#1 Soundbounder

Soundbounder

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 02:14 PM

This is not the old Brewer's Yacht Haven site:

Davenport Landing is a proposed residential community located on the West Branch of the Stamford Harbor off property located at 28 Southfield Avenue in Stamford. The new development will consist of buildings which will contain apartments as well as a small, 30-boat slip marina. The marina will offer 10 transient slips, 10 slips to the general public, and 10 slips to the residents. There also will be public amenities, including parking, a café and access to the public boardwalk and viewing area.

http://boatinglocal.com/news/stamford-ct-developer-seeks-marina-permit.html

10 transient slips? I bet that gets lowered

Meanwhile, here's an update on the old Yacht Haven site:

Temporary Boatyard Planned for Stamford, CT

According to the Stamford Advocate, the developer of Harbor Point has announced plans to provide a temporary boat-service facility that will be spread across several of its properties along the east and west branches of Stamford Harbor.
The announcement was apparently made in response to calls by the city and boating community to re-establish a working boatyard in the South End, where the former Brewer facility was demolished in January.

http://boatinglocal....tamford-ct.html

#2 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,839 posts
  • Interests:boats, cars, girls....

Posted 05 March 2012 - 02:43 PM

On Google Earth, it looks like an old gravel pit or contractors yard with a paved parking lot at the water...

#3 SemiSalt

SemiSalt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 04:52 PM

I understand that the Zoning Board will meet tonight (3/5) at 7pm at Turn of River Middle school and BLT will present some plan for providing marina service beginning April 15. It's said to include a "hoist". (Which could be a crane, rather than a travellift.)

I'm interested that they are apparently not going to have a fuel dock, which would be not only a great convenience but a potential revenue source. It suggests to me that the fuel facilities were removed or damaged.

Of course, we all know that the "highest and best use" of Stamford harbor is to provide rich people nice views from their office and condo windows.

#4 Dark & Stupid

Dark & Stupid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:29 PM

No fuel. That's convenient. What a travesty what's been allowed to happen to the waterfront in Stamford. (And elsewhere)

#5 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,839 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:33 PM

No fuel. That's convenient. What a travesty what's been allowed to happen to the waterfront in Stamford. (And elsewhere)

Time once was that the poor watermen lived on the shoreline and the rich folks lived in the towns and cities. Totally reversed nowadays....:huh:

#6 Dark & Stupid

Dark & Stupid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:57 PM

People who visit this part of WLIS from other parts of the country (or world) always are amazed we don't have tons of great restaurants on the water around here. :(

#7 SailRacer

SailRacer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,073 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:05 PM

Oh look, that gravel barge and tug is about to.....

Sail Safe!

#8 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:23 PM

People who visit this part of WLIS from other parts of the country (or world) always are amazed we don't have tons of great restaurants on the water around here. :(

Crab Shell :wub:

#9 Dark & Stupid

Dark & Stupid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:40 PM

Ugh, on a canal deep inside Stamford Harbor? Not quite what the visitors envision!

#10 Lee G

Lee G

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:44 PM

The food sucks there and the drinks are way overpriced, although at times it is entertaining trying to watch Joey bag 'o doughnuts from Long Island try and dock his cigeratte boat in the slips there.

#11 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:53 PM

Ugh, on a canal deep inside Stamford Harbor? Not quite what the visitors envision!

Screw the visitors, I want that place all to me. Cougar quality at the bar is top notch and the burgers are as good as anywhere else.

Much like the Ponus and the sandwich shop next door in the ghetto I like the crap shell more in terms of nostalgia and good memories than actual quality.

#12 Lee G

Lee G

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:58 PM

Screw the visitors, I want that place all to me. Cougar quality at the bar is top notch and the burgers are as good as anywhere else.

Much like the Ponus and the sandwich shop next door in the ghetto I like the crap shell more in terms of nostalgia and good memories than actual quality.

Nostalgia and good memories? You arent even old enough to drink....

#13 kevlar®

kevlar®

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,698 posts
  • Interests:Poor taste.

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:01 PM

Meanwhile, here's an update on the old Yacht Haven site:

Temporary Boatyard Planned for Stamford, CT

According to the Stamford Advocate, the developer of Harbor Point has announced plans to provide a temporary boat-service facility that will be spread across several of its properties along the east and west branches of Stamford Harbor.
The announcement was apparently made in response to calls by the city and boating community to re-establish a working boatyard in the South End, where the former Brewer facility was demolished in January.

http://boatinglocal....tamford-ct.html

A temporary boat service facility? That reeks of half ass bullshit.

#14 'moondance44

'moondance44

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,165 posts
  • Location:Dodgy Bit Of Stamford, CT and The Cows, Graveyard of LIS where bluefish get blown off wire leaders

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:11 PM

If you think any food at the Crab Shell is worthy of eating (including the cougars), then you truly dont know what the hell you are talking about. But we knew that!

#15 Lee G

Lee G

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:13 PM

If you think any food at the Crab Shell is worthy of eating (including the cougars), then you truly dont know what the hell you are talking about. But we knew that!

Yep. For a true culinary experience, I highly recommend heading just around the corner to Harry O's. The surf and turf is to die for...

#16 'moondance44

'moondance44

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,165 posts
  • Location:Dodgy Bit Of Stamford, CT and The Cows, Graveyard of LIS where bluefish get blown off wire leaders

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:17 PM

Yep. For a true culinary experience, I highly recommend heading just around the corner to Harry O's. The surf and turf is to die for...

All of these below places are shitty - but they are all 1000 times better than the CrabShell. end

http://www.breakwaters.org/gathering-spots/

Villa Italia
812 East Main Street, Stamford, CT 06902

This is one of the original places BI skippers and crews go to unwind. Some folks have been eating their pizza after racing for over 25 years! The pizza is the best in the area. The crews from Crazy Horse, Phoenix and Swan can always be found here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brennan’s Restaurant
82 Iroquois Road, Stamford, CT 06902

This popular restaurant is a little hard to find but worth the look. It’s off Shippan Avenue. Here you’ll find the folks from: Adrenaline and Lost in Space, .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope Pizza
230 Hope Street, Stamford, CT 06906

The folks on Navis Bona and Windrush like Hope Pizza because it’s on the way home for the New Canaan folks and that the pizza is cut the “Greek way”, into many pieces making it easier to share.

Bulls Head Diner
43 High Ridge Road, Stamford, CT 06905

The sailors on Soulmate like the Bulls Head Diner. A classic diner on High Ridge Road.

Paradise Grill
78 Southfield Avenue, Stamford, CT 06902

The crew from Wingweaver hangs out here or the City Limits Diner

City Limits Diner
135 Harvard Avenue, Stamford, CT 06902

The crew from Wingweaver hangs out here or the Paradise Grill

Frascatis
581 Newfield Ave, Stamford, CT 06902

Oops! crew has been gathering here for pizza, etc. for the past 3 years. Great food, good service and “on the way home for most of our crew”

end

#17 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:29 PM

Like I said, I could give a crap about quality. Those other places are nice too but don't hold the same regard in my heart of hearts... at the moment.

#18 RumLine

RumLine

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:41 PM

All of these below places are shitty - but they are all 1000 times better than the CrabShell. end

http://www.breakwate...athering-spots/

Villa Italia

This is one of the original places BI skippers and crews go to unwind. Some folks have been eating their pizza after racing for over 25 years! The pizza is the best in the area. The crews from Crazy Horse, Phoenix and Swan can always be found here.

Brennan's Restaurant

This popular restaurant is a little hard to find but worth the look. It's off Shippan Avenue. Here you'll find the folks from: Adrenaline and Lost in Space, .

Hope Pizza

The folks on Navis Bona and Windrush like Hope Pizza because it's on the way home for the New Canaan folks and that the pizza is cut the "Greek way", into many pieces making it easier to share.

Bulls Head Diner

The sailors on Soulmate like the Bulls Head Diner. A classic diner on High Ridge Road.

Paradise Grill

City Limits Diner

Frascatis

Oops! crew has been gathering here for pizza, etc. for the past 3 years. Great food, good service and "on the way home for most of our crew"

end

Used to go to Brennan's all the time when we were under aged sailing instructors...

Crab Shell food sucks, but I have to agree with LH, there's never a shortage of talent on a warm Sunday afternoon.

#19 Lee G

Lee G

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:47 PM

Used to go to Brennan's all the time when we were under aged sailing instructors...

Crab Shell food sucks, but I have to agree with LH, there's never a shortage of talent on a warm Sunday afternoon.

I guess it all depends on how you define 'talent'

If you are into the Snooki type, this is the place.

#20 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:23 PM

Brennans is also great, just a little geographically removed from Brewers/The Stamford "Waterfront".

So far it's the best place I've been for a soda after the Vineyard Race Party.

#21 hobot

hobot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,149 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:41 PM

Brennans is also great, just a little geographically removed from Brewers/The Stamford "Waterfront".

So far it's the best place I've been for a Roy Rogers after the Vineyard Race Party.

Sorry, I live on the L/coast but that one wrote itself.

#22 thisissparta

thisissparta

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Sailing :)

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:49 PM

yep, looks a bit rundown but the location is great

#23 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:29 PM

So far it's the best place I've been for a Roy Rogers after the Vineyard Race Party.

Sorry, I live on the L/coast but that one wrote itself.

They also mix a fierceeee appletini.

#24 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,176 posts
  • Interests:My ride: An OCD designed Class 40

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:46 PM

Sharing your wisdom on cougers, Roy Rogers and appletinis. All from a guy who is not legal to drink and has yet to be laid (by a real girl).

You just can not get out of your own way.

#25 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 12:10 AM

Sharing your wisdom on cougers, Roy Rogers and appletinis. All from a guy who is not legal to drink and has yet to be laid (by a real girl).

Tongue firmly in cheek buddy. I have yet to experience any of those things.

#26 isma

isma

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 02:45 AM

Left Hook talking about Cougars is almost as funny as Espo talking about College Textbooks. Maybe seen one, but never used one.

#27 'moondance44

'moondance44

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,165 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 04:03 AM

Tongue firmly in cheek once I'm called out on it buddy. I have yet to experience any of those things.

Fixed

#28 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,839 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 07:55 AM

Is the Penis.. I mean Ponus still there???

#29 Matt B

Matt B

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 11:51 AM

Nostalgia and good memories? You are 12 years old for christs sake!

#30 Hound92

Hound92

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 02:37 PM

http://www.breakwaters.org/gathering-spots/

Villa Italia

Brennan’s Restaurant

This popular restaurant is a little hard to find but worth the look. It’s off Shippan Avenue. Here you’ll find the folks from: Adrenaline and Lost in Space, .

Hope Pizza

The folks on Navis Bona and Windrush like Hope Pizza because it’s on the way home for the New Canaan folks and that the pizza is cut the “Greek way”, into many pieces making it easier to share.

Bulls Head Diner

Paradise Grill

City Limits Diner

Frascatis

Oops! crew has been gathering here for pizza, etc. for the past 3 years. Great food, good service and “on the way home for most of our crew”

end

The only place to go after racing in Stamford is Bobo's (Colony Grill)!

#31 SemiSalt

SemiSalt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 04:49 PM

Is .. I mean Ponus still there???

Ponus, yes. Paradise, not so much.

#32 RUMLIME

RUMLIME

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:17 PM

http://www.breakwate...athering-spots/

Villa Italia

Brennan's Restaurant

This popular restaurant is a little hard to find but worth the look. It's off Shippan Avenue. Here you'll find the folks from: Adrenaline and Lost in Space, .

Hope Pizza

The folks on Navis Bona and Windrush like Hope Pizza because it's on the way home for the New Canaan folks and that the pizza is cut the "Greek way", into many pieces making it easier to share.

Bulls Head Diner

Paradise Grill

City Limits Diner

Frascatis

Oops! crew has been gathering here for pizza, etc. for the past 3 years. Great food, good service and "on the way home for most of our crew"

end

a few of those programs are gone...
a dated list for sure

#33 SemiSalt

SemiSalt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:05 PM

There is a Travel Lift on the site. Nothing else so far, except for some fences.

Sooner (May) or later (June? July?) some degree of service will be provided by the Gardelas (Rex Marine, Cove Marine in Norwalk).

#34 House Salad

House Salad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:50 PM

See the Advocate today? BLT's new boatyard on the West side of Shippan won't handle ANY sailboats and power boats must be less than 30 feet. Are you kidding me? That's a friggin' dinghy yard! These guys will do anything to get Bridgewater in there. I wonder if the Bridgewater guys have seen the flood maps or are aware of what happened there during Sandy. Hedge Fund managers in hip waders.

#35 House Salad

House Salad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:07 PM

See the Advocate today? BLT's new boatyard on the West side of Shippan won't handle ANY sailboats and power boats must be less than 30 feet. Are you kidding me? That's a friggin' dinghy yard! These guys will do anything to get Bridgewater in there. I wonder if the Bridgewater guys have seen the flood maps or are aware of what happened there during Sandy. Hedge Fund managers in hip waders.

Linky: http://www.stamforda...ces-4254073.php

#36 jesposito

jesposito

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,670 posts
  • Interests:cycling, skiing and depressing the competition on the race course

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:43 PM

Only pussies wear hip waders.
But I could see Moondance wearing them.

#37 'moondance44

'moondance44

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,165 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:55 PM

Another good reason to buy a Mac26x
Let's see them outlaw that!

#38 fastyacht

fastyacht

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,161 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:06 PM

Ironic, isn't it? Access to the water is shrinking, and a facility which supported proper yachts is to be turned into a Hedge Fund headquarters...where ostensibly people make enough money to buy proper yachts...

#39 dreaded

dreaded

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,577 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:12 PM

is the marina behind brewer's gone too? the one behind the storm gates? friends used to keep their boats there during the 70's and we sailed out of there as seascouts..

I remember the water being so bad, that one guy got a line fouled on his prop that he payed someone to tow the boat out into LIS so he could jump in and cut it off..

#40 House Salad

House Salad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:19 PM

Another good reason to buy a Mac26x
Let's see them outlaw that!

Your Mac is going to have to go on the highest wrung of the rack. The only dry storage will be runabouts on a rack hauled and launched by a forklift. (I suppose you could always lower the rig, if that is what they call it on a Mac)

#41 House Salad

House Salad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:21 PM

Ironic, isn't it? Access to the water is shrinking, and a facility which supported proper yachts is to be turned into a Hedge Fund headquarters...where ostensibly people make enough money to buy proper yachts...

I thought about it that way too. On the other hand, they should be able to store their yacht in their cubicle at high tide.

#42 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:36 PM

is the marina behind brewer's gone too? the one behind the storm gates? friends used to keep their boats there during the 70's and we sailed out of there as seascouts..

I remember the water being so bad, that one guy got a line fouled on his prop that he payed someone to tow the boat out into LIS so he could jump in and cut it off..

That's still there... as is the East section of Brewers. It was just the West yard with the sheds, travelift and workshops that has been bulldozed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users