46 replies to this topic

#1 Steinsvik

Steinsvik

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:46 AM

Good day!
I'm trying to dig up some history about the Carter 33 sailboats. I'm appearantly the only person in Norway who owns one of these boats, and I'm curious about the boat type.
The designer is Dick Carter, and the boats were popular during the 70's. My boat is from 1975 and is built at Olympic Yachts in Greece. But I think the boats also were built in UK.
Does anyone know anything about these boats, the designer and when/how they were built?
It seems some of the solutions in the design are pretty good considering they were built in the 1970's.

Posted Image

#2 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,244 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:41 PM

Stein:
I worked for Dick Carter from april 1973 to april 1974 but the 33 was already in production at that time so I had nothing to do with that design. Yves-Marie Tanton did work for Dick when the 33 was being designed and he gets on SA from time to time. Maybe you could contact Yves-Marie through his website. I'm sure he can fill you in on the details of that boat. It's a nice looking boat.

#3 Steinsvik

Steinsvik

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 02:17 PM

Thank you! I've now sent him an e-mail :-)

#4 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 02:22 PM

Fuck you!

No one cares about a Carter 33.

Any pics of the GF you'd care to share with the boyz?

#5 Steinsvik

Steinsvik

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 02:24 PM

No.

#6 hobot

hobot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,358 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 02:31 PM

Fuck you!

No one cares about a Carter 33.

Any pics of the GF you'd care to share with the boyz?

Might have been lost in transmission DR.

#7 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 02:37 PM

No.

"No"?

That all you have?

#8 nolatom

nolatom

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 02:56 PM

I care about a Carter 33. I must've missed DR's poll.

#9 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 02:58 PM

I care about a Carter 33. I must've missed DR's poll.

Actually, no, you don't.

#10 nolatom

nolatom

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 03:00 PM

Oh. You're right, I don't. Sorry.

Man, that'll teach me....

#11 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,244 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 03:15 PM

Dorag's in rare form this morning.

#12 Kevlar Edge

Kevlar Edge

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,855 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 03:21 PM

What specific info are you looking for? I have the plans in the archives, and i'm pretty sure we made a few sails for one a while ago.
heres some basic stuff
LOA 32'7" Beam 10'11"
Draft 5'6"
Displacement 7400lbs.
Ballast 2860lbs
Sail area 369.4 sqft
Retail price $21000
Design dated, March 27th 1972
I 39'
J 12.3
P 34
E 9.7

#13 Steinsvik

Steinsvik

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 03:29 PM

I'm mostly interested in the history of the production and who designed/built it. So far I've learned that the first boats were built in Sweden before the production was moved to Greece (Olympic Yachts).
I also had the "pleasure" of really getting to know the structure of the boat, since one of the previous owners of my boat ran it ashore, destroying the keel joint. (Pictures of the repair process last summer here: http://steinsvik.blogspot.com/ )
I'm hoping it will hold up. Also, the keel seems to be made out of 316 stainless steel, not iron or lead. I haven't seen that before.

Posted Image

#14 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 03:40 PM

Yes, panties are bunched as the rain is destroying the snow, so now I have to head south and go sailing.

#15 hobot

hobot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,358 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 04:24 PM

I fricken HATE it when that happens!

"s"

#16 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 04:33 PM

I fricken HATE it when that happens!

"s"

Exactly.

#17 Tanton Yacht Design

Tanton Yacht Design

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • Interests:To Never Quit.

Posted 19 March 2012 - 05:06 PM

The original Carter 33 was designed as a Half Ton Cup boat. Built in Sweden by Storebro Bruk., they built a few more, before the molds were sent to Greece. At least one hundred boats were built by Olympic.

#18 atefooterz

atefooterz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,842 posts
  • Interests:many

Posted 19 March 2012 - 06:31 PM

Our Carter 33 choice is much better ... of course "s"

Attached Files

#19 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,244 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:19 PM

Dorag:
Sorry to hear that. Maybe you should come up here. We are getting a ton of new snow. I'll let you use our Founders pass at Crystal Mountain. We had some snow on the beach this morning

#20 Recidivist

Recidivist

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,496 posts
  • Interests:sailing, building sailing boats, cruising, racing, day sailing.

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:29 AM

The original Carter 33 was designed as a Half Ton Cup boat. Built in Sweden by Storebro Bruk., they built a few more, before the molds were sent to Greece. At least one hundred boats were built by Olympic.

Y_M - I'm surprised at the half-ton bit. If my memory serves they were a 3/4 in Australia - maybe they used a bigger rig? The very similar Yamaha 33 was also a 3/4 but I seem to remember they increased the jib overlap to get the rating up to that point. The Australian Carter 33 builder later made a new deck mould and produced an aft cabin version, but I'd think it would have been a bit squeezy back there.

Edit: Just noticed 8 footer's last pic was the aft cabin, centre cockpit version.

#21 Tanton Yacht Design

Tanton Yacht Design

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • Interests:To Never Quit.

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:04 PM

Y_M - I'm surprised at the half-ton bit. If my memory serves they were a 3/4 in Australia - maybe they used a bigger rig? The very similar Yamaha 33 was also a 3/4 but I seem to remember they increased the jib overlap to get the rating up to that point. The Australian Carter 33 builder later made a new deck mould and produced an aft cabin version, but I'd think it would have been a bit squeezy back there.

Edit: Just noticed 8 footer's last pic was the aft cabin, centre cockpit version.

Early I.O.R boats emphasized Length over Sail Area. Explaining the rather large Half Ton Cup hull, like the Carter 33. Boats became better all around when the process was reversed.

#22 Steinsvik

Steinsvik

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:28 AM

How would you say the Carter 33 holds up when it comes to extended offshore cruising, like a round-the-world voyage?

#23 Recidivist

Recidivist

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,496 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:27 PM

How would you say the Carter 33 holds up when it comes to extended offshore cruising, like a round-the-world voyage?

As I mentioned above, the Yamaha 33 was very similar, if not the same as the Carter 33. I remember a few years back (maybe more than a few) a couple writing - maybe in Cruising helmsman (an Aussie sailing mag) about their extensive cruises on a Yammy. Sounded like the boat was handling it fine. The details escape me at the moment, but there was some high latitude stuff as well as Pacific Islands IIRC. Someone else may remember more?

#24 osage

osage

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:38 PM

DoRag you communist! There are tons of folk that like Classic IOR boats Retard! Why the insulting response? If you had nothing to say go read a comic book DooDoo! Or maybe you think you're one these flat-bottomed high tech hair for brains 21 Century Sailors...go *%ck your dog Man!

#25 Animal Kingdom

Animal Kingdom

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:25 PM

I posted on the Dick Carter designs thread but got no response so I'll follow up here...anyone have any info on the Carter 3/4 Ton? There's one near here that has me curious. Thanks in advance.

#26 Somebody Else

Somebody Else

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,994 posts
  • Interests:Shootings, just like HotRod!

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:25 PM

No. That's not rare; that's normal.

It is why I have him on 'ignore', not that it makes any difference, everybody quoting his posts all the time.

We had a few Carter 33 in the charter fleets of Greece in the '70s. Good robust boats with a good turn of speed. Fun to sail. I remember taking one through the Corinth Canal under spinnaker! The wind was blowing straight down the canal. Pretty cool. It's only 72-feet (22 meters) wide and the sides are 148 feet (45 meters) high in the middle so you are sailing along in this deep, narrow trench. Awesome!

Seeing as it's so narrow, it's one-way. You stand-by outside the entrance and wait for a signal from the authority.

#27 some dude

some dude

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,056 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:00 PM

DoRag you communist! There are tons of folk that like Classic IOR boats Retard! Why the insulting response? If you had nothing to say go read a comic book DooDoo! Or maybe you think you're one these flat-bottomed high tech hair for brains 21 Century Sailors...go *%ck your dog Man!

hook, line and sinker

#28 sylvano

sylvano

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:46 PM

Please, did you remember witch ior rating level had carter 33 ? Less 22 feet ?

#29 SailDry

SailDry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:46 PM

There is a nice one for sale in Detroit.

#30 bob riemens

bob riemens

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:sailing , Ice boating and boat building

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:43 PM

Please let me know what you are looking for. I am glad to see how good the boat looks. I was building them in Greece from late 71through 75. Please send me your e mail and I could send some history

#31 Bucket

Bucket

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:46 AM

There was a Carter 33 (the half-tonner) and a Carter 3/4-tonner that was also 33 feet long. Their production lives overlapped, causing some confusion The boat being asked about is the 33 and, as YM pointed out, was designed to have the long calculated L under the IOR. The 3/4-tonner was more balanced, but it was also less cruising oriented. We had three racing in the Northwest back in the mid-70s, though I remember only Phil Tucker's Jadah.

#32 Great White

Great White

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts
  • Interests:Racing, cruising, bicycle riding and touring, hiking, xcountry skiing.

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:43 PM

There was a Carter 33 (the half-tonner) and a Carter 3/4-tonner that was also 33 feet long. Their production lives overlapped, causing some confusion The boat being asked about is the 33 and, as YM pointed out, was designed to have the long calculated L under the IOR. The 3/4-tonner was more balanced, but it was also less cruising oriented. We had three racing in the Northwest back in the mid-70s, though I remember only Phil Tucker's Jadah.

From some old race results from 1976, there was also "Tzores" and "Tapocketa". From sail number comparisons, "Tzores" is now named "Carpe Diem".

#33 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,244 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:46 PM

Bucket:
Phil was my dentsist and I remember JADAH very well. I'm pretty sure I must have crewed on it a few times.

#34 Rudeboy Cumqwat

Rudeboy Cumqwat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, motorcycles

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:07 AM

Mine was constructed by Mariner yachts in Sydney.

Does anyone know if Mariner used the same hull mould as Olympic? It's obvious the deck mould is different but I can't tell if the hull is the same.

Saildata doesn't have Mariner listed as a yacht builder even though it seems they were the biggest yacht builder in Australia at one point.

#35 On the Hard

On the Hard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,157 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:47 PM

I raced on one of the 1/2 ton models in the early 70's. Unbeatable when it blew 20+. Beautifully built boat and pretty much indestructible. Not your friend in light airs however. The 3/4 ton model doubtless has more sail area. I remember the boat being tweaked to all of the design wierdnesses of the time. Big tumblehome on the topside. The rudder was shaped like a golf tee when viewed from behind, very wide at the top tapering very quickly to normal width. Inside was beautiful furniture and joinerwork.

When they had the half ton N/A's in Corpus Christi, Animal Farm, a Wylie design won every race except the offshore race where it blew well over 50. I wasn't on the Carter 33 for that race but it won by a lot!

#36 Life Buoy 15

Life Buoy 15

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,247 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:01 PM

If my memory serves me correctly 'screw loose' was a Carter 33 - it won the Sydney to Hobart in 1978. Coincidently that was the same year that Dorag was interfered with by his scoutmaster whilst living here and he has hated Australia ever since.

#37 Rudeboy Cumqwat

Rudeboy Cumqwat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:18 PM

If my memory serves me correctly 'screw loose' was a Carter 33 - it won the Sydney to Hobart in 1978. Coincidently that was the same year that Dorag was interfered with by his scoutmaster whilst living here and he has hated Australia ever since.

According to the official site "Screw Loose" won the 1979 race (so your memory is pretty damned good) which was the first year mine competed. More confusing to me is that Screw Loose won on handicap from a finishing place of 93rd... My boat finished 78th but was placed 22nd on handicap so she must have been rated higher? They don't have any detail about the boats up on that site which is a little frustrating... Oh well...

#38 Recidivist

Recidivist

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,496 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:22 PM

Nope.  Screw Loose was a production Holland 30.

#39 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,361 posts
  • Interests:SA is DEAD

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:36 PM

I actually was looking at one in San Francisco a few years back. Did a pile of research on them they built a pile of them in the UK. I really liked the layout below no idea how it sailed. The SF Boat was a mess keel needed to be dropped and redone deck was rotted in places but it got me looking at these. Good looking boat for sure

#40 Rudeboy Cumqwat

Rudeboy Cumqwat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 01:44 AM

That would go some way to explaining the rating difference :)

#41 Life Buoy 15

Life Buoy 15

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,247 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:57 AM

Shit You are quite right. And it was 1980 when Dorag's scoutmaster flashed his nasty at him. I stand corrected.

#42 lydia

lydia

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:39 AM

Not really a production Holland 30. Started life as "MASH" for the 1977 1/2 ton worlds

Rather lightly built with no interior Navtec rig set up with pump up everything

#43 Darkside

Darkside

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:16 PM

The owner of Carpe Diem probably could be talked into selling.

#44 Rudeboy Cumqwat

Rudeboy Cumqwat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:02 AM

So I did some measuring of my boat yesterday and it turns out the rig dimensions are an exact match for the Carter 3/4 ton design which also happens to be 10m (33'). So I have the feeling that the Australian built ones (at least the ones built by Mariner) were built to the later, heavier design.

Cheers,

Dan

#45 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,244 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:58 PM

Quat:

Can you post a pic of your boat please?

#46 Rudeboy Cumqwat

Rudeboy Cumqwat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:31 AM

Here's a photo taken the day I completed the sale.

I have a couple of her up on the lift for the inspection if it helps...

h6ly.jpg

#47 Bucket

Bucket

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 04:33 AM

Looks familiar, like the 3/4 tonner. As I remember, the other 33 had a trunk cabin not the wedge.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users