7 replies to this topic

#1 ftbinc

ftbinc

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 05:11 PM

I am working on the Electrics on a tiger 10 and have several questions.
1. where can I get replacement circuit breakers/switches? The current ones have broken levers.
2. Currently we have only one battery (for starting the motor) has anyone put in a 2nd battery and changed out the battery selection switch?
3. right now the Mast electric wires go through the keel housing and exit about 2 inchs off the deck through a hole in the housing. they then would be connected to the mast, however, it seems the wires just hang free between the housing and mast. Is this normal? It seems to me that a junction box at the exit hole on the housing with the ability to disconnect the electrics when the mast is pulled would be a good thing - how have others handled this?
4. There is the Tacktick triducer connection sender put in the cubby on the port side next to the "table/nav station/galley" the electrics are currently running from the exit hole in the keel housing below the floor boards and up into the cubby. we are going to put a corrian cover over that cubby and mount both the VHF and a Stereo on the mounted cover. It looks like it would be best to re-run the circuit under the floorboard, through the weep holes between compartments to the cubby (which is open on the bottom to the bilge. anybody else done this? any suggestions? should I put it in plastic conduit?
5. Nothing is electricly bonded together. Is this a problem? on the J boats I have worked on, all is electriclly bonded together.

Thanks for everyone's help as we get this project moving toward the water.

#2 TigerinCT

TigerinCT

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:02 AM

Check with the builder (hangshen)if you want to replace the switches with OEM
I run 2batteries in parallel rather than changing the switch
My mastheadlight wiring is like you describe, no problems in my experience, just a simple quick disconnect

#3 ftbinc

ftbinc

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:51 PM

I think I found the right item on Defender. Since I need to re-cut the plastic panel, I may also put in a two position battery switch and a bilge pump switch as well. While I am at it, I think I will make a cover for the panel so the switches don't get broken again. Thanks for your reply.

#4 ftbinc

ftbinc

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:37 PM

Hi All:
I have successfully installed the pump switch (and re run all the mast electric circuits under the port berth. BUT I have two Mast electric questions:
1. Currently the antenna wire comes out the bottom of the mast where someone made a small 1/2 moon cut out on the base of the mast and drilled through the stainless steel base plate on the boat for the antenna to come out aft of of the mast. I am thinking I want to cut a small 3/8ths by 3/4 long exit box on the port side of the mast about 30 inches up from the base of the mast so the antenna wire would exit out just below the "Table", this would allow the antenna to be run to the radio, which I am mounting int he port side cubby next to the "table" Is there a good reason NOT to do this?
2. Currently there were two circuits, one labeled tricolor and the other labeled Motoring, which were run to the base of the mast, via the keel housing. (the circuits I have relocated to a junction box. On inspection of the mast, there are no conductors going up the mast at all I was expecting to see either two or three conductors in the mast along side the antenna wire. Were there originally wires run up the mast? If not, what have others done with these two circuits?

Thanks!

#5 Clewless

Clewless

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,724 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:11 AM

Nope, no wires were included. All DIY.
Easy to do it when you have the stick down. It only weigh like 95 lbs....

#6 ftbinc

ftbinc

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:29 PM

Thanks for the reply Clewless any advice on running the wires up the mast? (It is down) I am thinking of putting it in 1/2 in plastic wiremold...Since we will be using only LEDs at the top, I will be using pretty small gage wire and i want it to survive a lost halyard etc. if possible.

Any idea why the wires were originally run through the keel trunk? seemed like a lousy way and place, not to mention getting it to the mast....

#7 abners

abners

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:reading

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:22 PM

no wires were included. Posted Image

#8 ftbinc

ftbinc

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:07 PM

no wires were included. Posted Image

We have completed some of the DIY on mast electrics - we installed a strip of eight LEDs at the top of the mast around the flicker to server as an anchor light/windex light and another strip on the front of the mast to server as a Steaming light. pulling about 90 milliamps each we used 22 gage wire (cheap and light) attaching the wire to the antenna wire with small wire ties. Drilled an exit hole in the mast about 28 inches up from the base to feed the antenna and power wires out the mast under the table to the cubby on the port side, where I installed a junction box. Installing the a VHS and GPS in the Cubby. Hoping to install a digital yacht wireless sending unit connected to the instruments to turn the iPad into a six line display mounted on a swing mount in the companionway. I'll post pictures when I'm done.

Thanks for everyone's input!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users