11 replies to this topic

#1 phrfwanker

phrfwanker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:42 PM

good, bad, ugly? any thoughts, opinions?

#2 Jambalaya

Jambalaya

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,268 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:16 AM

The 92 can take an overlapping headsail, the shrouds on the S go to the gunwhale. I used to sail my 92 with just a #3 but for sure in lighter air a boat with a genoa would outperform adjusted for handicap (under IRC). Both boats go pretty well in light air.

#3 crash

crash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,697 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:21 PM

The 92 can take an overlapping headsail, the shrouds on the S go to the gunwhale. I used to sail my 92 with just a #3 but for sure in lighter air a boat with a genoa would outperform adjusted for handicap (under IRC). Both boats go pretty well in light air.

A 92s is generally about 12 sec faster under PHRF than a 92. 92 actually has slightly more upwind sail area than the 92s plus can carry a 155 genny that the 92s can't. So upwind the 92 should beat a 92s to the upwind mark in light air. Downwind the 92s carries a much bigger masthead asym, where as the 92's asym is smaller (frac rig), so the 92s should be faster downwind in light air. Given that you always want to be first to the upwind mark, and that you'll spend more time going upwind than down, in the end they might end up pretty evenly matched...

#4 notallthere

notallthere

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
  • Interests:any sport that starts with S

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:34 PM

92 w/ overlappers. Toss a MH kite on. Buy silver cleaner.

#5 JL92S

JL92S

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:03 PM

Also a slightly deeper and lower COG keel, larger cockpit and larger rudder, rudder uses proper bearing as well I think, different backstay arrangement as well i think and also a mainsheet with fine and coarse purchase, the S uses a Volvo 13hp sail drive rather than a 10hp yanmar with a shaft drive

#6 crash

crash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,697 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:31 PM

Also a slightly deeper and lower COG keel, larger cockpit and larger rudder, rudder uses proper bearing as well I think, different backstay arrangement as well i think and also a mainsheet with fine and coarse purchase, the S uses a Volvo 13hp sail drive rather than a 10hp yanmar with a shaft drive

Those are all good things, but many of them are of less import in light air (lower keel COG, deeper rudder, backstay, and fine/coarse tune)....

#7 JL92S

JL92S

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:03 PM

Those are all good things, but many of them are of less import in light air (lower keel COG, deeper rudder, backstay, and fine/coarse tune)....

The keel is a narrower and more efficient in shape, the keel is more similar to the 109's and the standard 92 is more like the 105 so the S has a keel better suited for light air. The higher aspect ratio rig has more sail area and a taller mast which ads to the light airs performance.

#8 crash

crash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,697 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:15 AM

The keel is a narrower and more efficient in shape, the keel is more similar to the 109's and the standard 92 is more like the 105 so the S has a keel better suited for light air. The higher aspect ratio rig has more sail area and a taller mast which ads to the light airs performance.

Good points...though according to J/boats own site the 92s has 505 sq ft of sail area (100%) and the 92 has 526 sq ft (100%). Rig dimensions do show 92s rig being taller and boom longer. So 92s should have more sail area. Sailboatdata.com shows 92 with only 470 sqft and 92s with 505. So I think maybe an error on the J/Boats page for the 92...maybe its showing SA (@ 526 sqft) for a 155 Genny and its mis labled as the 100% SA

#9 Damp Freddie

Damp Freddie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,459 posts
  • Interests:sport boats, 59er poss' and developments: beer.

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:37 AM

The 92 standard seemed to go really quick VMG footed off just a bit.

Does the 92s sail higher with the different sail plan, mast, keel, erm rudder making a benefit to height and overall VMG?

#10 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,680 posts
  • Interests:Racing in all forms.

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:10 AM

Blimey, you wait for months for a Damp Freddie then three come along at once. Have you been trapped inside a trouser press?

#11 Damp Freddie

Damp Freddie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,459 posts
  • Interests:sport boats, 59er poss' and developments: beer.

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:00 PM

I have been a tramline free man for several years now Dogwatch!

doing a bit of classics ( worlds oldest 8m this summer) and teaching the feva group.

I remember "computer centre" from Dublin mashing its way through the smegma 33 fleet I was in, going way fast and way low, but with amazing light air VMG: i mean especially because those Irish guys were not afraid of a pie and a guinees or 12.

They were allowed to sail SBR at tarbert which was a pincy-wincy little bit unfair IMHO.

#12 Furkolkjaaf

Furkolkjaaf

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:10 PM

Good points...though according to J/boats own site the 92s has 505 sq ft of sail area (100%) and the 92 has 526 sq ft (100%). Rig dimensions do show 92s rig being taller and boom longer. So 92s should have more sail area. Sailboatdata.com shows 92 with only 470 sqft and 92s with 505. So I think maybe an error on the J/Boats page for the 92...maybe its showing SA (@ 526 sqft) for a 155 Genny and its mis labled as the 100% SA

indeed, calculating from P,E,I,J data on the same page : 100% SA = P*E/2+I*J/2 = 470 sq ft therefore 526 should be the value with the large genoa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users