Seattle Skiff Sailors - Blakely Rock Benefit???

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BalticBandit

BalticBandit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:31 AM

Blakely Rock Benefit is this Saturday. At least two Mustos are planning on doing it - we cannot do it officially since the USCG won't let us participate officially without a crash boat, but we did the course last year.

We basically start with the Melges 24/j105s based on the M24 Portsmouth vs. the Musto Portsmouth. Carry water, a VHF (beer if you want). Last year with the light air, I finished the course in under 2 hrs, and the slowest Musto finished about 30 mins after me.

Its only about a 13 mile course. With a decent breeze it could be under 2 hours.

Forecast is for light wind, but if we get the predicted 10 knots, it would be about a 2hr course.

Any takers?

#2 BalticBandit

BalticBandit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:41 AM

Blakely Rock Benefit is this Saturday. At least two Mustos are planning on doing it - we cannot do it officially since the USCG won't let us participate officially without a crash boat, but we did the course last year.

We basically start with the Melges 24/j105s based on the M24 Portsmouth vs. the Musto Portsmouth. Carry water, a VHF (beer if you want). Last year with the light air, I finished the course in under 2 hrs, and the slowest Musto finished about 30 mins after me.

Its only about a 13 mile course. With a decent breeze it could be under 2 hours.

Forecast is for light wind, but if we get the predicted 10 knots, it would be about a 2hr course.

Any takers?

First gun is at 11:00

I'm guessing a start at around 11:35 with the Melges. Hope to see you guys out there.

#3 Infinite

Infinite

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:47 PM

Any takers?

Did you try? I was snowboarding with my daughter, but I heard from the wife it was a drifter.

#4 BalticBandit

BalticBandit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 02:17 AM

Any takers?

Did you try? I was snowboarding with my daughter, but I heard from the wife it was a drifter.

It wasn't bad... it wasn't great - started off in about 9knots 3/4 trap... the moth started about 10 mins ahead of us and had enough to foil

By the time we hit West Point it was High Trap and then off the trap but stand on the rack up to within about a mile of the rock when it was back to High Trap.

Rounded the rock, heated up and got into the tail of the SE that became an easterly by west Point. The other Musto (USA/Can aka Ron) rounded about 5 mins behind and ended up sailing the easterly down the west shore.

At west point I was ultra shy and overran my breeze. And the teabag turned into a captsize. Exacerbated by the fact that the ultrashy reaching had caused the halyard to jump the sheeve. And with a barge bearing down, my only choice was to right it with the kite dragging, and drag my way out of the barge's path. Meanwhile Ron is cruising on the Easterly on the other shore.

Once clear I had to dump it on purpose to clear the halyard. Then after righting it, it turned out the kite tack had spun around the pole I tried fixing it from the bow but captsizing a third time on purpose was faster.

At this point was able to use the bend around Magnolia to reach into Ballard Blinker. But then the breeze died from shilshole towards Meadow point, and Ron got within 100yds while I was still up by the nothern most hamburger. So he rounded and finished and after I rounded I just rocked in...

They gave him a gun. So definately something to aim for next year again (though I probably won't be here to do it).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users