch sheets, but to rob his thunder on the trophies really is pathetic. All just to feed your massive ego that you have cultivated to hide your enormous inferiority complex.
BTW, I've had the pleasure of sailing a good 30,000 miles with my old man. If he wasn't six feet under, we would be still racking up the miles. You, on the other hand, won't sail with your dad any longer because the PHRF committee won't give you credit for having him aboard. True story folks, that is the real espo. So sad really. His girls won't sail on Hustler with him and he won't let his old man on the boat because he can't get a crew weight waiver. This might come as a shock to you johnnie, but there are people who would do anything to have their family sail with them, results be damned. You, on the other hand, would happily leave them ashore just so you could claim all the glory, deservedly or not.
Pretty weak that you would wish another sailor die johnnie, but that is just the way you roll. You know so many of the friends I made while sailing around the marble have been lost at sea. Breaks my heart to think about them.

#219 Green Bastard

Green Bastard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:31 PM

Below are the latest Atlantic J/29 results from Charlottetown Race Week. Very close racing with the regatta decided in the last race, and a surprise with local favourites "Dog Party" finishing out of the money.
Congratulations to the Christie family on "Colmonell" for the win!!

J 29 Fleet
Sailed:8, Discards:1, To count:7, Ratings:PHRFTOT, Entries:8, Scoring system:Appendix ARankFleetBoatClassSailNoClubHelmNamePHRFTOTR1R2R3R4R5R6R7R8TotalNett
1stJ 29 ColmonellJ 29135RNSYSScott/Matt Christie 3.0 2.0 (4.0) 2.0 1.0 1.0 1.0 2.0 16.0 12.0
2ndJ 29 JaegerJ 29329 John Whynacht/Graham Eisenhauer 1.0 1.0 1.0 1.0 2.0 4.0 (9.0 OCS) 3.0 22.0 13.0
3rdJ 29 Silver WomenJ 2984675 Andrew Childs 4.0 (9.0 BFD) 3.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 2.0 1.0 28.0 19.0
4thJ 29 SatisfactionJ 2963RNSYSJim Mason 2.0 (9.0 BFD) 2.0 4.0 4.0 2.0 4.0 7.0 34.0 25.0
5thJ 29 Dog PartyJ 29235CYCTerry McKenna 6.0 3.0 6.0 (8.0) 6.0 5.0 3.0 5.0 42.0 34.0
6thJ 29 J142J 29142CYCRon Switzer 5.0 (9.0 BFD) 5.0 6.0 5.0 6.0 6.0 4.0 46.0 37.0
7thJ 29 J2KJ 29148CYCRandy Johnston 7.0 4.0 7.0 7.0 7.0 7.0 (9.0 OCS) 6.0 54.0 45.0
8thJ 29 SensationJ 29232CYCDave McInnis 8.0 5.0 (9.0 DNF) 5.0 8.0 8.0 5.0 8.0 56.0 47.0

#220 jesposito

jesposito

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,537 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:59 AM

Well the old man did win the C&C 35 Class Championship twice back in the 70's IIRC. Mostly he and his friends were out for a good time when I raced with him as a little kid.. Come 1500 hrs they would start singing "It's Gin and Tonic time, it's Gin and Tonic time, someone please pass a lime, because it is Gin and Tonic time." So as a 10-14 year old, the boat would be turned over to me to sail single handed through the night until they woke up sometime just before dawn. Learned a great deal about sailing at night.
Can't believe you would crowd out your old man's name on a trophy johnnie. Bad enough you do that crap on scratch sheets, but to rob his thunder on the trophies really is pathetic. All just to feed your massive ego that you have cultivated to hide your enormous inferiority complex.
BTW, I've had the pleasure of sailing a good 30,000 miles with my old man. If he wasn't six feet under, we would be still racking up the miles. You, on the other hand, won't sail with your dad any longer because the PHRF committee won't give you credit for having him aboard. True story folks, that is the real espo. So sad really. His girls won't sail on Hustler with him and he won't let his old man on the boat because he can't get a crew weight waiver. This might come as a shock to you johnnie, but there are people who would do anything to have their family sail with them, results be damned. You, on the other hand, would happily leave them ashore just so you could claim all the glory, deservedly or not.
Pretty weak that you would wish another sailor die johnnie, but that is just the way you roll. You know so many of the friends I made while sailing around the marble have been lost at sea. Breaks my heart to think about them.

I don't consider you a sailor, a hack comes to mind or a piece of shit.
If you keep bringing my girls up on this site you might find yourself taking the dirt nap with your father.
You wouldn't meet me at the boatyard a couple of weeks ago when I called you out, because your to much of a pussy, BUT I will come looking for you. So try me.
Mention them again.
For your info, I'll be down at Consolidated tomorrow morning from approx 10-12:30

#221 Chaise Lounge

Chaise Lounge

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:39 AM

On the Record
POSTED ON JULY 21, 2012

Posted Image

Cool! Looking good guys!
Boy I wish I could make it up just to watch!

#222 Green Bastard

Green Bastard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 03:49 PM

UPDATE:

A J/29 (frac) has just been offered for charter for this event. The boat has been refurbished over the past winter (it's called "Winter Project"). She's in the water at LYC and ready to sail. The cost for the charter is $1,000 for the event, and you have to provide your own sails.

If anyone is interesed, please contact me ASAP.

#223 No.6

No.6

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,697 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 04:54 PM

If you keep bringing my girls up on this site you might find yourself taking the dirt nap with your father.
You wouldn't meet me at the boatyard a couple of weeks ago when I called you out, because your to much of a pussy, BUT I will come looking for you. So try me.
Mention them again.
For your info, I'll be down at Consolidated tomorrow morning from approx 10-12:30

johnnie I would never mention your girls in a malicious way. Never. I just find it curious you don't sail as a family.
Sorry, too busy to meet you this week. Besides, middle aged men calling people out on the internet is about as pathetic as it gets.
As for who is a piece of shit, you my friend own that. Shame you are not smart enough to grasp that....but it is pretty funny to watch.

#224 jesposito

jesposito

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,537 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:55 PM

Mention them again.

johnnie I would never mention your girls in a malicious way. Never. I just find it curious you don't sail as a family.
Sorry, too busy to meet you this week. Besides, middle aged men calling people out on the internet is about as pathetic as it gets.
As for who is a piece of shit, you my friend own that. Shame you are not smart enough to grasp that....but it is pretty funny to watch.

My kids have much better things to do with there time, than sail around, wait for wind, have to deal with douche bags like you on and off the water.
As far as my dad, he would still be sailing aboard Hustler if he wanted to, but at 84, and being on blood thinners it is not prudent for him to be out there, and that's coming from his Dr. plus his arthritus in his fingers and ankle's don't make it easy getting around a 29 foot boat. So he sailed until 82, and enjoyed 40 years of WINNING in all the different boats he owned. So there are some more facts to make you look like the douche you are. Not that I don't want him out there.
Now for something a WASP will never understand,is "FAMILY" we sailed as a father and son team for the better part of 40 years and so he included my name in all the racie entries and HE gave me the credit through out years, so now it's time for me to pay him back by including him in all the entries. He never hung out after sailing because of douche bags like you. So instead of having to loosen some pompus asses teeth at Larchmont or American he would leave.

As far as calling you out on the internet, if you have so much to say come and say it to me face to face.
Then I would be able to post pictures of what a dead cat on your face really looks like.

#225 No.6

No.6

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,697 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:26 PM

Sad you can't or won't share with your family what your father shared with you. Family Man indeed.
BTW, my old man's racing was cut short by a brain tumor and then Parkinsons, which finally took his life. He did fine back in the day doing distance and ocean races on numerous boats.
You know, if you hate sailing so much, why not take up golf? I can't think of anything better you could do that would improve the sport some of us both love and enjoy.
Lastly, how does it feel to be a has-been? Big claim to fame being in the J/29 class? I guess you still have EBYRA on Wednesday nights. I'll give you credit though, at least you know it was your dad, and not you, who won those championships.

#226 Chaise Lounge

Chaise Lounge

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:03 AM

UPDATE:

A J/29 (frac) has just been offered for charter for this event. The boat has been refurbished over the past winter (it's called "Winter Project"). She's in the water at LYC and ready to sail. The cost for the charter is $1,000 for the event, and you have to provide your own sails.

If anyone is interesed, please contact me ASAP.

Cool! Great news! Will J80 sails fot on a J29? :-)
The chute might!

Good luck to the team that charters this boat..

#227 Green Bastard

Green Bastard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 07:42 PM

Just over one week to go before the start of the J/29 North American's.
Daily results will be posted here - http://www.lyc.ns.ca/racing/racing2012/LYC_2012_J29_NA.htm

This link will also be available on the regatta website along with a daily blog and a link to the photos.

#228 Green Bastard

Green Bastard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 07:49 PM

Below is the latest blog on the Atlantic J/Class Website about the J/29 regatta at Charlottetown Race Week - http://atlanticj.wor...lantic-j-class/

Current Events
29 Jul It has been awhile since Iíve posted anything on the site. With the very unfortunate cancellation of the Shediac Regatta, Iíve been stuck on Jumpiní J-Zeus for nearly two months now. Thank heavens that Charlottetown Race Week has come off and we can move on.

I didnít go to Race Week, but the event attracted a respectable fleet with four Nova Scotia J29s packing it up and hitting the road to take on four Island boats. The Nova Scotians dominating this time around. Iím told there were two very tight competitions at the top end and got some details to elaborate on whatís obvious from the numbers, which you can see in detail on the J29 results page.

What the results clearly indicate is that J24 ace Johnny Whynacht, who has recently joined Quantum Sails as their Atlantic Canada rep and has also taken over Larry Creaserís super fast Jaeger, got off to a flying start. John and crew won all four races on the first day of the event and looked ready to run away. On the second day, however, he slipped just a bit (not much) and then tripped with an OCS that opened the door for the steady Christies in the always dangerous Colmonell. Behind the two front runners were the classís two co-Presidents, who went at the last day tooth and nail.

Johnnyís downfall came in the second last race when he was called over early and unwittingly sailed the race not knowing it would be his drop. He was joined in his disqualification in that race by Randy Johnston in J2K. John and Randy were in fact the fourth and fifth starting line violaters in the event joining three who were black flagged in the second race. The current in Charlottetown is always a challenge and can make starts especially tricky when it is running against the wind.

Critically for Johnny, the second last race was Colmonellís third consecutive win and made a horse race out of what had been a runaway. Notwithstanding a starting run of four firsts and a second, Jaeger had to beat Colmonell in the final race to hold on to the regatta lead.

It turned out not to be. Colmonell edged Jaeger with a second over Jaegerís third, providing a one point regatta victory. The race was won by Andrew Childs in Silver Woman, who finally created some separation between himself and Satisfaction with which he had exchanged blows through eight races. With a bullet against Satisfactionís seventh and took the last spot on the podium by six points.

The win puts the reigning season champs into first for 2012 but thereís lots to go yet. Johnny Whynacht has certainly shown he has what it takes, and Silver Woman and Satisfaction are also clearly capable. Iíd like to think that J-Zeus II9 will have something to say and Iím sure Dog Party canít be counted out. All will be at the North Americans in Lunenburg, which promises to have 18 boats and, consequently, will play large in determining the champion under this yearís boats beaten arrangement.

• S/M Christie, Colmonell, 16 total pts., 12 net pts.
  • J Whynacht/ G Eisenhauer, Jaeger, 22 total pts., 13 net pts.
  • A Childs, Silver Woman, 28 total pts., 19 net pts.
  • J Mason, Satisfaction, 34 total pts., 25 net pts.
  • T Mckenna, Dog Party, 42 total pts., 34 net pts.
  • R Switzer, J142, 46 total pts., 37 net pts.
  • R Johnston, J2K, 54 total pts., 45 net pts.
  • D McInnis, Sensation, 56 total pts., 47 net pts.

#229 Green Bastard

Green Bastard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:51 PM

Below is the latest blog on the regatta website....another sponsor on board to help show the J/29'ers a good time!

Party On
Posted on August 8, 2012 by John Heseltine 0

Posted Image West Nova Fuels is sponsoring Saturdayís Pub Night Band

When I got J-Zeus II9 into Lunenburg on Sunday the subject of the social schedule for the North Americans came up. If we were going to sail for three days, Lorna wanted to know when she could come down and cut a rug. I knew there was a BBQ because tickets were offered at a discount when I registered. I realized, though, that I didnít know when the BBQ was going to take place or much about what was going on the other two nights besides Prize Giving on Sunday, which is a classic no brainer. Last night it came up that West Nova Fuels is sponsoring the band for Pub Night, although I didnít know what Pub Night was or what night it might be.

It all prompted me to ask Ian Mann, who is in charge of this stuff and seems to be a very well organized man, for a few specifics so I could detail our Schedule page and tell my wife what night would be best to make the trip from Halifax for a little action. As it turns out, Ian and Lunenburg Yacht Club have done some very fine work. After weigh in is done, crews will be treated to coffee and muffins all three mornings of the event. After racing on Day 1 a beer keg will be available along with free samples of product from Goslingís Rum. Afterwards will be the BBQ for which crew can pay $10 at registration or $12 at the event. Iíve been at several LYC BBQs and can attest to the fine quality of the food. Day 2 will also justify another keg after which LYC will host Pub Night with the band kindly provided by West Nova Fuels. Sunday, of course, will wrap up with prize giving, another area in which LYC has traditionally excelled thanks to the exceedingly generous sponsorship of the Yacht Shop.

Iíve revised the Schedule page for reference and want to encourage everyone to come out and enjoy. Regattas arenít just about the racing and we can only thank LYC for putting on a full program. Race your heart out during the day and dance your buns off every night.

Tagged Ian Mann, J29, J29 North Americans, Norh Americans, Sailing, Social

#230 jesposito

jesposito

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,537 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 07:41 PM

Looks to me it is going to be a Canadian Championships instead of a NA's.

#231 Punani Jackson

Punani Jackson

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • Interests:Cigars, booze and easy women.

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:13 PM

Looks to me it is going to be a Canadian Championships instead of a NA's.

Racing starts tomorrow Espo. When are you going to tell the J29ers that you're in Nova Scotia and registered for the big event?

#232 jesposito

jesposito

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,537 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:50 PM

RESULTS????

I'd like to see who I would be beating up on if I were there. ;)

#233 nssailor

nssailor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:36 PM

Will be linked from the offical site soon, but have actually been going up in real time from the water. Link here:
http://www.lyc.ns.ca/racing/racing2012/LYC_2012_J29_NA.htm

RESULTS????

#234 nssailor

nssailor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:38 PM

Excellent day here if a little light. Sunny, 25C (about 78F for you Yanks), winds started at 155, ended at 185 and 6-10 knots.

Will be linked from the offical site soon, but have actually been going up in real time from the water. Link here:

RESULTS????

#235 Chaise Lounge

Chaise Lounge

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 01:43 AM

Excellent day here if a little light. Sunny, 25C (about 78F for you Yanks), winds started at 155, ended at 185 and 6-10 knots.

RESULTS????

Short courses.... That's cool...

#236 C-Rock

C-Rock

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 02:53 AM

What happened to Sea Fest and Mighty Puffin?? No USA Boats?

#237 jesposito

jesposito

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,537 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 01:02 PM

They wouldn't have me to follow around the race course, so they bailed ;)

#238 crashtestdummy

crashtestdummy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 02:03 PM

It wasn't a true North American championship because the king wasn't there so why travel all that way to race second tier boats

#239 maritmesailski

maritmesailski

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 05:32 PM

good write up on the main sight from the second place boat (and web master).

http://j29northamerican2012.com

#240 Green Bastard

Green Bastard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:17 PM

Below is the racing summary from the J/29 North Americans from the regatta website. An absolutely fantastic regatta won by a very deserving crew. Well sailed Jaeger!!!!!!!

Fast and Steady Wins
Posted on August 13, 2012 by John Heseltine 0

Posted Image The 2012 North Americans started well.

Itís all over. Iíve done these Web sites for other regattas that Iíve competed in. Last year for the J24 North Americans I was able to post stories each day but in that case we threw it together at the last minute and didnít care too much how it turned out (we missed one race because we voted to go back and get our beer). I havenít posted anything for this one yet, though, because I started preparing during the winter and definitely did care about our results.

Lunenburg Yacht Club was, once again, a perfect host. Excellent race management on world class sailing waters. The weather wasnít completely perfect but, on the whole, it was pretty good. Two days of sun with light to medium winds on either side of a day with some fog and rain, and heavier but far from crazy breezes. It provided a good and varied test that was fair for everyone. Ample opportunity for 11 double windward-leeward races.

We had hoped for 18 boats, which would have set a record for J29 one-design racing. In the end, only 14 showed up. All were from Atlantic Canada. They definitely included lots of good sailors, though, keen to make a run at the biggest prize weíve ever been able to offer for J29s in our region. There were no easy races and lots of interesting incidents, some of which I observed from my spot as spinnaker trimmer and boat tuner on J-Zeus II9. To organize things Iíll run down each day in order and hope that readers wonít be annoyed by a J-Zeus II9 bias that I think is pretty hard to avoid under my circumstances.

Friday, August 10
The forecast for Friday was light winds. According to Windfinder, it would only be blowing one knot at noon when the first race of the regatta was supposed to start. We set JZII9 up loose in expectation of a drifter but as things got underway the wind came up nicely into the 5 to 10 kt range. Erik Koppernaes, who makes our sails and sails our boat when we really want to do well, got a great start to initiate a pattern that prevailed through the regatta. We were just above former Laser North American Champion Andrew Childs, however, and Andrew quickly edged in front of us and was soon leebowing us. From there Andrew excelled and we did not. He moved to the front and won the race comfortably over Johnny Whynacht in Jaeger with Lunenburg stalwarts and many times fleet champions, Scotch Mist IV, in third. We slid back to 10th and I reckon would have been last if the race had gone another two legs.

We couldnít point and we werenít very fast in a straight line. We quickly assessed that our rig was too loose and set to tightening things up for Race 2 in the hope that half a year of preparation wasnít going amount to repetitive double digit placings. Fortunately, we hit the numbers for the second race, which saw a bit more wind than its predecessor. Erik won his second start in a row and this time, instead of getting rolled by a superb young sailor, we pulled away and were soon sailing on our own with only Jaeger close on our tail. We bounced back with a win followed by Jaeger and Silver Woman.

The third race was sailed in slightly stronger but still moderate breezes. This time Jaeger got out in front with JZII9 tagging along. On the last downwind leg Dog Party took advantage of a sloppy spinnaker gybe on our part to squeeze into second and put us into third spot. Having Jaeger tack on top of us and watching them gybe downwind in front of us gave us a very good idea of the quality of their sailing and what we were up against.

With the wind building slightly more, we did a little more tightening and set out for further improvement. Once again, Erik won the start and quickly set out for the righthand side of the course. This time, we led at every mark and won very comfortably. Evan Petley-Jones and Jim Mason followed us in Satisfaction. After them, damn it, came Jaeger.

The first day was obviously encouraging to us. In my opinion, Erik won all four starts, even in the first race when we came 10th, and we had won two races. On the other hand, Jaeger had sailed better and more consistently, and they held the lead. It was also clear from our tenth that there was a very thin line between getting it right and missing completely. Starts, mark roundings, interference from other boats, breakdowns, and boat tuning could all jump up and bite sailors where it hurts and often did. Dog Party pipped us in Race 3 but then came 12th in Race 4. Lots of other boats rose and slid in the same way throughout the regatta.

Posted Image Jaeger ended Day 1 alone in first.

Standings

• Johnny Whynacht, Jaeger, 8 pts
  • Erik Koppernaes/John Heseltine, J-Zeus II9, 15 pts
  • Andrew Childs, Silver Woman, 16 pts
Saturday, August 11
The second day of the regatta saw wet and overcast weather. Visibility was periodically limited and winds were stronger. Larger waves made it difficult to find the marks at times as their red colour didnít always stand out as much as I would like. I wasnít really keen on the marks, which were all red tetrahedrons that were difficult to distinguish from each other and could disappear behind waves in even moderate conditions. My only criticism of otherwise terrific work by everyone involved in the Race Committee.

The first race of the day went well for JZII9. We were late getting to the starting area along with about four other competitors and were very fortunate when Race Officer Andreas Josenhans uncharacteristically postponed. We pulled it together quickly though. We spent a lot of time on set up on the way out and when Erik pulled off yet another perfect start, we leapt ahead for another comfortable win. Jaeger, however, stayed with us for another second, followed by Scotch Mist IV, which recorded its second third. By this point, JZII9 had won three of five races but we trailed the much steadier Jeager by five points thanks to our stumble out of the gate.

Just as we appeared ready to make our move on Jaeger, we tripped again. Whereas Erik had been starting beautifully in the first five races, a boat that might as well remain nameless chose to drift through our preferred area by the Committee boat with no apparent awareness of the rights of leeward boats or their obligation to go up when asked/yelled at. We got pinned out a bit and had to work through several boats on the windward leg. We played the left as I recall and just could not get by Satisfaction and Silver Woman, as well as Joy Ride, in which Gerard MacDonald had put together a boat full of excellent sailors led by helmsman Jeff Brock, who were all starting to get a handle on their boat. In front of all of them was the ever reliable Jaeger, which sailed to a comfortable win, followed by Satisfaction and Silver Woman. We passed Joy Ride upwind but lost them on the downwind leg to record a fifth and undo the good work weíd done in the previous four races (in the past, by the way, I would have been high fiving everyone after a fifth but Erik has been raising my standards).

We werenít done for our part though. We made some more adjustments to the rig for the strengthening breeze and went after another one. Once again, Erik nailed the start. We went right and came out on top. Jaeger for once, wasnít immediately on our tail. We won another comfortable one followed by the reigning Atlantic Class Champions in Colmonell and the persistent Andrew Chillds in Silver Woman. Jaegerís crew dug themselves out a moderately deep hole to finish fourth.

For the fourth and final race of the day we again adjusted the rig and went after another win. Iím a little sketchy on the early details of the race. We started every race near the Committee boat and started all but two very well so it gets hard to remember which one we sailed a minute and then flipped versus the ones where we flipped right away. I canít recall exactly where we were around the marks but I vaguely recollect that Satisfaction held the lead at the first windward mark and the leeward mark. I believe we caught them on the second upwind leg because we had the lead as we sailed downwind to the finish.

Satisfaction and JZII9 sailed neck and neck to the finish in a fresh breeze but declining visibility as fog closed in. We were slightly ahead the whole way. Satisfaction attacked us from leeward at one point to push us slightly to the lefthand side of the leg. We were on port and considered later on that we should have simply gybed to starboard and forced Satisfaction to the righthand side of the finish line where we could have held them as the leading and leeward boat until we chose to go to the line. Unfortunately, its not what we did at the time. The little push they gave us to the left turned out to be critcal because the Committee boat end of the line was strongly favoured. Satisfaction never actually passed us but beat us by a few feet thanks to the angle of the line. In third was Joy Ride which managed to stay out in front of Jaeger, much to our delight.

Our one-two in the last two races finally closed the gap on Jaeger, which had recorded two fours. JZII9 finished the day one point ahead of Jaeger. Day 3 promised to be an interesting two-boat contest given that Jaeger and JZII9 had a healthy lead over Satisfaction and Silver Woman, which were also separated by one point, and seemed likely to focus on a fight between each other. JZII9 did however have that tenth from Race 1, which was lying like a ticking bomb ready to blow up underneath us at any time.

Standings

• Erik Koppernaes/John Heseltine, J-Zeus II9, 24 pts, 14 pts net
  • Johnny Whynacht, Jaeger, 19 pts, 15 pts net
  • Andrew Childs, Silver Woman, 34 pts, 26 pts net
Sunday, August 12
As the third day started, we on JZII9 were thinking about two things: how to reset the rig for what looked to be much lighter weather than the preceding afternoon and how to handle Johnny Whynacht and his excellent crew in Jaeger if they came after us. As the first race of the day went into the starting sequence, Jaeger was indeed tracking us, although it was too early for Americaís Cup style circling. For the second time and for no particular reason other than the fact that nobody can win every start, JZII9 was not first off the line. At best, we were fifth and Jaeger was at least third. Johnny covered us carefully upwind and rounded the windward mark in third. We were probably in sixth.

We sailed downwind in a moderate breeze without too much trouble, holding our position behind Georgia Girl, which was in fifth. As we approached the leeward gate, however, we were confronted with three marks in a more or less even row. As I mentioned, all of the marks used for the event were identical tetrahedrons, excepting that they had a stripe on one corner, which I for one hadnít noticed previously. The three marks in front of us were arrayed from left to right as follows: white stripe, blue stripe, white stripe. Two were clearly the gate and the other, just as clearly, was the pin end of the starting line ó the question was which was which. We were sailing to the blue striped mark in the middle when it became clear that Georgia Girl was sailing with deliberation to the mark on the outside with the white stripe that matched the lefthand mark. As the other four boats in front had chosen to go right, we had no other guide. While we thought the middle mark was the right one, we noted that Georgia Girl was going to a white striped mark that matched the lefthand mark and seemed pretty sure about what they were doing. We travelled tentative for about three boatlengths on a reach toward the mark until we looked over our shoulders and saw the next boat rounding the blue striped mark that we had thought was the righthand gate.

With the confirmation of the herd behind us, we headed up three boatlengths below everyone who came around behind us, in ninth instead of fifth (we had passed Georgia Girl thanks to their mistake but the net effect was not so favourable). We were furthermore stuck on the lefthand side of the course while Jaeger sailed to the right beyond our reach following Jaeger and Dog Party. That was the order of finish, with JZII9 racking up our second tenth of the event and essentially sucking the drama out of what was left of the day. Most of our competitors didnít know it but it was all over. JZII9 had registered as many points in one race as we had in the previous five races combined and we had to count those points.

Jaegerís worst race was a fourth. They could count everything they had sailed. We, on the other hand, had two tenths and Satisfaction had just won her second race in a row putting her just two points behind us. We needed Jaeger to sail two consecutive tenths or something similar for us to win and we couldnít take any active part in it because we would risk finishing behind Satisfaction and falling out of second. We just had to do our best and hope for the unlikely possibility that lightning would strike Jaeger (it was sunny and clear).

We did at least bounce back for the third time after a bad race. Erik won yet another start, we went right, and led all the way around the course for our fifth win of the event. Johnny and his crew did not stumble, however. Once again, they stuck to our tail and finished second. In third was Silver Woman. Satisfaction finished seventh, which took the heat off of us.

As the eleventh race started, Jaeger had won mathematically let alone by all realistic scenarios I could imagine. Satisfaction realized as well that their shot at second was remote. The only issue left to be settled was whether Silver Woman could beat Satisfaction by enough to make it into third place. For the last start, we stuck to what had worked so far and it worked again. We won our ninth of eleven starts at the Committee Boat end (I realize I am the sole adjudicator of this but I call them as I see them) and set out to the right for what was probably the 17th time in 21 windward legs we had sailed to that point. At the leeward end, Satisfaction forced Silver Woman over the line and both were called over early. Satisfaction was in a better position to return, however, and established a good lead over Silver Woman at the back of the pack. Eventually, Satisfaction finished sixth over Silver Womanís seventh to secure third overall.

We led the race by a good margin until we were approaching the second windward mark at which point the wind lightened and our rig, which I had been tightening as we went along, became sluggish. Johnny Whynacht, who naturally enough was in second, closed over the last quarter of the leg to get into a threatening position as we started the downwind leg. We went right and Johnny went left. It turned out that left was better and when we came back together at finish line, Jaeger had us by a boatlength for a win that was a microcosm of the regatta. We had started well and sailed fast but Jaeger sailed more consistently, handled their boat a bit better, and got us when it counted.

Final Standings

• Johnny Whynacht, Jaeger, 25 pts, 21 pts net
  • Erik Koppernaes/John Heseltine, J-Zeus II9, 37 pts, 27 pts net
  • Evan Petley-Jones/Jim Mason, Satisfaction, 47 pts, 40 pts net
Tagged Andrew Childs, Erik Koppernaes, Evan Petley-Jones, J29, J29 North Americans, Johnny Whynacht, Lunenburg, Norh Americans, Race Committee, Sailing

#241 Green Bastard

Green Bastard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:19 PM

Below is the wrap up blog on the regatta website. Time to start thinking about next year???....maybe we'll wait until after Chester Race Week to think about that. We have another excellent J/29 regatta to decide this week!

Right Time, Right Place
Posted on August 14, 2012 by John Heseltine 0

When the regatta is over the hardware has to be distributed. Good prizes have always been a tradition at Lunenburg. The Yacht Shop has been a sponsor of every event and they have always loaded the table with top quality swag. In some years they've given prizes for the top four in each race, a custom I particularly liked because I have a bit of a penchant for fourths. Other years they've given prizes to the top five overall, another time that they reached down to reward J-Zeus II9.

This year the spin was toward some fun prizes as well as to reward the top performers. In addition to rewarding race winners, LYC gave prizes for the Best Dressed Crew, the Best Road Story, and the Best Regatta Blooper. Class co-Presidents Evan Petley-Jones and Andrew Childs also sprung some surprise thank yous for making regatta arrangements.

Posted Image Foxfire shows its how you look.

The Best Dressed Crew went to Mac Morrison of Foxfire, who is an unquestionable style leader. Mac's is a cracker jack boat refinisher (he did some fine work on the cabin of JZII9 before the regatta) and knows how to make things look good. His own boat is a picture with an immaculate finish and a very professional custom logo. He shares his boat with his sister and girlfriend who add a nice woman's touch to everything including super cool black outfits that they will have to put in a trunk when they reach 30. Being a gentleman, Mac took his opportunity to thank some fleet members for helping him get started with his boat. It's one thing to look classy but another to live it.

Best Road Trip went the crew of Georgia Girl, who sent up one of their number to recount the tale. I have to admit that I had a hard time following the details but I did catch that it had to do with bringing their boat back from Atlanta and getting hung up in at customs in Houlton, Maine. I make it a rule to never discuss any interaction that I've ever had with Customs but I appreciate this was competitive story telling.

The third fun prize for the regatta's most awkward moment went to Jeff Brock in Joy Ride. Again, I had a lot of trouble making out the story but I couldn't get over the irony of Jeff Brock winning a blooper prize. Of all the sailors in the event no one exudes more competence. I don't know how the Race Committee missed out on our marking rounding misadventures in Race 9 but they may have felt that was too much of an open sore.

Before the formal prizes got dished out, Andrew Childs also handed out two awards recognizing contributions to making the North Americans happen. I want to mention them, first, because one went to me for which I was very grateful and slightly moved and, second, because the other went to the person who did more than anyone else to make the North Americans a success in Lunenburg. My role was to have the idea to get the North Americans here and fail in the attempt to do so. All I can say is if I had a prize for every stillborn idea I've ever had I'd need a warehouse.

The second went to Matt Stokes, who worked with everything he had to cajole people to Lunenburg once he and Andrew Child's dusted off my dead concept. He wrote a letter to every J29 owner who was a prospect to participate and communicated incessantly to encourage them to follow through. He arranged to get the North Americans trophy from John Edwards in the US, stimulated a lively discussion of the event on Sailing Anarchy's forum, and did a hundred other things to make the event happen. He also did it from Canmore, Alberta, something I didn't realize until about a month before the regatta, when I asked about his participation in a regatta here. Evan Petley-Jones and Andrew Childs also did a lot for the event that no one recognized and they too deserve a round of applause but NOBODY DID MORE TO MAKE THE 2012 NORTH AMERICANS HAPPEN THAN MATT STOKES.

Posted Image
The crew of Jaeger frame the J29 North Americans Trophy. Johnny Whynacht is to the right.

If you've read the results, there isn't much else to say. Evan Petley-Jones and Jim Mason picked up the prizes for third. Erik Koppernaes and I brought up our crew for second prize. Johnny Whynacht and his crew collected the big trophy. Johnny thanked the Race Committee and LYC for hosting the event and providing excellent support, like the experienced regatta winner that he is. If we had won, I would have liked to have said the same just as well, because it was a great weekend made better by a hospitable and beautiful club, and a highly professional race management team.

The 2012 North Americans were won by a top notch crew who represent the best in keelboat sailing in Atlantic Canada and the best in the J29 Class. If there was a disappointment in the event, it was that no competitors arrived from the US. John Esposito called it a Canadian Championship on the Sailing Anarchy Forum but what we really had was the best one design J29 event that will take place anywhere this year. We have the trophy now and our future has to be to use it to maintain our class here in Atlantic Canada and as an attraction to J29 sailors elsewhere in North America to come to Lunenburg and enjoy our competition with us.

Tagged Andreas Josenhans, Andrew Childs, Erik Koppernaes, Evan Petley-Jones, J29, J29 North Americans, John Esposito, Lunenburg, Norh Americans, Race Committee, Sailing

#242 C-Rock

C-Rock

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:35 PM

So now we have a frac out board with the trophy. That just great for all us FROB guys. I just wished it wasn't a 3200 mile round trip for me to go. It's just to far.

Cliff

#243 VMac

VMac

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 02:54 PM

Well done folks. Congrats.

#244 jesposito

jesposito

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,537 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 06:30 PM

So now we have a frac out board with the trophy. That just great for all us FROB guys. I just wished it wasn't a 3200 mile round trip for me to go. It's just to far.

Cliff

A Frac only won, because a good masthead wasn't there!
Next year when the NA's are a true NA's back in North America, we will see if this Jaeger crew have the balls to come and defend.

#245 Lee G

Lee G

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 08:26 PM

Cliff

Next year when the NA's are a true NA's back in North America, we will see if this Jaeger crew have the balls to come and defend.

You need to look at a map my friend...

Is this why you wont do distance races?

#246 jesposito

jesposito

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,537 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 08:38 PM

Cliff

You need to look at a map my friend...

Is this why you wont do distance races?

I actually meant the states US. Thanks for the correct.
But to answer your question, yes that is one of the reasons. I can't figure out where the fuck I am.
And they expected me to drive there?

#247 Green Bastard

Green Bastard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 07:30 PM

Another fantastic week of racing in the Atlantic J/29 Class. Congratulations to Andrew Childs and the crew of J/29 Silver Woman for their consistent results and the regatta win. This caps off a great 2 week run for the Atlantic J/29 Class with 20 races in 7 days of sailing. In a few weeks time after everyone decompresses, we'll come back to the table and figure out the best way forward for next year's regatta schedule.

J/29 Results from Chester Race Week are below.

J29 Class

Sailed: 9, Discards: 1, To count: 8, Entries: 8, Scoring system: Appendix A

Rank

Boat

Class

SailNo

Club

HelmName

R1

R2

R3

R4

R5

R6

R7

R8

R9

Total

Nett

1st
Silver Woman
J29
RNSYS
Andrew Childs
(4.0)
2nd
Scotch Mist IV
J29
LYC
Chris MacDonald
(9.0 DNF)
3rd
Colmonell
J29
RNSYS
Matt/Scott Christie
(8.0)
4th
Satisfaction
J29
RNSYS
Jim Mason
(9.0 DSQ)
5th
Paradigm Shift
J29
RNSYS
Williams/Matthews
(9.0 DSQ)
6th
Jonefortwo
J29
Charlottetown YC
Ron Switzer
(8.0)
7th
J-Zeus
J29
RNSYS
John Heseltine
8.0 SCP
(9.0 DNC)
9.0 DNC
8th
J2K
J29
Charlottetown YC
Randy Johnston
(8.0)

#248 Green Bastard

Green Bastard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:43 PM

ONE DESIGN!! LOOK AT ALL THOSE FROB'S GO!!
Below is the latest blog on the regatta website with a link to some of the regatta photos. A CD containing all of the regatta photos taken by the Sackville Photo Club could be mailed out to any J/29ers who'd like to see what they missed. Contact me if you'd like a copy of the CD.

Picturesque

Posted on August 19, 2012by John Heseltine

Posted Image
The photogenic Joy Ride was the subject of my favorite picture of the 2012 North Americans taken by Steve Wood. The unnatural blue of the water reminds me of a 1950s tourist postcard. Wish you could have been here with us.
I always think that sailboat racing takes the best pictures of any sport. Sailboats — even small ones like J29s – are majestic to look at. Water, sails, and crew manfully grinding on winches or acrobatically launching spinnakers provide dramatic and often colorful shots that are hard for any other activity to match. Photographers love it and usually enjoy the opportunity for action shots presented by a good competitive regatta like this year’s North American Championship.
For the event we were fortunate to draw the interest of two excellent photographers. John Fields a Lunenburg Yacht Club member who was out in his power boat took some great pictures on Day 1 that LYC has posted on their web site. Through all three days as well Scott Wood, who is a member of the Sackville Photo Club, took literally several hundred pictures of the regatta on and off the water. Scott put the pictures on a very complete DVD that I understand LYC is distributing to all of this year’s competitors. I have mine already as I asked for it to mine for pictures for recent posts on the event. I hope everyone else appreciates both John and Scott’s excellent work and the terrific record they have provided.

Tagged J29, J29 North Americans, John Fields, Lunenburg, Norh Americans, North Americans, Photography, Sailing, Steve Wood

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users