#1 jackdaw

jackdaw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts
  • Interests:The usual stuff.

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:45 PM

Our boat has plenty of the standard 12v automobile style power plugs. But most them are occupied with some USB converter... Just more bits of kit to keep track of. So, does anyone make a panel/wall mountable USB power jack? Ideally it would supply 2 amps of +5V. It would replace the jack below with a USB port (and a 12v-5v converter).

Posted Image

#2 New Morning

New Morning

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:53 PM

Has Google reached Minnesota?

http://www.amazon.co.....2v usb&page=1

#3 ShockValue

ShockValue

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 05:12 PM

Has reading comprehension reached French Polynesia? He's trying to get rid of exactly what you just linked,

#4 ShockValue

ShockValue

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 05:21 PM

http://store.mp3car....t_p/com-040.htm

This has the right shape, but isn't wired for 12v. ALthough if you were handy with electronics it wouldn't be that hard to wire it 12V and throw in some resistors to get it where you want.

#5 New Morning

New Morning

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 05:24 PM

I think he's trying to consolidate his USB power outlets / ports into one outlet and free up the other 12V outlets because he currently has only one USB / 12v outlet. So that link will give him multiple charging points at one 12v outlet.

I have a panel mounted 4port USB hub on my boat, but it is a hub, there is no 12v > 5v conversion. Worst case he could take one of the devices on that link, hack the power side to wire into his 12v system and then panel mount it. But why tear up some good joinery just to panel mount something that will be useless in 5-10 years when the next power source comes along?

There were 21,000+ hits on that search, just at Amazon. I'm pretty confident there is a solution to every 12v / USB need.

Vous comprenez?

#6 allen

allen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,485 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 05:41 PM

You can get bulkhead mount USB connectors from someone like Digikey and find a 12 volt to 5 volt power supply to power them all. You can get any current you want that way.

They also make USB power cigarette plugs that are flush and maybe just gluing these into your existing outlets would be the easiest.

Allen
L-36.com

#7 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,109 posts
  • Location:I'm in Sunny..-. Warm..& ..Dry San Diego . and your not :-)
  • Interests:Prime + 1 3/4

COUGARS COUGARS & More COUGARS

Posted 09 March 2012 - 05:56 PM

Our boat has plenty of the standard 12v automobile style power plugs. But most them are occupied with some USB converter... Just more bits of kit to keep track of. So, does anyone make a panel/wall mountable USB power jack? Ideally it would supply 2 amps of +5V. It would replace the jack below with a USB port (and a 12v-5v converter).

Posted Image

isn't 2A allot to draw from USB

are the cables up to that load ??

most things would fry if plugged into a USB packing 2A

what kind of device are you trying to power

You can get whatever Cig/lighter plug mount and jam one of these to convert it to what they don't make

But it's 1/4 of what you say you want it to put out

2A is a Bunch !

$8.00
Posted Image

Juice your gadgets without losing a cup holder
Posted ImageOne of the best things about technology is watching new devices shrink in size as time goes on. Remember how big cell phones were back in their infancy? They were practically bricks and could only barely make phone calls. Now we have phones that are handheld computers and cameras, and handheld computers and cameras that occasionally make phone calls when the stars align. *cough* ANYHOO, one such device that is finally shrinking to a manageable size is the car power adapter.

Say goodbye to the clunky chunks of plastic and metal that blocked the driver's side cup holder! The Tiny USB Car Power Adapter fits snugly into the cigarette lighter, jutting out just enough for you to be able to pull it out. But you won't want to do that! You'll be thrilled to have a charger that you can use to power up your phone or phone-like device, mp3 player, or other electronic wonders. You'll be even more thrilled that you can still fit your giant +32oz Vessel of Caffeine into your cup holder for those long drives. Perfection.

Posted Image
  • Tiny USB power adapter for your vehicle
  • Fits snugly into your cigarette lighter
  • Charge your phone or other USB devices in your car
  • Super-low profile: doesn't jut out and block cup holders
  • LED power indicator
  • Input: 12V - 24V
  • Output: 5V
  • Power Supply: 500mA
  • Dimensions: 1.75" (4.4cm)

Wanna chat about Tiny USB Car Power Adapter?

#8 shiny

shiny

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 06:26 PM

This looks like just the thing: linky.

Add any old 12v to 5v converter and you're away.

#9 IanA.

IanA.

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 06:35 PM

Its probably not exactly what you're looking for but if you need a new sound system then you could kill two birds with one stone as I believe you can charge off it. I dunno, seems like a cool product.

http://leftcoast.biz...ple_stereo.html

#10 Heriberto

Heriberto

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,061 posts
  • Interests:Mount Gay Sugarcane

Posted 09 March 2012 - 06:55 PM

http://www.bulgin.co...caneer_USB.html

#11 jackdaw

jackdaw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 07:11 PM

Hot topic. Oui, my Google-fu is pretty good. But the S/N ratio is very high on these keywords.

My plan is to exactly replace the chain of 12v plug and adapter with one clean install. Maybe 2 USB connectors on a 1 sqr inch panel. Dawoody remember we are talking 2 Amps of 5 Volt power,not twelve. And thats the standard output for ipad charging. Some of the plugs linked to are a step in the right direction. but still need a 12-5 volt converter. I can wire that up if need be, but would like an all in one solution.

At any given time we got two iphones, a ipad, and a HeroHD all wanting USB-based power. This could be a small block of USB plugs, and not a line a huge 12v auto plugs with adapters plugged into each. My Davis Ultralight is the only actual device I have that wants that cig plag.

#12 New Morning

New Morning

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 07:39 PM

I think the panel mount and 12v are an oxymoron from the manufacturer's standpoint. They assume if you've got 12v, you've got a cig lighter.

This product will give you the four outlets for your four devices, and you'll have have the cig lighter: http://www.amazon.co...31321841&sr=1-3

#13 jackdaw

jackdaw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 07:52 PM

I think the panel mount and 12v are an oxymoron from the manufacturer's standpoint. They assume if you've got 12v, you've got a cig lighter.

This product will give you the four outlets for your four devices, and you'll have have the cig lighter: http://www.amazon.co...31321841&sr=1-3

That device you link to is pretty close for a short term fix.

But I think you are wrong about the 12V and USB power aspect. Try and find a new car without a USB jack in it. They know that the vast majority of mobile devices now are USB powered. Now thats not to say that there is not a place for 12V cig lighters, but I think you can expect to see USB power plugins (both as OE and AM) for marine use very quickly. Those little plugs are a total stop-gap solution.

#14 New Morning

New Morning

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:26 PM

But I think you are wrong about the 12V and USB power aspect. Try and find a new car without a USB jack in it. They know that the vast majority of mobile devices now are USB powered. Now thats not to say that there is not a place for 12V cig lighters, but I think you can expect to see USB power plugins (both as OE and AM) for marine use very quickly. Those little plugs are a total stop-gap solution.

I completely agree that the cig lighter outlets are a crappy 12v outlet. I've had mil-spec 12v outlets on my last two boats for the deck outlets, but the cig lighter outlets are still the most practical below decks.

My point about cutting up your joinery is that 10 years ago nobody used USB for power, and neither will they 10 years from now. USB as a data connection is going to be a "legacy" connection within 3-4 years, replaced by wireless or faster wired connections, just like 9 pin serial ports had their day and are now gone. We're already using wireless to transfer data to the i-devices, who needs a all the serial connection stuff when all you want is a little juice? In another 4-5 years we'll see a different way to charge all of these device (most of which have a life cycle of only 3-4 years). So why cut up your joinery today for something that won't last as long as your boat? If you've got a replaceable panel that's expendable (I have formica at my nav station) then no worries, cut away and replace the whole panel in a few years.

#15 jackdaw

jackdaw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:47 PM

I completely agree that the cig lighter outlets are a crappy 12v outlet. I've had mil-spec 12v outlets on my last two boats for the deck outlets, but the cig lighter outlets are still the most practical below decks.

My point about cutting up your joinery is that 10 years ago nobody used USB for power, and neither will they 10 years from now. USB as a data connection is going to be a "legacy" connection within 3-4 years, replaced by wireless or faster wired connections, just like 9 pin serial ports had their day and are now gone. We're already using wireless to transfer data to the i-devices, who needs a all the serial connection stuff when all you want is a little juice? In another 4-5 years we'll see a different way to charge all of these device (most of which have a life cycle of only 3-4 years). So why cut up your joinery today for something that won't last as long as your boat? If you've got a replaceable panel that's expendable (I have formica at my nav station) then no worries, cut away and replace the whole panel in a few years.

Interesting points. I agree that the power and data interconnects between devices is a moving target. But I think USB as a connection will be around for a while. 5 volts is preferred voltage for most devices, and because the automotive market has embraced it, it basically grants it at least a 10 year lifespan... as all automotive OEMs and T1 suppliers assume that. Good discussion. And you are right, I'm never shy when it come to cutting holes in boats!

#16 Heriberto

Heriberto

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,061 posts
  • Interests:Mount Gay Sugarcane

Posted 09 March 2012 - 11:03 PM

For all its faults, USB is going to be around for a long time as both connection and power port. All cell phones are going to it as a standard. There are still serial ports around too, and how many years have we had the cigarette lighter? Nobody even uses it for that anymore!

#17 allen

allen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,485 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 04:07 AM

This http://www.buy.com/p.../221004519.html and maybe something like this http://www.newark.co...able Assemblies

Allen

#18 Willy T

Willy T

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • Interests:girls

Posted 10 March 2012 - 10:31 PM

I think if i understand it right, he's just looking to charge a ton of usb items off one port not the 6 he's using now. Find a usb hub with an external power connector. Then you'll have 7 or so usb ports to charge from.

Canadian tire carries a number of similar solutions. Couldnt tell you the brand off the toP of my head. And being in minnesota, the store does fuck all too.

#19 allen

allen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,485 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 03:51 PM

I think if i understand it right, he's just looking to charge a ton of usb items off one port not the 6 he's using now. Find a usb hub with an external power connector. Then you'll have 7 or so usb ports to charge from.

sounds like a good solution but a lot of those USB hubs will not put out enough power to change a phone for example. At least not the ones I bought. Very frustrating btw.

#20 jackdaw

jackdaw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 04:18 PM

Canadian tire carries a number of similar solutions. Couldnt tell you the brand off the toP of my head. And being in minnesota, the store does fuck all too.

That's not a bad temporary solution. You would have to find one that came with a 120AC to 12DC converter and cut off the converter and just use the plug. As Alan notes the question of current to each devices comes up.

#21 Overbored

Overbored

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Flying, Skiing

Posted 11 March 2012 - 05:02 PM

Panel Tapp second item on the page
http://www.3brpowers...oducts_TAPP.htm
http://www.cyclenutz.com/All-Weather-USB-Panel-Mount-Kit_p_636.html

#22 kgw

kgw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 06:02 PM

Most "smart" phones need a minimum of 1 amp @ 5v, with tablets needing 2 amps @ 5v. Not too much commercially available, other than the oem adapters.

Looks like the TAPP mentioned above will do the 1 amp stuff.

#23 Overbored

Overbored

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Flying, Skiing

Posted 11 March 2012 - 07:35 PM

here's a 2 amp power supply 12v to 5v 2 amps
http://www.daqstuff....ower_supply.htm

connector panel mount
http://search.digike...1355-ND/2184935

#24 VALIS

VALIS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 07:44 PM

There are some 2A USB car-charger adaptors. Here's one:

Posted Image
Amazon.com

The total available current is 2A, so you can use one jack for a high-current load, and the other for a low-current one. I've not used this particular device, but have used similar ones. Yes, the cigarette lighter format is a poor one, but sometimes you have to deal with the real world. Or, go to a lot of trouble.

#25 kgw

kgw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 07:56 PM

That is good for iPads, but Apple uses a circuit that is liable to trip up the unwary...I've got a Touchpad and the Apple chargers would not charge it. Fortunately, a Scottish fellow took one apart and discovered that by soldering in a resistor between two of the lines that led to the jack, it would now charge the Touchpad! Sold several of the devices to Touchpad aficionados.

#26 Willy T

Willy T

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:31 PM

Most "smart" phones need a minimum of 1 amp @ 5v, with tablets needing 2 amps @ 5v. Not too much commercially available, other than the oem adapters.

hrm, i believe USB hubs are limited to 500ma. 2A at 5 volts! holy!

#27 Rented Mule

Rented Mule

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:33 PM

To get the iPad to charge effectively, you need 2.1A. It will charge at lower amperage, but usually only while sleeping and the charging icon won't show up.

#28 diggler

diggler

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:35 PM

http://www.tallonsys...ite_socket_usb/

Only off the shelf one I've seen. Not just usb though, and not very cheap, unfortunately.

#29 kgw

kgw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 12:19 AM

My bad, 2.1amp it is.

To get the iPad to charge effectively, you need 2.1A. It will charge at lower amperage, but usually only while sleeping and the charging icon won't show up.

#30 nixon

nixon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:40 AM

We use a consumer-grade 6 port powered USB hub in the navstation. It has its own, hard-wired 12volt feed. It is usually full (!), but it will charge up devices OK. Sometimes see strangeness with iDevices (as mentioned above). Not sure on the amp output.

#31 Willy T

Willy T

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 03:07 PM

this is what i was talking about CT having. It's almost the same except it is hard wired not a plug in as this one is.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item4ab4a4ad2f

combine that with 2 of the cigarette usb plugs and now you've got 6! they have a sticky pad on the underside of it.

I think they're $15 Cdn if you want one pm me and i can send it to you.

edit: just stumbled upon this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DigiPower-AC-Adapter-10-W-5-V-DC-2-10-A-For-iPad-iPod-iPhone-USB-Device-/260985095298?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cc3ec8482

if you can find a 12v to 5 converter, you should be good to go

#32 soling2003

soling2003

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,166 posts
  • Interests:sailing, of course, retired now. Diving, skiing, etc.

Posted 01 April 2012 - 08:28 AM

Like willy t said. Just cut off the cig plug and Baedeker that in. That is what I do on boats and RVs. Amazon has lots to choose from.

#33 bob d

bob d

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:46 AM

Its probably not exactly what you're looking for but if you need a new sound system then you could kill two birds with one stone as I believe you can charge off it. I dunno, seems like a cool product.

http://leftcoast.biz/iWeb/Left_Coast/Simple_stereo.html

Yes, you can charge off it. I picked one up last fall. Really sweet, no moving parts. I keep several of the iPod-to-USB cables around 'cause they are always getting lost. monoprice has them for ~$5.00. m/m 3.5mm cables too.

#34 Richard N

Richard N

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:36 AM

Yes, you can charge off it. I picked one up last fall. Really sweet, no moving parts. I keep several of the iPod-to-USB cables around 'cause they are always getting lost. monoprice has them for ~$5.00. m/m 3.5mm cables too.

You can pick up a radio with ipod integration (that charges it too) and a wired remote for the cockpit for under $100 online. I can't see spending that much for a unitasker.

#35 Willy T

Willy T

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:41 PM

You can pick up a radio with ipod integration (that charges it too) and a wired remote for the cockpit for under $100 online. I can't see spending that much for a unitasker.

decent brand? Link?

#36 elical

elical

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:electronics, auto/marine electrical

Posted 06 October 2012 - 04:37 AM

Posted Image

Your panel cutout may not fit but this is what you want if you want one USB only. Two types available, one USB only (APUSBE) or one USB and 3.5mm MP3 input (APUSBE). The 12V/5V conversion is done onboard. It is automotive and not marine, though if you are using a USB hub, that may not be marine or waterproof either. Can't tell you panel cutout size....

http://www.aerpro.co...hp?pcode=APUSBE

http://www.aerpro.co...?pcode=APUSB35E

E

#37 nyker

nyker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Interests:sailing, flying

Posted 06 October 2012 - 07:36 PM

decent brand? Link?

I like the jensen MS30 and will probably install it in my boat: http://www.rockthebo...html/62087.html
Don't know about the sound quality, but it's light, small and has all the features that I want.
Anyone got any experience with it?

#38 deckersr

deckersr

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:17 PM

How about something like this? Hard wired, waterproof, dedicated USB power from your 12v source.

http://www.futurevisionhid.com/2a-usb-power-supply.html

Posted Image

#39 jackdaw

jackdaw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:14 PM

How about something like this? Hard wired, waterproof, dedicated USB power from your 12v source.

http://www.futurevisionhid.com/2a-usb-power-supply.html

Posted Image

Yea. That's pretty much it. Great find.

#40 Maxion

Maxion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:24 AM

The one linked above has a 5v 2A output, but is that per port or in total? IMO it's most likely 1A per port...

I've found this myself, though it's only 5v 1A...

#41 JaredC

JaredC

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:55 PM

http://www.futurevis...wer-supply.html

Nice!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users