32 replies to this topic

#1 SR CHIEF (RET)

SR CHIEF (RET)

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:45 PM

"I've never done such a tough offshore leg in my life," Read said moments after stepping shore. "We ran out of food a day and a half ago and it''s been pretty intense. Our hearts go out to the crews who have suffered damage. We know what that's like and it's even worse when it's in a place like the Southern Ocean."

“If we run out of food I can always just make everyone peanut butter and jelly. I have a lot of wraps left over.” – Ken Read

PUMA Ocean Racing powered by BERG skipper Ken Read:
"We've never seen such an amazing welcome. I don't know who all these people are but they seem to know us so I'm looking forward to getting to know them."

Class act!

#2 Editor

Editor

Anarchist

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,612 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:53 PM

hard not to be impressed with how he carries himself.

#3 SR CHIEF (RET)

SR CHIEF (RET)

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 12:04 AM

Truly great for our sport!

#4 Heriberto

Heriberto

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,022 posts
  • Interests:Mount Gay Sugarcane

Posted 07 April 2012 - 01:05 AM

The peanut butter thing was great. Brought back a fun memory from delivery days. The guy has an awesome sense of humor and humanity.

It is a great thing that his team won the penultimate leg of the Volvo Ocean Race.

#5 DRIFTW00D

DRIFTW00D

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,166 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 01:28 AM

Let me get this straight . No Freeze dried Food. But PB& J And Raps? He wasent out out YET. They just into the Good Stuff!! I"llTake mine with out Black Flies on the side! Posted Image

#6 SailDry

SailDry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,047 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 01:30 AM

I guess this isn't the J24 or E22 class.

#7 Heriberto

Heriberto

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,022 posts
  • Interests:Mount Gay Sugarcane

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:04 AM

Guess?

#8 Mambo Kings

Mambo Kings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,579 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:19 AM

Oh happy days.

Remember the measuring!

#9 @last

@last

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:21 AM

Class act and well deserved win-Kudos!

#10 gone

gone

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:26 PM

Kenny needs to do more work like his VO 70 work to erase more of these memories. I was an active E22 sailor when he won the Worlds, that performance left a BAD impression of the man in my mind.

IMHO I believe he has been humbled by his VOR experiences. He didn't win last time and still has some ground to make up to win this time.

Based on this VOR, I believe Kenny would be a great as an spokesman for the sport.

How do we get a network to offer more sailing video than 'Hill-Billy Hand Fishing'?

#11 tq2000

tq2000

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,150 posts
  • Interests:boats and bourbon

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:16 PM

I remember the lazarrette hatches on the 24, what happened with the E22s?

#12 hermetic

hermetic

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:34 PM

Absolutly nothing. He had good speed, great starts, hit the first shift in almost all the races, and ran away with the regatta.

Then a bunch of assholes started whining. Seems like they still are.

#13 mustang__1

mustang__1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,943 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:53 PM

Kenny needs to do more work like his VO 70 work to erase more of these memories. I was an active E22 sailor when he won the Worlds, that performance left a BAD impression of the man in my mind.

IMHO I believe he has been humbled by his VOR experiences. He didn't win last time and still has some ground to make up to win this time.

Based on this VOR, I believe Kenny would be a great as an spokesman for the sport.

How do we get a network to offer more sailing video than 'Hill-Billy Hand Fishing'?

why? what'd he do?

#14 v-max

v-max

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts
  • Interests:Vary daily

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:58 PM

"I've never done such a tough offshore leg in my life," Read said moments after stepping shore. "We ran out of food a day and a half ago and it''s been pretty intense. Our hearts go out to the crews who have suffered damage. We know what that's like and it's even worse when it's in a place like the Southern Ocean."

"If we run out of food I can always just make everyone peanut butter and jelly. I have a lot of wraps left over." – Ken Read

PUMA Ocean Racing powered by BERG skipper Ken Read:
"We've never seen such an amazing welcome. I don't know who all these people are but they seem to know us so I'm looking forward to getting to know them."

Class act!

+1!

#15 jesposito

jesposito

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,538 posts
  • Interests:cycling, skiing and depressing the competition on the race course

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:00 PM

Absolutly nothing. He had good speed, great starts, hit the first shift in almost all the races, and ran away with the regatta.

Don't try to defuse the story, I know for a fact what was done ;)

#16 clamslapper

clamslapper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:40 PM

For the benefit of the great unwashed: what was done? And what was the scuttlebutt in J24s?

#17 tq2000

tq2000

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,150 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:55 PM

so the usual, got it.

#18 tq2000

tq2000

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,150 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:01 PM

For the benefit of the great unwashed: what was done? And what was the scuttlebutt in J24s?

If I remember right they found foam core in the laz hatches in the 24, against class rules but did not quite rise to the level of corking a bat in my estimation. In any case, I am a big fan of his Puma campaigns and agree he is great for the sport and especially great for promoting sailing in the US, where there are few national figures that the avg American can connect with on an emotional level.

#19 Dixie

Dixie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,676 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:47 PM

Sometimes people learn and move on. Sometimes people tell the same old stories in the same old YC bars for years and years. Looks to me like Kenny Read has moved on. And congrats to him and the team.

#20 Hike, Bitches!

Hike, Bitches!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,570 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:15 AM

Sometimes people learn and move on. Sometimes people tell the same old stories in the same old YC bars for years and years. Looks to me like Kenny Read has moved on. And congrats to him and the team.

+1 dixie.

How many of you bitches just sailed around Cape Horn, fought off two challenges, didn't have to stop for repairs, and can still talk about PB & J sandwiches after 20+ days on a dry boat? :rolleyes:

Go the PUMA. By the way, as much as I respect Read, I am also pretty sure he had a few other people helping him out, sailing around Cape Horn and all, so congrats to the rest of Team Puma as well! B)

#21 cside

cside

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:01 PM

I love to tell the same old crappy stories.

I was racing in a worlds with a pure amateur crew - we were completely outclassed but could occasionally be the blind squirrel. We had just taken a second and had almost caught up and beaten Ken for first. In the next race, we had a major issue at the top of the mast forcing us to withdraw for the day. At the club that night Ken came to the table and offered us the parts and his time with two other crew members to make the fix over night and get us back to the line. Our owner declined the help but accepted the parts. We fixed the mast and got back out into it. Upon our arrival Ken and his crew of pros came over to us as we were not paying attention and trying to shake things down and gave us three cheers for getting back in. - CLASS - we weren't even flying North. That was years ago, but you don't forget things like that.

#22 Cheap Beer

Cheap Beer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:08 PM

The look on his face those last few hundred miles. No one was going to get in front of him. It was the "cover of death", the last match race.

#23 StayinStrewn

StayinStrewn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, snowboarding, hockey

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:12 PM

I was racing in a worlds with a pure amateur crew - we were completely outclassed but could occasionally be the blind squirrel. We had just taken a second and had almost caught up and beaten Ken for first. In the next race, we had a major issue at the top of the mast forcing us to withdraw for the day. At the club that night Ken came to the table and offered us the parts and his time with two other crew members to make the fix over night and get us back to the line. Our owner declined the help but accepted the parts. We fixed the mast and got back out into it. Upon our arrival Ken and his crew of pros came over to us as we were not paying attention and trying to shake things down and gave us three cheers for getting back in. - CLASS - we weren't even flying North. That was years ago, but you don't forget things like that.

solid

#24 @last

@last

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:01 PM

Thanks for sharing-great story, class act.

#25 Timbo

Timbo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Interests:Life's Short...

Sail Fast!

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:13 PM

Mmmmmm... Kenny had done some "creative" faring to his keel.. lots o lift :ph34r:

#26 jesposito

jesposito

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,538 posts
  • Interests:cycling, skiing and depressing the competition on the race course

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:43 PM

I don't think anyone here would say That Kenny is a bad guy. Matter of fact he is just the opposite, a great competitor, a gentleman on and off the course. He is also very gracious. All my dealings over the years have always been enjoyable and pleasureable
I also know that he is not the only one out there that pushes the rules, but that is also why he is one of the best sailors in the world. The rules are made to be pushed. I don't believe any of he titles have been taken away, which means innocent until proven guilty. Just because he finds the loop holes, doesn't make him a cheater

#27 SR CHIEF (RET)

SR CHIEF (RET)

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:48 AM

solid

Also one of the funniest guys to share a rum with!

#28 Timbo

Timbo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Interests:Life's Short...

Sail Fast!

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:05 AM

I don't think anyone here would say That Kenny is a bad guy. Matter of fact he is just the opposite, a great competitor, a gentleman on and off the course. He is also very gracious. All my dealings over the years have always been enjoyable and pleasureable
I also know that he is not the only one out there that pushes the rules, but that is also why he is one of the best sailors in the world. The rules are made to be pushed. I don't believe any of he titles have been taken away, which means innocent until proven guilty. Just because he finds the loop holes, doesn't make him a cheater

I completly agree. +1

#29 Raked aft \\

Raked aft \\

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:52 AM

I completly agree. +1

Ditto.

Sailed against both Kenny & Brad in college, where you might as well show up to an intersectional wearing pads. Both of them were always class acts on and off the water, and a blast to party with!

#30 Cruisin Loser

Cruisin Loser

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,546 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, rock climbing, skiing, steatopygia, stuff

Posted 11 April 2012 - 04:02 AM

Also one of the funniest guys to share a rum with!

I know where he gets that. I haven't seen Ken since he was a kid, and don't know him, but I sailed with and against his dad a lot. Bob is much as fun I've ever had on a distance race.

I once took a flier against Bob and came in from nowhere on port tack to beat him at the line for 1st. At the club that evening he loudly announced me as "the Rosie Ruiz of sailing". Then he bought our crew a round. I love that guy.

#31 hermetic

hermetic

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:12 PM

Mmmmmm... Kenny had done some "creative" faring to his keel.. lots o lift :ph34r:

It's funny that people wig out over the keel root thing when others had done the same thing a decade earlier.

That had nothing to do with the results, Kenny set his rig up perfectly, had his way with the starting line all week, and crushed us all. Pretty simple.

#32 worthless

worthless

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:35 PM

J-24 midwinters title taken away if a very hazy memory is correct.

Nice guy though.

#33 Great Red Shark

Great Red Shark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,467 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:40 AM

If I recall correctly KR did get a regatta-win vacated, after-the-fact as his J-24 was deemed "non-compliant" - the issue was the boat's rear lazerette covers (hatches) - you know ,the ones that don't exist on current boats - were re-built. Ken claimed they had gone 'soft' from use and leaks and he had someone re-core them from the inside. Upon WEIGHING them, they were found to be HEAVIER than stock-issue, but the boat was flicked nonetheless and years later people still use it to knock the guy.

Kinda bogus in my book.

A competitor at the event claimed Ken's boat-speed was so good that "no stock J could go so well" - so there you have it, - want more speed add weight to your stern hatches. Couldn't POSSIBLY be they were just super-dialed in and the driver was clicking bigtime......naaaaah....

Congrats on your W, Ken - hope to see more of them yet this Volvo !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users