16 replies to this topic

#1 Estar

Estar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,417 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 02:12 PM

Steering broken and at least 3 injured. Beyond shore helo range, so helo doing are fueling on a USCG cutter helo pad. Rescue parajumper tried to jump from C130 but weather was too bad for jump to proceed. You have got to be impressed by the USCG capabilities. My best wishes to all involved.

http://www.clipperro...e-news?item=594

Weather roughly at the time of the incident. "X" roughly at the location. That's an intense crush zone with 50kt sustained wind flags, with gusts to 65kts.
Attached File  clipper.jpg   359.9K   38 downloads

#2 smackdaddy

smackdaddy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:48 PM

Just saw that story. Jeez - sounds like it was a bad wave to cause that much damage.

"We were racing along in 40-60 knot gusts," the boat's skipper Juan Coetzer said. "The sea was alive with rage. We were making good speed, sailing with the third reef in the main, surfing at 15 to 20 knots. Then at our watch change, just before the sun came up, a monstrous foaming swell broke over our stern."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17576302

#3 Estar

Estar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,417 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:24 AM

"U.S. Coast Guard crews were waiting for the weather to improve before sending a helicopter to take three sailors injured in a storm from a yacht about 400 miles off the California coast, a Coast Guard spokesman said Sunday.The Coast Guard cutter Bertholf with a helicopter on board was within range of the yacht, but could not send a rescue crew to the stricken vessel because of the weather conditions, Coast Guard Petty Officer Caleb Critchfield said early Sunday afternoon." Washington post

#4 Ozee Adventure

Ozee Adventure

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,541 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:43 AM

thanks for the updates
Mark was the media intern/yachtmaster on my boat "Qingdao" from Aus-Singapore
http://www.clipperro...e-news?item=594

#5 Estar

Estar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,417 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:35 AM

"Two of the four injured sailors on the yacht Geraldton Western Australia have been rescued by the US Coast Guard. The other two injured crew are likely to remain on the boat until it docks in San Francisco Bay in the next two days. Initially the Coast Guard had planned to airlift the injured crew to the cutter by helicopter, but it was decided the yacht's mast and rigging were too much of a hazard and they were transferred by boat instead" BBCnews

Attached File  _59428554_014420695-1.jpg   17.96K   46 downloads

#6 us7070

us7070

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,687 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:16 PM

video on BBC

#7 Leka

Leka

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,673 posts
  • Location:Tinh Gia, Central North Province, Vietnam, but I still call Australia home.

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:12 AM

Thanks USCG for a proffesional rescue and helping out an Aussie boat.

We have done our share of ocean rescues, nice to see someone else take a turn. :D

#8 Indio

Indio

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,716 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 05:05 AM

Well done USCG, nice job.

#9 I'moutahere

I'moutahere

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,810 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:07 PM

Thanks USCG for a proffesional rescue and helping out an Aussie boat.

We have done our share of ocean rescues, nice to see someone else take a turn. :D

Not an Aussie boat. Only 1 Aussie on board. They have finished now - in port.

#10 Flying Wasp

Flying Wasp

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:03 AM

Boat with the Aussie name paid for by an Aussie town looking for some publicity... I think that makes it an 'Aussie boat' regardless of how many Aussies are on it.

#11 I'moutahere

I'moutahere

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,810 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:12 AM

Boat with the Aussie name paid for by an Aussie town looking for some publicity... I think that makes it an 'Aussie boat' regardless of how many Aussies are on it.

Please yourself. Don't google the Clipper RTW site. You might find some facts.

#12 Leka

Leka

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,673 posts
  • Location:Tinh Gia, Central North Province, Vietnam, but I still call Australia home.

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:07 AM

Your being a bit pedantic JS.
Sure its owned by Clipper and it seems its registered name is CV6, but for all intents and purposes, its Geraldton WA.
I'm sure the city fathers would rather it be known as an Aussie boat than CV6. They would have spent a lot of money getting that name on the side.

Boats in the Syd-Hob change names to reflect the sponsor all the time.
No one complains about that.
Same thing different race.

We will take the Gold Coast boat as being ours as its winning, so equally so we will take Geraldton as ours.

#13 I'moutahere

I'moutahere

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,810 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:15 AM

Sure its owned by Clipper and it seems its registered name is CV6, but for all intents and purposes, its Geraldton WA.
I'm sure the city fathers would rather it be known as an Aussie boat than CV6. They would have spent a lot of money getting that name on the side.

We will take the Gold Coast boat as being ours as its winning, so equally so we will take Geraldton as ours.

If it suits you to believe that, then go ahead.

Reality is, it's a commercial operation. The various places paid money for naming rights. The boats are no more Australian than Queen Elizabeth is.

#14 thetruth

thetruth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:47 AM

Still beleive in the comparison between Volvo pro's and "pay as you go" Johnny?

Reality is, it's a commercial operation. The various places paid money for naming rights. The boats are no more Australian than Queen Elizabeth is.

#15 Potter

Potter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:08 AM

Still beleive in the comparison between Volvo pro's and "pay as you go" Johnny?

Maybe even more so now Thetruth, after all Puma are the 'American' boat. Camper Team OZ? Basically they are all running on the same model...whoever pays the bucks claims the boat.
Although I think you were aiming the comment at seamanship maybe?

#16 thetruth

thetruth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:24 AM

I actually think the Clipper event has done more for people and sailing than the Volvo and AC combined.

#17 Feral

Feral

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:45 AM

I actually think the Clipper event has done more for people and sailing than the Volvo and AC combined.

If you can afford it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users