128 replies to this topic

#1 sarasailor

sarasailor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:28 PM

Hello Southern California Ocean Racers,

In late 2011 a meeting was held at the Newport Harbor Yacht Club to discuss the future and format of the Ahmanson Cup Series. After much discussion and intense planning, the NHYC Yacht Racing Council has re-tooled the event with the intent shift the focus from buoy racing to a series based in the history and spirit of the original races.

The series will comprise of three, 14 nm, random leg ocean races. The first two, the Hunting Tidelands Race and the Skylark Race will be held on April 21 -22 and the series will wrap up with the NHYC Opening Day Race from Long Beach to Newport Beach.

Also new for 2012 is the introduction of the reverse handicap start (pursuit start). Boats will be assigned a start time according to their PHRF RLC rating and course distance, so that the first boat over the finish line is the winner. There is no math to do on the way to the dock, leaving more time to prepare for the great shore side parties NHYC has planned!

The YRC and Race Office expects to see increased participation and encourages you to spread the word to your friends and area to join us for the new look of the Ahmanson Cup Series. Please enter early as a full entry list this will help us to gain momentum and attract more out of area participants.

Official Online Notice Board:http://goo.gl/DXEWS

Please contact us with any questions.

Sail Fast,

NHYC Race Office
949-723-6870

#2 Vee

Vee

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Interests:Vendettas

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:50 PM

Very interesting. Is this indicative of a growing interest in random leg racing Vs round the buoys in California? I heard that California Yacht Club on Santa Monica Bay has also initiated a new random leg series called the Pacific Cup (series?). Not sure of the full name, although Pacific Cup seems a bit of a misnomer, given the pac Cup race to Hawai'i.

#3 Dude

Dude

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 22 March 2012 - 05:26 PM

The first two days of this series is also part of the Newport High Point Series. The format change in Ahmanson will give a huge boost to local sailing events! THANK YOU NHYC

2012 Highpoint Score Card

Midwinters 66 Series

1. Tango = 11 12 =23
2. Adios = 9 9 =18
3. Violetta= 10 7 =17
4. Reliance= 7 6 = 13
5. PussyCat= 8 4 = 12
6. Lucky Star = 3 8 = 11
7 Amante 11 = 11
7 Old School 10 = 10
9. Hot Ticket= 6 = 6
10. Scavenger = 5 = 5
10. Cirrus= 2 3 =5
12 Axigent 5 =5
13. TNT = 4 =4
14. Baraka 2 =2
15. Sting = 1 =1
15 Whiplash 1 =1

#4 sumpin

sumpin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,922 posts
  • Interests:scallop mining and rudder fairing
    stair falling book cover mending

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:13 PM

"boost to sailing events".nobody that prefers racing to sailing likes the change, nobody
I guess it works for the beer can crowd on mostly 25 year old boats toss in a few J's. Sailing it is, racing it is NOT.
Pathetic state in Newport.
NOOD was nice, Yachting Cup is nice, Ahmanson?
Pursuit start, serious? start you engines !

#5 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:04 PM

In late 2011 a meeting was held at the Newport Harbor Yacht Club to discuss the future and format of the Ahmanson Cup Series. After much discussion and intense planning, the NHYC Yacht Racing Council has re-tooled the event with the intent shift the focus from buoy racing to a series based in the history and spirit of the original races.

The series will comprise of three, 14 nm, random leg ocean races. The first two, the Hunting Tidelands Race and the Skylark Race will be held on April 21 -22 and the series will wrap up with the NHYC Opening Day Race from Long Beach to Newport Beach.

Also new for 2012 is the introduction of the reverse handicap start (pursuit start). Boats will be assigned a start time according to their PHRF RLC rating and course distance, so that the first boat over the finish line is the winner. There is no math to do on the way to the dock, leaving more time to prepare for the great shore side parties NHYC has planned!

The YRC and Race Office expects to see increased participation and encourages you to spread the word to your friends and area to join us for the new look of the Ahmanson Cup Series. Please enter early as a full entry list this will help us to gain momentum and attract more out of area participants.

Sail Fast,

NHYC Race Office
949-723-6870

You have turned a race oriented regatta of many years into a cruising event. Why are you doing that?

BYC made a huge mistake by not going to a "race week" format - look at their participation. A few old slugs pushing water. No competition, nothing exciting, reaching around eating sandwiches. Fun, fun, fun.

You wonder why there is less and less participation? It's cruisers like you trying to run events and you screw it up. See the Ensenada Race for other details. Is NHYC going to allow the use of engines? How 'bout a cuising class?

#6 Somebody Else

Somebody Else

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,946 posts
  • Interests:Shootings, just like HotRod!

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:28 PM

In other news, BCYC has changed the format of the Angelman series from random leg to Windward/Leeward. Exactly the opposite.

The first set of 3 races was two weeks ago. 1.5-mile weather legs, twice around, made for lots of gear-changing and definitely lots of sailing fun.

Saturday is another set of 3 races. The series concludes April 14.

Ahmanson Cup used to carry some weight...

People used to make the trip from out of town.
I don't see that happening for yet another beer-can reach-around. There is already that sort of race every single weekend and, during summer, every single day. The change in format is puzzling.

#7 some dude

some dude

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,996 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 12:12 AM

Sail Fast,

NHYC Race Office
949-723-6870

You have turned a race oriented regatta of many years into a cruising event. Why are you doing that?

BYC made a huge mistake by not going to a "race week" format - look at their participation. A few old slugs pushing water. No competition, nothing exciting, reaching around eating sandwiches. Fun, fun, fun.

You wonder why there is less and less participation? It's cruisers like you trying to run events and you screw it up. See the Ensenada Race for other details. Is NHYC going to allow the use of engines? How 'bout a cuising class?

well, the door just opened. change the 66 to a W/L regatta and it'll be the only one in town.

#8 Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 12:31 AM

Sail Fast,

NHYC Race Office
949-723-6870

Don't agree with this move. Changing from what was once a respected event to this will pretty much assure reducing it to a local regatta. Having done this regatta a few times I always got the impression that the NHYC members weren't crazy about having racers around. I suppose this will make them happy.

#9 sumpin

sumpin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 02:34 AM

Those pesky sailing guys

#10 opusone

opusone

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 02:58 AM

Sail Fast,

NHYC Race Office
949-723-6870

Geez - Here I am agreeing with DoRag again. I am also disappointed that NHYC changed their venue. Perhaps BYC will step up and start a new buoy event.

Cheers,

opusone

#11 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 01:14 PM

Sail Fast,

NHYC Race Office
949-723-6870

Geez - Here I am agreeing with DoRag again. I am also disappointed that NHYC changed their venue. Perhaps BYC will step up and start a new buoy event.

Cheers,

opusone

Oh, the horror.

Or perhaps BYC will replace the failing 66 with a race weekend...

#12 Janer

Janer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,644 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 03:51 PM

UGH! Random leg? Pursuit races so that the RC doesn't have to "do the math"? Welcome to Cruising World. There will probably be a new Mac26 fleet popping up soon at NHYC.

#13 Dude

Dude

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 04:05 PM

We all agree that keel boat participation is at an all time low throughout Southern California? Rather than continuing down a route with diminished results let's work our niche and return to the basics. Club racing and harbor championships is one way to renew interest and rebuild from the ground up.

I have watched more than one fleet crumble apart because there was no effort made to support the newbs of the fleet. Grand Prix events have their place, I just think its time to plant some new vines?

@ Rag, Just wondering what events in SD are you chairing this year and how are you giving back to the sport?

@ Opusone, You sailed in the Border Run in predicted light winds and passed on your own clubs race with big breeze? I know for a fact you are a lot smarter person than I am, but in my simple mind, I do not see how your choice of events promotes local sailing. Please do not take me wrong, you are one of the few boat owners "Two boat owner" that can participate in this arena. I just hope you decide to sail in more Newport events.

#14 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 04:13 PM

We all agree that keel boat participation is at an all time low throughout Southern California? Rather than continuing down a route with diminished results let's work our niche and return to the basics. Club racing and harbor championships is one way to renew interest and rebuild from the ground up.

I have watched more than one fleet crumble apart because there was no effort made to support the newbs of the fleet. Grand Prix events have their place, I just think its time to plant some new vines?

@ Rag, Just wounding what events in SD are you chairing this year and how are you giving back to the sport?

Well, to be honest. I'm not "wounding" any events.

Also, as you very well know, I have given up trying to change anything locally and refuse to play the political game necessary to influence anything. As you also know, I "gave back" much, much more than most in years past. I did my part.

Now, I'm heading off to catch some rainbows and browns, with a nice yellow lab and no politics.

#15 notallthere

notallthere

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,662 posts
  • Interests:any sport that starts with S

Posted 23 March 2012 - 04:29 PM

Sailing conditions generally suck in Newport Beach. That's all there is to it.

#16 Dude

Dude

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 04:36 PM

Rag,
Thats just my point. I returned back to small boat racing and it's recharging my interest in the sport. Last Wednesday night, I organized a Team race event and had a blast. Hell, after the event I had as much fun in the bar hanging out with the participants then I did on the race course.

@Notall, Yea, Last weekend we had 30+ knots of breeze, which lead to a most memorable down wind run. That was the second race this season we were running in breeze over 25.

#17 opusone

opusone

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 05:51 PM

@ Rag, Just wounding what events in SD are you chairing this year and how are you giving back to the sport?

Also, as you very well know, I have given up trying to change anything locally and refuse to play the political game necessary to influence anything. As you also know, I "gave back" much, much more than most in years past. I did my part.

Now, I'm heading off to catch some rainbows and browns, with a nice yellow lab and no politics.

DoRag -

Can I come? Apparently I make the wrong choices - so stream fishing with you seems appropriate behavior for me. But it just does not seem like the wrong choice....

As for the Border Run - my crew wanted to do the race. Simple as that.

Cheers,

opusone

#18 notallthere

notallthere

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,662 posts
  • Interests:any sport that starts with S

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:38 PM

Rag,
Thats just my point. I returned back to small boat racing and it's recharging my interest in the sport. Last Wednesday night, I organized a Team race event and had a blast. Hell, after the event I had as much fun in the bar hanging out with the participants then I did on the race course.

@Notall, Yea, Last weekend we had 30+ knots of breeze, which lead to a most memorable down wind run. That was the second race this season we were running in breeze over 25.

But even you know that much breeze is not typical... It's just hard for me to get excited about a driftathon in Newport. Which is why I avoid Ahmanson. I am fully on board with you comment re: small boats.

#19 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:17 PM

DoRag -

Can I come? Apparently I make the wrong choices - so stream fishing with you seems appropriate behavior for me. But it just does not seem like the wrong choice....

As for the Border Run - my crew wanted to do the race. Simple as that.

Cheers,

opusone

In retrospect, years ago I probably spent far too much time sailing, to the exclusion of other sports. Now it's the other way around.

The fishing today was awesome, to borrow a Val Girl phrase. There is a very short and highly productive time of the year in the mountains when the snow is melting, the days are warmer, the fish come out of their semi-hiberation state. That time is now. No one is one the rivers. Once the spring flood starts, all of this changes and one has to wait until the summer. The downside to early season fishing is that my dog reverts back to being a puppy, swims and splashes around, scares the fish, and climbs onto my leather seats, all wet, with a sheephish grin on his face.

Life is good - especially for him.

#20 JustDroppingBy

JustDroppingBy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,575 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 05:43 PM

Seems like the new format will do two things potentially... first one is to stop being a feeder regatta for getting race boats into Newport for the N2E the next weekend. Second is to maybe get more cruiser boats into Newport earlier for the same.

#21 Somebody Else

Somebody Else

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,946 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 06:38 PM

To repeat:

2012 Angelman Series out of BCYC has been changed this year from yet-another-random-leg-reach-around to all windward/leewards.
The 2nd regatta of 3 was yesterday. There was between 7-12 knots of wind... around that general velocity. Not much but enough to keep moving.

Generally poor participation, but Class B had 7 boats with plenty of opportunities for tactics, enough windshifts to make you think about where you needed to be, passing lanes, tight roundings, etc. Any one of the top 4 boats could have won it going into the last race.

The third regatta of three races in April 14. Come out. More is better!

#22 condor

condor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 06:18 PM

To repeat:

2012 Angelman Series out of BCYC has been changed this year from yet-another-random-leg-reach-around to all windward/leewards.
The 2nd regatta of 3 was yesterday. There was between 7-12 knots of wind... around that general velocity. Not much but enough to keep moving.

Generally poor participation, but Class B had 7 boats with plenty of opportunities for tactics, enough windshifts to make you think about where you needed to be, passing lanes, tight roundings, etc. Any one of the top 4 boats could have won it going into the last race.

The third regatta of three races in April 14. Come out. More is better!

If you put the third event on the weekend before N2E, I'll come next year. We like having an event there the weekend before. Might pick up some Ahmanson boats that want to race W-L.

#23 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 06:22 PM

Seems like the new format will do two things potentially... first one is to stop being a feeder regatta for getting race boats into Newport for the N2E the next weekend. Second is to maybe get more cruiser boats into Newport earlier for the same.

One major problem with N2E is that the cruisers now own the event. So the Ahmanmson change will encourage more of the cruisers. And less and less of the remaining "racers" will want to go. Nice!

#24 sunseeker

sunseeker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 06:52 PM

One major problem with N2E is that the cruisers now own the event. So the Ahmanmson change will encourage more of the cruisers. And less and less of the remaining "racers" will want to go. Nice!

One of major problems with the N2E is there are not enough women involved. Woodies ancient bloated Cougars do not count. Probably what is needed is a predicted log race, and get all of the NHYC Tiara fleet involved. There's a new to the area Tiara over at BCYC too, owned by a sailboat racer of some reknown. Tiara's attract party girls. Sailing needs more party girls. Maybe a N2E fishing tournament, but not for trout. Trout are bait. Woodies cougars tend to smell like old trout anyway, so maybe he already has brought bait to a sailing race.

#25 some dude

some dude

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,996 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:11 PM

One of major problems with the N2E is there are not enough women involved. Woodies ancient bloated Cougars do not count. Probably what is needed is a predicted log race, and get all of the NHYC Tiara fleet involved. There's a new to the area Tiara over at BCYC too, owned by a sailboat racer of some reknown. Tiara's attract party girls. Sailing needs more party girls. Maybe a N2E fishing tournament, but not for trout. Trout are bait. Woodies cougars tend to smell like old trout anyway, so maybe he already has brought bait to a sailing race.

trouser trout?

#26 sunseeker

sunseeker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:33 PM

trouser trout?

Truth be told, the Ahmanson is a meaningless series to NHYC. I say that, and I like NHYC. The only thing that really matters at NHYC is Opening Day. Best quality females in all of Socal show up. Most on SA would not understand NHYC Opening Day, but that's ok, NHYC doesn't care. They figured out how get to get the hotties to show up without the burden of running a sailboat race. I'm pretty sure if you went to UCLA you are not allowed on the grounds of NHYC on Opening Day. Only Trojan's are allowed. Fight on.

#27 some dude

some dude

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,996 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:07 PM

trouser trout?

Truth be told, the Ahmanson is a meaningless series to NHYC. I say that, and I like NHYC. The only thing that really matters at NHYC is Opening Day. Best quality females in all of Socal show up. Most on SA would not understand NHYC Opening Day, but that's ok, NHYC doesn't care. They figured out how get to get the hotties to show up without the burden of running a sailboat race. I'm pretty sure if you went to UCLA you are not allowed on the grounds of NHYC on Opening Day. Only Trojan's are allowed. Fight on.

plus all the scruffy sailboats take up the parking area for the picnic boats. plus you can't wear pants with little whales on them on sailboats

#28 sunseeker

sunseeker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:25 PM

I believe DoRag wears pants with little trout on them. People at NHYC think DoRag is ok. Many of them employ his personal process server, Mr. Arturo Nes Pas. DoRag likes NHYC because there are no foreigners and no one uses emoticons, except the hot girls when they are texting each other about the party that Biff Farnsworth IV is having at his parents house on Harbor Island.

#29 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:29 PM

I believe DoRag wears pants with little trout on them. People at NHYC think DoRag is ok. Many of them employ his personal process server, Mr. Arturo Nes Pas. DoRag likes NHYC because there are no foreigners and no one uses emoticons, except the hot girls when they are texting each other about the party that Biff Farnsworth IV is having at his parents house on Harbor Island.

Exactly.

I also have salmon colored pants with little whales on them.

You're just PO'd as Buffy and Biff didn't invite you. Deal with it.

#30 sunseeker

sunseeker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:39 PM

Exactly.

Actually, Muffin Farnsworth and I are sort of an item. We are passing on Opening Day this year, going to her folks house in Maui, while they are in the desert. Buffy and Biff aren't doing so well these days, they put on a good act, for the kids of course. Something about the Opti coach and Buffy. I try to stay out of it.

Maybe the Ahmanson ought to be rededicated to Harbor 20's.

#31 some dude

some dude

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,996 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:46 PM

Exactly.

yeah but the pheasant blood ruins the effect. and I'm pretty sure you don't have any pink shirts except formerly white shirts that you tried to wash yourself

#32 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:01 PM

Exactly.

Actually, Muffin Farnsworth and I are sort of an item. We are passing on Opening Day this year, going to her folks house in Maui, while they are in the desert. Buffy and Biff aren't doing so well these days, they put on a good act, for the kids of course. Something about the Opti coach and Buffy. I try to stay out of it.

Jeebers. No!

Muffy was caught doin' the pool man, Arturo Nes Pas (who is relegated to cleaning pools awaiting the time when he will unleashed to serve all the SA John Does - after the resolution of the current appeal -which M Kennedy continues to delay not wanting to face the ultimate outcome). Whew!

Anyway, all that aside, Muffy Farnsworth was caught in the act. Arturo ran out the window, sprining his wrist, muttering in some Korean dialect. Biff and Buffy were appalled and spilled their drinks all over the carpet that Arturo had just installed (yes, Arturo is indeed that versatile). Meanwhile, Biff's twin pair of Doberman's bit Arturo in the ass. He has contacted M Kennedy for legal advise but M Kennedy was preoccupied as he was trying to hit on Buffy's niece, who had previously rejected M Kennedy.

So, you see, just how screwed the Ahmanson really is.

#33 some dude

some dude

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,996 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:26 AM

Exactly.

Jeebers. No!

Muffy was caught doin' the pool man, Arturo Nes Pas (who is relegated to cleaning pools awaiting the time when he will unleashed to serve all the SA John Does - after the resolution of the current appeal -which M Kennedy continues to delay not wanting to face the ultimate outcome). Whew!

Anyway, all that aside, Muffy Farnsworth was caught in the act. Arturo ran out the window, sprining his wrist, muttering in some Korean dialect. Biff and Buffy were appalled and spilled their drinks all over the carpet that Arturo had just installed (yes, Arturo is indeed that versatile). Meanwhile, Biff's twin pair of Doberman's bit Arturo in the ass. He has contacted M Kennedy for legal advise but M Kennedy was preoccupied as he was trying to hit on Buffy's niece, who had previously rejected M Kennedy.

So, you see, just how screwed the Ahmanson really is.

jeez no wonder they won't let any of that crowd into the club any more. boat polishing contests are much, much more orderly.

#34 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:04 AM

Opening Day has become the major activity of most yacht clubs. Trophies are awardfed to those who pay to have their boats cleaned up.

Quite a contest! Long live yachting...

#35 sunseeker

sunseeker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:40 AM

Opening Day has become the major activity of most yacht clubs. Trophies are awardfed to those who pay to have their boats cleaned up.

Perhaps Mr, Nes Pas could get some additional work prepping boats for Opening Day, though I am pretty sure that NHYC does not allow Jboats at their facility so he can't make use of your longboard client list. However, Harbor 20's are in big demand there.

Ahmanson series should have points scored for how clean every boat is. Or perhaps Ahmanson should be for Tiara skippers at the Sandab tournament over at Moonstone. Tie it to a Jarts events, and you'd be talking about big fun.

#36 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 01:06 PM

Perhaps Mr, Nes Pas could get some additional work prepping boats for Opening Day, though I am pretty sure that NHYC does not allow Jboats at their facility so he can't make use of your longboard client list. However, Harbor 20's are in big demand there.

Ahmanson series should have points scored for how clean every boat is. Or perhaps Ahmanson should be for Tiara skippers at the Sandab tournament over at Moonstone. Tie it to a Jarts events, and you'd be talking about big fun.

Are you suggesting that it's time to Occupy NHYC?

#37 sunseeker

sunseeker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:37 PM

Are you suggesting that it's time to Occupy NHYC?

What would Occupy NHYC look like? Real Estate agents posting all their open house signs along West Bay trying to sell underwater Newport Beach homes. Or perhaps someone ought to find the infamous "Chocolate Thunder" and motor on over to their dock, precisely at dinner time on Friday night.

But we digress, back to Ahmanson, and the failure of all clubs in Newport Beach if not Socal to generate critical mass of racing sailors around one format of racing substantial enough to generate quality fleets that sail within a relatively narrow rating band. The few regattas that approach even 75 boats, but with 7 or more classes is a shell of what racing used to be. N2E is a race for sailors that like to turn on their engine mid race.

NHYC does several things well, racing right in front of their clubhouse, or big grand events. Oh yes, Tiara fishing trips and yacht polishing events too. Opening Day is sailings answer to the Kentucky Derby, Indy 500, Super Bowl, and Oscar VIP parties all wrapped up into one. The Farnsworth's attend, when they are in town. The Underhill's even fly in on occassion. Bruins not allowed on the grounds, only Trojans. Fight on.

The Ahmanson is neither. NHYC demeans the good name of the Ahmanson family with an event of this non-stature. Neither the Farnsworth or Underhill's approve. What exactly is a random leg course anyway?

NHYC should stick to what it does best, exclusive events for the 1% of the 1%. Ahmanson should be a regatta for classic yachts, well polished. Think Chubby, Olinka and Windward Passage.

#38 sunseeker

sunseeker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:52 PM

For those who are unaware of the prominence of the Ahmanson family in Los Angeles, here is the info that Wiki provides.

Howard F. Ahmanson, Sr. (1906–1968), born in Omaha, Nebraska.

Financier and founder of an insurance and savings and loan association, H.F. Ahmanson & Co., Howard F. Ahmanson, Sr. was also a philanthropist who made his fortune during theGreat Depression selling fire insurance for property under foreclosure. He also bought real estate and invested in oil. Enlisting in the Navy in 1943, he spent a year in Washington, DC as a procurement officer. After returning to Los Angeles in 1945, he began investing in savings and loans. In 1947, he bought Home Building and Loan (later known as Home Savings). In an era when state and federal regulations limited branching, Ahmanson and his top executive, Kenneth D. Childs took advantage of the home construction and real estate boom around Los Angeles to make Home Savings and Loan the largest thrift in the United States.

Involved with the California Republican Party since the mid-1930s, Ahmanson began to take a more active role in 1954 when his long-time friend Goodwin Knight ran for governor.[1] With the national Republican convention slated to be held in San Francisco in 1956 and the possibility that two favorite sons—Knight and Richard Nixon—might be running for president, Ahmanson became the focal point for a bitter fight within the party when Knight picked him to become vice chairman of the party. Although Ahmanson was elected to the position, the fight further poisoned the relationship between Knight and Nixon. After a heart attack, Ahmanson was forced to relinquish the position and withdraw from political leadership.

Beginning in the mid-1950s, Ahmanson began to play a major role in the cultural life of Los Angeles. He served on the board of the Museum of Science and Industry, helped found the support organization for the Los Angeles County Art Institute (also known as the Otis Art Institute), gave $2 million to help fund the construction of the Los Angeles County Museum of Art, provided a major gift to support construction of the Music Center, and provided generous funding to his alma mater, the University of Southern California. He gave $1 million in 1962 to help fund the development of a biosciences research center.[2]

Ahmanson also influenced the cultural life of southern California when he hired the artist Millard Sheets in 1953 to begin designing Home Savings' branches. Sheets integrated the work of local muralists, ceramic and glass artists into the design of the buildings.

A successful yachtsman, Ahmanson bought his first racing vessel in 1948 and named it Sirius. For years he sailed out of Newport Harbor. He was a multiple winner of the San Diego to Acapulco Race. In 1961, he and his crew aboard the Sirius II won the Transpac race to Honolulu. His crew included USC President Norman Topping, as well as the architect William Pereira.

Married in 1933 to Dorothy Johnston Grannis, Ahmanson had one son, Howard F. Ahmanson, Jr. Grannis and Ahmanson divorced in 1962. In 1965, he married Caroline Leonetti, a well-known charm and fashion expert who was a regular on the Art Linkletter show.

Ahmanson died on June 17, 1968 while traveling with his wife and son in Belgium. Numerous heirs inherited part of his fortune. A major portion of his assets went to the Ahmanson Foundation in Los Angeles.

He's buried at Forest Lawn Memorial Park, Glendale.

Here is the type of yacht for which the Ahmanson series was created, the M class. Stunning big brothers to the 12 Meter.

http://www.universal...ndex.php?page=1

Given this history of the trophy donor, NHYC is content with a random leg PHRF race for ancient old tupperware boats?

#39 sumpin

sumpin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 03:03 AM

and while we all bitch:
" we did it for OUR members even after last years success" is the "story"?
I guess NH will now be defined by Harbor 20 events and a few shinny picnic boats
neat, real neat
CABO anyone?

#40 opusone

opusone

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 03:26 AM

and while we all bitch:
I guess NH will now be defined by Harbor 20 events and a few shinny picnic boats
neat, real neat
CABO anyone?

This is last years fleet - not too many random leg racers in this bunch.

2011 Ahmanson Cup Regatta

Newport Harbor YC

Results as of 14:04 on June 9, 2011 PRELIMINARY

Farr 40 Fleet

Sailed: 6, Discards: 0, To count: 6, Ratings: TCF, Entries: 10, Scoring system: Appendix A
Rank Boat SailNo Club HelmName TCF R1 R2 R3 R4 R5 R6 Total Nett
1st Dark Star 80808 CYC Jeff Janov 2 3 1 1 1 1 9 9
2nd Piranha USA 51483 CYC David Voss 3 2 5 RDG-2 2 2 16 16
3rd FAR NIENTE USA37 CYC Frederic Scheer 1 6 2 2 3 3 17 17
4th chayah 7969 ABYC oscar - chris krinsky - redman 6 4 3 5 4 4 26 26
6th Woolly Bully 40033 LBYC Durant Shew 9 5 8 8 5 7 42 42
5th Temptress 40050 LBYC Ray Godwin 5 1 SCP-7 3 6 5 27 27
8th Twisted 40046 StFYC M. Tony Pohl 4 10 9 4 7 DNS 45 45
9th White Knight 888 CBYC Zoltan Katinszky 10 8 10 6 8 DNS 53 53
7th Radical Departure 50060 BYC Joe Carter 7 9 6 7 9 6 44 44
10th JoAnn 46957 SlBYC Steve Murphy 8 7 7 DNF DNS DNS 55 55

Farr 30 Fleet

Sailed: 6, Discards: 0, To count: 6, Ratings: TCF, Entries: 5, Scoring system: Appendix A
1st Babe 20 SBSC Mike Hanna 3 2 1 2 1 DNC 15 15
2nd Huckleberry2 USA 15 KHYC Jim Murrell 1 3 3 3 2 DNC 18 18
4th Habanero USA 61 BYC Mark Rosene 4 1 4 4 3 DNC 22 22
5th Frequent Flyer 52 SCCYC Steve Arkle DNC DNC DNC DNC DNC DNC 36 36
3rd Wild Thing 14 BCYC Rhonda Tolar 2 4 2 1 DNF DNC 21 21

Schock 35 Fleet

Sailed: 5, Discards: 0, To count: 5, Ratings: TCF, Entries: 8, Scoring system: Appendix A
Rank Boat SailNo Club HelmName TCF R1 R2 R3 R4 R5 Total Nett
1st MAKO 97789 ABYC David Michaelis 1 4 1 2 1 9 9
2nd Outlier 87694 SlBYC Richard Fish 3 2 3 1 2 11 11
4th Strategem 97974 SlBYC Mark Hinrichs 6 6 8 3 3 26 26
3rd Code Blue 98766 SlBYC & ABYC Bruce & Bob Bennett & Marcus DNF 1 2 4 4 20 20
5th Impulse 42439 ABYC Duphily-Kramer- Benjamin 5 7 4 5 5 26 26
6th SHAMAN 87879 CRA Joe Braun 7 5 6 6 6 30 30
7th Shaka 97306 CRA Larry Emerson 2 8 5 DNC 7 31 31
8th WHISTLER 46078 BYC PETE JOHNSTONE 4 3 7 DNC DNS 32 32

IRC Fleet

Sailed: 5, Discards: 0, To count: 5, Ratings: TCF, Entries: 6, Scoring system: Appendix A
1st MAYHEM 2241 Ashley Wolfe 1.373 13:25:05 14:58:14 16:36:31 13:33:51 15:40:46 8 8
3rd Rio 2121 SYC Manouch Moshayedi 1.376 13:27:50 14:57:57 16:37:58 13:37:49 15:41:34 15 15
5th Stark Raving Mad V 52006 NHYC Jim Madden 1.371 13:29:09 14:58:55 16:37:33 13:39:29 15:42:21 22 22
4th Valkyrie 56718 SDYC Andy Rasdal 1.37 13:26:14 14:58:47 16:34:40 13:40:49 15:44:44 16 16
2nd Rebel Yell USA 52005 NHYC David Team 1.37 13:27:06 14:58:05 16:37:22 13:38:53 15:48:17 15 15
6th Cazador 28385 SDYC Ernie Pennell 1.358 13:29:23 15:01:24 16:40:52 DNF DNS 31 31

PH 1 Fleet

Sailed: 5, Discards: 0, To count: 5, Ratings: TCF, Entries: 6, Scoring system: Appendix A
4th GRAND ILLUSION USA97 KHYC Edward McDowell 1.143 13:33:41 15:07:00 16:45:48 13:48:05 15:42:19 19 19
3rd Alchemy 97999 OYC Per Peterson 1.143 13:34:31 15:04:41 16:44:49 13:46:36 15:43:03 15 15
2nd It's OK 7249 BYC Tres Gordo 1.096 13:36:29 15:07:13 16:46:27 15:50:16 15:45:34 13 13
1st Blue Blazes 5055 SDYC Dennis Pennell 1.070 13:38:21 15:07:38 16:48:31 13:53:53 15:45:51 7 7
5th Locomotion 46860 LBYC Locomotion Racing LLC 1.046 13:43:17 15:10:24 16:51:45 14:00:46 15:50:47 21 21
6th Emirage II 48003 ABYC David Bassett-Parkins 1.058 13:42:20 15:11:43 16:51:48 DNS DNS 32 32

PH 2 Fleet

Sailed: 5, Discards: 0, To count: 5, Ratings: TCF, Entries: 9, Scoring system: Appendix A
1st Resolute 51517 SDYC Tim Fuller 0.995 13:47:35 15:14:19 16:48:11 13:33:15 15:24:01 7 7
2nd Entropy 50400 BYC Chris Hemans 0.973 13:48:15 15:14:50 16:49:48 13:37:25 15:26:39 9 9
3rd Adios 46638 BYC Peter Bretschger 0.920 13:58:24 15:19:37 16:54:01 13:47:00 15:36:36 18 18
5th TWISTER 46705 ALYC JAMES WERT 0.968 13:55:01 15:18:30 16:52:13 DNF 15:37:26 29 29
4th Aquabella 679 CYC Dan McGanty 0.876 14:10:06 15:27:13 16:57:18 13:44:56 15:44:56 25 25
7th Pussycat 67507 BCYC John Szalay 0.821 14:17:26 15:33:32 17:01:46 DNS DNS 42 42
6th Power Point USA 115 DPYC Biff Bunney 0.920 13:56:54 15:22:36 16:53:43 DNS DNS 31 31
8th Charisma V 46441 BYC Cameron Hausman 0.911 DNF 15:24:05 16:58:41 DNF DNS 45 45
9th Lickity Split 67715 BCYC Joe Degenhardt 0.828 DNF 15:38:13 17:02:42 DNS DNS 47 47

#41 sunseeker

sunseeker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 04:03 AM

and while we all bitch:
neat, real neat
CABO anyone?

WTF is a "random leg racer" anyway?

Some new Olympic sport where one of your legs just goes a random direction at some random time while in a running or jumping event?

No wonder DoRag took up killing trout. And wearing salmon colored pants with whales on them.

My eyes bleed when I read the crappy names that this sport gives its events. It is embarrassing. Random leg racing? No wonder Muffy Farnsworth thinks this sailing stuff sucks. Golf in the desert anyone? Underhills are paying the greens fees.

#42 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 01:51 PM

and while we all bitch:
neat, real neat
CABO anyone?

2011 Ahmanson Cup Regatta

Newport Harbor YC

Results as of 14:04 on June 9, 2011 PRELIMINARY

Farr 40 Fleet

Sailed: 6, Discards: 0, To count: 6, Ratings: TCF, Entries: 10, Scoring system: Appendix A
1st Dark Star 80808 CYC Jeff Janov 2 3 1 1 1 1 9 9
2nd Piranha USA 51483 CYC David Voss 3 2 5 RDG-2 2 2 16 16
3rd FAR NIENTE USA37 CYC Frederic Scheer 1 6 2 2 3 3 17 17
4th chayah 7969 ABYC oscar - chris krinsky - redman 6 4 3 5 4 4 26 26
6th Woolly Bully 40033 LBYC Durant Shew 9 5 8 8 5 7 42 42
5th Temptress 40050 LBYC Ray Godwin 5 1 SCP-7 3 6 5 27 27
8th Twisted 40046 StFYC M. Tony Pohl 4 10 9 4 7 DNS 45 45
9th White Knight 888 CBYC Zoltan Katinszky 10 8 10 6 8 DNS 53 53
7th Radical Departure 50060 BYC Joe Carter 7 9 6 7 9 6 44 44
10th JoAnn 46957 SlBYC Steve Murphy 8 7 7 DNF DNS DNS 55 55

Farr 30 Fleet

Sailed: 6, Discards: 0, To count: 6, Ratings: TCF, Entries: 5, Scoring system: Appendix A
1st Babe 20 SBSC Mike Hanna 3 2 1 2 1 DNC 15 15
2nd Huckleberry2 USA 15 KHYC Jim Murrell 1 3 3 3 2 DNC 18 18
4th Habanero USA 61 BYC Mark Rosene 4 1 4 4 3 DNC 22 22
5th Frequent Flyer 52 SCCYC Steve Arkle DNC DNC DNC DNC DNC DNC 36 36
3rd Wild Thing 14 BCYC Rhonda Tolar 2 4 2 1 DNF DNC 21 21

Schock 35 Fleet

Sailed: 5, Discards: 0, To count: 5, Ratings: TCF, Entries: 8, Scoring system: Appendix A
1st MAKO 97789 ABYC David Michaelis 1 4 1 2 1 9 9
2nd Outlier 87694 SlBYC Richard Fish 3 2 3 1 2 11 11
4th Strategem 97974 SlBYC Mark Hinrichs 6 6 8 3 3 26 26
3rd Code Blue 98766 SlBYC & ABYC Bruce & Bob Bennett & Marcus DNF 1 2 4 4 20 20
5th Impulse 42439 ABYC Duphily-Kramer- Benjamin 5 7 4 5 5 26 26
6th SHAMAN 87879 CRA Joe Braun 7 5 6 6 6 30 30
7th Shaka 97306 CRA Larry Emerson 2 8 5 DNC 7 31 31
8th WHISTLER 46078 BYC PETE JOHNSTONE 4 3 7 DNC DNS 32 32

IRC Fleet

1st MAYHEM 2241 Ashley Wolfe 1.373 13:25:05 14:58:14 16:36:31 13:33:51 15:40:46 8 8
3rd Rio 2121 SYC Manouch Moshayedi 1.376 13:27:50 14:57:57 16:37:58 13:37:49 15:41:34 15 15
5th Stark Raving Mad V 52006 NHYC Jim Madden 1.371 13:29:09 14:58:55 16:37:33 13:39:29 15:42:21 22 22
4th Valkyrie 56718 SDYC Andy Rasdal 1.37 13:26:14 14:58:47 16:34:40 13:40:49 15:44:44 16 16
2nd Rebel Yell USA 52005 NHYC David Team 1.37 13:27:06 14:58:05 16:37:22 13:38:53 15:48:17 15 15
6th Cazador 28385 SDYC Ernie Pennell 1.358 13:29:23 15:01:24 16:40:52 DNF DNS 31 31

PH 1 Fleet

4th GRAND ILLUSION USA97 KHYC Edward McDowell 1.143 13:33:41 15:07:00 16:45:48 13:48:05 15:42:19 19 19
3rd Alchemy 97999 OYC Per Peterson 1.143 13:34:31 15:04:41 16:44:49 13:46:36 15:43:03 15 15
2nd It's OK 7249 BYC Tres Gordo 1.096 13:36:29 15:07:13 16:46:27 15:50:16 15:45:34 13 13
1st Blue Blazes 5055 SDYC Dennis Pennell 1.070 13:38:21 15:07:38 16:48:31 13:53:53 15:45:51 7 7
5th Locomotion 46860 LBYC Locomotion Racing LLC 1.046 13:43:17 15:10:24 16:51:45 14:00:46 15:50:47 21 21
6th Emirage II 48003 ABYC David Bassett-Parkins 1.058 13:42:20 15:11:43 16:51:48 DNS DNS 32 32

PH 2 Fleet

Sailed: 5, Discards: 0, To count: 5, Ratings: TCF, Entries: 9, Scoring system: Appendix A
1st Resolute 51517 SDYC Tim Fuller 0.995 13:47:35 15:14:19 16:48:11 13:33:15 15:24:01 7 7
2nd Entropy 50400 BYC Chris Hemans 0.973 13:48:15 15:14:50 16:49:48 13:37:25 15:26:39 9 9
3rd Adios 46638 BYC Peter Bretschger 0.920 13:58:24 15:19:37 16:54:01 13:47:00 15:36:36 18 18
5th TWISTER 46705 ALYC JAMES WERT 0.968 13:55:01 15:18:30 16:52:13 DNF 15:37:26 29 29
4th Aquabella 679 CYC Dan McGanty 0.876 14:10:06 15:27:13 16:57:18 13:44:56 15:44:56 25 25
7th Pussycat 67507 BCYC John Szalay 0.821 14:17:26 15:33:32 17:01:46 DNS DNS 42 42
6th Power Point USA 115 DPYC Biff Bunney 0.920 13:56:54 15:22:36 16:53:43 DNS DNS 31 31
8th Charisma V 46441 BYC Cameron Hausman 0.911 DNF 15:24:05 16:58:41 DNF DNS 45 45
9th Lickity Split 67715 BCYC Joe Degenhardt 0.828 DNF 15:38:13 17:02:42 DNS DNS 47 47

OK.

Now, did you notice that, of all the boats listed, only two (yes 2) were from NHYC, the host club?

The next question is, given a random leg length "race" format, just how many of these boats will return?

I would guess not many, as NHYC wlaks away from a real race format and migrates to an event to placate the cruisers of NHYC.

And we wonder why racing is declining - here is one factor.

#43 fan

fan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,629 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 04:56 PM

I guess I can accept the justification that they had very few NHYC entries and needed to do something. What about getting your members to support your race! It seems like a case of throwing out the baby with the bath water to me. But if you are going to do this why do it on Yachting Cup weekend? Does less total boats but more NHYC boats = Victory? So is a total fleet of 10 but 4 NHYC boats a win? I get most members don't want to do W/L racing (or any racing at all) but why exclude those that do by having it on Yachting Cup weekend?

#44 sumpin

sumpin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:07 PM

yes, see you all at Yachting Cup. Don't get dizzy doing all those turns and leave your predicted log crap at home or on your picnic boat

#45 some dude

some dude

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,996 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:34 PM

yes, see you all at Yachting Cup. Don't get dizzy doing all those turns and leave your predicted log crap at home or on your picnic boat

sorry. can't. I'll be getting my boat ready for a busy season of boat polishing contests and grand prix random leg events.

#46 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:52 PM

sorry. can't. I'll be getting my boat ready for a busy season of boat polishing contests and grand prix random leg events.

The sarcasm drips from your pen like syrup flows from maple trees in the Fall.

Now, where's the polishing rag?

Hey, Benito, get rid of that rust on the turnbuckles.

Paco, you're doing it all wrong, amigo. All screw heads must be aligned in the same direction.

Raul, if I told you once I told you a million times - no boat shoes on the boat...

Gee, I just love opening day! A real test of yachting skill! Handing out Jeffersons takes coordinated hand to eye skills...

#47 JustDroppingBy

JustDroppingBy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,575 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:16 PM

But then what would they do with the WD Schock regatta?

#48 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:42 PM

Let's all remember the original intent and scheduling behind the major SoCal events. This "series" attracted a wide variety of major one design fleets, as well as, certain serious handicap classes. The heart of the season would begin with the Ahmanson in Newport, which would facilitate boats getting organized for the N2E, the following week.

Then Ensenada, followed by the Yachting Cup (Ton Cup)at SDYC. Then the Lipton Cup, which had adopted a major one design fleet for the competition. Then back up north for the North Sails race week, followed by CalYC's Race Week.

All major clubs and harbors participated in this cycle, with the exception of BYC, who opted to pursue the antiquated 66 Series.

The racing was fun, coordinated (and therefore somewhat economical), great friendships were formed by competing every month against the best, the YC's loved the events and the trophies were highly coveted. Including the prestigious Ahmanson trophy, which will now be dedicated to a cruiser format.

C'mon, NHYC, let's keep the heritage of SoCal racing!

#49 some dude

some dude

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,996 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:55 PM

Let's all remember the original intent and scheduling behind the major SoCal events. This "series" attracted a wide variety of major one design fleets, as well as, certain serious handicap classes. The heart of the season would begin with the Ahmanson in Newport, which would facilitate boats getting organized for the N2E, the following week.

Then Ensenada, followed by the Yachting Cup (Ton Cup)at SDYC. Then the Lipton Cup, which had adopted a major one design fleet for the competition. Then back up north for the North Sails race week, followed by CalYC's Race Week.

All major clubs and harbors participated in this cycle, with the exception of BYC, who opted to pursue the antiquated 66 Series.

The racing was fun, coordinated (and therefore somewhat economical), great friendships were formed by competing every month against the best, the YC's loved the events and the trophies were highly coveted. Including the prestigious Ahmanson trophy, which will now be dedicated to a cruiser format.

C'mon, NHYC, let's keep the heritage of SoCal racing!

yeah but under that format none of the boats ever got polished. at least none of the boats that let me ride on them.

#50 sunseeker

sunseeker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:56 PM

But then what would they do with the WD Schock regatta?

Let Tom have his corporate promotion event at NHYC. Then have a Pro series in Harbor 20's for the Ahmanson. I can see it now, DoRag getting a Harbor 20, having the bottom longboarded in Mexico so no one can see it being done, and where labor rates are cheaper, and the quality better. DoRag will then hire the best of the best to drive his H20 to victory. It's exactly what the sport needs right about now, Pro racing in Harbor 20's. The thrill of victory, the agony of defeat. Massive party victory party and Billy's. DoRag is tight with the Underhill's, he'll put it on their tab.

#51 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:58 PM

D'Rag invented longboarding....

#52 sunseeker

sunseeker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:37 AM

Somewhat related topic, NHYC now advertising .25 beers during Baldwin Cup. Is NHYC trying to win a low pricing war with the American Legion YC. Discount beer? Really? Is that what NHYC has to do in order to get people to come race yachts? Do they also offer discount champagne for yacht polishing day? Now wonder Farnsworth the elders go to the desert or Maui instead of NHYC. .25 beer, what is NHYC now, a retired mans bowling club?

#53 sumpin

sumpin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 04:06 AM

.25 beer equals free beer without the liability. lot's of Omel and Myrs lawyers in red pants with whales thinking it through. team racing but only if you have XX number of all-americans or travel from far away. no one from So. Cal is desired at this event. it's her party, just ask

#54 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 03:28 PM

So, here we have a major SoCal cornerstone event going the way of Ensenada and others, paralleling (contributing factor?) the decline in higher level racing.

We see: yacht clubs being taken over by cruisers and powerboaters, we see changes in regatta objectives and formats - all to accomodate the growing number of, ah..... yachting dilettantes. Here is yet another prime example, as a major event, of very, very long standing, was substantially because only two of the host club's racers participated last year.

It's time to occupy yacht clubs. Tents, portable toilets, food stamps, hot dog vendors, dirty sleeping bags, smelly socks, and bad boat shoes! Power to the people!

#55 sumpin

sumpin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:51 PM

Lehman fleet for Ahmanson maybe?

#56 sunseeker

sunseeker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 12:33 AM

Actually, I'm thinking Radio Controlled boats. Don't even have to leave the front porch, and they can keep bringing $.25 beers right to your table.

Or maybe better yet, Ahmanson, the massive multiplayer game. Just sit at home and play it like the Volvo Ocean Race game. No need for a boat, or a club.

#57 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 01:59 AM

Actually, I'm thinking Radio Controlled boats. Don't even have to leave the front porch, and they can keep bringing $.25 beers right to your table.

Or maybe better yet, Ahmanson, the massive multiplayer game. Just sit at home and play it like the Volvo Ocean Race game. No need for a boat, or a club.

All good suggestions.

Maybe they could add a class for the Opening Day competition: best polished radio controlled boat or perhaps best maintained sailing board game.

Now I see where yacht racing is headed.

Tally ho!

#58 sunseeker

sunseeker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 02:38 AM

Actually what we need is an app for phones. Little sailboats getting flung from a slingshot. Angry Sailboats. You can buy my points, which are slingshot pullers dressed in salmon colored pants with little whales on them.

Angry Ahmanson Sailboats, has a nice ring to it. Underhills will front the development costs, they are big into tech these days. Old man Underhill started the family fortune with plastics. No wonder he's flying a G550 these days.

#59 sumpin

sumpin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 03:39 PM

gotta deliver some gear today.
who has the best brunch, CYC, LBYC or NHYC. need to be at Driscolls by 4 for tea

#60 sunseeker

sunseeker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 07:51 PM

who has the best brunch, CYC, LBYC or NHYC. need to be at Driscolls by 4 for tea

Galley Cafe, Harbor Island Drive, NB.

Chili Cheese Omelette. Hangover cure. Not selling so many since Snug closed and that one surfing and sailing bartender left Woody's.

#61 sumpin

sumpin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 02:21 AM

had to pass, running very late but the box made it to boatshop.i remember Snug so well. actually slept in the little red booth adjacent to the bumper pool table. joe was an amazing bartender but kinda loose with the keys. heard the eggs benedict and $.25 beers were rock'n today in newps. anything would today, breeze filled in nicely by time I made SD

#62 some dude

some dude

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,996 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 05:06 PM

Galley Cafe, Harbor Island Drive, NB.

Chili Cheese Omelette. Hangover cure. Not selling so many since Snug closed and that one surfing and sailing bartender left Woody's.

+1 get there early

#63 sunseeker

sunseeker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:27 PM

Is it true that NHYC is going to have a paddleboard division for Ahmanson? NHYC to Woody's, down a couple of shots there and return. If this isn't true, maybe it should be.

#64 sumpin

sumpin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:15 PM

so I am meeting my bro to pick up the new spinny and I ask what's up. he says, ahmanson, want to come along, sure old chap, I say, what times the start? he says "i think it's etiher 12:32 or 1:07" (?)??
i say, want to go try and pick a few seabass off the other side instead?

#65 sunseeker

sunseeker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:26 PM

so I am meeting my bro to pick up the new spinny and I ask what's up. he says, ahmanson, want to come along, sure old chap, I say, what times the start? he says "i think it's etiher 12:32 or 1:07" (?)??
i say, want to go try and pick a few seabass off the other side instead?

Excellent seabass = Bluewater Grill.

Ahmanson = boring.

#66 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:59 PM

Is it true that NHYC is going to have a paddleboard division for Ahmanson? NHYC to Woody's, down a couple of shots there and return. If this isn't true, maybe it should be.

If you took the time to look at the SIs, you'd see that the paddleboard class starts 10 minutes after the sailing board game.

#67 sumpin

sumpin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 02:28 AM

is there squid available this time of year. thinking SC Island if not to early or just put in closer. some fresh meat sounds good
is there sail boat racing somewhere? beside OD weekend in the E fleet (which would be very nice if I had one)

#68 NYBOZO1

NYBOZO1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 02:22 AM

35 boats....nice race.

No complaints.

#69 sunseeker

sunseeker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:17 AM

35 boats....nice race.

No complaints.

Results? Conditions?

Was there a yacht polishing contest?

$.25 beer?

#70 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,950 posts
  • Location:I'm in Sunny..-. Warm..& ..Dry San Diego . and your not :-)
  • Interests:Prime + 1 3/4

COUGARS COUGARS & More COUGARS

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:51 AM

but 20 of the 70 posts in this thread - not by the same one person Posted Image

#71 sumpin

sumpin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 04:49 AM

fish were biting in the bay

#72 Somebody Else

Somebody Else

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,946 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:35 AM

results:

https://docs.google....d=1&output=html

#73 sham69

sham69

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 12:13 PM

So, here we have a major SoCal cornerstone event going the way of Ensenada and others, paralleling (contributing factor?) the decline in higher level racing.

We see: yacht clubs being taken over by cruisers and powerboaters, we see changes in regatta objectives and formats - all to accomodate the growing number of, ah..... yachting dilettantes. Here is yet another prime example, as a major event, of very, very long standing, was substantially because only two of the host club's racers participated last year.

It's time to occupy yacht clubs. Tents, portable toilets, food stamps, hot dog vendors, dirty sleeping bags, smelly socks, and bad boat shoes! Power to the people!

There is an easier way: Join the club and be involved in the evolution of the events.

#74 sunseeker

sunseeker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 01:39 PM

There is an easier way: Join the club and be involved in the evolution of the events.

It's more like just stick around long enough and watch an event go back to the future.

#75 NYBOZO1

NYBOZO1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 01:58 PM

Never done this event before or a pursuit race, for that matter.

Kinda neat finishing with a bunch of TP 52's.

JUst what is the bitch?

#76 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 02:27 PM

Sorry, but I have little to add to organizations that like to plan for boat polishing events, predicted log "races," old car shows and electric train exhibits.

#77 sunseeker

sunseeker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 02:29 PM

Never done this event before or a pursuit race, for that matter.

Kinda neat finishing with a bunch of TP 52's.

JUst what is the bitch?

The ahmanson used to be one of the premiere yacht racing events on the west coast. Gold platers racing hard. Now it is a casual race no different than hot rum at SDYC with a burger bash. NHYC should stick to what they do best, yacht polishing contests, tiara fishing tournaments and bragging about the good old daze.

I didn't see an entry from the Farnsworth family they must not approve. Old man ahmanson is probably rolling in his grave. Hope you put your burger bash bill on the Underhill account, they don't mind.

#78 NYBOZO1

NYBOZO1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 02:45 PM

And the tourist brochure said SUNNY SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA.

It aint.....should I ask for the 50 bucks back?

#79 sunseeker

sunseeker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:18 PM

And the tourist brochure said SUNNY SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA.

It aint.....should I ask for the 50 bucks back?

It is sunny in socal, try palm springs. That's where the Farnsworth's are this weekend anyway. Underhill's are probably at their place in Maui. Nobody goes to NHYC until yacht polishing day anyway.

#80 sham69

sham69

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:31 PM

Sorry, but I have little to add to organizations that like to plan for boat polishing events, predicted log "races," old car shows and electric train exhibits.

Then why do you espouse you know what is best for NHYC?
You appear to rely on the club for your racing (dis)pleasure, yet criticize the way it conducts its events.
Organize a "better" event.

#81 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:04 PM

You appear to rely on the club for your racing (dis)pleasure, yet criticize the way it conducts its events.

Now, there is an assumption. No, I don't rely on NHYC for my racing. Thank you for asking.

Kinda like those who offer constructive critism to US Sailing. Do you really think you could insert yourself in there tightly managed inner circle? I think not.

So, no, the notion that you just need to step up to alter the trajectory of yacht racing is part naive and part overly simplistic.

#82 sunseeker

sunseeker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:39 PM

Now, there is an assumption. No, I don't rely on NHYC for my racing. Thank you for asking.

Kinda like those who offer constructive critism to US Sailing. Do you really think you could insert yourself in there tightly managed inner circle? I think not.

So, no, the notion that you just need to step up to alter the trajectory of yacht racing is part naive and part overly simplistic.

Yes, but consider the potential longboard customers you might have in the NHYC Tiara fleet and hotrod harbor 20's too.

#83 sumpin

sumpin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:16 AM

what a silly event ..no I can't change it but I talked to a few that could.

no power

#84 sham69

sham69

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:23 PM

The point is that one can not know what is best for an organization without being a part of it.

#85 Kmag

Kmag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Surfing, Snowboarding

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:30 PM

Raced it on the Hobie 33 and had a lot of fun.... yes it was not the classic regatta but who is to blame for it changing??? The sailors (or lack of) for the Ahmanson Regatta the past few years have led to it changing to the new format.

#86 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:04 PM

For sham69:

That is a silly point without any merit.

This is not about what is best for NHYC. This is about yet another major, long - term racing event in SoCal that was trashed and turned into an event for cruisers. It follows the demise of the Lipton Cup, North Sails Race week, Ensenada, the Whitney, the Little Whitney, the Corkett, among others. It also follows the trend of YCs turning to cruisers or power boat clubs, not to mention, memberships not requiring boat ownership. The focus is now on boat polishing contests, theme parties and BBQs.

Hence, we have a major factor in the demise of racing, both locally and nationally.

#87 sham69

sham69

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:30 PM

For sham69:

This is not about what is best for NHYC. This is about yet another major, long - term racing event in SoCal that was trashed and turned into an event for cruisers. It follows the demise of the Lipton Cup, North Sails Race week, Ensenada, the Whitney, the Little Whitney, the Corkett, among others. It also follows the trend of YCs turning to cruisers or power boat clubs, not to mention, memberships not requiring boat ownership. The focus is now on boat polishing contests, theme parties and BBQs.

Hence, we have a major factor in the demise of racing, both locally and nationally.

What is your suggestion for reversing this trend?

#88 sunseeker

sunseeker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:53 PM

For sham69:

At this point it isn't about reversing the trend the decline has all but bottomed out. there is virtually no more true high quality recreational racing in large keelboats in socal, the pockets of activity are too spread out over too large a rating bandwidth to be able to provide meaningful racing. clubs like nhyc need to step up and promote excellence, not mediocrity. nhyc has an americas cup winning helmsman and tactician, and a couple of other americas cup winners in its ranks. that happened because nhyc was all about excellence. now it is about $.25 beers and burger bash races. it is no better than bcyc and god forbid anyone at nhyc look upon themselves as equal to bcyc. the fransworth's are not amused to be compared to bcyc.

#89 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:20 PM

For sham69:

My views on the sport have been actively promoted on various threads addressing the demises of Ensenada, US Sailing, the Lipton, KWRW, and some others. I grow weary of repeating them. If interested, you could reference those threads.

#90 sham69

sham69

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:17 PM

For sham69:

My views on the sport have been actively promoted on various threads addressing the demises of Ensenada, US Sailing, the Lipton, KWRW, and some others. I grow weary of repeating them. If interested, you could reference those threads.

Can't seem to find any constructive ideas from you posts. Lots of bashing..

#91 Dude

Dude

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:54 PM

This was a GREAT event. Almost every boat from the whole harbor was out. The mark rounding's and finish where exciting and the competition was high. This event was good for local PHRF racing and I for one will encourage NHYC to keep the same format for next year.

For example Race #2 Sunday: I was driving the J 133 Tango and started just behind Bien Roulee with Alan Andrews driving. We passed them at the start of the last run and it took everything we had to hang onto our 3 boat length lead in 6-8 knots of breeze. On the run we had to deal with the J 125 "SRM"", Buddy Richley driving Amante, Craig Fletcher driving Checkmate and Harry Pattison driving No Rationing. At the finish Bien Roulee was still only 3 boat lengths behind us and we decided to let Fletch on Checkmate play through to the finish, rather than jibing on their breeze and hope we could role them without being luffed and let those 5 other boat beat us.

Bottom line: Its was FUN and good for the Sport!

@Sham, Try not to feed the "SA Tea baggers". They kind of remind me of a blown out # 3 from the Cabo race, they have no clue.

#92 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:56 PM

For sham69:

Huh? "...you posts"?

Well, maybe you just need to try harder. Or perhaps find someone to pay to polish your boat and enter the Opening Day contests. Whatever.

#93 sumpin

sumpin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:02 PM

Good for that. make it PH Champs next year. All R/L sounds cool. Let's have a whole series of R/L
Even better "old boat week" mixed w a couple newer new designs.

#94 Tom O'Keefe

Tom O'Keefe

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts
  • Interests:Custom Plastic Injection Molding
    Hendo 30 Power Point
    Mac Gregor 65' Lean Machine
    Spencer 65' Rag Time
    SC 50 Horizon
    R/P 68' Tax Dancer
    R/P 86' Pyewacket

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:12 PM

We had great fun aboard the Hobie. And, isn't that what it's all about having fun? The intensity level at the start may not have been there. But, Having the entire fleet chomping down on you in the last two legs sure brought the intensity level back up. There are still One Design regatta's that everyone can sail in, if that's what you want to do. But, if you're into racing just for the fun this regatta definitely put some variety into the schedule.

#95 sunseeker

sunseeker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:15 PM

Good for that. make it PH Champs next year. All R/L sounds cool. Let's have a whole series of R/L
Even better "old boat week" mixed w a couple newer new designs.

how about a PHRF yacht polishing contest instead? hotties in big hats, fancy sunglasses, sundresses, with tiny or no thongs underneath. everyone wins.

#96 sham69

sham69

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:21 PM

For sham69:

Huh? "...you posts"?

Well, maybe you just need to try harder. Or perhaps find someone to pay to polish your boat and enter the Opening Day contests. Whatever.

My point exactly. "Whatever" is all you are offering.

#97 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:42 PM

We had great fun aboard the Hobie. And, isn't that what it's all about having fun? The intensity level at the start may not have been there. But, Having the entire fleet chomping down on you in the last two legs sure brought the intensity level back up. There are still One Design regatta's that everyone can sail in, if that's what you want to do. But, if you're into racing just for the fun this regatta definitely put some variety into the schedule.

The point being is that the Ahmanson used to be on the circuit for the bigger boat one design fleets (F40, J105, J120) that rotated between harbors on a schedule that was reasonable efficient and economical: Ahmanson, Ensenada, Yachting (Ton) Cup, Lipton Cup, North Sails Race Week, Cal RW. The sailing was fun and highly competitive and delivery hassles were minimized. And the turnouts were 2X or 3X what we see today.

#98 NYBOZO1

NYBOZO1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:55 PM

Hey Tom O'Keefe!

Ditto......enjoyed following you around on my brand spanking new Columbia 32C..

good times!

#99 Somebody Else

Somebody Else

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,946 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:02 PM

Raced it on the Hobie 33 and had a lot of fun.... yes it was not the classic regatta but who is to blame for it changing??? The sailors (or lack of) for the Ahmanson Regatta the past few years have led to it changing to the new format.

Ah! Didn't notice you were sailing with my friend Daniel (and Robert too.) Before the racing I told my skipper that Still Crazy and No Rationing were going to be tough to catch.

I think it's cool that as the race progresses the fleet compresses as opposed to normal handicap racing where the fleet slowly gets farther and farther spread out. Consensus on our boat was that it kept the crew sharper, longer. Not as sharp as one-design, but sharper than normal PHRF. As the finish approaches, the adrenaline gets ramped up.

Noticed on Kattack how the fleet was most compressed about 2/3 through the race. This actually sounds about right to me, as the winning boats start to leg out in clear air and the losing boats do what losing boats do. The finish intervals were not that different than an one-design race of equal distance.

#100 sham69

sham69

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:04 PM

The point being is that the Ahmanson used to be on the circuit for the bigger boat one design fleets (F40, J105, J120) that rotated between harbors on a schedule that was reasonable efficient and economical: Ahmanson, Ensenada, Yachting (Ton) Cup, Lipton Cup, North Sails Race Week, Cal RW. The sailing was fun and highly competitive and delivery hassles were minimized. And the turnouts were 2X or 3X what we see today.

And you blame the fact this does not exist any longer on chrome polishers?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users