79 replies to this topic

#1 wkd928

wkd928

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:38 AM

As described, the gf and I are sailing home to NZ setting off through the Great Lakes this summer from about the 20th June and heading for St Johns in Newfoundland before crossing the Atlantic. Ive enjoyed reading these forums so Im adding something back both to titillate any merchants of doom who might frequent the site as well as hopefully gaining local knowledge from anarchists along the way.

Here is a link to the boats fb page: http://www.facebook....14&__att=iframe

We are in the process of packing up our lives into boxes with two weeks more of work before we go out to the boat and start on an improbable list of jobs which we cannot possibly complete before departure, but at least none of them should be show stoppers or things that cant be finished as we go.

Here is a link to a pdf from last years visit: Attached File  Detroit 2011.pdf   968.74K   195 downloads

I will post with more updates as we go but im not going to promise anything regular in advance - we wont be taking satelite tech (aside from the EPIRB) or even a pactor modem for the SSB.

If anyone wants to share local insight on places to stop along the way with a draft of 9'8" please do so!

#2 the_abandoned_brane

the_abandoned_brane

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,203 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 10:18 AM

with that draft, youre limited on erie. put in bay is however a doable nice stop. so is presque isle in erie p.a.

#3 wkd928

wkd928

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:40 PM

Ive got copies of the lakeland boaters guides and it lists all the marinas and there contact details - very helpfully, the confusing part is the draft at the dock vs what i can see on the charts. Any suggestions about where to tie up in presque isle, is anchoring an option?

#4 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,777 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 03:15 PM

you damn Kiwis are pretty hardcore. Traveling 2/3 around the world in that thing doesn't look like my idea of fun. It makes me wet just looking at it and not the kind of wet that costs $20 at the strip joint.

#5 P_Wop

P_Wop

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:45 PM

Long distance offshore in a well-built IOR 50 isn't so bad, really. I did many thousands of miles delivering these things years back - pretty painless. But usually 4 crew not 2.

Pros
* you can go to windward quickly in about any weather - sometimes a major advantage when you're trying to seek shelter
* The boat will bounce and bang off waves, but you won't hurt it
* A poled-out jibtop and a reef is an awesome downwind rig in the trades and Southern Ocean.

Cons
* Aluminium construction can make things interesting inside on hot days
* Keeping the rig in column in heavy air
* Deck layout isn't ideal for short handing. But hey, Tabarly did an OSTAR on his Whitbread maxi ketch, so....

Enjoy - sounds like a fine endeavor.

#6 wkd928

wkd928

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 05:31 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys :) We have managed to find a few people to join us for the different parts of the journey and so far we are between 4-6 persons all the way to Brazil. Ive seen the jibtop only once and it didnt look that heavy so i guess we will have to work hard to make sure it lasts into the Southern Ocean..

Any low tech tips for keeping cool in hot climates would be appreciated. As for the rig and keeping it in column - That makes me feel like Sons :) Id love to hear any sage advice from persons with experience of these relatively small section masts and heavy air.

As for what $20 gets you in the USA... i just dont think its fair that we pay more for gas as well!

#7 P_Wop

P_Wop

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 09:19 PM

A couple of heavy air rigging tips for noodle rigs. A little prep on these before you leave could pay dividends.

1. When sailing offwind in breeze, there is enormous load on the vang. With the boom squared off, this puts huge sideways load on the mast at the gooseneck - the vang is essentially trying to propel the boom right through the mast, and will be pushing it out of column here in a nasty way. The spinnaker pole will be doing exactly the same a bit further up, but in the opposite direction. The resulting S-bend is not a sight for the faint-hearted.

When Drum lost her bullet-proof Whitbread spar as she rolled over keel-less in the 85 Fastnet, she was re-rigged with her 'spare' mast, an inshore 4-spreader noodle from the maxi Xargo. Apart from a pair of temporary chicken stays out to the rail mid-foredeck to counter spin pole loads, she was rigged with a pair of temporary gooseneck-stays out to the chainplates. To further reduce the problem, a big webbing strop was run over the boom and via a 3:1 tackle back to a winch to act as a sort of vertical vang.

See the famous Rick Tomlinson photos of Drum surfing under poled-out jibtop in the Southern Ocean in 86 and you can spot all these bits. The rig stayed up all round the planet, and across the Atlantic twice afterwards too.

Posted Image

2. Next, runners and checkstays. Prebend is always good, but for your trip, not too much (perhaps 'one section's worth'), otherwise the runner loads become large. She IS a masthead, right? Worst of all is negative bend, i.e. runners on, and backstay off. Inverting the rig will very likely bring it down, or at least weaken it badly. So you need to be smart on the runners upwind. Less so downhill, as the mast will be a bit straighter with the backstay half off.

3. Gybing in very heavy air with two reefs in is also a big problem with the runners. This can be significantly helped if the headboard, when you have two reefs in, is at least a foot below the runner position on the mast, which is probably will be. You can then disconnect the checkstays from the runner block - change their attachment here to a big snapshackle - and set them up with a 4:1 tackle out to the rail. You can then set up both runners as you run downwind, and when you gybe, the main passes safely across below them both. All you have to deal with is the checkstays, which are far less loaded. This really adds peace of mind.

4. Use the babystay to reduce mast pumping in a seaway. And if you have a removeable inner forestay, use that too when pounding in a breeze.

5. When poling out a jibtop, rig a separate pole guy as well. Makes it so much easier to set up, and especially to gybe the jib off the pole if you have an emergency, as the sail still has two sheets (and two aftguys) on the clew, and the pole doesn't go flying around. Again, see the Drum photo.

Errr.... more later, and all IMHO, of course. But a good 80's style rigger who remembers all this will be a big help.

#8 wkd928

wkd928

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 11:16 PM

Pwop - thanks for posting a pic as this helps me see what is being said - great pic too - i love all the whitbread vids from back in the day, i still remember the whitbread fleet visiting Auckland when i was a kid and walking over Peter Blakes Ceramco. Excellent advice about separating the upper and lower checks, i would never have thought of that or sheeting the main vertically to the rail.. Here is a pic of the boat at the dock - masthead with upper and lower checks - we will also have a cutter stay rigged before we go - using the topping lift for a halyard for the storm and number 4 jibs. What kind of tackle did you use for chicken stays?
Attached File  Frers 50.jpg   42.74K   274 downloads

#9 P_Wop

P_Wop

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:06 AM

For the chicken stay for a 50 we used 1/4" 1x19 wire with a swaged T-terminal at the top, with the corresponding eye carefully put into the mast a bit below normal pole height - you want to be able to reach it by standing on the boom. Be careful to make them staggered vertically about 12" on the mast - you don't want a 'tear here' line of holes round the tube! If you don't like the thought of drilling big holes in the stick (smart chap) then bolt a good strong padeye (Wichard folding ones are ideal) on the side of the mast, angled at about 45° to the horizontal. You may need to carve a chunk of G20 to fit the mast for this. Then put a big snapshackle on the top end of the wire.

Bottom end gets a turnbuckle (one of the ones with folding handles is excellent) and another big snapshackle connected to a deck padeye, right on the rail edge under the lifelines, about 6-7 feet forward of the mast. This padeye should be rotated about 45° to 'face' the mast, and through-bolted. The Harken 689 is ideal. Also becomes a handy place to tie up the dinghy later!

The gooseneck stay is just like it, but shorter, although if you have shroud chainplates on deck with a spare hole anywhere, then the bottom snapshackle under the turnbuckle can get clipped into a D-shackle on that.

Remember, you only really need one of each piece of gear, as you'd swap it over after the gybe.

Hope this helps.

#10 the_abandoned_brane

the_abandoned_brane

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,203 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:55 AM

I'll be there this weekend, find out more info. I bought a boat there last fall and have to move it before the end of this month. I do know the bay itself has anchoring. unsure of the depth though.

#11 wkd928

wkd928

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:31 AM

Pwop, probably this isnt helping me at the moment as its another thing to think about right at the time when my brain is already in meltdown mode with a million things to sort out before we go.. Lucky for me that Offshore Spars is just down the road from where the boat is so i will have a word with Mike and see what his view is - they made the spar so they should have a few ideas. Im wondering about dyneema and lashings instead of hardware...

As for Presque Isle, any info regards anchoring or docking would be cool. The charts i have dont say you cant anchor in the bay..

#12 Joli

Joli

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:57 PM

Hey WKD, saw your boat over the weekend, everything looked fine.

Coming through Erie, stopping at PIB, do not attempt to go into the docks or to the fuel dock. Use the red top buoys, the eastern most row for 50 foot and up. If you need fuel go to Huron Ohio, 10 miles east of Sandusky, 30 miles east of PIB. The river is deep and the fuel dock has 13 foot or more. Next stop down the lake is Lakeside Yacht Club, you can lay on the outside wall, fuel and supplies are available. Erie Yacht club is another 60~70 miles. You can anchor in the bay and/or go into the club for fuel and supplies. All the clubs are good places to visit with nice facilities. Next stop is the Welland, sometimes it's easy to get through, other times you have to wait. Buy heavy leather gloves and round up some help, some people use hay bales for this trip but the down bound is not as bad as coming up. You need snatch blocks toward the bow and stern and will ease out the lines the canal provides as you are lowered.

Maybe we'll catch up at Sassy, good luck with the trip.

Joli

#13 P_Wop

P_Wop

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:21 PM

Pwop, probably this isnt helping me at the moment as its another thing to think about right at the time when my brain is already in meltdown mode with a million things to sort out before we go.. Lucky for me that Offshore Spars is just down the road from where the boat is so i will have a word with Mike and see what his view is - they made the spar so they should have a few ideas. Im wondering about dyneema and lashings instead of hardware...

As for Presque Isle, any info regards anchoring or docking would be cool. The charts i have dont say you cant anchor in the bay..

Actually, don't worry about the extra stays at all. You're cruising after all!

I think the 3 good takeaways are:
* reducing prebend (Offshore can help)
* re-doing the check attachments for gybing under the runners (Offshore can help)
* and a strop over the boom for a downhaul to take the vang load down (Offshore can help).

Have fun!

#14 wkd928

wkd928

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:47 PM

Joli, thanks and yeah i hope we get to meet up. We arrive into DTW on the 23rd and are pretty much there for the duration, the gf is labelling the first couple of weeks the 'sandwich' cause we are tackling the undersides, cabin sole and then the deck..

Thanks again for the insight - i know youve posted this before now, totally looking forward to seeing these places for ourselves - great idea on the hay bales too.

#15 wkd928

wkd928

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 05:01 PM

Pwop - I will get the Offshore Spars guys to look at how much prebend weve got dialed in - I know Mike said something about setting in a certain amount to negate the need for a babystay for most of the time. Definitely the check attachments with large snap shackles is a great idea. If we can rig something up to sheet the main to the rail this should reduce the loads on the mast and yeah i suppose if we see deflection from the spinnaker pole whilst short handed we might have other problems too eh?!

#16 v-max

v-max

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts
  • Interests:Vary daily

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:55 PM

Your timeline is probably too tight for the Route Halifax St Pierre Ocean race starting in Halifax on July 8.

Linky

But you might be able to make the party on Friday the 13th of July in St Pierre.

The Ocean One Race starts the next day and heads to St John's Newfoundland.

Linky for that too

#17 Anson

Anson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:39 PM

IN a quick Scan of the above thread I didn't see what boat this was? She looks like she might be the old Frers 50' Springbok, built for David Rosow. What was she in her prior incarnations?

#18 wkd928

wkd928

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:43 PM

Vmax, yeah we are not going to make it for the races above but maybe we will be in St Johns as people arrive - I hope so, it looks like a friendly place :)

The boat started life as Windquest built for the DeVos family and first competing in the 1986 SORC shortly after launch, subsequently Allegiance and in the Great Lakes.

#19 roundtail67

roundtail67

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:57 AM

Hey wkd928, I PM'd you about the trip.

#20 Aviator

Aviator

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:00 AM

I have always admired the IOR 50s. Their popularity (and IOR in general) was in decline about the same time as there was considerable debate about how to develop a professional sailing circuit. I was surprised then, and still wonder why I never heard of any talk of developing such a circuit around these boats, much like the TP52 Med Cup circuit of recent years. I will be looking forward to seeing "Taniwha" as she passes through here.

I would also recommend, if you can fit it in your schedule, a visit to St. Pierre regradless of the races taking place around that time. It is a very unique place and well worth a visit. You should also be aware that there will be a very, very high probability of sailing the south coast of Newfoundland in dense fog. On a passage from Halifax to St. Pierre in 2007, we saw nothing (and I seriously mean nothing - max visibility less than 0.5 nm) from 2-3 hours outside of Halifax Harbour until we were inside the harbour in St. Pierre, and the fog didn't clear until the followig morning.

#21 wkd928

wkd928

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:13 AM

Thanks be to GPS, chartplotters, radar and AIS.. I dont like fog . We do go past St Pierre, i Understand its actually a part of France - probably due a baguette and some proper coffee by then :)

#22 Aviator

Aviator

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:52 PM

Thanks be to GPS, chartplotters, radar and AIS.. I dont like fog . We do go past St Pierre, i Understand its actually a part of France - probably due a baguette and some proper coffee by then :)

Yes, it is actually part of France, which in part makes it so unique. On the 2007 trip, when I was bringing my boat from NYC, the broker had asked me if there were any last minute items he could pick up for me. Several days earlier he had taken me to Landfall and I had noticed that they had a full array of courtesy flags but it completely escaped me that I should pick up a Tricolour. So I got a laugh out of asking if he could pop in there and pick one up for me, as I intended to sail to France on the way back to Newfoundland!

#23 IRC Rocket Rider

IRC Rocket Rider

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts
  • Interests:The avatar previously know as PHRFBrickRider

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:11 AM

Hey WKD, saw your boat over the weekend, everything looked fine.

Coming through Erie, stopping at PIB, do not attempt to go into the docks or to the fuel dock. Use the red top buoys, the eastern most row for 50 foot and up. If you need fuel go to Huron Ohio, 10 miles east of Sandusky, 30 miles east of PIB. The river is deep and the fuel dock has 13 foot or more. Next stop down the lake is Lakeside Yacht Club, you can lay on the outside wall, fuel and supplies are available. Erie Yacht club is another 60~70 miles. You can anchor in the bay and/or go into the club for fuel and supplies. All the clubs are good places to visit with nice facilities. Next stop is the Welland, sometimes it's easy to get through, other times you have to wait. Buy heavy leather gloves and round up some help, some people use hay bales for this trip but the down bound is not as bad as coming up. You need snatch blocks toward the bow and stern and will ease out the lines the canal provides as you are lowered.

Maybe we'll catch up at Sassy, good luck with the trip.

Joli

Word. He knows the deep draft places in Lake Erie.

#24 wkd928

wkd928

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 01:52 PM

We met with mr and mrs Joli at the yard as well as having a tour of the c&c 61 (fabulous boat) then afterwards we retired to the Raft for burgers and to swap stories.. Some excellent advice and info on our planned passage out from sailors who have been here cruising and racing the great lakes.
I've got a few pics to upload here from the last two weeks working on the bottom, will share later today - have the second coat of bottom paint to add first!

#25 wkd928

wkd928

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 02:56 AM

Here are a few pics, its been a busy two weeks.. Apologies if anyone feels misled by the thread title as for the next few weeks we are not sailing but heavy into maintenance instead! I will let the pics speak for themselves as at the minute we are dog tired, the switch from pushing pens to filler and sanding has me feeling like im aged about seventy in the mornings.

Attached File  Ex UK.jpg   50.46K   15 downloads

Attached File  1st survey.jpg   106.48K   28 downloads

Attached File  removing shrinkwrap.jpg   48.48K   44 downloads

Attached File  pulling thru hulls.jpg   53.64K   50 downloads

Attached File  IMG_6007.jpg   49.08K   34 downloads

#26 PMH

PMH

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 02:44 PM

I'm also adding up some miles in an old IOR boat. 50' Alum by S&S out of Palmer Johnson. (Scaramouche 1971) Can't tell you how informative (and inspirational) that picture by P_Wop was, plus the commentary. Big thank-you, great thread

#27 wkd928

wkd928

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 02:22 AM

Here are a few more pics, ive been having some trouble uploading to the SA website. Pics are of the bottom job in progress, starting with the first coat:
Attached File  IMG_6029.jpg   47.4K   36 downloads

Attached File  IMG_6058.jpg   51.97K   49 downloads

Attached File  IMG_6080.jpg   37.44K   45 downloads

Attached File  IMG_6113.jpg   51.15K   46 downloads

PMH, do you have any pics of our boat?

#28 Great Red Shark

Great Red Shark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,478 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 02:35 AM

Lookin' GOOD !

Please keep the thread updated & thanks for taking us along.

I crewed on a 40-rater (what they called the IOR 50-footers) 'back in the day' and they WERE really good boats to sail/race aboard - big, but not TOO big.

Had some great passages & deliveries on the Peterson 48 FLASH, sailed against a great section in the '88 KENWOOD CUP - Heaven can wait, Cyclone, Bengal....I'm forgetting some.

#29 wkd928

wkd928

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 02:47 AM

First and last round of fairing!
Attached File  IMG_6135.jpg   42.09K   18 downloads
Attached File  IMG_6161.jpg   50.66K   26 downloads

Rotten old floor boards
Attached File  IMG_6182.jpg   63.75K   26 downloads

#30 wkd928

wkd928

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 02:57 AM

We had some cold weather during the first couple of weeks, so cold the epoxy wasnt setting. It made for really long pot life which suited my typically slow and deliberate pace! On the plus side people have been really warm and weve had some really nice dinners out with our fellow cruisers.
Attached File  IMG_6232.jpg   58.27K   12 downloads

Attached File  IMG_6240.jpg   44.3K   10 downloads

Attached File  IMG_6244.jpg   39.52K   11 downloads

Attached File  IMG_6248.jpg   37.71K   14 downloads

Attached File  IMG_6252.jpg   51.75K   16 downloads

#31 Joli

Joli

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 11:44 AM

It was great meeting you guys, hopefully we'll have another chance to get together when you pass through the lake . Joli

#32 wkd928

wkd928

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 08:54 AM

A few more pics of the bottom job including replacing all the thru hulls:
Battleship grey, looks quite good i think

Attached File  IMG_6416.jpg   57.45K   24 downloads

Keel hull joint
Attached File  IMG_6426.jpg   40.18K   25 downloads

Thru hull detail
Attached File  IMG_6429.jpg   51.36K   18 downloads
Attached File  IMG_6500.jpg   43.53K   22 downloads

Attached File  IMG_6573.jpg   51.01K   24 downloads

Attached File  IMG_6686.jpg   31.57K   22 downloads

We added four coats of interprotect
Attached File  IMG_6468.jpg   50.68K   26 downloads

Peeling the tape off was really rewarding
Attached File  IMG_6777.jpg   40.62K   30 downloads

Attached File  IMG_6970.jpg   44.57K   32 downloads

Attached Files

#33 Roleur

Roleur

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts
  • Interests:Pacific Cup 2014

Posted 03 June 2012 - 01:52 PM

The grey bottom does look good. What paint is it?

When is splash day?

#34 wkd928

wkd928

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:54 PM

The boat is in the water already, I'll post a pic of her floating. The alternate grey and white coats are interprotect 2000 , we put Trilux 33 over the top of that.

#35 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,777 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:06 PM

beauty!

#36 wkd928

wkd928

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 08:55 AM

So the boat floats after replacing all the thru hulls :) And we are pleased with the choice of white for the bottom.

Attached File  IMG_7045.jpg   66.37K   89 downloads

Attached File  IMG_3267.jpg   70.36K   113 downloads

But to keep on schedule for our planned voyage we still have a lot to do - starting with repainting the deck. Masking up all the deck hardware on the old machine was such a monumental PITA..

Attached File  IMG_7084.jpg   63.49K   96 downloads

Attached File  IMG_7123.jpg   47.8K   68 downloads

#37 rattus32

rattus32

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 05:31 AM

So the boat floats after replacing all the thru hulls :) And we are pleased with the choice of white for the bottom.

Are there programs now that put the filmy-looking stuff on the edges of digital photos to grant that air of authenticity? ;-)

Nice photo!

Mike

#38 wkd928

wkd928

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 06:12 AM

Hey Mike, that's the better half with her iPhone and an app called hipstomatic. She's been going a bit experimental with the b&w and sepia, but I'm not complaining as long as she's sticking around - I count myself lucky!

#39 FOP

FOP

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, skiing & cars

Posted 10 June 2012 - 05:25 AM

Attached File  IMG_7045.jpg   66.37K   89 downloads

But to keep on schedule for our planned voyage we still have a lot to do - starting with repainting the deck. Masking up all the deck hardware on the old machine was such a monumental PITA..

Attached File  IMG_7084.jpg   63.49K   96 downloads

Attached File  IMG_7123.jpg   47.8K   68 downloads

Hej wkd and gf,

It looks so good, you should be very proud of what you have done so far. I dream of cold days when filler does not cure... it is so much, "close to the BIG goal of finishing the job". I am glad to hear that you have a crew organized, if have cancellations on any of the legs let me knowPosted Image.

Did you mix the deck paint with some anti slip stuff? From what you showed it looks really nice. How is the work with the floor boards, ready?

Keep up the good work and keep posting.

//FOP

Progress on Flirt is down to zero since I am currently in China for business and the old man is on vacationPosted Image

#40 wkd928

wkd928

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:38 PM

FOP, we used AsperGrit and so far it seems good. Again it's been a long time since writing, and apologies for the lack of pics but we are bandwidth restricted and have been even more tight with spare time. But it finally looks like we are in spitting distance of setting off from Detroit, definitely sometime this week. Hopefully my next report will be from the other end of Lake Erie, we will probably sail right by put in bay in an effort to make back some time on our schedule. Mind you it looks like the diesel will get a few hours of use too, forecasts show lighter air. I'm able to post more on Facebook so if anyone wants to follow us there search for: Taniwha Frers

#41 Great Red Shark

Great Red Shark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,478 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:24 PM

I've been wondering about your project/adventure and figured you were just 'head down' & working hard. Please know we ARE still interested and hope you can write up the trip when time allows - but meanwhile, glad to hear things are getting squared away - don't worry, WE all know it always takes longer than you planned for when boat-work is involved.

#42 wkd928

wkd928

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:06 PM

Here is a brief update after crossing lakes Erie and Ontario: lake Erie definitely deserves its reputation; the Welland canal is ok going down; Toronto is a bitch of a place to see anything in the dark; Coburgh marina is a great deep draft marina with super friendly towns folk and the Fed in Kingston does actually have 10' of water at its day dock..Double handing the beast has been hard work as we are hand steering the whole time, drawing the best part of 10' limits docking options when you want to pull in as well. We opted to sail straight across lake Erie in an effort to make up time, the wind built to a solid 20-25 overnight out of the north and going around to the East making for a challenging first night! We were down to the number four and had two reefs in the main and it still felt like too much. Other dramas have included discovering that reverse is choosy about engaging; the running lights giving out on the way into Toronto and a test of the emergency tiller last night when the steering chain jumped off one of the wheels.. At least we are eating well, Michelle is a fabulous cook and a real trooper, she didn't even freak when we lost steerage.. I did though!

#43 Joli

Joli

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 01:14 PM

Ouch, tough going sailing into a big NE breeze. For those not familiar, NE with 25 yields 8~10 footers with a 3.5 second period.

Better keep that girl if she's willing to condo jump across Lake Erie with you. And I'm not refering to the boat.

All the best.

Joli

#44 wkd928

wkd928

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:58 AM

Cheers! Yes the gf is definitely a keeper, shame we did not get to meet up in put in bay though. Currently in Prescott and looking for more crew after one of the potentials pulled out.
Lake Erie was definitely a wild ride but I was pleased that everything we had stowed stayed in its place. At points I kept thinking of one of those 'Old Spice' adds with that ketch? crashing to windward..

#45 Leka

Leka

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 01:39 AM

Great story.
Look forward to hearing about the trip as it unfolds.

Safe sailing.

#46 wkd928

wkd928

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:18 PM

Departing Quebec this morning..

#47 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,777 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 03:05 PM

Fair winds you guys! How exciting!

#48 wkd928

wkd928

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 01:33 PM

We are now in Gaspe, beautiful marina here and really friendly people. We left Quebec on Tuesday and spent a couple of nights at anchor and then two more underway before arriving here yesterday morning. I'm well over bloody red and green cans and narrow channels.. We've had some really nice sailing down the track as well although we've also used a fair quantity of diesel, needing to pull in on one occasion to refill six jerry cans. First night we anchored of Isle Aux Coudres to stem tide, anchor was fine with the shift in tide and 3-4 knots of current but at about 3am the wind went to the north and we found ourselves in a marginal anchorage on a lee shore with a rapidly building wind. The day before we had seen gusts up to 40 kn coming over the steep hills and we had been making 7-8 knots at points with just the 4 set on an inner stay. Getting the hook up was challenging as the current pulled one way and the wind tried to blow the nose off and back at the beach constantly.. We managed and set the 4 again as soon as we could, again seeing gusts up to 40kn coming down over the hills and a steady thirty in between. Not long after daybreak and the wind went away completely so we were back on the engine the reset of the way to Tadousac. Spent the night in a beautiful but tiny bay just past the ferry terminus on the northern side of the Saguenay although we did set an anchor watch as the forecast called for the wind to reverse and come from the south. The last two days have been a combo of motoring and sailing including some really nice wing on wing sailing in 20 kn. We did pop a kite up briefly in about five knots of breeze only for the tylaska on the halyard to open shortly after we had the genoa furled! We haven't yet set the pole up as we are still short handed with inexperienced crew and the breeze has been less than consistent, the spin we set we did so from the anchor on the bow. Resting now for a day and then Isle de Madeline - St Pierre and St Johns where our further crew join us.

#49 wkd928

wkd928

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 01:54 PM

Almost forgot to mention all the belugas, dolphins and wright whales we saw coming out! I've managed to post some pics on Facebook as well, back to today's job list..

#50 wkd928

wkd928

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 04:58 PM

Currently in Newfoundland, just at the tip of it really - Port aux Basques. Had an excellent crossing to Isles de Madeline where we anchored off Port Aubert and sat out a day of lousy weather and then overnight again here to the south west tip of Newfoundland. Crazy accent people here have but super friendly all the same, beautiful place and even more so in the sunlight when the fog clears!

#51 Joli

Joli

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 06:46 PM

Glad it's going well. Still planning to cross over to the UK?

#52 wkd928

wkd928

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:23 PM

Just arrived at St Pierre, another really lovely spot. Had a great sail across logging 150 miles in the 24 hrs with wind veering continuously from SW to E throughout but a good days run in spite of this. Yes we are still planning on crossing, there are other boats here doing the same all be it they are planning on going via the Azores.

#53 wkd928

wkd928

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:01 PM

Some video:

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.c...ed/We43Ezqrea8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.c...ed/KM5Yhce3vL8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#54 wkd928

wkd928

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:05 PM

Sorry if the above video dosent come out, this computer malarchy is escaping me. Im using the internet connection in a hotel lobby here in St Johns and im having to buy drinks to justify my existence here :)

#55 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,686 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:08 AM

Try these:

#56 wkd928

wkd928

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:16 AM

That's the one! Just watching the weather now, might push off tomorrow. There is a ketch here with a Welsh skipper who is leaving today for Ireland which is somehow comforting to know there s at least another boat out here.

#57 floating dutchman

floating dutchman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,815 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:49 AM

Very very cool!

Livin the dream.

#58 Roleur

Roleur

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:53 AM

That's the one! Just watching the weather now, might push off tomorrow. There is a ketch here with a Welsh skipper who is leaving today for Ireland which is somehow comforting to know there s at least another boat out here.

Best of luck and fair winds. It can seem pretty lonely out there at times. We didn't see another boat, ship, airplane, or any sign of human life for 7 days in the middle of our crossing.

Do you have a way to send updates while underway?

#59 wkd928

wkd928

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:02 PM

No we will be incommunicado as far as the Internet is concerned although we do have an SSB. Working that thing seems like a black art.

#60 wkd928

wkd928

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 02:29 PM

Still in St Johns, the Welsh ketch returned after the skipper found himself going too far south and unable to go under the system he encountered - not encouraging to see the top part of one of his masts missing. In any event we are likely pushing off tomorrow, we met another ketch, an irwin 52 that also left this week on Thursday, I hope things are going well for them. I'm currently looking at weather files and trying to anticipate our passage including crew management and how and when we will change up or down gears.. And what the sea might look like if we deploy the drouge. I don't mind admitting its a daunting prospect all things considered but I have faith in the crew and the boat even if collectively we don't have bags of rough weather experience.I doubt we will fly kites unless the weather is truly benign but we do have a number two jib top that could give us a bit of drive without major drama, poling out the genoa has already proven a good downwind solution as well, motoring will be restricted to leaving and entering port due to our limited diesel capacity. With a bit of luck we won't see any true survival conditions and will instead have good pressure and modest seas mostly, from what I'm looking at currently although by this time next week we will probably be nearer the middle of another low. Even though the lows have been pulled southwards by the jet stream we will still aim for the rhumb line mostly this week, and think about ducking south as and when things change. We aim to update our weather via SSB fax on the iPad, hopefully it's sufficient to give us a heads up before anything massive comes our way. Hopefully the lows are kind to us, I'm not superstitious but I might become religious along the way!

#61 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,686 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 02:41 PM

Good luck and fair winds. Sail safe.

#62 Joli

Joli

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 01:36 PM

Good luck guys, I hope you have a quick and easy sail.

#63 wkd928

wkd928

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 08:42 AM

Made it! More to follow..

#64 hobot

hobot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,365 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 08:46 AM

Allright!!

#65 Roleur

Roleur

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 11:54 AM

Made it! More to follow..

Wow! In what, 12 or 13 days? What was your mileage?

#66 Innocent Bystander

Innocent Bystander

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,043 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 12:18 PM

Excellent. Love to hear the story when you've had a rest.

#67 jhiller

jhiller

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 06:19 PM

Is the boat really up for sale at a bargain price ?

#68 wkd928

wkd928

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 07:11 PM

We are open to all offers including those from prospective crew. Our planned self steering didn't work and hand steering means a larger crew (who can steer) than we have been planning.

#69 jhiller

jhiller

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 09:37 PM

A really good autopilot makes a passage much easier. Wish I could help. A nasty passage has a way of attenuating our dreams..

#70 wkd928

wkd928

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 10:07 PM

It really was not a nasty passage, in fact we were lucky with the weather but we really need to reconsider the whole plan without self steering.

#71 Roleur

Roleur

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:14 AM

I've been pondering this one... Did you have an autopilot? Did it just not work well, or? Why wouldn't a good autopilot solve the problem? Surely there are several good options capable of steering the boat well.

#72 JBE

JBE

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:13 AM

Nice to see you say that Roleur, I've been thinking the same. You can get a good electric/ hydraulic drive and hook it up to an old control head and computer if its existing on the boat. I've had success with that... old raymarine st 6000 and new drive.

#73 wkd928

wkd928

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 04:21 PM

We have a windvane which we could not get to hold a course, we tried connecting a tiller pilot to it without success either. At this stage we don't have a budget to install a below deck autopilot system and I also had problems getting nmea info out of the ockam electronics. We tried to make it work, I'm just glad we had enough crew to hand steer. Going forwards this is no longer the voyage I had planned for but I'm glad we made it as far as we did, crossing the north Atlantic was awesome.

#74 wkd928

wkd928

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 04:26 PM

We are now offering the boat for sale here in the UK and we are open to offers if anyone wants to come over and pick up where we have left off. She is certainly a seaworthy boat and completely ready to go - with the right crew or some form of self steering.

#75 wkd928

wkd928

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 06:23 PM

Im sorry i completely suck at embedding youtube clips... but here is some video from our crossing:

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.c...ed/ykf3eEGe65s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#76 sailglobal

sailglobal

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:37 PM

Congratulations, looked like a pretty ordinary passage, not too much breeze and mostly off wind. Question is why would anyone planning to go to Enzed sail to England from North America? Isn't that a little backwards? Good luck with your plans, whether that means selling your yacht or continuing on with the passage.

#77 wkd928

wkd928

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:46 AM

Only having been the once I couldn't tell anyone what ordinary should be out there but we did feel that sustained wind over 40 knots was more than enough breeze! Our plans have evolved and changed, I'm glad of the experience but we are putting the boat on the market and doing something different. There are loads of reasons behind this decision and it's not just a case of 'a rough passage' putting us off - as you can see.

#78 Joli

Joli

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 06:27 PM

That's the great thing about a free society, we're unrestricted from changing our course as we desire.

Glad you had a great adventure and we wish you all the best with your new endeavors.

Joli

#79 sailglobal

sailglobal

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 06:50 PM

There's no doubt you handled the conditions well and had a faster than average passage. Your yacht appeared to be well prepared and you seemed to be up to the task, and based on the video there were memorable times aboard. A change in plans needs no explanation, you've already done more than most and have memories for the grandkids

#80 wkd928

wkd928

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:22 PM

Cheers guys, its been a great sail so far and im pleased i could share it with the cruising anarchists :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users