• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Guitar

Guitar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,301 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, gold mining, meteorite hunting.

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:08 PM

Don't know about the rest of you but I have been hit with this scam.
Rick

from the Cartoon Barry Blog

Let me start off this rant by saying I am being careful on how I word this post, because Dun & Bradstreet is a very respected company that has been in business since 1841. That being said, I feel as if one of their practices is a downright scam - yes, I said it, a SCAM. D&B is probably most well known for their D-U-N-S numbers. Wikipedia has a nice explanation of the DUNS number, but basically it is a number assigned to business entities. It was introduced by D&B in 1963 to support D&B's credit reporting practice, instead of using a business's tax ID number, since some businesses file under social security numbers, i.e. sole proprietorships.

When I formed my business, I eventually registered myself with D&B and received a DUNS number. On very limited occasions, I am asked by vendors and clients for my DUNS number. It is so limited that I always have to go to the D&B web site and look it up, and I am the type of person that remembers numbers 835634465 after looking at them once.

Yesterday, I received a phone call from one of the over 5,000 or so people who work at D&B. They told me that recently two different companies asked for a credit report on my company. They asked me if I was aware. I told them, I do know two companies recently asked me to provide my DUNS number to them.

She then said, are you aware your credit rating with us [D&B] was lowered from our highest score of a 1 to a 2. I said, no, I wasn't aware of that.

The way she was talking was very 'salesly' at this point. So I stopped her and said, "what do I have to buy from you?"

She said that they offer a product named "DNBi SelfMonitor" for $449.00. If I pay that, my credit score would go back to 1.

Posted Image

I got angry. I said, my company has never in the 10+ years in business, ever paid a bill late. She said, I am aware of that, your billing history, according to our records, is perfect. She said the reason the credit score has dropped was because we [D&B] have outdated records on your company.

I stopped her again and asked, so you want me to pay you for you to have more updated records? She said, yes. She said they spent millions of dollars trying to keep these records up to date. I said, good - because you sell those records to those looking for credit reports. But why do I have to pay you for that? It is your business to sell up-dated records to your clients.

Think about it... You are in the business of selling data, if your data is bad - then it is worth nothing. Why is it my obligation to pay you to give you data that is mine. In fact, you should pay me to get my data. You should definitely not charge me to give you my data.

She didn't agree with me. So we parted ways.

You can see, D&B charges a $180 per report, with add ons, to companies requesting them:

Posted Image

Now I am in a situation where I know D&B reduced my credit score because I won't pay them $500 for me to give them my data. Does that seem scammy or am I nuts?

I am not the only one who believes this, just check ripoffreport.com, creditboards.com and scam.com.

Am I wrong?

Update: I wanted to include some comments I received on Twitter and Google Buzz, in addition to the comments below. In all honesty, I was hoping some one would say I am nuts, because I kind of want to pay for the $500 to improve my D&B rating, but so far, no luck.

#2 Foilman

Foilman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:12 PM

I got the same call from them last week. And no, I didn't caugh up the 400 bucks either.

#3 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:19 PM

Are you sure they won't "update" your records without paying a fee? In years past, that was at no cost as those wanting a review of your credit would pay for the service, not the company being reviewed.

I don't believe that D & B is relevent any longer. The three big credit agencies have assumed that role for both individuals and small businesses, and automatically update their records with input from the banks and credit card carriers. You have asked for a problem by providing a DUNS number.

#4 P_Wop

P_Wop

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:41 PM

A DUNS number is pretty well a requirement if you're doing any business with the US Gummint. Otherwise, ignore it.

#5 zerothehero

zerothehero

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,362 posts
  • Interests:sailing. Duh.

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:48 PM

glad to hear others are getting these calls. We have gotten several lately

#6 LakeBoy

LakeBoy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,124 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:03 PM

My company still subscribes to D&B however I am becoming less & less enamorred with their reports. Over the years it is obvious that they have really scaled back on their efforts to obtain and maintain information. I train all new personnel to review the D&B files with a grain of salt and a healthy dose of skepticism.

For privately held companies, everything except payment history is self reported. Payment history comes from your vendors IF they chose to report to D&B. If you feel the payment history is not accurately reflecting your actual payments, you can challenge it through D&B. They are supposed to go to the vendors that report and ask them to confirm the trade line is acurate. When I did this for my company, our PAYDEX went up. Often {usually} taking prompt pay discounts can actually make it appear that what you don't pay on time is a larger percentage than it is. I am withholding my customer's payment history becase D&B hasn't yet been able to show me they will accurately reflect how my good customers are paying.

You can call them anytime and ask to update your information and give them as little or as much as you chose. You can also ask one of your vendors to request an "investigation" on your company. All that does is cause D&B to call you instead of you calling them.

The D&B Self Monitor service sounds exactly like the "FreeCreditReports.com" an other credit monitoring services sold to individuals. Only difference I can see is that credit fraud can really mess with your life where I don't think many commercial credit decisions are based solely on the D&B data.

#7 solar

solar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:25 PM

Interestingly I just got a letter from D&B prompting me to call for more information in my "D&B business credit profile" and recommending their "CreditMonitor". It went right in the wood stove.

#8 Carnivore

Carnivore

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:43 PM

So. If I am the Finance Minister in Greece, all I need to do to improve my country's credit rating is to cut a check for a few thousand $ and we are good?

Way cool. I am on a spending spree

#9 Heavy Metal

Heavy Metal

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 12:34 AM

I recently found out that Dunn and Bradstreet were breaching privacy rules.
In my case they had taken my personal information and distributed it amongst their offshore offices and were using it for marketing purposes.

When i pointed this out, and informed them that i had notified the Privacy Commisioner, i recieved the following.

Dear *&^%,

Our internal investigation identified a number of emails that were sent with incorrect content whereby some users of the dnbcreditreport.co.nz were sent links to dnbcreditreport.com.au.

We apologise for sending you an email in error. We have removed your details from our distribution list and put in place safeguards to ensure this would not happen again.

Thank you for your understanding and patience with this matter. If you have any questions or anything else I can help you with please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind Regards,

You'll notice that they skirt around the fact that they sent my deals offshore.
I should chase this matter further, but they hold sweet-fark-all info on me and i cant be bothered

#10 4knotSB

4knotSB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 12:56 AM

Since 1979, I've managed to do business without any of theses con artists. BBB is just as bad, and I'm going to guess that Angies' list is next. (After all, who else reviews both roofers AND doctors? At any rate, as long as those I owe are paid on time and happy, and my customers jobs are well done and on time, everybody is happy, and therefore I am too.

#11 Off Watch

Off Watch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:Performance Sailboats
    Sailmaking
    Boatbuilding and Repair
    Offshore Sailing

Posted 13 March 2012 - 02:01 AM

I have been getting the same scam from D&B, I am glad I am not alone.

#12 Dawg Gonit

Dawg Gonit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,991 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 03:41 AM

Stock Valuation, Credit Rating, D&B number, Kelly blue book ..........................Our modern society is such a joke designed to get you and keep you making monthly payments.

Just imagine if people could figure out how to make it through 1 year without making monthly payments. The economy would collapse.

Pretty sad state to think our modern economy is based on monthly payments.

I feel bad for our children.

#13 view at the front

view at the front

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 03:50 AM

It's the same with BBB, The BETTER Business Bureau.

#14 sumpin

sumpin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,921 posts
  • Interests:scallop mining and rudder fairing
    stair falling book cover mending

Posted 13 March 2012 - 04:14 AM

it's a big scam living here.people should leave, quickly

#15 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,944 posts
  • Location:I'm in Sunny..-. Warm..& ..Dry San Diego . and your not :-)
  • Interests:Prime + 1 3/4

COUGARS COUGARS & More COUGARS

Posted 13 March 2012 - 06:37 AM

Don't know about the rest of you but I have been hit with this scam.
Rick

from the Cartoon Barry Blog

Let me start off this rant by saying I am being careful on how I word this post, because Dun & Bradstreet is a very respected company that has been in business since 1841. That being said, I feel as if one of their practices is a downright scam - yes, I said it, a SCAM. D&B is probably most well known for their D-U-N-S numbers. Wikipedia has a nice explanation of the DUNS number, but basically it is a number assigned to business entities. It was introduced by D&B in 1963 to support D&B's credit reporting practice, instead of using a business's tax ID number, since some businesses file under social security numbers, i.e. sole proprietorships.

When I formed my business, I eventually registered myself with D&B and received a DUNS number. On very limited occasions, I am asked by vendors and clients for my DUNS number. It is so limited that I always have to go to the D&B web site and look it up, and I am the type of person that remembers numbers 835634465 after looking at them once.

Yesterday, I received a phone call from one of the over 5,000 or so people who work at D&B. They told me that recently two different companies asked for a credit report on my company. They asked me if I was aware. I told them, I do know two companies recently asked me to provide my DUNS number to them.

She then said, are you aware your credit rating with us [D&B] was lowered from our highest score of a 1 to a 2. I said, no, I wasn't aware of that.

The way she was talking was very 'salesly' at this point. So I stopped her and said, "what do I have to buy from you?"

She said that they offer a product named "DNBi SelfMonitor" for $449.00. If I pay that, my credit score would go back to 1.

Posted Image

I got angry. I said, my company has never in the 10+ years in business, ever paid a bill late. She said, I am aware of that, your billing history, according to our records, is perfect. She said the reason the credit score has dropped was because we [D&B] have outdated records on your company.

I stopped her again and asked, so you want me to pay you for you to have more updated records? She said, yes. She said they spent millions of dollars trying to keep these records up to date. I said, good - because you sell those records to those looking for credit reports. But why do I have to pay you for that? It is your business to sell up-dated records to your clients.

Think about it... You are in the business of selling data, if your data is bad - then it is worth nothing. Why is it my obligation to pay you to give you data that is mine. In fact, you should pay me to get my data. You should definitely not charge me to give you my data.

She didn't agree with me. So we parted ways.

You can see, D&B charges a $180 per report, with add ons, to companies requesting them:

Posted Image

Now I am in a situation where I know D&B reduced my credit score because I won't pay them $500 for me to give them my data. Does that seem scammy or am I nuts?

I am not the only one who believes this, just check ripoffreport.com, creditboards.com and scam.com.

Am I wrong?

Update: I wanted to include some comments I received on Twitter and Google Buzz, in addition to the comments below. In all honesty, I was hoping some one would say I am nuts, because I kind of want to pay for the $500 to improve my D&B rating, but so far, no luck.

I just got an offer from D&B of $300.00 - if I would talk you into paying them the $500.00 Posted Image

for $250.00 I'll talk you out of it - as you are an SA Member Posted Image

#16 razorback

razorback

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,298 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:53 AM

We got the same call a while back. Only impact it had on me was to totally disregard D&B for any & everything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users