12 replies to this topic

#1 lidosailor

lidosailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:17 AM

Does anyone have any experience with Zim 420s? Are they good boats for institutional use?

#2 haligonian winterr

haligonian winterr

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts
  • Interests:Going Fast.

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:26 AM

Does anyone have any experience with Zim 420s? Are they good boats for institutional use?

No experience sailing them institutionally, but I do like their replacement of guy-hooks with longer shroud pins.

The one Zim C420 I saw at the boat show looked the exact same as any other new C420 (Laser Performance, PS2000), with the exception of the adjustable bridle splice, which I think LP has gone to as well.

I also don't quite get what your requirements are for "institutional" use, I assume you mean college/university sailing?

HW

Edit: Zim Optis are booming, might indicate a good C420 product?

#3 Lake Shark

Lake Shark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • Interests:boats, babes, and brews

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:56 AM

I saw a ton of chartered zims at 420 nationals at sheridan shores last year and the fit and finish on them looked solid. they are certainly marketed to the racing crowd with the gross/fine trap adjustment and dyneema everything. I have heard rumors that their foredeck is thinner and more fragile but I cannot confirm that. I don't think they would make a good boat for beginners to learn on if that is what you mean by institutional use,for that I think you would be much better off buying a college teams old fleet.

#4 pez

pez

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Interests:bitches, boats

Posted 16 March 2012 - 12:06 AM

SUNY Maritime just got a new fleet 420s from Zim. I'll find out what they think of them/

#5 B.Wilkinson

B.Wilkinson

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 02:33 AM

Although they I dont believe they are being built anymore, ps2000's are still around in mass

#6 GladysHaywood

GladysHaywood

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 03:04 AM

Posted ImageI don't think they would make a good boat for beginners to learn on if that is what you mean by institutional use,for that I think you would be much better off buying a college teams old fleet

#7 Snikch

Snikch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 03:04 AM

SUNY Maritime just got a new fleet 420s from Zim. I'll find out what they think of them/

I sailed them last October. The collegiate ones are pretty slick, mostly the same just with a few different details aka a cylindrical traveler bar!!! no more leg gouges cause of the stupid square design from previous builders

#8 sailss

sailss

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:sailing

Posted 16 March 2012 - 12:43 PM

Rondar Raceboats is now manufacturing 420's here in the US. These are collegiate boats built to a much higher standard for longer durability.

#9 jewing

jewing

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Interests:If you're on this site, probably not that much different than yours

Posted 16 March 2012 - 03:38 PM

Rondar Raceboats is now manufacturing 420's here in the US. These are collegiate boats built to a much higher standard for longer durability.

The Newb is correct. You should make sure Rondar is also part of the bidding pool.

#10 jewing

jewing

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Interests:If you're on this site, probably not that much different than yours

Posted 16 March 2012 - 03:45 PM

The Newb is correct. You should make sure Rondar is also part of the bidding pool.

#11 kingstonsail

kingstonsail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Interests:Sailing on Bacon

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:07 PM

Bought my son a zim 420 last year. All in all it is a great boat save for a few minor glitches. Found that the gudgeon was off centre so had to remove and redrill...added a transom flap also so can confirm the boat has darn solid construction. Can't think of any negatives....

#12 -Julian-

-Julian-

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 12:28 AM

As a coach, I've seen a lot of Ps200 and Laser Performance 420s as Club owned fleets. Zim boats look pretty sweet, but they could probably be easily beaten up in the hands of inexperienced sailors.

#13 RockHead

RockHead

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,851 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 02:20 PM

Yes, we are, though we are not "Club 420" Class legal/approved. You can't sail one our US built 420's in an open regatta, so you don't want to buy one of ours for your kids. We build a nice class legal International 420 in our UK shop. In the US, we're focused on collegiate primarily, and will customize laminates, hardware, rig or whatever you like.

The OP and I have already spoken, and we'd be a great fit for a commercial environment like his. The depreciated annual cost is about 1/3 less than a Zim despite a higher initial cost. Our 420's are fully cored construction, which makes them nearly 50 pounds lighter than a Club 420, while being stiffer and far more durable. Lighter makes it slightly more lively to sail, less crew weight sensitive, and just as importantly, easier to handle on the dock or dolly. You can't oilcan our 420 deck or hull with your hand, like you can a LP. A Rondar will hold up abuse far better due to the better laminate. If the inital lifespan of a Zim or Laser Performance 420 is 3-5 years in hard institutional use, ours will easily be double that (likely more, 10-12 years). You can literally pound on a Rondar dinghy hull with a hammer and barely crack the gelcoat. We've also got some other tricks up our sleeve to make our 420 stiffer overall, in addition to the dramatically stiffer laminate. We know a thing or two about building good small boats, having been at it for 30+ years!

We delivered 20 Fireflys to MIT in December. We're currently building them a new fleet of 30 Tech dinghies, e-glass and carbon, nearly 50 pounds lighter than the Techs in their current fleet. They started with a dozen of our UK built 420s. The fact that MIT keeps coming back for new fleet orders might tell you something about the quality and value of a Rondar Raceboats dinghy...

You can find construction and completed photos of the Flys and Techs on our facebook page.

We also plan to build FJs in the US as soon as someone orders a fleet!

If you're interested in our collegiate dinghies, call, email or PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users