309 replies to this topic

#201 Bmajor

Bmajor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 03:49 AM

Where is the finish line? Anyone know? Because I sure can't tell from the tracker............

#202 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,001 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 15 May 2012 - 03:51 AM

I am told it is just off North Cove Marina.

#203 nkb

nkb

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Interests:Mostly ocean racing.

Posted 15 May 2012 - 03:52 AM

Check ou the website, it should say something there www.atlanticcup.org I think its just off the entrance to North Cove Marina.

#204 Bmajor

Bmajor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 03:53 AM

I am told it is just off North Cove Marina.

Thanks Clean, but where is that?

#205 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,001 posts

https://maps.google....=m&z=14&iwloc=A

Attached Files

#206 Bmajor

Bmajor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

You da BEST! Thanks again Clean!

#207 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,001 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 03:54 AM

Same on the tracker.

Attached Files

#208 tamaozy

tamaozy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 03:54 AM

Campagne getting smashed in the current. There speed was down to 2kts there for a while. Not making good yards and Mare has stretched.

#209 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,001 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 03:55 AM

No worries bro. Very happy to see my good friend Ryan doing so well. He deserves it.

FYI, Ryan will NOT be sailing the next leg or in-port with MARE due to I think a commitment on a big boat in the Med. One of the hardest working pro sailors I know, and a great guy. With an even better wife...

I'm not even pissed that he didn't answer my calls to either his cell phone, his MCM's cell phone, or his boat's satphone. A gybing duel 9 NM from the finish might not be the best time to chat?

#210 The Advocate

The Advocate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,350 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 03:58 AM

You think?

#211 nkb

nkb

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 04:05 AM

Don't worry Alan - I don't think he'd answer a call from his wife right now either :)

#212 The Advocate

The Advocate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,350 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 04:07 AM

Lol

#213 nkb

nkb

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 04:20 AM

But Mr Ryano - in case you read this - my phone is ON!

#214 Tunnel Rat

Tunnel Rat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 04:20 AM

The tracker says that Dragon is 0.4Nm ahead of Sevenstar, but it looks to me that if 7Star gybed, then they would cross Dragon. Any thoughts?

Ecole has come steaming back into these two and will make life interesting for the final 20 miles.

I just wish the order on the tracker would default to Distance to Finish rather than to Sail Number. It gets annoying pressing the re-order button every two minutes!

#215 The Advocate

The Advocate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,350 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 04:28 AM

Not as annoying as just learning you could re order them!

#216 nkb

nkb

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 04:33 AM

Huh?

Uh oh. I think I am about to be annoyed....

#217 Dixie

Dixie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,676 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 04:33 AM

Gosh, I was really hoping the Dragon would pull it off in the end. Looking forward to his write up when he's recovered from the trip.

#218 DtM

DtM

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 05:19 AM

I admire that Mike had a plan and he stuck to it. I hope he reaps the rewards.

I have said it before, never underestimate the Dragon.

#219 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,014 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 05:20 AM

Congrats to the Mare crew. Nice job.

I like Dragon's more northerly positioning compared to Sevenstar and GDF. Tide is going to be less of a problem for them there.

#220 DtM

DtM

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 05:25 AM

Mare has finished.

Great race

#221 Bmajor

Bmajor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 05:26 AM

Congratulations to the Mare! Great job with strategy and tactics....impressive!

#222 The Advocate

The Advocate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,350 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 05:27 AM

Great job Mare, well sailed race. I agree LH.

#223 Bmajor

Bmajor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 05:32 AM

Great job on Bodacious Dream as well! Making us Hoosiers proud!

#224 DtM

DtM

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 05:44 AM

Campagne de France now finished as well.

The Dragon seems to be in more breeze and going faster but they cannot break away from 7Star. or is that just the tracker?

#225 DtM

DtM

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 05:51 AM

With so little breeze up the river there will be plenty to play for in the last 20 miles

#226 DtM

DtM

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 05:59 AM

Wow, either 7 Star just got a heap of favourable current or Dragon got smashed by current.

Turn your back for two minutes and ..........

#227 Irishdriver

Irishdriver

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:29 AM

Congrats to all the boats, especially Bodacious Dream...

What do you think the over/under is for the # of hours each crew slept, especially the top 3 boats??

#228 Tunnel Rat

Tunnel Rat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:15 AM

OUCH! That must have hurt. 7 Star overtaken with 2 miles to go!

Icarus, Transport Coherence and Initiatives look as if they are having fun - it's going to be tight there!

#229 tamaozy

tamaozy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 11:28 AM

Huh?

Uh oh. I think I am about to be annoyed....

Yeh just got up to find I could have re-ordered them......

#230 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,001 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 12:14 PM

Passed out as it was uploading...Nice job all! Tried to get Ryan for about two hours...no one answering, not even the media guy! Ben gets my Media Award for the trip. It's a plush toy pirate with the ACup logo written on it in sharpie.

#231 rudderboy

rudderboy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 12:42 PM

OT - does anyone know of any clubs that are doing spectator boats in Newport while the boats are there? I wanted to take my wife and daughter out to watch the in-port races one day and will be checking with the Chamber of Commerce to see if they can suggest some also.

#232 mr_ryano

mr_ryano

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,966 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:00 PM

Attached File  _DSC9367.jpg   626.89K   17 downloadsHi all. Some final notes from Mare. First off, sorry we didn't answer any calls. As a media crew my job is to pass along info without hindering the racers. Taking a phone call at the time wouldn't have allowed Jorg and Ryan to concentrate on winning. 't was a major shitfight between ourselves and Campange. Every time we thought we had them put away, they found a way tout the pressure back on. While it may have been fun to watch on the tracker, it was downright terrifying for us! On the last set of gybes coming into NY, we did misjudge a lay line, which opened the door for Halvard and Miranda to get back in, and we certainly didn't expect them to go as far west as they did. It gets pretty shallow in there, and when they stopped, we thought they had hit bottom. Turns out they blew the gybe and wrapped the kite. That one mistake in 700 of racing gave us the last bit of breathing room coming into the finish.

Jorg and Ryan slept maybe a total of 10 hours each during the race, and were up nonstop all day Monday, and anytime we were in close proximity to other boats. Their mental desire to win is really awe inspiring, and having seen it firsthand, I'll never look at any IMOCA or Mini race in the same light ever again. Simply being a good sailor isn't enough. You need to have total mastery over the mental and physical body to excel at this type of racing.

If you guys have any questions, post them up, and I'll do my best to give you an account of what happened. Here's a pic of my vantage point of the action

#233 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,001 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:14 PM

Thanks Ryan - looking forward to seeing what the production team puts together from your work.

#234 mr_ryano

mr_ryano

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,966 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:34 PM

Thanks Ryan - looking forward to seeing what the production team puts together from your work.

Me too. They'll need to edit out a lot of the language to make it G rated! I'll have a full photo gallery up this afternoon when I get off the train

#235 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,110 posts
  • Interests:My ride: An OCD designed Class 40

Posted 15 May 2012 - 04:04 PM

PBR fueled, Sleep Deprived Recap of Leg 1
or "how I learned to unplug"

Docked at 5 AM, slammed a couple of PBRs, home for a shower and in the office by 7:30. I think my decision making might be a bit suspect today.

Apologies for the radio silence over the past several days. My INMARSAT went down early on Saturday morning and while the Iridium provided a back up for verbal conversations, I had zero access to data. No weather files, no position reports, no Sailing Anarchy. Now I know what Ben and Tim on Icarus feel like in every race!

It was an odd situation for me. The role the weather plays in my own routing decisions cannot be underestimated. Knowing your competition and their own strengths and styles and ultimately positions in the course is a huge advantage. Finally, the random scriblings you guys tolerate on Sailing Anarchy often times give me the chance to organize my thoughts and analysis in a way that helps clear my head in the race. None of that was here for this race. Given the navigational choices we made, that was perhaps a lucky break. We were all alone and had no reference point to determine if those choices were paying dividends, which meant that all we could do was sail the boat as fast as we could and hope for the best.

Saturday’s start was off the Charleston Maritime Center, headed south down the city waterfront. The fleet was hard on the wind, and we had to deal with the wash from 14 other boats after our less than spectacular start. After getting past the southern end of the peninsula, we passed a turning mark (Potts Shoal #4 on port) and all of us dug in further to the south to buy some room on our next tack to the east and exiting the Harbor.

It was here that 40 Degrees' mast broke. Even as we focused on making up for our start, the sound was like a gun shot. I could not afford more than a quick look, but what I saw was a stick broken above the first spreader, mast and sail over the side and the boat at a halt. The radio chatter pretty quickly confirmed that every one was safe, but it had to be a gutting experience for Peter and Hannah.

The fleet then had to beat out the harbor, dealing with three freighters and very restricted water. The investment in putting distance in to the south paid off as the first beat squeaked us past the thin water around Middle Ground and took us all the way down to Sullivan Island. Then a hitch up to the shores of Fort Sumtner and four quick tacks between two stone jetties that create a 400-yard wide channel extending 1+ mile or so out of Charleston to the ocean.

Clearing the end of the jetties, the fleet fell off to the north, hard on the wind and headed for Cape Hatteras. We put our plan into action at that point, which was a simple one. The forecast called for light air on Sunday, related to the high-pressure system that was moving over the east coast. Those kind of conditions play well to Dragon’s design, but we wanted to be able to use the Gulf Stream to our advantage, getting its 3+ knot push as well as the apparent wind it would create. So right from the start, we knew we wanted to get east.

Easier said than done. To get there, we were hard pressed on starboard tack under the solent all Friday night. Most of the fleet opted for a more direct route and footed off for some speed. Then, to compound our challenge we were headed, sending us in towards shore and Wilmington. We eventually tacked out on Saturday morning, as did the rest of the fleet. We crossed tacks with several of the boats, and it was here that we could have taken the easier route and reattached our selves to the fleet. We thought that would be too much follow the leader, and still believed that we were going to be hit with soft air on Sunday and wanted to get to the stream. So hard on it we went, heading east. Winds remained north easterlies, and 10 to 15 knots in speed.

Thing is, once you do that there is no going back. If you try to turn back half way out there, the fleet will have left you for dead. You cannot just half-heartedly try to get there – you have to own it. And own it we did. We practically put up a mailbox and planted petunias. We went so far east, I was about to learn Russian. Nations that go that far east (see France and Germany) tend to get their asses handed to them. It was the kind of investment that involves putting your watch, car keys and 401(k) statement on the top of the pile of chips and it was far from a good bet. On Saturday when I called Mom with an early Mother’s Day call she could not help herself. She asked me what we were doing DFL. Well, she might have used more polite terms, but she clearly thought her first born may have displayed some bad decision making.

It was not until Saturday night, at 2000 hours, that we knew the bet was going to pay off. We quickly moved from a 0.5 knot adverse current to a positive push and then we quickly hit the peak flow within 1.5 miles of my plot. Four or more knots… it was like the class nerd asking the most beautiful girl in school to the prom, and she said yes. With that bit of naviguessing complete, we climbed on a conveyor belt that sent us north with wings.

Our ‘Saturday Night Special’ of sailing in 10 to 15 knots of breeze in light rollers, still under solent and hard on the wind, lasted well into Sunday evening. We rode the stream up past Cape Hatteras, where we made a conscious decision to exit to the west towards the New Jersey coast, thinking that the sea breezes might still be needed to get us the rest of the way home. Thing was – even after our exit we were still getting a sizeable push. As a result, we ultimately chose to forego the coast and stay out there. The wind clocked and we flew the Code 5 for about 6 hours. Then it clocked more and we flew the A2 for the rest of the race. That unlikely hot date went to the after party with us.

Ultimately, I found out after the fact that the Gulf Stream vaulted us from DFL to a shot at 5th place. The 5 boats that we were competing with at the front of the pack had only been able to pick up the Stream as they approach Hatteras, but they all made the wise choice to continue riding the stream when the got to Hatteras, even if it meant heading easterly for a while. On Dragon, however, we had no idea. By Saturday morning I had lost the Inmarsat and with it any ability to down load weather or position data. So while we knew that our Gulf Stream run had been fun and productive, we had no idea what it had done for us. What I did know was that it had to have helped, but otherwise we were flying blind.

Monday morning, well north of Hatteras but still in the Stream, we found ourselves about 5 miles behind what we could tell was another Class 40 but had no idea which Class 40. We spent the day chasing what turned out to be Seven Star, with no luck. Meanwhile, unbeknownst to us Ecole was creeping up on the coast and closing in on us.

The entire drama for 5th place played out in the approach to New York harbor. By the way…. What genius decided to name one of the bottom features outside New York harbor the “Fingers” and another feature directly to the east “The Glory Hole”?

Ultimately, our situation with Seven Star hinged on the gybe into NYC. We played it very straight and simply went to the lay line and gybed in. In the meant time, Seven Star had preceded our gybe and simply out fought us into the finish line. Ecole, however, used their inside position to take a shorter run up past False Hook and pipped us as well. The sailing through NYC harbor was extremely challenging, and very rewarding. Dodging shipping traffic was made all the more “interesting” when we had to deal with a breeze that dropped to 4 knots and filled to 13 knots multiple times, all the while veering through 60 degrees of direction over and over. The distraction of sailing towards one of the worlds most iconic skylines, lit up at night, and passing under the skirts of the Statue of Liberty was something very special. The worst, however, was completely misjudging the finish and swooping for the Manhattan shore right at the Battery powered up in 12 knots under the kite. What could I possibly think could happen if I approached a western shore with easterly wind and where the shore had 300 foot cliffs? The small pack of spectators were treated to the sight of us drifting over the finish line using the tide as a substitute for the limp spinnaker hanging from our masthead.

We ended up with seventh. While we fought for fifth, and frankly would have loved first, it is difficult to be too upset at a mid-pack finish in what is a fleet of very well prepared boats and extremely talented sailors. What is even more cool is the very tight finish, and the wide distribution of design talent and age in the top finishing boats.
1. Mare – a 2011 Manuard design
2. Campagne – a 2011 Pogo S2 / Finot design
3. Bodacious Dream – a 2011 Farr design
4. Gryphon Solo 2 – a 2010 Lombard design
5. Eole – a 2010 Lombard design
6. Seven Star – a 2006 Pogo 1 / Finot design
7. Dragon – a 2008 Owen Clarke design
8. Transportation Coherence – a 2006 Nacira design
9. Icarus – a 2007 Rodger Martin design
10. Initiatives – a 2007 Simon Rogers design

After more than three days of racing, less than 4 hours separate first from tenth. In those three days of racing, positions changed almost constantly between the entire fleet including these top ten boats. Of the top ten, eight designers are represented and six years of design evolution are represented and yet the racing was tight and exciting across the fleet.

If there is another sailing class in the world that provides this kind of diversity, this kind of design longevity and this kind of exciting racing all in one class….. I can’t think of it.

If any of you are in NYC or Newport, please stop by. It is a friendly group with some really cool toys and you are welcome to check them out. I will be down in NYC around 5 pm Tuesday for an hour or two to continue sorting the boat, and then again on Wednesday and Thursday nights for about the same time frame. Friday we are going to be there mid-day and doing the pro am in the afternoon. Check in at www.atlanticcup.org (and vote for Dragon!!), check out Dragon’s Facebook page at www.facebook.com/dragonoceanracing, sign up to follow along at www.twitter.com/dragonoceanrace.

Hope to see you out there.

PS - I would be remiss in not thanking Merf Owen. You could not ask for a better team mate. He works his ass off to make the boat go fast, and approachs any problems with the simple perspective of how to fix it. It was a rare pleasure to get the chance to sail with him again.

#236 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,110 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 04:30 PM

Me too. They'll need to edit out a lot of the language to make it G rated! I'll have a full photo gallery up this afternoon when I get off the train

Merf and I joked with Seth (our MCM) that we could probably come up with 3 and half days of footage where none of it was G rated.

#237 farrfreak

farrfreak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 07:44 PM

Any idea what the protest against MARE is about?

#238 34 South

34 South

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:00 PM

Good write up RM, and well sailed. Fair winds (and favourable currents) for the next leg.

#239 us7070

us7070

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,537 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:08 PM

who's protesting?

#240 Matt B

Matt B

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:14 PM

who's protesting?

From the results page -

*Protest pending between Talan-Bureau Veritas and Mare. In accordance with the Sailing Instructions, the protest will be heard in Newport, R.I. following the conclusion of Leg #2.

#241 mr_ryano

mr_ryano

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,966 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:58 PM

Proper course at night. Can't comment any further. Mare photo gallery here

#242 Anthonyvop

Anthonyvop

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,031 posts
  • Interests:http://oversteertv.net/
    http://racewatches.com/
    http://twitter.com/RaceWatches

Posted 15 May 2012 - 11:08 PM

Great report Mike!
Makes me like this event even more

#243 pogen

pogen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,685 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 11:24 PM

Docked at 5 AM, slammed a couple of PBRs, home for a shower and in the office by 7:30. I think my decision making might be a bit suspect today.

Awesome report RM , thanks for taking the trouble!

#244 DtM

DtM

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 11:56 PM

Great report and well done.

Who is doing the next leg with you?

#245 Punani Jackson

Punani Jackson

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • Interests:Cigars, booze and easy women.

Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:16 AM

Awesome write-up RM. See you Thursday. If any of you are going down to North Cove Thursday afternoon let me know and we'll grab a cocktail.

#246 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,110 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 02:15 AM

Thanks, guys. Chris Museler is going to be doing the second (and third) legs with me, with Merf jetting off to Barcelona for business. For those who don't know Chris, he is a frequent contributor to the New York Times sailing coverage, as well as Sailing World and other publications. Short handed off shore sailing is relatively new for him, however he has a deep level of experience and accomplishment in match and team racing with multiple national titles that he has a piece of. Looking forward to it!

#247 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,001 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 03:50 AM

Hey now - Chris has written stuff for us too, and is a regular reader...and he loves my dogs...well, dog.

One of the best all-around people in the sport, a ridiculously good spider monkey of a bowman...good for you Mike for getting him aboard.

#248 BarePoles

BarePoles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts
  • Interests:sailing, architecture, running, Texans

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:40 AM

Thanks, guys. Chris Museler is going to be doing the second (and third) legs with me, with Merf jetting off to Barcelona for business. For those who don't know Chris, he is a frequent contributor to the New York Times sailing coverage, as well as Sailing World and other publications. Short handed off shore sailing is relatively new for him, however he has a deep level of experience and accomplishment in match and team racing with multiple national titles that he has a piece of. Looking forward to it!

Mike,

Great reporting and recap of the leg as usual. I dropped by North Cove this evening to see the boats, it was great to see these beasts up close. Beautiful machines; it is apparent each boat has different design emphasis with unique design solutions.

It'd be great to meet you, if work allows I'll try and swing by one evening this week. Best of luck on the next leg. I snapped a few pics that I'll upload tomorrow.

BP

#249 hellion

hellion

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,494 posts
  • Interests:sailing | yoga | martial arts | hiking | photography | filmmaking | graphic design | travelling

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:45 AM

What do you think the over/under is for the # of hours each crew slept, especially the top 3 boats??

My good friend Dave Rearick told me he doesn't sleep but for an hour here and there....if that.
He is simply elated!
Congrats Bodacious Dream: Dave and Matt!
And a huge thank you goes out to Railmeat who done good...hahaha!
You have chutspah!
:)

#250 Heriberto

Heriberto

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,022 posts
  • Interests:Mount Gay Sugarcane

Posted 16 May 2012 - 02:17 PM

Thanks for the great write up RM!

#251 rmb

rmb

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 03:30 PM

On MARE, we had about 10 hours each over the course of the race, never more than 1 hour at a time, and certainly not really at all on the last day.

#252 Irishdriver

Irishdriver

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 05:14 PM

On MARE, we had about 10 hours each over the course of the race, never more than 1 hour at a time, and certainly not really at all on the last day.

10 was my guess! Thanks, and Great Job!!! Very fun to watch on the tracker, as it was sooo close to the finish-get some rest, I'm trying to get to Newport to see you all. My old good friend Pat Kennedy is one of the owners of the IYAC bar in Newport, always a good time!

ID

#253 Manfred

Manfred

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts
  • Interests:Sailing DN on hard water and all sorts of boats on soft water

Posted 16 May 2012 - 05:33 PM

Mmh, Jörg can be quIte an animal out on the race course.
Well done guys! My congrats to you and the old HSC Laser group is proud of you.
Smooth sailing
Manfred

#254 mr_ryano

mr_ryano

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,966 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 06:59 PM

Leg 2 of the Atlantic Cup starts this weekend. Since all of you are the biggest fans, what would you like to see more of from an onboard media perspective? I think we may have a way to get some near live video up on twitter at the Atlantic Cup feed for at least the run down the NJ coast and the approach to Newport. May also be able to post some live audio too, but we are open to any and all ideas

#255 hermitCrab

hermitCrab

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 09:25 PM

Leg 2 of the Atlantic Cup starts this weekend. Since all of you are the biggest fans, what would you like to see more of from an onboard media perspective? I think we may have a way to get some near live video up on twitter at the Atlantic Cup feed for at least the run down the NJ coast and the approach to Newport. May also be able to post some live audio too, but we are open to any and all ideas

I would love to be able to re-run the race after the fact. Shoot lots of video, and not just of the boat moving but ask the skippers what they are doing and why, and then time-stamp the video so that we can relate it to where and when it was on the course as we replay the tracker.
Just watching video of a boat surfing downwind has gotten a bit passe, but we almost never get to watch the process of the sailor doing the sail-changes and stuff like that. That would be really good for the boats with an MCM onboard.

#256 haligonian winterr

haligonian winterr

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts
  • Interests:Going Fast.

Posted 18 May 2012 - 01:05 AM

I would love to be able to re-run the race after the fact. Shoot lots of video, and not just of the boat moving but ask the skippers what they are doing and why, and then time-stamp the video so that we can relate it to where and when it was on the course as we replay the tracker.
Just watching video of a boat surfing downwind has gotten a bit passe, but we almost never get to watch the process of the sailor doing the sail-changes and stuff like that. That would be really good for the boats with an MCM onboard.

+1 on the sail changes and such, as well as the personal side of things. Joking with eachother, a bit of bickering or tension over course selection or routing, really seeing the human side of the race from the onboard point of view.

I think a format similar to the last Open 60 event (don't remember the title of the race) where the track is displayed on the tracker, but has video links directly on the track of each boat, so you can click along the track and pull up video/audio/text whathaveyou.

Absolutely enthralled with everything happening, gets the juices flowing and makes me think a dream of a 6.50 or 40 isn't too far away! Keep it up!

HW

#257 DtM

DtM

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 01:08 AM

Good luck Mike and Dragon for Race 2.

#258 mr_ryano

mr_ryano

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,966 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 01:49 AM

I have a ton of that from leg 1, but don't have any editorial say. We'll see what they do with it, but shot some 6 hours of vid from Mare

#259 hermetic

hermetic

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 05:51 PM

Can you get some shots of J-Lo's Hamptons house on the way by? Thanks.

Oh - just a small tip: do not go down the NJ coast.

#260 mr_ryano

mr_ryano

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,966 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 11:15 AM

Good morning from North Cove Marina. Anyone coming to watch the start is asked to bring a donation of wind!!

#261 robalex117

robalex117

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 11:27 AM

I am coming down via boat. Not much wind inside the harbor but looks like a little more outside. Bad news is it is coming where the boats want to go.

decent breeze

Good morning from North Cove Marina. Anyone coming to watch the start is asked to bring a donation of wind!!

#262 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,014 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 11:50 AM

Wish I could bring you some breeze but we're starved for our own up in LIS... gotta drift around stratford shoals again :unsure:

Go the Dragon!!!

#263 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,110 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 11:57 AM

Headed to the marina shortly. Looks like a light air start, deep running. Or crawling as it may be. Supposed to strengthen as the day goes on, but not significantly. More off shore, but not clear what the sea breeze vs. gradient trade off will be. Once we round Barnegate the it will be on the nose. Lots of code sailing in the near future.

Dragon is ready. Pro Am yesterday was fun, except for the fact that we got called over early. Could not have been more than a second, but apparently enough. It meant a permanent place in the rear of the fleet. Better yesterday than today.

Off we go.

#264 Punani Jackson

Punani Jackson

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • Interests:Cigars, booze and easy women.

Posted 19 May 2012 - 12:18 PM

Give em hell Dragon!

#265 Trimmed for speed - - -

Trimmed for speed - - -

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 01:21 PM

Go go team Bodacious. ! I'll be in Newport next weekend.

Hoping to catch some of the action while we're out on the water.

#266 BlueBennie

BlueBennie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 01:29 PM

Had a great day with Joe and Tristan on Gryphon Solo 2 for the Pro Am event. Any thoughts of the owners taking it easy for a race that did not count in the series was quickly dispatched at the start. Joe nailed the start tangling with boats for the boat end of the line and led the fleet at the start, a little confusion about the first mark cost us a few places, but we managed to stay close to the top 3 going into the first mark, deploying the code zero for a very short .75 mile reach across the river closed the gap even further. The second mark was chaos with 5 40's rounding the mark within seconds of each other with current playing a big factor. A few marks later we were still in the hunt with the and seized an opportunity late in the race to break away from the pack at governors island and headed across the river for better wind, we crossed behind Mare, and kept going into the lee of the current by ellis island. We rounded the last mark just behind the leader, and due to a great rounding and impeccable crew work squeezed inside the leader and walked our way to a first place finish.
Great conditions, great boat, great competition. Awesome day on the water.
Thanks Joe and Tristan for sharing your adventure with us!
Thanks RC for organizing a great event, both race and party!
Thanks Atlantis for the winning SWAG!
Best of luck guys, and be safe out there!

#267 mr_ryano

mr_ryano

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,966 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 01:43 PM

Will be sailing leg 2 with Rob and Emma on Initiatives. Got questions for them? Post here

#268 mr_ryano

mr_ryano

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,966 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 05:09 PM

Passed under theVarazanno in 2nd after working our way through the fleet in NY harbor. Had to dump the kite shortly after passing bridge and now put up the zero. Only 4 kts or so of breeze right now

#269 The Advocate

The Advocate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,350 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 07:14 PM

Lots of lead changes to the turning mark me thinks,exciting stuff.

#270 mr_ryano

mr_ryano

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,966 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 07:26 PM

Teams all crossing tacks giving upwind to the snooki mark. Initiatives is doing a great job in the light lumpy crap. Just passed Mare

#271 robalex117

robalex117

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 10:39 PM

Nice watching the start today. It was interesting to see not a big push to be first. Everybody was taking it easy.
Will start posting some pictures. Trying to figure out how to do it all in one batch but not working that well.

#272 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,110 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 11:08 PM

18450 hours. Hugging the Jersey coast, close enough to have rocked out to the concert at Asbury Park. Still have Cell coverage, hence the post.

Solid start, across the line in 4th with maybe 90 knots of wind and dewad downwind. We gybed down the harbor under the kite and did well, pulling into first by the Verrazano Narrows bridge.

Right after the bridge the wind died and then clocked nearly 180 degrees. We lost 4 places in the transition from kite to solent. A few miles later, we switched over to the Code 0 and are still flyng it

The wind direction meant no one was able to try for the south channel to cut the corner, and instead we all headed south out the main channel before tacking south for Barnegat. At first, we were all pretty hard on the wind, most back under solent, and not fetching the

Around 1500 the wind died again to 3 knots for a while, and clocked a bit east, freeing us to go for the way point.

At the moment, 5.2 knots from the east, with a light swell and the dying light of what feels like a summer day. We are 15 miles from the mark, and maybe in 4th 0place. M$iranda and Halvard are leading and are pulling well. It is going to take something to catch them.

#273 Irishdriver

Irishdriver

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 11:32 PM

RM, thanks for the updates!! Keep them coming, all the best, ID

#274 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,110 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 12:22 AM

Wind went light and afyt, 120 twa. Chris kept the boat on the mark while the fleet slid to the east in an effort to heat a bit. We were able to open a lot of gauge, switched from code 0 to code 5 and are hauling now that the wind is back up to 7.8 knots

8.5 miles to the mark, about 1 hour. When we round, the current wind will have us at 9 twa, so hard on with starboard board favored. Either the solent or back to the code 0

Miranda and Halvard are racing a very nice race, and hold a solid grip on the lead. Time to chip away.

After we round, I suspect I will lose cell signal, so no more updates until we get up to Long Island. Unless the INMARSAT managed to cure itself.

#275 Matt B

Matt B

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 02:04 AM

Is there new tracking? All I get is the last leg.

#276 robalex117

robalex117

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 01:02 PM

Some photos of the start in NYC. Picture of freedom tower in the background is kind of cool. Picture of chart plotter is showing all the boats on AIS after the start with me power up in the fleet.

Kept on having issues with uploads due to files size. So put all the photos here on flikr with actually does a nice job of showing them if you just put the url into the message.

My link

#277 Nigel Texas

Nigel Texas

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 03:41 PM

Wonder why Campagne de France and Dragon are digging so far to the north? Looks like more breeze offshore, and a starboard lift as you approach the finish. Seems they would want to protect the right side of the course.

Admittedly, this is from a Bodacious Dream fan-boy. Go BD!

#278 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,110 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 05:41 PM

Dragon's East Coast Beach Tour

Yesterday the Jersey Shore, today the Hampton. The glamorous lifestyle of the Class 40.

We had a decent start (4th off the line) in 9 knots of wind and at a near dead run with 3+ knots of current draining out of New York harbor. We blazed out, gybing cleanly maybe 10 times before reaching the Verrazano in first place. Chris kept his standing promise to his daughter and screamed for the echo off the bottom of the span. 10 minutes later, on the right side of the course, I screamed when the wind died and the fleet compressed into us , and in 4 cases past us by a bit.
The breeze filled in after about 5 minutes from left to right and in a near 180 degree shift. Down came kite, out went the solent and off we went.

Conditions kept any one in the fleet from pulling the Poucher / Fetsch sneak out the south channel and we all went down the main channel. Solents were swapped out for Code 0's in light air of 5 to 9 knots.

We laid exactly one tack on port and headed south. In took us to the beach around Asbury Park (where we could hear the concert from the boat) and the we got lifted right on to the mark. We also kept the code up the entire way until we were lifted enough 15 miles out from Barnegate to put up the code 5. One board, all the way.

The rest of the fleet tacked multiple times and switched code to solent to code to spin to code. They also chased to lift down to the east, a crucial problem that left them with a slower angle when closing to the rounding mark.

Halvard and Miranda sailed a near perfect leg and earned their top rank at the mark. We parlayed our inside position into rounding in second, with a pack of 10 boats converging like angry dogs.

After rounding, it has been all up hill under the solent, full main, two tanks of water ballast in about 15 knots of wind. It has been a simple game of tacking when the favored board shifts, and we find ourselves 4 miles from the western most beach in the Hamptons.

Probably 2 tacks to get to Montauk, and then decisions about the tides and currents to figure out if it will be the west or east side of Block.

Time to get this tack in before we literally hit the beach.

#279 DtM

DtM

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 11:19 PM

Go the Dragon.

It is so cool to get Mike's thoughts as therace unfolds and if he can't get reception then straight afterwards.

Thanks Mike and all who are giving this racing such good coverage off the yachts.

#280 rob_m

rob_m

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 11:43 PM

daily plug...

crazy competitive race so far and not really sure how it will play out. breeze is gong to lighten this evening and tide will be ebbing out of Newport starting around 830pm. Finish at the tip of Fort Adams might be a good place to be for all those interested in watching (and drinking PBR...)

#281 rob_m

rob_m

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 01:29 AM

outside of block winning right now. which it did not last year

#282 Tunnel Rat

Tunnel Rat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 02:51 AM

Wonder why Campagne de France and Dragon are digging so far to the north? Looks like more breeze offshore, and a starboard lift as you approach the finish. Seems they would want to protect the right side of the course.

Admittedly, this is from a Bodacious Dream fan-boy. Go BD!

Very good call.

Worked like a dream for BD.

#283 Trimmed for speed - - -

Trimmed for speed - - -

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 02:14 PM

" *Protest pending between Talan-Bureau Veritas and Mare. In accordance with the Sailing Instructions, the protest will be heard in Newport, R.I. following the conclusion of Leg #2. "

What's the scoop on this one?

#284 mr_ryano

mr_ryano

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,966 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 02:19 PM

Onboard photos from Leg 2 with Rob and Emma on Initiatives here

Write up to come, but I need some sleep first

#285 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,110 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 04:51 PM

Stiff Little Fingers

Racing these boats, particularily short handed, is a physical exercise compounded by the fact that I could probably stand for a bit more time in the gym and less at the desk. My back, arms, legs, neck, and ass are going to be sore for days if past experience is any guide. But nothing says "offshore racing" like the hands. The finger tips are sanded smooth by the lines and deck non-skid. Nails have to be cut really short to avoid problems that end up looking like a third world torture job. Cuts and scrapes appear out of no where. And worse of all - by the end of the race the mitts are so sore and swollen that it hurts to grab onto that cold bottle of PBR.

Regarding the run to RI, I am trying to figure out how feel about the results. The initial reaction is crushing disappointment with an 11th place finish. But after the benefit of 3 hours of sleep and a bit of caffeine, I can find the positive in the outcome.

We had a great race down to Barnegat. The boat moved well, we made the right routing and sail plan choices and the results showed that we could be at the front of the pack in what was effectively a drag race. We rounded that mark feeling pretty good about ourselves, sitting in second and with a decent feel for the fleet's capabilities.

The segment from Barnegat to Newport was where the wheels began to wobble. Primarily, it came down to a navigational choice. The wind was on the nose, and I went at it as a fairly simple exercise of picking the favored board. That sent us up initially to the north on starboard, then east on port, then north again on starboard all the way to the Long Island shore as the wind shifted back and forth. We were basically in phase with Campagne who were always in sight through Sunday afternoon. I went with that plan of attack because my forecasts did not show any real differentiation of pressure or direction for the wind across the course, which obviously did not prove to be the case in the long run.

Imagine my surprise when we got up to Long Island, back into cell phone range, and discovered that the boats that went east did an end run around us. There were some glum faces. In peeling back what happened, clearly they had more pressure to the east and a better angle. My navigational choice was influenced by the weather I had available, and the inability to get fresh weather caused by my INMARSAT did not help. Also, in retrospect I may not have paid enough attention to the macro weather conditions. But I also can't really fault the choice I made - it was logically correct for what I was looking at. The boats that went east just made a better choice.

I do feel a bit bad about the last 20 miles, where at least 3 boats managed to get past us. We failed to cover Toothface and chose to cover Picoty instead. As a result, Toothface was able to gain some gauge on us to the east which worked better as we went down the west side of Block Island where we got headed. We had to aggressively pinch up in an effort to clear Point Judith, while they were free to sail a better angle to the mark. In retrospect, I should have slid east a bit to put a controlling cover on both boats. I also should have just bit the bullet and put a hitch into the east once it became clear we were going to have to pinch...I just kept crossing my fingers for the lift that kept teasing us with little shots of righty and then soul crushing returns to 082 to 086 TWD.

Then in the final two miles, we just had some bad luck with a wind hole that we fell into. We chose to get to the west side of the passage in a belief that the north easterly would effectively blanketed on the east side of the passage by the land mass. Not the case - we flopped around in 3 knots of air over on that west side with the Code 0 up while over on the east side of the passage Eole Generation Suez was able to simply sail right through us with a bit more pressure and much better angle. That was just the stiff, swollen, fickle finger of fate.... it could have just as easily been us that caught a break and been able to reel in Toothface or Gryphon Solo. Frustrating, but not anything I can beat myself up over. Not that my swollen hands could beat much of anything up right now.

Ultimately, the finish order was so tightly compacted it was amazing. 3 hours 30 minutes for the entire fleet. When we finished, it was with a pack of 6 or 7 boats that all finished within minutes of one another. Sail 240 miles, much of it out of sight of one another and then trade tacks with a pack of boats in the last 3 miles? It is amazing racing, and incredible endorsement for what this Class is all about.

Finally, a shout out for my crew Chris Museler. Boundless energy and a continuing focus on trying to make the boat go fast. It was our first time really sailing together, but a lot of fun. His match racing experience was an entirely new input for me, and a great learning experience. I am looking forward to doing Newport Bermuda with him. But a bigger shout out for his wife who let him go sailing only days after the birth of their third. Thank you, and congratulations!

#286 robalex117

robalex117

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 09:32 PM

When does the protest get heard or has it already gone to the room?

" *Protest pending between Talan-Bureau Veritas and Mare. In accordance with the Sailing Instructions, the protest will be heard in Newport, R.I. following the conclusion of Leg #2. "

#287 Trimmed for speed - - -

Trimmed for speed - - -

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 09:57 PM

Well, the " * " is no longer showing in the results - so I guess it's been resolved, judged, or other.

#288 mr_ryano

mr_ryano

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,966 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:08 PM

Well, the " * " is no longer showing in the results - so I guess it's been resolved, judged, or other.

The Offshore recap video is awesome, and addresses the issue of the protest. See for yourself!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.c...ed/vlfiFuN9Xkk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#289 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,001 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 03:17 PM

Good news for me and for you, folks: I'll be racing on Icarus on Saturday, and we're proud to announce the return of the On-The-Water Anarchy Cocktail Hour for this event. We'll be doing not one but TWO live, hour-long talk shows from the Newport Shipyard, thanks in part to Quantum Sails Newport and Farr Yacht Design (creator of the Kiwi 40 that won Leg 2). More details on tonight's Front Page.

And thanks to the Atlantic Cup, 11th Hour Racing, and the production team for providing the nicest camera we've ever used for OTWA. No shitty, blurry shots from this one!

#290 Samba301

Samba301

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 06:42 PM

Good news for me and for you, folks: I'll be racing on Icarus on Saturday, and we're proud to announce the return of the On-The-Water Anarchy Cocktail Hour for this event. We'll be doing not one but TWO live, hour-long talk shows from the Newport Shipyard, thanks in part to Quantum Sails Newport and Farr Yacht Design (creator of the Kiwi 40 that won Leg 2). More details on tonight's Front Page.

And thanks to the Atlantic Cup, 11th Hour Racing, and the production team for providing the nicest camera we've ever used for OTWA. No shitty, blurry shots from this one!

I hope it's a wide angle lens...Gryphon Solo's transom is max beam!

#291 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,110 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 01:31 AM

And offers excellent depth of field... you will need it to get Dragon's transom in focus when it is in front of Gryphon Solo's.

#292 2 handed

2 handed

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 03:29 AM

And offers excellent depth of field... you will need it to get Dragon's transom in focus when it is in front of Gryphon Solo's.

He will indeed need every bit of that depth of field, to catch Toothface in focus in front of Dragon in the same shot...no way can we let Gryphon Solo ace us again, Dragon may unfortunately be collateral damage.

See ya saturday guys!

#293 Samba301

Samba301

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 12:35 PM

He will indeed need every bit of that depth of field, to catch Toothface in focus in front of Dragon in the same shot...no way can we let Gryphon Solo ace us again, Dragon may unfortunately be collateral damage.

See ya saturday guys!

No we're talking boys! Good stuff. I'll buy the winner a PBR.

#294 mr_ryano

mr_ryano

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,966 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 04:53 PM

Great to see the trash talking starting, but Rob and Emma on Initiatives have already been out practicing!

#295 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,110 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 03:11 PM

Gun and Bullets

Time to load the weapon

So I spent the first couple of days this week taking Cat 1 gear off the boat, stripping her down to the Cat 5 standard required for the inshore racing. Certain items required by the Class Rule such as the monstor sized anchor and rode, or the storm jib and trysail, need to stay on but there was still a lot of weight that could be pulled off the boat. Spinnakers were pulled out of socks and banded, and the boat was otherwise tuned up for the inshore racing.

A weapon without any ammunition is not going get us very far so we have also lined up an all star crew

1) Chris Museler - Co-skipper for the second leg, Chris is new to the Class 40 but has a deep resume in competitive sailing. Has been on the part of 10 teams from 1998 to 2011 that have won US Sailing Championship medals in match racing and team racing (5 Gold, 2 Silver, 3 Bronze)

2) Mark Washeim - Owner of the Doyle Long Island loft and sailmaker for Dragon. Mark has an extensive and successful racing CV, including getting to the podium in seven North American championships in four different classes.

3) Stan Schreyer - Co-skipper on Estrella Damm when they set the benchmark time for the NYC-Barcelona Record. Member of the Tommy Hilfiger Team that won the Extreme 40 Sailing Series. Schreyer, a Little America's Cup project manager for Cogito, has also been a U.S. Olympic Coach and a Collegiate All-American.

4) Robbie Dean - Two-time British American Cup Champion and Collegiate All-American

5) Ned Jones - Multiple National and World Championships in the Snipe Class. Jones is also a former sailing coach for Northeastern University and the U.S. Naval Academy

And then of course there is me. I will give you one guess on which team member is the weak link.

The team has hit the water and run practice sessions, and is feeling loose and good.

#296 Nigel Texas

Nigel Texas

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 04:24 PM

Is anyone tweeting or blogging the inshore races today? It is tough to follow the action on the tracker with them only refreshing every 15 minutes.

Tracker is here: http://atlanticcup.o...three-tracking/

Race courses are here: http://atlanticcup.o...n-shore-series/

SailFlow shows the winds SW 10-12, increasing to SW 16-18 by mid-afternoon.

Looks like race 1 is Course #1. So essentially a windward-leeward with a couple of bends.

#297 Matt B

Matt B

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 07:08 PM

Is anyone tweeting or blogging the inshore races today? It is tough to follow the action on the tracker with them only refreshing every 15 minutes.

Looks like race 1 is Course #1. So essentially a windward-leeward with a couple of bends.

Yet the tracker reset every 2 minutes during the offshore.

Edit - I just checked it out myself and it is updating very quickly

#298 Nigel Texas

Nigel Texas

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 07:40 PM

Yet the tracker reset every 2 minutes during the offshore.

Edit - I just checked it out myself and it is updating very quickly

Thanks. Somtime during race 2 it went from 15 minutes to 30 seconds. Not sure whether the problem was at my end. Much better now!

I have attached a spreadsheet of the results through inshore race #2 for those sho want to follow along.

#299 Nigel Texas

Nigel Texas

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 10:01 PM

Updated spreadsheet through Inshore race #3.

Sorry for the PDF format but the site won't let me post an XLS.

Attached Files

#300 Matt B

Matt B

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 01:10 AM

Updated spreadsheet through Inshore race #3.

Sorry for the PDF format but the site won't let me post an XLS.

Thanks nigel.
Where is cleans update? I guess hes too
busy drinking to post. I wish i could get paid to party.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users