9 replies to this topic

#1 Mambo Kings

Mambo Kings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:30 PM

By my count there are 128 smaller sport boats entered for Charleston Race Week and still growing.

Not sure if this is a record, or if there is an equivalent gathering of sport boats anywhere else in North America, but it sure is going to be a hell of a party.

We've heard from race organizers that Hal Smith is going to be Race Officer on one of the sport boat circles again this year. It was Hal who coined the phrase "Roaring Twenties" when the sport boats started to show up in numbers a few years back He runs a tight ship but keeps it fun

Melges 24s, Melges 20s, J 80s, Vipers, Ultimate 20s...........we're going to have a blast. An event like this really reinforces the reality that the sport boats have taken off. Hope we can get lots of pics posted here.

#2 Mambo Kings

Mambo Kings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 11:36 AM

162 entrants now on the confines of inshore course
88 entrants on the wide ocean of the offshore course

Hmmmm. Reminds me of the jingle on the UPS ad,

"When you've got a hundred boat on three crowded ramps ; That's logistics
When you've got 3 circles, two tides and three rivers : That's logistics
When you've got a thousand sailors, two bars and a band ; That's logistics"

I seem to remember there was a time when the offshore course had larger participation than the inshore course. But this is the direction that sailing is going. By the time KWRW picked up on this and offered to open up to the smaller sport boats, CRW was already launched with the sport boat fraternity.

#3 Ryley

Ryley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Photography, Sailing, Mountain Biking.. did I mention sailing?

Posted 23 March 2012 - 01:53 PM

Looks like a lot of fun and some great boats - hope you guys have a blast. Farthest south we're going this year is Southern Bay Race Week - should be pretty decent too :)

#4 schoonerman

schoonerman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,269 posts
  • Interests:sailing, sex and success...not necessarily in order

Posted 23 March 2012 - 03:34 PM

I can only hope that every other YC in the US is watching CRW. I know ABYC in Long Beach is active in both large and small boats and is hosting a growing number of sporty events. Long Beach Race Week is probably the closest thing the West offers.

Richmond YC in the Bay Area also hosts some great mixed fleet events. Be nicer to have a CRW style event in the Bay Area though at 954 regattas on the books for 2012 in NorCal the schedule's a bit crowded :lol:

Whitbey Island Race Week promises to be epic this year and is (I believe) the very last of the true race 'weeks.'

Wish I could be there....alas, the Strictly Sail Pacific boat show is that weekend and Rondar has 4 boats in it.....Have more fun than you ever thought possible (with your clothes on). Last time I was at CRW I was amazed at how many women will buy you drinks at the bars :P

Send LOTS of pics!

#5 Mambo Kings

Mambo Kings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 04:30 PM

Last time I was at CRW I was amazed at how many women will buy you drinks at the bars :P

Send LOTS of pics!

That's because they were free and they wanted to talk to the handsome blonde guy that was sailing with you.

#6 Mambo Kings

Mambo Kings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:19 AM

Stop Press - Hoping we have our first Puerto Rico Viper skipper on the start line at CRW.

We sent out a useful "Preparation Check List" written by Brad Boston to all the Viper skippers registered for CRW today. (Mucho gracias Brad) Everyone is getting pumped for Charleston!

Also circulating has been a little smack talk. Lots of boats capable of top five. Toughest competition ever in the Viper fleet.

#7 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,337 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:38 AM

I think the total is going to end up around 260, usually 5-7% doesn't show, so that will make around 240-245, which would be yet another record year on the line. 140 will be inshore on four circles, and I have no idea how that is going to work. 100 and change will be offshore on two circles.

#8 DaphneEdison

DaphneEdison

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:46 AM

Posted ImageHmmmm. Reminds me of the jingle on the UPS ad,

#9 Mambo Kings

Mambo Kings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:13 PM

Posted ImageHmmmm. Reminds me of the jingle on the UPS ad,

http://www.youtube.c...&feature=relmfu

When you've got 40 kegs on 5 slips on the dock, That's logistics

When you''ve got a hundred boats on three tidal ramps, That's logistics

When you've got six thousand co-eds who call themselves Cougars, That's........damn...what is that?

#10 Mambo Kings

Mambo Kings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:49 PM

We've got some local knowledge tips from coach at C of C and previous winners of CRW posted on Viper forums. Here: http://forum.viper64...?topic=1166.105

They are useful for anyone sailing on the inshore courses.

41 Vipers confirmed on the start line!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users