129 replies to this topic

#101 Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,523 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 11:44 PM

There are two possibilities. 1. Obama is a fucking ignoramus when it comes to economics and he actually believes that handing over entire sectors of the economy (health care, energy) to government is going to result in a better economy,

By what possible stretch of the imagination does Obama's health care plan, which empowers private insurance companies beyond their wildest dreams, constitute "handing over an entire sector of the economy" to government?

Forget it, he's rolling.

#102 RedTuna

RedTuna

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:20 AM

Hon. Danny Davis (IL-07)

Hey, just because he hangs with and takes lifetime achievement awards from commies doesn't make him a commie, does it?

http://content.bitso...EeFxrK-svqBtzyp

#103 NGS

NGS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,073 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:27 AM

I understand that OBL will not be endorsing Obama.
Something about him being dead and all.

Since when is being dead an obstacle to voting for Democrats?

#104 Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,523 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:44 AM

Posted Image

#105 Olsonist

Olsonist

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,269 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:45 AM

I understand that OBL will not be endorsing Obama.
Something about him being dead and all.

Since when is being dead an obstacle to voting for Democrats?

Since when is being dead an obstacle to being baptized Mormon?

#106 Mark K

Mark K

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,407 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:20 AM

Used to be, you wouldn't expect to see this sort of thing on anyone but a Soviet (or Satellite there of) general. The Brits (or brits -lower case for the lesser wannabe states? I dunno..) do that shit, but it's for white or black tie (that better be a bow tie the-ah, Guv'nah...eh wot?) events only.

Posted Image

Anybody remember seeing this before? I mean, in murika??

#107 jacksparrow

jacksparrow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts
  • Interests:m

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:18 AM

He isn't alone. I know people that buy into a lot of his looney tunes nonsense.

I don't believe that NGS is "looney tunes" at all.

To me, one of the real eye-openers from the health care town meetings that were conducted and televised in the early 1990s, was to hear people express the position that America's urban drug addiction problems, and crack in particular, were a white genocidal plot against blacks. Now I don't personally buy that position, and I think it's even a little bit paranoid and crazy, but the arguments had a consistency to them, and none of the logical steps involved were too far out there. And the people expressing that position, judging by their mode of dress, their mode of speaking, and their general demeanor, appeared to be high functioning middle class professionals. The political class ignores the perceptions of such a group at its own peril.

My point? "Obama is a Communist bent on destroying America" may be a crazy position, but the people who hold it are not crazy, and neither they nor the process by which they were led to that conclusion can safely be ignored.

There are two possibilities. 1. Obama is a fucking ignoramus when it comes to economics and he actually believes that handing over entire sectors of the economy (health care, energy) to government is going to result in a better economy, or 2. it is all about Cloward-Piven. I'm inclined to go with 2, because I don't think Obama is stupid. He is rather a very bright guy, and this very intentional. We are headed for the abyss, and if he gets another four years? Well, Nellie, bar the door.

Can you rationally explain how Obama handed over the health care sector to the government?

#108 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,105 posts
  • Interests:~~/)/)~~

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:51 AM

Used to be, you wouldn't expect to see this sort of thing on anyone but a Soviet (or Satellite there of) general. The Brits (or brits -lower case for the lesser wannabe states? I dunno..) do that shit, but it's for white or black tie (that better be a bow tie the-ah, Guv'nah...eh wot?) events only.

Posted Image

Yeah, I thought this was weird at the time:

Vice Admiral C. Everett Koop, USPHS

Posted Image

An Admiral of Public Health?

Dr. Moe can claim that title here on the forum for amusement purposes, but I'm pretty sure Koop was serious.

#109 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,105 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:55 AM

Can you rationally explain how Obama handed over the health care sector to the government?

Yeah, I can. They just had a whole big thing about it at the Supreme Court. Obama didn't do it by himself. James Madison helped.

You see, everyone participates in the health care market, so everyone should have to buy government-approved insurance in that market. Failure to do so affects interstate commerce, just like growing your own cannabis plants for personal medical use or having a gun near a school. What's not rational about that?

#110 Damp Freddie

Damp Freddie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,459 posts
  • Interests:sport boats, 59er poss' and developments: beer.

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:25 AM

Join " Don't believe the liberal media" campaign and ensure that the US is an oligarchy where foreign companies can now also buy out judges and politicians. Yes, freedom is a greatness to behold.

Welcome to the post democratic era US.

Have SA made you sign a "Binding Arbitration" clause, where an attorney would be payed by the defendent company to act in a fair and unbiased way against your interests completely.

Like Hershey's, keep it at home please guys?

#111 craigiri

craigiri

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,340 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Innovation, Web Development, Writing, etc.

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:14 AM

You see, everyone participates in the health care market, so everyone should have to buy government-approved insurance in that market. Failure to do so affects interstate commerce, just like growing your own cannabis plants for personal medical use or having a gun near a school. What's not rational about that?

Sounds fine to me - the alternative seems to be to force the costs of those who won't cover themselves on others.

Now, if you want to go with my "implant a chip saying not to scrape me off the road" idea, then that makes sense too. But the government is attempting to take care of the general welfare and happiness and health of the people. How dare they???

#112 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,105 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:17 AM

Sounds fine to me - the alternative seems to be to force the costs of those who won't cover themselves on others.

Now, if you want to go with my "implant a chip saying not to scrape me off the road" idea, then that makes sense too. But the government is attempting to take care of the general welfare and happiness and health of the people. How dare they???

No, they are not. The differences between programs like Social Security, in which government taxes and spends to promote the general welfare and a program like the new health care bill, in which the government is regulating interstate commerce, are clear to anyone who has looked into the powers of our federal government. If you look into them one day, you too may understand the difference. Possibly.

#113 JMD

JMD

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,394 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:23 AM

Posted Image

Wardrobe from the business line (new this spring) from Coutoure by Amin.

#114 Mark K

Mark K

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,407 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:13 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Dr. Moe can claim that title here on the forum for amusement purposes, but I'm pretty sure Koop was serious.

Do any of your suits sport service stripes on the sleeves?

#115 mr_fabulous

mr_fabulous

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,984 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:47 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

The Public Health Service is a branch of the Uniformed Services. They wear uniforms similar to the Navy's. Yes, they wear them every day at work....

In fact, the USPHScommissioned officer ranks as the United States Navy Coast Gaurd and NOAA all the way from ensign to Admiral. You see them all the time in Bethesda, MD

#116 Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,523 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:51 PM

Leave the Colonel ALONE! (and don't ask about his discharge).

#117 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,105 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:53 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

We're going to get into personal questions? OK. What's your name?

Don't go all Clarence Thomas on me on that one! Disclosure is good! ;)

FWIW, I'm not all that impressed with West and wearing medals strikes me as tinpot dictator behavior. It struck me that way with Koop too. I know his uniform is legitimate, but he's an Admiral of Public Health. It's not OK to be amused by that?

#118 Saorsa

Saorsa

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:38 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

The Public Health Service is a branch of the Uniformed Services. They wear uniforms similar to the Navy's. Yes, they wear them every day at work....

In fact, the USPHScommissioned officer ranks as the United States Navy Coast Gaurd and NOAA all the way from ensign to Admiral. You see them all the time in Bethesda, MD

NOAA has more admirals than ships.

#119 d'ranger

d'ranger

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,326 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:35 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

NOAA has more admirals than ships.

That is admirable. West is still a Nutter 1st Class.

#120 Olsonist

Olsonist

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,269 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 04:33 PM

There are 216 Admirals (flag officers) in the Navy.
There are around 400 active duty ships.

#121 jacksparrow

jacksparrow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts
  • Interests:m

Posted 14 April 2012 - 04:40 PM

Yeah, I can. They just had a whole big thing about it at the Supreme Court. Obama didn't do it by himself. James Madison helped.

Regulating is not a "take over"
have state governments "taken over" car insurance? Has the Federal Government taken over the Airlines, chicken farming, oil companys, mining companys etc.? If you disagree with the mandate then say so, this canard about a "government takeover" is just not true

#122 Mark K

Mark K

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,407 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:24 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

FWIW, I'm not all that impressed with West and wearing medals strikes me as tinpot dictator behavior. It struck me that way with Koop too. I know his uniform is legitimate, but he's an Admiral of Public Health. It's not OK to be amused by that?

Well wipe your eyes and blow your nose. When you get done crying over the awful way you are being treated, listen up. Ya might learn something.

You have it right, it's not kosher to be wearing ones medals on a business suit. This says something about the man. There is another indication, like he could have used his ribbons instead of displaying his danglies, like Koop did, that he is doing that to play something up for ignorant civilians.

There has been a tread in recent times for military people to dress with every bit of junk they ever collected. It's typically a lot of stuff these days, the brass likes to hand out merit badges like candy to kids within our current institutional culture. It's impossible to get to the level in the military where your picture in uniform is in the news on a regular basis without collecting a metric shitload. See David Petraeus. Now look at his fellow classmate from the illustrious West Point class of 73', Stan McCrystal. It's a clue as to what they believe is important. How they think.

#123 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,105 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:58 PM

Well wipe your eyes and blow your nose. When you get done crying over the awful way you are being treated, listen up. Ya might learn something.

You have it right, it's not kosher to be wearing ones medals on a business suit. This says something about the man. There is another indication, like he could have used his ribbons instead of displaying his danglies, like Koop did, that he is doing that to play something up for ignorant civilians.

There has been a tread in recent times for military people to dress with every bit of junk they ever collected. It's typically a lot of stuff these days, the brass likes to hand out merit badges like candy to kids within our current institutional culture. It's impossible to get to the level in the military where your picture in uniform is in the news on a regular basis without collecting a metric shitload. See David Petraeus. Now look at his fellow classmate from the illustrious West Point class of 73', Stan McCrystal. It's a clue as to what they believe is important. How they think.

Geez, I was just having a little fun with your question, not complaining about anything.

I'm unimpressed by military stuff on civilians. West wearing his medals as a campaign stunt makes me think less of him, not more. I'd feel the same way about ribbons. I think calling the Attorney General "General" is also silly. And I still have not gotten my head around the Surgeon General being anything but a civilian. Knowing he is technically not a civilian doesn't really help.

#124 Remodel

Remodel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,438 posts
  • Interests:Sailboat racing and long distance cruising

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:55 PM

You just don't get it. He handed it to the INSURANCE industry based on the Romney model. Had he gone for the single-payer option, that would have been handing it over to the government.

#125 Olsonist

Olsonist

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,269 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:01 PM

You just don't get it. He handed it to the INSURANCE industry based on the Romney model. Had he gone for the single-payer option, that would have been handing it over to the government.

Even that's a stretch. Providers would still have been private. Health Insurance Companies force me to like Single Payer.

#126 Mark K

Mark K

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,407 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:08 PM

Geez, I was just having a little fun with your question, not complaining about anything.

I'm unimpressed by military stuff on civilians. West wearing his medals as a campaign stunt makes me think less of him, not more. I'd feel the same way about ribbons. I think calling the Attorney General "General" is also silly. And I still have not gotten my head around the Surgeon General being anything but a civilian. Knowing he is technically not a civilian doesn't really help.

The symbol of our creep towards militarism and imperial pretentiousness worthy of attack:

"Homeland" Security.

#127 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,105 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 11:23 PM

Who is the tiger and who is holding the tail?

The INSURANCE industry will now offer products approved by Congress, covering what Congress wants covered and charging what Congress says is fair. But they can control Congress, right?

#128 Mark K

Mark K

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,407 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 11:40 PM

The INSURANCE industry will now offer products approved by Congress, covering what Congress wants covered and charging what Congress says is fair. But they can control Congress, right?

Are you suggesting that corporations vote?

#129 Olsonist

Olsonist

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,269 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 11:54 PM

Why will ObamaCare change the fact of whether or not Corporations control Congress?
That's more of an empirical factóCorporations do in fact control Congress.
ObamaCare doesn't give Corporations a Constitutional right to control Congress.
That right was granted in Citizens United.

#130 craigiri

craigiri

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,340 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Innovation, Web Development, Writing, etc.

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:14 AM

Do you mean like the aviation industry offering planes approved by Congress and the drug companies offering pills approved by congress and the car companies offering cars approved by Congress and our industries putting out pollution levels approved by congress?

Or something else?B)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users