13 replies to this topic

#1 Mistaken

Mistaken

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:53 PM

Has anyone out there experienced issues with the ActiSense NGW-1-ISO (The RS-232 version). I am trying to put high-speed 10Hz GPS data 115200,8N and it will only work up to 4800 baud, yet the manual states that is will run to at least 115200.

In talking with the distributor they say that 4800 is all it will do, but this doesn't seem right as the USB version works great and easily handles high speed data. Anyone out there have any ideas?

#2 mowgli

mowgli

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:55 PM

Has anyone out there experienced issues with the ActiSense NGW-1-ISO (The RS-232 version). I am trying to put high-speed 10Hz GPS data 115200,8N and it will only work up to 4800 baud, yet the manual states that is will run to at least 115200.

In talking with the distributor they say that 4800 is all it will do, but this doesn't seem right as the USB version works great and easily handles high speed data. Anyone out there have any ideas?

I can alter the speed with the program from actisense (nmeareader).
The manual you refer to is that the gps or the actisense

#3 Mistaken

Mistaken

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:53 AM

So here is the scoop -- the Actisense will work at faster baud rates if you use the software programming tool to step up the baud rate (something they don't clearly explain) -- however, for some odd reason which they claim is to maintain compatibility with the N2K standard it will only output the position at 1 Hz -- yes you read that right, 1 freeking Hz.

Now the USB version of their same interface unit will operate much faster, so why 1 Hz is beyond me -- perhaps someone out there can enlighten me, or even better suggest a solution to get 10 Hz GPS data onto an N2K bus...

#4 mowgli

mowgli

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:35 AM

So here is the scoop -- the Actisense will work at faster baud rates if you use the software programming tool to step up the baud rate (something they don't clearly explain) -- however, for some odd reason which they claim is to maintain compatibility with the N2K standard it will only output the position at 1 Hz -- yes you read that right, 1 freeking Hz.

Now the USB version of their same interface unit will operate much faster, so why 1 Hz is beyond me -- perhaps someone out there can enlighten me, or even better suggest a solution to get 10 Hz GPS data onto an N2K bus...

How about the ais firmware fore the NGW iso?

#5 Mistaken

Mistaken

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 02:52 PM

I haven't looked at this, but I finally heard back from Actisense in that they have a "firmware" issue with the RS-232 version which doesn't let it operate faster than 1 Hz -- bummer! The USB version however works very well and is directly supported by Expedition...

#6 diggler

diggler

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 07:44 AM

Fuck. I just ordered an NGW last week. After several emails and a phone call with one of their engineers to clarify how the NGW worked, I came away with the very clear understanding that data could be put onto the 2000 bus faster than 1hz, provided that was allowed for in the NMEA 2000 specification, which it is for basically all channels. Not going to be very impressed if that turns out to be bullshit.

Do you know if this firmware issue applies to the NMEA version only or does it also apply to the ISO version with the RS232 interface? Is it something that they are working on fixing? I want to make an Arduino spit data onto the 2000 bus. 1hz is fine for now but eventually I want to drive a Simrad autopilot with heading and rate of turn data and that needs to be 10hz. Maybe a Raspberry Pi and the USB version is the way to go instead.

#7 Mistaken

Mistaken

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 01:59 PM

Fuck. I just ordered an NGW last week. After several emails and a phone call with one of their engineers to clarify how the NGW worked, I came away with the very clear understanding that data could be put onto the 2000 bus faster than 1hz, provided that was allowed for in the NMEA 2000 specification, which it is for basically all channels. Not going to be very impressed if that turns out to be bullshit.

Do you know if this firmware issue applies to the NMEA version only or does it also apply to the ISO version with the RS232 interface? Is it something that they are working on fixing? I want to make an Arduino spit data onto the 2000 bus. 1hz is fine for now but eventually I want to drive a Simrad autopilot with heading and rate of turn data and that needs to be 10hz. Maybe a Raspberry Pi and the USB version is the way to go instead.

The USB version works as advertised (I use this with Expedition), but not the NMEA version. I am not sure about the ISO version...

#8 xyzzy

xyzzy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 04:12 AM

Or get a board with a CAN bus, like the Craneboard, and then maybe you can output NMEA-2000 directly without a converter.

#9 diggler

diggler

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:03 AM

xyzzy, either you are an electrical engineering wiz and don't see any major challenges with your suggestion or you haven't researched the problem enough to grasp the magnitude of it. I definitely will not be going that route.

#10 xyzzy

xyzzy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 05:21 PM

I've only done CAN bus in cars. What is so hard about NMEA2000?

#11 diggler

diggler

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:22 PM

It is a closed and expensive specification that, particularly in comparison to 0183, is a good deal more complicated and harder to reverse engineer. What I gather from the people that have tried is that listening is fairly ok but getting something talking with stability and reliability is a big challenge, due to among other things these rapid update packets that are part of the spec but so far not very well reversed engineered.

Bottom line for me is that other people have made interface hardware and supporting software in a range of operating systems at a price I find acceptable that ought to do what I need, so I would rather work on other areas where this is not the case. Or maybe even just go sailing.

#12 russkifan

russkifan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:04 PM

The USB version works as advertised (I use this with Expedition), but not the NMEA version. I am not sure about the ISO version...

I would like to use an Actisense for converting NMEA 2000 PGNs into NMEA0183 sentenses (RS 232 or USB)
But I need the NMEA0183 sentenses more often than by 1 Hz.
If possible as fast/often than the NMEA2000 bus is sending all these informations (not only GPS but also wind datas and STW)

NMEA0183 sentenses are needed for own calculations and calibrations not for driving any NMEA0183 unit.

Ist this possible with a NGW-1-USB?
Is it meanwhile possible with the NGW-1-ISO (RS232)?
Any other suggestions?

#13 GOGO Gadget

GOGO Gadget

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:08 AM

Why not just use a Garmin 19x nmea 2000 antenna? The specs say 10hz NMEA 2000. Garmin updated these antennas this year and they have been very good.

https://buy.garmin.c...=100702&ra=true
https://buy.garmin.c...=288&pID=100686

Seems like a easier solution
Gadget

#14 russkifan

russkifan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:48 AM

Gadget, thanks for your answere.

These devices are not good for me, because I need much more informations than position and SOG only.
I need also wind datas and STW.

For doing own calculations (and own displays) I would prefer to get these datas more often than every second or less (like it comes on NMEA0183 standard bus)
The aim was to find a device which reads NMEA2k and transforms to something I can handle like NMEA0183. (Just listening is needed, not writing back to N2k bus)

Actisense would be perfect and easy to install (I am sailing chartered boats on several regattas) and I wanted to avoid to build an own NMEA2k-Converter with a µC.......

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users