112 replies to this topic

#101 cavi

cavi

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 10:03 PM

Out of curiosity, has anyone here installed a cleat on the side of their mast to hook the halyard to?  I have always bunched mine up and velcrowed it to the mast but that leaves it slack so it moves alot in the wind and bugs me.  I just do not know about putting extra holes in the mast.....

#102 Shu

Shu

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,292 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 10:08 PM

I tie a couple of bungees around the mast.  Coil the halyard, slip the coil under the two bungees and you're done.

#103 Great Red Shark

Great Red Shark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,059 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 10:53 PM

If I wanted to affix something to the mast,  I'd just glue it on with some G-flex - NOT make a hole in the spar,  but I've found that halyard tail can be easily-enough stowed in the packet of the sail,  with some tension provided by hooking it into the outhaul-blocks mount on the forward end of the boom,  as illustrated in the rigging diagram  

#104 cavi

cavi

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 10:58 PM

the two bungees sound like a good idea.  But I might still glue a cleat on. then coil the rest and do the bungee thing.  I do not like putting it in the sail pocket, don't ask why....

#105 Great Red Shark

Great Red Shark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,059 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 11:05 PM

It's where you're keeping your stash,  right ?

#106 cavi

cavi

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 11:06 PM

On another note, this weekend was the first time back in the boat since November.  Since then I had been thinking I might want to swap into a RS Aero next year, but after this weekend that idea is gone.  I honestly cannot think of another boat I would enjoy more than my megabyte!!!  Yesterday the wind was probably around 12 knots but with 18knot gusts hitting every couple of minutes and lasting for under a minute.  they were strong to force like a 35% shift upwind to avoid a swim, or of course I could have let out the sail, but what fun would that have been.  I will say, my legs felt like jello after less than 2 hours of constant going from side of the boat to  hiking position when the gusts would hit!!!!  To make matters more fun I goofed on the routing of the downhaul and could not pull it in as much as I would have liked.....

#107 cavi

cavi

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 11:43 PM

This was yesterday, while just leaving the dock before getting to the windy areas!

Attached Files

• Attached File  meg.jpg   312.63KB   5 downloads

#108 Great Red Shark

Great Red Shark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,059 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 02:19 AM

Yeah - downhaul makes a BIG difference in the breeze - and you REALY should check out a Mark 2 sail if you haven't yet - BIG improvement,  especially in the breeze

#109 cavi

cavi

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 03:39 AM

my lake is normally an 8 to 10 knot at best lake.  Yesterday was not normal, fun but not normal.  I like my mkI setup and do not really want to spend over 3000 to upgrade......

I could have parked and fixed the downhaul, but I was having too much fun!!!

#110 Great Red Shark

Great Red Shark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,059 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 07:09 PM

I understand entirely  - I probably wouldn't have gone for the upgrade either,  but I had to replace the mast  ( bought the boat used,  with broken rig ),   now - having sailed the two sail back-to-back....well - the upgrade IS in fact,  an upgrade.

Don't know how well it works on the Mk 1 mast,  but should still be better than the 'soft' sail,  fwiw.

And yeah - the fun factor of the Mega in 12-15 is massive.  My face gets tired from the grin.

#111 cavi

cavi

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 10:36 PM

even at 8 knots the grin is permanent.  I have had many boats like it before, and I love first that it handles my weight, second, it is very predictable.  My Laser would go from full flat lad di duh to Oh Shi## in the blink of an eye, the Mega gives some warning and middleground. Plus the cockpit actually fits two people.  The only other boat I had which worked this well was the Banshee, but it was underpowered for my lake.

#112 Red Dragon

Red Dragon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,533 posts
  • Interests:Acquiring as many scars as is possible.

Posted 24 May 2016 - 06:05 PM

How is this fleet doing now? When I sold mine I think they were transitioning over to a new builder? It's a really nice design and would be a lot of fun in a fleet racing situation, but the largest fleet I was ever able to sail in was three boats. 

RD

#113 Great Red Shark

Great Red Shark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,059 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 06:50 PM

Don't ask me,  the only other one I know of is on Maui,  and I'm not sailing mine up there to race him !

That said,  the class does keep messaging me about events,  and it sounds like they've had a class championship the past few years up in New England somewhere - but that likely won't help you too much,  sorry to say.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users