Catamaran Characteristics

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#1 Captain John

Captain John

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:sailing and boating writer; licensed captain for sail and power.

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:42 PM

I'm looking for some pretty basic info on catamaran sailing and anchoring characteristics. Specifically small cruising cats under 40 feet. Sailing characteristics, pointing ability, pros and cons in light, moderate, and heavy air. Would appreciate any thoughts on anchoring too. I've read some--i.e. use a bridle when anchoring--but have no hands on experience. I am gathering this information for an article. Thanks ahead of time.

#2 Scarecrow

Scarecrow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,632 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:55 PM

What sort of royalty do we get if we write your story for you?

Any article you write based upon this limited brief is probably going to do people's understanding of cats a huge injustice. Maybe go back to the magazine/website you're writing for and suggest they get someone who knows something about cats to write the story.

For example when asking about pointing ability are you asking about a French style CataVan with small stub keels, A Roger Hill style cruiser designed to carry a reasonable load but with nice deep daggerboards to protect pointing and tacking ability or a M&M or Schoinning style lightweight performace cruiser.

#3 Captain John

Captain John

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:39 PM

This is not a formal article, nor are there any royalties or profits involved. I am looking for super basic pros and cons that I can put into a short article to share with a handful of folks.

#4 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,964 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:57 PM

There are cats and then there are cats. Just calling a boat a catamaran covers a lot of ground. Substitute the word "monohull" for catamaran to see what I mean.

#5 Keith

Keith

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,715 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:08 AM

There are cats and then there are cats. Just calling a boat a catamaran covers a lot of ground. Substitute the word "monohull" for catamaran to see what I mean.

Exactly.
Mr. Perry always gets straight to the point.B)

#6 Wayne

Wayne

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:44 AM

Ok I'll throw you a bone.

My boats that I've cruised all over. Seawind 1000 cat, Maine cat 30- Florida to San Diego last year, Valiant 42, Bristol Channel Cutter, Shannon, production monos such as some Hunters and benes.

My summary quick.
Mid range under 40' low tech cats suck,
Cons: Noisy at sea, unpredictable crappy motion, slow when loaded, point badly, expensive for what you get, slip fees expensive.
Pros: Wives believe the hype at the boat shows, and it's an easy sell to the family, nice on the hook if the bows are into the swell, room for toys, very safe for kids.

Personally I feel more at ease on a nice mono as the conditions get more "nautical". Not afraid of flipping but it's just a general feeling.

As soon as it gets windy enough for an under 40 cat to stretch it's legs, usually the ocean gets too rough and you have to pull the reins back just to keep the boat's motion livable.

I believe that good cat cruising starts at about 42', and with daggerboards such as a Chris White Atlantic, or Catana. Under 40 monos make much better cruising boats in general. The condomarans under 40 with those stub keels are basically motor sailors hard on the wind.

I've done it both ways, and will not go back to a cat unless I can spend over 400k and go over 42'.

Just my ramblings.

#7 WHL

WHL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,689 posts
  • Interests:Offshore, Star, Farr 30, R Boat racing, and gunkholing in classic daysailers

Posted 30 March 2012 - 06:15 AM

I'm looking for some pretty basic info on catamaran sailing and anchoring characteristics. Specifically small cruising cats under 40 feet. Sailing characteristics, pointing ability, pros and cons in light, moderate, and heavy air. Would appreciate any thoughts on anchoring too. I've read some--i.e. use a bridle when anchoring--but have no hands on experience. I am gathering this information for an article. Thanks ahead of time.

You are writing an article on a subject you know little about advising others? You might want to post your question in Multihull Anarchy forum too

#8 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,793 posts
  • Interests:~~/)/)~~

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:38 AM

I dunno. Maybe try skippertips.com? I hear you have to subscribe, though... ;)

#9 Captain John

Captain John

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:55 AM

Wayne,
Good info. Just the kind of thing I'm looking for. Thanks for your reply. - J

#10 bljones

bljones

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:01 PM

$48 a year for second-hand info culled from internet forums? I'm not sure whether to be appalled or to applaud the Barnum-esque nature of the venture.

#11 bljones

bljones

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:07 PM

This is not a formal article, nor are there any royalties or profits involved.

Bullshit. You are writing the article for your subscribers, so you are getting paid, pal. If you're gonna bullshit us, what makes you think we're not gonna bullshit you back? Since you don't know anything about cat sailing, but are going to publish a parrot-post on your subscription-PAID site repeating all the info you found out for FREE, you are now putting yourself out there as a cat expert- I sure hope you have a disclaimer.

#12 Slim

Slim

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Interests:Your mom.

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:57 PM

No profits or royalties because there is nothing worth paying for, sir.

#13 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,793 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:09 PM

If I were a tiny bit more motivated, I would write something about cat sailing on my website and spam this thread with it. My laziness saves CA again! :P

#14 Solen

Solen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, tweaking, fixing, sailing.

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:16 PM

It appears that you Capt. John is the Captain John of Skipper Tips, why didn't just just say so? its in your profile. Of couse others could have looked it up, and maybe they did.

The website is attractive and you have a knack for collecting information and condensing it beyond recognition and usefulness, yet keep it looking valid. You appear to have a lot of experience in advertising, you certainly have what it takes to sell "As Seen On TV" stuff.

I tried to word this carefully, you certainly have the same right as anyone else to say you are an expert. Its just that you just told this group you are not, but that you are going to write as one anyway.

to Quote your webpage:

Learn the Sailing Skills You Need for Cruising!
"Discover Little-Known Sailing Tips and Techniques to Use Wherever You Sail!"
Whether you are a new or veteran sailing skipper, this unique one-stop sailing resource center will show you those specific, one-of-a-kind sailing tips and techniques you need for safer sailing aboard any sailboat anywhere in the world.

Choose the plan that's right for you. You'll get immediate access to login and begin using all the resources available to you as a member of SkipperTips.com
Annual Membership: Best value! Annual membership just $48. That's less than $1 per week for 12 full months and you'll be kept up
to date with new information added each week. To make your life as simple as possible, your annual membership will automatically renew each year.

I had hoped you were 12 years old and living in your parents basement, in which case I would be impressed by your list writing skills. Unfortunately you are not - you state on the website that you have a lot of experience on government owned powerboats, and I can see from the picture that it is a long time since you were twelve.

In my past career I was what in law often is called a Mandated Reporter. Since I am not a paid expert witness I will however refrain from commenting further.

#15 SemiSalt

SemiSalt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,504 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:19 PM

Mid range under 40' low tech cats suck,

A very interesting critique. During the catamaran boom of the last twenty years or so, I've sometimes wondered why they all seem to be so big and expensive, especially as good accommodation is possible in a 30-footer. Now I know.

It's also a bit of an answer as to why Wharram has had success with under thirties with minimum accommodation: real cruisers don't work in that size.

#16 Captain John

Captain John

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 05:09 PM

My apologies for any misunderstanding. I should state that I write articles for other sites besides my own (i.e. Ezine Articles). I do not receive royalties or payment from these sites for any article that I write for them. I thought an informational article comparing monohulls to cats would be an interesting topic.

#17 TheFlash

TheFlash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,276 posts
  • Interests:Rum

Posted 30 March 2012 - 05:23 PM

Captain John, you do realize that Cats can be sloops, no?

I pity your readers.

#18 kent_island_sailor

kent_island_sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 05:42 PM

Here you go:
I have extensive experience with all sizes of cats and trimarans at sea. I deliver them all over the world. Under 40 feet, you need to keep the wave harmonics in check. If you go at the wrong speed, the wakes from the two bows on the inside cross near the rudders and induce a vibration. if it is just the wrong speed the autopilot will be triggered by the varying load on the rudders and run the hydraulic pump just enough to induce resonance in the DC wiring. This will quickly overwhelm the sacrificial zincs and corrode the saildrive legs badly. I have seen boats lose both drives in just a few days when sailing between 7 an 9 units of VMG to the VPP curve.

#19 PNW Matt B

PNW Matt B

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 05:45 PM

Here you go:
I have extensive experience with all sizes of cats and trimarans at sea. I deliver them all over the world. Under 40 feet, you need to keep the wave harmonics in check. If you go at the wrong speed, the wakes from the two bows on the inside cross near the rudders and induce a vibration. if it is just the wrong speed the autopilot will be triggered by the varying load on the rudders and run the hydraulic pump just enough to induce resonance in the DC wiring. This will quickly overwhelm the sacrificial zincs and corrode the saildrive legs badly. I have seen boats lose both drives in just a few days when sailing between 7 an 9 units of VMG to the VPP curve.

Some of the finest writing ever seen on this forum.

#20 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,964 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 05:50 PM

Kent:
Well done. You just can't make that shit up. Can you?

#21 narecet

narecet

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 05:58 PM

You can try, but... I once posted something about hyaluronic framistans and sinuosoidal replanaration but judging from a response, the joke was missed.

I'm glad that kent_island's effort was better received! :)

It was a better job, also, of course. Captain John should definitely use it.

#22 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,964 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 06:26 PM

Nar:
I was thinking "7 to 9 units" might be pushing it a bit. I was thinking more along the lines of 3 to 5 units. I'll run it through the interoceter and check my figures.

#23 narecet

narecet

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 06:40 PM

I'm not sure myself... past 4 units, it seems I am always hearing cries of "she cannae take much more o'this!!"

#24 Jose Carumba

Jose Carumba

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,465 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 06:49 PM

Bob, are you still using that old analog interoceter? You should try the new digital models. Some of them even have circuitry that filters out declevity patternization interference.

#25 bljones

bljones

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 06:53 PM

My apologies for any misunderstanding. I should state that I write articles for other sites besides my own (i.e. Ezine Articles). I do not receive royalties or payment from these sites for any article that I write for them. I thought an informational article comparing monohulls to cats would be an interesting topic.

Bullshit, you lying fucknuckle. Do you think we can't read?

https://www.skippert...579E7ACD475DEEB

And' here's the screenshot in case this sheet stain decides to cover his slimy trail.

What an asshole.

#26 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,793 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 06:53 PM

Did someone mention cats? I stand ready to trim the jib!

Posted Image

#27 SemiSalt

SemiSalt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,504 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 06:58 PM

Here you go:

That was fixed when the industry when to cryogenic hydraulics and propan-2-ol as the fluid. It also helps to put forward-biased Gunn diodes on any wiring with a free linear carry of more than 103.7cm.

#28 narecet

narecet

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 06:58 PM

[quote]
And' here's the screenshot in case this sheet stain decides to cover his slimy trail.

Weak.

#29 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,964 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:07 PM

Jose:
Yes, unfortunately I am still using the old gasoline powered analog interoceter. I like the reassurring thump it gives out when it produces the final answer. It wakes me up from the nap I usually take during the 2 hours it takes it to crunch the numbers. Parts are a problem now.

#30 kent_island_sailor

kent_island_sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:36 PM

I almost forgot!
If the cobalt enhancer crosslinks the polymer chains when heated about the valence point for the monomer chains, the elastomer fragments cause chemical bond reinforcement between your ass and the head seat if the head is located in the port hull.

#31 shores

shores

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:sailing fishing and more sailing

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:29 PM

http://www.wimp.com/buildit/

#32 Veeger

Veeger

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:29 PM

I'm not sure myself... past 4 units, it seems I am always hearing cries of "she cannae take much more o'this!!"

Oh Narecet! There you go again! Confusing 'units' with 'warp factor'. Sheesh! C'mon, this is highly technical shit and we can't afford errors!

#33 bljones

bljones

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:46 PM

Don't. Cross. The Streams.

#34 hobot

hobot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,691 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:00 PM

Jose:
Yes, unfortunately I am still using the old gasoline powered analog interoceter. I like the reassurring thump it gives out when it produces the final answer. It wakes me up from the nap I usually take during the 2 hours it takes it to crunch the numbers. Parts are a problem now.

Try sourcing the parts out of Slovenia, they might still have some.

#35 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,964 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:03 PM

Hobs:
Great idea. I am using the Sovtec tubes now and they are better than the Chinese tubes. I am saving my new old stock Western Electric tubes for a really important job.

#36 narecet

narecet

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:05 PM

Oh Narecet! There you go again! Confusing 'units' with 'warp factor'. Sheesh! C'mon, this is highly technical shit and we can't afford errors!

My bad!!

#37 hobot

hobot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,691 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:11 PM

Hobs:
Great idea. I am using the Sovtec tubes now and they are better than the Chinese tubes. I am saving my new old stock Western Electric tubes for a really important job.

I still get a chuckle from that ad they used to run; "In Soviet Union gasoline powered analog interoceter runs over you!"

They just don't write print ads like that anymore.

#38 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,286 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 12:48 AM

Hobs:

I still get a chuckle from that ad they used to run; "In Soviet Union gasoline powered analog interoceter runs over you!"

They just don't write print ads like that anymore.

The picture on the poster was a hoot. All those bicep-wielding women welders on camels riding over the cliff of capitalism was classic.

#39 Solen

Solen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 12:53 AM

Now you mention New-Old tubes; I need two sets for some Marantz 8 I have sitting on the shelf . Any extras?

#40 Timo42

Timo42

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 02:09 AM

Now you mention New-Old tubes; I need two sets for some Marantz 8 I have sitting on the shelf . Any extras?

You could always make your own...

#41 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,964 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 03:37 PM

Solen:
I have the original Sovtecs that came with my Audionote stereo amp. I'm not sure the NOS tubes are better but it's a bit hard to say at first listening. They need some break in time. And by then I had forgotten what the Sovtecs sounded like.
What do you need?
I'd think any shop that repairs guitar amps would have a good supply of Sovtec or Red Dragon tubes.
I got my NOS tubes from Tube World in Wisconsin. Mine were not cheap but they have a wide selection and you can pretty much spend as much as you like on good tubes.

#42 So˝adora

So˝adora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,778 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 03:46 PM

sorry I'm late to this thread. I was upgrading the encabulator to the turbo version. What'd I miss?

#43 Timo42

Timo42

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 04:41 PM

sorry I'm late to this thread. I was upgrading the encabulator to the turbo version. What'd I miss?

Why are you still messing with that dinosaur? There is a windows emulation program that provides identical results without the special oil and the radiation danger. My cat, Schr÷dinger, really got tired of the box after a while... I think.

#44 So˝adora

So˝adora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,778 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:29 PM

what can I say, I'm old-school. I still drive a manual transmission. It has three speeds: -1, -9^.5, and pi.

#45 Solen

Solen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:20 PM

Timo:

I won't be able to make my own vacuum tubes because my garage is already to small for all the stuff my wife make me keep out there. If I had to install all those machines the bed would have to go, of course in the winter season all the heat would be nice, but I like sleeping in a cold room.

Bob:

I have to dig to find the tube requirements, thanks! - I got all excited when I saw that someone else knows that heavenly glow. It is the only man made invention that compares well to fire. Also I don't have a test bench so will have to bite the bullet and send the Marantz out for repair. I was driving them balanced (strapped mono) from a professional sound card (DA Card DeLuxe) a couple years ago but the card became very unprofessional and must have gone into oscillation while I was gone - maybe a radio Moscow attack. Some of the tubes actually shattered.

I am doing a lot of boat work this summer but hope to get time to carve out a good spot for a pair off full range drivers - I have some Mark Audio 4" and may try some Bamboo cone Tang Band. The next part is a good 12V amp, I already have a preamp from a pair of Roland mini monitors that will tale SP/DIF input direct at 24/192 from the computer. If I had a catamaran I could make build in horns but that it won't fit on Solen.

Maybe I can same myself the trouble and use all my LPs for ballast - then I wont have to digitize them or find any more blank 8 tracks.

#46 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,964 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:32 PM

Solen:
I hate it when my cards start oscillating. I beat them until they are still.

Bamboo cones? Boy, what will they think of to use bamboo for next? Don't know those drivers. I'm keen to try a ribbon tweeter. But I am so happy with the sound I have now that I'm not considering new speakers. I'd like to put some new floor standers in the office, maybe NAIM Credos, but I don't really listen hard while I am working so my Audionote floor standers speakers are doing a fine job. But the CBC2 Saturday Afternooon at the opera is on now
(an opera I have appeared in and no , if you must know, they did not ask me to sing) and I bet those Credo's would sound fabulous in the office.

So little time. So much hi-fi gear.

#47 Timo42

Timo42

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:53 PM

Timo:

I won't be able to make my own vacuum tubes because my garage is already to small for all the stuff my wife make me keep out there. If I had to install all those machines the bed would have to go, of course in the winter season all the heat would be nice, but I like sleeping in a cold room.

Bob:

I have to dig to find the tube requirements, thanks! - I got all excited when I saw that someone else knows that heavenly glow. It is the only man made invention that compares well to fire. Also I don't have a test bench so will have to bite the bullet and send the Marantz out for repair. I was driving them balanced (strapped mono) from a professional sound card (DA Card DeLuxe) a couple years ago but the card became very unprofessional and must have gone into oscillation while I was gone - maybe a radio Moscow attack. Some of the tubes actually shattered.

I am doing a lot of boat work this summer but hope to get time to carve out a good spot for a pair off full range drivers - I have some Mark Audio 4" and may try some Bamboo cone Tang Band. The next part is a good 12V amp, I already have a preamp from a pair of Roland mini monitors that will tale SP/DIF input direct at 24/192 from the computer. If I had a catamaran I could make build in horns but that it won't fit on Solen.

Maybe I can same myself the trouble and use all my LPs for ballast - then I wont have to digitize them or find any more blank 8 tracks.

Wait, you should already have most of that stuff, lathe, acetylene torch, a mill is handy but not required...what do you have in your garage?

Potential mancard violation here, folks!!! :o

#48 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,793 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:04 PM

Solen:
I hate it when my cards start oscillating. I beat them until they are still.

Bamboo cones? Boy, what will they think of to use bamboo for next?

I learned yesterday about bamboo computer keyboards.

#49 bljones

bljones

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:57 PM

Timo:

Bob:

Wait, you should already have most of that stuff, lathe, acetylene torch, a mill is handy but not required...what do you have in your garage?

I'm not seeing a violation, but it may have to go to the referees. Solen has a nerdcave, but that may NOT be a mancard violation.
nerdcaves are different from mancaves, Timo. What Bill Gates has in his garage is different from say, the contents of Chip Foose's or Steve Saleen's garage Still seriously cool shit, but different. Nerdcaves are clean and loaded with diagnostic equipment and esoteric tools of precise repair , fabrication and alignment- oscilloscopes, soldering irons, fume hoods, etc. Tyvek bunny suits are not strictly required, but recommended. You can have a turnatable and a decent amp in a nerdcave. Mancaves are the home of weapons of mass destruction. Dirty, loud, grimy, the only sound system that will survive is the cheapest pair of big-ass garage sale particle-board box speakers and 8-track deck you can find, preferably with a vinyl faux briefcase full of tapes included in the purchase. Pitch out the Ronco and K-Tel tapes and keep the good stuff.

In a perfect world we would all have nerdcaves AND mancaves.

Now, there MAY very well be a mancard violation insomuch as the contents of the aforementioned nerdcave come into play. If there is one recording by Wings, Dan Fogelberg, England Dan and John Ford Coley, the Starlight Vocal Band or Pablo Cruise in the tuneage library, someone has some 'splainin' to do.

#50 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,964 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:08 PM

I'm down with that.

But if you have Chet Baker, Robert Schumann or Emmy Lou Harris your good to go.

#51 bljones

bljones

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:32 PM

And any Dave Brubeck, Etta James, or an original copy of Bitches Brew can buy back a lot of the points that one Bay City Rollers took away. Got an original copy of Sticky Fingers with the zipper that still plays? You get a lifelong pass- enjoy all the Manhattan Transfer and Boney M albums you want.

#52 Timo42

Timo42

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:40 PM

Timo:

Bob:

I'm not seeing a violation, but it may have to go to the referees. Solen has a nerdcave, but that may NOT be a mancard violation.
nerdcaves are different from mancaves, Timo. What Bill Gates has in his garage is different from say, the contents of Chip Foose's or Steve Saleen's garage Still seriously cool shit, but different. Nerdcaves are clean and loaded with diagnostic equipment and esoteric tools of precise repair , fabrication and alignment- oscilloscopes, soldering irons, fume hoods, etc. Tyvek bunny suits are not strictly required, but recommended. You can have a turnatable and a decent amp in a nerdcave. Mancaves are the home of weapons of mass destruction. Dirty, loud, grimy, the only sound system that will survive is the cheapest pair of big-ass garage sale particle-board box speakers and 8-track deck you can find, preferably with a vinyl faux briefcase full of tapes included in the purchase. Pitch out the Ronco and K-Tel tapes and keep the good stuff.

In a perfect world we would all have nerdcaves AND mancaves.

Now, there MAY very well be a mancard violation insomuch as the contents of the aforementioned nerdcave come into play. If there is one recording by Wings, Dan Fogelberg, England Dan and John Ford Coley, the Starlight Vocal Band or Pablo Cruise in the tuneage library, someone has some 'splainin' to do.

:lol: I saw mention of the bed and had to wonder...

I have the oscillyscope, am building a fume hood in the shed to go with the darkroom and the chemistry set I always wanted as a kid, and was finally able to afford, even a gas chromatograph, ain't Ebay wonderful? iI'm enjoying my second childhood. :rolleyes: Did you watch the video? That guy is something else, he has all the toys...must be single. :P

#53 Solen

Solen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:40 PM

I am afraid the Bamboo cones look much the same as the Hemp cones and for that sake paper cones.

However the Whiskey Barrel wood Pioneer mini monitors are still available - just think about that - that is So Right for a sailor. (They are supposedly quite good and and they are on sale http://www.pioneerel...kers/S-A4SPT-PM)

Bob, as they say on Amazon: If you like Opera take a look at this: http://www.youtube.c...erticalCuarteto

#54 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,286 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:42 PM

And any Dave Brubeck, Etta James, or an original copy of Bitches Brew can buy back a lot of the points that one Bay City Rollers took away. Got an original copy of Sticky Fingers with the zipper that still plays? You get a lifelong pass- enjoy all the Manhattan Transfer and Boney M albums you want.

Yep, I have the zipper album and it is still in excellent shape and the zipper still works. I also have a copy of the Spanish pressing of that album which has a couple of extra tunes to replace the ones the Inquisition didn't like. The Manhattan Transfer is all my wife's, honest.

I also have a clean copy of the Beatles White Album printed (edit) pressed on white vinyl with all the original posters and stuff...that may be worth $12 someday.

#55 Solen

Solen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:51 PM

Well I didn't breat the mancard music violation list.

As far as the required music - I will call Emmy Lou Harris' agent on monday and se if she can come over.

- but I feel like sugar on the floor by the loss of Etta!

Now you got me playing the blues.....

#56 bljones

bljones

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:55 PM

Ish, Beatles AND Stones albums? That's fucked up. Pick a side, man. You're either born in the crossfire hurricane or skipping through strawberry fields, but hewing to both is just an affront to all that is good and right and classic. Not that there's anything wrong with Beatles fans, but... "Gimme Shelter" is one of the all-time great solo nightsailing mooring- field/harbour departure tunes ever. The Beatles are what you roll out on a flat water afternoon with nervous newbies aboard.

(Oh great, last weekend it was beer snobs, this weekend I'm going to get hate mail from Beatles fans. I'm gonna go cross- park in two crip spaces in front of the grocery store just to complete the whiner trifecta.)

#57 Timo42

Timo42

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:03 PM

Ish, Beatles AND Stones albums? That's fucked up. Pick a side, man. You're either born in the crossfire hurricane or skipping through strawberry fields, but hewing to both is just an affront to all that is good and right and classic. Not that there's anything wrong with Beatles fans, but... "Gimme Shelter" is one of the all-time great solo nightsailing mooring- field/harbour departure tunes ever. The Beatles are what you roll out on a flat water afternoon with nervous newbies aboard.

(Oh great, last weekend it was beer snobs, this weekend I'm going to get hate mail from Beatles fans. I'm gonna go cross- park in two crip spaces in front of the grocery store just to complete the whiner trifecta.)

Aren't you afraid someone will beat on your Corvette with her walker?:P

You notice Solen didn't mention his garage?:huh:

#58 bljones

bljones

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:06 PM

LOL.. Do you have any idea what kind of extraordinary skill and precision it takes to occupy two crip spaces with a Smart car?

Oh, and Nina Simone. The tunage in the cave has to have some Nina Simone.

#59 Solen

Solen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:07 PM

What do you think happen to the women when the men are out sailing, in the garage, or on bulletin boards?

I can't understand a word but I will be going to the Faeroe Islands asap.

#60 bljones

bljones

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:11 PM

And gotta have some Pig Bag.

Three words- Baritone. Sax. Solo.

#61 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,286 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:29 PM

LOL.. Do you have any idea what kind of extraordinary skill and precision it takes to occupy two crip spaces with a Smart car?

Oh, and Nina Simone. The tunage in the cave has to have some Nina Simone.

I have Nina Simone as well. And Thelonius Monk, and Miles, and Bird, and a lot of other stuff. I don't listen to categories, I listen to music.

And Gimme Shelter is a great tune, but I always liked that wonderful drum shuffle that Charlie puts down on You Can't Always Get What You Want.

#62 Anomaly2

Anomaly2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • Interests:sailing, building small boats...

Posted 01 April 2012 - 01:32 AM

Three words- Baritone. Sax. Solo.

to combine the sax (though tenor, not baritone) and Stones themes, we could cue up Sonny Rollins' solo on "Waiting for a Friend"....

#63 bljones

bljones

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 02:30 AM

Good call, anomaly

#64 Timo42

Timo42

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 02:34 AM

So I get in the car to head home from the stable, storm clouds rolling in, Rolling Stones Gimme Shelter comes on the radio...just how I feel tonight.

#65 Cruisin Loser

Cruisin Loser

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,639 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, rock climbing, skiing, steatopygia, stuff

Posted 01 April 2012 - 02:01 PM

I'd never heard of Boney M until Touching the Void. Of all the shit to get stuck in your head during a near-death sufferfest. Eww.

#66 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,964 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 03:03 PM

Grace inherited Spike's hi-fi with Rega 2 turntable and a great Rega cartridge so she is now into lp's. Last night she went out into our garage and rummaged through some of the many boxes of lp's I have stored. She came in with a box full. So we sat and listened to Neil Diamond, Coltrane, Jethro Tull, Miles Davis, Supertramp, Bruce Springsteen, Elvis Costello, Wes Montgomery. It was an eclectic musical evening. I enjoyed seeing what albums she chose to take home.

#67 Salazar

Salazar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Photography, Stage Lighting, etc.

Posted 01 April 2012 - 06:36 PM

What do you think happen to the women when the men are out sailing, in the garage, or on bulletin boards?

I can't understand a word but I will be going to the Faeroe Islands asap.

Well, that was interesting, and that led to this (Eiv°r Pßlsdˇttir singing Kate Bush with a hint of Bj÷rk?):

That is the first time I've heard someone do Kate as well as Kate.

#68 bljones

bljones

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 06:53 PM

Icelandic chicks- the sex is probably freaky great, but get the fuck out with a quickness afterward, because they are just fuckin' fucked. kates cool, in a cool way, elvo+/r is just feral.

#69 kdh

kdh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:43 AM

Anything but Don Fogelberg.

#70 kdh

kdh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:58 AM

At some point it hit me. I can listen to dudes sing, or I can listen to girls sing.

#71 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,286 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 03:45 AM

It's too bad about the video, it's an excellent song.

#72 Tucky

Tucky

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 01:46 PM

As a long time music lover with a good sized collection and one used to making metaphors out of songs and bands, that is just about perfect. "I've been through the desert on a horse with no name" is the only thing I'd add. And for the kids, Bon Iver.

#73 Steam Flyer

Steam Flyer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,960 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 02:23 PM

Yep, I have the zipper album and it is still in excellent shape and the zipper still works. I also have a copy of the Spanish pressing of that album which has a couple of extra tunes to replace the ones the Inquisition didn't like. The Manhattan Transfer is all my wife's, honest.

I also have a clean copy of the Beatles White Album printed (edit) pressed on white vinyl with all the original posters and stuff...that may be worth $12 someday.

Hard hit by the realization that I have moved once too many times. I did have all that stuff, plus some albums with 3d covers (the only one I recall off the top of my head is ARS). Boxing it up and unboxing it was just too much work so I pitched the vinyl (except for some examples of music that is utterly unknown). I had a huge pile one-sided pressings, promos for radio stations, of everything from Mother's Finest to some Beatles singles and a Pink Floyd song (back when they played songs). Nowadays I don't even have a turntable.

FB- Doug

#74 Steam Flyer

Steam Flyer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,960 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 02:26 PM

So I get in the car to head home from the stable, storm clouds rolling in, Rolling Stones Gimme Shelter comes on the radio...just how I feel tonight.

Remember the instruction on the back of the album?

"For best effect, play at maximum volume"

:D

FB- Doug

#75 IrieMon

IrieMon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 02:52 PM

This thread derail is worthy of SA.....<golf clap>

Wonder if my Thelonious Monkee albums are still scratched to h-ll ?

#76 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,964 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 03:25 PM

Alone at home yesterday while the girls went shopping I played Mahler's 2nd Symphony. I have one lp by Bernstein (Capitol) and one by George Solti (Decca). The Capitol recording kicked the shit out of the Decca recording.
That's how I spent most of the afternoon. I have become the world's most boring man.

#77 Solen

Solen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 04:53 PM

Bob: You are entirely normal - how else will you know the difference.

I recently listened to the different versions of "who knows where time goes" by Sandy Denny. It is incredible to hear the difference - great singer like Judy Collins and Nina Simone loose the story and the emotional impact when they try to make it pretty or their own. I have both Sandy Denny w. Fairport Convention and Eva Cassidy, which are the better versions in my mind but I have to try to find the vinyl some day. http://www.youtube.c...me goes"&page=1

Have you heard Benjamin Zander's score-consistent version of Bethovens 5th - he plays it in Beethoven's specified time signature and it really comes to live. There's a CD of it and its on YouTube. Oh well that a whole other catamaran.

The tubes: No rush I start working on the boat asap.

6BH6 (2) input
6CG7 (2) driver
6CA7 / EL34 (2 pair)

#78 Timo42

Timo42

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:22 PM

Speaking of cats, how's Pumpkin doing, Bob?

#79 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,964 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:10 PM

Timo:
Pumpkin is just fine. She spends more time in the house these days. But given the coyote population around here that's a good thing.
She usually deposits a dead bird near the front door every other day. She's a born killer. But she loves Ruby and they are great pals.

Attached Files

#80 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,793 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:42 PM

So there's a hawk nesting in a pine in my yard and she gets really pissed off at my dog and buzzes her when she's chasing her ball.

So far I have video of the bird but have not yet caught one of the dog attacks. I'll work on it.

#81 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,964 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:03 PM

Tom:
I have never heard a hawk sing like that before. Your backyard looks very nice.
I think I might take the dogs out again for a long beach walk and consider just how lucky I am.
I'll think about all the fun years I had with Spike.

#82 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,793 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:23 PM

Hah! That wasn't singing. I speak a little hawk and can translate. She said, "GODDAMNMUTHERFUCKERTOONEARMYNESTGETTHEFUCKAWAYORILLPECKYOUREYESOUT"

Or something like that.

#83 Timo42

Timo42

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:31 PM

Timo:
Pumpkin is just fine. She spends more time in the house these days. But given the coyote population around here that's a good thing.
She usually deposits a dead bird near the front door every other day. She's a born killer. But she loves Ruby and they are great pals.

Was checking my wife's internet at the office and opened this thread without signing in...Damncat.jpg? :lol:

#84 Elegua

Elegua

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 01:54 AM

Bob: You are entirely normal - how else will you know the difference.

Have you heard Benjamin Zander's score-consistent version of Bethovens 5th - he plays it in Beethoven's specified time signature and it really comes to live. There's a CD of it and its on YouTube. Oh well that a whole other catamaran.

6BH6 (2) input
6CG7 (2) driver
6CA7 / EL34 (2 pair)

That's his signature, "one assed playing". He's an amazing speaker.

#85 Solen

Solen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:19 AM

Maybe "one buttock / one assed" sailing - as in keeping you involved and in tune with the sea - is why catamarans don't make sense unless they are the size of ferries, or small enough or sailed hard enough that you sail them on one cheek!

#86 bljones

bljones

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:49 AM

I have never heard of that album. Was that before or after "The Completion Backwards Principle"?

#87 IrieMon

IrieMon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:29 PM

I do enjoy listening to the Tubes when I anchor my cat......

Or perhaps some oldy/moldy tunes ? I like this video as it's actually "Live", versus the ever-popular lip-syncing videos from the 60s. Where can I get one of those shirts ? Probably Goodwill.....

#88 Solen

Solen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:04 PM

"The tubes: No rush I start working on the boat asap."

was released after they listened to the "Monty Python: Contractual Obligation Album" too many times.

Here's the "small print" cut which could serve as a template for the pros among you:

#89 cap10ed

cap10ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:delete account

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:54 PM

Nice piece Kent. Pure science. You have a gift !! I am anxiously awaiting your trimaran 3 sonic resonance theory. The one that postulates high speed resonance will shake the substrate out of the gelcoat and changes boat color. Was that you or some one that pretends to be you.

quote name='kent_island_sailor' timestamp='1333129332' post='3650859']
Here you go:
[/quote]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users