34 replies to this topic

#1 onedesignracing

onedesignracing

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:38 PM

Very well done. Finished only 13 minutes ahead of Telefonica after 6000 miles!

Wow

#2 Mark D

Mark D

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:50 PM

Great stuff, now I can get back to work.

#3 Major Tom

Major Tom

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts
  • Interests:Dinghy sailing, and good red wine!

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:00 PM

Yawn, lost interest when half the fleet broke on leg 1.

#4 Dixie

Dixie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:02 PM

Nail biter for sure. Nice work Puma. Love this shot from

IAN ROMAN/Volvo Ocean Race

Attached Files

#5 something witty here

something witty here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Interests:a few

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:07 PM

great job puma and thanks telefonica for keeping it interesting.... would have been even better had groupyomama been in the thick of it as well

#6 GD206

GD206

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:28 PM

great job hold your head high PUMA

#7 Pog

Pog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:39 PM

Sounds like they fought on for the last day+ without food or sleep. They will sleep well tonight, in a bed!!!

#8 Grinder

Grinder

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,620 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:44 PM

This

#9 Icedtea

Icedtea

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,148 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:49 PM

Would have been better if more than two boats were finishing...

#10 swollen knob

swollen knob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Public Hangings,

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:03 PM

• well done to the big red pussy. Its A lot of cash for a fleet of one design shitters, that are not as reliable as your local fleet of shitters.the new rule next time is if you break your out and you have to sail the whole track (not on ships)

#11 Mambo Kings

Mambo Kings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:24 PM

Well done Kenny and all of Puma crew.

This was yours. You earned it. Very exciting finish, across the Southern Ocean and around Cape Horn to have a finish like this. Amazing

Well Done Telfonica - Spectacular Recovery. Real seamanship to turn the repairs around and get right back into the mix.

Without a doubt, one for the history books. 20 years from now, we 'll be remembering this one and "Where were you watching it online from?"

#12 The Shadow

The Shadow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:38 PM

How much time did Telfonica spot Puma all toll?

#13 Heriberto

Heriberto

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,061 posts
  • Interests:Mount Gay Sugarcane

Posted 07 April 2012 - 01:48 AM

This

Yet still commenting.

#14 @last

@last

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:19 AM

Good job to all of Team Puma but for those of us watching from the keyboards it about caused a heart attack! Can't imagine the level of intensity each crewmember on either boat was feeling firsthand.

#15 lartaunt

lartaunt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, boating, automobiles, diving, Big Ten Sports, Sailing

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:06 AM

How much time did Telfonica spot Puma all toll?

I think they suspended for 17 hours, minimum suspension is 12

Well done Puma! Congrats to Kenny and crew on a a great win.

#16 WillC

WillC

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:Job is selling labelling and converting machines into the packaging world, UK, Ireland, India and Australia
    Sailing beautiful classics and F16 Stealth Catamarans
    Passing on the Joys of sailing to anyone who cares to listen

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:11 AM

if ever there was a man you would want as skipper of a boat you raced on it would be Ken. what a great team he's got and well done to them all on Mar Mostrro

#17 Riptide

Riptide

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:52 AM

This is ken's second leg victory in two Volvo's and both were match races straight to the finish 08'-09' leg 9 finish against Ericsson 3 and now this leg 5 win against Telefonica way to go Puma Ocean Racing!!!!

I guess Telefonica is not as fast as everyone think's considering they couldn't get past Puma at all in those final 50 miles... should be a very interesting rest of the race with 4 legs to go and 5 in-port races with a maximum of a 150 points up for grabs!!!

GO PUMA OCEAN RACING POWERED BY BERG PROPULSION!!!!!

#18 SeQuBu

SeQuBu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:41 PM

I'm all for Puma, but they just got lucky and one has to recognize the amazing performance by Telefonica.

I mean; 200 miles behind + 18h of pit stop for repairs and they still cought off to 13min from the lead .... RESPECT!

#19 Soley

Soley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts
  • Interests:Take a guess. It ain't too hard.....

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:06 PM

Although a great catch up by Telefonica, lets not forget they had a huge help by bringing the wind with them. I think if Groupama had been in the mix, Kenny would have been losing his mind trying to cover Groupama and watching Telefonica chase them down.

Fantastic arm chair racing

#20 jesposito

jesposito

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,643 posts
  • Interests:cycling, skiing and depressing the competition on the race course

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:17 PM

I'm all for Puma, but they just got lucky and one has to recognize the amazing performance by Telefonica.

I mean; 200 miles behind + 18h of pit stop for repairs and they still cought off to 13min from the lead .... RESPECT!

+1
I want to see Puma win it all, but they barely win the leg that all the other boats broke.
But that's part of the game
NICE JOB BOYS!!

#21 polarbear

polarbear

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:50 PM

Sounds like PUMA gave it all they could give. Congrats!

#22 Great_lakes_racer

Great_lakes_racer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:59 PM

Although a great catch up by Telefonica, lets not forget they had a huge help by bringing the wind with them. I think if Groupama had been in the mix, Kenny would have been losing his mind trying to cover Groupama and watching Telefonica chase them down.

Fantastic arm chair racing

+1 my thoughts exactly

#23 Riptide

Riptide

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:15 PM

Sorry dude but are you completely blind to the fact that telefonica had totally different weather the whole way up while groupama and puma where trying to sail through a high pressure system.... I mean yea prop's to telefonica for making up 400nm but that was not skill or speed but rather just plain luck that they finished repairs when they did and had a different weather system.

If they are as fast as you proclaim them to be why when they were within 1nm for the final 50+ nm to the finish could they not get by puma......... oh yea because they are not faster than any of the other Juan K boats.

#24 HEFF

HEFF

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:45 AM

Sorry dude but are you completely blind to the fact that telefonica had totally different weather the whole way up while groupama and puma where trying to sail through a high pressure system.... I mean yea prop's to telefonica for making up 400nm but that was not skill or speed but rather just plain luck that they finished repairs when they did and had a different weather system.

If they are as fast as you proclaim them to be why when they were within 1nm for the final 50+ nm to the finish could they not get by puma......... oh yea because they are not faster than any of the other Juan K boats.

Didn't Telefonica sail at half speed due to hull damage for a week plus/minus
before they pulled in for the 18 hour pitstop???

#25 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,202 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:22 AM

Why is this still under discussion?

Yes, Tele was slow for a long time. Yes they stopped for 17 hours. They also had an incredibly favorable weather window which allowed them to crawl right up the ass of the black boat. Additionally Puma, not being able to do anything about Tele, were match racing Groupama (in unfavorable weather to boot) for 2-3 days which wasn't ideal for VMG to the finish.

In light of all of these mitigating factors the only conclusion that you can accurately draw from the results of this leg is that Telefonica got lucky with the weather they did while Puma (and to a lesser extent Groupama) were unlucky in the weather that they were dealt. Don't read anything more into it because you can't. It's the same as a boat on any buoy racing course rounding the top mark 5 minutes after you and managing to carry a huge puff all the way to the finish where they're 2 seconds behind you. You may have the fastest boat on earth but he caught up because he had the breeze.

And before anyone says that this is born out of any team loyalty... I would be making the same point had Sanya, AD or Camper been the boat that won.

Now can we please move on?

#26 nixon

nixon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 08:51 AM

Yes, Tele was slow for a long time. Yes they stopped for 17 hours. They also had an incredibly favorable weather window which allowed them to crawl right up the ass of the black boat. Additionally Puma, not being able to do anything about Tele, were match racing Groupama (in unfavorable weather to boot) for 2-3 days which wasn't ideal for VMG to the finish.

In light of all of these mitigating factors the only conclusion that you can accurately draw from the results of this leg is that Telefonica got lucky with the weather they did while Puma (and to a lesser extent Groupama) were unlucky in the weather that they were dealt. Don't read anything more into it because you can't. It's the same as a boat on any buoy racing course rounding the top mark 5 minutes after you and managing to carry a huge puff all the way to the finish where they're 2 seconds behind you. You may have the fastest boat on earth but he caught up because he had the breeze.

And before anyone says that this is born out of any team loyalty... I would be making the same point had Sanya, AD or Camper been the boat that won.

Spot on. Puma clearly displayed that they were able to match Tele in the conditions they had when they ended up in the same weather system. Those that are seeing the raw numbers and reading too much into it - "OMFG they gained 600nm since the horn" - you need to go and look at the weather systems they were sailing in and the race that Puma was having with GPMA before you jump to conclusions.
Agreed, in earlier legs, Tele look like they have just chewed through the other boats - but not this time. (in this specific pressure, sea state and boat config).

#27 MFMG

MFMG

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, Mountain Bike Racing, Photography

Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:45 PM

After reading Merf's post about the forces these boats are subject to, it's hard to imagine that 2 teams were able to make it around Cape Horn without major damage. Too bad Groupama had a rig failure. I am a huge Puma fan, but I would loved to see that battle play itself out. I guarantee the Puma guys are happy to win, but they know all too well what it's like to lose a rig. Until reading Merf's post, I too thought maybe the boats weren't up to the task. But, when you are racing, you're going to break stuff. I race bicycles and I've broken a ton of stuff in bike races. These are 70 foot carbon fiber yachts with canting keels. The complexity of these boats is such that it is a testament to the teams that they can finish any leg at all. These are impressive machines and these men are putting their lives at risk. If you fall off the boat in the Southern Ocean, you're dead. How the hell can someone say "yawn"?

In regards to luck, you have to say that Telefonica received a heaping dose of it. Sure, Puma was lucky, but not nearly as much as Telefonica. All of these teams are THE REAL DEAL. I saw the photo of Mike Sanderson as Sanya headed back to NZ for repairs. It hurt to see how visibly dejected he was. They've put up one hell of a fight considering they are on a previous generation boat.

Say what you will about this race, but I think it has been epic. I thrive on seeing the multitude of posts from the MCM's. I have to be honest, I wasn't following this race very closely until Puma lost their rig. The coverage of this race is second to none. And, I would argue that there is few sports going to these lengths to give their fans the best coverage. Sure, they're not perfect, but they are DAMN good at keeping us on the edge of our seat.

Too many criticisms coming from us lazy-boy sailors. I err on the side of letting the "experts" decide what is best. I can see that they are in need of making some major changes, but as long as they're racing, they're going to have breakages. And in order to be fast in the slow stuff, they're going to be on the edge of weak for the fast,rough stuff. I would hate to be part of the committee that would have to enforce new design regulations. I can't imagine trying to build a light, fast, large racing yacht that could survive any conditions. But, I will happily sit here and root for my favorite teams. I root for Puma and everybody except Telefonica. (just because they're winning -- if they were last, I'd root for them too -- I think they're the odd-on favorite)

I'm going to be suffering withdrawals once this race is over. Thankfully the Vendee isn't too far away...

#28 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,202 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 06:22 PM

Say what you will about this race, but I think it has been epic. I thrive on seeing the multitude of posts from the MCM's. I have to be honest, I wasn't following this race very closely until Puma lost their rig. The coverage of this race is second to none. And, I would argue that there is few sports going to these lengths to give their fans the best coverage. Sure, they're not perfect, but they are DAMN good at keeping us on the edge of our seat.

Good point. It's incredible to me that we're watching 15+ minutes of high-def video a day... sent through space... from sailing boats doing 20-30 knots in the Southern Ocean... 2,500 miles from land. It's awesome.

#29 HEFF

HEFF

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:17 AM

Thanks for the Offshore Racing lesson - I know all that and my comments stand. I am rooting for Puma and Kenny but there is no question that the comeback from Tele was impressive in many ways besides just a lucky weather window and I am sure that Kenny would agree except that he can't dis his own boat in the middle of the event, I don't think his sponsors would appreciate that. I think it will all come out in the wash months from now.

#30 Johnc7777

Johnc7777

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:45 PM

How the hell did they run out of food? Did they have any emergency food?

#31 sailman

sailman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,778 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:54 PM

Weight saving.

• Estimate how long the trip will be
  • Add a + or - factor and make up the food rations for the voyage
That weather system that they ran into that allowed Telephone catchup was probably not accounted for in the planning.

#32 Slim

Slim

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts
  • Interests:Skype: slim_joel

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:29 PM

Human centipede.

#33 Merit 25

Merit 25

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,647 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:41 PM

... the comeback from Tele was impressive in many ways besides just a lucky weather window ....

Care to explain? I'm sure it's just my lack of experience, but it seemed pretty clear cut to me that Tele was eating up miles b/c they were in an almost perfect weather system. More pressure and better angle the entire time they were catching up. Once they were in the same weather, the boats did what they should've done, which is pretty much go the same speed. :huh:

#34 Mexican

Mexican

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:36 AM

I wonder, did Telefonica see Groupama's dismasting as a blow to their chances (ie. a negative)? Would they have preferred to have Puma and Groupama continue their match race to the finish? This would have alllowed them to sail their own race to the finish and, potentially, pick up first place.

Groupama's dismasting freed Puma to cover the Telefonica to the finish.

Let's place this in the fantasy category.

Mex

#35 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,202 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:08 AM

I wonder, did Telefonica see Groupama's dismasting as a blow to their chances (ie. a negative)? Would they have preferred to have Puma and Groupama continue their match race to the finish? This would have alllowed them to sail their own race to the finish and, potentially, pick up first place.

Groupama's dismasting freed Puma to cover the Telefonica to the finish.

Let's place this in the fantasy category.

Mex

Very very good point. If their match race had continued inshore and in unfavorable conditions (compared to Tele's) it's entirely possible that the spaniards could have sailed right around those two in better breeze. That would have been an even bigger coup than their comeback already was.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users