2092 replies to this topic

#201 Hike, Bitches!

Hike, Bitches!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,580 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 01:56 AM

Pogs! Is he still alive?!?!? He never posts in CA anymore!

#202 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,325 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 01:57 AM

Pogs! Is he still alive?!?!? He never posts in CA anymore!

He's over in SA being caustic. He was happier when he was here in never-never land.

#203 Rasputin22

Rasputin22

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:01 AM

If you want mermaids, check out my pal Pogen's blog: NeverSeaLand

Thanks for that link, I'm under the gun when it comes to mermaids and these will inspire.

#204 VALIS

VALIS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 03:41 AM

Pogen is madly preparing for his doublehanded Pacific Cup this summer. He crewed on VALIS last time to steal my top-secret Pac Cup racing strategy, and now he's a competitor. He's doing a lot of local racing to get ready. And yes, he has a thing for mermaids.

Bob, I had a great time hanging out with you, Boomberries, and WHL. Thank you!

And since this is the Catari thread, let me say how happy I am that Pacific Seacraft is building this beautiful boat. Brodie deserves a lot of credit for preserving a great name in sailboats and for keeping together so many of the honest-to-god craftsmen that have been building these boats for so long. Of course I'm biased...

#205 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,787 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 05:30 AM

Pogen is madly preparing for his doublehanded Pacific Cup this summer. He crewed on VALIS last time to steal my top-secret Pac Cup racing strategy, and now he's a competitor. He's doing a lot of local racing to get ready. And yes, he has a thing for mermaids.

Bob, I had a great time hanging out with you, Boomberries, and WHL. Thank you!

And since this is the Catari thread, let me say how happy I am that Pacific Seacraft is building this beautiful boat. Brodie deserves a lot of credit for preserving a great name in sailboats and for keeping together so many of the honest-to-god craftsmen that have been building these boats for so long. Of course I'm biased...

+1

Really gotta hand it to Brodie.

Ras is going to do a bangup job with the 3D modeling - way better than my work.

With all the work I'm doing with Soņadora and 3 really busy kids, I just felt I was letting the Catarí team down by not being able to keep up.

However, doesn't mean I won't be doing ANY 3D work. I got a call 2 weeks ago out of the blue from Walt Shulz. He commissioned some renderings of a neat little 46' powerboat. Powerboats are easy. I had a nice little model rendered up for him in no time.

Walt's a real character.

#206 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,243 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:49 AM

There is still a long way to go to finish the 3D model but I thought I'd give you a preview of Rasps' work. There are a coupe of minor details that he will adjust today and the cebnter cockpit is not in this image yet but I think this gives you a good idea of the boat.

Attached Files

#207 Greever

Greever

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:12 PM

Looks funny without the rig and the centercockpit. :blink:

#208 Nessun Dorma

Nessun Dorma

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, cooking, red wines of certain ages and styles, any good scotch, woman of certain ages and shapes, my gorgeous wife, my kids, the Coen brothers, and Ronald Reagan.

Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:26 PM

Looks funny with that strange woman aft

#209 kdh

kdh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:23 PM

Is the tumblehome aft new?

#210 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,243 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:06 PM

kdh:
There has always been tumblehome aft. ND wanted it and I thought it suited the look we are after. Rasps and I have been working with that transom corner "roll over" to get just the right look to the transom and I think it exagerates the tumblehome a bit. But there is most definetely tumblehome in the topsides. Rasps renders. I say, "Let's try this." Rasps renders again. He says "Let me try this." and round and round we go until we are happy with the outcome. It's really a lot of fun. We made a major change to the center cockpit coaming yesterday. A brilliant change if I do say so myself. Unfortunately it was not my idea. It was ND's idea and he was spot on.

#211 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,787 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:26 PM

Just to be clear that there's been many (hundreds) of hours spent creating renderings of this vessel throughout the design process. For those who are new to this thread, you can get a good feel for the start of this adventure by reading the 'Drool' thread here.

I don't usually go around beating my own horn, but I kinda feel like my work has been just sorta pushed under the table.

I'm sorry that after 2 years of work I was not able to keep going. It wasn't fair to Bob and Paul that I didn't have the time any longer to change/render/change/render. This was becoming especially challenging when working on the interior modeling.

Attached Files

#212 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,243 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:54 PM

Sons:
"pushed under the table"?
Not hardly. Your rendering work was the very basis for the look of the boat as it now is. We would not be where we are now without your efforts early on. There is no way I can forget the countless hours you put into getting the look of this boat right. Not to mention your infinite patience having to deal with my nagging.

I'll say this. I think the WLYDO has a 3D division headed by Sons and Rasps that is equal to the 3D work available from any office in the world. And that is not BS.

#213 Nessun Dorma

Nessun Dorma

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, cooking, red wines of certain ages and styles, any good scotch, woman of certain ages and shapes, my gorgeous wife, my kids, the Coen brothers, and Ronald Reagan.

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:16 PM

Sons? Rick? Under the table? Dude you were part if the design of the fucking table and then made it elegant! Earth to sons? Under the table? Good god man you're welcome back on my team any minute of any day. But life intrudes and sometimes real boats, real wives, real jobs and most importantly real kids, intrude and take precedence. Bob and I respect those choices as much or more than anyone here.

HTFU. Man!!!!

#214 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,787 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:18 PM

Sorry guys. I sounded kind of whiney. I was stuck at home all day with my 6 y.o. yesterday. Don't get me wrong, I love her to pieces but it takes a couple days to get back to my regular maturity level which is somewhere around 23. ;)

#215 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,243 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:25 PM

"Kind of whiney"?

You want whiney? I perfected whiney.
I just couldn't render it in 3D.

And to make it clear, that beautiful book you produced on all your rendering efforts is always ON TOP of my table. I show it off frequently.

Pack your 6 year old onto a plane and send her out to Uncle Bob. I'll take good care of her. We'll go fishing. I'll teach her how to make faces when the dogs fart.

#216 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,243 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:59 PM

Rasps is working on the center cockpit today so that will be fun to see with it's new and improved shape.

Attached Files

#217 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,787 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:09 PM

Rasps

If you have control over diffuse or specular settings for the black on the hull, crank those down a bit and the black will be less washed out.

Hull looks great. I'm assuming you created it from Bob's lines or did you use Ivan's model?

If you want any of the models I created for rigging or hardware, let me know. I can provide those to you as Rhino or IGES or STEP or whatever.

#218 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,445 posts
  • Interests:~~/)/)~~

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:09 PM

I think it makes a pretty sharp powerboat. Too much keel, though. ;)

#219 blackjenner

blackjenner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,625 posts
  • Interests:MrsBlack, Brigadoon, freedom

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:18 PM

I have a pilot house design question about Catari.

On Brigadoon, while sitting in the cockpit, I can see through the entire house forward and ahead of the boat. I consider this a great feature of this pilot house. I really appreciate it that Bob designed it that way.

I couldn't find a pic showing the effect but, this can suffice:

Posted Image

In the drawings I've seen the two rear facing bulkheads of the pilot house are solid. Is there some part of the design of Catari that makes this possible that I can't see?

#220 Nessun Dorma

Nessun Dorma

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:28 PM

Two points:

Anyone 5'5" or taller at the helm can see over the pilot house.

There will be windows aft to look through, they are just not shown yet.

#221 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,787 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:30 PM

I think on Catari you will be far enough back from the PH that your field of view will be much less interruped by the house. Plus the cockpit sole is raised up a bit to help with the view.

#222 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,243 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:33 PM

Rick:
I send my hull lines to Ivan and Ivan creates the 3D hull file and send that to Rasper.

BJ:
You own own of the prettiest pilot house boats I ever designed at any LOA. And the truly amazing thing is I did it with a pencil and paper and the magic yacht design tools of yore. (I always wanted to say "of yore".) There was no 3D modelling. It didn't exist back then. I just trusted my eye and crossed my fingers. Now I have guys like Sons and the Rasper to do 3D work so I still trust my eye, but I don't have to cross my fingers any more.

#223 Beau.Vrolyk

Beau.Vrolyk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,269 posts
  • Interests:Sailing on any and everything that floats. Skiing when the rainfall turns semi-solid and white.

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:24 PM

There is still a long way to go to finish the 3D model but I thought I'd give you a preview of Rasps' work. There are a coupe of minor details that he will adjust today and the cebnter cockpit is not in this image yet but I think this gives you a good idea of the boat.

WOW.... just WOW!

I would buy a powerboat in a minute if it looked like that!!!

Bob, when I'm an even older fart than I am now I want you to do me a powerboat that looks like that!!!

BV

#224 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,243 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:31 PM

BV:
You are on pal! I can't wait.

I piss and moan at the Rapster and then he turns around and gives me this:
What can I say?

Attached Files

#225 kdh

kdh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:20 PM

I like the "hey, it's plastic, we can make the shapes as practical as we want" approach to the deck. It seems difficult to make it all work and look right. Is the helm seat removable? I've never sat at my helm. I always stand, sit only when on autopilot.

#226 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,243 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:29 PM

kdh:
Well, there you have it. Everyone pays so much attention to the cockpit seats and the helm seat but they seldom look at the way people really sit in a cockpit. I do. I fucking study it.
The way you sit in a cockpit while you are sailing is not the same way you sit in a cockpit at a boat show.

Our helm seat is raised so Sue can see over the PH when motoring along.
The helm seat is an integral part of the transom door. It's a complex geometry that the Rasper will model soon.

Yes, it is plastic, in a way, and there is no reason to not take advantage of al the compexities and interplays of shapes that "plastic" allows. This is a not a "woodenwannabe". This is a modern boat.

#227 kdh

kdh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:49 PM

kdh:
Well, there you have it. Everyone pays so much attention to the cockpit seats and the helm seat but they seldom look at the way people really sit in a cockpit. I do. I fucking study it.
The way you sit in a cockpit while you are sailing is not the same way you sit in a cockpit at a boat show.

Our helm seat is raised so Sue can see over the PH when motoring along.
The helm seat is an integral part of the transom door. It's a complex geometry that the Rasper will model soon.

Yes, it is plastic, in a way, and there is no reason to not take advantage of al the compexities and interplays of shapes that "plastic" allows. This is a not a "woodenwannabe". This is a modern boat.

I'm short too, so I when I stand I stand on the helm seat to see over the dodger when maneuvering under power, but my head is still lower than the boom. Sailing I sit on the cockpit coaming on the leeward side if I'm steering. I imagine a lot of people do this. I wondered if the helm seat on Catari would be too high for ND to stand on. I'm sure you've thought all of this out.

You seem a little cantankerous, Bob. I like that word. Your last point is exactly my thought on the deck shapes.

#228 steele

steele

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:51 PM

This is one of those details that have proably already been thought out, but it looks like there will be an opening hatch at the aft end of the pilothouse. I understand the benefit as to light and seeing the rig under sail, but since this is an open air area, might a fixed skylight be better?

I will now retrurn to cower on the sidelines.

#229 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,243 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 12:05 AM

Steele:
No. That was discussed and decided.
I'll join you cowering. I lost that one.

#230 SpongeDeckSquareFoil

SpongeDeckSquareFoil

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 12:41 AM

I like those tweaks on the center cockpit. That looks great. Nice place to sit and have a cold one.
Assuming the model is still in progress, are the round ports on the topsides still in or are they being modified?

#231 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,243 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 01:02 AM

Foil:
For now they are in.

But we are not a rigid lot. We are fluid. If a better idea presents itself we will jump on it.

Right now we are fairly confident that we have reached an uncommon level of design.
I say it modestly but not really. I am arrogant in our productive excellence.

The fact is that this boat is so fucking sexy that the rest of you are speechless! Speechless I say!
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Woof!
I'll now go listen to the 2nd symphony of Sibelius.
I like it because it makes me angry. Sibelius was angry and he fed on that anger.
I think I'll have some desert and be angry.

On a lighter note I finally logged onto Spike's Memorial site today. I haven't been able to go there since he died. But I was so starved of his presence. I have worn out looking at the photos I have on my Picassa program. I know themk all too well. I needed some new images. Something that would bring him back to life even for a tiny moment.

Do not feel bad. I'll do the feeling bad around here.

#232 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,719 posts
  • Interests:SWMBO

Posted 09 May 2012 - 01:09 AM

1336516263[/url]' post='3704539']
BV:
You are on pal! I can't wait.

I piss and moan at the Rapster and then he turns around and gives me this:
What can I say?

she is one very handsome vessel!!

#233 Joli

Joli

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 01:31 AM

I like it, the extra foot in the aft cockpit and the contour of the center cockpit looks nice. It's a funny thing, even at 60 foot there is never enough room for gear.

Carry on.

#234 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,243 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 01:44 AM

Joli:
You are so right. Even at 60' you still fight for inches. I'd like 120 inches please.
But then I would want more.
Designers like LOA.

#235 Cherie320

Cherie320

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • Interests:...

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:00 AM

Speechless, you got that right. Just amazing.

#236 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,787 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:59 AM

Sibelius, Finns and anger all pretty much are par for the course.

#237 Jose Carumba

Jose Carumba

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 03:24 AM

Looking great Bob. I especially like the tumblehome rollover at the transom. It's that level of attention to detail that makes your boats stand out.

In Sons and Rasp you have two of the best modelets/renderers I have seen.

#238 floating dutchman

floating dutchman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,893 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:57 AM

Looking dam sexy ND and Bob.

But, I gotta say it. Sons work is better.

#239 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,787 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:28 AM

FD

I appreciate the props, but keep in mind Rasp is just getting started. He's done pretty well in a short period of time and I'd be willing to bet he's obsessing over it right now. ;)

#240 floating dutchman

floating dutchman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,893 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:31 AM

FD

I appreciate the props, but keep in mind Rasp is just getting started. He's done pretty well in a short period of time and I'd be willing to bet he's obsessing over it right now. ;)

Yea, fair call. I didn't mean to run down Rasp's efforts, It's just that your work is, well, awsome.
He /she? has big shoes to fill.

#241 The Advocate

The Advocate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,360 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:04 AM

Just sittin and watchin....

#242 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,243 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:46 AM

kdh:
Me? Cantankerous? Nooooooooo

FD:
That's not fair. At this stage you should not compare their work. Son's and Rasp's work represent two distinct stages in this project. Sons rendering work was during the conceptual stage of the design when the changes were coming everyday and it was all Sons could do to keep up and provide us with a clear look of where we were and where we needed to go next. Without a doubt Sons was very good at that job and we did not make it easy for him. But now we are well beyond conceptual design and into the working drawings. Rasps work will become the tool from which CNC patterns will be cut so precision is required. We can dress up the images later with gear and trim but for now I want the model to be exactly what I have drawn so I can see exactly what needs to be changed, if it does require changing.

#243 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,243 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:57 AM

Here are a couple more angles for you.

Attached Files

#244 Innocent Bystander

Innocent Bystander

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,788 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 12:03 PM

Bob,

If I understand you correctly, Son's work was based on preliminary lines where some "artistic license" was OK to display the conceptual shape while Rasp is putting together renderings absolutely faithful to the actual lines so the build up is critical as ultimately his work will become teh source data for CNC offsets.

Two incredible stages in supporting the design of a wonderful boat.

#245 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,445 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 12:04 PM

Nice back! Can't wait to see it decorated with davits. ;)

#246 kdh

kdh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 12:18 PM

Tom, you're a wise guy.

That's some glossy-ass bottom paint! The tumblehome rollover looks just right to my eye. I hate the boatname font.

#247 Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,742 posts
  • Interests:Learning to adjust to retirement...so far, so good.

Posted 09 May 2012 - 12:19 PM

GREAT!! Now WLYDO has two talented renderers and Bob moves me out of my office to make room!!
I'll sure be glad when all the engineering types are done and someone brings me the lines to model...it's lonely in my office here in the basement.

(Oh, and Bob...Ruby threw up a rotten fish into my shoes)

#248 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,704 posts
  • Interests:It's Obvious!

Posted 09 May 2012 - 12:24 PM

GREAT!! Now WLYDO has two talented renderers and Bob moves me out of my office to make room!!
I'll sure be glad when all the engineering types are done and someone brings me the lines to model...it's lonely in my office here in the basement.

(Oh, and Bob...Ruby threw up a rotten fish into my shoes)

Posted Image

And Bob took your Swingline stapler!

#249 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,243 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 12:46 PM

kdh:
I'm with you on the name font. I have asked for something more formal and classic looking. But this is an area where I seldom have a say in the outcome and really it's not going to change the way the boat sails. But it is another aesthetic detail that I'd like to have some control over. I 5think Rasper has beena wee bit busy with more important design elements to spend much time on the font. What you see here was an effort to explore the size of the name and how it would fit on the transom.

How am I doing? Less cantankerous? But it's early here. Let me get warmed up.

#250 Tucky

Tucky

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 12:47 PM

Tom, you're a wise guy.

That's some glossy-ass bottom paint! The tumblehome rollover looks just right to my eye. I hate the boatname font.

And I'd look at the arc of the lettering as well- you have to deal with the arc of the top of the transom ad well as the curve of the surface, and the height most people are looking from is important too. Lots of boats don't get this right- a good marine name painter will understand.

#251 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,243 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 12:53 PM

Tuck:
Good point. Maybe we need to roll the letterring so it runs almost parallel to the top of the transom.
I'll mention that to the Rasper.

#252 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,445 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:03 PM

Tom, you're a wise guy.

Only sort of kidding. I want to see the cool dink that ND is going to put on those davits too! Kidding about the rod holders, but would put them on my own boat. I didn't notice the font and don't care enough about fonts to scroll back up and look.

"I need frequent reminding that technical considerations shouldn't automatically override aesthetics." -- P. Bolger ;)

#253 kdh

kdh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:46 PM

kdh:
I'm with you on the name font. I have asked for something more formal and classic looking. But this is an area where I seldom have a say in the outcome and really it's not going to change the way the boat sails. But it is another aesthetic detail that I'd like to have some control over. I 5think Rasper has beena wee bit busy with more important design elements to spend much time on the font. What you see here was an effort to explore the size of the name and how it would fit on the transom.

How am I doing? Less cantankerous? But it's early here. Let me get warmed up.

Less cantankerous. Not that I mind either way. See my avatar for my font choice. "Goudy," or something like that.

Tom, I think ND is going with a Dyer Dhow. I have a Dyer Midget.

Posted Image

#254 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,243 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:54 PM

kdh:
Your name font is what I have in mind, maybe gold with a thin pinstripe in red to outline the letters.

#255 kdh

kdh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 03:24 PM

kdh:
Your name font is what I have in mind, maybe gold with a thin pinstripe in red to outline the letters.

Here's a better shot. There is a red outline. Hinckley still use real gold leaf on the sailboats.

Posted Image

#256 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,445 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 03:30 PM

kdh:

Here's a better shot. There is a red outline. Hinckley still use real gold leaf on the sailboats.

Posted Image

Nice try, but my eye still went right to the little blue boat hangers. ;)

#257 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,243 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 03:31 PM

kdh:
Very close to what I have in mind but this will be ND's call.
I think I'd like to see the same font but maybe a little "stockier".

#258 Rasputin22

Rasputin22

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 03:48 PM

KDH, You are spot on about the arc to the transom name matching the top of the transom and your photo of your boat is a great example. Bob and I had discussed that element but I wasn't going to deal with that until the vote is in on a font. Besides, I have to arc it one way to lay against he transom and now you want me to bend it the other way... And Bob is right, they are keeping me pedaling as fast as I can on major elements but assure you that the name won't get overlooked. Do you know the name of that font?

Rasp

#259 Tucky

Tucky

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:33 PM

KDH, You are spot on about the arc to the transom name matching the top of the transom and your photo of your boat is a great example. Bob and I had discussed that element but I wasn't going to deal with that until the vote is in on a font. Besides, I have to arc it one way to lay against he transom and now you want me to bend it the other way... And Bob is right, they are keeping me pedaling as fast as I can on major elements but assure you that the name won't get overlooked. Do you know the name of that font?

Rasp

Having painted a few names myself, and having watched some real good folks, including the folks at Hinckley back in the day, I'd be surprised if any rendering program could do this detail as well as a human, when painted on the boat itself. The letters don't even end up parallel or even perpendicular to the arc, and getting the name to lay right, assuming the transom is not flat, is more art than science. A good painter understands the details, just like adjusting the gaps between the letters depending on the name- there isn't anything simple about it, and sign painters who understand the weight of different letters in any given font are only part way there.

Of course I'll also tell you that Catari is not going to fit no matter what you do- CATARI just isn't going to balance. Part of why I named my boat SORN.Posted Image

Same thing is true of waterlines. If you make them even thickness when looked at from the plane of the water (fixing the problem created if you make them even thickness measured on the hull that anyone can see if the waterline is done with tape) they will appear to shrink at bow and stern- only swimmers actually would see the boat from the flat angle, the rest of us are a certain height above the water and our eyes don't quite compensate. If you bring the ends up too much our eyes will see it, but you have to bring them up some or they won't appear flat.

I've spent a lot of time with a loooong level working on this, and changing it year after year till it was right- it is easy to see but hard to do.

#260 blackjenner

blackjenner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:39 PM

Two points:

Anyone 5'5" or taller at the helm can see over the pilot house.

There will be windows aft to look through, they are just not shown yet.

Just noticed them in the latest drawings. That makes perfect sense to me.

#261 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,243 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:06 PM

Tucky:
Balance?
You should have named your boat BOB.

#262 Tucky

Tucky

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:15 PM

Tucky:
Balance?
You should have named your boat BOB.

AHA

My previous boat was ION- been down that road

#263 kdh

kdh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:03 PM

There seems to be a trend to use a different sans serif font for the hail port. I don't like it. I don't like it one bit.

Raps, my font is "Goudy Old Style." Goudy Old Style (also known as just Goudy) is an old-style classic serif typeface originally created by Frederic W. Goudy for American Type Founders (ATF) in 1915.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#264 SailAR

SailAR

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:40 PM

[quote name='kdh' timestamp='1336590234' post='3706241']
There seems to be a trend to use a different sans serif font for the hail port. I don't like it. I don't like it one bit.

+1 definitely don't like the substantially different font for hail port.

We had gold leaf with red outline on our flag blue boat. On the current gray, we went gold leaf with black. On Catari with a black hull, the red will make the name pop.

While I have all the respect in the world for the talent of a sign painter, I've gone to the darkside with vinyl. It's still gold leaf and I don't any of you could tell unless you walked right up to it. Difference is that if it gets scratched or anything happens to it, it is quick, cheap and easy to replace. It also seems to have better longevity/fade resistance than paint/gold leaf from my previous experiences.

#265 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,787 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:38 PM

Don't forget, it's CATARÍ note the accute mark

To get it in caps, use: Alt+0205

Lower case use: Alt+0238

And the numbers have to be typed on the number pad. So, to do a caps I accute, hold down the alt key and press 0205 on the number pad.

And if you're wondering, yes it's legal to have it spelled that way on the transom. You can't register it with that however. Only English Alphabet letters.

#266 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,243 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:47 PM

Yeah, Sons is right you have to have that accent grave or accent whatever to make it sound right.

I'm sitting here, on the Group W bench, thinking if they are arguing about the font of the name I must have got the rest of it right.

I will now walk my dogs with a smug look on my face. The dogs will be puzzled.
"What's with your face?"

#267 Rasputin22

Rasputin22

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:56 PM

Don't forget, it's CATARÍ note the accute mark

To get it in caps, use: Alt+0205

Lower case use: Alt+0238

And the numbers have to be typed on the number pad. So, to do a caps I accute, hold down the alt key and press 0205 on the number pad.

And if you're wondering, yes it's legal to have it spelled that way on the transom. You can't register it with that however. Only English Alphabet letters.

Thanks Sons,

I've already been tasked to include that dipthong or accute or accent, whatever it is... Haven't taken the time to look up the unicode yet, thanks for saving me the trouble. Rasputin

#268 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,445 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:13 PM

I've been saying it to myself wrong this whole time?

#269 Jose Carumba

Jose Carumba

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:30 PM

I don't like the block letters for the hailing port either. CFR46-67.123 only states that the letters be clearly legible and at least 4" tall. I've seen plenty of documented vessels with the hailing port in letters smaller than 4" though.

#270 Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,742 posts
  • Interests:Learning to adjust to retirement...so far, so good.

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:37 PM

I don't like the block letters for the hailing port either. CFR46-67.123 only states that the letters be clearly legible and at least 4" tall. I've seen plenty of documented vessels with the hailing port in letters smaller than 4" though.

Like this?

Font, Vivaldi...

#271 PNW Matt B

PNW Matt B

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:28 PM

While I have all the respect in the world for the talent of a sign painter, I've gone to the darkside with vinyl. It's still gold leaf and I don't any of you could tell unless you walked right up to it. Difference is that if it gets scratched or anything happens to it, it is quick, cheap and easy to replace. It also seems to have better longevity/fade resistance than paint/gold leaf from my previous experiences.

Where are you getting gold leaf in vinyl? Most of the attempts I've seen look like someone fed a yellow candle to a goose and smeared the shit on the boat. If someone's made a good-looking gold vinyl lettering, I'd be very interested.

#272 SailAR

SailAR

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:40 PM

It was island boat lettering on Long Island... Will see if I can find a picture and link to website. Found them at the NYC boat show a few years ago.

#273 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,243 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:01 AM

It's like there is this 6' tall, 146 lb. naked natural blond with huge real tits, like pie plates, with the nipples sticking up at 25 degree angles (parallel to centerline) and all you guys can talk about is the color of her toe nail polish.

#274 kdh

kdh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:05 AM

And there is the matter of being required to list a state as part of the hail. If it's "Newport," well, yeah, there's a lot of ambiguity. But to see "Nantucket, Mass." Or worse, "Nantucket, MA"

I don't like it one bit.

Bob, yes, the boat will be beautiful. Due in large part to your skill. But I, and I suspect others, am blown away by your willingness to oblige someone so cheerfully on a dream quest like the one ND is on.

Except when you're cantankerous, of course.

#275 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,243 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:10 AM

kdh:
I am in a cantakerous mood. I was just blasting some LITTLE FEAT ( I have a new cartridge and a brand new phono stage) and getting angry about the death of Lowell George. So,,,watch it.
I'm not really cantankerous right now but I'll bet I can fake it pretty good.

#276 kdh

kdh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:15 AM

It's like there is this 6' tall, 146 lb. naked natural blond with huge real tits, like pie plates, with the nipples sticking up at 25 degree angles (parallel to centerline) and all you guys can talk about is the color of her toe nail polish.

Very humorous.

Bob, I think that you live and breath a boat and see what she'll be. When we're good at things we can see the final outcome.

I just look at boats and know when they look right and know you always make them look right and know you've given this amazing gift to Paul.

#277 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,243 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:21 AM

Gee whizz kdh, you take the catanker right out of me. That's very kind of you to say.

Now I'm derailed from my lowell George cantank.
Let's see,,,,,,,Robert Schumann died too young.
Ok I'll get angry about that.

#278 kdh

kdh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:25 AM

kdh:
I am in a cantakerous mood. I was just blasting some LITTLE FEAT ( I have a new cartridge and a brand new phono stage) and getting angry about the death of Lowell George. So,,,watch it.

I love Little Feat.

My rock band reunion jam is in a little more than a week. I've been relearning a lot of tunes, but most importantly, I need some calluses so my fingertips won't bleed. I can get a pretty kick ass sound out of my P-bass, if you'll oblige me. It's going to be fun. After thirty years since we last played Marty our drummer is just going to do a "click, click, click, click" to count it out and then BLAM it's going to be really loud 'Fool for the City," our customary opener way back when. It will be a religious experience. I'm most looking forward to playing "Son and Daughter" by Queen.

#279 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,243 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:42 AM

kdh:
I'm jealous. My Jazz bass sits here unused. I have so much shit piled on my John Eden bass cabinet in the garage I'm not even sure I can find it now. I play my J200 quite often but my pals don't get together much anymore and I just learned thsi week that our lead player is leaving his wife after 40 years so that's going to add some weirdness.

Sometimes when I have some new hi-fi gear I pull out an album that I would not normally play just to see how it sounds. As I was preparing th4e halibut cheeks for dinner I played CHIQUITA by ABBA. Not quite as stimulating as Lowell George or Bobby Schumann but it sounded quite good. Can't say I was dancing around the kitchen but maybe two years ago I would have.

Enjoy your gig and remember the bass player's creed, NEVER TOO MUCH BASS!

#280 treef

treef

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:48 AM

Maybe if Rasps can print out twenty-seven eight-by-ten color glossy pictures with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one, you guys can get the font right.

Meanwhile did someone say something about a 6' tall naked woman? All I see is pictures of a 60' boat.

#281 SailAR

SailAR

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:49 AM

kdh:

I love Little Feat.

My rock band reunion jam is in a little more than a week. I've been relearning a lot of tunes, but most importantly, I need some calluses so my fingertips won't bleed. I can get a pretty kick ass sound out of my P-bass, if you'll oblige me. It's going to be fun. After thirty years since we last played Marty our drummer is just going to do a "click, click, click, click" to count it out and then BLAM it's going to be really loud 'Fool for the City," our customary opener way back when. It will be a religious experience. I'm most looking forward to playing "Son and Daughter" by Queen.

Do we need to convince ND to rename Catari... To Dixie Chicken. B)

#282 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,325 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 01:14 AM

kdh:

I love Little Feat.

Brilliant! And there's the figurehead, as a bonus. Maybe less clothing.

Posted Image

#283 SailAR

SailAR

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 01:17 AM

Dixie Mermaid! :lol:

#284 Hike, Bitches!

Hike, Bitches!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,580 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:12 AM

Bob, fonts are important, but I can't wait to see this ride go up & down the Chesapeake. Holy cow. I hope ND announces cruises, so I can come out in my 4KSB and see the boat for 10-15 minutes as it barrels past the Patuxent!? :unsure:

kdh:

I got to see Little Feat a few years back in Naptown..big fun. A guy that I used to work for (a certain Solomons, MD sailmaker) turned me on to them. B)

It also is bad news to fall behind in this thread...it is like you are a leg behind in the VOR. It sucks not getting to it at work anymore. <_<

#285 Amati

Amati

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,666 posts
  • Interests:0 (t) = 0

Posted 10 May 2012 - 03:02 AM

kdh:

I love Little Feat.

Bi coastal Chickendom!

Bi coastal Chickendom!

Could be epic!

Have to reverse the planform of the keel though. :lol:

#286 Rasputin22

Rasputin22

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 03:21 AM

I just uploaded some fresh images for all you followers to Bob, lets hope he feels generous and shares with the masses here. I'm happy that Bob has full editorial powers here on this thread, I know how quickly things can get ugly here... If it gets past Bob, then it was worth you guys seeing.

I've got to say that this has been very challenging, but the interest here and elsewhere has been a big part of the excitement in working in this manner. As Bob said last night, we have a very capable design conjunction in place here that can achieve just what the client is seeking in a very efficient manner. The review process between Bob and I has been near 'realtime' and we hope to improve on that as this project progresses. I' just happy to be able to play a role in this amazing undertaking that Catari represents. Rasp

#287 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,243 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 03:49 AM

Rasper is pretty darn proud of his work and I am enjoying watching the process unfold. I know that ND is happy as hell with the work. So without further A-doo:

Attached Files

#288 blackjenner

blackjenner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 04:18 AM

Yeah, Bob, I think you nailed it, so to speak. :)

I think they got distracted.

#289 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,445 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:04 AM

Rasper is pretty darn proud of his work and I am enjoying watching the process unfold. I know that ND is happy as hell with the work. So without further A-doo:

I'm afraid that boat would be aground if it were in that position with respect to the Skyway bridge. ;)

Why does the large hatch that ought to be a larger skylight open aft?

#290 Tucky

Tucky

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:35 AM

I'm really liking the black hull and white cabin with less wood- especially how the doghouse fits in now.

Can't see no fonts- can I gripe about the two color cove stripe?

Are the naked women down below?

#291 Joli

Joli

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:40 AM

30 inch stanchions?

#292 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,243 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:47 AM

Tom:
Simple answer.:
There is a hatch there because that's what the client wanted.

Tucky:
The cove stripe is broken to fit in a stout rub rail. It is not a two colored stripe. If you look at the second image the rub rail is very clearly visible.

Joli:
I lost that argument.

#293 Joli

Joli

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:58 AM

And now there are sail controls in the center cockpit. Foreguy? Staysails? Reefs?

#294 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,243 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:06 AM

Joli:
Center cockpit will have main hal. and Leisure Furl winches to port and spin tack line and stays'l hal to starboard.

#295 Joli

Joli

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:23 AM

Got it, thanks. Electric I would assume?

Where do the main mast backstays and mizzen D1's land? Are they on the rail or the coach roof?

Joli:
Center cockpit will have main hal. and Leisure Furl winches to port and spin tack line and stays'l hal to starboard.

#296 kdh

kdh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:25 AM

Are the naked women down below?

Naked ladies, Tucky. Naked ladies.

Beautiful work, Bob. Fucking beautiful.

Maybe because there's no rig in the renderings yet, but her 60-footed-ness is now really evident. I agree with Tucky that the lack of a lot of wood on the exterior works well and the varnish bill will be smaller than for my 42'er.

#297 Innocent Bystander

Innocent Bystander

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,788 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:37 AM

Absolutely breathtaking.

#298 kdh

kdh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:43 AM

kdh:
I'm jealous. My Jazz bass sits here unused. I have so much shit piled on my John Eden bass cabinet in the garage I'm not even sure I can find it now. I play my J200 quite often but my pals don't get together much anymore and I just learned thsi week that our lead player is leaving his wife after 40 years so that's going to add some weirdness.

Sometimes when I have some new hi-fi gear I pull out an album that I would not normally play just to see how it sounds. As I was preparing th4e halibut cheeks for dinner I played CHIQUITA by ABBA. Not quite as stimulating as Lowell George or Bobby Schumann but it sounded quite good. Can't say I was dancing around the kitchen but maybe two years ago I would have.

Enjoy your gig and remember the bass player's creed, NEVER TOO MUCH BASS!

With my current "maturity" I realize in relearning the tunes we used to play that I used to overplay--too busy. The bass and drums lay down a foundation and any "twiddly bits," as our drummer's British mom calls them should be well chosen and special. I've heard drummer Marty's recent playing and he has come to the same place. Marty played Wembley and while there met Jimmy Page recently. Pretty cool. Had to toot Marty's horn a bit there.

#299 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,243 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:48 AM

Joli:
Normal chainplates inside the bulwark.
Main hal is electric.

#300 Nessun Dorma

Nessun Dorma

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:02 PM

Thanks guys for all the kind words. Bob & I have spent so much time on this boat that its actually exhausting (bui fun) for me. And the final details and working drawings are better yet, I'm not sure without the renderings we could be moving as fast as we have been -- you can only mock up so much in wood. Sorry I have not been in the discussion bnut I was (am) traveling and its hard. PSC begins work next month.

A few points:

The name is CATARI, accent on the "I". It does NOT rhyme with ATARI. Google the song CATARI (Core N'grato) and you can hear it..

The hatch aft over the overhang is easier and cheaper to build than a skylight, and will permit air flow out via suction.

I have not focused yet on the font size or type, as we view that as a detail. But I agree that we want classic and femininine.

There will be naked ladies on the boat, both real and made of 316 ss and wood. Hopefully not tacky (the real ones wont be). The SS mermaids adorn the pilot house sides, but there will be more. No figurhead on the sprit, sorry..

We just made the rig a little bigger too, nothing dramatic.

Yes, there will be Davits Tom; they will be custom, sweeping and an intergal part of the boat and no loook like add-ons. They will live aft with a sterm anchor on a roller, and nothing else. And yes, there will be fishing rod holders built into (part of) the davits, but they will be internal to the vertical supports and angled out about 25 degrees to each side. They will not be visible without a rod in them.

Joli, the stranchions are 34", triple lines. That was my call not Bob's. He fought me hard on that. I sail with some guys 6'7
and 6'9" ...I want the top line at the same height as the handrail at the center cockpit.

As far as what winches and gear is electric/hydraulic ... We've evolved our thinking on that and cleaned the deck plan up a lot..

I sure am glad we chose (went back to) black !t looks clean and honest without tghe wood house and the white gets us the feel we had in mind all along. Kudos to Bob. And great rendering by Rsaptutin !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users