#1 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,155 posts
  • Interests:My ride: An OCD designed Class 40

Posted 02 April 2012 - 05:51 PM

Well I been workin' every night, travelin' every day.
Yes I been workin' every night, traveling every day.
You can tell your other man, sweet daddy's on his way.

Aww, ya better believe.
Well I'm Southbound.
Whoa I'm Southbound.
Well you can tell your other man, Sweet daddy's on his way.

The mighty Dragon shoved off from Mystic about an hour and half ago, with Rob Windsor and Chris Mueseler on the helm. She is bound for Charleston and the start of the 2012 Atlantic Cup. At the moment she is in Block Island Sound, making almost 9 knots and headed for Mountauk and the open ocean. You can track her progress via AIS on www.marinetrafic.com, at least until she gets a bit further off shore.

After a very cool inagural event last year, the Atlantic Cup is gonna be kick ass this year. The organizers have added a new leg from Charleston to New York. At 620 miles or so, it provides a challenging lead-in for the tactical offshore leg from NYC to Newport and then the in-shore racing in Newport. Dragon managed to snatch a first place last year in the first leg, only to be spanked badly when it came to the inshore racing. Definitely something we plan on fixing for this year, but the bar has been raised very high in 2012. There are eleven boats signed up for the Atlantic Cup so far, and a few more possibilities in the wings. Follow the events leading up to the start at the Atlantic Cup web site. While you are there, don't forget to vote for Dragon in the on-line poll!

With the top boats in the European fleet participating in the events this year, nothing is going to come easy. To get ready, Dragon went in the water two weeks ago and is headed down to Charleston early to provide some warmer weather training opportunities. She is going to be at the City Marina for the next month, so if you are in the neighborhood drop on by.

#2 dinghydock

dinghydock

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:15 PM

You forgot to mention that this was just practice leading up the Greenport Ocean Race!!!

#3 Icedtea

Icedtea

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:21 PM

Good luck man, if you're stuck for crew.....

#4 mr_ryano

mr_ryano

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,967 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:58 PM

I'm excited to be one of the media crews for this event. Each boat will have a MCM similar to the VOR. For all you offshore fans, what's going to makw for the most compelling media content? What do you like about the Volvo MCM content and what can be better? Help us make a better viewing event for you!

#5 haligonian winterr

haligonian winterr

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts
  • Interests:Going Fast.

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:34 PM

I'm excited to be one of the media crews for this event. Each boat will have a MCM similar to the VOR. For all you offshore fans, what's going to makw for the most compelling media content? What do you like about the Volvo MCM content and what can be better? Help us make a better viewing event for you!

Personally I like to see the human side of the crew, the laughter, the tears, the little inside jokes between the guys (or gals). Also the procedure surrounding maneuvers, gybing, tacking, reefs/sail changes etc. along with different driving aspects when they get into big seas.

HW

#6 Foghorn77

Foghorn77

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:36 PM

Congrats Ryano.
I like the stories about the routines and how you deal with the day to day stuff like eating ,repairs, hygiene,shift rotations, and the things you take for granted in normal life.The stuff HW said above is good. Also the shtf condition stuff is always great.I look forward to it. Do you have any links to where you'll be posting?

#7 Mung Breath

Mung Breath

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts
  • Interests:Balance in Life

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:47 PM

Success, Mike!

#8 crusingsailor

crusingsailor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:The Maine coast, Cape Cod and the Islands, Bermuda 1-2, the Florida Keys, Bahamas. Wishful thinking: Mini 650, AZAB, Jester Challenge, Round Ireland.

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:34 PM

Is this (Atlantic Cup) going to be in the same port (Charleston) at nearly the same exact time (middle of May) as the GOR fleet???
What's that about?

#9 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:47 PM

You forgot to mention that this was just practice leading up the Greenport Ocean Race!!!

True. Although one could say that my entire sailing career, nay perhaps even life, has been in preparation for the Greenport Ocean Race.

Good luck man, if you're stuck for crew.....

Thanks. Appreciate that, although I am actually all set in that regard.

Success, Mike!

Thanks!

#10 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:50 PM

Is this (Atlantic Cup) going to be in the same port (Charleston) at nearly the same exact time (middle of May) as the GOR fleet???
What's that about?

Yes, same time and same port.

Hard for me to say since I did not organize either of the races, but I guess one factor is that it is a great destination and has all the elements to make for a good host port.

For the Atlantic Cup, I know the goal has been to have an event that would not conflict with the rest of the calendar and that May was a good window to stage such an event. The goal laso has been to have a multi-stage event, something where each leg would test the sailors in different ways. Sort of like the Figaro in that respect. The addition of the Charleston to NYC leg was a natural extension in service of that idea. The fact that it coincided with the GOR in Charleston at the same time was a lucky coincidence.

It definitely makes it easy for the person who might be interested in checking out what the Class 40 is all about to get a good eyeful of a large number of boats at one time!

#11 mr_ryano

mr_ryano

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,967 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:27 PM

Congrats Ryano.
I like the stories about the routines and how you deal with the day to day stuff like eating ,repairs, hygiene,shift rotations, and the things you take for granted in normal life.The stuff HW said above is good. Also the shtf condition stuff is always great.I look forward to it. Do you have any links to where you'll be posting?

www.atlanticcup.org is the official site. I'll also be sending stuff here and to Sailing World

#12 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,345 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:40 PM

Hey Mike is Museler your crew for the offshores?

#13 kokopelli

kokopelli

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:22 PM

Mike, do you know of any of the US boats which are also competing in the Quebec-St Malo Transat?

Good luck on the Atlantic Cup!

#14 Laser1

Laser1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:24 AM

Good luck Mike. Will keep fingers XX'd for a good result in the AC.

Say hi to Rob.

#15 Flying Wasp

Flying Wasp

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:33 PM

Would love to see some of the technical stuff that you don't see of get access to on your average day-to-day ride. Clean did a piece a while back where they explained the mechanics of a halyard lock and I thought that was pretty interesting. I got the concept a long time ago, but someone walking you through the mechanics of how the thing locks was pretty cool (at least to me). It would also be interesting to point out any hardware, layout thoughts or go-fast pieces that could be applied to your average point-to-point racer. I would imagine these boats have some good examples of trickle-down technology that do not have the unobtanium VOR price tags that could give us something to think about.

#16 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:00 PM

Chris and I are going to be kicking ass for the second leg, and Merf Owen is on-board for the first leg. There is a tiny chance that a work commmitment is going to keep me chained to the desk for the first leg, and if so then Chris is going to step up for me in the first leg with Merf.

The third leg fully crewed team is going to be something to behold - more on that at a later date.

#17 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:07 PM

Mike, do you know of any of the US boats which are also competing in the Quebec-St Malo Transat?

Good luck on the Atlantic Cup!

Hope things are doing well for you in the PNW - we miss you back east.

It does not look like any of the US boats are going to be doing the Quebec - St Malo, unfortunately. I would love to but I need to recharge the wallet and the vacation bank before doing another transat.

#18 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:08 PM

Good luck Mike. Will keep fingers XX'd for a good result in the AC.

Say hi to Rob.

Thanks! Rob and I were talking about your bacon sammies the other day.

#19 Icedtea

Icedtea

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:49 PM

I was joking about crew, best of luck, take it home

#20 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:24 PM

I was down in Charleston this past weekend, getting Dragon sorted. The work list is getting pretty short, which hopefully will mean nothing but practice for the next three weekends.

The basin at City Marina is starting to look exciting. Six Class 40's tied up as of Sunday evening and that number may double as soon as this coming weekend with a pack of boats expected in from Mexico after their transit from the end of the Solidaire du Chocolat. If you are US based and you ever wanted to check out what the Class 40's are all about, now is the time to do it. Different designs, different approaches to hardware and rigging choices, different layouts. Check out the fleet in Charleston, New York City or Newport.

If any one wants to stop by, I am going to be on the boat this coming weekend and happy to show people the boat. Drop me a PM and we can figure out some time.

#21 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:48 AM

Fifteen. We are up to fifteen fricken Class 40's entered in the Atlantic Cup.

This is gonna be awesome.

#22 Merf Owen

Merf Owen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:07 AM

This is as big and as competitive a fleet as we get in Europe for races like the Fastnet, Normandy Channel Race, even the Worlds/Mondial. This is a BIG deal whichever way you cut it, but for the US it's indeed awesome. Hugh and Julianna have done a fantastic job to provide this event for the sailors to compete in. I hope they get the support off the water as much as on it to help ensure that this becomes as fixed in the Class 40 calendar as the Route du Rhum, TJV and Chocolat - the races that have fed the European boats to this event.

These are not just any fifteen Class 40s, of the fifteen, there are eleven third and fourth generation boats, the latest of which was launched only this year, the US flagged Boadacious Dream. There are also some of the most experienced Class 40 pro sailors from Europe on the boats, Joerg Riechers (winner of the Chocolat du Solidaire), Marc Lepesqueux (Mini Transat winner and Joerg's crew), Halvard and Miranda (Whitebreads, Volvo and five years in Class 40's). I could go on and on naming the other yachties with significant time/victories in Mini, Figaro and Class 40s.

Although there are 'only' five of North Americas sixteen Class 40's in the race, there are eleven US sailors on seven boats leaving Charleston. When I step off Dragon in New York that'll increase to twelve and this includes US sailor Jesse Naimark-Rowse who (on our 2009 40 Degrees design) placed third in last years Transat Jacques Vabres, the best performance in any Transat in this Class by a US sailor so far. North American (because there are three Class 40's in Canada let's not forget the Canucks) sailors doing all these miles on this kind of boat is a huge step forward for short-handed offshore sailing on the 'other side' of the Atlantic. I say this because it seems to me that the class and the short-handed discipline in North America now has the crticial mass and the momentum to carry itself forward. Amazing, given the times we're living in. More boats and owners need to be attracted still (particularly on the west coast) and it's key that races like the Atlantic Cup are supported by home boats and that as much as possible pre-chosen events are attended 'en masse' rather than the fleet dispersing and showing up to a wider range of regattas in ones and twos. This communication is already happening and of course it's Rail Meat's enthusiasm for the class that's making that happen.

This is going to be a great fleet to sail in. I hope SA people and other come down to see the boats in Charleston, NYC and Newport. On a personal note, people who know me know I never get 'excited' until twenty four hours before a race, even a big event like the TJV I did with Kip. However, I am this time. Besides the usual challenge of sailing in such a great fleet, I love Charleston and I've already imagined in my minds eye racing past the statue of liberty for the first time into New York harbour. Christ, it's going to be great ! You don't get fog there this time of year do you?

PS
Mike, Rob, Joe, Nick, Eric, - I haven't forgotten about you guys crossing the water to sail with us in the 'old' world. That's fantastic and an amazing individual commitment and achievement to do so and in this narrative it's almost gone by un-noticed. It's great to see the 'stars and bars' on the back of boats in the channel ports and I know that it's a talking point on the docks and your presence adds more than a bit of colour to the events, but I wrote the piece above (almost completly ignoring the Transat dimension) because I'm just stoked to see such an event as the Atlantic Cup doing so well on your home shores.

#23 StayinStrewn

StayinStrewn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, snowboarding, hockey

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:56 AM

When will the fleet be in NYC and where, North Cove?

#24 bobothehobo

bobothehobo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:12 PM

Chris and I are going to be kicking ass for the second leg, and Merf Owen is on-board for the first leg. There is a tiny chance that a work commmitment is going to keep me chained to the desk for the first leg, and if so then Chris is going to step up for me in the first leg with Merf.

The third leg fully crewed team is going to be something to behold - more on that at a later date.

Nice!

Good luck Mike! I may catch up with you in NYC but if not see you in Newport.

-Britt

#25 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:54 PM

When will the fleet be in NYC and where, North Cove?

Rough ETA around late in the evening of Monday the 14th of May. Pro Am on that Friday the 18th and then start for Newport on Saturday morning the 19th. We will all be in North Cove.

Nice!

Good luck Mike! I may catch up with you in NYC but if not see you in Newport.

-Britt

Excellent! Looking forward to catching up.

#26 redboat

redboat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,278 posts
  • Interests:none

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:46 AM

Wow, that's quite a fleet!!! RM must be downright giddy.

Ryano's coverage of the last VOR stopover in Boston contained some of the best SA interviews ever. His assignment to coverage of this event bodes well and whatever resources/access are dedicated to his reporting efforts will be well spent. Looking forward to it.

Good Luck RM. This could definitely be worth the jaunt to Newport to check out the fleet.

#27 mr_ryano

mr_ryano

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,967 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:06 PM

Wow, that's quite a fleet!!! RM must be downright giddy.

Ryano's coverage of the last VOR stopover in Boston contained some of the best SA interviews ever. His assignment to coverage of this event bodes well and whatever resources/access are dedicated to his reporting efforts will be well spent. Looking forward to it.

Good Luck RM. This could definitely be worth the jaunt to Newport to check out the fleet.

Thanks! Here is the schedule of events for any NYC area Anarchists:

Schedule:!
• Boats finish the Charleston to New York leg May 14th - 15th !
• The finish line is just off the southwest corner of North Cove Marina. Follow the online
race tracker for up to the minute location of the fleet.
!
• May 15th-17th: Fleet will be docked at North Cove Marina!
• Stop in between 9am-5pm daily to see the boats and meet the skippers. !
• Look for the Atlantic Cup flags to find the fleet!
• Due to the Pro-AM on May 18th, the fleet will be in the marina from 9am-12pm and from
4pm on!
!
• May 18th:VIP Pro AM & Pyrat Rum Cocktail Party 12pm-7pm!
• A very limited number of spots are available for the Pro-Am and cocktail party. For more
information go to: http://atlanticcup.o...m-may-17th-nyc/ !
• May 19th: New York to Newport Start at Battery Park City - 11am !
• Come down to Battery Park City to watch the fleet up close as they depart for Newport.
Look for the Atlantic Cup flags which will signal one end of the start line!
• The gun will go off at 11am just off the southwest corner of North Cove Marina!
!
• May 19th: Official New York City Atlantic Cup Race Start Party!
• If you want an insiderʼs view to the Race Start, you can purchase a ticket to the Race
Start Party. Including an Ultimat Vodka Bloody Mary Bar, croissants and live race
commentary this is the best way to watch the start of the second leg of the race! Tickets
are extremely limited, so donʼt miss out!!
• Where: Atlantic Cup Tent at the Southwest End of North Cove Marina!
• Time: 9:30am-12pm!
• Cost: $40 per ticket. !
• Tickets available at: http://atlanticcup.o...ents/2012-05-19!
• $5 of each ticket goes to the Boomer Esiason Foundation to help in the fight against
cystic fibrosis!

#28 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,345 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:57 PM

#17 Transport Coherence
Benoît Joudanet officially announced Jorge Madden as his co-skipper.

#30 Initiatives
Rob Windsor, who was racing on #81 Geodis will now race with Emma
Creighton.

#81 Geodis
Suffered extensive bulkhead damage on her delivery from Mexico and as of
today is not planning to make the start.

#105 ­ Eole Generation ­ GDF Suez
Sebastian Rogues announced his co-skipper as Jeff McFarlane. Jeff is a
graduate of Oakcliff Sailing Academy¹s Acorn Program.

#109 ­ Talan-Bureau Veritas
Stephane Le Diraison announced his co-skipper as Jesse
Naimark-Rowse. Jesse is the youngest American to ever complete the
Mini-Transat and also placed 3rd in the 2011 Transat Jacques Vabre.

#115 ­ Mare
Jörg Riechers announced he will now race with Ryan Breymeier for Leg 1 and
Charles Euverte for Leg 2
Further bios and team details can be found at http://atlanticcup.org/teams/

#29 keel trimmer

keel trimmer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Interests:uh....sailing?

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:32 PM

Go The Dragon!

Good Luck Mike, Good Luck Rob. Sail very fast and very safely.

#30 2 handed

2 handed

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:01 PM

Hey Rail Meat,

Toothface made it into Charleston yesterday, (after an on the nose slog around Hatteras) and we rafted up to the mighty Dragon for an hour as the inn was full! Amazing boat eye-candy already down there, with more to come! Some really cool stuff to gawk. Dragon held her own in the beauty contest next to some pretty good looking euro hardware! We got a space adjacent to the main class40 basin (toward the bridge next dock over.) Ken will be back down for the weekend, and I will be there by tues night/wednesday morn for the duration. Look forwards to catching up with you and Merf! We finally gots us some of dem new black sails, so watch out for us pirates outta Boston!! Now that Hugh has PBR as a sponsor, I'm back to my stinkin' jeans indie rock roots with this race!

cheers - mike dreese

#31 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:21 PM

Heya Mike. Looking forward to tossing back a few ice cold PBRs with you. That is some legendary sponsorship that Junior and Juliana secured. I really want an Atlantic Cup / PBR trucker's cap.

Toothface is looking great.

Got to CHS this afternoon, had some tacos at Taco Boy and got the the marina in time to catch up with Clean before he jumped in his truck and missioned to Michigan. Remotes with fresh batteries were sync'd up to the NKE system, got my new deck screen mostly sorted, and got the new hauldown lock squared away on the hydro generator mount. I think I have earned a PBR or two.

#32 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 05:25 PM

Went out sailing with Bjorn Johnson and Noel Starret yesterday and someone shot some good pics. Check out the photo link

#33 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,345 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:05 PM

Nice one Mike, and great to see you. I am 95% confirmed for Newport, so keep a spot for me on the inport race! Also please send the thread link around to the whole fleet so they can copy their blog posts or otherwise update their own progress here. It'd be pretty cool to have a spot here where the majority of the fleet is posting...

To the rest of the spectators, do you realize that this is history being made here? As far as I can tell, there has NEVER been anything like this in the USA. 14 near-identical box-rule boats racing a multi-leg race up the East Coast (or any coast) with major sponsorship and prize money?

Fucking A right, and can't give enough props to Junior and Julianna and all of you for making it happen. Very sad to miss the start, but with all the content you guys have promised (Poucher, Ryan, Mike, Anna, JC, and maybe even little Emma), I know we'll all feel like we're right there.

#34 The Advocate

The Advocate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,360 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:44 PM

Awesome fleet, will be a great race to keep an eye on.

Go the Dragon!

#35 DtM

DtM

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 06:03 AM

Never discount the Dragon.

Go Mike.

#36 samc99us

samc99us

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:15 PM

Great job on putting this together, can't wait to watch from my lowly pc.

Are any of the Class 40's doing the Newport to Bermuda? I'd love to check one out if so!

#37 Tucky

Tucky

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:12 PM

Mike, when you get a chance can you go over what the leg to NYC will be like, from a weather and route perspective. I'm doing a write up for the Ocean Navigator magazine website. Those folks are more interested in routing decisions than sailboat performance, and I'd like to encourage folks there to watch the race from a routing choice perspective. Maybe encourage them to drink a little PBR while they are at it.

#38 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:56 PM

Mike, when you get a chance can you go over what the leg to NYC will be like, from a weather and route perspective. I'm doing a write up for the Ocean Navigator magazine website. Those folks are more interested in routing decisions than sailboat performance, and I'd like to encourage folks there to watch the race from a routing choice perspective. Maybe encourage them to drink a little PBR while they are at it.

Sure, I can share some thoughts (such as they are).

The course is 640 miles, starting inside of the Charleston Harbor. There is only one mark of the course, inside of Charleston Harbor and then the finish line is off of the North Cove Marina in New York Harbor. Prevailing winds are south westerly across the course.

A clear feature on this course is the presence of the Gulf Stream. Running parallel to the coast from well south of Charleston and up past Cape Hattaras before it bends to the east towards Bermuda. The west wall is anywhere between 30 and 50 miles offshore for the first 260 miles of the course, and the current can run as much as 3 knots northwards inside of the Stream. A critical question will be if it is worth investing miles to the east to catch the Stream. Another factor is that in between the west wall and the shore, particularily as you get up towards Hattaras, there can be an entrainment current running south that you need to consider.

Cape Hattaras and the Outer Banks serve as a key navigational mark for the course, bulging out into the Atlantic and forcing the fleet to the east of the straight line between Charleston and New York. The shoals and shallow water at the Cape, combined with the proximity of the Gulf Stream can lead to weather systems that are unique to the area. There are absolutely no safe havens to run into if the weather goes pear shaped on you, and the inhospitable lee shore makes it easy to understand why it is referred to as the Graveyard of the Atlantic.

This race will essentially break down into 4 segments:
  • From the start out the harbor to the end of the jetty
  • From the end of the jetty up to Cape Hattaras
  • From Cape Hattaras to the entrance to New York Harbor
  • From the Harbor entrance to North Cove.

Charleston Harbor is very tricky with the tides. We are starting on the east side of the peninsula and have a turning mark down on the southern end of the Harbor that will basically force us down the City water front and then out the southern channel without giving us the option of the northern channel. There will be some gains to be had depending on where you put yourself in the Harbor, and then a potential gybing duel as 15 boats squeeze down a narrow channel between the jettys once you get past Fort Sumtner.

Once past the end of the jetties, the question is if you should shoot the rhum line for Cape Hattaras, or try to interest the Stream further south by investing miles into the east with the hopes of a pay off in the form of more current. Wind conditions will dictate the choice for Dragon, and that choice is not clear yet.

Once past Hattaras, the decision hinges on when you leave the Stream, and how you want to play the New Jersey shore. The lure of steady sea breezes make a beach run the smart choice more times than not, but at this point in the Spring those sea breezes are less well established. A high pressure system on shore could suck all the air out of the beach option, and needs to be carefully considered. But going further off shore can also put you on the wrong side of cold water eddies coming off the Gulf Stream, throwing a knot or more of current in your face as you push north. Knowing where the eddies are, and having some idea of what is happening with the sea breezes is hugely helpful.

In the final segment, the fishing fleets and commercial shipping all play a significant role as you approach New York Harbor. An even bigger factor is that the harbor hsa fairly limited navigable water. you can try to cut the corner at Sandy Hook, but it is awfully shallow and you are going to feel pretty stupid to have sailed 615 miles and then find yourself praying for a high tide when you are stuck off a New Jersey beach. You also need to block out the cool distraction of sailing towards NYC's iconic skyline, and passing by the skirts of the Statue of Liberty. If past Class 40 races are any example, we could have a very large number of boats trading tacks or gybes all the way down to the finish line, so any lapse of concentration will cost dearly.

At the moment, the current forecast shows a frontal system moving from west to east across the length of the eastern seaboard on Thursday into Friday. Behind the front is a high pressure system and depending on the timing when that front moves through the winds could be a bit messy. They should reorganize into northerlies in the high middle digits to low teens on Friday afternoon and continue to be northerlies for at least 3/4s of the course.

The next feature to be concerned about is another front, again moving east to west and covering the length of the eastern seaboard. This one looks to cross the course in the Monday time frame, and its timing will determine the end game. Most of the fleet should be in the last 100 miles of the course by Monday morning, and gunning for the finish line.

As a result, the models are not in agreement with one another and the outlook is a bit murky. I suspect there will be more clarity as we get into Thursday morning, but in the meantime I am running routing a couple of times a day and poking at the results. Not to give away any secrets, but this could be a strategically interesting leg.

Great job on putting this together, can't wait to watch from my lowly pc.

Are any of the Class 40's doing the Newport to Bermuda? I'd love to check one out if so!

Yup, looks like we will have 4 or 5 Class 40s in the Bermuda Race. Track me down and I will happy to show you the boat.

#39 mr_ryano

mr_ryano

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,967 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:02 PM

Good recap Mike. I've never had a kite up for more than 30 mins ever going to Bermuda, so I thought this race would be fun downwind sailing in the Stream. Guess I'll take the blame for the wind on the nose going North! The race out of CHS should be fun. Hope Junior picked the start time to match the tides. 14 Class 40's going backwards wouldn't be good boat porn. See you Thursday

#40 EaglesDare

EaglesDare

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:38 PM

Fascinating stuff RM. thanks!

#41 Tucky

Tucky

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:54 PM

Thanks Mike, just what I wanted- I'll try and get it up.

#42 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,345 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:34 PM

I'm in love. Meet Anna-Maria Rencken.

#43 mr_ryano

mr_ryano

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,967 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:56 PM

Skippers Meeting and weather brief going on now. The early prediction was "Bring some books, it's going to be really light for the next few days"
The fleet will be racing out of the harbor through the jetty. This could really interesting....

#44 media_mgr

media_mgr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Sailing and Media Production.

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:27 PM

Can't wait to see what the media looks like coming from the boats!

#45 EaglesDare

EaglesDare

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:39 PM

Me too! Anyone know the format and timing of media reports? VOR style end of day summaries from each boat, live feeds in the harbor?

#46 mr_ryano

mr_ryano

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,967 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:42 PM

Me too! Anyone know the format and timing of media reports? VOR style end of day summaries from each boat, live feeds in the harbor?

There isn't budget to get daily video from the boats. Updates will come from the boats to the race office where they will be put up on the event site, as well as social media when we are in cell range of land. It's highly likely that most boats will go east to try to get to the Stream if there is little gradient near shore for the next 48 hrs. If that's the case, you'll get reports from the start, but we may be out of range until NC, then out of range again until someone decides to hit the Jersey Shore

#47 PeterHuston

PeterHuston

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,139 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:55 PM

Awesome coverage of Mike on Bloomberg right now. Rock on!!!

http://www.bloomberg...ailing-win.html

#48 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,345 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:38 PM

From the queen of the A Cup:

For the offshore legs, here's the plan.
10 of the 15 boats will have MCMs (we don't have the budget to do all 15
teams)
We do not have a satellite sponsor, so we will not be sending in footage
while racing.
When teams are in cell phone range, MCMs will be sending in twitter like
status updates, at least once every 2 hours. When they arrive they'll hand
off the footage to our production team who will produce an offshore race
recap (along with other video recaps for the teams).

The plan is the tracker will update every 2 minutes and we will again have
dashboards for all the teams with the following data:
True Wind Speed
True Wind Angle
Heading
Speed
Elapsed Time
DTF

#49 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,345 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:41 PM

I think we will also be doing a very, very good live talk show from Newport. The Cocktail Hour returns, sponsored by Pabst Blue Ribbon. I like the sound of that.

Also have plans for a phone call with Poucher each day, maybe Breymaier too. ryano - I'll call you later.

#50 media_mgr

media_mgr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Sailing and Media Production.

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:48 PM

Great interviews of some of the skippers! Wish VOR had these kind of interviews! Fun, but tells us alot about them.

#51 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,219 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:58 PM

I think we will also be doing a very, very good live talk show from Newport. The Cocktail Hour returns, sponsored by Pabst Blue Ribbon. I like the sound of that.

Also have plans for a phone call with Poucher each day, maybe Breymaier too. ryano - I'll call you later.

So no around block island race for you?

#52 mr_ryano

mr_ryano

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,967 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 12:43 AM

I'm sailing with Ryan on Mare. Ring if you can, I know you've got a lot on. Sorry to hear bout your dog

#53 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,345 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 02:29 PM

I really do dig this race! Merf Owen gets some lurv from the girls of the A-Cup.

Attached Files

#54 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,219 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 02:37 PM

What happened to the Team Boomer chicks!?

Those girls were the business...

#55 EaglesDare

EaglesDare

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 02:42 PM

What happened to the Team Boomer chicks!?

Those girls were the business...

That's a different cup. D, not A

#56 mr_ryano

mr_ryano

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,967 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:41 PM

As a media crew, competing in the Atlantic Cup is kind of like camping out in a museum for a few days. There’s lots of cool stuff all around you, but you’re not allowed to touch it.

#57 Potter

Potter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 04:09 PM

Can't decide who to cheeer for.
SO much time for Miranda and Halvard on Campagne de France, plus with their knowledge and experience think they will be tough to beat.
Ryan B is a top bloke who can sail it like he stole it.
But I am going to do (fingers crossed) the Quebec-St Malo with 40 degrees so I better cheer for them.

I know nothing about the organisers of the Atlantic CUp, but whoever you are you have done a fantastic job of making this event fit in so that it feeds off the Caribbean circuit and Route du Chocolat, and then feeds into the Newport-Bermuda or Quebec-St malo. Well done guys, there are too may events that try and fight for the same space in the calendar rather than make an event to fit an already succesful schedule.

#58 hellion

hellion

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,494 posts
  • Interests:sailing | yoga | martial arts | hiking | photography | filmmaking | graphic design | travelling

Posted 11 May 2012 - 06:28 PM

Aloha RailMeat!

Please say hi to Dave Rearick on Bodacious Dream and give him a huge kiss for me!
:)

#59 Punani Jackson

Punani Jackson

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • Interests:Cigars, booze and easy women.

Posted 11 May 2012 - 06:45 PM

Can't decide who to cheeer for.
SO much time for Miranda and Halvard on Campagne de France, plus with their knowledge and experience think they will be tough to beat.
Ryan B is a top bloke who can sail it like he stole it.
But I am going to do (fingers crossed) the Quebec-St Malo with 40 degrees so I better cheer for them.

I know nothing about the organisers of the Atlantic CUp, but whoever you are you have done a fantastic job of making this event fit in so that it feeds off the Caribbean circuit and Route du Chocolat, and then feeds into the Newport-Bermuda or Quebec-St malo. Well done guys, there are too may events that try and fight for the same space in the calendar rather than make an event to fit an already succesful schedule.

I'll simplify things for you... Cheer for Dragon.

#60 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 07:23 PM

Aloha RailMeat!

Please say hi to Dave Rearick on Bodacious Dream and give him a huge kiss for me!
:)

Hmm, his whiskers might tickle. But he is rafted up to us, so I will have the chance to pass along your regards.

#61 pogen

pogen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 07:36 PM

Hey RM, I'll try to sneak a peak at the start from my office workplace, where they JUST DON'T GET IT! :P Hey we have a crisis here every day, but important races only start once so often.

Rooting for both you and SF local girl Emma!

Cheers,

David

#62 echo

echo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,018 posts
  • Interests:sailing, cycling and watching my kids grow

Posted 11 May 2012 - 07:39 PM

Check out charlestoncitymarina.com/web_cam for the boats in live race prep

#63 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:07 PM

Shoving off the dock

#64 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:10 PM

Hellion - I passed along your kiss. I was right - his whiskers tickeled. He thanks you. Now I think you might owe me a kiss.

#65 pogen

pogen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:36 PM

Hey maybe I am dumb but I can't find a video feed on the atlanticcup.org website, or a tracker. Help!

Also , the Atlantic Cup webmaster might want to realize that the "time to start" race countdown clock somehow is getting confused about local timezones -- the clock show the race starting at 1800 local time (for me GMT - 7) instead of East Coast time (GMT - 4). That is, 6PM local california, not 6PM local east coast.

#66 pogen

pogen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:55 PM

An hour from the start, and Initiatives (Emma and Rob) are at the front of the pack, Dragon bringing up the rear, 0.7nm off the lead.

Is this a proxy battle of S/A vs. PD? :P

Tracker working great, elapsed time indicator buggered.

Best of luck to all racers, and sail safe!

#67 pogen

pogen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 11:03 PM

Crap, 40 Degrees has lost her rig!

#68 Goonda

Goonda

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 11:07 PM

Didn't even make it out of the harbor. Ouch.

#69 JaredC

JaredC

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 04:00 AM

Went out and watched the start this evening. When the fleet cleared the harbor, it looked like Icarus Racing and one of the other USA boats were out front.

Hull #90 (not sure of the boat's name) dropped their rig about 10 minutes after the start. No mention of why on the radio - looked like something "let go", possibly after the first tack, and snapped below the second spreader. Carnage, but both crew looked to be OK.

[edit] Just saw the post above mine, 40 Degrees must be the name of #90. [/edit]

#70 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,345 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 05:59 AM

An hour from the start, and Initiatives (Emma and Rob) are at the front of the pack, Dragon bringing up the rear, 0.7nm off the lead.

Is this a proxy battle of S/A vs. PD? :P

Tracker working great, elapsed time indicator buggered.

Best of luck to all racers, and sail safe!

8 boats are pretty hard core SA readers. Most of them ahead of Emma/Rob, who are reluctant SAers.

#71 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 06:21 AM

0200 - Just coming off watch and Merf is on deck. Night is partly cloudy with a half moon up and temps in the 60's. Cat is out of the bag by now - we want east. Forecast is for light air in the next 36 hours and we want the three knots off ground speed and apparent wind that the Stream will offer. We are hard on the wind, solent flying and steering to true wind. Very light chop, and the boat is moving well. The strategy is costing us distance on the boats to the west, but we think the investment is worth it.

We pooched the start and did not cover ourselves in glory in the harbor. Slow. We deliberately chose to leave one reef in the main in 14 knots of wind to allow us to tack our way out of the harbor without having to mess with water ballast.

Shook the reef after clearing the jetty, and had some water in for a few hours. Dropped it when the wind went light around midnight.

#72 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 06:23 AM

Hannah and Peter were coming to the end of the first leg, approaching the southern end of the harbor and about to tack for Middle Ground. The rig breaking sounded like a gun. Came down above the first spreader. No one seemed hurt, and they were pulling rigging out of the water as we headed east of the harbor. Bad luck - feel very badly for them.

#73 EaglesDare

EaglesDare

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 10:17 AM

Heartbreaker for Hannah and Peter. You could see how much so in her interview.

I noticed Icarus is now number 116 instead of 14. Poucher mentioned something about being an official Class 40 this year. I assume the association recertified the boat and gave her a new hull number, but she's still a first generation boat, no?

#74 Roleur

Roleur

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts
  • Interests:Pacific Cup 2014

Posted 12 May 2012 - 10:51 AM

Quick question.

If the are MCM's on only 10 of the 15 boats, are the other 5 boats carrying a ~200 pound equalizer?

#75 rob_m

rob_m

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 12:01 PM

I noticed Icarus is now number 116 instead of 14. Poucher mentioned something about being an official Class 40 this year. I assume the association re-certified the boat and gave her a new hull number, but she's still a first generation boat, no?

not a particularly prolific poster so bear with me, but yes Icarus is a first gen boat that was never actually in Class 40 trim when first built. she needed some flotation added and i believe some bulb mods (not positive) which Tim and Ben took care of this winter and were issued an official number which is why they have a high number but an old boat.

Peter and Hannah seem ok and are working hard on figuring out a "solution" so stand by.

also, i have an extreme bias** so take this with a grain of salt, but this race is one of the most exciting events to ever happen in the US and if we as sailors support it well could become a mainstay here and hopefully encourage more people in the USA to get involved with this type of racing. The boats are great platforms to showcase shorthanded sailing and Hugh and Julianna have put a lot of effort into making it as viewer friendly as possible and as engaging as sailboat racing can be (with the budget the are working with). Very excited to be part of it and the fact that the are showcasing environmental initiatives and drawing attention to how we as sailors interact with the ocean is incredibly important and hopefully will help set a standard for how future events are run.

also, no they are not carrying extra weight to compensate for the camera person. in order to get sound and video from the boats, there needs to be a media person onboard but again budget constraints limited the total number they could have. boats that do not have anyone onboard this leg will have someone next leg.

Rob MacMillan

**i manage 11th hour racing (presenting sponsor), won the event last year and i'm very good friends with Junior and Julianna so yes, i'm a wee bit biased

#76 Matt B

Matt B

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 12:14 PM

Can somebody link the tracker. I can't find it any where. There should be a big button at the top of the event website. I also went to Ion Earth and the only event they have listed as current is the Silver State 300.
Thanks.

#77 nkb

nkb

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Interests:Mostly ocean racing.

Posted 12 May 2012 - 12:34 PM

http://atlanticcup.org/race/tracking/

#78 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,345 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 12:46 PM

I noticed Icarus is now number 116 instead of 14. Poucher mentioned something about being an official Class 40 this year. I assume the association re-certified the boat and gave her a new hull number, but she's still a first generation boat, no?

not a particularly prolific poster so bear with me, but yes Icarus is a first gen boat that was never actually in Class 40 trim when first built. she needed some flotation added and i believe some bulb mods (not positive) which Tim and Ben took care of this winter and were issued an official number which is why they have a high number but an old boat.

Peter and Hannah seem ok and are working hard on figuring out a "solution" so stand by.

also, i have an extreme bias** so take this with a grain of salt, but this race is one of the most exciting events to ever happen in the US and if we as sailors support it well could become a mainstay here and hopefully encourage more people in the USA to get involved with this type of racing. The boats are great platforms to showcase shorthanded sailing and Hugh and Julianna have put a lot of effort into making it as viewer friendly as possible and as engaging as sailboat racing can be (with the budget the are working with). Very excited to be part of it and the fact that the are showcasing environmental initiatives and drawing attention to how we as sailors interact with the ocean is incredibly important and hopefully will help set a standard for how future events are run.

also, no they are not carrying extra weight to compensate for the camera person. in order to get sound and video from the boats, there needs to be a media person onboard but again budget constraints limited the total number they could have. boats that do not have anyone onboard this leg will have someone next leg.

Rob MacMillan

**i manage 11th hour racing (presenting sponsor), won the event last year and i'm very good friends with Junior and Julianna so yes, i'm a wee bit biased

Thanks very much for checking in Rob. We are big fans of the whole thing, ever since Junior introduced me to himself and the concept 3 years ago over fish tacos at Poe's. The event has done well as much through their (and your) hard work as it has because they set realistic goals, didn't oversell or overhype it, and followed through with real focus. We'll continue to support and we encourage everyone to do the same by clicking through the sites, social media links, and sharing it all with your friends.

Also, everyone should make an effort to come to New York or Newport.

#79 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,345 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 12:50 PM

Not sure if this one is linked above, but meet Junior:

scheduled for a call-in from Poucher in 10 minutes, should be able to get it online quick as.

#80 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,345 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 12:56 PM

Did I tell you I'm in love? And now green is my favorite color.

#81 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,345 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 01:05 PM

Poucher might be a little busy at the moment - looks like they are literally meters away from Rob and Emma on Initiatives - who were their houseguests in Charleston for the past few weeks. Fun!

Attached Files

#82 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,345 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 01:33 PM

Start vid:

Start pics from Billy Black:

http://atlanticcup.o.../?gid=32&aid=44

#83 The Advocate

The Advocate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,360 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 01:39 PM

Love the media they are doing, tracker distances seem a little screwed as is the dash board, but great concept. Am sure they will dial it in shortly.

#84 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,345 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 02:33 PM

Couldn't get Poucher, but did get Ryan from MARE, first to the right shift and eating up the miles now. Sounds happy!

#85 Trevor B

Trevor B

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 03:04 PM

Go Emma!

#86 Bhamarchist

Bhamarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 03:15 PM

I was already impressed with the great job the organizers have done with the website, but the 'ask the experts' feature is genius! In terms of bringing non- racing sailors and even non-sailors into the race it's just a stoke of brilliance. They even have a leg up on the VOR on that score.

#87 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,345 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 03:28 PM

Just spoke with Ben Poucher, Icarus, and gonna get it online but first off to Grandma's 85th birthday party with the fam. Ben apologized for missing our 0900 call in, had 'a little bit on' dealing with match racing in light air. He is still beating, hasn't got the right shift that Breymaier did just yet, but holding fast with newer boats. "I could smell what Rob had for dinner last night and hear him talking to Emma..." "It's basically one-design racing out here, half the fleet in sight"

Sounds fucking awesome, wouldn't be surprised to see this race turn quite a few more folks onto the Class 40. How 'bout you Trev?

#88 Nigel Texas

Nigel Texas

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 05:21 PM

Dave, you're looking Bodacious out there, buddy! Keep protecting the right!

Nigel

#89 The Advocate

The Advocate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,360 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:42 PM

The stream doesn't seem to be in play yet.

#90 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,345 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 09:56 PM

Julianna may have beaten me to the punch with her interview with Poucher, the A-Cup team uploaded it while I was with Granny about 10 minutes from Oak Cliff Sailing Center coincidentally.

Anyways, here's Ben. Great kid.

#91 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,345 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 10:03 PM

Full story on the dismasting. Bummer for sweet Hannah, a very down to earth chick and excellent sailor.

Slightly longer race start vid:

#92 JumpingJax

JumpingJax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Interests:Offshore passages, new landfalls

Posted 12 May 2012 - 11:14 PM

Anarchist (and riverboat gambler) Rail Meat has made a big investment in getting east of the fleet; the wx models I use show pressure increasing from the southeast, so he'll get it first and may get a bit more boost from the stream. The rest of the fleet are making a good bit of CMG distance up the course on him. It could all amount to nothing much since it may just close Dragon up on the fleet, but leave him in a trailing position as the pressure reaches the others. And if the pressure fills in faster than he can catch up, he could be a good ways behind the fleet. It's hard to see a better result in the short term.

The other Americans are doing rather well in the drag race up the course. With positions 1, 4, 6, 12 and 14 (at the moment)), the French are finding they have to work for it over here. And the German boat, Mare, is currently in 3rd. I'd say it's a very competitive race so far.

#93 rob_m

rob_m

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 11:32 PM

I was already impressed with the great job the organizers have done with the website, but the 'ask the experts' feature is genius! In terms of bringing non- racing sailors and even non-sailors into the race it's just a stoke of brilliance. They even have a leg up on the VOR on that score.

make sure to ask some questions and they'll hopefully be answered somewhat expertly. B)

just wrote a mini recap of the first 24 hours that will be posted on the a-cup site soon. i am a terrible writer but basically the next 12-15 hours will be crucial and the mini pack that has split slightly east might steal some miles. Wish i was sailing but man it is going to be tense for the teams!

#94 The Advocate

The Advocate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,360 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 02:25 AM

Investment!

RM has thrown every die in the house down the table.

#95 The Advocate

The Advocate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,360 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 03:23 AM

Though looks like Dragon has something now.

#96 pogen

pogen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 03:37 AM

Fun race to follow, too bad the tracker only shows history back a couple of hours or so.

Props to Rail Meat for sailing his own race, here's hoping the big bet pays off!

Oh and Clean, if I had stock options worth 1% of Facebook instead of where I actually work, you can bet a Classe 40 would be the first thing on my shopping list. (And my own island to park it next to.)

#97 The Advocate

The Advocate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,360 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 03:48 AM

Has to be the stream he has found.

#98 The Advocate

The Advocate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,360 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 06:15 AM

Problems for Partouche?

#99 ET1

ET1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:47 AM

Great race, great reporting, great thread.
Looking at PassageWeather.com I think it´s gonna be tight for Dragon. The wind´s gonna fill in from south to southwest very fast, so I don´t think there will be enough time for them to get to the pack

#100 whynotsolo?

whynotsolo?

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Interests:racing short handed, windsurfing, good rum :)

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:53 AM

Go Bodacious Dream!!!! Show them what the great lakes boys are made of!!!!!!!! Not a bad learning curve :);)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users