65 replies to this topic

#1 Cutter

Cutter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 03:10 AM

My watch went swimming by itself on the weekend, so time for a newbie. What is a good yachting watch. yes ive searched you type in yacht and watch and see how many results you get......

#2 nroose

nroose

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,556 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 04:01 AM

Timex Ironman Tri. Cheap, Rugged, Good timing options. When I was a kid, I had a nice heuer stopwatch. I still have it but it doesn't work very well. And I'm sure my grandfather paid too much for it.

#3 CowboyKell

CowboyKell

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 04:14 AM

real sailing watch

Anything else just won't do.

#4 Ultraman

Ultraman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 04:19 AM

Yes, the Rolex Yacht Master is the business, but for those of us buying one new sail a year look no further than here...

#5 Foolish

Foolish

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 03:55 PM

Watches are like sunglasses; disposable. From your post you've already learned this once. I buy mine at a booth at the local airport or mall for under $20.

#6 Rum Runner

Rum Runner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 04:41 PM

Yes, the Rolex Yacht Master is the business, but for those of us buying one new sail a year look no further than here...

I've had a Suunto sailing watch for a number of years and have not been pleased with the battery life and poor night-time illumination. The sailing timer is good but a lot of other watches have this as well. Next time I'll get something cheaper probably.

#7 trenace

trenace

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,282 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:04 PM

real sailing watch

Well, I was just about to buy one -- really I was, oh yes -- but then they required that I sign a user agreement before being able to see their precious brochure.

Sorry boyz. That seemed a bit of attitude, so that was the end of that. Homie don't play dat.

#8 CowboyKell

CowboyKell

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:08 PM

Yeah, realisticly I wear a ladies ironman. Because I have dainty wrist' and it fits under foulies easily and the buttons dont get pushed by just rolling your hand around. But when the cannon goes off the little watch gets thrown in the bag and the rolly goes on, I would wear it inside out if I could.

#9 JST

JST

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Interests:sailing

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:11 PM

I have been really happy with the Gill Regatta Master II. It works great. It might be a little more then the Timex but I think it's better for what we do.

Gill Watch

#10 knobblyoldjimbo

knobblyoldjimbo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,532 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:42 PM

Depends on your budget, rolex then fine (ie out of my league) - I use an Optimum Time watch (has ISAF starting timers) - bought over the net from the UK, about A$70 I think, about half the same watch from Ronstan, takes a couple of weeks in the post. My Timex Ironman stopped working properly and I have a Casio but that's just ugly and small faced.

#11 radicalmove

radicalmove

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 12:45 AM

In a pinch my iron man does just fine. However, I like
the Ronstan. Lots of very useful features. Like a synch
function, a rolling function for when starts gets postponed
and really really big numbers. I've seen a number of people
strap it to the mast in larger dinghies.

If the Optimum Time is really only $ 70AUS and pretty comparable
to the Ronstan, I need to check it out. Wonder what it would cost
coming to the US.

#12 Jonathan Green

Jonathan Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Interests:US East coast single & double handed distance racing

Posted 06 March 2012 - 05:54 PM

If you don't mind wearing a watch the size of a can of tuna, I like this one. I've been wearing a predecessor model for 6+ years, putting it through hell and worse, and it keeps on ticking, figuratively. Compass, tides, barometer, count down timer that's great for the starting sequence, 5 different alarms for your offshore watch schedule, etc. My biggest complaint, battery life, seems to be mitigated on this newer model by augmenting the battery with solar power. I keep thinking mine's going to die and I'll get this new model but it hasn't happened yet.

#13 Yachtdog

Yachtdog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 05:59 PM

I have a Rolex but it needs to be adjusted all the time. Mine is just a nice gold bracelet that if in a pinch could give me an idea of about what time it is. Even then, I have a hard time seeing the hands on it because the face and hands are gold too.

Timex works just fine for countdowns and all...

#14 Schnick

Schnick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:59 PM

If you don't mind wearing a watch the size of a can of tuna, I like this one. I've been wearing a predecessor model for 6+ years, putting it through hell and worse, and it keeps on ticking, figuratively. Compass, tides, barometer, count down timer that's great for the starting sequence, 5 different alarms for your offshore watch schedule, etc. My biggest complaint, battery life, seems to be mitigated on this newer model by augmenting the battery with solar power. I keep thinking mine's going to die and I'll get this new model but it hasn't happened yet.

I just bought the solar powered, titanium banded version of this Casio and it is great. Cost 5x what a basic Timex Ironman did, and probably isn't worth it for daily use, but I really like the barometer thingy and the timer is a bit better than Timex too (beeps on the minutes, audible final 10 seconds etc). It is probably the best watch I've had. Got it on Ebay, arrived via Singapore in about a week, battery reading 'Medium', left it in the cockpit for 2 hours last week while working on the boat and she is still charged up to 'High'. It also has a Power Saver mode which uses the solar and motion sensors to determine when it has been taken off at night, kills the display until you give it a shake.

#15 some dude

some dude

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,025 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 07:13 PM

I have a Rolex but it needs to be adjusted all the time. Mine is just a nice gold bracelet that if in a pinch could give me an idea of about what time it is. Even then, I have a hard time seeing the hands on it because the face and hands are gold too.

gold on gold, you say? southeast florida, you say? lemme guess-your crew shirts are pink tank tops

#16 Marvin

Marvin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Interests:Sailing (Duh!)

Posted 06 March 2012 - 08:15 PM

I like my Suunto M3, mostly because of the large digits and easy timer functions... only complaint is the glass scratches easily.

#17 White Wing

White Wing

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts
  • Interests:Pretty much anything on the water, including skiing on the frozen stuff

Posted 06 March 2012 - 11:29 PM

One of the best ever - 1980's Seiko Silver Wave 100 ...model is A827. Rotating bezel to select 3min, 5min, 10min, 15min (plus 20, 40, 45, 60) countdown - switches to stopwatch mode w/button push to capture your elapsed time. Audio countdown beeps for final approach to the line. When Seiko discontinued this watch, Steve Benjamin bought up a bunch of them to resell - I still have two and have an eBay notify for whenever they show up (rarely!). Great watch if you can find one.

WWing

Posted Image

#18 berzerk

berzerk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:38 AM

Casio never again. I had to muchwarranty issues.

#19 stardate2010

stardate2010

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, circumnavigation

Posted 07 March 2012 - 01:45 AM

I received a Casio Pathfinder about 7 years ago while working in Iraq. It was used the 18 months there, and 24 months in Afghanistan and 24 months in Qatar. Still in use today. Shows timezones, altitude, baro, compass, and probably other functions that I have not used it for. Has solar charging built in, synchs to the NIST world clock signal, and has not killed off the battery. It is not waterproof, but has been in the pool, ocean, and rainstorms of Florida. If it ever dies, I will get another one.
PS: It also has the temperature, and today, costs less than $200...

#20 scowlover

scowlover

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:42 PM

I think the Aquastar watch is pretty cool. I will be bringing them into my store.

#21 Yachtdog

Yachtdog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 01:05 PM

gold on gold, you say? southeast florida, you say? lemme guess-your crew shirts are pink tank tops

:) Yep, you got me! Just remember, nothing goes better with a pink tank top than red hot short shorts and suspenders. :)

#22 jackdaw

jackdaw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,206 posts
  • Interests:The usual stuff.

Posted 07 March 2012 - 01:07 PM

Depends on what you mean by a yacht watch. Lots of things factor. Do you want it to help starts? Need a stopwatch? How waterproof? How does cost play? Batteries? Are you 'into' watches?

I normally wear my Omega Seamaster Chrono, in titanium. But I'm into watches. It's very comfortable and will likely outlive me. As long as I don't give it to Neptune that is. But it is a great watch. If I was more utilitarian about such things, I've probably have a Gill Regatta Master II. I have a GMT Master II which I love, but I actually see nothing 'Yachting' about the original Yachtmaster. Now the new one is better, but I cant wrap my head around the overdone visual treatment. Way too flash for my tastes.

Posted Image

#23 felixshmak

felixshmak

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:12 PM

There's another version with Solar powered battery (http://www.casio.com...EK/PAW1500T-7V/) - battery life shouldn't be a problem now. However, my complaint to this watch is - no synchronisation function once the countdown started.

#24 RumLine

RumLine

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 06:27 PM

The Ronstan is pretty great on the water. But if you want something a little smaller I would go with a Timex. No need to spend a fortune.

http://www.sailingpr...tan_RF4030.aspx

#25 Navigare

Navigare

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Interests:Sailing?

Posted 07 March 2012 - 06:32 PM

The TH Aquaracer, if nothing else so for its name. Solid, waterproof and dependable.

#26 Ballast Technician

Ballast Technician

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 04:01 AM

Both the Rolex and the Suunto Yachtsman are excellent watches - for posing in the bar. For sailing/racing, not so much...

#27 shiny

shiny

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:22 PM

Optimum Time - I've had this model for about five years, and it has never let me down.

#28 Dag-Sabot

Dag-Sabot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Interests:My humps.

Posted 09 March 2012 - 06:43 PM

Both the Rolex and the Suunto Yachtsman are excellent watches - for posing in the bar. For sailing/racing, not so much...

Completely agree. Suunto is battery hog. Sailing watches are for suckers.

#29 learningj24

learningj24

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:29 PM

I have been really happy with the Gill Regatta Master II. It works great. It might be a little more then the Timex but I think it's better for what we do.

Gill Watch

Had a Gill watch that worked wonderfully for a couple of years then went tits up. Sent it back to China twice and it never worked well again. Finally the main adjustment stem fell out for the final time, resulting in a trip to the ash can.

Great watch while it works, crap warranty service when it doesn't.

#30 The Owner

The Owner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 10 March 2012 - 03:51 PM

Been using a Nike outdoor watch for about 5 years. Pretty bulletproof and I think it was about $50. Just got a Suunto Vector. For sequence etc we actually use and Opti timer stuck to the bulkhead

#31 tawgley

tawgley

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 09:10 PM

Have had most all the watches mentioned here and the operative word is HAD ... have found what I think is a very good solution and found it purely by accident. Was in Sam's and noticed this one in the case on sale (Casio PAW1200T). Got it and haven't looked back. The sailing functions are great but so are the others, but the Titanium finish is the best thing along with a VERY tough crystal. All the other watches got scratches and dings on them (including the Rolex and especially the Suunto), this one just shrugs it off. Looks great too if you like big Ti watches. Other really nice things for me are the solar power (it really works and works well) and the time sync with atomic time via ota signal. This thing keeps perfect time all the time and for the price might be the last watch you buy for a long time.

#32 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 11:21 PM

Have had most all the watches mentioned here and the operative word is HAD ... have found what I think is a very good solution and found it purely by accident. Was in Sam's and noticed this one in the case on sale (Casio PAW1200T). Got it and haven't looked back. The sailing functions are great but so are the others, but the Titanium finish is the best thing along with a VERY tough crystal. All the other watches got scratches and dings on them (including the Rolex and especially the Suunto), this one just shrugs it off. Looks great too if you like big Ti watches. Other really nice things for me are the solar power (it really works and works well) and the time sync with atomic time via ota signal. This thing keeps perfect time all the time and for the price might be the last watch you buy for a long time.

What sailing shoes do you prefer with your Casio?

#33 barefoot children

barefoot children

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Interests:Carbon boats and carbon golf clubs

Posted 18 March 2012 - 01:17 AM

Rolex, you gotta be shittin me !!
I really like my Timex Freestyle Mariner. It's got big digital numbers and the Timer function is easy to work and if you miss the 5 min, it can quickly go to 4, or 3, or 2, or you get the idea

#34 marinergeek

marinergeek

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:05 PM

I really like my Timex Freestyle Mariner. It's got big digital numbers and the Timer function is easy to work and if you miss the 5 min, it can quickly go to 4, or 3, or 2, or you get the idea

+1
I have a fabulous dress watch that I leave at home, you should do the same... Walmart has some deals, or an airport place if you are short on time. $9.99 is a good price, you can find them cheaper.

#35 v-max

v-max

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts
  • Interests:Vary daily

Posted 19 March 2012 - 04:01 PM

After watching (no pun..) someone else's Yachtmaster going flying off the boat into the deep last year, I'll stick with less expenseive options.

Timex ironman was better when it had the countdown/count-up option in it but still the cheapest/best option. Suunto is very good.

Seiko has a new sailing watch out, Linky I'll never buy another Seiko again though; too expensive to repair after warranty etc.

I just bought this one Linky from Tissot. Looks cool, could be useful for offshore, we'll see.

#36 USA190520

USA190520

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,935 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 04:20 PM

After watching (no pun..) someone else's Yachtmaster going flying off the boat into the deep last year, I'll stick with less expenseive options.

Timex ironman was better when it had the countdown/count-up option in it but still the cheapest/best option. Suunto is very good.

Seiko has a new sailing watch out, Linky I'll never buy another Seiko again though; too expensive to repair after warranty etc.

I just bought this one Linky from Tissot. Looks cool, could be useful for offshore, we'll see.

I have that seiko.. Great for getting compliments while on land... Completely useless on the water..

Saw the trissot while stranded in Tampa intl... Looks cool but...

Best I've ever had was the original citizen stars n stripes watch... It died...

#37 rorik

rorik

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, martial arts, snowshoeing, archery, reading all sorts of stuff.

Posted 21 March 2012 - 06:24 AM

I've had a Tissot for several years. It's gone everywhere...sailing, hiking, in the shop.... it's held up well. Keeps good time.

#38 Foreverslow

Foreverslow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, racing sailboats,and working on sailboats.

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:13 AM

+1
I have a fabulous dress watch that I leave at home, you should do the same... Walmart has some deals, or an airport place if you are short on time. $9.99 is a good price, you can find them cheaper.

+1. Run them you til the battery dies. Cheaper to buy a new one than replace a battery.
only thing is those cheap ass plastic wristbands smell like gangrene for months. Best to buy now and put on a window sill to outgas a bit.

who cares about countdown timers as most RCs use GPS time

important to ensure a bright backlight to help illuminate your combination padlock after the launch drops you off on your boat half in the bag...

#39 Merit 25

Merit 25

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,658 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:35 AM

http://www.outdoorgb...tegrated_strap/

Buy 2 and give one to your crew, and still have enough money left over to pick up the bar tab.

#40 sumpin

sumpin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,938 posts
  • Interests:scallop mining and rudder fairing
    stair falling book cover mending

Posted 29 March 2012 - 03:19 AM

aztec sundial works fairly well but it is A BITCH putting in my bag

but Musto boots fit well

#41 AvidSailor

AvidSailor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, sailing dinghies, and naval architecture.

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:16 PM

I would reccomend the gill regatta master myself, its simple and impossible to break.

#42 Anthonyvop

Anthonyvop

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,040 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 03:33 AM

Another shameless plug

Posted ImagePosted Image

Alpina Sailing Regatta Chrono

#43 pogen

pogen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,856 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:15 PM

From Mizzen Topman

Posted Image Posted Image

Fighting Ships 1750-1850

“…the end of the Seven Years War saw a technological breakthrough that freed mariners from shackles that had bound them since man first learnt to navigate: the problem of longitude was solved.

“Mariners had been able to fix their latitude fairly accurately from the end of the 17th century using the quadrant and later the sextant to measure the elevation of the sun or pole star.

“To fix their longitude, however, remained a problem, and it rested on the ability to tell the time accurately at sea. It may seem surprising that this was not possible, but clocks themselves were relatively new inventions, and to produce one that maintained its accuracy for long periods of time despite the motion of the ship, in humid and dry weather, and in hot and cold temperatures, was beyond everyone. Everyone, that is, except a young man called John Harrison, who from the age of 12 had kept a watch under his pillow to study its motion and listen to its tick. Harrison had been working on the problem of longitude for 34 years and had produced a number of solutions of varying quality (and enormous size), but in 1760 he produced his masterpiece, the H4. The portrait shows two of his previous inventions behind him, and the H4 in his hand. The H4 was almost frictionless and in a trial set up by the Admiralty it lost only 5.1 seconds in an 81-day voyage to Jamaica. For the first time ever, mariners could find out with a fair degree of certainty exactly where they were.”

Sam Willis, Fighting Ships 1750-1850

#44 judge

judge

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:40 AM

Casio SPF-40T-7V Titanium is the right one. Not to exxy, nice big dsiplay, easy to set up and understand without the book-of-words, good battery life, and lots of toys to keep you from getting bored in rail meat mode.

Seriously though the Rolex/Suunto etc price point is for barflys and "owners" rather than sailors. I hocked my wife and went into the Rolex shop in Geneva last Christmas to look at the Yachtmaster 11 and it took two sales consultants about 10 minutes to work out how to operate the thing.

ANyway when you get to my age and eyesight level anything with hands and more than about two functions is invisible when the shit hits the fan. :P

#45 Monkey

Monkey

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,372 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:49 PM

I have that seiko.. Great for getting compliments while on land... Completely useless on the water..

I still have that watch. I found it a bit cumbersome to wear while racing. I go with some generic Casio I've had for about ten years or so now.

#46 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:55 AM

I still have that watch. I found it a bit cumbersome to wear while racing. I go with some generic Casio I've had for about ten years or so now.

I also prefer the casio.

Now, which sailing shoes do you prefer?

#47 Monkey

Monkey

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,372 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:00 AM

I also prefer the casio.

Red ones. PM Some Dude, he can fill you in on the details.

#48 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:17 PM

I also prefer the casio.

Red ones. PM Some Dude, he can fill you in on the details.

Some Dude has been incapacitated as a result of his herbes flair up.

#49 Geert

Geert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:58 PM

Optimum Time - I've had this model for about five years, and it has never let me down.

I just bought the OS223. Good price/quality I think; build quality is OK (feels solid), good buttons, clear display, easy operation.

#50 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:10 AM

I don't think he is "shittin you."

#51 bulbouskeel

bulbouskeel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Interests:some

Posted 26 May 2012 - 02:13 PM

My watch went swimming by itself on the weekend, so time for a newbie. What is a good yachting watch. yes ive searched you type in yacht and watch and see how many results you get......

I raced Ensigns up in Maine with an old codger a couple of years ago. The guy simply had a Timex wristwatch with a second hand, and nailed every start. You don't need a sync function; you just look at where the second hand is when the horn blows! In addition, most folks nowadays have digital compasses with excellent timers on them. And a lot of race committees now broadcast their countdowns over VHF. Don't know if dedicated sailing watches are really needed these days -- kinda belt and suspenders.

#52 SailMaxx

SailMaxx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:29 PM

These two sailing watches are cool.

http://www.marinerpa...tch-rf4030.html

http://www.marinerpa...tch-rf4031.html

Looks great for racing as it has the 5,4,1, 0 start sequence. I use a casio now, but while driving those sequence beeps would be nice on a windy day...

#53 Yardbird

Yardbird

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:Anything outside

Posted 26 August 2012 - 02:36 AM

This is a good option if you don't want to spend too much...
http://uncrate.com/s...icas-cup-watch/

LOL

Seriously, though, dont overthink this one. I've got a solar titanium Casio Pathfinder, had it for several years, watch out for them on sale and it is worth it, they are veritably indestructible. One watch, many uses, looks good enough for work or play. Big screen (not Ronstan big but still) compass, barometer, etc. Reliable. Only thing I wish it had was a quick timer reset if you miss the horn, but cmon that is asking alot for a universal timepiece. I've got an old Stars'n'Stripes Citizen that just sits on my dresser; looks good for dressy events but no way would I wear it on race day.

#54 Seaferns

Seaferns

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:55 AM

I like my Suunto M3, mostly because of the large digits and easy timer functions... only complaint is the glass scratches easily.

i agree that the M3 is a superb timer. however the folks at Suunto appear to have discontinued this model. Sad. Sad. Sad. the timer on the yachtsman is nowhere near as convenient and intuitive to use as that on the M3.

#55 Lamps

Lamps

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:57 PM

I also prefer the casio.

Casio for sure, but for shoes it depends on what sunglasses I'm going to go with that day.

#56 kalani1987

kalani1987

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:57 AM

Depreciation depends on how long you keep the watch for. Rolex always tend to increase the sale price of their watches so you've got a good chance at getting most of it back.

#57 RATM

RATM

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Interests:My Grandchildren

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:04 PM

I have used the Ronstan watch for 5+ years and it's great. The sync feature is great

Are there any sailing countdown watches that integrate with GPS clocks? The reason I ask is that most RCs do everything on the minute using a GPS.

Here's my "vision".

1. Set watch to GPS integrated mode
2. Tell the watch that your start is in X minutes where x is between 1 and 60.
3. When you hit start, it syncs to the nearest minute according to GPS clock.
4. Countdown proceeds similar to Ronstan 5,4,1 mode

#58 tomcheney

tomcheney

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 02:21 PM

http://sites.garmin.com/fenix/ GPS watch with Waypoint nav too

#59 RATM

RATM

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Interests:My Grandchildren

Posted 23 October 2012 - 03:54 PM

http://sites.garmin.com/fenix/ GPS watch with Waypoint nav too

Interesting. I know Garmin has an SDK so I would imagine a sailing timer could be developed

#60 march

march

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:53 PM

real sailing watch

Are you fucking kidding me? I remember when you were just some long haired, hippy, sometime redneck and now you advocate wearing a Rolex while racing sailboats?

I used to wear my Rolex sailing from time to time because I was too lazy to go below and stash it. Beat the living crap out of it enough times that it no longer pressurizes and I keep it far away from salt water now. It doesn't even have any funcionality that you would want sailing, either. Really a terrible option for racing. Unless you are some Newport Beach poser trying to hide the fact that you are really from Waco, Texas. Then it's probably a great option. Hope the wife and kid are well.

#61 SemiSalt

SemiSalt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,556 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:06 PM

I used up two Timex Atlantis watches. They were fine. I wished the display was bigger.

I have a "jewelry" (i.e. expensive) watch which I wear on land. Right now, I wear a $14 watch from Target on the boat.

#62 pogen

pogen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,856 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:57 AM

I'm really coveting the Official Vendee Globe watch Euro1650, too much for me right now and zero chance of getting it for xmas.

http://www.ralftech-vendeeglobe.com/vendee-globe.php

Posted Image

#63 Drop Bear.

Drop Bear.

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts
  • Interests:none.

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:26 PM

No watches or jewellery are worn on my boat. The injuries can be far too gruesome.

Get some handheld thing that can be stowed in a pouch or pocket. Better all round and bigger displays.

#64 Slim

Slim

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Interests:Your mom.

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:52 PM

No watches or jewellery are worn on my boat. The injuries can be far too gruesome.

Get some handheld thing that can be stowed in a pouch or pocket. Better all round and bigger displays.

What about cock rings?

#65 Rum Runner

Rum Runner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:53 PM

What about cock rings?

Nipple rings too?

#66 _Vegas_

_Vegas_

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,641 posts
  • Interests:Kicking Ass and Going Fast

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:52 PM

http://forums.watchu...57e-655511.html

I have had one of these for 3 years - never had to change the battery - keeps great time (to GPS) and loaded with sailing features - and at under $400 - its the best watch I ever owned.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users