#2 dolphinmaster

dolphinmaster

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:19 PM

Check out our latest video

Nice Tom, is this vid going out on the intergalactic social sites and news agencies?

Keep groove-alating and "they" will come to your door with cash in their hand :)

#3 Sin Nombre

Sin Nombre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Interests:Yachting

Posted 10 March 2012 - 03:50 PM

Nice job Andrew.

#4 PurpleOnion

PurpleOnion

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 01:06 AM

Good stuff.
Has me playing the lottery and watching bad heist movies to try and igure out a way to get enough cash for one.

#5 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,229 posts
  • Interests:SA is DEAD

Posted 11 March 2012 - 03:59 AM

I'd take one of these WAY before I'd get a 70 something from that other boat maker ha ha...

Nice work looks great!

#6 PurpleOnion

PurpleOnion

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 11:11 AM

I'd take one of these WAY before I'd get a 70 something from that other boat maker ha ha...

Nice work looks great!

Absolutely. Whenever I hit the lottery or pull off my bank heist my hard won/stolen money is coming this way.

#7 Jerryd

Jerryd

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:50 AM

Nice work looks great!

Absolutely. Whenever I hit the lottery or pull off my bank heist my hard won/stolen money is coming this way.

I'm still looking for a used one, lottery win or not!

#8 Sin Nombre

Sin Nombre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 04:13 PM

Nice work looks great!

Have you tried contacting Flying Tiger Boats? We have one sitting on a trailer right outside the office.... tom@flyingtigerboats.com

#9 Sin Nombre

Sin Nombre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 06:37 PM

Its "used" 619-889-9568

Attached Files

#10 Jerryd

Jerryd

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:20 PM

Nice work looks great!

Have you tried contacting Flying Tiger Boats? We have one sitting on a trailer right outside the office.... tom@flyingtigerboats.com

I have, but I got gave up leaving messages. I'll call again today.

#11 NextExit

NextExit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:29 PM

I had the opportunity to demo sail the FT 7.5 a couple of days ago and I came away impressed. Both Tom and his son Keenan (who took us out) were very hospitable. It feels like a significantly bigger boat than a Melges 24 and the build quality looked good/solid to me. The square head main and the kite at 800 sq ft are huge. We only had about 8 knots true so no opportunity to get it on a plane but the boat really went uphill and no extreme hiking like the M24. Tom has said it's a boat you could sail in your 60's and I agree.

The cockpit is massive and it has a locker in the cockpit sole to take the OB or 25 flats of beer on lots of ice, seriously.

#12 Mr. Starbuck

Mr. Starbuck

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 29 April 2012 - 04:04 AM

nice video and good sound track. That square main looks hot.

#13 Jerryd

Jerryd

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:38 AM

I had the opportunity to demo sail the FT 7.5 a couple of days ago and I came away impressed. Both Tom and his son Keenan (who took us out) were very hospitable. It feels like a significantly bigger boat than a Melges 24 and the build quality looked good/solid to me. The square head main and the kite at 800 sq ft are huge. We only had about 8 knots true so no opportunity to get it on a plane but the boat really went uphill and no extreme hiking like the M24. Tom has said it's a boat you could sail in your 60's and I agree.

The cockpit is massive and it has a locker in the cockpit sole to take the OB or 25 flats of beer on lots of ice, seriously.

I like the boat a lot. But, at $40K for a used boat and a PHRF rating that gives time to a Melges 24, makes it a tough decision!

#14 ACP

ACP

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:08 PM

I like the boat a lot. But, at $40K for a used boat and a PHRF rating that gives time to a Melges 24, makes it a tough decision!

Glad you like the boat.

I have no idea what the used boats are going for but $40K doesn't seem too far off. As far as I know that boat has been on the trailer for a year and has limited demo use before that. It is basically a new boat at used boat prices. I usually consider 15% depreciation for the first year, which should put you close.

The rating has not yet settled in. After our first year of racing, our rating was adjusted, and we are moving in the right direction. We now have another year of data that I will put together for another review. There aren't many similar boats racing in the area, which has made it difficult to really get a feeling of what the final rating should be.

Message me if you have questions about the boat - happy to discuss

#15 dolphinmaster

dolphinmaster

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:45 PM

C'mon Jerry, you can do it Man, feel the breeze and speed,

We need to see one of these beauts here on the east coast to get the pump primed. The timing I think is right to draw the folks who will want more than a souped up J22 for their fun in the sun.

Rick

#16 Jerryd

Jerryd

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:59 AM

C'mon Jerry, you can do it Man, feel the breeze and speed,

We need to see one of these beauts here on the east coast to get the pump primed. The timing I think is right to draw the folks who will want more than a souped up J22 for their fun in the sun.

Rick

Hey Rick, sounds like a plan! But if I have to give time to a Melges 24 or even a local Viper, its a problem ;) Also, as you know, here on the East Coast, a 6' draft can be a real problems in certain areas!

If you mean by a "souped up J-22" a J-70, its not so bad. I was racing at CRW a couple of weeks ago and got a chance to demo it. It was light winds, but the boat did quite well. At $40K out the door with a trailer and sails, its a pretty good value. Besides not having to spend another $3500 to ship it here.

Having said that, I do still find the FT 7.5 intriguing!

#17 GybeSetŪ

GybeSetŪ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,219 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:16 PM

really a different sized choice too, as well as robust to harder conditions

#18 ACP

ACP

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 05:26 AM

Hey Rick, sounds like a plan! But if I have to give time to a Melges 24 or even a local Viper, its a problem ;) Also, as you know, here on the East Coast, a 6' draft can be a real problems in certain areas!

If you mean by a "souped up J-22" a J-70, its not so bad. I was racing at CRW a couple of weeks ago and got a chance to demo it. It was light winds, but the boat did quite well. At $40K out the door with a trailer and sails, its a pretty good value. Besides not having to spend another $3500 to ship it here.

Is a new J70 out-the-door really going to be $40K? That seems hard to believe. J-boats usually come in at the higher end. It is either way less boat, or I suspect that number is low.

I wouldn't worry about the PHRF rating too much. Part of owning a new design is having something different, working on getting the correct rating, figuring out how to sail the boat, helping grow the class, etc ... Your local PHRF will look at the specs and rate it somewhere close to a M24 in your area, or they will start you at our current rating. Then you can race for a while and go back and have it adjusted if it comes out unfair. We raced on the line with the Vipers in the first Anarchy regatta and didn't have too much trouble even at our current rating. Being the bigger boat is a huge advantage - I wouldn't worry too much about the Vipers in PHRF

#19 Pointy End

Pointy End

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:43 PM

"Also, as you know, here on the East Coast, a 6' draft can be a real problems in certain areas!"

ARE there any FT 7.5's on the East / Gulf Coast??

#20 Jerryd

Jerryd

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 04:30 PM

Is a new J70 out-the-door really going to be $40K? That seems hard to believe. J-boats usually come in at the higher end. It is either way less boat, or I suspect that number is low.

I wouldn't worry about the PHRF rating too much. Part of owning a new design is having something different, working on getting the correct rating, figuring out how to sail the boat, helping grow the class, etc ... Your local PHRF will look at the specs and rate it somewhere close to a M24 in your area, or they will start you at our current rating. Then you can race for a while and go back and have it adjusted if it comes out unfair. We raced on the line with the Vipers in the first Anarchy regatta and didn't have too much trouble even at our current rating. Being the bigger boat is a huge advantage - I wouldn't worry too much about the Vipers in PHRF

Sorry, actually $44,995 complete.

Sure, its probably less boat. But it would be brand new and well supported by the manufacturer and all the after market distributors that will jump in for some of the business. If its anything like the J-80, it will probably hold its resale value for some time. In this economy all those things are good.

#21 dolphinmaster

dolphinmaster

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:21 AM

You'd have to be sailing in a pretty tough phrf fleet for the lower numbers to be a challenge with this thing. The realistic numbers will only help at the bigger phrf events.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users