#1 Robnacra

Robnacra

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, booze and boobs.

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:41 AM

Thinking about switching from a nacra infusion to an a class for a number of reasons. I have been finding it hard to find useful info on the wide variety of designs.... Other than the DNA is the go if you have the coin. Looking at the tool or an object but can't find much info on either so if anyone can fill me in on either that would be great. Cheers in advance.

#2 TornadoSail2016

TornadoSail2016

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 989 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 06:24 PM

http://www.a-cat.org.au/
http://usaca.info/

You might try both of these sites when looking at the A-Class for information. You are able to send this message out through the usaca.info site. I do not know if you can do this through the Australian site. I do know that there are currently both a Tool and a coupl of Objects for sale through the Australian site.

#3 Lars Schrøder D13

Lars Schrøder D13

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Interests:I skipped SA a while ago because Scott Tempesta and Alan Block are jerks..but its the only forum where a-class is being discussed so...

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:30 PM

Thinking about switching from a nacra infusion to an a class for a number of reasons. I have been finding it hard to find useful info on the wide variety of designs.... Other than the DNA is the go if you have the coin. Looking at the tool or an object but can't find much info on either so if anyone can fill me in on either that would be great. Cheers in advance.

Go and do it - its a wonderfull class. I dont know the Object, but the Tool is a good boat. Not the same finish as some of the others (it doesnt make the boat faster, anyway;-). It has more volume and less rocker than the flyers, Bimares etc. and compared to the newer designs it has straight foils and narrover transom. Steve Ashby sailed a tool for a while and beat the nikitas that was around at that time (like Glenn Brewin did in his Flyer)

The Nikitas, Scheurer, Visions, DMAs are all good boats as well, but you can get at lot of the joy of an a-cat out of older designs as well (and the difference isnt big, a midfleeter in a new flashy design is still a midfleeter...).

Have fun

Lars

#4 ita 16

ita 16

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • Interests:cat builder
    mast builder
    designer

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:42 PM

+1 Lars . Robnacra ,have fun !

#5 tiger11

tiger11

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Interests:Sailing A Class flyer 11

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:01 PM

Its all a matter of how much you want to spend and who you will be sailing against and where you are in the fleet ___ as Lars said a mid fleeter is pretty much always going to be a mid fleeter regardless of the design he is sailing
but the A Group in Aust are a great group of guys

#6 Robnacra

Robnacra

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:20 PM

Yeh been looking the objects and tools that are for sale on the aus a-cat site as they are in my price range. After a year or so I'd be looking to upgrade to a competitive design but for the first year it will be a learning curve getting used to the boat and how to set it up. I'm in cairns so the local a-cat scene in very new and small, but have no problem driving around the country to regattas as I do with the F18, so you see me at every nationals/states. Can't help but think I'm going to miss that spinnaker tho lol.

#7 sailingkid

sailingkid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts
  • Interests:A-cats, skiffs etc

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:00 PM

From what I understand the object was released slightly after the flyer. One that was modified a bit came 1st straight boards boat at nationals, so they aren't too slow if sailed well.

#8 Foghorn77

Foghorn77

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:37 PM

Yeh been looking the objects and tools that are for sale on the aus a-cat site as they are in my price range. After a year or so I'd be looking to upgrade to a competitive design but for the first year it will be a learning curve getting used to the boat and how to set it up. I'm in cairns so the local a-cat scene in very new and small, but have no problem driving around the country to regattas as I do with the F18, so you see me at every nationals/states. Can't help but think I'm going to miss that spinnaker tho lol.

I sail an A and a Nacra 20. I held off a couple of years because of the spinnaker mindset also, but I'm happy to inform you that you probably won't miss it at all. The A will keep you plenty busy downwind and the feel (at least for me) is alot like a spin boat. The acceleration on bearaways, because of the light weight, will feel very familiar. Just do it and you won't look back.

#9 Dazz

Dazz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:14 AM

Dyslexia?

Steve Brewin and Glen Ashby.

Steve's ex tool sails out of our club, Im still sailing the capricorn F18. The tool is amazing in light weather, but so are all the a-cats.

In the big breeze and waves, the tables certainly turn, the F18 is a lot more stable and user friendly. horses for courses I guess.

Go and do it - its a wonderfull class. I dont know the Object, but the Tool is a good boat. Not the same finish as some of the others (it doesnt make the boat faster, anyway;-). It has more volume and less rocker than the flyers, Bimares etc. and compared to the newer designs it has straight foils and narrover transom. Steve Ashby sailed a tool for a while and beat the nikitas that was around at that time (like Glenn Brewin did in his Flyer)

The Nikitas, Scheurer, Visions, DMAs are all good boats as well, but you can get at lot of the joy of an a-cat out of older designs as well (and the difference isnt big, a midfleeter in a new flashy design is still a midfleeter...).

Have fun

Lars

#10 Robnacra

Robnacra

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 07:04 AM

I've pretty much decided to go the a-cat just got to sell the F18.... I will miss the 20knt runs out in the ocean but think I will get over it when I don't have to spend 2 hrs rigging. What I want to know I guess is weather the tool is going to be worth the extra 4-5k over the object given I plan to upgrade once I get the feel for an a-cat?

#11 Scarecrow

Scarecrow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:51 AM

Save the 4k and buy the set of DNA foils that are listed

#12 Foghorn77

Foghorn77

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 06:16 PM

I've pretty much decided to go the a-cat just got to sell the F18.... I will miss the 20knt runs out in the ocean but think I will get over it when I don't have to spend 2 hrs rigging. What I want to know I guess is weather the tool is going to be worth the extra 4-5k over the object given I plan to upgrade once I get the feel for an a-cat?

Your size may have some bearing on that decision also. The Tool carries weight decently don't know anything about the object. All things being equal Scarecrow has the right idea.

#13 Robnacra

Robnacra

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 09:10 PM

Yeh defiantly got to loose some weight for the a-cat. Not going to stay at my current weight that's for sure lol.

#14 Robnacra

Robnacra

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 02:20 PM

Sailed a flyer 1 today... Tricky to get in the groove downwind compared to the f18. Amazing upwind performance. Def sold on the idea of an a-cat. Who wants a nacra infusion? Lol

#15 K38BOB

K38BOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,452 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:08 PM

Where do the SF Bay A-Cats hang out on the web? Any one a contact person/honcho/leader?
thanks!

#16 slap drone

slap drone

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Interests:The Culture

Posted 17 March 2012 - 10:35 AM

Your size may have some bearing on that decision also. The Tool carries weight decently don't know anything about the object. All things being equal Scarecrow has the right idea.

what is the weight range for a newbie A-cat person? have been told 80-85kg, am currently 111kg - maybe I should take on Robnacra's infusion!
SD

#17 Doug Lord

Doug Lord

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,757 posts
  • Interests:Foiler design and development,.........sailing fast,
    movable ballast systems and..... justice.

Posted 17 March 2012 - 12:33 PM

Does anyone know the diameter and wall thickness of a carbon, rear, A Class beam? Thanks....

#18 SimonN

SimonN

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,728 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 01:11 PM

Does anyone know the diameter and wall thickness of a carbon, rear, A Class beam? Thanks....

There is no standard size. Different builders and designs use different sized tube beams and some now have "square" beams. IIRC, my Flyer 1 has 90mm rear beam. C-Tech in NZ do a rear beam at 86mm. I believe that some have been as big as 100mm. And it's not just a matter of size. For isnatnce, stiffness can change a lot depending on whether you use high mudulus carbon.

#19 Doug Lord

Doug Lord

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,757 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 04:22 PM

There is no standard size. Different builders and designs use different sized tube beams and some now have "square" beams. IIRC, my Flyer 1 has 90mm rear beam. C-Tech in NZ do a rear beam at 86mm. I believe that some have been as big as 100mm. And it's not just a matter of size. For isnatnce, stiffness can change a lot depending on whether you use high mudulus carbon.

------------------
Thanks, Simon: do you know the wall thickness of your 90mm rear beam?

#20 SimonN

SimonN

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,728 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 08:28 PM

------------------
Thanks, Simon: do you know the wall thickness of your 90mm rear beam?

Sorry, I don't. It's got sealed ends and no way of measuring.

#21 Doug Lord

Doug Lord

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,757 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:11 PM

I found an A Class C-tech rear beam with these specs: 76mm(3") X 2.4 mm( .094") X 2200mm( 7.2')......

#22 Rawhide

Rawhide

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 10:01 PM

The object is quite wide in the stern so carries wt very well. Infant is perfectly suited to having a set of curved foils installed. If you are around 90kg that's what I would get to learn on. High volume makes it very easy to sail.

#23 nacrajon

nacrajon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 11:07 PM

I'm looking forward to sailing with the new A class boats in Cairns (Tinaroo) in may.Looks like the fleet has gone from two last year (one from Townsville) to about 5? this May (more with Robnacra). It's going to be interesting to see how the Tinaroo fellas make the transition from NACRA 4.5s, Inter 17 etc to the A's. My goal is to pick up a scalp with the Taipan.

#24 furling

furling

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:34 AM

Hey Robnacra, Lucas Mcdonald is making me a new A Cat trailer for my Scheurer atm so should be ready to bring back to Cairns in a few weeks or so, if you need a ride for an A Cat feel free to use it, will save me having to go to Brizzy and back...

#25 furling

furling

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:41 AM

nacrajon May Day in Cairns is going to be huge, but the transition for me to the A Cat is a slow and difficult learning curve, But i will try and keep all my hair....Posted Image

#26 SimonN

SimonN

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,728 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 01:40 PM

I found an A Class C-tech rear beam with these specs: 76mm(3") X 2.4 mm( .094") X 2200mm( 7.2')......

I cannot really comment on this save to say that when I got a quote from C-Tech recently they were specifying a 86mm ID and 2230mm long with a choice of high modulus carbon or regular.

#27 Doug Lord

Doug Lord

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,757 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 01:54 PM

This is where I found the other specs: http://www.c-tech.co...ss.html#A-Class Catamaran products

#28 Catnewbie

Catnewbie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • Interests:High Tech Catamarans

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:18 PM

Dough,

I think Bimare V1 crossbeam (2008/2009) were about 94mm OD with probably 3mm thickness and 3kg for the front-beam

The rear beam of the NIKITA is around 100mm OD but with hight modulus

Cheers

W

#29 Doug Lord

Doug Lord

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,757 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:20 PM

Dough,

I think Bimare V1 crossbeam (2008/2009) were about 94mm OD with probably 3mm thickness and 3kg for the front-beam

The rear beam of the NIKITA is around 100mm OD but with hight modulus

Cheers

W

=========
Thanks-any idea about an F16 carbon rear beam?

#30 Robnacra

Robnacra

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:15 PM

1332021671[/url]' post='3631324']

1331316974[/url]' post='3619304']

1331276680[/url]' post='3618724']

The object is quite wide in the stern so carries wt very well. Infant is perfectly suited to having a set of curved foils installed. If you are around 90kg that's what I would get to learn on. High volume makes it very easy to sail.

Thx, this is the sort of info was chasing when I started the topic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users