• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#1 Nixon506E

Nixon506E

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 01:34 PM

I love hearing that Il Mostro will be sailing the Mac this year! Following the VOR so closely last time around it was absolutely a fast boat and the Ericsson team got lucky throwing money at their program and ending up with such a great crew! I can't wait to see what this boat can do on the Great Lakes. I know we won't be hearing nearly as much complaining about how the lakes don't provide real offshore racing after last years tragic events. I also know it may not be the southern ocean, with icebergs and the such, like the boat is used to. That leads to the boat going all that much faster and will make it truly exciting to see! I would love to hear more about the plan for the boat and who the crew will be! I'm always interested in crewing something of that caliber even if it's just for the Round the Island after the Mac is all done. Get us some more info and keep us up to date! I hope you keep up the great coverage of the Mac like last year! See you on the island!

#2 Swanno (Ohf Shore)

Swanno (Ohf Shore)

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,782 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 01:44 PM

I love hearing that Il Mostro will be sailing the Mac this year! Following the VOR so closely last time around it was absolutely a fast boat and the Ericsson team got lucky throwing money at their program and ending up with such a great crew! I can't wait to see what this boat can do on the Great Lakes. I know we won't be hearing nearly as much complaining about how the lakes don't provide real offshore racing after last years tragic events. I also know it may not be the southern ocean, with icebergs and the such, like the boat is used to. That leads to the boat going all that much faster and will make it truly exciting to see! I would love to hear more about the plan for the boat and who the crew will be! I'm always interested in crewing something of that caliber even if it's just for the Round the Island after the Mac is all done. Get us some more info and keep us up to date! I hope you keep up the great coverage of the Mac like last year! See you on the island!

Money doesn't buy you luck and if your simply better than the competition has nothing to do with luck wither.

Agreed it is great to see the boat heading out to get used. Free advertising for Puma or have all the puma tags gone?

#3 Sailor90

Sailor90

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,936 posts
  • Interests:A Scow racer, Melges 24's, Laser, and big boats in Chicago.

Posted 28 March 2012 - 02:59 PM

ABN AMRO One did the Chicago to Mac race in 2006. It was pretty cool to see such a powerful boat up close. She sailed to windward of me for 40 mins and when the breeze got lighter she disappeared over the horizon.

Don’t think she will be doing the round the island race thou. 1.) Her draft is to deep 2.) Rocks, lots of them around Mac Island.

#4 Rum Runner

Rum Runner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 03:02 PM

I assume the boat will not be able to tie up in the harbor at Mackinac due to keel depth issues. It would have been great to see the boat after the race.

#5 Sailor90

Sailor90

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 03:06 PM

I assume the boat will not be able to tie up in the harbor at Mackinac due to keel depth issues. It would have been great to see the boat after the race.

Coal dock has plenty of water for her.

#6 smackdaddy

smackdaddy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 03:06 PM

Money doesn't buy you luck and if your simply better than the competition has nothing to do with luck wither.

Agreed it is great to see the boat heading out to get used. Free advertising for Puma or have all the puma tags gone?

I was wondering the same. Who owns her now? Puma still?

#7 Geff

Geff

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 03:55 PM

So who is putting the program together and bringing her to the Lakes? Who are the "well knowns" that will be sailing her while here (as mentioned on the Front Page)?

#8 fetzer24

fetzer24

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 04:20 PM

It was bought by one of the nicest guys in Chicago. It's great to see him getting back out on the water.

#9 barleymalt

barleymalt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,251 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 04:24 PM

PT?

#10 FINS

FINS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 04:25 PM

It was bought by one of the nicest guys in Chicago. It's great to see him getting back out on the water.

Is it the new Holua???

#11 Nixon506E

Nixon506E

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:25 PM

I only meant that money doesn't always buy you the best team but all the right guys luckily agreed to join up and it worked out very nicely, making one of the best teams that the VOR has ever seen.

#12 12345

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,056 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:29 PM

Man the Isle of Misfit Toys just gets misfittier.

#13 cantp1

cantp1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Interests:Sailing
    Skiing
    Squash

Posted 28 March 2012 - 06:55 PM

Goddamn that's awesome! Can't wait to see her (or it) fly!

#14 Riptide

Riptide

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:14 PM

It's great to see the old il Mostro back in action, curious to see if she will be campaigned for anything other then great lake regattas.... she should not be brought out there and left to die but rather taken to California next summer to do the transpac race which is the kind of race Volvo Boats are built for.

I wonder if the All American Ocean Racing Team will try and use her to train for their 2014-2015 VOR Campaign.... http://www.allamericanoceanracing.org/

Also does anyone else think that the last generation boats were overall faster downwind beast then the current ones racing... it might have something to do with all the sail restrictions they implemented because the new boats have yet to really come close to the current 24 hour record yet alone surpass the old ABN AMRO 2 record of 562NM.

#15 oddsailor

oddsailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Interests:getting on a plane

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:23 PM

It's great to see the old il Mostro back in action, curious to see if she will be campaigned for anything other then great lake regattas.... she should not be brought out there and left to die but rather taken to California next summer to do the transpac race which is the kind of race Volvo Boats are built for.

I wonder if the All American Ocean Racing Team will try and use her to train for their 2014-2015 VOR Campaign.... http://www.allamericanoceanracing.org/

Also does anyone else think that the last generation boats were overall faster downwind beast then the current ones racing... it might have something to do with all the sail restrictions they implemented because the new boats have yet to really come close to the current 24 hour record yet alone surpass the old ABN AMRO 2 record of 562NM.

Ericsson 4 did 596nm last time around: http://en.wikipedia...._number_of_crew
I think Camper did 520+nm on the 1st leg and GP4 and Puma have gone +25nm consistently, just not for 24h straight.

#16 'moondance44

'moondance44

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,165 posts
  • Location:Dodgy Bit Of Stamford, CT and The Cows, Graveyard of LIS where bluefish get blown off wire leaders

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:50 PM

I think that boat with adequate crew will be able to manage a thunderstorm.

#17 Secret Weapon

Secret Weapon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:30 PM

I think that boat with adequate crew will be able to manage a thunderstorm.

Ya think?

#18 Grinder

Grinder

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,632 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:38 PM

That there is some badass footage

#19 iSail

iSail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:06 PM

it's about time for someone to beat windquest...

#20 hybomitra

hybomitra

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Interests:sailing

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:09 PM

Looks wet. :)

#21 12345

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,056 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:14 PM

Il Mostro is a tricky animal like a lot of the Misfit Toys, she will only beat the well sailed Windquest if she has the right crew.

#22 iSail

iSail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:23 PM

Il Mostro is a tricky animal like a lot of the Misfit Toys, she will only beat the well sailed Windquest if she has the right crew.

They must be signing on at least 2 or 3 past volvo crew.... at the very least simply for boat handling and canting. It's going to be a bitch to sail I'm sure. Plus they must be using offshore sails....Unless they make a whole new lake set as part of the deal. If they don't those extra thick sails will make the inevitable 100 sail changes hell. GL 70 sails are heavy enough...VOR southern ocean-proof sails must be downright ridiculous

Who actually knows the names of the guys chartering it?

#23 Secret Weapon

Secret Weapon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:22 AM

That there is some badass footage

and more.......

#24 @last

@last

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 01:04 AM

So who is putting the program together and bringing her to the Lakes? Who are the "well knowns" that will be sailing her while here (as mentioned on the Front Page)?

My guess/thought on the "well knowns" might be Brad Read (Ken's brother) and Jerry Kirby but that is just a guess.

#25 skew

skew

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 01:39 AM

So who bought or rented it?

#26 airacer

airacer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 01:52 AM

Windquest has been beat before.

Who's is it. Need to go to Chicago and beg and plead for a chance to try out for a spot!

#27 Geff

Geff

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:20 AM

My guess/thought on the "well knowns" might be Brad Read (Ken's brother) and Jerry Kirby but that is just a guess.

I was guessing that too, but thought of some sort of confirmation.

#28 iSail

iSail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:04 AM

Windquest has been beat before.

Who's is it. Need to go to Chicago and beg and plead for a chance to try out for a spot!

Yeah by Beau Geste in 2010, but I want to see it blow 30 from the southwest and watch them go for a record. Sad part is with a lot of wind no one would see them for long after the start..

#29 quezal1

quezal1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:58 AM

jerry kirby is on board and a number of others tba .

#30 Geff

Geff

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:19 PM

Kewl! Posted Image

#31 Matt B

Matt B

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 01:03 PM

Was your guess based on the front page where it said that Brad and Jerry would be part of the crew?

#32 Hippie

Hippie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:28 PM

I know who picked her up. Now my name is in the hat with 100 others.

#33 smackdaddy

smackdaddy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:29 PM

Did that person buy her or just charter her for the race?

#34 Geff

Geff

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:46 PM

Was your guess based on the front page where it said that Brad and Jerry would be part of the crew?

You got it.

#35 lartaunt

lartaunt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, boating, automobiles, diving, Big Ten Sports, Sailing

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:49 PM

Fetz, she coming to your place to be assembled and splashed?

#36 Geff

Geff

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:56 PM

Fetz, she coming to your place to be assembled and splashed?

+1! That would be great!

#37 'moondance44

'moondance44

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,165 posts
  • Location:Dodgy Bit Of Stamford, CT and The Cows, Graveyard of LIS where bluefish get blown off wire leaders

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:47 PM

If Kirby is on bow, likely Left Hook will be moved to the mast.

#38 Tequila Mockingbird

Tequila Mockingbird

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:52 PM

As is mine....

#39 Triceratops

Triceratops

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:56 PM

They should have to start on Sunday, along with Windquest!

#40 Geff

Geff

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:00 AM

They should have to start on Sunday, along with Windquest!

And with us multis too!

#41 Alysum

Alysum

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:24 AM

Last year the boat was for sale through an auction - did that ever happen?

#42 Sailor90

Sailor90

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 05:22 AM

’il Mostro’ to race in Chicago Yacht Club 104th Race to Mackinac

By Rachelle Treiber on 29 Mar

Chicago Yacht Club announces that it has received a request for invitation from the famous Volvo Ocean 70 PUMA Ocean Racing boat il Mostro (Italian for ‘the monster’). The 70-foot Goetz Custom Boats Volvo 70 was recently purchased by Chicago Yacht Club member Peter Thornton with the specific goal of bringing honors for the famous Royono Trophy back to Chicago Yacht Club. The Royono trophy is awarded for the first monohull to cross the finish line. Mr. Thornton will retain the signature name for the boat ‘il Mostro’ and will berth her in a location yet to be determined in Chicago’s harbor system.

“I purchased the boat with the goal of sharing the race with my family and friends with whom I race with,” said Thornton. “The Mackinac race is all about family, friends and good memories; this will be just one more for us - a very memorable one, we hope.”

Mr. Thornton is no stranger to winning the Race to Mackinac, having won with his previous boat Holua a Great Lakes 70 Turbo Sled. While the logistics of bringing a large (and wide) boat such as the Volvo 70 from her current location in Newport, Rhode Island to the Great Lakes is a challenging one, Mr. Thornton looks forward to doing great things with her on the lake and using the boat to showcase sailing in Chicago.

“We would be very excited to see the VO70 entered into the race,” said Race to Mackinac Chairman Lou Sandoval. “They are exciting boats to watch on the Volvo Ocean Race circuit and have an impressive record for the speeds they reach. It will be great to see what she does on the Lake.”

Il Mostro has a long history of success in world-class offshore sailboat races. She finished second in the 2008-2009 Volvo Ocean Race (a famous round-the-world yacht race), under the ownership of Puma Sailing. No stranger to ORR racing, Il Mostro finished second under ORR in the 2010 Newport-Bermuda Race. Her length overall is 70’, with an 18’ beam. She draws 15’ and displaces 30,000 lbs. Il Mostro’s design offers the highest technology the sport of sailing has to offer from her state of the art equipment including a high tech composite hull to the carbon fiber 105’ mast. With over 7,200 square feet of sail area, the Botin-Carkeek-designed boat can reach speeds of up to 40 knots (approximately 44 mph). Mr. Thornton’s entry into the Race to Mackinac will be manned with the ‘who’s who’ of the sailing world - a top notch crew worthy of a boat of this technical nature.

The 104th Chicago Yacht Club Race to Mackinac, presented by Vueve Cliquot, will take place on July 21st, 2012. Participation in the 333-mile race from Chicago Yacht Club to Mackinac Island, Mich. is by invitation only. Chicago Yacht Club looks forward to staging a world-class sailing race for skippers and crews. Should you have any questions about participating in the 104th Chicago Yacht Club Race to Mackinac, please contact the Chicago Yacht Club, Race Coordinator at 312.861.7777 or at racecoordinator@chicagoyachtclub.org

#43 Matt B

Matt B

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:56 AM

Chicago Yacht Club announces that it has received a request for invitation from the famous Volvo Ocean 70 PUMA Ocean Racing boat il Mostro (Italian for ‘the monster’). The 70-foot Goetz Custom Boats Volvo 70 was recently purchased by Chicago Yacht Club member Peter Thornton with the specific goal of bringing honors for the famous Royono Trophy back to Chicago Yacht Club. The Royono trophy is awarded for the first monohull to cross the finish line. Mr. Thornton will retain the signature name for the boat ‘il Mostro’ and will berth her in a location yet to be determined in Chicago’s harbor system.

“I purchased the boat with the goal of sharing the race with my family and friends with whom I race with,” said Thornton. “The Mackinac race is all about family, friends and good memories; this will be just one more for us - a very memorable one, we hope.”

Mr. Thornton is no stranger to winning the Race to Mackinac, having won with his previous boat Holua a Great Lakes 70 Turbo Sled. While the logistics of bringing a large (and wide) boat such as the Volvo 70 from her current location in Newport, Rhode Island to the Great Lakes is a challenging one, Mr. Thornton looks forward to doing great things with her on the lake and using the boat to showcase sailing in Chicago.

“We would be very excited to see the VO70 entered into the race,” said Race to Mackinac Chairman Lou Sandoval. “They are exciting boats to watch on the Volvo Ocean Race circuit and have an impressive record for the speeds they reach. It will be great to see what she does on the Lake.”

Il Mostro has a long history of success in world-class offshore sailboat races. She finished second in the 2008-2009 Volvo Ocean Race (a famous round-the-world yacht race), under the ownership of Puma Sailing. No stranger to ORR racing, Il Mostro finished second under ORR in the 2010 Newport-Bermuda Race. Her length overall is 70’, with an 18’ beam. She draws 15’ and displaces 30,000 lbs. Il Mostro’s design offers the highest technology the sport of sailing has to offer from her state of the art equipment including a high tech composite hull to the carbon fiber 105’ mast. With over 7,200 square feet of sail area, the Botin-Carkeek-designed boat can reach speeds of up to 40 knots (approximately 44 mph). Mr. Thornton’s entry into the Race to Mackinac will be manned with the ‘who’s who’ of the sailing world - a top notch crew worthy of a boat of this technical nature.
The 104th Chicago Yacht Club Race to Mackinac, presented by Vueve Cliquot, will take place on July 21st, 2012. Participation in the 333-mile race from Chicago Yacht Club to Mackinac Island, Mich. is by invitation only. Chicago Yacht Club looks forward to staging a world-class sailing race for skippers and crews. Should you have any questions about participating in the 104th Chicago Yacht Club Race to Mackinac, please contact the Chicago Yacht Club, Race Coordinator at 312.861.7777 or at racecoordinator@chicagoyachtclub.org

So his family is made up of the who's who of sailing?
40 knots?

#44 Grinder

Grinder

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,632 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:40 PM

Don't be a hater

#45 Geff

Geff

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:46 PM

Don't be a hater

Right on!

#46 Hippie

Hippie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:02 PM

As is mine....

Haha!!

#47 Nixon506E

Nixon506E

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:38 PM

Glad to hear she'll be sticking around Chicago for a while! You'll be able see here sailing around the lake from Michigan Ave!

#48 Matt B

Matt B

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:50 PM

Don't be a hater

Sorry. Didn't mean to be. But who writes that?

#49 Slim

Slim

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  • Interests:Your mom.

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:22 PM

That's McGuyver's boss! We are all doomed!

Posted Image

#50 Holua03

Holua03

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:25 PM

Don't be a hater

Guess you don't know Pete very well.

#51 Monkey

Monkey

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,366 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 04:07 PM

I just hope he starts a new trend. GL70 fleet 2.0!!

#52 Slim

Slim

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  • Interests:Your mom.

Posted 30 March 2012 - 04:18 PM

Don't be a hater

Guess you don't know Pete very well.

Meaning? He has a large family? He's secretly married to Jimmy Spithill?

#53 Robin

Robin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 06:30 PM

I am not sure that canting keelers are that much fun around the bouys, more TP52s on the other hand would make for a great local or Great Lakes fleet for both bouy and point to point racing.

Robin

#54 ftbinc

ftbinc

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 06:36 PM

I am not sure that canting keelers are that much fun around the bouys, more TP52s on the other hand would make for a great local or Great Lakes fleet for both bouy and point to point racing.

Robin

+1

#55 GABA

GABA

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 12:01 AM

I am not sure that canting keelers are that much fun around the buoys, more TP52s on the other hand would make for a great local or Great Lakes fleet for both bouy and point to point racing.

Robin

+1

Gotta agree with you guys. Love the Volvo 70s in open water, but a bunch of GL/TP 52s would be a lot more fun on the lakes - NOOD, Verve and the Macs. Many are set up to sail buoys, whereas the Volvo's were probably designed to require a lot more running room.

Question - Looking at the BYC Mac website, I don't see her entered there. Is she doing the Port Huron Mac, too?

#56 blubberboy

blubberboy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,756 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 12:21 AM

There is a past VOR70 down in Sydney that has been modified, now a Jones 70 with a load of talented crew that might be able to show up in Chicago for a fresh water jaunt.

Dougie, if you're reading this, we'd love to see you here in Chicago. Come early and we'll have you out on Imedi with us for a spin around the cans. Bring Spiesie!

#57 StayinStrewn

StayinStrewn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,542 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, snowboarding, hockey

Posted 31 March 2012 - 12:35 AM

I am not sure that canting keelers are that much fun around the buoys, more TP52s on the other hand would make for a great local or Great Lakes fleet for both bouy and point to point racing.

Robin

+1

Gotta agree with you guys. Love the Volvo 70s in open water, but a bunch of GL/TP 52s would be a lot more fun on the lakes - NOOD, Verve and the Macs. Many are set up to sail buoys, whereas the Volvo's were probably designed to require a lot more running room.

Question - Looking at the BYC Mac website, I don't see her entered there. Is she doing the Port Huron Mac, too?

has any ex VO70 put a bigger bulb on with a deeper fin, but sailed with it locked?? or converted to locked?

#58 robalex117

robalex117

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 12:49 AM

http://www.yachtsand...ht-Club-prepare

#59 quezal1

quezal1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 01:51 AM

Robin

+1

yes she is doing both races

#60 SeaOfChicago

SeaOfChicago

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 05:19 PM

Anyone know where they'll be keeping her - maybe DuSable?

#61 Grinder

Grinder

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,632 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 05:57 PM

Not nearly deep enough.

#62 Flying Wasp

Flying Wasp

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:24 PM

I think the big question on everyone's mind is whether Il Mostro will do the Bi-State or the Tri-State. Anyone know how the Michigan City depth is looking?

#63 Monkey

Monkey

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,366 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:46 PM

Robin

I know, but my ride doesn't do the bouy racing anyway. You're right that TP52's would be the perfect boat for the next GL big boat fleet.

#64 Grinder

Grinder

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,632 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:58 PM

I think the big question on everyone's mind is whether Il Mostro will do the Bi-State or the Tri-State. Anyone know how the Michigan City depth is looking?

They are scared of CIRCUS

#65 big chicken

big chicken

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,770 posts
  • Interests:sailing, performance rally

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:49 PM

Got the spelling wrong on the race sponsor's name in the presser. At least on my hat it says Veuve Clicquot. But I suppose that's not important when you can afford a boat like il Mostro. :P

#66 DRIFTW00D

DRIFTW00D

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,303 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:25 PM

Got the spelling wrong on the race sponsor's name in the presser. At least on my hat it says Veuve Clicquot. But I suppose that's not important when you can afford a boat like il Mostro. :P

#67 Sailor90

Sailor90

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:27 AM

At 18 Ft of beam that girl is going to be at the end of the dock.

#68 barleymalt

barleymalt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,251 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 12:46 PM

Heavier than I thought if those displacement figures are right. To me, the major hurdle with bringing these boats into the GL has always been the predominantly light conditions here. Watching ABN-AMRO2 in the light stuff in the Chi-Mac was interesting, she wasn't really any faster than a 25 year old SC70. When the breeze came on over 10 knots, good bye. I wonder if some optimization is in the plans for The Monster.

#69 GABA

GABA

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 04:16 PM

Good observation
What's the penalty under ORR for an oversized Code Zero or a good old fashioned 155% or 180% Genoa on one of those baby's?

#70 Geff

Geff

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 07:27 PM

I'm just sorry that our multihull fleet isn't what it used to be and we wont have an opportunity to have a decent tech'd out mono vs some slick multi race up the Lake. Posted Image

#71 barleymalt

barleymalt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,251 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 08:03 PM

I'm just sorry that our multihull fleet isn't what it used to be and we wont have an opportunity to have a decent tech'd out mono vs some slick multi race up the Lake. Posted Image

Those are always horses for courses anyway. Conditions always favor one versus the other.

#72 isma

isma

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 08:14 PM

Those are always horses for courses anyway. Conditions always favor one versus the other.

For Geff's benefit...2004! But on the upside, BYC Mac...2008.

#73 Nixon506E

Nixon506E

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 03:28 AM

Robin

Agreed 100%! Would love to see a decent sized fleet of 52's!

#74 quasi-expert

quasi-expert

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:35 AM

Good observation
What's the penalty under ORR for an oversized Code Zero or a good old fashioned 155% or 180% Genoa on one of those baby's?

Looking at the current version boats I think they already have ~150% genoas.
Posted Image

#75 Geff

Geff

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 03:03 PM

For Geff's benefit...2004! But on the upside, BYC Mac...2008.

Gotta love it! and right on. Thanks! +1!

#76 Glenn McCarthy

Glenn McCarthy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:23 PM

Depth Report

#77 lartaunt

lartaunt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:30 PM

Attached File  safety_at_sea_revised_logo_2012.jpg   137.76K   1 downloads

HIJACK

Last Chance! Registration Closing April 18th

US Sailing sanctioned Safety at Sea Seminar hosted by the Muskegon Yacht Club at the Muskegon Country Club (Muskegon MI) on April 21st

More information and registration form HERE

Register Today!

end HIJACK

#78 quezal1

quezal1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:02 AM

Depth Report

No bi state for this boat this year

#79 fetzer24

fetzer24

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:39 AM

I somehow became one of the speakers for this event. For those of you that have waiting for the opportunity to flame me in a public forum, now's your chance!

Tickets are still available.

HIJACK

US Sailing sanctioned Safety at Sea Seminar hosted by the Muskegon Yacht Club at the Muskegon Country Club (Muskegon MI) on April 21st

Register Today!

end HIJACK

#80 Matt B

Matt B

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:51 PM

I somehow became one of the speakers for this event. For those of you that have waiting for the opportunity to flame me in a public forum, now's your chance!

HIJACK

Register Today!

end HIJACK

Well in that case, I'm in.
Are you going to talk about proper crane safety?

#81 fetzer24

fetzer24

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:36 PM

HIJACK

Register Today!

end HIJACK

Well in that case, I'm in.
Are you going to talk about proper crane safety?

It's actually my specialty.

#82 lartaunt

lartaunt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:49 PM

HIJACK

Register Today!

end HIJACK

Thanks Fetz! GTFP!

#83 Geff

Geff

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:38 PM

Is this boat also coming to your yard Fetz?

#84 fetzer24

fetzer24

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:29 AM

Is this boat also coming to your yard Fetz?

No

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users