• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 SmartPig

SmartPig

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:34 PM

After a fair amount of searching, I finally settled on a knife to carry.

SOG TWITCH II

I've been looking for a compact and slender pocket knife (one handed opening) that will primarily serve in an emergency (worst fear is probably No. 1 with everyone - falling overboard caught in a line).

Compact and slender with 2.68" blade. Absolutely one-handed (spring loaded) opening. As lightning fast as a switch-blade. Hard anodized-aluminum handle and AUS-8 stainless steel cryogenically heat-treated blade for a razor sharp edge. If it ever needs sharpening, it'll take to a stone very nicely.

Here is the spec page -- be sure and watch the short video

SOG Twitch II. SOG Twitch 2 Folding Knife From SOG Specialty Knives & Tools

#2 miahmouse

miahmouse

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:10 PM

Had one similar - Kershaw scallion http://www.kershawkn...dge-p-8623.html

the guys at TSA thought it was nice enough that they kept mine... thieving bastards...

For actual safety, a fixed blade with a blunt tip can't be beat...

#3 SmartPig

SmartPig

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:29 PM

For actual safety, a fixed blade with a blunt tip can't be beat...

I considered it, but it doesn't fit well in my pocket. And I can't stand things on belts (knives, cell phones, whatever).

#4 Rex II

Rex II

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • Interests:Cats, Kites,Canters,being on plane and the open ocean

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:28 AM

Recently replaced my Gerber Remix after a degenerate second hand guest stole mine off my boat. You all know the second hand guest right? When someone you invited brings along some sketch tag along and you get stuck with the fucker.

anyway the Replacement Remix is absolute junk compared to the identical model I purchased a year ago. Even the printing on the packaging is lesser quality. Still have no idea what happened to them.

Anyway, the SOG look like a quality instrument, report back your experience.

Cheers

#5 Monkey

Monkey

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,368 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:40 AM

I still opt for the good old Leatherman Wave. Can't go wrong.

#6 zerothehero

zerothehero

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,388 posts
  • Interests:sailing. Duh.

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:14 AM

I have a SOG Leatherman type tool. I like it. It's well made. I also have 2 Leathermans, a Gerber,and 2 spyderco's. Don't ask my why or how I got all of them, each came about it's own way.

#7 Pete M

Pete M

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,869 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 03:47 AM

automatic rescue knives are tough to get in california

but if you know a firefighter of a cop or active duty mil, they can get you one

#8 RtWL

RtWL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:26 AM

From the inventor of the one handed knife A.G. Russell...

http://www.agrussell.com/ag-russell-seamaster/p/AGSA-118TI/ Posted Image

or http://www.agrussell...de/p/Khhh93C10/

One of the best knife makers around. I've carried an original one hand knife for years.
Posted Image

#9 Alpha FB

Alpha FB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 966 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:14 AM

After a fair amount of searching, I finally settled on a knife to carry.

SOG TWITCH II

Aluminium body, steel blade, salt water - doesn't sound like a very good mix...

#10 Cuttyhunker

Cuttyhunker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:15 PM

I am a fan of my Swiss army mariner. Got it from an ex from college and still going strong. It is small and has everything I have needed sailing.

#11 USA190520

USA190520

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:01 PM

Buck "rush"

Spring loaded, super sharp, thin so it's not cumbersome, fits neatly in front pocket and has a lifetime warranty including free sharpening. I've got 3, send one back about every 6mo. and a brand new one usually arrives shortly thereafter.

As for multi tools.. Gerber suspension... Decent tool for a decent price and easily replaced.

But nothing, and I mean nothing comes close to a Hittori Hanzo.

#12 SmartPig

SmartPig

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 06:23 PM

Buck "rush"

Spring loaded, super sharp, thin so it's not cumbersome, fits neatly in front pocket and has a lifetime warranty including free sharpening. I've got 3, send one back about every 6mo. and a brand new one usually arrives shortly thereafter.

Watching the video of your Buck Rush -- it is almost identical to the SOG Twitch II. Only real difference is that the safety lock is located closer to the kicker.

#13 tamaozy

tamaozy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 11:22 PM

From the inventor of the one handed knife A.G. Russell...

http://www.agrussell...r/p/AGSA-118TI/ Posted Image

or http://www.agrussell...de/p/Khhh93C10/

One of the best knife makers around. I've carried an original one hand knife for years.
Posted Image

For $275 that thing had better come with a blow job every 100 miles....

#14 RtWL

RtWL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:32 AM

For $275 that thing had better come with a blow job every 100 miles....

There's a $175 version, too. It's a one hander version. :o

#15 President Eisenhowler

President Eisenhowler

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,477 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:19 AM

Haven't seen Practical Sailor magazine in years, but I do remember this quote from their review of knives:

When your nuts are being sucked into the mainsheet block, that's not the time to be fiddling with a folding knife.

#16 Stubby

Stubby

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:46 AM

I just bought the Gill Personal Rescue Knife cuts through rope like butter... First race I had it and I had to chop a heady halyard after the case broke at the clutch. It is one hand opening but not spring assisted as this isn't legal in Australia.

#17 SemiSalt

SemiSalt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,538 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:12 PM

anyway the Replacement Remix is absolute junk compared to the identical model I purchased a year ago. Even the printing on the packaging is lesser quality. Still have no idea what happened to them.

Illegal knock-off?

#18 n0w0rries

n0w0rries

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:53 PM

I like the Leatherman Skeletool. You can find it for $35-$40 online. The blade is partially serrated. It's got a bottle opener on it. What more could you possibly need? I like the damascus steel AG Russel there but didn't see it online, but $275 for a knife is ridiculous. Buy a skeletool and then go to the titty bar with the $240 you saved.Posted Image

#19 Par Avion

Par Avion

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • Interests:Firefighting, sailing, beer.

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:35 PM

The main thing to know about a "rescue knife" is to NEVER use it. You need to cut something? Use something else. It has one purpose, to save your life/ serious emergencies. Most people spend a ton on a knife only to beat it up cutting up some cheese and salami day in and day out.

I've been that guy.

#20 ShockValue

ShockValue

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:16 PM

This place is asleep or something for this to be up here this long... Let me help.

A ) Wrong Forum
B ) Been discussed ad-nauseum in previous threads (UTFSE)
C ) This thread reeks of someone who needs to buy an ad.

But since I'm human and I just can't resist the "ME TOO" urge, this is what I got:

NRS Co-Pilot: $35.00
One handed operation. Rugged clip. Blunt tip. Stainless. Small. And the most important part - Bottle opener.
I can't verify if it works or not since I've never had to use it. But I've practiced yanking it out and putting it back in one handed (giggity) and it seems to work OK.

Posted Image

#21 USA190520

USA190520

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:57 PM

To add to the above, never let someone "borrow" your knife. Always ask "what for?" and then direct them to the shitty rusted pos in the tool bag.

I learned that the hard way... Lent my brand new knife to a douche who proceeded to cut down a batten with it... Yep, it cut through one batten, one batten only..

#22 QLite

QLite

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 06:21 AM

Though a sheathed non-folding knife is best, the Chgo Mac now requires a single hand operable knife. I've greatly appreciated my Myerchin (http://www.myerchin.com/L377P.html) w/ a locking blade and locking marlinspike but it's not easy to open with one hand. I've placed a small #6 machine screw w/lock nut in the useless shackle key slot to try and create my own one hand thumb lever but it's a bit clunky. Can anyone recommend a good foldable personal knife that has a locking marlinspike. I am not interested in any extras like pliers, bottle openers, etc. I just want a solid single handed blade that is ideally sheep footed blunt, serrated for fast line cutting and a solid marlinspike. The Boye boat knife w/ Marlinspike looks good but the reviews of the quality of the glad aren't very positive. They don't seem to hold an edge. (http://boyeknives.com/products.cfm)
Seems impossible to find... advice anyone....

From Chgo Mac MSR: "Personal Safety Knife – A knife, fixed blade or, if folding, able to be opened with one hand, to be attached to or carried on each crew member at all times when on deck. The Personal Safety Knife must be readily accessible at all times including while wearing foul weather gear and PFD/Harnesses."

#23 oldweezer

oldweezer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:29 PM

Haven't seen Practical Sailor magazine in years, but I do remember this quote from their review of knives:

When your nuts are being sucked into the mainsheet block, that's not the time to be fiddling with a folding knife.

Thanks for the coffee on my monitor, that is some mental image!

#24 casc27

casc27

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:31 PM

This place is asleep or something for this to be up here this long... Let me help.

A ) Wrong Forum

But since I'm human and I just can't resist the "ME TOO" urge, this is what I got:

One handed operation. Rugged clip. Blunt tip. Stainless. Small. And the most important part - Bottle opener.
I can't verify if it works or not since I've never had to use it. But I've practiced yanking it out and putting it back in one handed (giggity) and it seems to work OK.

Posted Image

Bottle opener? Only $35? Now that's what I'm talking about!

#25 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:49 PM

I am a fan of my Swiss army mariner. Got it from an ex from college and still going strong. It is small and has everything I have needed sailing.

Great!

What kind of sailing shoes go best with that knife?

#26 DogWillBark

DogWillBark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:57 PM

I like the Leatherman Skeletool. You can find it for $35-$40 online. The blade is partially serrated. It's got a bottle opener on it. What more could you possibly need? I like the damascus steel AG Russel there but didn't see it online, but $275 for a knife is ridiculous. Buy a skeletool and then go to the titty bar with the $240 you saved.Posted Image

+1

#27 Jonathan Green

Jonathan Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • Interests:US East coast single & double handed distance racing

Posted 20 April 2012 - 04:07 PM

Posted Image

hat tip: John Keane

#28 blackjenner

blackjenner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,595 posts
  • Interests:MrsBlack, Brigadoon, freedom

Posted 20 April 2012 - 05:31 PM

Posted Image

hat tip: John Keane

I gotta admit that this has a ring of truth to it.

#29 RParentsail

RParentsail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, watersports

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:06 PM

This knife has never let me down!!!!

http://www.overstock...14/product.html

#30 Moonduster

Moonduster

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,366 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 02:58 PM

I'd really like to hear from any person who has ever successfully used a knife to cut their tether while pinned under water.

I simply cannot imagine winding up pinned under water, disoriented, probably in thermal shock, struggling to find a knife, open a knife and get through a tether and then make it to the surface wearing thermals, foul weather gear, boots and a PFD through the carnage resulting from whatever put you there in the first place.

A leatherman is certainly the worst tool for this job. Any folding knife a distant second from a good sheath knife. The NRS Co-Pilot seems like a reasonable stab (no pun intended) at a solution - but I frankly don't believe that most would come close to self rescue in cold water unless it was a case of slipping through the lifelines in slo-mo after a slip ...

#31 duncan (the other one)

duncan (the other one)

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 02:49 AM

I'd really like to hear from any person who has ever successfully used a knife to cut their tether while pinned under water.

I simply cannot imagine winding up pinned under water, disoriented, probably in thermal shock, struggling to find a knife, open a knife and get through a tether and then make it to the surface wearing thermals, foul weather gear, boots and a PFD through the carnage resulting from whatever put you there in the first place.

A leatherman is certainly the worst tool for this job. Any folding knife a distant second from a good sheath knife. The NRS Co-Pilot seems like a reasonable stab (no pun intended) at a solution - but I frankly don't believe that most would come close to self rescue in cold water unless it was a case of slipping through the lifelines in slo-mo after a slip ...

I'd have to agree in general.. but certainly I can think of scenarios where the boat founders and starts going down, you're not in the water yet, and you have time to think of self-preservation, but not enough to unclip yourself.

A sheathed (non-folder) might be in your hand as the water rises.

If you end up pinned underwater and the boat and rest of crew are still functional, then you're relying on them.

There's also lots of scenarios where a sheathed knife needs to be handy asap. Always keep one taped to the pedestal/tiller, for example.

#32 SmartPig

SmartPig

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 01:11 PM

May issue of SW has a good article on this topic.

#33 bottlerocket

bottlerocket

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 01:22 PM

This knife has never let me down!!!!

http://www.overstock...14/product.html

Alinghi Yachtsman? Just saying...

#34 Stubby

Stubby

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:37 AM

Thats why I like my Gill Personal Rescue knife... has a purpose built tether cutter, they also make a tether cutter that sits in a sheath on your PFD. The other thing I like about these tether cutters is your not gonna cut yourself with them because the blade is fully protected as the little 'guide' doesn't let your finger in.

Also the rounded serrations on the blade mean that it doesn't grab on the rope like sharp serrations would.

#35 silent bob

silent bob

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,428 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:46 AM

Posted Image

Don't bring a knife to a gun fight!

#36 schoonerman

schoonerman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,273 posts
  • Interests:sailing, sex and success...not necessarily in order

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:44 PM

People always give me shit about my 'leathergirl' then borrow it constantly.

Leatherman Charge works well for me as I seem to always need allen wrenches oboists the days. Have to admit, I can damn near disassemble a boat with the F'n thing. Serrated and plain locking blades made of 154CM, saw, pliers. Holds up well in the salt too.

#37 FreemanMcgowan

FreemanMcgowan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:cooking

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:06 AM

I always take American Angler Electric Fillet Knife with me, it is very safe and easy to use.

#38 StumbleNola

StumbleNola

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Interests:Um... Sailing

Posted 09 June 2012 - 05:23 AM

http://ceramicknife.org/

The riggers knife is the only knife I have ever used that can cut spectra/dyneema lines on the first cut, every time. And I hate serrated blades, they are impossible to resharpen (ok not impossible, but take more work than its worth).

#39 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,823 posts
  • Interests:boats, cars, girls....

Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:52 AM

http://ceramicknife.org/

The riggers knife is the only knife I have ever used that can cut spectra/dyneema lines on the first cut, every time. And I hate serrated blades, they are impossible to resharpen (ok not impossible, but take more work than its worth).

$49.95 Rigger’s Ceramic Knife

It appears that sailors in particular require a one hand opening knife. A ceramic folding knife has particular appeal due to the need to cut some lines containing “Kevlar” and other really tough materials. This knife design uses a reverse tanto point to reduce the possibility of an accidental deep wound on a tossing vessel. Using a white ceramic blade on this knife serves to keep costs a bit lower AND does satisfy sailor’s penchant for wearing white costumes. This ceramic pocketknife again has a blade length of just under 3” to satisfy most regulations about concealed knives. Folded it measures 3 ¾” and has a handle width of only 3/8”. Now produced with a pocket clip and two sided thumb stud.

ROFLMAO!!

#40 mrzarch

mrzarch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 02:39 PM

A ) Wrong Forum

Posted Image

Bottle opener? Only $35? Now that's what I'm talking about!

It's a great knife. Super easy to get out of its holder, very effective. Only thing it's missing is a hook to cut small lines.
I woudn't go to sea without one on my hip.

#41 USA190520

USA190520

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 11:26 PM

Quick release on your tether, splice it in, practice using it, practice again, get used to its function, it'll become second nature to pull the "I'm outta here" string.

Save the knife that you'll cut yourself with or drop for cutting rope and the occasional apple.

#42 aldo

aldo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 04:15 AM

Yhe original poster refered to pocket knives which I assume means "carry everywhere" not some machete that gets tied to your thigh.

#43 Hoff27

Hoff27

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Interests:wind, water

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:40 AM

The main thing to know about a "rescue knife" is to NEVER use it. You need to cut something? Use something else. It has one purpose, to save your life/ serious emergencies. Most people spend a ton on a knife only to beat it up cutting up some cheese and salami day in and day out.

I've been that guy.

Thats BS,
your rescue knife should be wel used (and maintained). You have to be able to operate it blindly upside down with one hand, without cutting yourself. Knowing exactly what your knife can and can't do in every situation. When grabbing my knife blindly, in know wich way is the sharp edge, 'feel' how long it is, how quik it wil cut rope, mesh and wood. That is becuase is use it daily on board for anything. You need to know your knife as good as you girls's tits. Offcourse i keep an exact spare copy on board in case i break the old one

This one wil cost you 40 euro's, about 2 dollars i think..

Attached Files

• Attached File  mes1.jpg   90.69K   20 downloads

#44 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 02:02 PM

Yhe original poster refered to pocket knives which I assume means "carry everywhere" not some machete that gets tied to your thigh.

My goodness, you are a bright light bulb, aren't you?

#45 2high2tight

2high2tight

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,552 posts
  • Interests:sailing, sailing porn, porn

Posted 10 June 2012 - 06:55 PM

carry a skeletool clipped to belt. Gill Folder AND $5 seat belt cutter on PFD (why fuck around with a knife).

NRS Co Pilot fixed river knives velcro'd to pedestal and vang.Great push button sheath releases.

When you need sharp -- and its not for cheddar -- you cant have too much around.

#46 sledracr

sledracr

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,177 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 08:48 PM

Spyderco Endura. half-plain, half-serrated blade.

Light enough to carry every day, cheap enough that you don't cry when you lose one, easy one-handed opening, and sharp enough to get stuff done.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users