#1 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,563 posts
  • Interests:SWMBO

Posted 10 March 2012 - 04:54 PM

Valis and I plan to meet on 20 meters SSB at noon pacific standard time today for a low key attempt to have a Cruising Anarchy SSB QSO.

We will start at 14.250 MHz and then shift up in frequency if we encounter any QRM.

I am in the Seattle area and he is in San Francisco.

We would welcome any other Anarchists to join in.

His call WB6CXC

Cheers!

Kim - K7IM

#2 PMH

PMH

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 05:45 PM

I will do everything I can to take part....just don't know if I can get to the boat in time. Anyway it's Peter on Scaramouche (Paul knows me from the PacCup) and I'm located in Vancouver BC.

#3 sailSAK

sailSAK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 07:53 PM

Homemade dipole is rigged up in the backyard and tuned for 20. I'll be there.

#4 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,563 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 08:09 PM

I hear you in there Paul, but very very faint.

I will stand by here on 14.250 for a while and see if the conditions change.

Otherwise we can try 40 or somewhere else?

Edit: Guess the conditions were not right for a north south 20 meter path today, maybe we should try another band?

#5 sailSAK

sailSAK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 08:28 PM

I can hear LA but guessing they are probably kW stations. Couldn't hear you guys at all.

#6 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,563 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 08:38 PM

I can hear LA but guessing they are probably kW stations. Couldn't hear you guys at all.

Yes, I hear Southern Cal great, but not Northern Cal.

#7 Dr. Electron

Dr. Electron

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Interests:cruising, engineering, mathematics

Posted 10 March 2012 - 08:56 PM

Paul,

the South Americans and Floridians were booming in, but nothing from San Francisco. I noticed that 15-meters tends to work well for California contacts from the PNW during the day.
the 18Mhz band or 40-meters might also be a fine choice for the daytime hours. bodacious signals on 40-meters abound at night from your location.

I received an email to join the QSO and would be pleased to help if possible (Transpac), though I now live in Paris, France for half the year.

I was able to prevent my LED's from blinking however ... Posted Image

73's

NF7Z

#8 VALIS

VALIS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 09:13 PM

No joy here (as the old nerds say), although I did work a guy in Fairbanks on 14.255. I was calling and listening on 250 and 255 for about a half hour. The band is definitely quiet --let's blame it on the solar activity.

I'm willing to try again this evening (8:00PM - 11:00PM PDT) on 20 and 40, but with my 20M dipole over half my power is going up in heat when I operate on anything but 20M. It sometimes works though. Mar 29 - Apr 1 I will be in Friday Harbor, and plan to string up an off-center feed dipole for 80 / 40 / 20 / 10M. It's going to be pointing east/west, but the nulls off the ends are pretty shallow. It would be fun to check into a SA Net from there. If anyone wants to suggest a time and frequency I can be there. I can be monitoring this CA thread (which I should have been doing today).

#9 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,563 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 10:13 PM

No joy here (as the old nerds say), although I did work a guy in Fairbanks on 14.255. I was calling and listening on 250 and 255 for about a half hour. The band is definitely quiet --let's blame it on the solar activity.

I'm willing to try again this evening (8:00PM - 11:00PM PDT) on 20 and 40, but with my 20M dipole over half my power is going up in heat when I operate on anything but 20M. It sometimes works though. Mar 29 - Apr 1 I will be in Friday Harbor, and plan to string up an off-center feed dipole for 80 / 40 / 20 / 10M. It's going to be pointing east/west, but the nulls off the ends are pretty shallow. It would be fun to check into a SA Net from there. If anyone wants to suggest a time and frequency I can be there. I can be monitoring this CA thread (which I should have been doing today).

Let's try 14.250 again at 8 pm PST.

#10 VALIS

VALIS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 10:18 PM

Let's try 14.250 again at 8 pm PST.

Wilco. (I've always wanted to say that!)

#11 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,286 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 10:51 PM

And you all know who NF7Z is, right?

The Tillertard!

I very much doubt he received an email inviting his presence. Not unless BJ is fucking with us.

#12 kent_island_sailor

kent_island_sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,248 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 12:03 AM

From who?

I received an email to join the QSO and would be pleased to help if possible (Transpac), though I now live in Paris, France for half the year.

73's

NF7Z

#13 VALIS

VALIS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 12:53 AM

The email wasn't from me, but on the Cruising Anarchy Ham Net everyone starts with a clean slate.

Kumbaya,
Paul / VALIS / wb6cxc

#14 Dr. Electron

Dr. Electron

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 01:42 AM

20-meters is dead in the evenings up here, but I will listen and say hello if conditions permit.

Attached File  nf7z.jpg   403.5K   41 downloads

#15 VALIS

VALIS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 01:49 AM

20M has been poor in the evening here as well, but every now and then someone pops up. I haven't spent any time figuring out the pattern. I tried to listen in to the Pacific Seafarer's Net the other night (14.310 @ 0300Z) , but forgot that it wasn't yet PDT. Oops.

Still, the band's been quiet. Too quiet...

#16 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,563 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 04:38 AM

1331430577[/url]' post='3621056']
20M has been poor in the evening here as well, but every now and then someone pops up. I haven't spent any time figuring out the pattern. I tried to listen in to the Pacific Seafarer's Net the other night (14.310 @ 0300Z) , but forgot that it wasn't yet PDT. Oops.

Still, the band's been quiet. Too quiet...

guess it is a no go as i heard nothing
i even called in cw but heard nothing.

#17 VALIS

VALIS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 04:58 AM

I was calling and listening for 15 minutes, with no luck. Even my CQs went unanswered. The band was virtually dead.

Some other time, OK?

#18 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,563 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 05:09 AM

I was calling and listening for 15 minutes, with no luck. Even my CQs went unanswered. The band was virtually dead.

Some other time, OK?

sure, we don't give up too easily.

we will try again sometime.

#19 VALIS

VALIS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 07:44 AM

Some other time, OK?

sure, we don't give up too easily.

we will try again sometime.

We hams are totally steampunk. Incredibly cool. Sorry, everyone else!

#20 kent_island_sailor

kent_island_sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,248 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 02:48 PM

OK - I'm game for that.

The email wasn't from me, but on the Cruising Anarchy Ham Net everyone starts with a clean slate.

Kumbaya,
Paul / VALIS / wb6cxc

#21 kent_island_sailor

kent_island_sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,248 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 02:52 PM

Anyone else set up for PSK-31? That really gets through when voice is dead.
Anyone want to try late night 40 meters?

#22 sailSAK

sailSAK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 04:18 PM

Tech question: Anyone here play with 'portable' longwire setups? I have 500ft of 16ga MTW wire and a balun, and forest all around me. Its going to have to run close to the ground and will be in the trees. Best way to get into the 40's or 80's that I can figure right now.

#23 kent_island_sailor

kent_island_sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,248 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 04:36 PM

http://en.wikipedia....cidence_Skywave

This is more or less what you'll get with a low altitude antenna.

Tech question: Anyone here play with 'portable' longwire setups? I have 500ft of 16ga MTW wire and a balun, and forest all around me. Its going to have to run close to the ground and will be in the trees. Best way to get into the 40's or 80's that I can figure right now.

#24 VALIS

VALIS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 06:27 PM

The long end-fed low altitude antenna is going to be hit and miss. You would like a good ground (some radials would be nice), but a copper rod or metal water pipe will do. An flexible antenna tuner is probably needed. For a true long-wire (several wavelengths) the radiation pattern will tend to be off the ends. As the antenna becomes electrically shorter, the pattern will become more dipole-like (off the sides). You're going to have some ground loss.

Bottom line, put up whatever you can, and try to match it to your rig. Something will get out, and you will make some contacts.

As for PSK31, I haven't yet tried it. I recently loaded the WINMOR package and sent / received Winlink email. And then there's PSKmail. These all look like interesting alternatives to the expensive Pactor modem. On VALIS I'm using Sailmail and Winlink, and have the Pactor-3 modem (but primarily use the satphone for email). At home I'm going to be playing with the alternatives. I'm really quite the ADD case, so once I get something working I quickly wander off and start something else.

#25 Timo42

Timo42

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,799 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 01:42 PM

Anyone else set up for PSK-31? That really gets through when voice is dead.
Anyone want to try late night 40 meters?

Deja-vu all over again, PSK-31 and our friend on the same thread. :rolleyes: This is where I came in. :blink: Ah well live and let live.

A little more notice next time and I'll be on the air in SoCal, voice... or PSK-31, if I don't get stomped on. :P

#26 B.J. Porter

B.J. Porter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,891 posts
  • Interests:Hallberg-Rassy 53 "Evenstar"

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:22 PM

Kumbaya,
Paul / VALIS / wb6cxc

Ya think? The psychotic dickhead is back for one post and he's already slamming me? I've no interest in talking to him.

#27 B.J. Porter

B.J. Porter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,891 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:29 PM

Valis and I plan to meet on 20 meters SSB at noon pacific standard time today for a low key attempt to have a Cruising Anarchy SSB QSO.

We will start at 14.250 MHz and then shift up in frequency if we encounter any QRM.

I am in the Seattle area and he is in San Francisco.

We would welcome any other Anarchists to join in.

His call WB6CXC

Cheers!

Kim - K7IM

Unfortunate timing, I'm on my way back from a weekend in Cincinnati saying 'bye to old friends, the leaving tomorrow to spend the next two weeks or so schlepping the few things we are keeping to their final resting places between RI & FL.

I won't be able to try this until probably 3/26 or so...but if we're still trying then I'm in.

#28 Dr. Electron

Dr. Electron

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:40 PM

I see no reason to derail the thread.

I have not mentioned B.J. Porter and I respect his decision to ignore me.

NF7Z

#29 sailSAK

sailSAK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:27 AM

Conditions pretty good right now Alaska to Napa. Anyone on 20m tonight?

#30 Whippet

Whippet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:Annoying the hell out of DT<br />

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:39 AM

1331412969[/url]' post='3620738']
Paul,

the South Americans and Floridians were booming in, but nothing from San Francisco. I noticed that 15-meters tends to work well for California contacts from the PNW during the day.
the 18Mhz band or 40-meters might also be a fine choice for the daytime hours. bodacious signals on 40-meters abound at night from your location.

I was able to prevent my LED's from blinking however ... Posted Image

73's

NF7Z

Ahhh... Found you you piece of shit. I recognized your stench all the way over here.. Paris my ass. Did you sail there on that Bodacious POS C 27?
Ass.

#31 B.J. Porter

B.J. Porter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,891 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 07:05 PM

So...I'm back.

When are we trying this again?

#32 VALIS

VALIS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:11 AM

How about between now and midnight tonight (Monday), or tomorrow before noon, or tomorrow night? I've still just got that 20M dipole, aiming north and south of San Francisco.

Pick a time and frequency and I can give it a try.
-Paul / wb6cxc

#33 B.J. Porter

B.J. Porter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,891 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:13 AM

How about between now and midnight tonight (Monday), or tomorrow before noon, or tomorrow night? I've still just got that 20M dipole, aiming north and south of San Francisco.

-Paul / wb6cxc

Tomorrow before noon is good. I'm rather East of SF.

#34 VALIS

VALIS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:29 AM

-Paul / wb6cxc

Yep, RI isn't exactly in my direct line of fire. However, the antenna is pretty low and one end is very close to a metal roof, so the pattern is hardly the classical free-space dipole torus, and I can work people to the east. I suppose the pattern is omnidirectionally poor, but it works after a fashion.

How about 10:00 AM PDT on 14.250? I will be logged into CA so we can make adjustments as needed. If you prefer a different time, just say so. I'm pretty flexible tomorrow.

#35 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,563 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:40 AM

1332808186[/url]' post='3644870']

1332807214[/url]' post='3644837']

1332807118[/url]' post='3644834']

-Paul / wb6cxc

Yep, RI isn't exactly in my direct line of fire. However, the antenna is pretty low and one end is very close to a metal roof, so the pattern is hardly the classical free-space dipole torus, and I can work people to the east. I suppose the pattern is omnidirectionally poor, but it works after a fashion.

How about 10:00 AM PDT on 14.250? I will be logged into CA so we can make adjustments as needed. If you prefer a different time, just say so. I'm pretty flexible tomorrow.

I will be at work, but will watch CA to see how you guys fair.....Kim - K7IM

#36 B.J. Porter

B.J. Porter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,891 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 01:42 AM

-Paul / wb6cxc

That's 1300 EST / 1700 UTC? I'll be there, hopefully my 150 Watts through a piece of GTO wire can hit you...

#37 VALIS

VALIS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:01 AM

That's 1300 EST / 1700 UTC? I'll be there, hopefully my 150 Watts through a piece of GTO wire can hit you...

Yes, 1000 PDT = 1700UTC.

Isn't RI on EDT now?

#38 B.J. Porter

B.J. Porter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,891 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:07 AM

Yes, 1000 PDT = 1700UTC.

Isn't RI on EDT now?

Probably is, but that does not mean I will remember to correctly notate that.

#39 B.J. Porter

B.J. Porter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,891 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:02 PM

Standing by 14.250

Hear one faint voice

#40 VALIS

VALIS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:11 PM

I'm late (it's now 10:11). Listen for me at 10:15
-Paul

#41 B.J. Porter

B.J. Porter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,891 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:20 PM

-Paul

Not hearing anything distinct but I think there are some people on the channel as I can hear inaudible voices.

#42 VALIS

VALIS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:22 PM

I hear some low-level voices, but nothing I can make out. Are you transmitting? 14.250

#43 Dr. Electron

Dr. Electron

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:23 PM

Paul,

nothing here in Roche Harbor. the skip is long and Eastern Europe is quite strong.

I can hear several DX nets on 14.250 so you might be better served somewhat lower next time.

15 meters was shorter with several strong midwest stations.

daniel

#44 B.J. Porter

B.J. Porter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,891 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:26 PM

Tried a couple of calls just now

#45 VALIS

VALIS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:27 PM

Thanks Daniel. the background traffic is extremely weak and unreadable here (on .250) , but that doesn't mean I'm not annoying them...

#46 B.J. Porter

B.J. Porter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,891 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:28 PM

Picka new frequency?

#47 B.J. Porter

B.J. Porter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,891 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:30 PM

I hear some low-level voices, but nothing I can make out. Are you transmitting? 14.250

Very similar to what I am hearing

#48 VALIS

VALIS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:34 PM

By the end of the week, I should have a multi-band dipole strung up (80, 40, 20, 10), so perhaps we can try then at a better time / freq? I will look at the propagation forecasts.

#49 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,563 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:36 PM

-Paul

Not hearing anything distinct but I think there are some people on the channel as I can hear inaudible voices.

Looks like we have to go to CW or pick a different band/time.

I am at work, so I am useless for this right now. No station here.

#50 B.J. Porter

B.J. Porter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,891 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:38 PM

By the end of the week, I should have a multi-band dipole strung up (80, 40, 20, 10), so perhaps we can try then at a better time / freq? I will look at the propagation forecasts.

Ok. I do hear people on other frequencies but I'm not sure whee they are from.

20m is supposed to be good now.

#51 VALIS

VALIS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:39 PM

Picka new frequency?

Pick one you like and I will be there. I can even try 40M (no idea if that will work, but I hear a little traffic). By antenna sux, but the tuner matches it and I've made *some* contacts there.

Let me know, I've got time to mess around with this.

#52 B.J. Porter

B.J. Porter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,891 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:45 PM

-Paul

Looks like we have to go to CW or pick a different band/time.

I am at work, so I am useless for this right now. No station here.

I have neither equipment or skill to do CW.

We'll try some other time. Nights are tough since the radio is o the boat.

#53 VALIS

VALIS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:47 PM

I just worked a guy in Alabama on 14.250, so it's probably the band, not us.

#54 B.J. Porter

B.J. Porter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,891 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:49 PM

Picka new frequency?

Pick one you like and I will be there. I can even try 40M (no idea if that will work, but I hear a little traffic). By antenna sux, but the tuner matches it and I've made *some* contacts there.

Let me know, I've got time to mess around with this.

Check your pm

#55 B.J. Porter

B.J. Porter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,891 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:51 PM

I just worked a guy in Alabama on 14.250, so it's probably the band, not us.

There's some guy from Croatia on 14.205 that sounds like he's sitting next to me.

#56 VALIS

VALIS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:46 AM

I am now in the San Juan Islands (Washington State), and have my 100W ham rig connected to a 80/40/20/10 Meter dipole (aiming east/west). Give me a shout if you want to try a contact. Mornings and evenings are best, but afternoons may be possible, depending on what chores I have to do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users