#1 Laurent

Laurent

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 04:48 PM

Hi everybody,

I am transferring from Texas to Singapore in the coming months.
I have a home made small contraption of a beach multihull... I would like to know which sailing club would be the most appropriate to use as a base for my boat.

What do I need?
I do not intend to buy a road trailer; I have dolly wheels, and I can wheel the boat in and out of the water from a ramp or a beach...
I would expect to leave everything at the club, including masts, sails, boards, etc...
This is an experimental boat: breaking and fixing is part of the game!!! A place where there is a shop, or at least a shack where you can bring your own tools and work on your boat, including sanding, cutting, epoxy repair work, etc, is a tall order, but it would be paradise....
Leaving the boat on the grass/sand would be perfect for me.

Oh yeah, the people have to be cool and the place has to be cheap...

Any recommendation?

Thanks in advance,

Laurent

PS: I am going to post the same question on the maultihull forum as there might be members on that forum who never go to Dinghy Anarchy...

#2 punter

punter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:17 AM

Hi Laurent. For multihulls only 1 place, ie Changi Sailing Club. There are about 50-60 cats in the boatpark, though most or the majority never ever move. You can store the boat with the mast up and space for you to keep your sailing gear. Though I would take tools home otherwise they will be "borrowed".

You aren't allowed to have trailers in Singapore, the country is too small and you won't have anywhere to keep it. To join the club is expensive. There is no avoiding this. Sailing is deemed an ex-pat activity, so ex-pat prices.

As for working on the boat, you do realise it is the tropics and you will sweat profusely whenever you leave the house? There is space to work on it at Changi, and there are boat builders to source material at the National Sailing Centre.

Also to note, if the boat is experimental, always carry a phone in waterproof case when sailing. There is a shipping lane in front of the club and the tides can be very strong. Prudent to be able to call the club for rescue if needed.

#3 Laurent

Laurent

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 01:07 PM

Hi Laurent. For multihulls only 1 place, ie Changi Sailing Club. There are about 50-60 cats in the boatpark, though most or the majority never ever move. You can store the boat with the mast up and space for you to keep your sailing gear. Though I would take tools home otherwise they will be "borrowed".

You aren't allowed to have trailers in Singapore, the country is too small and you won't have anywhere to keep it. To join the club is expensive. There is no avoiding this. Sailing is deemed an ex-pat activity, so ex-pat prices.

As for working on the boat, you do realise it is the tropics and you will sweat profusely whenever you leave the house? There is space to work on it at Changi, and there are boat builders to source material at the National Sailing Centre.

Also to note, if the boat is experimental, always carry a phone in waterproof case when sailing. There is a shipping lane in front of the club and the tides can be very strong. Prudent to be able to call the club for rescue if needed.

Punter, thanks a lot for the input. That'st what I was looking for!

Sweating while working on the boat, I am used to that... Houston can be pretty dam hot as well! and humid!

Cheers,
Laurent

#4 DaveK

DaveK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,631 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:13 PM

Just curious why Singapore? What kind of business are you in?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users