• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Knosaj

Knosaj

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:03 PM

hello all. In one of the largests online boating communities, I hope you guys and gals can give me some thoughts.

In short, we have, and are considering some major cosmetic work on the boat. my question is can i expect to recoupe the money at sale. I realize that boats are in most cases a labor of love and not a place to invest money, but, we would like to at least see some of it back and wondering how much we might expect to see.

about a year or two ago we purchased a 1982 Pearson 323 in REALLY good shape. The last owner was a retired boat surveyor who invested plenty of time back into the boat. the insides have been very well maintained, and except for seat fabric is all original but very good shape. the hull is in great shape (excluding the blisters below the waterline) we have had mixed advice on if we should repair these or not. Two surveyors said that we could repair them, but they may come back, and just weren't that big of a deal. there are probably an average of 5-10 per sq ft. !!!

sails are not brand new, but are clean and in respectable shape.
all sunbrella is in new condition and all teak is maintained.
Rigging is not original, and has been upgraded some. No issues.

after having the boat about 5 days the orginal volvo gave up. we replaced that one with a new volvo.

thinking of having the hull and topsides, with mast, painted.

so:
boat: 32k
engine: 12k
paint hull and topsides: guessing 10-15k
repair blisters: rough estimate 5-10k

so at this point we have a solid 44k in the boat and considering throwing another 5-20k into it. If we did, this would be one top notch 323! but, would it be a 60k 323? that seems to be a bit out of the park, but maybe not, i dont know.

end the end, what might we expect to see on return? how much is a very nice 323 going for?

we have no plans of saling the boat, but i dont want to throw money away either. the boat is in great shape as it is now.

thanks all!

#2 Drop Bear.

Drop Bear.

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • Interests:none.

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:12 PM

You seem to be talking about maintenance.

You won't get money back on maintenance.

You generally don't get all the money back in improvements either but can at least try.

#3 Cuttyhunker

Cuttyhunker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:35 PM

See if you can find out what other Pearsons are selling for. If they are selling for what you are into your boat for now then there is no way you'll talk someone into paying an extra 20k. In that price range, you'll probably be able to get 5k more for a boat in great shape versus a boat in good shape. Buyers are picky these days and will beat you down closer to what other similar boats are going for.

#4 slap drone

slap drone

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Interests:The Culture

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:51 PM

according to a 5 second google search, a 1982 Pearson 323 will sell for around $19k to $25k - so very top end version may go for 30 to 35

#5 Shaggy

Shaggy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,328 posts
  • Interests:This is SA, you figure it out.......

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:39 PM

hello all. In one of the largests online boating communities, I hope you guys and gals can give me some thoughts.

In short, we have, and are considering some major cosmetic work on the boat. my question is can i expect to recoupe the money at sale. I realize that boats are in most cases a labor of love and not a place to invest money, but, we would like to at least see some of it back and wondering how much we might expect to see.

about a year or two ago we purchased a 1982 Pearson 323 in REALLY good shape. The last owner was a retired boat surveyor who invested plenty of time back into the boat. the insides have been very well maintained, and except for seat fabric is all original but very good shape. the hull is in great shape (excluding the blisters below the waterline) we have had mixed advice on if we should repair these or not. Two surveyors said that we could repair them, but they may come back, and just weren't that big of a deal. there are probably an average of 5-10 per sq ft. !!!

after having the boat about 5 days the orginal volvo gave up. we replaced that one with a new volvo.

so:

so at this point we have a solid 44k in the boat and considering throwing another 5-20k into it. If we did, this would be one top notch 323! but, would it be a 60k 323? that seems to be a bit out of the park, but maybe not, i dont know.

end the end, what might we expect to see on return? how much is a very nice 323 going for?

we have no plans of saling the boat, but i dont want to throw money away either. the boat is in great shape as it is now.

thanks all!

If you have no plans of sailing the boat then why did you get a SAIL BOAT???:D

Edit: Oh yea, Fuck off and show us your wife/Girlfriends Tits.....

#6 Bump-n-Grind

Bump-n-Grind

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,996 posts
  • Interests:Boats: J35, Chesapeake 20 ,Laser , 47' ChrisCraft Commander, Mainship 34, Volkl P10's 205's, Fischer Big Stix 185's, K2 Recons, K2 Xplorers, Rosi Phantoms, other boats and powder boards to be named later

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:15 PM

so:

thanks all!

thank you for doing your part in keeping the marine trades in business :)
however, considering what you have, I'd be reluctant to pump any more $$ into it.
go sailing. enjoy the boat for a while.. then experience the 2nd happiest day in a boat owners life.

#7 casc27

casc27

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:20 PM

It's a losing proposition: You will always spend more on maintenance/upgrades than you will recoup at sale. The only reason to do stuff like this is to make the boat the way you want it. Do it if it's for you. If you are planning on selling, just sell it.

#8 prof_mariner

prof_mariner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:48 PM

In my experience, if you got the boat for a fair price then when it comes time to sell it the most you can hope for is to sell it for what you paid. You won't get any more for the boat because of upgrades you've made, but it will make your boat easier to sell when it comes time. Also, when looking at advertised prices for a boat keep in mind those are -asking- prices not what they end up being sold for.

#9 Jim Conlin

Jim Conlin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts
  • Interests:Function and elegance

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:27 PM

There are about 14 Pearson 323's on Yachtworld at prices from $19.9K to $32.5K.
The cheapest one looks very nice.
I'd consider that improvements are for my own enjoyment and pride of ownership.

#10 Cavelamb

Cavelamb

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:14 PM

thanks all!

In the end, what you will get for your money is - experience.

Just like everybody else gets.

Most of us buy sailboats for the experience of sailing them.
We KNOW it's going to be a financial loss before buying it.
We just look the other way there.
Or accept that as the price for the sailing pleasure gained.
After all, it IS a depreciating commodity.

Your experience it likely going to be purely financial...
With no sailing experience for the cost of it.

:(

#11 Knosaj

Knosaj

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:24 AM

Yup, just what I thought.

#12 -Julian-

-Julian-

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:45 AM

Why paint it? it'll just make it heavier anyways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users