41 replies to this topic

#1 blubberboy

blubberboy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,757 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 04:18 AM

Ok, so I'm seeing this Team Oracle Puma gear that is being whored around in by the AC dudes, and the VOR program is in fully swing. Now why is it that Puma sponsors the shite out of our beloved sport, but does sweet Grannies left tit to get this stuff out there for us to buy. Hell, I can buy some low grade Iranian plutonium easier than I can a fucking Puma AC jacket. As for their VOR swag, maybe I'll pass. That gear they had out the past go around wasn't worth wrapping up a dead hooker in. Granted, the clown boots were pretty comfy, but the monkey shit brown ones were rather sparse.

Does anyone know if these merchants of mythological apparel are going to release any sailing gear onto the North American Continent?

Camper, you're doing a wonderful job in comparison... However, $170 for some deck shoes, please kick yourselves in your rape juice canisters. Fuck the neighbors dog and light the house on fire! I'd just as soon drape myself in skin suit made from 3rd world children than be seen drapsing around in Camper Seamar shoes.

Blow me in '3, 2, 1...'

#2 Snaggletooth

Snaggletooth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,609 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 04:22 AM

fyi - Chupacobra is reelle :)

#3 parody_paul

parody_paul

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Lots

Posted 17 March 2012 - 04:28 AM

fyi - Chupacobra is reelle :)

Hey Snaggle.

Just letting you know I didn't just up and leave. Will soon though.

previously melb_paul

#4 Snaggletooth

Snaggletooth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,609 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 04:31 AM

no wurries maite :)

#5 blubberboy

blubberboy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,757 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:06 AM

Bump...

#6 BarePoles

BarePoles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,259 posts
  • Interests:sailing, surfing, architecture, Texas Forever

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:36 AM

Share your sentiment. You can walk into any one if the Camper stores in NYC and there's VOR shit everywhere, posters, shoes, shirts, models, etc.

You walk into anyone of the Puma stores and they don't have anything other than a motorcycle jacket with a Ferarri logo on it!?

Not saying I want to be fully kitted in Puma gear, but come on put some swag out to promote the sport!!!

#7 Carbon

Carbon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:59 PM

They did a much better job in the last VOR - that's for sure. I'd love to know (from Puma) what their intention is. You don't see their gear in West Marine, anymore, so it would appear they aren't expanding at all and their website lists no products for sailors.

#8 Soley

Soley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,842 posts
  • Interests:Take a guess. It ain't too hard.....

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:17 PM

There is a good range of sailing stuff on the European Puma website but still not really enough. I think they lost a ton of cash on sailing gear last time around and now use the boat just to promote their brand around the world.

#9 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,527 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:32 PM

Rumors abound that there is a very big product line launch coming in the US before the end of the Volvo . Given past history, I'm not holding my breath.

#10 Soley

Soley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,842 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:00 PM

They had some pretty cool post prototype shoes on display in Newport last summer, also got to sneak in on the Laird Hamilton press conference...

#11 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,151 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:14 PM

I have a pair of their shorts, padded and reinforced. Really nice and wanted a few more pairs but I cant find them anywhere.

Hope they bring back out their sailing line of gear

#12 hermetic

hermetic

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:47 PM

There is a good range of sailing stuff on the European Puma website but still not really enough. I think they lost a ton of cash on sailing gear last time around and now use the boat just to promote their brand around the world.

Ding, ding, ding. Was always the case.

They could care less if people buy PUMA sailing crap.

#13 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,527 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:22 PM

There were major distribution problems with the last race that left their whole model for sailing gear in jeopardy. They hope to fix it this time around, but mostly so that the sailing program can defray some of the sponsorship costs. I was told by Puma higher ups in Alicante that the line would be ready by the end of the race, and that Puma were committed to it.

Sailing apparel will never make more than a small dent to a company that does billions in sportswear - There are no billions in sailing - just billionaires.

but getting gear on AC and VOR and other top sailors combined with the Laird stuff, gives them an awful lot of lifestyle marketing points.

And it's "They couldn't care less"

#14 DriverEd

DriverEd

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:22 PM

My daughter was in a 420 race in Charleston about a month after CRW last year. We went into west marine and they had tons of Puma stuff on sale 75% off. It seems like decent kit.

#15 hermetic

hermetic

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:51 PM

There were major distribution problems with the last race that left their whole model for sailing gear in jeopardy. They hope to fix it this time around, but mostly so that the sailing program can defray some of the sponsorship costs. I was told by Puma higher ups in Alicante that the line would be ready by the end of the race, and that Puma were committed to it.

Sailing apparel will never make more than a small dent to a company that does billions in sportswear - There are no billions in sailing - just billionaires.

but getting gear on AC and VOR and other top sailors combined with the Laird stuff, gives them an awful lot of lifestyle marketing points.

You're correct about the 'couldn't'.

The other stuff - not so much.

#16 teuchter

teuchter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:Sailing!

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:55 PM

These guys have some awsome art work on their boat, which would make some awsome looking T-shirts.

Someone said its going to be ready for end of the race, makes little to no sense to me.

As for camper - i have to agree their prices seem abit over the top. 40 for a t-shirt 100 for sun glasses. will sitll end up paying 40 for the T-shirt i guess

*edit*

just found some puma clothing on their uk site - 3-3 items that look good.

prices are follow
1. shorts - 40
2. T-shirt - 37
3. "challanger" shorts 135
4. "challanger" dry top 175

was also some sailing jackets ranging from 260-450

not sure what their challanger range is, inshore racing?
prices seem very over priced.

#17 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,527 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:34 PM

Then you're calling the Puma USA rep a liar.

#18 Damaged Goods

Damaged Goods

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts
  • Interests:Community organizing.

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:37 PM

Than you're calling the Puma USA rep a liar.

Clean, you're refreshing, a lawyer who's obviously NOT a politician (nor PC). I insist on you buying me a drink to that!

#19 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,527 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:39 PM

I insist on you buying me a drink to that!

Happy to buy you a drink. Will I recognize you by the faint smell of anti-psychotic medication?

Attached Files

#20 Snaggletooth

Snaggletooth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,609 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:06 PM

Posted Image

Nicco......??

forghet it. :)

#21 hermetic

hermetic

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:15 PM

Then you're calling the Puma USA rep a liar.

Not really, what someone tells you is generally immaterial.

But I did believe his boss.

#22 Soley

Soley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,842 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:17 PM

Happy to buy you a drink. Will I recognize you by the faint smell of anti-psychotic medication?

Fark, Clean forgot to change his tampon today..

#23 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,527 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:59 PM

I'm sure you did. Did you wipe your chin off afterwards?

#24 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,527 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 11:02 PM

Fark, Clean forgot to change his tampon today..

Naw, I've just been too much of a pussy the past few months. I miss the good ol' days.

#25 Super Delegate

Super Delegate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • Interests:Custom Rigging Solutions

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:20 AM

Hahahaha damn jack, you are fucking nuts-o. Classic.

#26 Damaged Goods

Damaged Goods

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts
  • Interests:Community organizing.

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:21 AM

OK Mizta Klean. Your Big Pimpings convinced me to go online and patronize Worst Marine! I just received their $5 off coupon for chumps willing to part with $300 min.

#27 hermetic

hermetic

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:40 AM

Excellent reply.

I'm sure that they will now reconsider and buy an ad on the front page.

#28 Snaggletooth

Snaggletooth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,609 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:10 PM

Excellent reply.

I'm sure that they will now reconsider and buy an ad on the front page.

An dtheye coudente caire lesse.... :)

#29 Tony-F18

Tony-F18

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,370 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:18 PM

Puma sells all of the VOR stuff online at their webshop, bought a tshirt and some sandals last year on sale (30 total).
The sandals are great btw, very comfortable and you hardly notice them:
http://www.shop-eu.puma.com/Sailing-Sportlifestyle-Bow-Sandal/185201,en,pd.html&cgid=51620#!i%3D4%26color%3D10_black-gray_violet-white%26size%3DUK_10

#30 JL92S

JL92S

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:27 PM

right i've been looking online for 2 days now and it looks like puma sailing kit has disappeared. all you can now buy online is some unwanted VOR jackets, t shirts and some oracle kit mostly in womens sizes. the only things i can find are on ebay and i question whether they're fake or not:
http://www.ebay.com/...=item416e90797e
http://www.ebay.com/...=item337e19affa
http://www.ebay.com/...=item337e19b794
they seem suspiciously cheap. Legit?

#31 mcsailor0303

mcsailor0303

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • Interests:Kiteboarding, Ladies, Beer, and SAILING

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:42 PM

Ok, so I'm seeing this Team Oracle Puma gear that is being whored around in by the AC dudes, and the VOR program is in fully swing. Now why is it that Puma sponsors the shite out of our beloved sport, but does sweet Grannies left tit to get this stuff out there for us to buy. Hell, I can buy some low grade Iranian plutonium easier than I can a fucking Puma AC jacket. As for their VOR swag, maybe I'll pass. That gear they had out the past go around wasn't worth wrapping up a dead hooker in. Granted, the clown boots were pretty comfy, but the monkey shit brown ones were rather sparse.

Does anyone know if these merchants of mythological apparel are going to release any sailing gear onto the North American Continent?

Camper, you're doing a wonderful job in comparison... However, $170 for some deck shoes, please kick yourselves in your rape juice canisters. Fuck the neighbors dog and light the house on fire! I'd just as soon drape myself in skin suit made from 3rd world children than be seen drapsing around in Camper Seamar shoes.

Blow me in '3, 2, 1...'

Has to be the best rant I have read in a while! Classic!

#32 jesposito

jesposito

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,672 posts
  • Interests:cycling, skiing and depressing the competition on the race course

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:56 PM

Maybe that's why they finished where they did!

#33 Code 2

Code 2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts
  • Interests:stuff....

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:48 AM

My kid and I went to the Puma store at the currently under construction AC venue at Pier # something in SF over Thanksgiving weekend. The little store was manned by non-sailors and we bought an overpriced T for the boy. They did have some cool stuff - but I dont work in that pay grade. I tried to steal the Laird carbon racing paddleboard - the sales people were not amused.

#34 tomcheney

tomcheney

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:16 AM

Looks like Adidas are joining the party http://www.terrathre...D-FOOTWEAR.html

#35 sunseeker

sunseeker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:29 PM

My kid and I went to the Puma store at the currently under construction AC venue at Pier # something in SF over Thanksgiving weekend. The little store was manned by non-sailors and we bought an overpriced T for the boy. They did have some cool stuff - but I dont work in that pay grade. I tried to steal the Laird carbon racing paddleboard - the sales people were not amused.

That paddleboard design sucks can't believe laird is associated with it.

#36 mr_ryano

mr_ryano

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,967 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:34 PM

That paddleboard design sucks can't believe laird is associated with it.

The paddleboard is a Juan K design (not a joke)

#37 alteredst88

alteredst88

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:46 PM

Looks like Adidas are joining the party http://www.terrathre...D-FOOTWEAR.html

Sweet.

G

#38 Port Tack Approach

Port Tack Approach

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:55 PM

rock my adidas. Never rock fila

#39 Kraftwerk

Kraftwerk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Interests:Frostbite Racing, Abstract Painting, Oil Changes, Robert Louis Stevenson

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:38 AM

It may be they just dont want random foul-mouthed dorks wearing their sailing gear?

All kidding aside, I got a free pair of Puma sailing sneakers from someone at Puma USA.
Label says: "Engineering Stage"
They have been really great. Would love to replace them.

They do sell driving shoes, which are pretty damn specific. The number of weekend-track-day racers & pro race car drivers can't be that different from the amount of sailors. There are probably many MORE sailors actually.
Someone have Jochen Zeit's phone number? ... he's a nice dude btw.

#40 ronin

ronin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Interests:sailing

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:53 AM

They do sell driving shoes, which are pretty damn specific. The number of weekend-track-day racers & pro race car drivers can't be that different from the amount of sailors.

Funny you should mention that. I fell into the same trap a few months ago when I went to my local Puma retailer to check and see if they had any sailing related attire, perhaps some VOR stuff. When that elicited dumbfound looks from the sales staff, I shifted gears and mentioned AC paraphernalia. That didn't get me any farther. Not trying to sound like an asshole, I casually mentioned that there was a silly little sailboat race about a day's drive south of here in that tiny little unknown suburb north of LA called San Francisco that seems to have the rest of the world quite enraptured.
Still nothing.
Ironically, like you, I did notice that there were several racing shoe options on the shelves. I say ironically because only eight short years earlier I went walking into the same store asking for, you guessed it, racing shoes. And they had nada. The responses from the staff back then were eerily similar to today's, making this visit like a bad episode of the Twilight Zone. So I figure, hell, if I go back in another eight years...

#41 DaveK

DaveK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,757 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:02 PM

Americas Cup spammed the crap out of my facebook to go buy shit so I go over there and in all the long sleeves, they are sold out or only have medium or small.

wtf....

http://shop.americas...eneral-men.html

#42 DaveK

DaveK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,757 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:38 PM

you don't have my size assholes!!

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic